Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Topamax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Topamax

I could easily get a prescription for Topamax as I have migraines and my doc and I talked about it at our last visit.  I would also LOVE the weight loss side effect.  Anyone that has or is taking Topamax - does it make you feel nervous?  Does it make your heart beat faster and/or palpitations?  I have anxiety so I can't use it if it will make me more nervous.  Anybody have bad side effects from Topamax?
Nervous doesn't really begin to explain it. To me, it has just made me what I call scatterbrained. I used to have a very good memory. At my highest dose of Topamax, especially when I first went on it, there were times I couldn't remember my phone number! It did get some better,and they lowered my dose which helped even more, but I still can't trust my memory and its very frustrating. It also affects my speech slightly to where every once in a while I can't say a word or phrase I'm trying to think of or my speech will be slurred or garbled.

I have heard of others, though, who have had severe anxiety and even full blown panic attacks until they got off the topamax and then they were fine again. I would definitely consult with my doc again about it if I were you. It is a serious drug with very serious side effects.
My wife tried topamax for headaches, she could not tolerate it.  She felt as if she was dazed.  She felt like for lack of a better way to say it, like a ghost...like everything was passing her by and she wasn't really present.  She stopped it because she could not function on it.
the drug almost caused my brother in-law to get a divorce.  His wife was a zombie.  couldnt finish a sentance.  If she started a conversation, people would walk away because they didnt have the time to wait for her to find the words................the house was a mess and the days would just go by with out her.

It has to be dangerous to drive on this stuff.  The short time I took it, I couldnt remember the drive from point A to point B.
I know I did it, but couldnt remember a thing about it. Then I started to have panic attacks because I felt a "not in control feeling".....I was glad after one day of stopping the drug, I was back to normal.

Its my opinion that doctors do not take the side affects of this drug serious enough.  I know it can be a life saver for migrain sufferers.  I live a much to active and social life style to have topomax (topamax) take a way full days. Let alone the hair it took away from me. Fell out in hand fulls.  
I will admit, I tried it for weight loss and I admit it was a stupid thing for ME to do. Others have good experiance, but not me.
Thanks, everyone.  Maybe I will just try something else for weight loss.  I want to lose 25 lb. and be a size 4 again so bad.  I just had a baby and feel so bad about myself I'd almost try anything.  I do diet and exercise but the weight isn't coming off fast enough.  I don't like the idea of my hair falling out, which I had heard was a side effect of Topamax.
Are you nursing?  That took all my baby weight off very quickly.  Don't put too much pressure on yourself to be a size 4 again.  The reality is that child pregnancy and childbirth make your rib cage and your hips wider.  I was a size 3 before I had kids.  Now, even when I am very lean I am a 5-7.  My bones structure is bigger.  

Right now I am a 9 am working out, weight is slowly coming off.  Much harder at 40!!!

Anyhow, I read it takes 2 years for the body to completely recover from child birth.  Take good care of yorself, get exercise, eat well and the weight will come off.  I wouldn't take meds for weight loss unless you were morbidly obese, which you obviously aren't.

Good luck with your wee one.  Don't be discouraged.
hey, I didn't mean to discourage you TOO much; if your migraines are really bad the topamax might still be what you need. You can work with your doctor to find the best dosage for the most effective results with the least side effects. A lot of people think its great and done wonders for them, and everyone experiences the side effects differently. I just wanted you to be aware of them. There is a site called Topamax.com. There are also other meds available. Ihope you get what you need.

I agree completely with the post that says don't go on meds for weight loss if you just have a little to lose and are able to lose it through natural means. But again just for your information, I will tell you what I am doing. Because I am definitely not in the "little to lose" category! I take a weekly injection at a clinic. It is a combo of B-12 and hcg. I also take an appetite suppressant called Bontril everyday. For some reason I never lost weight with the Topamax, but this program is working really well. I have lost almost 40 lbs since I started it in June. I eat a low calorie diet, drink a lot of water, and exercise regularly as well. It has helped me change my habits for a healthier lifestyle and I believe that I will keep the weight off permanently.

