Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Topomax, Weightloss,SideEffects,Pros

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Topomax, Weightloss,SideEffects,Pros

Please share on how you have been effected by using Topamax.How long have you used it?Why?Have you had any side effects?And if so to what extreem.What other medications do you take along with Topomax (topamax).Has you family noticed any differences in you?

On that note let me introduce myself.My name is Davette.I have been on Topomax (topamax) about 31/2months.I have migrains and seizures.I have been extremely effected by the side effects.Mostly memory and spelling.I have tingling in the fingers and toes.I also have little appetite and have lost 17lbs.Witch is great for me. I am over weight.I am tired more than normal,but i did sleep alot due to migrains.I do have more side effects and stuff,but I wont over load you all at once.I know this sounds like alot, but it has gotten better as time goes on. I have started to level off and become more normal.I dont feel the tingles as much and i have more of an appetite (darn)he he.I have less migrains down from 18 days a month to about 7 or 8 at the most.I am happy about that.Please feel free to ask any questions and talk about your self. we can help each other out.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
Where are you I miss talking to you!!!We topomax (topamax) users need to stick together.Davette.
Hello its Sallie Iv been on topamax since December iv lost 34 lbs. i went off of effexor for depresion , b.p. meds, meridia, serequel to sleep. i had alote of family pass away close togather.we found out my husband had cancer. i had to have a complet hysterectomy @ 31.alote of things at once. i started having real bad headaces every day ,they would start around 4:00 and would not go away untill i would go to sleep.i tried to go off of topamax but they came right back.i take 200 mg. a day.i take that and a multi vitamin every day now thats it.soda still tast funny the pins and needels feelings left along time ago.i do bruise real easy and my scalp is realy itchy and dry  all the time.im also starting to have some break threw headaces.good luck every one !!!
What do you mean by break threw headaches? I have had more headaches than before. In the first months i had one a month. now it is more,but still nothing like before the topomax (topamax).I am jellouse about the weightloss.I am so sorry to here about your family.Life gives us headaches.I really hope you are doing better.I am here if you need a friend. I have less tingling now also.I have not had the soda effect though. I still can drink a gallon a day with no problem.I wish it tasted bad.keep in touch.Davette
hello! when i first started med my headaces went away completly,i had them every day, now they are starting to come back alittle.how much do you take a day? i take 200mg a day.100 in am and 100 in pm.with the weight your catching up fast!are you the one that does the tredmill? reading the diffrent topamax forums.good luck!!!
Yes i am the one that did the treadmill,but honestly i have been so tired that i have tottally given up.I take 100mg.My doctor is hesitant to go up at all.Davette
I am 33 and have been on SSRI meds for deoression since 2000.  Before meds, I never weighed more than 130.  I now weigh 178.  My psychiatrist has offered Topomax (topamax) to me as an option to deal with both my weight gain and depression.

As much as I want to lose weight, the list of side effects for Topomax (topamax) scares me.  My current med, Effexor/Lithium has side effects such as weight gain, constipation, tremor, etc.  While I hate being fat, blurry vision ans brain fog don't appeal to me either.  Of course there are also the risks of diabetes and heart disease from being overweight too.

I'm having a very hard time deciding about this.  Any advice is welcome.
eveyone is different ,but the best thing i have ever done was to go off of effexor!it took two years of my life away. i did not leave the house ,i was not myself.i have 4 children i missed out on alote of games ,sports and just plane fun stuff with them. i went from 123lbs way up.effexor is very,very,very hard to withdrawl (withdrawal) from though.i was put on it when i had alote of deaths in my family close togather.i started topamax for headaces, as of yesterday i have lost 36 lbs. the only time i ever weighed more than 123 was if i was pregnant.@ 123 that was soon after haveing my 4th child. my normal weight from around the age 13 untill 29 was between 103-113 @5foot4. good luck!!
Hi Sorry I have been so bussy that I have neglected the site.I have been doing so good.I wanted to tell you how well the topomax (topamax) is going.I switched the times I take my medication.I take it durring the day and not at night.Unlike most I dont get tired from this medication.When I take it I am energized.So I have learned how to deal with the med.I Would tell you though that even durring the bad times with topomax (topamax) it is better than with out.I can only tell you from my experience that my reason for the med was for headaches but has helped ultimately with my temper....,weight and other things.I do have side effects.but heck to me they arnt worse then head aches.hope i helped a little ..
i am soooo glad to hear that you are doing good !!!
i hope things stay well for you ,great luck to you!!
i love the headaces being gone :)
hello i was just put on that topomax (topamax) last monday starting @ 25mg.  do you have to be on a certain diet to lose weight from this medication.  can someone help me out please.
Hey you guys! just started topamax 10 days ago and am almost to 200mg. a day.  I have lost about 5 lbs.  And Dr. Peppers burn the heck outta my throat.  But i have also been a nervous wreck cause of fam. issues so maybe thats why i can't eat- anywho, i have bad tingling in my feet and i am also wondering if there is a specific diet to follow in order to lose weight on this med.  Has helped w/ my migraines, has also made me sleepy.  I also take zoloft and yasmin.  Does anyone know if there is an increased risk for blood clots while on this, i tend to be a worrier and i just want to know from someone who knows whats up?  thanks!
Yes, at times I have tingling in my hands and feet and I have some problems concentrating , and recalling the correct word but when I weight that against have 25 headaches amonth verses 5 its worth it. I did lose 17 lbs but I also became a vegetarain and exerise over an hour every day. I an a teacher so I have to function in the clssroom and learn new curriculum every year.In addition, I train other teachers in my distict in my building so I have to be in front of other people speaking a all times so if I sound stupid it would show.People don't tell me I sound stupid.
you do sound stupid!!!  

not!!!! I am about to start on this topamax and I wonder what is going to happen.
this is my first time,so help me please!!  please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
200mg a day after 10 days... thats way to much.
With Topomax (topamax) you start low and progress slow!

Start with 25mg and progress with 25mg a week.
So now you should be on 50mg (and not 200)

By the way, all CO2 drinks will taste like hell.

The same goes for food and coffee.

Some small tests also sugest it helps against alcohol and nicotine abuse.

But in the US it's not allowed for that....!

albert
Effexor is evil.  I was using it after the loss of my sister and my uterus.  I went off Effexor and went on Topomax (topamax) and I've lost 30 lbs.  I lost my appetite at first (good riddance) and had a minimal amount of tingling in my fingertips, but this stuff has been great.  The headaches have improved and I can't wait until the FDA officially approves it for weight loss.  So what if the soda tastes bad.  Who needs it.

Julie
I just started my dosage of Topomax (topamax). I took 25mg last night and 25mg this morning. I am at work and I am already having the "pins and needles" sensation in my hands and fingers. Its really hard to concentrate on work. I have missed alot of time due to this migraines. I have been in and out of the doctors office for the past 2 weeks, and in the ER once. I have another doc appt on Friday. I hope this Topomax (topamax) works. I am not so happy about this feeling in my hands though, because I need to be able to concentrate. How long, on average, does this last?
anyone start on 25mg and have more headaches than before meds?
I am going to my doctor on Friday and am looking for help with "panic attacks"  more like clostraphobia (okay I don't know how to spell it, I just experience it!)  I was talking to a friend and she has been on it for awhile for the headaches, and all around stress related reasons.  She says it has helped in every way.  I am currently taking Celexa, but that seems to have stopped working lately.  Is anyone taking it for "anxiety"?

Thanks,  
Laura
Hi Laura!

Karen here. Just reading this cuz I just started 2 days ago (tonight w/b my 3rd dose). I have been under mega stress....and have gained 25# on Lexapro (thnx, doc....ex-doc, actually!). Went to new doc, told him about headaches which are occurring weekly now, and last anywhere from 1 - 3 days - to hosp twice in 6mos. Anyhow, you asked about anxiety, and I can tell you that I was telling my new doc my 'story' ....all the 'stuff' goin' on in my life....and I was shaking and crying. Did he prescribe for anxiety? Well, he said it would help w/ 1) headaches 2) weight and 3) anxiety, so I'd have to say yes. We'll see how it actually works.

So far, no tingling for me. Don't drink sodas, so no worry there. If this Does help w/ the anxiety attacks I've been having, I may just have to kiss that doc! ha

Take care!

Karen
I Just started taking 75 mg of topamax 5 days ago. I have had migrains for years. Does this stuff work?  Is it worth all these side effects? If it makes the headache stop from forming I will take any side effect!!!!
New User,
Susie
I just stopped taking Topamax 2 weeks ago... if I start taking it again, will I lose weight the same as when I first started takign it?  Or will I have built up a tolerance to all the side effects, bot positive (weight loss) and negative?
This is so great to read your experiences.  I just started this to help with severe headaches.  In anyone's experience does it work?  Is it worth the risk of side effects?  I started at 25mg. 3 days now 25mg. 2 x a day for a week working up to 100mg/day.  Looking forward to the weight loss part - have lots to lose!  Have tried many things in the past for headaches.  The soda thing is interesting.  I love Coke and took a sip yesterday and couldn't drink it cuz it tasted weird.  Never occurred to me it could be the meds.  Thanks for any info. Wendy
I am taking Topamax for Epilepsy and am on a schedule to inscrease the dosage to like 200 or something like that. I used to take Carbatrol but had break through seizures and carbatrol can be bad for your liver which worried me. The side effects are driving me mad though, my feet are constantly falling asleep whenever I cross my legs or put my foot on my knee and the tingling is worse in my face then in my fingers. Everyone talks about being tired but I couldn't sleep if you beat me with a wet noodle and I often wake up in the middle of the night with a wrestless feeling in my legs. I don't mind losing weight but I enjoy food, it's part of the joy of life. My stomach seems to remember this but my mouth has forgotten, nothing sounds good anymore. I can't even nap. It's driving me crazy. I could stand it but for this feeling in my face. Perhaps it will fade with time.
I have been taking Topamax for 2 months now.   I have been loosing weight as well.  My headaches have gotten much better.  I am only taking 50 mg a day.  I have been getting headaches again here lately, but i think it is sinus'.  I can't tell.  I have been very irritated.  Very, very tired.  Can't get enough sleep.  6 hours sure isn't enough.  I have been having diareaha as well every day.  Not good.   Stomach bloating or cramps.  I am taking Lexapro 20 mg a day and love it except I don't get mad over anything anymore ha ha.  I can't drink sodas anymore either.  Not that I drank them much anyhow.  I won't stop drinking my coffee for nothing though!!!  Does the weight loss and diareaha eventually stop and when?  and When should I increase my dosage?

My doctor and I are working on meds to help with my migraines and she mentioned Topamax.  I wanted to research the side effects and compair it to Verapamil.  Honestly I would do anything to get rid of these migraines - I've even told my doctor I would shave my head if I needed to!!!  So do you think it is the Topamax that is affecting your stomach & irritated feeling?  I have PMS problems, so the irritation does not need to be aggrivated!!!
I am on Topomax (topamax) specifically for weight loss.  I take 25mg a day.  I have lost 28lbs in 10 months.  From 150 to 122.  I actually GOT headaches from the Topomax (topamax).  Probably because I didn't have migraines in the first place.  My doctor told me that when I feel the pins and needles in my fingers and toes to drink more water.  This does take it away.  Also, the foggyness does go away.  My doctor feels that Topomax (topamax) sucks thyroid out of you.  If you notice alot of hair in the shower when you wash your hair, really cold hands, really tired in the afternoon, restless sleep patterns along with weightloss I strongly suggest getting on thyroid.  It will turn you around.
Topomax does help migraines, but it does take time and adjustment of dose. Also you might have to go up and down to find the right dose if you tend to have depression, or if you notice it causing some depression, but that will go away.

I've been on it 3 times - each time electing to go off for various reasons - this time I'm on to stay because it helps the migraines. I have PMDD, but Topomax (topamax) doesn't make me irritable. If you find yourself irritable, your doctor can give you something during the time when you're most irritable, just to get you through that. I found Lamictal to be a godsend to even out my moods, and I'm not
bi-polar - but there are side effects, and not everyone can take it because in a small percentage of people it can cause Stevens Johnson syndrome. I tried 25 mg Seroquel during my periods, and it evened me out, but was too sedating.  You and your doctor will find the right combo with some experimenting. So don't let that keep you from trying Topomax (topamax) - worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and quit.

Make sure to drink plenty of water because Topomax (topamax) can cause stones - not just kidney stones. And if you find yourself forming one, drink lemonade to acidify your system. Make it with real lemon juice and artificial sweetner to taste - the acid will keep the stones from forming. My doctor told me to drink my water with a lemon wedge or squeeze of lemon all the time, that way I'm sure to keep a little acid in my system.

Good luck VickiJo
I am still trying to get used to Topomax (topamax). Its still very hard. I upped the dose to 100mg a day. I am having the tingling, my scalp is flaky, I have very little appetite (yay), but no sex drive (not good for my fiance), I cant sleep, I am very restless. I like this drug because it keeps me at work. Before it, I could not work, I would miss work all the time due to my migraines. They would last for weeks. I almost lost my job. Now I am at work all the time and doing very well, other than the fact that I cant sleep at night. I have a lost a little bit of weight. I am drinking plenty of water, always did, even before this medicine though. I am open to any suggestions to anything that will help me. Does this help with depression? It seems to be causing mine to get worse...?
At this time i am not taking topomax (topamax) for migraines.I took it for 1 1/2 years I had tingling I found that I had to drink alot of water. at least 64 ounces everyday. sweet things tasted sweeter and I lacked an appetite.not a bad thing for me.I crie easily about actually nothing expaining things was most difficult. I got very depressed and had thoughts I have never before experienced in my life. I felt like I could'nt catch up with myself. and the drs. just kept putting me on meds for my side effects. It made me confused and also frustated. I finally went off the med because my husband knew that was what was happening and now I am med free I deal with the headaches and I do experience blurred vision before I get one and that never happened before.I thank-God that my husband had that good sense . my thinking is now more clear and I am able to work,and I care whether I have freinds or not. I am not depressed and I do have stresses in my life. but I am able to deal with them. I hope this helps . but do remember I am not a dr.  
Hi, I was just put on topomax (topamax) today,but unlike you all not for migraines. I had brain surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia in Sept 2006 and still suffer daily with facial pain on average of a 7. I am on Neurontin, Tegretol, trileptal, seraquel, cymbalta, protonics, atenenol and clonopin also. I am always in pain, constipated, either sleep for days or dont sleep at all for days. I am so messed up by this pain. I have not worked in 2 years and my life is basically just falling apart. I saw that you all mentioned weight loss and I could really use that considering I have gained 50 pounds since this all started mostly due to lack of leaving the house and all the meds. I totally understand what you mean about depression. I don't leave the house unless I have an appointment, I have missed my sons schools activities as well as family things and holildays. It really stinks and I am hoping this medication does something for me. Any suggestions for me please feel free to tell me because the dr didn't really tell me anything about this medication and I am a wreck reading everything on the internet about it. my email is ***@****
Hi, I was on Topomax (topamax) a couple of years old and quit it due to side affects mostly fuzzy feeling and off balance feeling when I moved to quickly.  I was so disappointed for having to discontue it because it helped so much with my decrease in appetite.  I was taking the very minimal dose but still chose to discontine.  I several months ago asked my doctor to put me on it again for appetite control but unfortunately it is not affecting my appetite at all this time.  I am also taking Triliptal though. I recently heard  and have just confirmed with my pharmicist  hat the Topomax (topamax) is not working this time because the two meds do Not go together.  The Tripital causes a certain ingredient in the Topomax (topamax) to release faster than it should so therefore not staying in the body long enough for the benefit of takiing the medicine. Any info from others would be helpful.  since Topomax (topamax) and Tripital are both mood medicatons I have a decision to make.  I too have a weight problem
Hello this is my first time using this web site. Its about my mom who takes topomax (topamax) for migraines and seizers. Shes been on it for 4 years. and is now trying to get off it with doctors help. They cut her down to half a day for a week then none after that, Its been two says and shes in alot of pain. her legs feet and etc. are painful and also feel like bugs crawling on her body. She has lost ALOT of weight and is down to 101 pounds. she is 58 and having alot of problems. anyhelp will do. I am 34 and my mom is my life. Please help I I pray for all that is having any problems of this sort. Thank you Meda
I just found this forum today and your experiences sound very similar to mine.  I have been on topomax (topamax) (my family is calling it dopamax because I am having so much trouble accessing my former vocabulary) for almost five weeks.  The tingling in my hands and esp feet is nearly constant and my nights are very long - very restless.  I have not noticed a difference in my appetite and that little benefit is the one thing that keeps me willing to stick with it, although not the primary purpose for me.  How are you doing now? It's been some time since you posted?  are you improving?  I would love to see people update their progress.  My family is enouraging me to stop this drug because of the cognitive issues - the say that I "used to have a bwain".  Honestly, I have not noticed any positive effects yet.  I am taking it for chronic pain and depression.

