Topamax
I could easily get a prescription for Topamax as I have migraines and my doc and I talked about it at our last visit.  I would also LOVE the weight loss side effect.  Anyone that has or is taking Topamax - does it make you feel nervous?  Does it make your heart beat faster and/or palpitations?  I have anxiety so I can't use it if it will make me more nervous.  Anybody have bad side effects from Topamax?
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site.  Just started Topamax on 3/09/07 I have noticed that I have lost 6 lbs in the past 11 days .. I haven't changed my eating habits so I can only think that this is a side effect of the medication. A good one I might add. :)  I currently take 1 25 mg pill twice a day and after 2 weeks have to increase my dosage to 3 a day and so on until I get to 175 mg a day. Is there anyone else on this particular dosage?  I haven't had any headaches THANK GOD since starting it. Hopefully I will get some more weight loss :) I would love to lose at least 30 more :)
I keep hearing about all this weight loss with Topamax.  I get bad migraines and it has been suggested that I start Topamax, however I am nervous about the weight loss.  I currently wear a size 0-2, and cannot afford to lose that much weight.  Although everyone likes losing those 5 extra vanity pounds, do I have something to worry about.  Is there anyone who hasn't lost a lot of weight? I don't consume many calories as it is and am concerned if one of the side effects is the lose of appetite.  Is it just loss of appetite or does it put your metabolism into overdrive as well?
Hi Everyone, I have been taking topamax for 1 month now... The side effects have been worth it to me. I would rather have the tingling in my fingers and toes and the 10lb weight loss than the awfull migrains that I was having. I haven't even had a headache since the first full week of taking topamax. My doctor has me at 75mg a day. I take it at night since anything I take makes me sleep. So I always get a good night sleep. Medicine just works differently with different people.  Good luck to all.
Hello friends,

I wanted to share my story to say that there is alternative solutions for us migraine sufferers. My name is Merry Cookston and I am 56 years old. I have suffered from migraine headaches since I was in high school. I was on Topamax 2xs a day plus Zomig when the headaches came on which was about 2 to 3 times per week.  

I would come home on those headache days to a dark room, not being able to eat or talk and nearly vomiting from pain.  At one point, 15 months ago, my husband did have to take me to the hospital because the migraine was so out of control.  It took 5 shots to finally knock out the pain.

After 20 years of pain and trips to the ER, I wanted to find a better way to cope.
I had a doctor friend refer me to a natural product, which has changed my life.  In fact, I have had only 2 migraines in over 15 months.

Over the past couple of months I have been sharing my story with other people who suffer with migraines like me.  My son has created a web page for me so I can reach more people who struggle with migraines and feel like they have NO HOPE.

THERE IS HOPE! Please feel free to check out more information about my story and the healthy alternative I have found to significantly help my migraines.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser window for more information or you can email me at ***@****.

http://web.mac.com/joelcookston/iWeb/Migraines/Merry%20Cookston.html

I've been on Topamax for 6 months with no side effects.  I still get migraines but not like I was. I haven't made any trips to the hospital since being on it. As for Weight Loss-I don't see it.  I'm happy on it.  It has made a difference for me.
My best friends mother has been on Topamax for 5yrs for her migraines and she has lost a ton of weight on it.
some of these comments are very unnerving. i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago and have been on lamictal since. after having continued panic attacks, my doctor added lexapro to my mix. appearently this is normal. in two years, i have gained nearly 30lbs, and on a 5'1 frame, it is really unhealthy. my psych and i have been watching this and yesterday she added topamax to counteract the weight gain and add as an additional mood stabilizer. gradually i will increase my dosage until i reach 100mgs over the next four weeks. i have been warned about vision, memory and numbness, it surprises me that more people haven't heard of this before taking it. i took my first dose last night, and did have trouble falling asleep, although it could have been any number of things. if you are overwieght, and are looking for only the miracle drug, i would not recommend topamax. epilepsy, migranes and bipolar disorder are serious problems with neurological functions. any medication that adjusts those functions in attempt to correct can't be good for a healthy brain. we will see how it goes. hopefully i will be singing its praises not in the emergency room like some of the other members.
Hello everyone, I just wanted to say that im sorry for everyone that has had such a bad deal taking topamax. I am 33 years old and have been suffering with migraines since i was 13. I was put on topamax about 4 months ago and it has been the best thing that I could have done....I take 100mg every nite before bed. the first 4 weeks were hell but after the slow increase my body had gotten use to it and now im fine.....Once in a great while i will lose my thoughts but i get it back in a few seconds..I rather have a brain fart then suffer anymore...As far as the weight loss part of it i have lost 17LBS since taking it...