Again, I'm not recommending this unless you get to a point of feeling you've tried everything and its just not working. That's definitely where I was. I'm sure the other poster is right about it taking time to get your body back in shape after having a baby and you just need to eat really healthy and exercise. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck!
Thanks for your replies, everyone!  I may still try the Topamax because my headaches are pretty bad.  I wear a size 8 right now but want to be a 4 again so bad!  I had a baby 3 months ago and no, I am not nursing.  As far as the injections go, I don't think that's for me - I'm wary about all kinds of medications and substances because if there is a bad side effect to be had from anything, I will have it.  My body is very sensitive to medications.  I guess I just will try not to be impatient and keep going with the diet and try to do it the natural way!
you should look at some of the other post on this forum about the hair loss ! the migraine loss and weight is great but the hair loss is not! good luck !
Hi I started Topamax a month ago for sezures. I have been thin a size 4 for quite a few years. Im 28 years old. I was pregnant in April and lost the baby and sadly gained 20 pounds so when I had to take Topamax I was glad it could help with weight loss. Im at 100 millagrams. I have weird sezures that wake me up at nite I feel like Im having a heart attack I get sweaty and very sick. They say I have a high heart rate but I think its from my sezures. Autonomic sezures. The Topamax causes me to see flashing lites. hearts palpitations, some memory loss, forget where Im driving to, forget normal schedules like .. when my son gets out of school, mood changes, flu like symptoms, nausea, loss of appetite, weird dreams, forget words, paranoya, .. I read all these things on these forums and thought nothing of them until I started the meds.. Im a full time working mom but Im on disability until my sezures stop , they just started a month ago hopefully the meds work in a few months.. Im bored at home I enjoy working.. I work at Lowes I sell appliances. I try to work out Its hard with a high heart rate and the topamax cause weird heart palpatations working out makes me feel sick but I try I need to loose these pounds.. Im a pretty girl who just feels just so ugly.... Please let me know if any one has lost weight on this drug.. And its not so bad if you get through the side effects they go away after a month or so.. -amy
Hi Everyone I just started Tompax on Thanksgiving and I was really nervous about taking it because of the weight loss issue because I only weight 135 when I started and now I'm down to 132 but I've increased my food in take because it makes me not hungury.   The first week my taste bud made all my coke I drunk taste like flat cokes some still do but I've been feeling lighted a lot this week does anyone else have that problem?  Then somedays its makes me real hyper but today was the day i uped my dose to 50mg.. I've also been having headaches at bedtime this week. Can anyone relate to that?  thanks
everything you said sounded completely normal except the headaches. I don't think I've had a single one of any kind since I've been on it and I don't think most other people do either. Since that is what it is prescribed for, if you are still having them you should talk to your doctor.
I have had headaches and Ive been on it for a month. Take a few advils that will help. The hedaches will go once the medicine kicks in..that takes a month or two.... any one loosing weight??-Amy
HI EVERYONE ITS ME AGAIN I'M UP TO 75 MG AND I'VE STARTED HAVING NUMBNESS AND TINGLING IN MY FACE ( NOT EVERY DAY) AND BLURRED VISION  ALONG WITH MY SPEECH SLURRING. AT WORK TODAY I STARTED HAVING NUMBESS AND TINGLING IN MY LEFT ARM AND MUSCLE SPAMS IN MY CHEST EVERYONE TELLS MY I'M HAVING SIGNS OF A STROKE SO I'M CALLING MY DOCTOR TOMORROW TO SEE WHAT HE SAYS BECAUSE I'M REALLY NERVOUS.  BUT I'VE HAD THE MUSCLE SPASMS ON AND OFF SENSE I'VE BEEN ON THE TOMPAX I'VE JUST BEEN TRYING TO LEFT NY BODY ADJUST LIKE EVRYONE SAYS ITS JUST NOW I'M SCARED. HAS ANYONE AHD ANY OF THIS HAPPEN TO THEM
Tingling in hands and feet is normal but I don't know about face. I get slurred speech occasionally but not blurred vision, I don't recall hearing if its a side effect or not, or the spasms either. It all sounds like enough cause for concern to me. I would definitely call the doc if were me, ASAP.
Its all normal dont drink caffine the topamax can mess with your heart drink lots of water. Dont drink energy drinks, or energy pills, diets pills, or any of that. Take potassium like bannanas or tomatoes that takes the tingling away./ I had all those symptoms and worse Ive seen cardiologist, neurologist, and 10 trips to the emergency room and 2 months into topamax and all those side affect are gone. just drink water... No caffine, or aphedra
I have lost weight on the drug. I've been on this for over four months now and have lost over 25 lbs, without really trying. No excersing or anything. I was taking topomax (topamax) for a mood stabalizer.
I take 150 mg a day, and yes it does come along with memory loss and numbness of feet or arms sometimes or even lips. Forgetting how to spell words or remembering them quicking, the taste of a coke, yes there are many side effects. But is it worth it for what your taking it for. Mine is.
I have been on Topamax 200mg/day for about a year now and my side effects have included memory loss,studdering,slight body odor,weight loss (80lbs in a year),trouble finding words when talking, forget where I am going when I am driving, and crying VERY easily (being an emotional person) which I was NOT before! Oh and I also have trouble sleeping at nights too. The only other medicines I take are a water pill,adderall (adderrall)(I have ADD) and then Relpax as needed!
I am a healthy 31 female that has suffered from SEVERE migrains my ENTIRE life until TOPAMAX!!!!!!!
I hope this helps, to me the benefits out weigh the side effects but that is my opinion and ONLY MY OPINION!!!!!
I've been on topamax for over 2 months, I take 150mg at night.  I have had NO weight loss and have such severe mood swings that my marriage is in trouble.  I suffer from the "stupidity" factor and the tingling and the "creepy crawling" feeling on my skin.  I also am dazed and confused A LOT.  I will say this, though.  The reason I continue to take it is because it has drastically reduced my migraines and to me these side affects are worth not having the head aches.  I recently went to my Dr and asked to be put on Wellbutrin to help stabalize my mood swings so we'll see if that helps.  I would have LOVED to had the weight loss, but I didn't, and still don't.  It never decreased my appetite.  I can't, however, drink soda because I can't seem to "taste" the carbonation...but I do keep hoping the side affect will subside.  I was wondering at what mg did you y'all see a decrease in appetite?
I had a bad experience with Topamax. I took it for seizures. I had the tingling feeling in hands, feet, knees, arms, abdomen, and face. It got to the point where it was actually painful and it gradually got worse, but the tingling was not bad compared to the muscle spasms or twitches. Just under my eye, I had a muscle twitch for 2 months. During that time, I also had muscle twitches on my face, all over my cheeks, jaws and around my mouth. It would even paralyze my mouth for hours. I was on Topamax for 5 months. The muscle spasms and twitches gradually became worse and more often. The were in my abdomen and legs. All of the twitches that I had were visible.

Towards the end of my time on Topamax, whenever I would lay down my eyes would twitch and the back of my head would tingle. I went to my neurologist 3 times about these problems. He told me he had never heard of this and he did not think it was the Topamax. He did try 2 different muscle relaxers and they did not work. I did research and the symptoms I had were identical to Secondary Drug-Induced Dystonia. In the prescribing info for Topamax,  Dystonia was listed as a rare side effect. I finally convinced my neurologist that my problems were coming from the Topamax and he tapered me off and changed my medicine. As I took less Topamax my symptoms decreased and about 1 1/2 weeks after being completely off of it all symtoms (symptoms) were gone.

This was not a pleasant experience and I have recently found several websites like this where other people on Topamax have had muscle twitches especially in the face.
I felt better that I had not been alone.
Hi everyone.. I have no been on topamx for 2 months and Im on 200 millagrams.. all my bad horrible nasty side effects are gone tingling once in a while ..take potassium drink gatorade it has potassium and it helps with hydrating you cus topamx drys you out.. drink a big bottle a day , carry one around with you 64 oz.. it helps alot.. memory with words still an issue but Im pretty much getting better.. the flu like symptoms are gone.. Im now up to 200 mill working up to 300 mill Ive olnly lost 4 pds in a month maybe ill loose more when I go to a higher dose.. I havnt eaten all month cus going to 200 mill grams made me sooo sick.. I thought I should have lost 10 pds at least.. My appetite is down a little still but almost back to normal.. The side effects go away after a month I think.. cus I was sick last month but Im good this month.. But I do feel edgy .. More anxious when I first came up to 200 mill.. Drink  gatorade.......... It takes the tingles away............And the dry mouth......... lol...
HI EVERYONE I FINALLY GOT MY TOPAMAX STRAIGHTENED OUT MY  DOCTOR HAD TO STOP ME AT 50 MG BECAUSE MY BODY COULDN'T HANLDLE IT.  THE ONLY THING THATS BOTHERING ME NOW IS HAVE THE THE NUMBNESS ON MY NOSE AND  TIGHTNESS IN MY THROAT AND CHEST I'M CAUSING MY NOT TO BE ABLE TO BREATHE  HEAR LATELY SO I'M GOING TO CALL THE DOCTOR BACK MONDAY AND SEE IF ITS THE TOPAMAX OR SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE I'VE BEEN HAVING ALOT OF HEADACHES TOO THIS WEEK.
I USED THE TOPOMAX (topamax) (I SUFFER MIGRANE (migraine) SINCE MY FIRST PREGNANCY, 22 YEARS) FOR SOMETIME AND DECIDED THAT FEELING DUMB AND OUT OF CONTROL WAS NOT WORTH IT. FOR MY WEIGH LOSS I STARTED ON BONTRIL sR 105 AND IT REALLY HELPED ME. LOST 68 POUNDS IN 5 MONTHS. BUT WHAT REALLY BECAME A GREAT SOURCE WAS THE B12 SHOTS SOMEONE SUGGESTED IN THIS PAGE. ONES I STARTED THAT, WITH THE BONTRIL, GOOD WATER INTAKE AND EXTRA POTASSIUM (FOODS NO TABLETS) MY HEADACHES STARTED TO GO AWAY. BETTER SAID, LESS SEVERE AND MY WEIGHT WAS. NOW I AM A SIZE 5-6. FEEL GREAT. DO MY EXCERCISES AND EAT REGULAR FOOD BUT WITH CONTROL.