yetismommy
I was on topamax for 3 years for my migraines and seziures and I have not been on it for a while now due to the fact i lost my job and i no longer have insurance. It worked wonderful for me I am really suffering now I have migraines and seziures all the time because I can not afford the medication. I hope that everyone continues to be ok and I pray for everyones strenght and healing.
I have been on topamax for 4 months before topamax I was having a headache every freaking day since 2001 after having a nervous breakdown and depression. then i started with a headache every day. didnt have the money to go see no real doctor but in april they were getting so bad i had to do something as soon as i started topamax my headaches disappered of course  i really them disapper but the side effects was the tingling in my feet i couldnt drink anything with caffeine and barely could eat but i kept taking it so now 8/09/07 i literally had to stop taking it cause i couldnt function at work. it was like if i didnt sleep a total of 8 to 10hrs after taking topamax i felt like i was going to throw up and i fall out. So after losing 3days of work cause of the topamax in my system I just stop taking it. I need to go back to the doctor but what do yall think it could come from? and no i am not pregnant that is a diffently no.
First of all, Topomax (topamax) is a drug!!! Surprised? I knew you would be. It will change the way you feel and function DRAMATICALLY! You cannot expect it to work the day, week, or even month that you begin taking it, nor will it affect you in such a manner after just one day. As with any medication, your physician should have counseled you. It could take up to three months before you notice any positive changes. In most cases the side effects will subside or become less severe over time. Some of you mentioned “break-through” headaches/ migraines; or getting an occasional migraine here and there. Topomax (topamax) is meant to LESSEN THE FREQUENCY, not get rid of the migraines completely. If you are experiencing one less migraine a week than before, then it is technically working for you. Anyone who really suffers from migraines will agree that 4 a week would be better than 5. I experienced most of the same side effects that all of you listed here:  tingling in the hands, fingers, feet, and toes, combined with changing my birth control at the same time I started Topomax (topamax), the depression was a suicide cocktail, a severe lack of concentration (I actually failed my Psychology class), not to mention after driving to the same place for three weeks in a row, I still had to ask the other person in the car how to get there: DOPAMAX? I’d say so! Word recall was a nightmare, and I still have trouble with that one sometimes, and beer, oh how I miss my beer. Yes, carbonated beverages will taste absolutely horrible. I try them every now and then to see if it has subsided, no such luck! One good thing about that though is the calories I’m sparing, along with my loss of appetite. I know it’s highly recommended, but I didn’t even want to drink water most of the time, much less eat, but I did because you have to eat. That aspect has worn off a little. I crave fruit all the time. I drink a lot more water. But I have lost a total of about 20 pounds since I started Topomax (topamax) back in September of '06. Everyone thinks I have an eating disorder, and they say my face looks like that of a drug addict. I’m 5’5” and going from 150 to 128, is a big change. I was on Verapamil for a little over a year, and it just stopped working one day, I have no idea why. Then the doc put me on Elavil for my migraines, but didn’t tell me that it would actually increase my appetite, until I went back and asked him why I was putting peanut butter on the remote???? Just kidding. Of course I cannot speak for everyone because all of us react differently and the combination of meds you're taking will change the way you react specifically.  I can say for me Topomax (topamax) is GREAT! It is one of the only meds I know of that will “nearly” get rid of my migraines and once you give it some time to let it do it’s magic and let the side effects subside- I think you will all be very happy with the results, and maybe even lose a little weight. ;-)
My name is Kahlee, I'm 21 and I am currently taking Lamictal for Epilepsy.  I also suffer from depression and am taking Zoloft.  I have had a lot of trouble lately with my physical health (persistent infections and immune deficiency) - but have thought for some time that the Lamictal could be contributing to a consistent feeling of extreme lethargy, dizziness, headaches and light-headedness.  After talking to my psychiatrist today,  I am considering switching to Topomax (topamax), however I am concerned that this could worsen the side effects that I feel I am having with the Lamictal.  My neurologist is hesitant to change my medication, as upon initial diagnosis of the epilepsy, I tried 2 other medications (Tegratol and Epilim) - neither of which controlled the epilepsy.  I am really open to any advice from anyone at all!! Especially if they have been in a similar situation - but even if you haven't!  I am a mining engineer and I work 12 hour days (although I've been off work for 6 weeks with this recent bout of illnesses).  I am concerned about the loss in concentration - but I am not sure if I should let my apprehensions talk me out of a potential benefit in my quality of life.  Like I said - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Has anyone ever experience your skin being sensitive to the sun being on Topomax (topamax)?  I am on 100 mg for migraines and am beginning to get blotchy tans on my face.  I am also on Lamictal for seizures and Lexapro (10mg) for some current depression.  Thanks!
I'm new to this site and would like to get some feedback from people on Topamax.  I had been on Paxil for depression for 6+ years.  I gained quite a bit of weight during that time (I'm 5'9 and 235# and 63 years old)  (I also have diabetes and HBP which is related to the weight gain)  I recently weaned myself off Paxil over a 2 month period.   My depression is somewhat re-appearing.  Someone suggested St. John's Wort, but I have been reading that it interferes with the diabetes meds.   My doctor suggested Topamax as a way to counteract depression AND to lose some weight, which is important for my overall health.   I am hesitant to initiate yet another chemical into my system unless I know I can expect good results with minimal side effects.   Any words of wisdom?  