Its sad to say but i have thee children 3,5,and 13 and I have passed the migraines along to my 5 and 13 year old soooooooo I pray that there is hope for them and that they dont have to suffer like i did for years....

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE
I can understand what Jawyte1202 is going through.  I have been on topamax for about 6 months for migraines.  I am currently taking 100mg.  When I started the medication, I weighed 109 pounds.  I am now down to 101.  I have to make myself eat at times.  I have got to the point at night, I sit down and eat a big bowl of chocolate icecream just to try and keep my weight up.  It's like I eat, but I still keep losing the weight.  I think alot of it is muscle because I used to be a gym rat, but now that I am on this medication, I feel so tired, I don't go to gym and lift weights like I used to.  The side effects are aggravating at times, the numbness, lack of memory, being tired, and just feeling like **** (for lack of better words).  I'm hoping eventually the tiredness will subside and I can get back to my normal routine because this medicine helps my headaches tremendously, but if I keep losing weight and can't get into the gym, I'm going to have to find an alternative.

Good Luck to everyone.
I take Topomax. I didn't realize that was what was making my hands and feet tingle.
Glad I found this site. My doctors didn't know it either. Now I can tell them. I have had
Xrays and blood tests. I am on 400mgs. I have had migranes since 1983. Topomax and Botox is the only thing that works for me. I will put up with the tingle. I also have
fibromyalgia. No thyroid. Breast Cancer. You name I have it. I have Shingles again right now also. The good side affect is the weight loss. I have trouble sleeping so that is another reason they put me on it. Plus Rozerem. I used to take Flexeril and it made me gain weight. Good luck, As long as I know what is making my hands and feet tingle I can hadle it. They gave me something for the pain but it made me to tired and gain weight.
When I went to my doctor, he also didn't know about the tingling in the hands and feet.  He did some research on it and then realized it was the medication.  I can deal with that issue ok.  My biggest problem with the medication is being so tired and run down and the weight loss.  After this weekend, I weighed this morning, I'm now down to 99 pounds.  I'm 5'4, so I'm looking pretty bad at this point.  My husband is starting to complain, as well as everyone else around me.  

I also take tramadol once a day.  It gives me enough energy to make it through my work day.  I really don't like taking pain pills, even though this one is non-narcotic, because I'm afraid of getting addicted to them.  I have to do something because the topomax makes me so tired I can hardly stay awake without something else.  I don't feel like doing anything.  All I want to do is sleep and be grouchy :)

One good thing is I don't have half the problems you do though.  I hope you get to feeling better and get your problems under control.

Good Luck!!
i am also new to taking topamax i just started taking 100mg this week i have a 10 lb weight loss in 10 days so far it is helping me with my migraines ,it seems to be helping me cope and get out of whatever depression i was in anybody have any suggestions ??
I was on topomax. I had to stop taking it. My face ,hands,and feet felt like something was on them all the time. My Doc. did not know what was wrong with me. I went to all kids of docs. and one told me it was the tomopmax. I stoped it cold turkey.That they say you are not to do. But I did and now all the side effects I was having sre starting to go away.As far as weight loss I had none. Everyone was saying tingling in hands and feet. Mine was more like a numness.
Topamax has given me a lot of side effects, however these side effects decreased and are controlled for the most part, after nearly two years of taking the drug. I started off at 25mg, and noticed the side effects immediately, including nausea, diarrhea, changes in my appetite, what I craved, what I could taste (including soda), and soon weight loss, numbness in the fingers and toes, forgetfulness, problems with word recall, and a fog that would cause me to take forever explaining something, telling a story, answering a question, etc., basically the feeling of stupidity. With time, I also developed a jerk/tick in my shoulder/arm/knee basically just random nerves.