ABOUT WULBUTRIM... THAT WILL GET YOU TO STOP EATING AND EVEN SMOKING BUT IF YOUR MARRIAGE IS ON THE BAD SIDE... BE CAREFUL THE SEX APPETITE ALSO GOES AWAY... MY GINECOLOGIST POINTED THAT TO ME AND SAID THAT MOST PEOPLE DONT NO THAT. REMENBER HEALTHY MARRIAGES DEPEND ON ACTIVELY LIVING AND SHARING TOGETHER.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
I have been on topamax for almost 4 years, for the treatment of bipolar disorder. In the beginning I believed this was a miracle drug. I did not have any side effects that I believed were that noticeable, or could not live with. I did after six months lose 40 lbs, and did not know it was the drug. I did not change anything. Gradually symptoms started to appear, headaches, my vision started going, my body started to ache all over, pain behind my right eye (I have been to an eye doctor) > Then I started losing the feeling in the left side of my body, along with the tingling, and the spider feelings that come during the day. I also developed divticulitis which I can not actually say is completely attributed to the topamax, however, it has caused severe stomache upset, and nausea. I have seen a nerve specialist, and he said their was no nerve damage, and I have been to a chiropractor (who seems to think it is the drug) Also what started 3 years ago, was what I call mild panic attacks in my sleep. They would come and go, and I would not know when they would hit. My depression, has become far worse,as to the fact I no longer have any drive to do the things I use to do. As a result of this I have been off work for 3 years.
In November I made a descion it come off the topamax gradually reducing it from 200mgs. I am now on 75mgs, and the panic attacks are more frequent, also the headaches, the backaches and the muscles aches in my entire body. I sleep 12 to 14 hours a day. I am on no other medication, except thyroid. I have been on all other medications with this drug...and it did nothing to improve..(ie. wellbutrin effexor, cellexa, respidrol,ativan, serequel, lithum..just to mention a few)
The interesting point here is, when I finally stop taking this med, my pysciatrist can no longer see me, because they have to prescribe a prescription drug, and can not use or over see natural sources.

I have run my time with the prescription drugs, and have not gotten any better. There is not quick fix I believe anymore, without severe problems in the future.

Topamax is changing something...and honestly..they have not got a clue what it is..until its too late.

Everyone wants to lose weight, mine was a bonus, I did not know it had that side effect, but when you really think about it...HOW can a drug do this..and what else is it doing...just like the drugs that make you put on the weight...what else are they doing?

Everyone has a story on a forum, from pain, to suffering, and it is difficult to get through. I have come to a point where I have to look at what I eat, and what nutrients I have been missing, and maybe that will help, instead of becoming sicker. The drugs have not been the answer in my case over 14 years.
I would not recommend Topamax or any other drug for weight loss, particularly if the need is minimal.  I have been taking Topamax for two years for migraines.  I don't know if it helps or not.  I still get migraines.  I take Imitrex to stop them.  However, migraines are so complicated for most people and change so much over time that nothing works forever.  The problem for me was that I was on Paxil and estrogen (after a hysterectomy) to control the migraines.  I had been on an antidepressant before while I was taking birth control pills; that's when my migraines started.  At any rate, the Paxil and estrogen in small doses three times a day worked for about four years--of course we had to fight with the insurance company.  After two trips to the emergency room and a letter from me and the doctor one summer from hell, migraines nonstop day and night for eight weeks, the insurance company is more agreeable.

My point, eventually, (I've had an intractable migraine for 12 hours, and I'm up in the night just to stay in control of my wits.) is that added medications add layers of side effects, and they change. My other doctor who has been treating me for headaches for the past two years keeps adding medications without taking any away.  I talked about it with her a little, but she was reluctant to stop the Paxil.  Recently, over several months, I discovered through observation and elimination that both the Paxil and the estrogen (Cenestin) were starting to cause migraines every time I took one rather than preventing them as in past years.  As I reduced the Paxil, my doctor asked if I would like to try Cymbalta--I have much body pain.  It helped for a while but then the side effects suddenly became intolerable after two months; after three months I was gone.  Somehow I decided to quit that, too.  Now I am not taking an antidepressant; the withdrawal has been very hard and at times very scary.  However, my personality is back.  I have fewer migraines.

The nasty, untreatable migraines come when I take Ultram for my a back injury from last fall and when I take Fioricet for headaches--it happens if I take these medications for more than one day or for the full prescribed dose all day.

I'm still taking Topamax, but sometimes it seems like it causes migraines or at least regular headaches.  It also causes stupidity, which I find unnerving.  Sometimes I decide to go with the stupidity, but then it gets worse and I can't find the words I want; then I get headaches anyway.  I lost weight, but I had gained weight only because of the antidepressant in the first place.  I hurt all over; it hurts to press on my muscles. With my doctor's supervision, I have experimented with Topamax going from 25 mg to 50 to 75 and briefly to 100 mg.  Recently I have been going back and forth between 50 and 75--I want to stop, but I'm afraid; I'm also afraid not to stop.

Does anyone out there have any advice about Topamax and migraines and pain and stupidity?