Bobach
I have been on topomax (topamax) for the past two weeks and have to say I almost gave up. I was suffering from more "light" headaches than before the meds but they seem to have gone away. I drink atleast 32 oz of water everyday no matter what. I haven't had any tingling I have experienced the soda taste just this past weekend I drink soda seldom so I thought I just happend to have an expired diet coke on my hands:) I have had the loss of appetite but I make myself eat a salad for dinner I am worried a bit about kidney stones and because my mother was a diabetic and died of heart faluire just three years ago I worry that it's in my future so I take several vitamins including a multi-complex vitamin B, garlic (twice a day) chromium 350mg, biotin and a diabetes vitamin packet as well as prozac for depression. I'm not sure how these all interchange with eachother but I have decided my only option for the daily headaches to go away is to give the topamax atleast 6 months time to work. My doctore also gave me a RX for Imitrex when migranes (migraines) come on and of course that works immediately. anyone else taking vitamins on a regular basis or prozac with topamax?
Bubblegirl123
I havent noticed any weighht loss, and I am on my second month... but I do love this pill. It has gotten rid of my headaches... all of them. However, I can not drink beer, or coffee, but I am willing to give those up, sometimes I just have to remind myself of how miserable I was with the headaches. Plus, I  can still drink Vodka and wine. I was never a big soda drinker. But I do like Topomax (topamax), it has done wonders for getting rid of my headaches. I take 100 mg/ day, 50mg in the morning, 50mg at night, but i try to take the night ones during dinner because if I take them too late, maybe past 8pm, I wont be able to sleep well.
Wow! Just reading these stories has told me more about the side effects than my research has(Topamax). I, too, have been taking Effexor since 2002. I have not have weight gain problems, but had major problems just getting on the stuff. Now that I am on it, I don't want to mess w/ it. Tried that with paxil after 11 years of taking. HORRIBLE Stuff! I just received my first prescription for Topamax today and I think you all have prepared me as much as possible. Thank you for all your comments as it will help me to be more prepared for whatever hitd. As for any one here going through rough times, I emapathize enormously from my experiences. As my mom always says,This too shall Pass." All I have to say is thank GOD for Medication! By the way, I was prescribed Topomax (topamax) as a mood stablizer on top of the Effexor and Welbutrin that I already take. I have severe Depression Disorder and hope that this medication can pull me out of this Rut!
As far as the young lady taking the Yasmin and Zoloft, the only increase risk for blood clots is from the Yasim and usually if you smoke or /and over the age of 35. Zoloft has no know side effects of blood clots or Topamax. I take this for anxiety as well. Any other comments are appreciated. Thank for the support.  amy  
I cannot relate to Epilepsy, however, Depression can also lead to some actual physical and medical issues(immune problems) I can say from experience, that if you feel like your depression might not be as undercontrol, maybe a change in ant-depresants might be something to look into. I am not sure of what illnesses you are going through and I am sorry to hear that. Zoloft is an older drug and a very mild one at that. There are new types of anti-depressants out their that also deal w/ chronic pain(more for diabetic neuropathy), but who knows what all else is out their. Also, It might be a good idea to jave your Thyroid levels taken as well as tests for anemia, I know a lot of these drugs are not good for people with Hypothyroidism and can also affect your blood-platelet levels, wich can also open you up to a more weaker immune system. I hope all works out for you. Best advise I can give is, no matter what Doctor you are seeing, you need to have a voice as well persistance! Best of luck. Keep us posted
Amy
As I was reading your comments and concerns for the issues, not to mention all the medication you are taking, a couple things came to mind. First of all, What other medical problems do you suffer from and what are you taking specifically for pain management? I am not familiar with the type of Brain surgery you under went, and empathize with your suffering. If you could let me know a little more(if there is more) about pain pills or a pain management type of program you are in. I Might have some great resources for you! I hope to hear from you again on in this chat /comment are. Hope you are at least on the right path to recovery. Hang in there. God Bless
Amy
Hi Amy.  Thanks heaps for your comments.   You sure sound like you know what your talking about!!  Are you in the medical profession, or have you just learnt a lot from your own experiences?  I am trying to start researching about my different problems a little more as I get older, because when you're younger I think that you just follow what the doctor and your parents say, whereas I'm now old enough to start questioning whether that course of treatment is in my best interests - by identifying the pros and cons etc... So if you have any resources particularly related to depression - I would really appreciate any assistance!!  I am seeing my psychiatrist, immunologist and neurologist all next week (should be a good week!!) - so hopefully I can discuss some of the points you mentioned with them and try to come up with some answers.  i hope that you are starting to feel better soon and are coming out of your rut... I definately know what that is like... A good friend of mine told me that I should always keep something that has truly happy memories attached to it - like a present from a best friend, or a photo of a loved one - on me at all times, so that when I start to get really down (I have suffered from suicidal thoughts and tendancies on numerous occasions) - I just look at that item and remember the happy memories that it holds... So I keep a photo of my GORGEOUS nephew with me at all times - he's 18 months and is my little star - I love  him to bits and could never let him down... I hope you're feeling better soon. And I'd love to keep in touch.  Thanks again!
hey bubblegirl,
i also take vitamins, minerals and supplements. i use pharmanex products....8 pills a days and gac juice...its an antioxidant. i work out and use protein powder 2-3 times a week. not sure how all this affects my topamax just yet as tonight is my 7th day on it. i started with 50 mg on days 1-3 and increased to 100mg from days 4-6. just started 150mg tonight, so we'll see how things go.hate the thought of being on more pills, but my migraines are debilitating!!!!!! i also take synthroid for hypothyroidism......
jenni
Thank you for your reply. It's strange that Doctors and even strangers ask if I am in the Medical proffession. I am in the "always seems to have some medical problem issue." I aspire to be a registered nurse and hope to return back to school soon. N E Way, since you are seeing a Psychiatrist and a Neurologist - both of them need to be aware of what each other is prescribing-better yet-what their treatment plan is going to be before they start you on anything. Since Psychiatrists are prescribing certain patients w/ anti-convulsants for Depression and/or anxiety problems. I myself have taken all kinds of anti-depressants and ant-anxiety medications for years. I do not suffer from manic depression which is more common in being prescibed Topomax (topamax). Gosh, when you say you have suffered from suicidals thought and tendencies, was that the reason for putting you on the Zoloft. Or ws that kind of like a side effect you had once you got on the zoloft? (Within the first 6 weeks?) I am asking because if this is recently- Topomax (topamax) is used as a mood stablizer. I think that it is a great idea to carry that precious picture around. And when I was reading your comments and some of the others here-my heart ached. I know that just by you replying made me feel better inside. I pray you have a well informed and good week w/ your Doctors. I hope you get the answers you need. Please keep me posted. By the way I would have never guessed that your only 21. It is amazing how someones fight for their own health can age a person in so many ways. That is a compliment. I just don't know if I said it the way I wanted it to come out. Keep your head up. Amy
Yeh - you seem to learn a lot about various medical conditions when you see a doctor often enough and get sick often enough hey!  It's a bit sad really... :-) I am in a similar - always seem to have some medical problem - issue, so I empathise with you!  And I'm sure you will be a great nurse when you get the opportunity to return to it.  My doctors/specialists are all in touch with each other and never prescribe anything without first checking it with the neurologist mainly - as the anti-epileptic is the most important of my drugs.  It's funny you mentioned that Topomax (topamax) can be used as a 'mood stabiliser' - because it was just the other day that my Psychiatrist was telling me that Lamictal is the first-stop anti-epileptic drug for people with a history of depression because it too is a mood stabiliser.  So perhaps it just doesn't have that effect on me.  I do not think I have manic depression/bipolar, as I don't think I've had a manic episode - but the psychiatrist said that manic episodes don't have to be characterised by really noticeable elevated highs - but can also be characterised by sleeplessness, insomnia, restlessness, increase in creativity, irritability etc... And I go through periods of Insomnia semi-regularly, so I guess we'll continue to work that one out.  (That's why you pay them the big bucks!!) - The lady I am seeing is great - I was a bit apprehensive about going to a Psychiatrist - for 2 reasons; 1 is because I have seen a psychologist in the past and she was really nasty and made me feel like I was an idiot for turning up and thinking that I had problems!  The other reason is that if you tell people you're seeing a Psychiatrist - I worry that they'll think I'm crazy!!  But I guess you really have to put all of that aside and look after yourself.  The suicidal thoughts have been ongoing (intermittently) for a number of years.  When I was 14 I started feeling really down - but thought it was probably a 'adolesence thing'.  When I was 16 I actually wrote suicide notes to my family and best friend - that's how close I was to the edge...and I cut myself a few times  -they were more like scratches (not very deep)...I didn't tell anyone about any of this - and it wasn't til I left school and started my first year of engineering that I decided to go to the doctor - and she immediately put me on anti-depressants.  I still get suicidal thoughts, but I can generally control them.  I hadn't done anything silly to myself since I was 16 until I was put on prednisone a few weeks ago for pneumonia, and after day 10 I had a pschotic reaction to the drug and had the worst suicidal thoughts I've ever had and cut myself fairly deeply on the forearm (not wrist) with a razor - I don't know what made me stop at that - but I'm glad I did.  So now I'm not allowed on Prednisone anymore! - A good move I think!!  Problem with that is that corticosteroids are likely a required treatment for severe allergies that I've just found out I have.  Apparently that's why I get so tired all of the time and so sick - because my immune system is spending all of its time fighting allergies that it has nothing left to give to general day-to-day care.  Unfortunately it's air-borne allergens that are causing the problem - and I work and live in the country where there are plenty of grasses and pollens - so elimination is not really an option!!  Anyhow - I will keep you posted with how I go!  Thanks for listening - it's really good to have someone to talk to who won't judge you and knows what you're going through and how you're feeling.  If I can help you with anything in anyway - let me know!  Which country do you live in by the way?  I'm in Australia. (Just thought I'd ask!) Hope you have a good few days and I'll be in touch!
I am absolutely speechless by your strength. I cannot fathom your list of medical issues and it makes me ashamed of myself for complaining of mine. I know that pity is the last thing you need or want, so I will just say this, you are obviously here for a reason beyond anything we can foresee. I am not sure if you are a spiritual or religious person, but I certainly get the feeling you are. You are going to get through all this. I just turned 30 and we (my husband and 2 boys-ages 3 and 5) just moved to Hawaii. My huband is Active Duty in the Air Force and finding a support system is difficult even under the best of circumstances. I will pray for you. And I will check this web site everyday. If you ever need to chat, just post a comment. GOD Bless. By the way- Australia has been the #1 place on earth I want to visit. Now even more so! And I thank you as well for listening too!
Amy
Thanks Amy!  And I would never underestimate the difficulties you are having.  I hate it when people act like their problems are so much worse than others - so I would never want to feel like I was doing that with you!  Each of us have our own struggles and our own abilities to deal (or not deal) with them.  I just hope that it can work out soon!  I had another episode Thursday night and cut my wrists with a razor - so I'm not in a very good way.  And to make matters worse, my idiot brother (30yrs old) asked my dad (who I'd told) why my wrist was bandaged in front of my mother - who I have worked so hard to keep it from - she can't handle stuff like that - esp the cutting - and he told the truth - I would never expect him to lie for me... Ainyway - it's just been a rough week.  I was back at work this week for the first one in 6 wks - and the actual work part was really good - it's a really great place to work!  It was just a few other things that triggered bad stuff.  But my gorgeous nephew is up here with me at the moment - so I can't wipe the smile off my face!!  I see all the doctors in only a few days - so I'll write another message after that!  Thanks heaps for your prayers - and be sure to know that you and your family are in mine also.  I hope you are doing well and we'll chat later!  Kahlee...
Thank you Kahlee. And of course you have not in any way acted in that way. It is the exact opposite. Kaylee, I wish I could take some of your suffering away from you, and to be that Doctor that firgures out the best medical treatment and having it be successful. Does your Psychiatrist know about the self-mutilation/and suicide attemps? Do you know what triggers you at that moment that you act to cut yourself. I know it is usually a way to get an overload of feelings out, and for some reason you feel better afterward. Or is it a way to punish yourself for some reason, I cannot imagine that, but would you recognize it if it were?Please tell me that you promise to call someone or go somewhere before you react buy cutting. I know what your going though. I cannot say enough how sorry I am for all your heart ache and troubles. I am very happy to hear you returned to work. It is another support system for you, and it is a way to keep your mind busy with something else. And your little nephew-I am grateful he is there w/ you. Your too sweet! I hope you hear from you soon. Take care of your self
amy  
My former neurologist never thought Topomax (topamax) would be a fit for me with the type of job I had, but I recently relocated to a new state and was referred to a new Neurologist.  This MD is not as fussy about the fit between lifestyle and drug side effects and put me on Topomax (topamax) to deal with Migraines about 2 weeks ago.  I am not up to full dosage yet (only at 50 mg & he is hoping to ramp me up to 200mg per day) & I am done with this junk.  The tingling, loss of memory, crappy taste of soda & beer & other side effects I can deal with. BUT I drive 30 miles each way to work & have had 3 near miss accidents since going on this stuff.  I told the MD what my commute was like - heavy traffic that required full attention & he said I should be able to get used to it.  Yesterday I nearly killed myself & other innocent drivers  because I forgot where I was & suddenly changed lanes for no reason without looking or signaling in bumper to bumper traffic.  It is lucky that others were paying attention for idiots like me.  I have driven for 37 years with out a single accident or traffic citation but the last 2 weeks have been pure hell.  I'm done with this drug.  It isn't safe for people who have to be out in the real world.  I have 3 to 5 severe migraines per week & it has done nothing to lessen them, I think it has actually made then worse.  After reading some of the posts. I don't care how great the drug is for weight loss, I'm no longer an employee that is with it & paying attention & can't afford to lose my job either because I am stoned out of my mind on something that really isn't helping the migraine situation at all.  I'd rather deal with the pain and be alert than be clueless and causing death and destruction because I am suffering from a drug induced memory loss.
Hey Amy,  I am not really sure what is going on in my head when it happens - if I did, I would stop, but I just don't know what it is that triggers it - one minute I'm happy as larry - and the next I'm in a world of trouble.  The psyhc only knows about the first one because I thought it was a reaction to Prednisone.  I will tell her tomorrow about this latest business.  But now that my whole family knows - things are a lot more complex...  Oh well!!  How are you going lately?  Anything exciting happening over your way?
How do you manage to drive any distance much less keep a job with 3-5 migraines per week?  Are they just bad headaches or true migraines with light and noise sensitivity, throbbing, nausea, etc?  When I get a migraine I can't do anything but lay in bed...and usually end up in the ER.
I am with Ranger1_75, I do not know how you can drive that distance with a migraine 3-5 times per week.  Been there done that, it didn't work.  Most if not all of the side effects go away with time, with the exception of being able to drink alcohol and soda
update....so since my entry on 8/20 i've experienced the tingling-not bad but its there. my appetite has returned nothing like it was but atleast now when i smell something i want to eat now:) I have not suffered from ANY headaches for over a week now I am now on 75mg daily taken at night (make me very sleepy) and there are nights I'll be wide awake for an hour or so but ususally i sleep pretty well. I honestly feel GREAT- mood and attitude has improved tremendously and have to say that I believe its the topamax. I don't think there has been any interactions with all of the vitamins that I take I feel as though I can start exercising again. I do still have minor complications with gas and occassional diarreah (diarrhea) (sorry I'm a horrible speller:) but I think I'm pretty happy with the pill. I don't see any reason to up the dosage. Good luck!!!!
Hey there, I am sorry I have not written lately. Kids have been an my last nerve. No, their great, just keep me on my toes.I am sorry things are so overwhelming. Did you go to you appt today. How did it go? Did you tell your Doctor everything???And were you completely honest??I want you to have my email address so that you can feel more comfortable sharing. If that is okay. And you do not have to share anything you are not comfortable talking about. I will never judge you or critisize. It it totally up to you. I would love to hear from you and am interested in how your Doctors appt went.
Take care of yourself
amy
***@****
Hi Everyone,
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for maybe a year, not quite sure. I am on 400mg a day. (200mg AM and 200mg PM). I have had daily headaches and migraines about 4 times a month since I was 11. I started off with pediatric neurologists. NOTHING. Years later went through another round of docs. NOTHING. More pills. nothing. Cat Scans, MRIs, etc. I have even tried physical therapy and exercises for my neck and back. That kind of helped but you really have to stick with it. I really just wanted to give up. My migraines were debilitating. I cant see, want to throw up, cant walk or talk, etc. The doctor I am with now first tried me on Verapamil which I hated. It didnt do anything for my headaches and it made my heart race and feel funny. The Topomax (topamax) gives me some side effects. I get tired in the afternoons, it comes on suddenly. I lost some wieght in the beginning but then again I started dieting around the same time also. I did have the "pins and needles" feeling in the beginning but that has stopped. My daily headaches are still here but they are as bad. I still have migraines but maybe only 1 a month. I might have 2 a month if it is a bad month. For my Migraines he prescribed me Relpax. It is an Emergency pill that I take ASAP. As soon as I feel the Migraine I pop the pill and about 45 minutes later it is gone. I have wasted 3 pills because I waited too long to take the Relpax. I think I will continue with what I am doing for now. Since I am at the MAX dose I will see how it goes for a while. Let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks
(I saw this blog on Topamax too, so I figured I'd asked my questions here too).
Hi!  I just started Topamax yesterday for migraines and weight loss. (Trying to kill two birds with one stone. ;-)  I tried the Nurontin (sp?) and it literally made me insane, so I am hoping the same doesn't happen with this.  I am in desperate need to lose the weight because I am in the military and I just had my third baby 12 weeks ago.  Needless to say, I have a good 80 pounds of excess from all three babes (gestational diabetes) that needs to go, soon and I only have about 9 months to do it, so hopefully I can.  Is there anyone on here that gained weight from taking Topamax?  I hope that doesn't happen to me, I would be so very upset!  Also, how long did you need to "fight it out" with getting use to the drug and all the side effects...3-4 weeks?
Has anyone experienced persistent nausea?
Oh and BTW - I have started Topamax for weight loss approximately 5 weeks ago. My appetite fluctuates, mostly non-existent. I have lost seven pounds. However I struggle daily with nausea. When I eat the nausea is alleviated for a while and then it comes back with a fury. I have to eat very small portions, which is not a bad thing, but the nausea is frustrating. On Monday of this week, I was diagnoised with hiatal hernia, which may play a part, I don't know. Just frustrated but I want to lose weight. I have not experienced any other side effects.
Well 2.5 days into the Land of Topamax and I woke up today for the first time with NO BACK PAIN!  I have been suffering with nerve pain in my back for 15 years and have been on every med, doc, physical thereapy, medicine man, you name it...nothing has worked.  I didn't even know Topamax would do that!  Has this happened to anyone else?  I have been crying in excitment all day.  Now, I don't have quite the loss of appetite I had hoped for but maybe it's supposed to take more time??  Migranes (migraines) are okay for the moment too.  I am however very moody...VERY moody, but I am trying to wait it out and take deep breaths, little things are really getting to me.  My patentence is about 0 at the moment.  How long until this goes away?  Moodiness and a little "medicine head" (space cadet) feeling is the only real downfall so far.  How is everyone else doing today?
I have suffered from migraines for about 14 years.  During the past year they have gotten more frequent so my doctor suggested Topomax (topamax).  Since my mother is on it (and about 3 other drugs didn't work for her) I decided to try it.  I knew about the weight loss side effect and was very excited about that part of it; I could lose about 15 lbs.  I started 2 weeks ago at 25mg/night.  Now I am at 50mg x 2/day.  I have noticed the tingling in my feet and hands but nothing else.  Soda and food taste fine, appetite is normal, no memory loss, etc.  When do these side effects start happening?  I'm eager for the weight loss “side effect” since I actually want this one to happen!!  I am extremely concerned about the memory problems...if this happens I will lower the dose.  What is the average time for most side effects to kick in with this drug?
Relpax is a wonderful drug if you take it on time...but extremely expensive!!!
So you commented that you went of all your BP medicine and are only taking your Topomax (topamax)?
Is that what you said it your post?
Thank you,
MC
Hi I have been reading everyones comments and I just wanted to say I too have suffered from Migraines now for 11 years.  I was diagnoised when I moved to San Diego with Migrains.  I was having them about 6 times a week sometimes they would run togeather and it seemed like they lasted for two weeks.  I have been on everything that has been mentioned up above and I have felt all the same symptoms. I think one of the hardest things is for the other family members who really don't understand what we are feeling because they have never expereinced it.  I am currently a topomax (topamax) user and I am on 300 mg  I lost in the beginning 19 lbs and I also started weight watchers and I have lost another 12 lbs  I only have 9 lbs left to lose.  I have been on topomax (topamax) now for 3 yrs.  I stopped loseing weight from it after 6 months of using it and every time they increase it I lose about 5 more lbs and then it levels out again.  I just love the fact that I don't live with a constant migrain anymore.  It has been a saving grace for me.
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for several months; I was previously taking 50mg a day then just recently bumped up to 100mg.  That is when the tingling side effect kicked in.  How long before this levels out?  I was considering going ahead and attempting jumping on up to 200mg a day to see if I could rise above the tingling...do you think that may be a option?  I have currently lost 5 pounds in the past couple of weeks.  Headaches have been pretty well under control!  But the comatose period that I underwent when I first started the 100 mg dose was nothing that I expected and even moreso a shocker for my husband!!!  I was falling asleep every time I got still.
yes I went off of all of that stuff in the winter and early sping of 06.Now I only take topamax for migrains and estrace.
HELLO, I'M STARTING TOPOMAX (topamax) FOR BACK PAIN AND NERVE PROBLEMS
IN LOWER BACK. I'M NERVEOUS ABOUT THE MEMORY LOSS, I'M 48 AND I ALREADY HAVE A MEMORY PROBLEM BECAUSE OF MENAPAUSE. I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE TINGLING  IN MY HANDS AND FEET EITHER, THE POSITIVE IS THE WEIGHT LOSS, I DO NEED TO LOSE THE WEIGHT. PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND, I'M READING EVERYONES COMMENTS, AND NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED. I KNOW IT WORKS DIFFERENT FOR EVERONE, BUT I'M READING ALOT OF NEGATIVE NOT POSITIVE. THIS IS A HARD DECISION FOR ME, PLEASE GIVE ME INFO. IF ANYONE SUFFERS FROM LOWER BACK AND NERVE PAIN, I'D APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH, I NEED TO MAKE UP MY MIND ABOUT STARTING THIS MEDICATION. I'M TRYING TO AVOID A 3RD BACK SURGERY, SO I'M HAVING NERVE BLOCKS AND NOW MY DR.WANTS ME ON TOPOMAX (topamax).
I have read medical journal columns and reports that Topomax (topamax) is only approved in the U.S. for migraine prevention.  It was pulled from the clinical trials for weight loss because almost all the patients quit taking the medicine because of the side effects (tingling, sleepiness, cognitive functions, etc.).  The FDA has no control over what a doctor prescribes a specific drug for; they can only recommend what its intended use is.  That being said, I read absolutely nothing about using Topomax (topamax) as a drug therapy treatment for back pain until visiting this forum.  People here say it works.  I have back pain but use another Rx and my doctor never mentioned Topomax (topamax); another doctor prescribed Topomax (topamax) for migraines 2 weeks ago and it has not made a difference in my back pain so far.  As far as the side effects go...only you can make the choice as to whether or not the benefits out weigh the risks and side effects.  If it gets too bothersome you can always stop.
I'm new to the forum....I'm on my second go-round with Topamax, but trying to get off.  I lost weight the first time but not this time.  It helps me with the horrible insomnia I've had for many years, and the tingling has long since worn off, but the side effects have become too much for me.  I am so tired all the time, and the memory loss and confusion have really become major problems for me.  Some days I am so out of it, I simply cannot leave the house because I can't drive or function beyond sitting on the couch.  There's no way I could hold a job.  I think my vision is being impacted, especially at night, and now, my mood as well.  I am having episodes of depression that I suspect are attributed to the Topamax, and I've also had one major kidney stone that I think must have been related to it as well.  Enough is enough.  I am weaning off of my 400mg a day dosage now, especially since it did not help with weight loss on this second course (I was off of it for about 6 months, lost about 50 pounds the first time).  I am interested to see just how much my appetite will increase when I go off the drug, but it's just not worth it to stay on it, especially since I do not have health insurance and it costs $365 per month for this stuff!

I have an appointment next week to get tested (with new health insurance, thank goodness) and see what my options are.  I have many issues--insomnia, restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, and I don't know if my depression will improve once I'm off the topamax.  I also have some hormonal problems that are out of whack due to a total hysterectomy a few years ago...so I'm a mess.  It's so difficult to treat when there are so many things wrong.  I have had difficult personal circumstances that have likely impacted my emotions and while I have gone to therapy, it's hard to shake feelings of despair that I somehow feel are tied to the drug.