Topamax is not a quick fix for those who are too lazy to lose weight on their own, you need a real reason to be on this medication, and should not try to extract a prescription for the purpose of weight loss, or be taking that if that is your most important reason for doing so. Many women will try to take meds made for sick people, everything from Topamax to Aderol, Concerta, Wellbutrin, etc., pretending they have what to many are very serious issues, for very shallow reasons.  This can and probably will backfire on your health in the end.

After nearly two years, my dose is at 200mg. With all of the other medications I'm taking, it is hard to tell whether the jerk/tick in my nerves is actually from the Topmax, or from its interaction with the other drugs I take. My taste is completely back to normal, and all of my other side effects, from word recall and my feelings of stupidty, to (you will either be happy, or very disappointed to hear) my nausea and loss of appetite are gone. I'm still feeling a bit tired during the days, however taking it at bedtime and going to bed at a decent hour makes a lot of difference. The weight loss evens out once your body adjusts to the medication. It is usually only temporary, and it is almost always muscle you have lost, as you should know, because you are probably too tired to do too much physically if you are not eating and are losing weight quickly. It comes back, even as you increase your dose. Trust me. I was highly sensitive to 25mg, the smallest dose possible, and I only became more immune as time went on, at higher and higher doses. It takes more than a few months to give your body a good, fighting chance to get used to new chemicals being introduced to it. This should make many of you feel good, and for those of you who it disappoints, shame on you, go for a jog, and be glad you have legs.
I am just taking myself off Topamax after 10 months. I have been to the doctors and had bloodwork ran more than once because of the way I have felt. I wake up feeling like I havent gotten enough rest more days than not. I feel drained...tired all the time, weak. I was sure something was wrong with me. The doctor told me my results were fine. I even asked if it could be the Topamax, he said no. I have also experienced a great amount of hair loss. After researching Topamax on the internet...website after website, I found out there are MANY people experiencing the same thing. I am absolutly convinced it is this medication. I am cutting down from 100mg to 50mg, then off it completly in hope after time I will become my normal self again.
DO NOT take Topamax. It can cause permanent brain damage, and it would be stupid to take it for weight loss- I didn't lose any weight while taking it. While it seemed like a miracle drug (it stopped my chronic vertigo from my migraines), after about a year and a half of taking 50mg (which is considered a low dose), I began turning into a vegetable...I developed a severe studder and my mind was a blank slate- I couldn't have a simple conversation; I felt tired, like my body was shutting down. After gradually stopping it (if you stop it suddenly you can have a seizure, and you have horrible tingling and spaciness when starting and stopping it), those symptoms all went away, thank God; but my memory does seem to be worse since then.

Neuros hand it out like candy now- a doc gave put my friend on 150mg because her head hurt when she ran (which is most likely congestion). During the year or so that I was taking it they added about three warnings to the Topamax label, including one for brain damage. I later saw a neuro who denied that the Topamax could cause the symptoms I have, because it's "not documented"...but if you search the net, many people complain of and many docs warn against such severe side effects.

If you want to lessen migraines, go an organic diet and get rid of sodas and other triggers- most migraineurs are heavily affected by trigger foods. And if you want to lose weight, start an exercise program, not a drug regimen.
Man I am REALLY glad I read alot of these.  I am about to be on my 3rd week of this med and my biggest gripe is the way my tonge feels.  It feels like I burned it and I cannot taste things like they should.  But from the sounds of it, it seems normal.  The tingling and stuff would be hard for me to judge cuz I am always losing feeling in my hands and feet anyhow.  And as far as the weight loss have not lost any yet.  On it for constant migraines though.  started with 25mg a day, just got finished with 25mg 2x a day, now I am going to 25mg in the am and 50mg in the pm.  I hope that this feeling goes away on my tongue soon, it hurts ALOT!!!