Is there a doctor in the house?  
Well, I was wrong.  I should not have stopped the Paxil and estrogen completely.  Terrible things eventually--and very suddenly--happened to my mind and body.  For days--and especially nights--I became absolutely terrified, I was freezing cold, shaking, in pain all over, and had a horrible migraine. I went to the doctor after having enough sense to start back on a lower dose and am slowly getting better.  She gave me some good advice about how to get through the bad times and some medicine to go with it.  It was a bad idea for me, a person without ovaries, to stop estrogen completely.  Migraines came back with a vengeance.  As for Topamax, I probably will have to choose stupidity, but I'll deal with that after getting my Paxil and estrogen regulated again and calming down with Xanax and magnesium.  I can barely stand to eat anything.  Please, don't try too much to play doctor; it's good to educate ourselves about our medications, side effects, and others' experiences, but the doctors actually have been to medical school.  I felt good when I was reducing the medicine; that's where I should have stayed instead of stopping completely, as my doctor pointed out.  I wish everyone good luck and good health.
I have been on topamax 50mg for about 5 months for migraines.  I have had a weight loss of about 15 pounds.  About 4 weeks ago while eating I had several occasions of tingling in my mouth and trouble swallowing these lasted for a few seconds and then went away.  Several days later I experienced left sided facial numbness this lasted for 2 weeks.  Along with this I would have occasions of mouth tingling , shortness of breath and mouth numbness.  I had a negative MRI of the brain.  I was seen in the ER twice with a diagnosis of panic attack.  I was seen by my regular doctor and then by a neurologist who thought it was some type of migraine syndrome.  After 4 weeks of this I finally typed into my computer topamax and mouth numbness and found this site.  Wow!! I think I now have figured out it is the topamax.  The weight loss has been great but the side effects have affected my life in a serious way.
I have to admit I'm really surprised to read about all of these side affects people are having.  I work for a doctor that prescribes topamax for migraine prevention and have taken it myself.  For me surprisingly I noticed my feet quit hurting as well and although I'm usually always cold I find myself now getting hot.  My headaches are now gone...thank GOD!!!  I haven't been taking it long enough to notice any weight loss, but I have noticed that I'm not hungry like I used to be.  I do have a co-worker that has lost probably 30 pounds and is not lacking in energy and is not hungry.
Hi - this is the first time I've been here, and very happy to have found this site.  I've only started having migraines a little over six months ago, which in itself I find strange. (I'm 29)  Just today my doctor prescibed Topamax and i thought i'd check it out right away.  I'm already a nervous person, and feel scatter brained as it is too.  I also already have the confusion and face numbness at times.  So..I can only wonder what taking this will do to me.  Did anyone have a handful of these symptons before taking?  And if so - did they get worse??
Has anyone stopped having their periods since being on Topomax (topamax)?
HI,TODAY WAS MY FIRST DAY TAKING 100 MG I DID EXPERIENCE SOME TINGLING IN THE ARMS IN LEGS BUT NOT ALOT. THE COKE WAS FLAT IMMEDIETELY AFTER TAKING THE PILL. WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO TAKE IT? I AM TAKING IT FOR MIGRAINES I WAS TAKING SIBEIUM AND DID NOT FEEL NO RELIEF AND WITH TOPOMAX (topamax)  I DID NOT GET A HEADACHE TODAY WILL SEE WHEN I WAKE UP. I HAVE HAD HEADACHES FOR APPROX. 18 OR MORE YRS. APPETITE THE SAME TODAY.... POST MANANA
the best way to really understand the med you are taking is to research it.  the best site I have ever gone to is called Cray Meds.  Topamax was ideally made for epilepsy.  It's off label uses were then used for headaches and bi polar.  Because people were losing weight while on it, people saw it as the magical pill and were begging their doctors for Topamax....I don't think so.  It's not a weight pill and not everyone loses weight on it.  It's a good medication.  It hits hard on the temporal lobe area of the brain.  Either it works for you or will make you miserable. No inbetween.  They nicknamed it, dopamax and stupamax because of what it does to your memory and speech.  The tingling sensations are very common side effects  If this medicine is the med for you, a lot of these side effects should diminish to a certain extent.  Sometimes you have to trade off one for the other.
In starting any medication, starting very slowly is the key to avoid the major side effects. Wwith topamax, myself for example, I started at 25mg at bedtime only.  I just started this med a couple of days ago.  Very little side effects so far.  I will stay at this dose for 5 days then increase by another 25mg., until I reach my therapeutic dose.  I have noticed that it has made me much more alert making it more difficult to sleep.  therefore I have just changed it from bedtime to dinner time.  I have temporal lope epilepsy, which is probably why it is working for me.  But it just may not be the med for you.
just don't play doctor.  Research your meds and speak to your doctor if you are finding you are getting worse on this med.  however, please remember, that meds usually take a certain period of time before they start to kick in.  For me it was pretty quick, but at other times, it has taken a good 2-4 weeks before they kicked in for me.
Good luck to all!!
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site.  Just started Topamax on 3/09/07 I have noticed that I have lost 6 lbs in the past 11 days .. I haven't changed my eating habits so I can only think that this is a side effect of the medication. A good one I might add. :)  I currently take 1 25 mg pill twice a day and after 2 weeks have to increase my dosage to 3 a day and so on until I get to 175 mg a day. Is there anyone else on this particular dosage?  I haven't had any headaches THANK GOD since starting it. Hopefully I will get some more weight loss :) I would love to lose at least 30 more :)
I keep hearing about all this weight loss with Topamax.  I get bad migraines and it has been suggested that I start Topamax, however I am nervous about the weight loss.  I currently wear a size 0-2, and cannot afford to lose that much weight.  Although everyone likes losing those 5 extra vanity pounds, do I have something to worry about.  Is there anyone who hasn't lost a lot of weight? I don't consume many calories as it is and am concerned if one of the side effects is the lose of appetite.  Is it just loss of appetite or does it put your metabolism into overdrive as well?
Hi Everyone, I have been taking topamax for 1 month now... The side effects have been worth it to me. I would rather have the tingling in my fingers and toes and the 10lb weight loss than the awfull migrains that I was having. I haven't even had a headache since the first full week of taking topamax. My doctor has me at 75mg a day. I take it at night since anything I take makes me sleep. So I always get a good night sleep. Medicine just works differently with different people.  Good luck to all.
Hello friends,

I wanted to share my story to say that there is alternative solutions for us migraine sufferers. My name is Merry Cookston and I am 56 years old. I have suffered from migraine headaches since I was in high school. I was on Topamax 2xs a day plus Zomig when the headaches came on which was about 2 to 3 times per week.  

I would come home on those headache days to a dark room, not being able to eat or talk and nearly vomiting from pain.  At one point, 15 months ago, my husband did have to take me to the hospital because the migraine was so out of control.  It took 5 shots to finally knock out the pain.

After 20 years of pain and trips to the ER, I wanted to find a better way to cope.
I had a doctor friend refer me to a natural product, which has changed my life.  In fact, I have had only 2 migraines in over 15 months.

Over the past couple of months I have been sharing my story with other people who suffer with migraines like me.  My son has created a web page for me so I can reach more people who struggle with migraines and feel like they have NO HOPE.

THERE IS HOPE! Please feel free to check out more information about my story and the healthy alternative I have found to significantly help my migraines.