Just wanted to share my experience in case they might be helpful to anyone out there who is going through the same thing....didn't want to scare anyone off, though...everyone's body is different and meds can be so therapeutic for the right application!  Just make sure you and your doctor are thoroughly educated, and listen to your body.  I feel I have been on this stuff way too long, and I hope I haven't done damage that is beyond repair.
I went back on Topmax after the birth of my son.  I have been on it now for about a year and have not lost any weight.  I am on it for my headaches.  It was a bonus that I had lost weight before.  Has anyone been on Topmax and not lost any weight?  Thanks
Hi,  I just started on Topamax today.  My neurologist prescribed it for my migraines which, like most of you, I've suffered from for more than ten years.  When he told me that it could get rid of my migraines I was ecstatic.  When he mentioned that one of the main side effects was weight loss I nearly kissed him.  But, after reading this forum I'm almost scared to take it.  One of the main reasons I went to get more help with my migraines was because I want to advance at work and my frequent absences due to headaches were hindering my ability to get promotions.  It sounds like a lot of you have had cognitive problems and lethargy.   Do these symptoms fade with time?  Are most of you happy with the balance of relief vs symptoms?
I'm back with an update....still on topamax. Experienced a few migraines just recently over the weekend including waking up with one but two instead of daily is great with me. I just take an immitrex and after an hour or so they seemed to go away. My appetite has seem to returned to normal. Did not lose any weight unless I weighed more than I do now, which is a good possibility I was SO depressed and had migraines everyday that I really didn't pay attention to my weight. I of course like most people am not happy about this because it seems to be one of the good side effects of the medication but whatever:(
I really want others to know that I was very scared and had my doubts about taking this med for the first couple of weeks that I had the RX-I held onto it and did some research first and thought I really have nothing to lose by trying it even if just for 6 months-It seems to be different for everyone and you really won't know until you try it for yourself. I can say its been positive for me! But I think you have to do what your own instinct tells you. do what you feel comfortable trying. I know its expensive but NO ONE should live with headaches we all deserve to be happy and free from pain.
I want to say that the med has actually helped me more than not in many ways than what most people have posted here-I don't feel the memory loss or the blonde moments I feel confident and very secure at work and some days feel great with my work (human resources) I have been in great moods being happy with my children and spouse and able to spend quality time with them where before because of the headaches hid away in my bedroom most evenings so that I wouldn't snap at them. I really am happy that I gave it a try-and even if you do experience side effects hopefully they will wear off (if your lucky except the weight loss:) and feel great again!!
I started taking Topomax (topamax) 3 weeks ago for migraines and weight loss.  I started taking Lexapro in April '07 for anxiety/depression which worked great, but made me put on 20 lbs. I always had migraines, but only about 1/month.  My doctor switched me to Prozac for the depression, then my migraines were coming 2-3 per week.  I switched back to Lexapro and started the Topomax (topamax).  I am up to 75 mg, 25 in the am and 50 at night.  No tingling, no weight loss, only soft drinks taste bad.  Migraines are nonexistant!  I seem to be bloated, and gassy and hungry!  I think that's from the Lexapro, but I am afraid to stop taking it because I don't want to lose the benefits....any suggestions?  Mom has been taking Topomax (topamax) and she has lost mega weight and has cured her migraines completely!  She says give it time, but I dont want to gain anymore weight!
I recently just started taking Topomax (topamax) because while I was 5 months pregnant I had 2 seisures of some sort.  I also had some kind of muscle spasms which the doctor wasnt sure what they were.  So, now that I have had my daughter who is now 9 weeks old, the neurologist has put me on Topomax (topamax) which I have been on for 4 weeks now.  I have dealt with the tingling in my hands and feet and still dealing with those, and the spasms in my lower back are gone.  My headaches seem like they are also leaving me. I'm not sure where I am going from here, but it is very nice to know that something like this is out there to be able to ask questions and read what other people are going through. Thank you!
Hey, Sorry to debate you but I am currently in a drug study that is studying a combination of topamax/phentermine in a double blind study.  I do not know if I am getting the combo drug or not but I can tell you that the study is indeed still being done for diabetics for weight loss and has not been pulled from clinical trials in San Diego.  Thanks.  Gmabot
I just found this board today.  I have been taking 200 mg of Topomax (topamax) a day for a month now (I built up to it).  After 25 years of migraine hell they are completely gone. The higher dose of Topomax (topamax) was my idea to try with Effexor, Lorazepan, and Elavil for my seven year long depression that won't budge.  I had tried Topomax (topamax) at lower doses for migraines before with no success.  I am lucky and have no problems with tingling  hands or feet.  Sodas, coffee, etc all still taste fine.  My main problem is word recall.  I do not like to sound like the village idiot.  I am still not sure about the weight loss.  I hope all of you with your migraines and depression find answers. People don't understand what a hell it can be unless they live through them.
I just started taking topomax (topamax) yesterday for migraines. My major concern right now is all the other meds im taking. Is there a website where you can list all the drugs you're taking and it tell you if its ok? One that is accurate? Ive found some that didnt warn me about taking SSRI's with phentermine. My pharmacist noticed when prescribed lexapro that i shouldnt take it while on the diet pills.
Im a 27 yr old single mom of a very active 5 & 7 yr old. Im a social worker but doing marketing for hospice and sales is very stressful. Not to mention Im very ocd, very analytical by nature....
So my problem is I have had a recent weight gain of about 15-20 lbs in the past few months which appears to be mostly water. Its all in my midsection (like I have a flotation device around my waist) and in my upper arms. I was put on elavil years ago for my headaches and that combined with the depo provera birth control and zoloft who knows what has caused it although i have taken all of those drugs in the past with no problems.
I had blood work done and there were no problems. My blood pressure was a little high so doc put me on maxzide (diuretic) and ive been taken it one month today and have actually managed to gain 3 lbs! Doc says its all stress related......prescribing phentermine (i lost 20 lbs on it last year for three months) and lexapro for depression. After realizing it wasnt a good combination (something about the phentermine intensifying the effect of the SSRI) i asked him to change the anti depressant to buspar. He called me in buspar and cymbalta (which i had never heard of but have learned its supposedly the only antidepressant with no weight gain side effects?) soooooooooo......headaches still an issue........neuro puts me on topomax (topamax) yesterday and tells me to wean off the buspar i dont need both that and cymbalta and shouldnt need the maxzide anymore either. The phentermine has helped with my appetite of course this time around but unfortunately DOES nothing for my energy levels as before i guess because im so doped up oh and I have to take ambien to sleep now vs the elavil due to the weight thing.
So to sum it all up
Im taking
Depo Provera
Phentermine
Cymbalta
Buspar (half a pill for a few more days)
Topomax (topamax)
Ambien
Any thoughts???
Hello... I am new to this sight and pretty new to topamax. So far so good. I am having alot of side effects, I mean ALOT, but the good really makes the bad easier to handle. I take it for nerve pain, that before I started , would leave me crying on the floor in the fetal position. Now they have gotten a bit better, not as noticable. Somthing I didnt expect it to help was my bipolar and anxiety which I havent been on any meds for since I had to stop taking my effexor, cold turkey ( which was evil) effexor is horrible, atleast for me it was. It never really worked and when I had to stop taking it becuase I couldnt afford to pay for it out of pocket any more, I went through withdrawls like a junky.  Well since that all happened I have been on a constant defense, surer high anxiety.... I was starting to feel crazy again, Like the mom who always yelled, and then I would feel horrible right after the yell left my mouth. But since taking the topamax I have actaully been the fun mom again. A little more sleepy than normal but I would much rather be the mom that is a little sleepy then the mom who is always grumpy. The only side effects that are really driving my crazy and the sever tingleing in my feet... its starting to get so bad that it isnt just annoying any more, it actually hurts now. Thank goodness it only lasts for a few minutes. I dont notice any memory loss. Or loss of concentration, becuase I already had that so severly before I started taking the meds. Though I did notice the lack of sex drive... thats always a bumber. Does anyone eles feel like there tognue is numb or like they need to brush it ( and yes i have brushed it like 5 times today.. hehe) At how many MG did everyone start loosing weight? Cause I really havent started loosing any. Kinda bumbed about that. Oh by the way I am Amber.. Have a great night everyone.
I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for 7 years for migraine prevention. I actually started to take this before it was aproved for Migraines and it was a miracle drug for me.  I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 8 yrs agao and after recovery from that I returned to migraines and my neurologist started me on Topomax (topamax) 50 mg a day.  I now go to well known Headache Center in Philadelphia and I am taking 300 mg of  Topomax (topamax) a day. 100 in the a.m. and 200 in the p.m.  The weight loss was about 30 lbs for me in the beginning which was not good for me since I was so thin from three months in the hospital and the long recovery from the aneurysm but now I would love to have that back!!!  The tingling in the hands was in the beginning also and I get that once in a while but a bananna or a potassium pill stops that fairly quick.  Memory loss is a problem at times but Magnessium and also B2 in the AM and PM does wonders.  So as you can see all the side effects can be dealt with much easier than having migraines rule your life!  I suggest that if your Doctor who is prescribing your topomax (topamax) is not suggesting these ideas to you to take away the side effects you may want to consider finding new doctors who know more about the drugs and theie side effects and how to deal with them. The side effects are not reason enough for me ever to stop taking topomax (topamax) and go back to the way of life I had while getting migraines and staying in bed all day thinking my heasd was going to explode and not being able to have any light shine on my face!!!  Water is very important while taking topomax (topamax) due to the fact that kidney stones will form while you are taking this drug but again we all can use extra water right?  The banana for the tingling is the best advise I got from my doctors and it works fast so good luck to all the migraine free  people out there!!!!
In June 07, I was prescribed Topomax (topamax) for migraines, which were reoccurring everyday. When I first started taking it, I felt some side effects such as, nasuea, hand and facial tingling, eye twitching, and weight loss (I have lost 27 lbs to date). And yes, it is really expensive since my health insurance does not cover it. While on Topomax (topamax), it did in fact take away ALL of my migraines and neck/shoulder pain that was associated with the headaches. In early-August, my Dr. did have me undergo a MRI of the brain, which was completely clear (thank god), but my Dr. also wanted to increase my dosage, he wanted me to take 200 mg in the am and 200 mg in the pm. This had me worried b/c the only prescription medication I have only taken on a daily basis was birth control pills (which BTW does lower their effectiveness - so be careful!!). So this then had me decide to conduct a little experiment....I stopped taking the Topomax (topamax) all together. To date, I am happy to report that I don't get migraines any longer but I truly attribute that to walking 5+ miles everyday (I am now in this excerise routine, if I miss a day working out I feel really guilty), and I have my daily 3 shot Starbucks latte out, eat even more healthy than I already did but by incorpotating more fruits and veggies, and I am still loosing weight!! Since off Topomax (topamax), I have gotten only very slight headaches, nothing a few aspirins won't cure, but I think this is partly b/c of looking at a computer screen all day or possibly b/c I need to update my contact prescription?? Would I go on it again....yes, if I started getting the debilitating migraines again. But so far that has NOT happened. I have always been really leary on taking meds. everyday without knowing any of the long term effects on my body. But workout now daily and eating healthy has just completely increased my overall mental attitute and has given me a much morepositive spirit!! However, to everyone taking Topomax (topamax), I wish you all the very best and  all the health and happiness :)
well today was my birthday and i spent it in bed sick inthe wonderful world of migraine so tonight for my birthday i will be taking my first dose of topomax (topamax). i have read so many of all of your postings and im so scared but being in pain and sick for days isnt working for me so i wish all of you great luck and pray this is the life saver ive been told it is
Just started taking Topomax (topamax) for migraines and almost daily regular headaches.  I also take 10 mg per day of amytriptylene (sp?).  Started at 25 mg once a day for a week.  Over the next 4 weeks I have to increase by 25 mg until I'm up to 100 mg per day.  I've been reading all of these postings and have found them to be very helpful, especially about drinking a lot of water.  I haven't experienced any side effects yet -- tingling seems to be the most common.  I have to say, though, that the hair loss really scares me.  Is it worth taking this, or is it better just to deal with the headaches and take pain killers when the headaches get too bad?  I hate drug side effects.  Also, I do like wine, and it seems like alcohol is a real no-no with this.  Any comments?
Happy birthday -- hope your day after wasn't spent with a migraine hangover -- the hangover can be as bad as the headache!!
i was worried about the hairloss, too. ive been on topomax (topamax) for about three months now. i take 200 mg a day. i havent experienced any major hairloss. i already told my best friend a few months ago to remind me that if and when i do that it is a vanity issue.....and to remind me that the migraines and dialy headaches were so much worse than any amount of hairloss could ever be. and that i can buy a wig! she reminded me that i dont have insurance and for the price im paying for these darn pills i wont be able to afford a nice wig!!!!!!!! lol and about the wine........i, too, enjoy drinking a glass of wine every now and then. i still do here and there. i dont have the same desire that i use to, but i havent been completely turned off. since i have been on topomax (topamax) though, i havent gone out and had more than a glass or two at a time. good luck to ya!!!!!!!!
I stopped taking Topomax (topamax) in August.... if I start taking it again, will I have the same side effects both good (weight loss) and bad (tingling, slow thought process).  Please help...
have any of you noticed hair loss
YES ! I have been on it for 1 year and 10 months.My hair loss started after around 7 mounths of being on it .  
has the hair loss subsided?  or have you noticed it to be continuous.  I have now been on it for one year.  I had myself checked for thyroid problems not thinking it had anything to do with the medication.  I have noticed recently alot of hair loss.  I had switched medication a year ago for the same reason the one i had been on for 12 years had that side affect.  Apparently the doctor didnt know this one has it too?  any suggestions to help the hair loss,   does it evenutally go away?  Or am I going to go bald by 50 =) for a woman =(  
I had my thyroid checked ,it was ok. I'm scared I'll be bald by the age of 34.I do not want the migraines back though.I take Biotin every day and zinc.It has not help any.the hair loss is the same.
My neuro prescribed topomax (topamax) for my everyday headaches as well as for my migraines.  So far (and I'm knocking on wood like crazy!!!) no migraines -- and there have been a couple of days that definitely would have been migraine days.  My everyday headaches are brought on by changes in weather.  Any comments on whether or not the topomax (topamax) is successful in stopping those headaches?  I was pretty much living on fiorinal and fiorinal with codeine for the weather-related headaches.  Whenever it's GONNA rain, my head feels like it's going to explode.  So far (75 mgs a day), the topomax (topamax) has had no affect on preventing my rain headaches -- AND NO WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm bummed!!  And, worst of all, I seem to have lost my taste for wine!
The weight loss will come in time.  You will notice it will come off slowly and that is the way you want it to come off.  It basicially suppressed the appetite and you tend to not eat as much.  I have been on it a year and in a year have notice a 10 pd decrease in a years time.  I am happy that is has come off slowly because they say quickly it will go right back on.  My worst concern is the hair loss. Trying to find vitamins that could help with this.
Well, I've read all your comments over and over.  I started on 25 mg and was supposed to increase to 100 over a period of 4 weeks.  After being on 75 mg. (50 mg at night and 25 in the morning), I had to call my dr.  I had to go home every day after work and take a nap, and my brain was feeling very "dull and fuzzy".  No headaches, though!  But I couldn't deal with the constant fatigue.  It was really interfering with my life.  So he had me cut out the 25 mg. in the morning.  Now I'm taking 50 mg. a day, and that I think might be ok.  I can't imagine how some of you are taking more than that -- and some of you are taking more than 200 mg. a day!!!  Migraines are the absolute worst thing in the world.  I swear that we must have done something horrible in a previous life to have gotten the migraine curse.  And people who think migraines are just bad headaches are so clueless!!!!  So to those of you who HAVE to live with the constant fatigue and "dull and fuzzy" feeling that Topomax (topamax) gives you just to make it through the day without a headache or, worse yet, without a migraine, my heart goes out to you.
I've been on Wellbutrin for depression for a Looooong time. Past couple of years really felt bad, weeping all the time, very stressed, single mom, struggling with business, debt up the kazoo, hardly any inclome, blah, blah.  My new Dr. added Topomax (topamax) to the mix and my overweight frame went down almost two sizes.  I just got on the scale for the first time in years.  So,  I probably lost close to 15-20 lbs between June and now.  But I'm only 5'0" . and now a size 6-8.  I'm not sure about the med mix.  Love the weight loss, however, I think sometimes I'm becomeing a screaming, crazy mother.  Not sure if I'm just over worked and over tired, and doing a 4 person job (elderly parents, etc) or if the meds have something to do with it.  Have not experienced tingling.  Migraines may have subsided a bit.  I do feel much anxiety and heart palpitations and like I'm jsut about ready to blow.  300mg wellbutrin, 25 mg. Topomax (topamax) - afraid to add more Topomax (topamax) as recommended.
Seems like an over whelming majority of Topamax users are female is this because Migraines are more common in girls? Any way I have had a constant headache for about a year and a half. With Nausua that comes and goes the headace is kind a dizziness but not where I lose my balance, almost like I haven't slept in a few days. I am miserable. I am being treated for sleep apnea but that hasn't helped(cpap machine). I have been prescribed 100mg of topamax at night and I am supossed to add another 100mg pill in the mornings after a week. I am large person. I weigh over 300lbs now but when I played football I and had zero fat I was about 240 so I assume this is why my dose seems to be alot more than most on this board. I took my first dose last night and had a beer about an hour later. OMG! disgusting, what am I going to do without beer. Anyway I hope this drug finally works. I have been dragging myself through work days and coming home and sitting on the couch and eating when not nausous, this is why I am so heavy. I am praying this drug can get rid of my headaches. Without the head aches I think I will lose weight on my own, but the added side effect of weight loss may be good as well.