Tina
I've just recently been put on Topamax for nerve pain, and I haven't seen a lot of comments about how this works or helps?  My dr also said that it will help with my migraines, which I get 2-3 a month, and will assist with any weight loss goals...well, I've just started, and I need to know is there anyone who is taking this for pain?  Nerve pain?  Any feedback would be great....
tommy
well, it's been 5 weeks now on Topamax and all I have to say is I think it's working for my nerve pain, at least I've only experience pain if I did too much around the house.  I still take a narcotic at bedtime, but other than that, I think it's helping.  My migraines are gone-with only one sinus headache lately. The other thing that is exciting for me is that I dropped over 10 pounds in the first 10 days (which I know was way too fast-but couldn't help it), So far in 5 weeks I have lost 15 pounds....I just was not interested in food at all due to the taste-NOTHING taste good to me-I just wasn't hungry at all-just very thirsty all the time.  I was addicted to diet coke...I still have the same diet coke in my fridg that I bought over a month ago because I cannot drink it!  I have the tingling in my left foot from time to time, also in my fingers as well....hair loss, Im still trying to figure this one out-I do lose hair normally, Im just trying to see if its more-so now then before?  Im watching carefully and informing my hairdresser of this...and the other annoying thing is my hair if I dont wash it (which I don't everyday) smells like a bag of "chips"...or smells burnt, or cooked or something....can't put my finger on it-just doesn't smell right...UGH!  Other than that-feel pretty good.....Tommy
Hi I was giving topamax for moods.... I began having panic attacks which I've never ever had...  after being on topamax for several months, I finally stopped.... well I've continued to have those panic attacks for years afterwards now.. Last night I had three alone during my sleep... Anyone else have this long lasting side effect??????

by Monique
I have been taking Topomax for 3 weeks for migraines. The First week I took 15 mg twice a day and and now 30 mg twice a day.So far..... I feel great, no headaches!!!! I do have some side effects some tingle in hands feet, coke tastes flat. I hope it does not change or get worse cause honestly, it is nice not to have headaches everyday!!! I have had migraines since elementary school. I am now 35 yrs. The imtrex is nice too, do not get me wrong but if i run out or don't get take it in time> Nice not to have a migraine. Hope for someone this is a positive post for them to read. My dosage amount is alot less then some of the above posted.
Hi, I have been on topamax for years and am now taking 300 mg a day. I am 32 years old. I am bulimic. Topamax has saved my life as far as the binge eating goes, however, my thinking is all over the map!
I drive past my house, I forget appointments that are at the same time every week, I'm a wreck. I live w/ a planner at the hip. They should coin this drug "dope-a-max". Symptoms never fully disappear, atleast, not for me and I am frustrated. I too, have major anxiety, but I never thought to relate that to the topamax. I just thought it was part of my depression. I'm discouraged to see so many people suffering from the same side effects that I have. This is truly a disappointment.
I am a 33-year-old mother of two who has suffered from severe chronic migraines for over six years. I have also run the gammit of migraine medications, without much success for long. Five years ago my neuro doc tried me on Verapamil and Topamax. The Verapamil was fine- no problems there. The Topamax was another story. It was horrible. Joint pain, problems concentrating and overall lack of interest in most everything. I stuck it out until I became pregnant with my second child, but it was hard. Since my second child, my migraines have worsened. I went back to my neuro doc this past Dec. 22nd, 2010. He diagnosed with me with Vascular Artery Disease, HPB and Vascular Migraines. He put me back on both medications. I did fine with the Verapamil again, and at first the Topamax was awesome. I lost 21 lbs in six weeks and I felt wonderful. I slept well, I ate less, I had NO headaches at all and life was good. I did have the tingling in my hands and feet and carbonated beverages were flat, but both of those things I could deal with. What happened next I could not deal with. Last week I began having muscle spasms below my left eye. They progressively got worse to where the whole left side of my face would twitch out of control. On Tuesday of this week I began having slight paralysis of the left side of my face and by Wednesday I had a sort of Bell's Palsy-type of reaction where my the entire left side of my face became slack. Needless to say, I was a little scared. However, if you go back in time on this forum and look at a posting dated Jan. 5th, 2007 at 12am you will find a woman who went through the exact same thing. I d/c'd the Topamax without titrating down, which I am aware is a bad thing to do, and today (Friday) I have very little spasming and my face has returned to a 95% normal function. Yesterday my neuro doc told me on the phone that it was very unlikely that Topamax would ever do this to me, but I beg to differ. There are too many other people out there who have had similar problems for this to be a non-issue. It's really too bad that Topamax does not take it seriously, nor do our doctors. It does make me really disheartened and frustrated, though, because for the first time in SO long I felt really good. For those of you who are taking Topamax successfully and without these horrible side effects, I am really excited for you. For those that have had a similar experience to mine, know that you are not alone- nor are you crazy.
i have read about tingling feet. more like pins and needles in my heels. also read about tingling in face and agree with it being more like electricity running through face. read mostly about potasium helping but someone else swore on zinc. called neurologist, he said to try. i take both potasium and zinc (cheap vitamins from store). almost instand help in heals, not completely gone yet. starting to help with face as well. hope this helps someone else. i am at 50mg twice a day going to 100mg twice a day. no relief from goofy memory loss yet, hoping leveling off at max dose with resolve this like most post say.
Blessings,
J
hi my child has really bad headaches and they put her on topamax
should i be concern she 8
To the mom with the 8 year old daughter with migraines, be very wary of taking Topamax, read our experience:

My 8 year old son suffers from horrible migraines. His doctor prescribed him Topamax.  My son was on this medication for about 6 weeks.  His mood started to change and he started showing really agressive behavior towards his brother and his friends.  He was also not sleeping at night......This was not my child, it was sad to see.  I had to make the decision of what I felt was right for my child.  We weaned him off the medicine, and with in a week and a half his behavior returned to normal.  However, here we are 5 weeks with out the medicine and the migraines have returned. He's had 3 in two weeks.  I am hoping there are alternatives to Topamax!
I have been on Topamax now for 6 months and it has been GREAT.. I wish they would of given me this years ago.. I have been a migraine sufferer for too long and tried everything even block injections, acupuncture, numerous medications and therapies but nothing worked until Topamax. This is a true wonerdrug with no side effects except weightloss and I mean who wouldnt like that??? At first I got a slight numbness and tingling in my fingers but that went away after a week.. more doctors should give patients this than narcodics which cause rebound heachaches and other side effects that are way worse than weightloss!!!
I am age 40 mom and wife of 3 teenagers. I am on Topamax, my dr. just increased my dose to 75 mg and it is helping. I have been on it 1 month now and my miggraines are alot less. I used to get them almost daily, and was so sick of it. I am doing alot better. I am loosing a pound a week, now also and also notice  I dont like soda pop as much either, due the taste of pop is funny. But I still drink it go figure. Now one issue I am scared about is my eyes have been dialated for a few days now and dr. is aware of this, he didnt comment on it, he knows i'm on the medication, my eyes been watery too. I will call him next week if it continues. I am hoping no eye damage from Topamax. I dont want to stop taking it but will if I have to. I wish everyone good luck with this medication. Just start out on a low dose and work your way up that is what my dr. does. I am seeing results with lesser migraines. I am so far ok with the medication except my eyes. I am also happy with loosing 8 pounds this month. Whohoo~~~~~~~
I have been on 50mg of Topamax twice a day for about 3 weeks now.  Definitely have nausea and constipation; however, absolutely no weight loss. If anything, weight gain.  Coca Cola is horrible!  I don't eat much at one sitting but get unbelievable hunger pains throughout the day and night.  Have never in my life experienced such hunger pains.  My mood swings are incredible.  I cry at anything/nothing and then scream at the top of my lungs in my next breath.  I have also noticed difficulty in attention, concentration and recall.  The good news is my migraines are less frequent.  
It sounds to me like you have Fibromyalgia. (Just sayin) because you hurt all over and your muscles hurt . With the migranes and or headaches. Look into it and see if it matches your problems. Try doing some research on it, www.osteopathic.org/fibro...Don't stop ther though because there are a lot of websites you can learn from. Good luck and Hope this helps. don't let anyone tell you it's not a disease. IT IS...
I started Topamax 2 weeks ago. So far I haven't noticed any serious side effects and I have lost 14 pounds. I am thrilled. My back pain has decreased extensively, which is why I started the Topamax. I have several discs in my lower back that are protruding and smashed together. Anyway, I would recommend Topamax to anyone who wants to lose weight and minimize pain. It may not work for everyone the way it works for me but it is worth a shot. My Doctor is my new hero! Good luck to everyone out there.
I take topamax for my bipolar and i have lost 68 pounds in a year. I started out at 195 and now down to 127. i have had no side effects from the drug. Blood work has came back normal. My husband has lost 45 pounds so far. he is on it due to his weight.  
It's good to hear someone else out there had the same problem I am having.  I feel disorganized, confused and foggy.  I am forgetting words, talking slower, thinking slower....  I once forgot my own car, where I was, and why I was there.  It lasted only seconds but it was scary.  It feels like the beginning of Alzheimers and I am only in my 30's and it started when I started taking Topamax for Migraines.  The instructions said to not stop abruptly or the symptons will be worse so I have to go see my Dr. to get me off.  Yes it is a scary situation to be in, almost like Russian Roulette.  You don't know when the brain will give up on you, and you know deep within yourself that it is going in that direction.  I really hope I regain my faculties when I get off this medication.
I'm bipolar and am on 42 pills a week. I've gained so much weight and on top of that I had a baby 7 months ago. My doctor is putting me on topamax soon for weight loss. Any other's with bipolar disease and taking topamax?? I'd love to hear how it's been for you.
after you adjust, your appetite returns to normal as does your metabolism.  It works great for migrains.  I have suffered since I was 12 (44 now)  and this is the first drug to really help.  I notice mild symptoms of what others complain about but nothing significant.  try it....you can always stop
I'm 22 and I've been on Topamax since November.  I'm losing my ever loving mind!!!  One of my friends is a doctor and when he found out that I was going to start taking it, he didn't want me too...he refers to it as Crazymax, and I now understand why.