Copy and paste the link below into your browser window for more information or you can email me at ***@****.

http://web.mac.com/joelcookston/iWeb/Migraines/Merry%20Cookston.html

I've been on Topamax for 6 months with no side effects.  I still get migraines but not like I was. I haven't made any trips to the hospital since being on it. As for Weight Loss-I don't see it.  I'm happy on it.  It has made a difference for me.
My best friends mother has been on Topamax for 5yrs for her migraines and she has lost a ton of weight on it.
some of these comments are very unnerving. i was diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago and have been on lamictal since. after having continued panic attacks, my doctor added lexapro to my mix. appearently this is normal. in two years, i have gained nearly 30lbs, and on a 5'1 frame, it is really unhealthy. my psych and i have been watching this and yesterday she added topamax to counteract the weight gain and add as an additional mood stabilizer. gradually i will increase my dosage until i reach 100mgs over the next four weeks. i have been warned about vision, memory and numbness, it surprises me that more people haven't heard of this before taking it. i took my first dose last night, and did have trouble falling asleep, although it could have been any number of things. if you are overwieght, and are looking for only the miracle drug, i would not recommend topamax. epilepsy, migranes (migraines) and bipolar disorder are serious problems with neurological functions. any medication that adjusts those functions in attempt to correct can't be good for a healthy brain. we will see how it goes. hopefully i will be singing its praises not in the emergency room like some of the other members.
Hello everyone, I just wanted to say that im sorry for everyone that has had such a bad deal taking topamax. I am 33 years old and have been suffering with migraines since i was 13. I was put on topamax about 4 months ago and it has been the best thing that I could have done....I take 100mg every nite before bed. the first 4 weeks were hell but after the slow increase my body had gotten use to it and now im fine.....Once in a great while i will lose my thoughts but i get it back in a few seconds..I rather have a brain fart then suffer anymore...As far as the weight loss part of it i have lost 17LBS since taking it...

Its sad to say but i have thee children 3,5,and 13 and I have passed the migraines along to my 5 and 13 year old soooooooo I pray that there is hope for them and that they dont have to suffer like i did for years....

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE
I can understand what Jawyte1202 is going through.  I have been on topamax for about 6 months for migraines.  I am currently taking 100mg.  When I started the medication, I weighed 109 pounds.  I am now down to 101.  I have to make myself eat at times.  I have got to the point at night, I sit down and eat a big bowl of chocolate icecream just to try and keep my weight up.  It's like I eat, but I still keep losing the weight.  I think alot of it is muscle because I used to be a gym rat, but now that I am on this medication, I feel so tired, I don't go to gym and lift weights like I used to.  The side effects are aggravating at times, the numbness, lack of memory, being tired, and just feeling like **** (for lack of better words).  I'm hoping eventually the tiredness will subside and I can get back to my normal routine because this medicine helps my headaches tremendously, but if I keep losing weight and can't get into the gym, I'm going to have to find an alternative.

Good Luck to everyone.
I take Topomax (topamax). I didn't realize that was what was making my hands and feet tingle.
Glad I found this site. My doctors didn't know it either. Now I can tell them. I have had
Xrays and blood tests. I am on 400mgs. I have had migranes (migraines) since 1983. Topomax (topamax) and Botox is the only thing that works for me. I will put up with the tingle. I also have
fibromyalgia. No thyroid. Breast Cancer. You name I have it. I have Shingles again right now also. The good side affect is the weight loss. I have trouble sleeping so that is another reason they put me on it. Plus Rozerem. I used to take Flexeril and it made me gain weight. Good luck, As long as I know what is making my hands and feet tingle I can hadle it. They gave me something for the pain but it made me to tired and gain weight.
When I went to my doctor, he also didn't know about the tingling in the hands and feet.  He did some research on it and then realized it was the medication.  I can deal with that issue ok.  My biggest problem with the medication is being so tired and run down and the weight loss.  After this weekend, I weighed this morning, I'm now down to 99 pounds.  I'm 5'4, so I'm looking pretty bad at this point.  My husband is starting to complain, as well as everyone else around me.  

I also take tramadol once a day.  It gives me enough energy to make it through my work day.  I really don't like taking pain pills, even though this one is non-narcotic, because I'm afraid of getting addicted to them.  I have to do something because the topomax (topamax) makes me so tired I can hardly stay awake without something else.  I don't feel like doing anything.  All I want to do is sleep and be grouchy :)

One good thing is I don't have half the problems you do though.  I hope you get to feeling better and get your problems under control.

Good Luck!!
i am also new to taking topamax i just started taking 100mg this week i have a 10 lb weight loss in 10 days so far it is helping me with my migraines ,it seems to be helping me cope and get out of whatever depression i was in anybody have any suggestions ??
I was on topomax (topamax). I had to stop taking it. My face ,hands,and feet felt like something was on them all the time. My Doc. did not know what was wrong with me. I went to all kids of docs. and one told me it was the tomopmax. I stoped it cold turkey.That they say you are not to do. But I did and now all the side effects I was having sre starting to go away.As far as weight loss I had none. Everyone was saying tingling in hands and feet. Mine was more like a numness.
Topamax has given me a lot of side effects, however these side effects decreased and are controlled for the most part, after nearly two years of taking the drug. I started off at 25mg, and noticed the side effects immediately, including nausea, diarrhea, changes in my appetite, what I craved, what I could taste (including soda), and soon weight loss, numbness in the fingers and toes, forgetfulness, problems with word recall, and a fog that would cause me to take forever explaining something, telling a story, answering a question, etc., basically the feeling of stupidity. With time, I also developed a jerk/tick in my shoulder/arm/knee basically just random nerves.

Topamax is not a quick fix for those who are too lazy to lose weight on their own, you need a real reason to be on this medication, and should not try to extract a prescription for the purpose of weight loss, or be taking that if that is your most important reason for doing so. Many women will try to take meds made for sick people, everything from Topamax to Aderol (adderall), Concerta, Wellbutrin, etc., pretending they have what to many are very serious issues, for very shallow reasons.  This can and probably will backfire on your health in the end.

After nearly two years, my dose is at 200mg. With all of the other medications I'm taking, it is hard to tell whether the jerk/tick in my nerves is actually from the Topmax, or from its interaction with the other drugs I take. My taste is completely back to normal, and all of my other side effects, from word recall and my feelings of stupidty, to (you will either be happy, or very disappointed to hear) my nausea and loss of appetite are gone. I'm still feeling a bit tired during the days, however taking it at bedtime and going to bed at a decent hour makes a lot of difference. The weight loss evens out once your body adjusts to the medication. It is usually only temporary, and it is almost always muscle you have lost, as you should know, because you are probably too tired to do too much physically if you are not eating and are losing weight quickly. It comes back, even as you increase your dose. Trust me. I was highly sensitive to 25mg, the smallest dose possible, and I only became more immune as time went on, at higher and higher doses. It takes more than a few months to give your body a good, fighting chance to get used to new chemicals being introduced to it. This should make many of you feel good, and for those of you who it disappoints, shame on you, go for a jog, and be glad you have legs.
I am just taking myself off Topamax after 10 months. I have been to the doctors and had bloodwork ran more than once because of the way I have felt. I wake up feeling like I havent gotten enough rest more days than not. I feel drained...tired all the time, weak. I was sure something was wrong with me. The doctor told me my results were fine. I even asked if it could be the Topamax, he said no. I have also experienced a great amount of hair loss. After researching Topamax on the internet...website after website, I found out there are MANY people experiencing the same thing. I am absolutly convinced it is this medication. I am cutting down from 100mg to 50mg, then off it completly in hope after time I will become my normal self again.
DO NOT take Topamax. It can cause permanent brain damage, and it would be stupid to take it for weight loss- I didn't lose any weight while taking it. While it seemed like a miracle drug (it stopped my chronic vertigo from my migraines), after about a year and a half of taking 50mg (which is considered a low dose), I began turning into a vegetable...I developed a severe studder and my mind was a blank slate- I couldn't have a simple conversation; I felt tired, like my body was shutting down. After gradually stopping it (if you stop it suddenly you can have a seizure, and you have horrible tingling and spaciness when starting and stopping it), those symptoms all went away, thank God; but my memory does seem to be worse since then.