Has anyone else had constant headaches like this, and has topamax helped?. By constantant I mean 100% of the time. If I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the head ache is there. First thing in the morning, all day, all night. I have even had dreams where I am dizzy in the dream. No escape.
Help
HI’m 42yrs old, have been suffering  from Migraines for years, which have gotten more severer and often in the past couple of years. I was on Wellbrutrin for about two years due to a traumatic event that had occurred in my life I stopped taking it about 6 mths ago by choice.  I’ve been taking Topiramate for 5 weeks now….1 -  25mg tab. @ bedtime, then increased by  1- 25mg  tab per week up to 100mg. A couple of Question I hope you will be able to answer….
1-  is Topiramate the same product as Topomax (topamax)?
2- I have not lost a single ounce, will I lose  any weight at all at this dosage?
The week I started the 100mg, I was so tired, irritable and my mind was in a horrible fog, like nothing I have experienced before. Almost a confused state of mind, . Also felt a mild, yet unsettling feeling of depression setting in. I became so concerned I dropped down to 75 mg.
3 – If I stayed on the 100 mg would the above feeling have subsided? I still have the above feeling not as severe on the 75 mg, I still hopping that it will completely go away, will it?
- will I see any weight lose on 75 mg a day?
- Is there anything herbal/vitamin/ prescription that you suggest I take to assists with the/ irritability, tiredness, depression, weightless
- The good news, I have not had a single Migraine not even  headache of any kind.
- Hope someone can help me with this or offer me some advise. It’s takes a long time to get an appointment with my Dr. to go over these questions. The irritability and Depression are very concerning, I’ve read a lot of people writings on the use of this drug but I’m not sure if that Depression is just going away after awhile or if they are supplementing the drug with another prescription. I would like to know whats the options are so I can discuss my options with my Dr. Thanks  
I started Topamax Saturday night 25mg.  I had the worse experience of my life I was delerious, could not feel my arms and stopped breathing 3 times!! Has this happened to anyone before.  I am waiting for a call from my Doctor. Needless to say I stopped taking it.
I am 22 and I have had chronic migraines since I was 15.  I have never really known what is was like to enjoy high scholl, or even college, because I was home with a migraine at least 5 days a week.  I am now in my first year of grad school and really having a hard time with the course load and the constant headaches.  I just started on topamax about two weeks ago and am up to 50mg every nite.  I am experiencing the tingling in my fingers but I am also extremely nauseous in the mornings.  has anyone else had this side effect? (its not morning sickness)  I am nervous about being so young and having to turn to a drug to manage my migraines.  some of the side effects i read about above like the memory problems and the hair loss really scare me and make me want to avoid staying on this medication.  Everyone seems to have a different experience, some positive and some negative, but my headaches have yet to decrease.  I have also noticed that my mood has become more depressed lately, i am just feeling really discouraged when I was was really looking forward to enjoying life the way the lucky one's who don't suffer from migraines get to.
Anyone advice or words of encouragement? it would be greatly appreciated!
I read a lot comments about Topomax (topamax) and I have a friend who is taking it for weight loss--my question is there any bad side effects if you don't have a migraine problem but you are given it for weight loss?  What happens when you come off of it?  Can you take it for just a little while for weight loss and be okay or will you gain the weight back?  If anyone knows the answer to any of these just let me know.  Thanks a ton!
I had no idea what topomax (topamax) even was until i  just searched it on the computer.   I was at the  dr.s office today (plastic surgeon) and there was a woman there for  carpal tunnel.  she was discussing another dr. she had been to for her carpal tunnel and told me that he had been mean to her about her weight and put her on topomax (topamax).  this was some kind of specialist you would see for a wrist disorder.  anyway she said she had lost 35 pounds in two months and i said how much do you take  and she said  1600 miligrams aday.  divided into four doses.  I didnt know what the medicine was, but that sounded like alot,  i asked her was that what he prescribed  and she said yes.    the dr. told her that if she didnt lose a certain amount of weight by jan.  he was going to dismiss her as a patient.   she said he told her not to eat anything.   she was very upset.    after reading this im wondering isnt 1600 miligrams a day going to kill her.  should i try to find her and warn her to read about it.   thanks if anyone can help/
are you sure she said 1600 mg ? that sounds like alote.
My name is Rebekah. I am 20 years old. My dad died of cancer in 2001, unexpectedly on my 12th Birthday. I have been on anti depressant meds since then, forcefully. Now I cannot function without them. After a horrible experience with zoloft, i was left with side effects that included 50 pound weight gain, insomnia, and terrible anxiety attacks. This is when I was introduced to Effexor XR, Trazadone, Adderall (adderrall), and Topomax (topamax). For 5 years I consistently took them, I lost 60 pounds in 4 months...and  I can't remember a happier time in my life then those 3 years. It subsided some, but I had stopped taking most of them on a daily basis.. along with the usual teen angst- the world can be cruel when your 18 and have NO idea who you are, because pills define you. Since then, I've gained 80 pounds back. I have tried to stop taking the medicines, but I get so physically sick from the withdrawal, even in small doses, that normal daily routines are impossible. It has taken me 2 years to grow from this- I guess my point from all of this- is that while the weight loss is a positive side effect, don't steer away from why you are taking them in the first place. Its hell, i know on a personal level; and to any parents out there, be extremely aware of what Doctors prescribe your child medicine. Seek several opinions, and ask yourself... do the side effects trump the treatment? As far as all the side effects I have read so far.. Hair loss, pins and needles, are normal, its all personal tolerance. :)
I started taking Topamax when I was a senior in high school (2005). My migraines were incredibly bad when I first started after 3 years of being on the medicine my migraines finally subsided. I never had any of the side effects, I had always been a small person, 5'1" and about 110 lbs. At the beginning of the summer, I was taken off of Topamax, Over the course of the summer (3.5 months) I gained 35 lbs. My doctor told me that it must have been some physiological effect, but test after test revealed nothing. I've tried exercise and diets and nothing is helping. Is it possible that going off the Topamax made me gain the weight and should I go back on it?
Hi - I just read your 10/29 post...i hope you're doing better and better.  I too take both Wellbutrin (300mg) & Topamax (100 mg per day).  I do just fine on both meds.  If you read too much here, or any place else, it WILL frighten you to death...as far as side effects.  You just have to decide which is worse...being incapacitated for days & weeks on end with migraines - or having some side effects from this medication.  They do subside, with time!  I've been on Topamax for about 3.5 years now. And I hardly notice much of anything.
Truthfully, none of these medications are going to make any of us feel perfectly normal & completely healthy anyway.  Only God can do that.
blessings
Your background and prescribed dosage of Topomax (topamax) sounds very similar to mine.  I am only on day 1 of this drug and had hoped to be able to work through any side effects during the Xmas break. Naturally, there is nothing to speak of as yet other than some wild dreams last night.  You spoke of Fiornal w/codeine.  I have experienced migraines for 30 years now (since an early teen).  Fiornal has been the only drug which has allowed me to manage it and I am so tired of this drug an ensuring I am managing it and it not managing me. The imitrex family of drugs cause crazy side effects so as the frequency of the migraines have increased, I relented and decided to try this.  I am also going to try botox injections in the near future.  I have been started with 25 mg for 7 nights then 25 mg for 7 days then to 50 mg (25 am then pm).

To others I would ask too - how soon do the side effects start and how long to work them thru.  I realize everybody is different.   I am concerned about the cognitive stuff as I have to be on my game for my job however I wonder if it can be any worse than some of the fiornal fog that occurred at times.

I began topomax (topamax) over a year ago, and there was an adjustment period.  At first, I really believe I did get more frequent headaches; however, they were the dull, nagging kind that didn't impair me to the point of being bedridden.  As time went on, I had occasional headaches that were much less frequent and much less severe.  When topomax (topamax) is paired with a healthy lifestyle, I never get headaches anymore.  However, the "pins and needles" feeling in my hands and feet will still trigger if in the same position for an extended amount of time.  The other issue I believe I am more conscientious about than anyone else is that of vocabulary recall.  I feel  I used to be much sharper in that area, but I find myself hesitate or search for words I use to use.  It's not constantly, but in certain situations, I am aware of it.
Thank you for all of your comments as I begin to see if this drug will work for me. Especially the comments on how pop will taste and the advice to drink a lot of water with lemon for kidney stones.  As well as which side effects to watch for.    

I do like to enjoy a glass of wine now and again and I am wondering what the effect is with alcohol - what has happened to folks.  I wouldn't want to have to give it up entirely but if the migraines are reduced it wouldn't be a huge sacrifice.  

Also - a few of you have mentioned that you can't hae caffeine and I was wondering why that would be.  Cutting out caffeine is not a bad thing either and I had planned to move back to decaf products anyway but I am curious what happens.   Thank you and please keep posting.   Your experiences are very valuable.
I've been on 200 mgs. of Topomax (topamax), along with 450 mgs. of Wellbutrin, and 250 mgs. of Lamictal for awhile.  I could not live without Topomax (topamax).  I just got it increased to 300 mgs.  I have lost a lot of weight on it, which is okay, but I need to maintain where I'm at now.  I have no side effects of food tasting bad, being tired all the time, bad moods, etc.  I was put on it to help stabilize my mood along with the Lamictal and it has helped significantly.  I actually have a small appetite again because I am feeling better.

Yes, I am very tiny and people who know me think I have an eating disorder, I don't, but I also would not tote Topomax (topamax) as a weight loss drug.  It has many other benefits to it which should be considered long before weight loss.
My daughter in law just started on Topomax (topamax) for Migranes (migraines).  She was told she had heart problems but after testing was dignosed with complex migranes (migraines). she has no symptoms other then feeling giddy and has lost four pounds because of no appetite in 6 days.

I suffer from PMS migranes (migraines) and was wondering if I should talk with my doctor about this treatment.  I also have about 40 lbs to use. although I'm not thrilled about the side affects. I eat when I'm sad, happy etc. I lost 90 lbs 7 years ago and have begun to put it back on.

I do drink wine in the evenings and can not find anything about side effects. How about anyone else?

I to experiece brain fog at times and i'm not on any meds at this time, only blood pressure med.  I also have been taking magnesium oxide 400 mg for several years as maintance for my mygraines.  think it helps some.

Any comments will be welcomed

thank you
Debbie
Instead of Topomax (topamax), the doctor had me go the Imitrex route.  I can take one of those and within 30 minutes it'll be gone.
Our son had actual seizures and was on everything under the sun, including Topomax (topamax) (the worst one was Zonegran... the word "zone" is in there for a reason).  His memory was horrible on Topomax (topamax) as well as losing weight.  I've read some on this website and on others were actually taking Topomax (topamax) to lose weight.  My heart aches for them!  The side effects are so horrible... there are so many natural things out there like b12 with lipotropics (both vitamins and amino acids our body's need) and simply cutting calories.  I've read where some girls are using their brother's seizure meds so they can lose some extra pounds... I'm in shock about it.  As a mother of a child who had to deal with the Topomax (topamax), like so many of you are well aware of the effects, I can't imagine "wanting" to take it.
God bless all of you who are on it... may your migraines and whatever you're taking it for quickly subside so you can enjoy a pain-free life.
Big ((((( hugs))))) to all of you!!
I was prescribed Topamax today for peripheral neuropathy in my feet.  I am currently on Neurontin, Cymbalta and Tramadol for this.  After reading these posts, I'm scared to death.  I'm a nurse, and can't afford to be "foggy", and I also drive 25 miles to work.  Has anybody else been prescribed this med for neuropathy?  Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.  The best to everybody!
I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for years and it has literally ruined my life!!!
It all started with just forgetting words when I was speaking to severe memory loss, severe fatigue, numbness and tingling in feet and now i am sort of at time leaving my feet behind sometimes when i walk. I began taking it for seizures along with another drug trileptal and they work to keep my seizures away. I have epilepsy and i have not had a seizure for 8 mos which is something for someone who has that condition which is why my doctor says that i should continue taking it. I am trying to continue to work but i fall asleep while i'm talking to clients, i try to make jokes when i ask my kids how old they are but most times i really don't remember!! As far as weighloss is concerned anyone who would take this for weightloss is an idiot. i'm sorry!! I 've gotten two college degrees and I can barely keep one job. My ability to comprehend is almost gone and my dr can't tell me if the damage is permanent. I often feel so alone but although i don't wish this on anyone it sure is nice to see there are others who understand!!
My life was tragically altered by migraines/seizures when I was about your age, and I remember feeling the way you do now.   That was 20 years ago, and I have learned so much about managing my condition without medication!  

I logged onto this site because I had an unexpected relapse last week while vacationing overseas, and was given Topomax (topamax).  This stuff is like poison.  I can barely even type, something I used to be able to do with ease.   I have no appetite, terrible diarrea (diarrhea), and can't rub two thoughts together.  I won't attempt to drive.

You were looking for encouragement, here it is:  You do have a great future, trust me.  Don't believe that the people who don't have migraines are the lucky ones!  My condition gives me a hightened state of consiousness and a spiritual awareness many of my contemporaries miss out on.  Yes, I've had countless migraines, but learned that if I "succumb" to them, i.e. lie in the dark and let them win, I lose.  If I get up and live my life regardless (with some Excedrin) and spit in their eye, I win.  I've had four seizures, but only lost my license once for six months in twenty years!  I had two perfect pregnancies, without meds!  

It can be done, through diet.  Learn your triggers.  Hydrate yourself properly.  Not just regular water, SmartWater with Electrolytes.  Take B vitamins.  Wear sunglasses all the time!  Manage the condition you were GIFTED with.  Treat it with respect.  Thank God for it.  Your life will turn around.  

I suffer from petit mal which is a mild form of epilepsy however my attacks are pretty frequent and I have a pretty stressful job which I have found difficult to manage with epilepsy. My neurologist had tried different medications starting with lamictal, then keppra, then tegtotal and now topomax (topamax). I lost a huge amount of weight when I went on it first and I couldn't really afford to as I am very thin anyway however I found now it seems to have levelled itself off and my appetite seems to have come back and now it seems to be much better with less side effects then the others. Granted my memory is not great but it was worse on the others so I would recommend topomax (topamax). I am very happy with it and have less then 1 seizure every 3 months.
My aunt uses her Topomax (topamax) everyday for siezures. She lives in Florida and just lost her job. She was paying $900 a month for her prescription but now that she isn't working she can't pay for them and she said Florida doesn't have free or low cost insurance. Is there a generic brand, any advice on how she can get this cheaper?
I am on Topomax (topamax) as part of a Traumatic Stress Syndrome treatment / to get off of Seroquel as a sleep aid as it raising my blood sugar.  It doesn't help me sleep, but  the 75 mg I took the other day out of despairation did take away my anxiety. ( I'm only supposed to take 50 ) I thought I was getting bad pop (soda) also, glad to hear it's not just me! It's time I gave it up and drank more water anyway.  I haven't had a memory for so long due to drug interactions that I don't notice any difference with Topomax (topamax).  Your stories make me wonder what it will do for me and why my specialist chose it for me - I have only been on it for a few weeks - but drugs don't seem to affect me the way they are supposed to, so who knows, maybe Topomax (topamax) will be what I need right now.  I need to lose weight.  I am sick to my stomach all the time, but I'm not sure if it is from Topomax (topamax) or something else. I still need something for sleep.  I've tried about everything - Seroquel is the only thing that gives me a good deep sleep.  It also leaves me kind of stoned the next day, but not getting enough quality rest is worse. If anyone has any uncommon sleep aid information I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.  Good luck to all - Peace & Blessings.  Cat Gal 84119
I have been on Topomax (topamax) since January and I am experiencing most of the same side effects as the rest of you.  I have had one additional symptom that my doctor thinks is unrelated to the medication, but I thought I would see if anyone else is having trouble with this as well.  Several weeks ago I started having feeling short of breath after doing simple activities, such as picking something up off the floor, wiping off the table, and picking up my daughter.  More recently, it has gotten to the point where extend conversations and walking short distances make it very difficult to breath.  My doctor wants to look for a heart problem (I am 26), but this all started after the Topomax (topamax).  Does anyone else have similar symptoms?  Thanks!

Been interesting reading for sure!