It has helped with my headaches.  I don't have them every day like I did have, and I have lost some weight.  I wouldn't recommend taking it just for the weight loss though.

I finally got my appetite back when I started working out again, before that I was to the point of eating 1 meal a day...and having to force myself to eat all of it.

I have to make lists all the time, or put things in my phone so I don't forget.  I forget where I'm going.  I'll be driving down the road and begin trying to figure out where it is that I'm going, because I've forgotten.  There have been mornings that I've washed my hair 2-3 times in the shower because I don't remember doing it.
I do not know what Topamax you all took or have taken but I have been taking it for some time now and yes, at first it was weird but that is why my doctor recommended I took it at night while I slept.  Yes, I still had tingling and I was forgetful during my tappering of the medication, but I finished my Bachelors, my Masters in Science and now half way through my PhD. and I love not having migraines.  Yes, I lost 30 pounds and I not only stopped having the killer migraines but I look good and still continued my studies, which I thought (according to all the stories I was hearing) would have to drop out of school.  I am so blessed because in my family we have lost several to Aneurysms and I didn't want to be another statistic in my family.  Topamax has been a blessing for me and my family.  I have no issues.  It is crazymax at all.  TAKE IT AT NIGHT NOT DURING THE DAY PEOPLE---HELLO!!!!
I started on Topamax only a few days ago.  I am taking it for migraines and hoping to lose weight as well.  So far, I have not lost any weight.  I sort of believe that the reason it works for losing weight is that it makes people lose their appitite which for me is really not going to help a lot.  I do not over eat and already have to remember to eat.  The Topamax is making me a little quesy so I am probably already eating a little less than before.  I can tell that I am having a little trouble remembering some tasks that I would do on a regular basis on the computer and that is worrying me.  I am still on a verly low dose because I am in the "building up" phase.  I really hope this works.
i am new to this site and i just read ur post..i know it was made years ago. i know it is not a good idea for ppl to take this med jus to lose weight or any other medication for that matter because of the severity of the side effects. but in that being said..i am someone who has struggled with my weight my entire life and have done every diet in the book..and healthy eating and exercise..life changes do work yes..however, this medication is prescribed now for eating disorders mostly bulimia and binge eating disorder; and thats why i have been prescribed it. I have binge eating disorder so im hoping this medication, at a low dosage, will hopefully help me with my urges in my binging and my obsessions with food and the depression and much more that comes along with it. I dont expect or even want this pill to make me lose the weight even though i have about 50lbs to lose, i want it to assist me into controlling my disorder and allowing me to make healthy choices and not just some quick fix.
I also have been taking Topamax for about 6 years (I am 27) for my seizures.I take 450mg/day to control my epilepsy. As high as the dosage sounds, I have adjusted to most the side effects after many months, if not years to find what meds are best for me. I still have problems with remembering things and the "sudden loss of words", and confusion at times, ordeal all the time- and sodas still taste horrible. I did lose around 15- 20lbs when i first began Topamax, which I was concerned about considering I am 5'1 and dropped to 92lbs. But now my weight has leveled out for my size. As for the memory concerns-  My suggestion for anyone who has these symptoms and wants to continue on this drug is to keep a planner and a list of "things to do" on hand at all times. I still can not live with out my planner or my notebook I carry on hand all day-  of course I have always been one to have a planner... There is hope- I promise.
However, I would not recommend this drug just for weight loss simply because the side effects aren't worth going through for a short term period. Good luck!  