Neuros hand it out like candy now- a doc gave put my friend on 150mg because her head hurt when she ran (which is most likely congestion). During the year or so that I was taking it they added about three warnings to the Topamax label, including one for brain damage. I later saw a neuro who denied that the Topamax could cause the symptoms I have, because it's "not documented"...but if you search the net, many people complain of and many docs warn against such severe side effects.

If you want to lessen migraines, go an organic diet and get rid of sodas and other triggers- most migraineurs are heavily affected by trigger foods. And if you want to lose weight, start an exercise program, not a drug regimen.
Man I am REALLY glad I read alot of these.  I am about to be on my 3rd week of this med and my biggest gripe is the way my tonge feels.  It feels like I burned it and I cannot taste things like they should.  But from the sounds of it, it seems normal.  The tingling and stuff would be hard for me to judge cuz I am always losing feeling in my hands and feet anyhow.  And as far as the weight loss have not lost any yet.  On it for constant migraines though.  started with 25mg a day, just got finished with 25mg 2x a day, now I am going to 25mg in the am and 50mg in the pm.  I hope that this feeling goes away on my tongue soon, it hurts ALOT!!!

Tina
I've just recently been put on Topamax for nerve pain, and I haven't seen a lot of comments about how this works or helps?  My dr also said that it will help with my migraines, which I get 2-3 a month, and will assist with any weight loss goals...well, I've just started, and I need to know is there anyone who is taking this for pain?  Nerve pain?  Any feedback would be great....
tommy
well, it's been 5 weeks now on Topamax and all I have to say is I think it's working for my nerve pain, at least I've only experience pain if I did too much around the house.  I still take a narcotic at bedtime, but other than that, I think it's helping.  My migraines are gone-with only one sinus headache lately. The other thing that is exciting for me is that I dropped over 10 pounds in the first 10 days (which I know was way too fast-but couldn't help it), So far in 5 weeks I have lost 15 pounds....I just was not interested in food at all due to the taste-NOTHING taste good to me-I just wasn't hungry at all-just very thirsty all the time.  I was addicted to diet coke...I still have the same diet coke in my fridg that I bought over a month ago because I cannot drink it!  I have the tingling in my left foot from time to time, also in my fingers as well....hair loss, Im still trying to figure this one out-I do lose hair normally, Im just trying to see if its more-so now then before?  Im watching carefully and informing my hairdresser of this...and the other annoying thing is my hair if I dont wash it (which I don't everyday) smells like a bag of "chips"...or smells burnt, or cooked or something....can't put my finger on it-just doesn't smell right...UGH!  Other than that-feel pretty good.....Tommy
Hi I was giving topamax for moods.... I began having panic attacks which I've never ever had...  after being on topamax for several months, I finally stopped.... well I've continued to have those panic attacks for years afterwards now.. Last night I had three alone during my sleep... Anyone else have this long lasting side effect??????

by Monique
I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for 3 weeks for migraines. The First week I took 15 mg twice a day and and now 30 mg twice a day.So far..... I feel great, no headaches!!!! I do have some side effects some tingle in hands feet, coke tastes flat. I hope it does not change or get worse cause honestly, it is nice not to have headaches everyday!!! I have had migraines since elementary school. I am now 35 yrs. The imtrex is nice too, do not get me wrong but if i run out or don't get take it in time> Nice not to have a migraine. Hope for someone this is a positive post for them to read. My dosage amount is alot less then some of the above posted.
Hi, I have been on topamax for years and am now taking 300 mg a day. I am 32 years old. I am bulimic. Topamax has saved my life as far as the binge eating goes, however, my thinking is all over the map!
I drive past my house, I forget appointments that are at the same time every week, I'm a wreck. I live w/ a planner at the hip. They should coin this drug "dope-a-max". Symptoms never fully disappear, atleast, not for me and I am frustrated. I too, have major anxiety, but I never thought to relate that to the topamax. I just thought it was part of my depression. I'm discouraged to see so many people suffering from the same side effects that I have. This is truly a disappointment.
I am a 33-year-old mother of two who has suffered from severe chronic migraines for over six years. I have also run the gammit of migraine medications, without much success for long. Five years ago my neuro doc tried me on Verapamil and Topamax. The Verapamil was fine- no problems there. The Topamax was another story. It was horrible. Joint pain, problems concentrating and overall lack of interest in most everything. I stuck it out until I became pregnant with my second child, but it was hard. Since my second child, my migraines have worsened. I went back to my neuro doc this past Dec. 22nd, 2010. He diagnosed with me with Vascular Artery Disease, HPB and Vascular Migraines. He put me back on both medications. I did fine with the Verapamil again, and at first the Topamax was awesome. I lost 21 lbs in six weeks and I felt wonderful. I slept well, I ate less, I had NO headaches at all and life was good. I did have the tingling in my hands and feet and carbonated beverages were flat, but both of those things I could deal with. What happened next I could not deal with. Last week I began having muscle spasms below my left eye. They progressively got worse to where the whole left side of my face would twitch out of control. On Tuesday of this week I began having slight paralysis of the left side of my face and by Wednesday I had a sort of Bell's Palsy-type of reaction where my the entire left side of my face became slack. Needless to say, I was a little scared. However, if you go back in time on this forum and look at a posting dated Jan. 5th, 2007 at 12am you will find a woman who went through the exact same thing. I d/c'd the Topamax without titrating down, which I am aware is a bad thing to do, and today (Friday) I have very little spasming and my face has returned to a 95% normal function. Yesterday my neuro doc told me on the phone that it was very unlikely that Topamax would ever do this to me, but I beg to differ. There are too many other people out there who have had similar problems for this to be a non-issue. It's really too bad that Topamax does not take it seriously, nor do our doctors. It does make me really disheartened and frustrated, though, because for the first time in SO long I felt really good. For those of you who are taking Topamax successfully and without these horrible side effects, I am really excited for you. For those that have had a similar experience to mine, know that you are not alone- nor are you crazy.
i have read about tingling feet. more like pins and needles in my heels. also read about tingling in face and agree with it being more like electricity running through face. read mostly about potasium helping but someone else swore on zinc. called neurologist, he said to try. i take both potasium and zinc (cheap vitamins from store). almost instand help in heals, not completely gone yet. starting to help with face as well. hope this helps someone else. i am at 50mg twice a day going to 100mg twice a day. no relief from goofy memory loss yet, hoping leveling off at max dose with resolve this like most post say.
Blessings,
J
hi my child has really bad headaches and they put her on topamax
should i be concern she 8
To the mom with the 8 year old daughter with migraines, be very wary of taking Topamax, read our experience:

My 8 year old son suffers from horrible migraines. His doctor prescribed him Topamax.  My son was on this medication for about 6 weeks.  His mood started to change and he started showing really agressive behavior towards his brother and his friends.  He was also not sleeping at night......This was not my child, it was sad to see.  I had to make the decision of what I felt was right for my child.  We weaned him off the medicine, and with in a week and a half his behavior returned to normal.  However, here we are 5 weeks with out the medicine and the migraines have returned. He's had 3 in two weeks.  I am hoping there are alternatives to Topamax!
I have been on Topamax now for 6 months and it has been GREAT.. I wish they would of given me this years ago.. I have been a migraine sufferer for too long and tried everything even block injections, acupuncture, numerous medications and therapies but nothing worked until Topamax. This is a true wonerdrug with no side effects except weightloss and I mean who wouldnt like that??? At first I got a slight numbness and tingling in my fingers but that went away after a week.. more doctors should give patients this than narcodics which cause rebound heachaches and other side effects that are way worse than weightloss!!!
I am age 40 mom and wife of 3 teenagers. I am on Topamax, my dr. just increased my dose to 75 mg and it is helping. I have been on it 1 month now and my miggraines are alot less. I used to get them almost daily, and was so sick of it. I am doing alot better. I am loosing a pound a week, now also and also notice  I dont like soda pop as much either, due the taste of pop is funny. But I still drink it go figure. Now one issue I am scared about is my eyes have been dialated for a few days now and dr. is aware of this, he didnt comment on it, he knows i'm on the medication, my eyes been watery too. I will call him next week if it continues. I am hoping no eye damage from Topamax. I dont want to stop taking it but will if I have to. I wish everyone good luck with this medication. Just start out on a low dose and work your way up that is what my dr. does. I am seeing results with lesser migraines. I am so far ok with the medication except my eyes. I am also happy with loosing 8 pounds this month. Whohoo~~~~~~~
I have been on 50mg of Topamax twice a day for about 3 weeks now.  Definitely have nausea and constipation; however, absolutely no weight loss. If anything, weight gain.  Coca Cola is horrible!  I don't eat much at one sitting but get unbelievable hunger pains throughout the day and night.  Have never in my life experienced such hunger pains.  My mood swings are incredible.  I cry at anything/nothing and then scream at the top of my lungs in my next breath.  I have also noticed difficulty in attention, concentration and recall.  The good news is my migraines are less frequent.  
It sounds to me like you have Fibromyalgia. (Just sayin) because you hurt all over and your muscles hurt . With the migranes (migraines) and or headaches. Look into it and see if it matches your problems. Try doing some research on it, www.osteopathic.org/fibro...Don't stop ther though because there are a lot of websites you can learn from. Good luck and Hope this helps. don't let anyone tell you it's not a disease. IT IS...
I started Topamax 2 weeks ago. So far I haven't noticed any serious side effects and I have lost 14 pounds. I am thrilled. My back pain has decreased extensively, which is why I started the Topamax. I have several discs in my lower back that are protruding and smashed together. Anyway, I would recommend Topamax to anyone who wants to lose weight and minimize pain. It may not work for everyone the way it works for me but it is worth a shot. My Doctor is my new hero! Good luck to everyone out there.
I take topamax for my bipolar and i have lost 68 pounds in a year. I started out at 195 and now down to 127. i have had no side effects from the drug. Blood work has came back normal. My husband has lost 45 pounds so far. he is on it due to his weight.  
It's good to hear someone else out there had the same problem I am having.  I feel disorganized, confused and foggy.  I am forgetting words, talking slower, thinking slower....  I once forgot my own car, where I was, and why I was there.  It lasted only seconds but it was scary.  It feels like the beginning of Alzheimers and I am only in my 30's and it started when I started taking Topamax for Migraines.  The instructions said to not stop abruptly or the symptons will be worse so I have to go see my Dr. to get me off.  Yes it is a scary situation to be in, almost like Russian Roulette.  You don't know when the brain will give up on you, and you know deep within yourself that it is going in that direction.  I really hope I regain my faculties when I get off this medication.
I'm bipolar and am on 42 pills a week. I've gained so much weight and on top of that I had a baby 7 months ago. My doctor is putting me on topamax soon for weight loss. Any other's with bipolar disease and taking topamax?? I'd love to hear how it's been for you.
after you adjust, your appetite returns to normal as does your metabolism.  It works great for migrains.  I have suffered since I was 12 (44 now)  and this is the first drug to really help.  I notice mild symptoms of what others complain about but nothing significant.  try it....you can always stop
I'm 22 and I've been on Topamax since November.  I'm losing my ever loving mind!!!  One of my friends is a doctor and when he found out that I was going to start taking it, he didn't want me too...he refers to it as Crazymax, and I now understand why.

It has helped with my headaches.  I don't have them every day like I did have, and I have lost some weight.  I wouldn't recommend taking it just for the weight loss though.

I finally got my appetite back when I started working out again, before that I was to the point of eating 1 meal a day...and having to force myself to eat all of it.