I was put on topomax (topamax) almost two months ago for Multiple Sclerosis pain. I thought I would find lots of other MS sufferers here. Seems I'm the loner. Makes me feel much better to find out that so many of you are having trouble focusing tho - as that is a major issue with me! And memory seems to be a thing of the past - but then MS can do that too!
I do notice that I am not hungry and am glad someone mentioned to make sure to drink lots and to use lemon to avoid kidney stones. Than ks! After my neurologist tried all the conventional MS drugs and they failed to work as a last attempt to control my pain he put me on topomax (topamax). I will be at full dose of  100 mg/day in May as he is very gradually upping my dosage. Am also having great difficulty sleeping even with sleeping pills.
MSLady1
I am a Severe Traumatic Brain Injury survivor. You would never know to look at me, that is what the doctors that have treated me and the neurosurgeons I work with tell me. Until I have one of my brain injury migraines. Sometimes I get an Aura, a feeling where I know it is coming. But most times it sneaks up on me around the corner and clothes lines me. Sharp blinding pain in the side of my head where my injury is. I have tried beta blockers to lower my heart rate and try and control it that way. I have tried Imitrex, lyrica, excedrin, tylenol (every level) and now Topomax (topamax). I cannot stay awake. I have no more migraine but I cannot keep my eyes open. That could be a problem as now I am a clinical research coordinator for a Dept of neurosurgery at a major university based hospital. You would think I am in THE place to get help but ...no.
I had been placed this passed Saturday on Topamax to replace my years on Dilantin. I had sharp pains hit my right hand even before taking the medication. Pains then shot down the side of my face on the left side like a stroke down my arm tingling in my arms and legs. I hit my emergency alert button and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. From the Emergency Room I was admitted as all thought I was having back to back to back CVA's. Well I now have been on this drug a week have lost no weight they I see face is numb fingers tingle face numb hands tingling as I type and feet and legs are in total neurophophy worse than normal and my impeccable writing skills are an atrocity.
I have fibromyalgia, SLE(Lupus), Epilepsy and some other things. I am 44 and a very long list of chronic terminal illnesses and I am in a power wheelchair, but do not let my wheelchair fool you when my hands are not in bandages and I am not on a new medication;I normally articulate just fine. This tingling is a very frustrating feeling.
Have a great day stay blessed
1. I am Premed Not hiding much here.
2. I am in a Power wheelchair
3. My list of meds covers 3 lunch bags full
4. I am not being seen for any form or anxiety or depression because My challenges are physical and clinically diagnoised as such
5. I am a Pastor in my own right so real funny about seeing odd people on more valium than I am for non medical reasons.
6. so grab some fruit some low kettle corn popcorn for those that do have depression does the same thing as raising your seratonin levels without you overdosing your body on anti depressants. My spelling sucks right now but chalk it up to bandages and Topamax I am on 100mg of Topamax will call the roll of my meds in a sec laughs* hope you have lots of water and fruit.
age 44: live in wheelchair accessible apartment
Health evaluations; Lupus, Hypertension, Seizures, Angina, Migraines, Fibromyalgia, uterine fibroids, frontal lobe tumor of the brain benign, Tumor left knee to hip benign. CVA around 2001; 2 CVA's this past saturday *smiles not bad recovery time God is awesome*  Breast Cancer left lymphatic
Lotensin Hypertension 2.5
Planquenil Lupus 200mg 2 times a day
Neurontin 800 4 times a day
Norvasc 10mg
Propanolol 60mg Angina
Dilaudid 2mg 3-4hrs
HCTZ 25mg
Zofran 8mg PRN short periods depends on Lupus
Oxycotin 40mg PRN
Diazepam 5mg
Meridine 50mg
Oxycodone 5mg PRN
Imitrex 6mg shots PRN
Topamax 100mg Seizures 2 times a day
have you tried kettle popcorn don't ask me why
my caregiver and nurses laughs that are to take care of me are diagnosed manic depressants however I discovered on my own if I eat a half bag of kettle popcorn just as the onset of the headache it actually disappears so lol I am a premed major I used my lol attendants as my trial subjects they both came in with migraines and I popped the kettle corn and had them just nibble and sip water.it worked on them both and it also brought up their serotonin levels lol sorry still have Topamax spelling issue going on here* but it does actually work. it has helped decrease my imitrex bill in half just kettle corn.
Hey
I just read your comments of using this "drug".... my doc's put me on Topamax for biopolar. Im on Epitec (250 mg pd) and Cipralex (20mg pd) I was in a bad motor vehicle accident and my work is very stressfull - i am CSI and see alot of really bad things daily.

I'm starting tomorrow with the meds and after i read all this coments i'm kinda scared of the side effects - no the wieght loss though (picked up 70 lbs since my accident last april). So i would like to really lose wight.

Would also like some support from other people knowing what i'm going through since my family doesn't know and i'm not intending on telling them. As for my work colleques - they deffinatly cant find out.

Do the side effects subside after time? Cause i really cant lose consentration due to work.

Please feel free to mail me ( ***@****) I would really appreciate it alot!!!!!

Tnx for all the info. I really pray that God will help us all through the difficult times.

Theresa
c they really dont post the email addresses well here we go again since i'd really like to come in contact with other peopole
twernich
@
Yahoo
.
com

Please email me as i'm not going on other site's alot due to my schedule.
Thanx
I just started taking Topamax a week ago and am experiencing tremors in my hands and feet not tingles, also have had some really strange semi paralyse type cramping in my hands and feet.  The later is very frightening as you can imagine preparing dinner for your family and not being hable to un-clench your hand from the serving fork, or having to sit down on the stairs unable to continue my climb because my foot has balled up.  Has anyone had this crazy side effect because its really scary, I had 3 episodes in one day! The tremors are wigging my husband out because they happen at night when I lay down to bed, but they seem contained to my extremeties not my body as a whole.  I want to have this drug work because my migraines are severe and beyond frequent and Maxalt quit working after 10 yrs use, and so far the Ralpax works :)  I would love any guidance from the community.
-Victoria in Upstate
I just found this forum and have spent quite a bit of time trying to read alot of the posts. I have been on Topomax (topamax) for approx. 8-months. At first I thought I did not think I was going to be able to continue taking it. My migraines had decreased and that was wonderful but I spent several weeks in a total fog and was in a rage about anything and everything. My job is very math oriented and I thought I was going to have to choose the headaches over the foggy brain; I just could not seem to keep it together. My husband and I decided to take a 3-week vacation and just take a needed break unfortunately by the time we got back I had run out of my prescription and spent almost a week with out it. I was surprise at how fast the migraines returned. I got back on the Topomax (topamax) and had to go through the same scenario but with less severity then the last time. I have gone through, and still get the tingling in my feet and hands and have the weight loss.
I guess after my long drawn out story my big question is... does the weight loss level off? I am very hesitant to go off the Topomax (topamax) after my last episode when I ran out of them and the migraines returned so quickly. I do occasionally still get a migraine but they are so few and far between that they no longer run my life and hardly even think about them until I feel one coming on. ( I use to have 2-3 a week, now maybe 1 a month)
I take 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening so I am already at a low dose. I do not have much of an appetite, but I do make myself eat regular meals. I have always been pretty thin and really do not want to loose any more weight.
Wow! Just read all of your comments and have pretty much made up my mind not to take the Topomax (topamax) I was prescribed today!!! Yes, Effexor is evil but Paxil is worse! For those of you dealing with anxiety or depression who don't want to gain weight would like to (possibly) lose weight, Celexa or the newer version called Cipralex took 50 pounds off of me. I know a number of other people on it who all got back to their pre-Paxil or Prozac weight when they switched. My problem with it is stomach related - SSRIs can be hard on the gut and cause reflux but I don't know of anyone else who had this problem - it's one of those things that happen to a few. Now dealing with dibilitating anxiety attacks that took awhile to diagnose (thought it was vertigo) and the psyche I saw today told me I'm bipolar as well so Topomax (topamax) would be good for me and not affect the stomach... for sleep problems, Trazadone does the trick for me and it's NOT addictive and you can still function if woken (ie: drive in an emergency or tend to a sick child).
Thanks for all  your info. as I've been a guinea pig for these meds for years and don't want to go there again.... think I'll take my chances trying the Celexa again. Good luck all!
It's my third day on topamax. When do the headaches actually ease up? I'm so bummed. I was expecteing a magic cure. :(
It took two weeks before I noticed the headaches had let up. And still I will occasionally have a migraine. BUT, I now only have them maybe once a month or sometimes I will go as long as two months without one, before I was getting them 2-3 times a week.
Thank you for your reply. I feel a lot better knowing that I should expect to wait a few weeks.
I started taking topomax (topamax) about 2 months ago and have lost almost 9ilbs to date. the weight loss is a bonus, the real deal is the awful migraines I was experiencing. Not to mention the passing out, which he docs still can't explain, but I am a work in progress. I was thrown from my horse last Labor day and since then I haven't been the same. 4olbs weight gain, faining spells, migraines, severe mood swings...a 35 year old in a 100 year old body....no offense to anyone I promise.  
My spelling, my memory, my ability to stay awake are all suffering horribly...but I would rather deal with that, I now than have the 3-5 headaches a week I was having. I now have about 3 a month.... woooohoooooooo!!!!!  Ammmaaaazinggg... I hope it lasts..I would like to know if the weight gain will keep going, and if I should check into upping my mg after another month or so. God bless you all
Hi all

I have been on topomax (topamax) for 6 months and lost 1 and 1/2 stone. My problem is I am losing too much weight i weigh only 7 stone.

Topomax (topamax) worked at first for me but stopped working about 3 months ago. I have raised intracrainial pressure and have really bad headaches everyday. I was told by doc only to increase the tablets if I feel the current dose is not helping the headache.

So i would only increase if your migranes (migraines) are really really bad for a long period of time and 25mg daily increase over 2 weeks. But if your current does is workin i would stick at it if you increase the dose u increase the side effects!!!

My problem is that because tompomax has stopped working  for my headachesi have to double my dose from 100 to 200mg.  I have not had memory problems yet but i am only on 100mg what does are you on that you are getting memory problems?

I am only 20 years old.

Many thanks

Scottish Girl
Hi All,
My name is Michelle,
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for about 3 months, with completely differant side effects.  No weight loss - weight gain - of course i also take geodon and wellbutrin in a.m. and Trazadone and Xanax XL at PM. tingling in legs, have been in a fog went off Cymbalta. I am manic depressive as well as bipolar, everyday a recovering cutter.  My biggest side effect is uncontrollable urinatination at night body cannot wait till head gets to the bathroom.  Went off Concerta for 3 months mind went into the twilight zone back on it now and much better.
Any opinions would be welcomed.  I am 49 just shy of 50 work everyday.
no chldren or husband, suportive family.
Thank you,
Michelle
I started Topamax August 2007 to control my appetite while on a doctor controlled weight loss plan (low calorie, low fat).  It helped with my hunger quite a bit.  I take 150 mg/day (100mg/night, 50mg/morning).  My doctor said that 200mg/day is the maximum anyone should be taking.  I DID have to ramp up in the beginning b/c it's a neurological drug and you don't want to take too much too fast.  So you have to be careful with it.

My side affects were the tingling at first, but it went away after a few months.  Carbonated and caffeinated beverages seemed to bring it on, but it wasn't overwhelming.  As long as I knew what to expect, it didn't scare me.

My doctors were wonderful.  They are very well educated and feel that Topamax is a great and safe way to control weight with a lean/green diet for long term maintenance.  I lost 30 lbs in 6 months and now am on the maintenance program.
I have suffered migraines since I was about 11 years old. I am 32 now. The severity has come and gone over the years. I have taken every med out there...Midrin, Maxalt, Axert, Relpax, heart meds in the early days before the newer meds. I have altered my diet at times of everything remotely related to migraines. I have changed birth control pills a million times. Acupuncture, Chiropractic's...minerals and herb supplements....the list goes on. Final last year my neurologist convinced me to I just plain have textbook migraines and it is not hormones or something I am eating or the environment! He also convinced me to try Topomax (topamax). Topomax (topamax) changed my life!!!!! I took it for 6 months and have been off it since January and MIGRAINE FREE!!! still 5 months after coming off of it. I did not suffer any side effects at all. I may have lost about 5 pounds but I as well attribute that to that I started it in the summer and I am A LOT more active in the summer. I am a HUGE exerciser. I bike, run, hike and because I lift weights a good bit have always gone up and down 5-6 pounds at at time. I am 5'5 and weigh 115 lbs.

I hope this helps someone who is contemplating taking the drug. Don't be stubborn me and suffer longer than you have to because you don't want to HAVE to take a med every day.
I, too, have been prescribed Topomax (topamax) for neuropathy.  I can't tell much about it yet, though, because I just started it two days ago. After reading some of these postings, I have really started wondering about some of the side effects I may encounter.
I suffer from Cluster Headaches and have for 12 years now and have been on many different meds to prevent an onset of the demons.  Each having their on set of side affects.  I am currently on lithium, verapamil and topamax.  I take 300 mg a day 100 am 200 pm.  All of these drugs prescribed by my neurologists for the cluster headaches and no other reason.  While I am still not headache free, my best result has been when the topamax was added. As with all drugs the side affects are different for each person.  I did not really experience the blurred vision and very little tingling. Although my dosage of lithium is small that may counterbalance any weight loss the topamax would otherwise cause.  I know topamax is prescribed for many things other than seizures so if your doctor believes it would help your neuropathy then I would certainly give it a try. My mother was dibetic and had neuropathy in her feet and I promise you if she could have taken topamax even with side affects to stop it she would have have rather than suffered as she did.

I am a 42 yr old female who has suffered with migraines since BIRTH! I saw my first neurologist when I was 3 yrs old. My mom just didn't know what to do to help me anymore when I would go around with my hand over my eye and cry and then vomit.  The pediatrician finally told her that he truly believed I was suffering from migraines even though nobody wanted to believe an infant could have migraines. Well this one did!!  I have tried EVERY possible medication out there and even went so far as to self inject with Imitrex when it first came on the market. The key to migraine pain relievers is knowing that you need to have several different medications handy (i.e., Imitrex, Maxalt, Relapax) but you NEVER take different ones on the same day.  Sometimes Imitrex will work for a migraine cycle for say 6 months or even a year and then your body immunes from the drug.  If you have different triptans to choose from you can take one type for one episode and then another for your next episode allowing your system not to immune from the drug.  It is also helpful to take an Ibuprofen along with the triptan prescription drug as well and drinking orange juice I find helps reduce the sore throat and tingly feelings that often come as a side effect from triptan prescriptions.  While the side effects can sometimes being very unpleasant they certainly are worth having the migraine go away.

I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for so many years now I can't even remember how long it has been.  When they first started testing Topomax (topamax) in people with migraines I started on it. It has to be close to 8 or maybe even 10 years now.   I currently take 300mg a day and I use to take it 1 - 100mg pill 3 times a day but I take them all at once because I would tend to forget the lunch time pill. When I first started taking the medicine I did experience short term memory loss, a little confusion that I think I brought on myself because I was frustrated that I couldn't remember things,stomach cramps, and a diminished appetite but I can't say I ever lost more than maybe 5-8 pounds in all the years. I am a very tall woman and tend to stay on the leaner side and my doctor always said I don't have much weight to loose so I shouldn't expect that side effect- lol!  These side effects all went away after my system adjusted to the medicine in about a months time.

I would like to offer some things I have learnt over the years that really helped me.  Stay away from artificial sugars. All those sweeteners they use to substitute the REAL sugar are major triggers for migraine suffers.  MSG is another HUGE trigger.  Foods like Doritos, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, JAX, and any other orangey colored snack or cheesy food is not your friend.  Red wine is liquid pain. For that matter a lot of alcohol is a trigger to migraine suffers.  Barometric weather changes don't help us either.  And ladies .....don't let anyone fool you ...hormonal migraines DO EXIST!!!  I recently had a radical hysterectomy and a BSO for some other medical reasons but I would suffer terribly every month (and I mean having a migraines more than 20 days each month) because of menstrual cycles and stress from everything going on.  After my operation, now almost a year later, and with being completely diligent on what I eat/drink I have been migraine free.  I still take my Topomax (topamax) because I do believe that Topomax (topamax) does help decrease the number of migraines a sufferer gets in a month.  A Hysterectomy isn't the answer for everyone nor is it something that is the right choice for everyone but in my case it solved multiple medical problems and also helped with my headaches like a miracle.  I couldn't take birth control pills either.  

Anyone who is contemplating taking Topomax (topamax) you shouldn't be afraid of it. There are literally thousands and thousands if not millions of people every day who suffer from migraines and are now taking Topomax (topamax) and we are all fine and not crazy.  It does help and the more I type this note the more I think I can probably talk to my doctor now about  coming off and seeing if my headaches will be ok without it.