I have been on Topomax for almost a year now. I have lyme disease along with life long problems with migraines.  At first I thought the topomax was a miracle cure as it took my headaches away.  Then, about three months into treatment I started getting severe insomnia and after a day of painting doors I was in severe body pain.  I ended up in hospital with a ck count of 18000 which no doctor could ascribe to anything. I had all the symptoms of a heart attack and kidney failure, except I had neither. After they sorted me I was on only 50mg and I just felt I could not move upwards. My face kept tingling and was numb on the one side. As I had Bell's Palsy before the drs said it was the palsy that showed up again. I also had no taste and I would at times get a "melting" feeling. It felt like my arms or legs started burning up and then melted.  I often felt like I stood in a puddle of myself.  I had two more of the severe painful muscles episodes after a normal day of working in my home and when I started forgetting the names of people I know I knew something was wrong.  I could not stand the burning sensation, which my neorologist said is quite normal, anymore.  I could not remember my phone number and I was forgetting what I was doing.  As I am a lecturer at UNi level I could no longer afford these symptoms.  My GP has agreed to slowly wean me off the tablets and I am on 25mg every alternate night.  The tingling is disapearing and I could do some gardening without severe pain in the muscles. My sleep is also returning. I do not think the side-effects of this medicine is worth using it as a weightloss pill.  Now that I am going off, the so-called lyme symptoms are also getting better and my thinking is that there are much better ways to get rid of a big or small problem than taking this risk.
I am on Topamax and Gapapentin for migraines for 5 months and have slowly worked up to 150 mgs a day of Topamax and 400 mg of Gabapentin. My migraines are gone and I only get headaches once in while. I tried Topamax in the past and was afraid to try again, but my neurologist advised side effects are because a dosage is too high for your body to adjust to.  I started at a low dose and went up by 12.5-25 mgs a week or two weeks at a time to build to the current dosage. After 5 months I've been taking 150 mg a day for only the past two weeks. I highly recommend if you are going to take Topamax you build up the dosage.  I started with 25 mg a twice a day and built up from there as I could handle it.  I am being treated by the University of Washington and really believe this was the best course of action.  I only have tingling in my little toe once in a while and I am never ever hungry and I love water as a result. I'm just saying if you have migraines there is  hope out there and if you take the treatment slow enough, it might be helpful without adding addition turmoil to your system.  Good luck!  I would never recommend this course of treatment for weight loss alone.
I started taking Topomax since June 2013 because the VA doctor I never met before told me I was bipolar even though I was told I was ADHD my whole life from other veteran Admin doctors, even childhood shrinks said I was. She put me on Topo 50mg twice a day. It didn't do anything for me except make me lose 40lbs. I thoughts she was nuts. I never thought I was bi-polar and felt nothing emotionally taking this stuff except tinging in my fingers once and a while and I was a little tired. That's it. Even up my dosage myself to 100mg twice a day to think maybe I would get something out of it. Nope just tingling once in a blue moon in my fingers and tired once in a while like always. No memory loss or other problems other people have mention. But losing weight still. New VA doctor said I do have ADHD and may have Aspergers and she wants to test me for it and she put me on Ritalin at 5mg 3 times a day and I said I like this Topomax for weight lost and wanted to continue (wanted to get back down to my Army weight. Gained a lot of weight after I got hurt in the Army) she said just take the Topomax at bed time so instead of taking 50 mg twice a day I just take 100mg at bed time. So far so good with all the meds.
Any changes in how this has affected you? I have ADD and take Concerta and now take 50 mg of topamax at bed time. How has it been going?
I've been taking topamax for 3yrs now and take 300mg a day. I've been lucky and haven't had any side effects really. I take it for severe migraines along with imipramine, 225mg at bedtime. It is also a seizing medication used to treat migraines. I've been taking them together for 3 years now and they help but don't completely take them away. As for the weightloss, in the last year I've lost almost 70lbs. I know it's from the topamax because I have a bladder disease that makes it very difficultfor me to loose it on my own, I had surgery on my bladder a year ago and the weight started falling off with no help from me. I don't really exercise or watch what I eat, I eat what I want just in moderation.