I have to make lists all the time, or put things in my phone so I don't forget.  I forget where I'm going.  I'll be driving down the road and begin trying to figure out where it is that I'm going, because I've forgotten.  There have been mornings that I've washed my hair 2-3 times in the shower because I don't remember doing it.
I do not know what Topamax you all took or have taken but I have been taking it for some time now and yes, at first it was weird but that is why my doctor recommended I took it at night while I slept.  Yes, I still had tingling and I was forgetful during my tappering of the medication, but I finished my Bachelors, my Masters in Science and now half way through my PhD. and I love not having migraines.  Yes, I lost 30 pounds and I not only stopped having the killer migraines but I look good and still continued my studies, which I thought (according to all the stories I was hearing) would have to drop out of school.  I am so blessed because in my family we have lost several to Aneurysms and I didn't want to be another statistic in my family.  Topamax has been a blessing for me and my family.  I have no issues.  It is crazymax at all.  TAKE IT AT NIGHT NOT DURING THE DAY PEOPLE---HELLO!!!!
I started on Topamax only a few days ago.  I am taking it for migraines and hoping to lose weight as well.  So far, I have not lost any weight.  I sort of believe that the reason it works for losing weight is that it makes people lose their appitite which for me is really not going to help a lot.  I do not over eat and already have to remember to eat.  The Topamax is making me a little quesy so I am probably already eating a little less than before.  I can tell that I am having a little trouble remembering some tasks that I would do on a regular basis on the computer and that is worrying me.  I am still on a verly low dose because I am in the "building up" phase.  I really hope this works.
i am new to this site and i just read ur post..i know it was made years ago. i know it is not a good idea for ppl to take this med jus to lose weight or any other medication for that matter because of the severity of the side effects. but in that being said..i am someone who has struggled with my weight my entire life and have done every diet in the book..and healthy eating and exercise..life changes do work yes..however, this medication is prescribed now for eating disorders mostly bulimia and binge eating disorder; and thats why i have been prescribed it. I have binge eating disorder so im hoping this medication, at a low dosage, will hopefully help me with my urges in my binging and my obsessions with food and the depression and much more that comes along with it. I dont expect or even want this pill to make me lose the weight even though i have about 50lbs to lose, i want it to assist me into controlling my disorder and allowing me to make healthy choices and not just some quick fix.
I also have been taking Topamax for about 6 years (I am 27) for my seizures.I take 450mg/day to control my epilepsy. As high as the dosage sounds, I have adjusted to most the side effects after many months, if not years to find what meds are best for me. I still have problems with remembering things and the "sudden loss of words", and confusion at times, ordeal all the time- and sodas still taste horrible. I did lose around 15- 20lbs when i first began Topamax, which I was concerned about considering I am 5'1 and dropped to 92lbs. But now my weight has leveled out for my size. As for the memory concerns-  My suggestion for anyone who has these symptoms and wants to continue on this drug is to keep a planner and a list of "things to do" on hand at all times. I still can not live with out my planner or my notebook I carry on hand all day-  of course I have always been one to have a planner... There is hope- I promise.
However, I would not recommend this drug just for weight loss simply because the side effects aren't worth going through for a short term period. Good luck!  
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for almost a year now. I have lyme disease along with life long problems with migraines.  At first I thought the topomax (topamax) was a miracle cure as it took my headaches away.  Then, about three months into treatment I started getting severe insomnia and after a day of painting doors I was in severe body pain.  I ended up in hospital with a ck count of 18000 which no doctor could ascribe to anything. I had all the symptoms of a heart attack and kidney failure, except I had neither. After they sorted me I was on only 50mg and I just felt I could not move upwards. My face kept tingling and was numb on the one side. As I had Bell's Palsy before the drs said it was the palsy that showed up again. I also had no taste and I would at times get a "melting" feeling. It felt like my arms or legs started burning up and then melted.  I often felt like I stood in a puddle of myself.  I had two more of the severe painful muscles episodes after a normal day of working in my home and when I started forgetting the names of people I know I knew something was wrong.  I could not stand the burning sensation, which my neorologist said is quite normal, anymore.  I could not remember my phone number and I was forgetting what I was doing.  As I am a lecturer at UNi level I could no longer afford these symptoms.  My GP has agreed to slowly wean me off the tablets and I am on 25mg every alternate night.  The tingling is disapearing and I could do some gardening without severe pain in the muscles. My sleep is also returning. I do not think the side-effects of this medicine is worth using it as a weightloss pill.  Now that I am going off, the so-called lyme symptoms are also getting better and my thinking is that there are much better ways to get rid of a big or small problem than taking this risk.
I am on Topamax and Gapapentin for migraines for 5 months and have slowly worked up to 150 mgs a day of Topamax and 400 mg of Gabapentin. My migraines are gone and I only get headaches once in while. I tried Topamax in the past and was afraid to try again, but my neurologist advised side effects are because a dosage is too high for your body to adjust to.  I started at a low dose and went up by 12.5-25 mgs a week or two weeks at a time to build to the current dosage. After 5 months I've been taking 150 mg a day for only the past two weeks. I highly recommend if you are going to take Topamax you build up the dosage.  I started with 25 mg a twice a day and built up from there as I could handle it.  I am being treated by the University of Washington and really believe this was the best course of action.  I only have tingling in my little toe once in a while and I am never ever hungry and I love water as a result. I'm just saying if you have migraines there is  hope out there and if you take the treatment slow enough, it might be helpful without adding addition turmoil to your system.  Good luck!  I would never recommend this course of treatment for weight loss alone.
I started taking Topomax (topamax) since June 2013 because the VA doctor I never met before told me I was bipolar even though I was told I was ADHD my whole life from other veteran Admin doctors, even childhood shrinks said I was. She put me on Topo 50mg twice a day. It didn't do anything for me except make me lose 40lbs. I thoughts she was nuts. I never thought I was bi-polar and felt nothing emotionally taking this stuff except tinging in my fingers once and a while and I was a little tired. That's it. Even up my dosage myself to 100mg twice a day to think maybe I would get something out of it. Nope just tingling once in a blue moon in my fingers and tired once in a while like always. No memory loss or other problems other people have mention. But losing weight still. New VA doctor said I do have ADHD and may have Aspergers and she wants to test me for it and she put me on Ritalin at 5mg 3 times a day and I said I like this Topomax (topamax) for weight lost and wanted to continue (wanted to get back down to my Army weight. Gained a lot of weight after I got hurt in the Army) she said just take the Topomax (topamax) at bed time so instead of taking 50 mg twice a day I just take 100mg at bed time. So far so good with all the meds.
I've been taking topamax for 3yrs now and take 300mg a day. I've been lucky and haven't had any side effects really. I take it for severe migraines along with imipramine, 225mg at bedtime. It is also a seizing medication used to treat migraines. I've been taking them together for 3 years now and they help but don't completely take them away. As for the weightloss, in the last year I've lost almost 70lbs. I know it's from the topamax because I have a bladder disease that makes it very difficultfor me to loose it on my own, I had surgery on my bladder a year ago and the weight started falling off with no help from me. I don't really exercise or watch what I eat, I eat what I want just in moderation.
I am on 200mg looking to raise to 300mg so far i havent had any side effects other than the tingling and that has even gone away congradulations on the weight loss of 70lbs that is a lot of weight to lose I am looking to loose 55lbs I know I can do it because my head aches and my appetite is completely gone please write back and tell me how you are doing now
I accidentally took topamax, and lost complete motor skills to my arms from the elbow down and my whole head I lost the ability to speak and everything felt tingly but I couldn't feel it when someone touched me, I ended up being completely paralyzed for 8 hours and my temperature was extremely high, I sat in a fridge with ice down my shirt and was still over heating. I thought I was dying. It's been almost 2 weeks now since this happened. After I got the feeling back and was able to use my hands again my veins started constricting and I had to keep pumping the blood back into my hands by making fists and if I stopped my veins got right and then my hands got cold. It was literally the worse experience of my life. I called the hospital for an ambulance and figured out I was losing my ability to speak and that's when I dropped the phone. I had lost the ability to do anything except cry. I do not think anyone should ever take this drug, I don't want anyone to ever go thru what I went thru. Which may have been an allergic reaction but it also could have been because my mom has seizures and I don't so it attacked me differently. Please be careful and does anyone know why my motor skills are still off and if I could be dying?
I was Topamax for over 10 years I never had any of the side effects that are described here... The worst I ever had was a little twitch under one eye, slight body odor and weight-loss. I didn't have a migraine in all the time I was on it unfortunately after 10 years it just stopped working.
I would go back on it again tomorrow, if my doctor said it would work on my migraines again...