I hope this helps someone and at a minimum that you know you are not alone.  No one knows the pain of a migraine until they actually suffer through them.  I do and I have and I am so thankful for this past year that has been practically headache free.

i am a 41 yr old male . my mother died a couple of years ago from congestive heart failure. she had lupus , diabetes, high blood pressure , migraines, anxiety. im writing this because im looking for some help. i lost my job several months ago due to panic attacks and migraines and my insurance and since run out . im now self employed doing remodeling but im in fear that wont last. its getting where i cant get on the interstate anymore and one of my biggest fears happened the other day, i had an attack at walmart , which is embarrassing.  im takin atenolol for high blood pressure citalopram for depression and up to 75mg of topamax so far for migraines .  I dont know what to do.. is the burning sensation on the face and the pressure around my head normal signs with migraines? i dont have my mother to ask anymore and im kinda slow anyway.  any help i would appreciate  thank you
I am a 70 year old former teacher who began having migraines (I think) when I was about 52 years old.  I say "think" because I have had headaches all my life and am not certain whether or not they were migraines.  It took several years before they were diagnosed, but I finally was put on Imitrex (50mg.) which worked fine for several years, although my insurance limited me to 9 pills a month, and sometimes I had to purchase additional prescriptions on my own, but as you all know, it was worth it.  Then, suddenly, I had to increase this to 100 mg. and that worked for a while, and then a couple of years ago, one day, it just didn't.  

I saw all kinds of doctors and finally went to a neurologist who put me on Topamax.  I have forgotten how long it took to work, but it wasn't very long....however.....I was just thankful I was no longer working...because what it did to my memory was horrible.  I had prided myself on my memory all my life and suddenly things just weren't the same.  And, I was actually falling asleep sitting up talking to people...I, who had always had trouble sleeping.  And I was just tired and sleepy all the time.  Since I was on vacation, I cut back on the dosage, and THEN called my doctore, and he said it was ok.

My prescription is for 25 mg. twice a day, but I had actually begun cutting those tiny little pills in half, mostly to save money, because I have to pay $30 a month for these little beauties, and was taking only the one half a day at bedtime.  Well, you can guess what happened.  The headaches started up again and I no longer had any Imitrex around, not that it would have helped if I had had some.

I wish it would affect my weight, but maybe I don't take enough.  I do have to say that the mental confusion and memory problems have gotten a little bit better, but I'm not sure if that's because I've adjusted to the medication or if it's because I've been taking so little.  The last couple of days I have taken 25 mg. am and pm and for the most part, the headaches have gone away, although I feel them "lurking" in the background.  Mine always start in my neck and then work up into my head, which I hear is not typical.

My doctor asks me what he is going to do with me.  At my age, migraines should be going away, not getting worse.  For those of you who are having trouble with restless legs, either get a sleep study done, or ask you doctor for gabapentin or one of the other restless legs medications that are available.  As far as sleeping goes, another doctore had prescribed Trazodone 100mg. (I actually just had to walk into the bedroom to get the name of this prescription....so you can see that the memory is still not that great, at least in certain areas).  I take that JUST BEFORE I LAY MY HEAD DOWN...because it works so fast, but I'm usually out in about 2 or 3 minutes.  I have forgotten what Trazodone is actually for; the sleep factor is actually a side effect.  I LOVE it.

For me, even with the side effects, hands down, I would take Topamax.  I was having   migraines every single day.  Life was not worth living.  I may be sleepy and forgetful, but I'm happy and pain free this way.

Goonie

I need answers and it looks like I may get them here.  Here is my history:

. 48 years old
. Pseudotumor Cerebri diagnosed in 2001
. Brain Aneurysm surgery in 2002

Since my surgery I have been doing quite well, fully functional, no residual effects other than wearing eye glasses.  Such a blessed gal!

The Pseudotumor Cerebri is the problem.  It has resurfaced a couple of times, but after a Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap), I would get relief.  I have lost count of the number of spinal taps I have had over the years, but it has been many.  

A few weeks ago my head aches returned, my vision became blurry and then doubled.  My neurologist has scheduled yet another spinal tap for next week and another CT to make sure the aneurysm is not leaking.  He also has me trying Topomax (topamax).  

I have only taken 2 doses so far and am wondering if the nasty taste in my mouth, the nausea feeling and the lack of desire to do anything could be from the medication already.  After only 2 pills?

Of course I would love to have the side effect of losing weight, but managing my headaches without life altering side effects is my goal.  Guess I am just a little skeptical.  

Has anyone else used this to help with PTC?  It is a rare disease and very few people have even heard of it.  It is basically water on the brain that results in pressure headaches.  My opening pressure with the spinal taps has been way off the charts.

Anyway, just nice to know there are people to chat with that truly understand life with headaches.  

Looking forward to hearing from any of you!
I am sorry to hear about your mother. Sounds like a boat load of health issues. I am no health care professional, but pride myself with the knowledge and experience life has dealt me. I take Topamax and many other medications for anxiety and depression, and I do not know what the "burning of the face and pressure around the head" is. All I can suggest is to go see your Doctor, since you have a lovely family history of illnesses and are prone to them yourself, you need to be seen. It might not be a side effect, but something new. Maybe something with your Blood Pressure. Take your health care seriously! Good luck to you.
I have been on topomax (topamax) for three weeks now.  My doc is started me off w/ 2 a day.  25 mg.  I spaced them out 12 hrs apart at first, but I was up all night.  Now I take the 1st one at 10:30 and the 2nd at 4:30.  It just works well at those times.   I'm not a soda drinker but it has not changed the taste of my iced tea.  Most of the time I drink water or coffee.  However, I thought the milk went bad a few times and now I know it must have been the pills.  But it happened only a few times.  I only got 1 migraine in 3 weeks.  I still get the regular headaches, but I take 4 motrin for them.  But the migraines have subsided.   I got Migraines since I was 3 yrs old.  When I was old enough to take meds, I took Forinal, Foristat, Zomig, Imitrex, both pill form and breath-a-lizer and another one with an "R".  Lots of them made me shaky.  This really doesn't.  I try to eat a healthy breakfast like a yogurt, so my stomach has the live acidopholus and then it's coated. I take the pill.  Then a few hours later I am not really hungry so I have a healthy lunch, like a  salad, 1/2 wrap.  I did lose some weight.  I did not have tingling except for one time in my fingertips and that happened last night.  I talk fine, just faster. I'm happier if that's possible.  I am more alert.  I am fine.  My mouth is dryer then normal and I always drank a lot of water.  I find this to be an opportunity to get healthy.  While I have less of an appetite, I am going to treat my body right.  Start putting better stuff in it.  It's starting to show.  I also don't have the itchy scalp.  Then again, I am on 25mg 2X aday.  That's a lower dose, but my doctor is watching this carefully.  So give it a try.  
chrissy
My wife has been on Topomax (topamax) for over a year now. Over the last 4 months or so she has become verbally aggressive and short tempered with me and the kids. Has anyone else experienced this side effect?
Hi   i,m Leslie425
i to am on atenolol for bp .i also have panic attacks.my doc put me on topamax for weight loss.my panic attacks got worse when he put me on atenolol i am going to have him take me off that stuff.the presure around your head sounds like the migraine the buring feeling on your face sounds like your panic attacks . i know because i get it too . you can beat this. i fight this all the time . it is you against your brain. you are going to be ok
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for a couple weeks now.... of course I have the tingling-  this will happen as it is a med that is associated with our nerves.  My doctor put me on it as I have been struggling with weightloss and we have tried differnet meds without success. My friend took it for migraines but said it totally affected her eating- she would forget to eat.  She warned me it would make sodas and beer taste list ****--  I love beer.  However at this point it has not affected me.  I actually crave soda more.  

My history:  I have been overweight since being a teenager.  I have IBS-  (the chronic constipation version), anxiety and depression.  I am currently on Wellbutrin XL and Topomax (topamax)- not sure what milligrams and take Yaz for b.c.

Side Effects:  At this point I think I have gained weight, my biggest concern is the side effects-  I have been spotting all along and I am soo like irrateable would be a nice way to say it.  However one good this is that my bowels seem to be working nicely (not sure if this is from topomax (topamax) or wellbutrin-  as I just got on wellbutrin a couple months ago.

I can say that I know what it feels like to have migraines, I have had them since being a teenager, my mother and brother have them too.  As I have aged (36) I only get migraines with my cycle, therefore I take my b.c. for 3-4 consectutive months to prevent migraines- when I get a migraine it lasts for 3 days.
I have not posted on this site before, I am a 44 year old male that until 2 1/2 years ago was reletivly "Brain"healthy. At that time I started having several episodes of losing my balance, veering to my right, falling over and vision problems. I have 14 white matter lesions in my brain and after under going an epileptic study I was diagnosed as having absence seizures. At that time My Neurologist started me on Topamax. 100 mg/day. The Topamax made an impact immediately and improved my quality of life. I had the usual side effects at first, pins and needles, confusion, lost words but that cleared up in a few weeks. The one thing that has not let up is the bad taste of Carbonated Drinks!! Theay all tatse bad. Small price to pay though. I was doing great for the first 7 months but in the last 4 weeks I started having the seizures again and the Dr. increased my dosage to 300mg/day and ordered another MRI to see if I have any new lesions. The topamax has really worked great for my condition so far and hopfully this is just a minor setback and will pass.
Gary
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in October of `07 and have been on "Lyrica" since then.  Since "Lyrica" is used for epilepsy, MS pain, neuropathy pain (it also stopped my occassional migraine which would last from 1-3 days).  Since being on Lyrica, I have gained 20 lbs. going from a size 10 to now a sz 16, and the edema I have is awful, my ankles & hands swell so much I cannot wear my wedding rings (& water pills do not relieve the hand swelling).  My doc put me on Meridia for weight loss 2 months ago and I have lost 2 lbs.  I also have IBS, but the diarrhea type, so a side effect of Lyrica is constipation, somehow this has balanced me out (which is the good thing of being on Lyrica).  It does help with the Fibromyalgia pain for me, I can't deny that one.
A friend of mine, went on Topomax (topamax) 3 weeks ago for her fibromyalgia and she said that it is working.  That her anxiety (panic) attacks are almost non-existant (where I take Xanax for anxiety attacks), the only drawback she has is diarrhea, yes she has the tingling you all talk about, but anyone get the diarrhea?  
I have an appointment with my doc this week and want to discuss with him Topomax (topamax), but I'd like to hear from you guys first. With fibromyalgia I already have the tingling hands, and memory fog, so this is nothing new to me, and my feet and palm of my left hand have no feeling since 1989 due to the fibromyalgia.
Any comments/help is welcome
Thank you
Cathy
I posted here on May 20th, and I thought it was very important that I give an update:

2 days ago I had a sudden sharp pain in my side and thought my appendix burst.  The pain didn't subside and I had my husband take me to the emergency room.  After a 3 shots of pain meds in my i-v, a urinalysis, catscan and xray they determined that I had a kidney stone, with several more formed in my kidneys.

This made me question everything I had been putting into my body from the FILTERED water I drink to the TOPAMAX I take to the wine I drink.  So I called the doctor who prescribes me Topamax, and he confirmed very affirmatively, that kidney stones is a side affect of Topamax.  So i've been taking this drug as an appetite suppressant (which is a side affect of the drug) for 1 year now, and I got a side affect of it, which is kidney stones!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I now have a "condition" I might have to deal with for several years b/c of this one year of reduced appetite and "magic pill" that I thought was helping me.

So everyone please beware of everything you put in your body, all the way from what appears to be harmless over the counter drugs such as Asprin, ibuprofin, Tylenol, to prescribed drugs such as Topamax, etc. etc. etc.  You can NEVER be too sure even if a doctor is prescribing it for you.  You are your only advocate, and  you're ultimately responsible for your own health and wellbeing.  I have no one to blame but myself!!!!!
I have been taking Topamax 200 mg for about 6 months.  I am taking it at night to help me sleep and to help with my depression.  During the day I take 450mg of Wellbutrin.  I have the same side effects a lot of people mentioned, the non carbonated tasting sodas (how I would LOVE to have a big huge soda) the tingling which went away rather quickly, some weight loss, but now I am have HAIRLOSS!  Quite a bit too.  I am not bald by any means, but sheesh if it keeps up I just might be.  I have read where some of you have been on Topamax for longer than 6 months.  Have you noticed any hair loss?  I may have to find another mood stabilizer/sleep aid, but it is hard to find one that doesn't make you gain weight!
Has anyone noticed hair loss?  I have after 5 weeks of 50 mg, prescribed for migranes (migraines).  I am loosing a few pounds but the hair loss is more than I can handle.  I'd really like to know if you have experienced this?
As I posted in the comment right before yours, yes I am experiencing hair loss.  How much?  Well in a little over a week, almost half a sandwich size baggie full.  I really didn't realize how much until I emptied my waste basket underneath the bathroom sink.  I saw all the wads of hair I had been collecting from my brush each day and putting in the trash.  So I collected it all and put it in the baggie.  I was astounded at how much there was!

I have an appt. with my Dr. to discuss going off Topamax and finding something in its stead.  I am fortunate that I do not have to use this medication for the control of migraines but only for sleep/mood stabilizer.  

Everyone has to weigh the side effects of a medication with the results/relief the medication gives in turn.  For me, I know there are other medications out there although I don't like trying new medications, I don't want to be bald either!

Good luck!!!
well i guess i;ve been persuaded to give it a go, so we;ll see what happens I;ll keep y;all updated. This site has been excellent though, for info. thanks to everyone who posted.
Lia
HELLO I HAVE READ EVERY THING ABOUT TOPAMAX.MY SIQUIATRIST JUST RECOMENDED,I AM IN DEPRESSION I USE KLONOPIN.05,AND TODAY HE GAVE ME TOPAMAX TO START,BUT I AM SCARE JUST READING ALL THE SIDE EFFECTS.I AM ALWAYS ESTING NONE STOP,I EAT AND FEEL FULL AND JUST KEEP EATING,THE GOOD THING THAT I HEAR IS LOSEING WEIGHT SO I HOPE THIS WILL HELP ME.LOSE SOME OF THAT OVER WEIGHT AND CHANGE MY HABBIT OF EATING
HI,I AM A 44YR OLD MARRIED WOMAN,I AM IN DEPRESSION I DRINK KLONOPIN 0.5,TODAY MY SIQUIATRIST RECOMENDED TOPOMAX (topamax),BUT I AM SCARE TO START TO USED IT AS I HAVE READ EVERYONE SAYING DIFFRENT THINGS.BUT I AM ALWAYS ANXIOUS,AND ESTING ALL DAY I HAVE GAIN LOTS OG WEIGHT AND I FEEL AWFUL THE WAY I LOOK.THE ONLY GOOD I READ IS THAT U LOSE WEIGHT I HOPE THIS COULD WORK FOR ME BUT STILL NOT SURE WHEN TO START THE TOPOMAX (topamax).CAN ANY ONE HELP ME
Hey,
I'm new at this. I was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder yesterday. My dr. started me out with topomax (topamax). 25mg once at bedtime. Im anxious about it working. I want it to work and fast. When will I notice a change in my moods?
Man I am REALLY glad I read alot of these.  I am about to be on my 3rd week of this med and my biggest gripe is the way my tonge feels.  It feels like I burned it and I cannot taste things like they should.  But from the sounds of it, it seems normal.  The tingling and stuff would be hard for me to judge cuz I am always losing feeling in my hands and feet anyhow.  And as far as the weight loss have not lost any yet.  On it for constant migraines though.  started with 25mg a day, just got finished with 25mg 2x a day, now I am going to 25mg in the am and 50mg in the pm.  I hope that this feeling goes away on my tongue soon, it hurts ALOT!!!

Tina
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for 3 months now.  I am an experiment for now.  I had brain surgery 10 years ago for hydrocephalys.  Now i am trying to avoid going through it again and this is our final grasp at anything but surgery.  I was thrown into 100mg a day for three months with no result.  Just last week I was put up to 200mg a day for the next three months to see if that will do anything for me.  I have been on quite a roller coaster ride of side effects!  The spinning and tingling are quite annoying.  I don't mind the weight loss at all but being a Pepsi-a-holic for the past 12 years, I have had a terrible time adjusting to life without soda!  I never thought I would come across something that would make quitting soda cold turkey so easy.  Carbonation, caffeine and I went hand in hand on a daily basis for a very long time.  Guess that could explain some of the weight loss.  I am glad to know I am not alone in the craziness.  I hope there are still people out there that want to share.  I look forward to hearing from you.  My headaches are still hard to push through but that is because my issues are from pressure issues and topomax (topamax) isn't really geared to fix that from what i understand.  Oh well...i will exhaust all possibilities to avoid that surgery again!!!
I've been on topomax (topamax) for about 2 months.....as with all of you can not tolerate soda...bummer....have lost a bit of weight...I have taken it for headaches...not migraines...but tension headaches I've had for 12 years...so far it's helped some....but hte headaches are still there daily.....IVe tired acupuncture and chiropractric....no help. I do have pancreatits also.  I have noticed that since taking topomax (topamax) I seem to have more belly pain...not really 'pain'....just ache all the time....anyone else experience that?  It seems we all have more than one ailment that goes along with all this.....I am sorry to say.  I do hope some are still out there and willing to chat .....I'm willing to help all I can in any way....good luck to all of you....guess that's all we have......Patti
I just started taking it as well! I have experienced stomach ache as well. In fact, it has kept me awake the last two nights. I really can't explain how it feels. It isn't stomach cramps.
I have only been taking 25mg 1x in the evenings for the last 4 days. Let me know if you are still experiencing this discomfort.