I am on 200mg looking to raise to 300mg so far i havent had any side effects other than the tingling and that has even gone away congradulations on the weight loss of 70lbs that is a lot of weight to lose I am looking to loose 55lbs I know I can do it because my head aches and my appetite is completely gone please write back and tell me how you are doing now
I accidentally took topamax, and lost complete motor skills to my arms from the elbow down and my whole head I lost the ability to speak and everything felt tingly but I couldn't feel it when someone touched me, I ended up being completely paralyzed for 8 hours and my temperature was extremely high, I sat in a fridge with ice down my shirt and was still over heating. I thought I was dying. It's been almost 2 weeks now since this happened. After I got the feeling back and was able to use my hands again my veins started constricting and I had to keep pumping the blood back into my hands by making fists and if I stopped my veins got right and then my hands got cold. It was literally the worse experience of my life. I called the hospital for an ambulance and figured out I was losing my ability to speak and that's when I dropped the phone. I had lost the ability to do anything except cry. I do not think anyone should ever take this drug, I don't want anyone to ever go thru what I went thru. Which may have been an allergic reaction but it also could have been because my mom has seizures and I don't so it attacked me differently. Please be careful and does anyone know why my motor skills are still off and if I could be dying?
I was Topamax for over 10 years I never had any of the side effects that are described here... The worst I ever had was a little twitch under one eye, slight body odor and weight-loss. I didn't have a migraine in all the time I was on it unfortunately after 10 years it just stopped working.
I would go back on it again tomorrow, if my doctor said it would work on my migraines again...
Yes.....I second your comment. I have a few side effects too but not even worth talking about.  I am have suffered my entire life on and off and I am enjoying life again.  I can actually drink a glass of wine and stay in an upright position and watch a thunderstorm if I wish.  Thank you to my Neuro folks I work with, the cocktail they have got me on now which includes Topamax!.
Kristen
Reduce the dosage with the help of a physician.  At 25mg I have minor hair loss, take at night & only have vivid dreams.  I would guess you are on too much and not aware of it?  what do you think?  Alittle works just as well...just a thought
I am also bipolar and on armour thyroid.  I would like to share my experience with you.  As you know it is very impt for us to take "right amounts of stuff" or things backfire.  I cycle very often.  Personally I found it took a year to get all the antidepressants out of my system.  the withdrawals were all the nightmares and depression and pains you mention exactly.  At night taking just .25mg topamax keeps me even.  I take 2 drops of green tea extract drops at lunch in water instead of antidepressant. These are super super potent.  Also helps make you less dopy. Holistic doc prescript. Yes, I have some eye issues.  From reading your post it sounds like you were taking WAY too much of that topamax.  Would you consider tapering down and keeping me posted as a buddy?  I_am_healthconscious.  I truly feel your pain personally as I have alot in common with you.  
I was very offended to hear it referred to as dopamax as it has never affected me other than making me sleepy. I've taken it for 6+ years. We did have to increase my dosage due to an increase in migraines and the intensity. Both were unbearable. I'm at a maxed out level of 400 mg. (200 am/200 pm) It does affect my appetite and taste but that's ok with me. I'm not having as many migraines again but the intensity is still as harsh as before. The duration be less slightly. I know it's used for bipolar so it does seem to keep my mood even. Sometimes I have brain fog but I've also been diagnosed with fibro otherwise I'm fine on it.
Don't see why you'd be offended....you admitted it causes brain fog. Believe me, I have migraines,fibro & seizures and was on 500/600 day!!! I couldn't even remember the exact way to my daughters home and kept circling...if you think you aren't dopey in it, I guarantee your closest family do!  Dopamax is a great description of topamax.....