Thanks,
Michelle
Wow, I didn't realize how many people used Topomax (topamax) for migraines.  I have to use it in combination with Zoloft and have for over 9 years.  I have tried to back off of one or more of them for financial reasons a number of times.  It is impossible to quit either one without my migraines returning, and they are debilitating.  I have no side effects, or if I do, I am used to them or am just so happy to be with out the migraines.  

My question to all you is how you can stand the coast of Topomax (topamax) without a generic form?  I have 4 other daily meds and will lose weight on that alone if I don't stop spending my food money on prescriptions.
I started taking Topamax 25mg 2x a day, 5 months later my liver enzymes shot up beyond normal range (It should not be about 40 and it was 71) --So I went for an ultrasound after 2 blood tests showed this abnormality.  The ultrasound showed an enlarged liver.

I was directed to a gastroenterologist, he looked over my records and did a blood panel and he will check my blood again in a month during which I will stop taking TOPAMAX.  I am back to taking IMITREX for my headaches.

I do not want to do anything that will mess with my liver since that is a vital organ.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.
Hi everyone, I've read many of your posts and have experienced many of the same side effects. I've been on topomax (topamax) for 6 years. I still get really cold hands and feet, it doesn't keep me up at night but I still have a decreased appetite. When I can't get to the drug store for a few days and run out, I gain a few pounds back. I went off topomax (topamax) 3 1/2 years ago and my headaches came back, so i was put back on it. I was initially on topomax (topamax) for a siezure disorder, so my doc told me that he doesn't want me off of it unless I speak with him first (for pregnancy).
Hey -

I've been on 25mg of Topomax (topamax) for three weeks now - no tingling, no weight loss, no forgetfullness, only nasty soda taste.  Any idea when the rest of these symptoms are supposed to set it?  Is there a dosage guideline? I'm thinking that, so far, this is kind of a walk in the park, without the wished-for weight-loss....
HI,
I have read a lot of your messages and have some major concerns. I am about to start Topamax and am very worried about the side effects. Why does it make soda taste funny? How does it taste? Alcohol too? I dont drink coffee so dont care about that, and dont drink much alcohol, but will miss soda!! But what worries me more is the 'confusion' and difficulty concentrating that so many of you have mentioned. I am a paramedic. I need to be able to think fast, make life or death decisions quickly. And if it even effects ones ability to drive safely, that effects my ability to safely operate an ambulance in traffic. Also, my patient care is affected by my 'hands on' assessment of the patient. I have to be able to palpate (touch essentially) and feel, sometimes some very subtle things to provide good patient care. I am worried that the 'tingling' y'all are describing  will effect that. Has anyone had any experience specifically with that? I used to work with a lady who took Topamax and complained of her feet being tingly while at work, and simply said she forgot to drink her tomato juice before coming to work, and that when she takes topamax and doesnt drink tomato juice her feet tingle. I never saw her have any problems operating the ambulance in non emergency as well as emergency situations. And when she was assessing and treating patients, I never saw her appear to be 'slow' in the thinking area, or reaction time.
Im very concerned. But my migraines are debilitating and ive already lost one job because of the frequency of them. Cant drive an ambulance safely if my vision is messed up from the migraine, or think fast and clearly when my head feels like its going to explode.
Not sure what to do now....
HELP!!!!
thanks,
Sharon
Hi, I've been on Topomax (topamax) for the last 5 months and have experinced some major side effects with the tingling of the hands and feet, and memory and along those lines, HOWEVER, I started taking a Vitamin B complex, and wow has it helped with all the tingly feelings I don't get them now!!! For me the tingling was crippling pins and needle pain in my hands and feet, I was reduced to tears. I'm on the topomax (topamax) for traumatic migraines I was hit in the head at work 7 months ago. I've also much to my dismay lost 40lbs on the topomax (topamax) and am still loosing weight, any suggestions to keep weight on? I can't afford to loose anymore. Thanks!
I stopped reading after much repetition. My comments are as follows for anyone that may be in my boat.....I started topomax (topamax) (25mg) 1 time per day, 1 1/2 weeks ago for migranes (migraines) that were brought on due to hormone changes due to perimenopause. So typically I get the migranes (migraines) 2 weeks before my period and right on the day I get my period and then God forbid that I also get a sinus infection, because that can bring one on also. I had also gained 50pounds in the last 5 years (said to also be brought on by "the change")  So the topomax (topamax) has taken away my appetite very nicely. I now just eat 3 times a day like a normal person. No overeating like I was. Due to the perimenopause I have also had insomnia for the last 2 years and the topomax (topamax) now has me sleeping like a baby. I take it right before bed. My doctor also gave me Maxalt 10mg should I get a migrane (migraine) before this topomax (topamax) builds up  in my system. Then should I get a migrane (migraine) after one month of being on topomax (topamax) at 25mg then they will boost me up to 50mg and so on and so on. It make sense to me to try the build up in your system approach as everyone is different in what they need. Probably also why I have not had any of the other symptoms that you all talk about. Maybe you are all on too high of doses? Those of you on 100mg especially talking about tingling in hands etc.   I hope to start on bioidentical hormones soon and that should eliviate the migranes (migraines) altogether so that I do not have to take the topomax (topamax) at all. If anyone has my issues, I recommend reading "the wisdom of menopause". Best of luck to you all out there.
hello, I have been on Topomax (topamax) for about 2 months now and the tinglin has not gone away, I've only lost a few lbs, I am overweight and my doctor has recomended I loose some weight since I also have high cholesterol.  I am taking the Topomax (topamax) for headaches and they have completelly gone away, but I really hate feeling tired and not being able to focus.
i've been taking topamax now for about 2 weeks and after about one week noticed right away the loss of appetite, which didn't bother me too much.  (i don't have a problem with losing some weight!)  BUT what i'm beginning to notice and NOT like is the tingling in my left leg only...the entire leg.  AND the way it makes my soda seem "flat".  Anybody else experience this?  WHY is this?!?  it is helping w/my migraines some though, so i can't complain with regards to that.  
any one suffering chest pain or back pain associated with the topamax?
My doctor prescribed me Topamax 3 days ago to curve my appetite. I am on 400 mg of seroquil and 450 mg of lithium a night. The seroquel makes me eat and eat often, but only at night. I am hoping this topamax works because I don't want to gain any weight. I haven't so far, Thank God. I was just wondering if anyone is taken Topamax for the same reason and if they had good results with it. Thank You
I have taken Topomax (topamax) (for alcohol cravings) for the last 5 months - 50mg (25 morning - 25 at night).  I noticed the cravings are gone but I still experience frequent headaches.  I stopped taking 10 days ago and my headaches seem to be worse.  I have lost 25lbs since I started Topomax (topamax) - it seemed to take my appetite away - I am currently doing alot of aerobic activity and this has sped up the weight loss.

I stopped taking Topomax (topamax) specifically because I seemed to have concentration issues and more importantly it affected my speech.  I seemed to always have flem (phlegm) (frog) in my throat and it never seemed to go away - people would ask if I was getting over a cold.  I am currently looking for work and having to constantly clear my throat is not good for interviews. Since I stopped taking Topomax (topamax) I notice my headaches last most of the day - but my speech and concentration have cleared up.  One more note: It seems to have affected my moods - I tend to get agitated rather easily.  Don't know if it is the headaches or directly related to not taking the medication any longer.  Also, I would sleep 10-12 hrs a day while on Topomax (topamax) - now I wake up at 7-8hrs)
Just started Topomax (topamax) 25mg in January, after a long 6month debate if I should actually take it.  December was a bad migraine month.  This is what I noticed about me when I take it:  With in 20min of taking it at night I have to fall asleep.  I have loss most of my taste, especially for sweet things-they taste like yuk!  I can eat only natural foods-absolutely no chemicals/preservatives-again taste like yuk!  I have tingling in my facial cheeks.  I find that my mouth tends to be dry.  I try to drink at least 1-2 liters/day h20.  interesting reading, because I have always drank water w/ lemon.  I will keep doing so.  I do feel tired at times and lack the normal frantic energy that I normally have.  I dont like that at all.  I do feel dull.  The benefits still outweigh the risks.  I dont mind losing a bit of weight.  I can handle the tingling in my face.  I will need to exercise more to off-set the effects of topomax (topamax).  but most of all...I havent had any severe headaches in 3 months.  I had to take Excedrine Migraine maybe 3 times total since starting in January.  I lived off the stuff before.  I was greatful for it.  But now I can actually have agood time and enjoy a glass of wine without the side effects of a severe HA.
It has helped reading everyones effects of taking topomax (topamax).  Thanks for all the good advice and not making me feel so alarmed about the tingling and lack of taste (taste buds, that is-ha).  hope the best for all those out there who take meds for whatever reason and wish you success.
I have been on Topamax for migraines for almost a year now, I lost 45 lbs then, but now the weight is coming back on which really stinks, but also the headaches are starting to come back more often, so I am thinking about asking my Dr to up my dosage I am currently at 100. So just to let you know, that the weight does come back!
I am having a CT Scan tomorrow to see if my "new"migraines are from my sinuses or something else.  If not my doctor has suggested putting me on this Topomax (topamax).  He has warned me of the side effects including the weight loss (by the way,,,I would love to lose 40#) and the tingling in hands and feet but that the tingling will go away.  MY biggest concern is that I am mucho many other medicines for BP. Depression, Warfarin because of Lupus Antibody and Mechanical Heart Valve.  I had severe migraines over 10 years ago but found the reason was the Lupus.  I have not had anymore until a couple of months ago.  Doctor thinks they are breaking thru the antidepressants.  anyone with any advice...please respond.  Thank You.
I was put on Topomax (topamax) about three weeks ago due to migranes (migraines) caused by my Manier's Disease of which I have had for over ten years.  I also am of course over weight of which it does not help my problem.  The Doc has had me on a combination on of BP med, diaretics and motion pills, not she added the topomax (topamax) and a B2 vitamin.  She also warned me about the weight loss, of which I am looking forward to (lost 6 pounds so far).  She also asked me if I drank soft drinks and I do, too much 5 to 6 a day and she laughed and said be prepared to quite them, sure enough don't drink anymore cokes, instead drink water, tea or orange juice.  
I have not gotten any tingling fingers or tingling face events, but have noticed I am tired more, but have also noticed I am getting over my tired moods as time goes on.  The Doc also took me off of salt, and that has also helped.
My headaches have subsided quite a bit since my dosage was double from 25 mg to 50 mg in the second week of the treatment.  I also smoke and have also started to note a distaste for smoking as time goes on, and that is also one very favorable side affect.
I have read several of thee postings and have been amazed and also excited about the progress I hope to have on this med.
I will keep checking back on this postings to learn more.

Thanks to all
The Weasel...............
Hi everyone! I am a migraine sufferer too! I have been for about 4 years now..i've tried taking topomax (topamax) before 25mg and it just made my migraines worst then they were before so after about 4 days i took myself off of it..i took myself off all pain meds for migraines completley and i started to learn how to cope with them because i just kept getting prescribed different medications for different side effects and it was horrible. So i controlled them with 800mg advil or tylenol and lots of fountain soda ( i dunno why it just had to be a fountain soda) aleve and midol both work also with a fountain soda..but the first thing you have to realize when you are a migraine sufferer that it's a sickness you have to cope with just like any deadly sickness out there..and the more you stop worrying and learning how to cope the easier they will get..you got to learn them...for example i know i get blurred vision,mood swings,depression,flashing lights (feeling like a hang over) before i get my migraines and my migraines always last for 3 days. No more no less..on that fourth day when i wake up i feel much better. Panic atress anxiety and depression cause tension headahes witch can and most likely will lead to a full blown migraine attack in migraine sufferers..so i know its better said then done but try not to sweat the small stuff...

But what i was trying to get at was..get a vitamin book on what vitamins can help with certain sickness's and symptoms...vitamins and herbs DO work..the reason why doctors and pharmacists dont prescribe them is because they can't make any profit off them...they cant patent them because you cant patent mother nature.

SKULL CAP..is a good natural way to help with a migraine it has sedating power.
seriously try it.

and i take B complex and Magnesium calcium complex for a preventitive way to help with my migraines and panic disorder..and i've had a migraine twice a month when i use to have them 5 or 6 a month since i have been taking these vitamins/minerals. they have worked wonders..

If topomax (topamax) works for you DONT just stop taking it talk to your doctor about all this..because i am not a doctor..i just want to try and help because i know how it feels..and i know what's helped me. And i want to also help everyone who is thinking about trying topomax (topamax) but isnt sure to see if maybe this can help them before they go on something with such harsh side effects. because i know i'm a whimp and i hate side effects and i freak out when i get them lol

Also for restless leg a side effect of topomax (topamax)..the magnesium calcium will stop it dead in it's tracks because this medicine works together to help relax your muscles. 1,500mg you can go to a vitamin store and get it they will tell you what you should get..just like a pharmacist would do.

and also you can try some tonic water with quenine in it..that also REALLY helps i know tonic water is disgusting..but it works..

I HOPE EVERYONE FEELS BETTER! AND HANG IN THERE!
Hi everyone.  I took Topomax (topamax) about 4 years ago for 1 year.  My neurologist prescribed it because I have migrains and chronic headaches.  It was a MIRACLE.  The headaches I have had my whole life were gone, AND I lost about 30 lbs in that year.  My dosage was around 175mg/ day.  Side effects: no side effects except loss of appetite.  Although, my mood was different- and some people noticed I was "different".  Emotionally I think it made me a little nuts, and that's the reason I stopped taking it.  Well, it's been about 3 or 4 years and I have GAINED 50lbs, and my headaches are back.  It's time to get back on Topomax (topamax), but I have no health insurance!!  

I also took Cymbalta at the same time and quit it at the same time as Topomax (topamax).  Getting off Cymbalta (an antidepressant) was a NIGHTMARE.  I was dizzy, sweaty, and had painful "electrical zapps" feelings in my brain!!  It was pretty much impossible for me to do anything for 2 months until these symptoms subsided.  Although, LOTS of Dramamine helped lessen these effects.  DO NOT TAKE CYMBALTA EVER.
Been on topomax (topamax) for several months. There is weight loss, but it also coincides with exercising on the treadmill for 60 min every other day. However I think it does work as an appetite suppressant.
Completely got rid of migraines. Definitely weird itchiness of skin and scalp at times. Yes, there is trouble finding the right words, misspelling words, memory loss, etc. After many months of being on topomax (topamax) and over 30lbs lighter, I no longer was able to achieve orgasm. Not worth it to me. Spoke with doc and he confirmed. Not sure what to do now for migraines and appetite suppressant, but at least I am happy to have sex again. :)
I have been on Topomax (topamax) for over a year now, only 25mg.  It stopped my migraines immediately and I have not had any more trouble, except when I tried cutting that tiny little pill in half to see if that would do the trick; it didn't.  But the sleepiness and brain fog have NOT gone away; these are problems that I face every single day.  Good thing I'm not working any more because I was a h.s. teacher.  Now, I can't even remember if I have made a phone call to a particular person.  I can't believe I am as spacey as I am.

The Topomax (topamax) has never helped me with weight loss.  Maybe the dosage I take isn't big enough, but I don't know that I would want to up it with all of the side effects, although I could stand to lose about 60 lbs.  I also have restless legs (mentioned in a couple of the posts) for which I take Gabapentin, which I guess is Neurontin, and that does help tremendously.  And, I also take Trazadone to put me to sleep and that works like a charm.  I only wish I had had that a long time ago because I have had sleeping problems my entire adult life; now I sleep for 9 hours, and could sleep longer, but feel that's probably not a good idea, so I just get up.

Someone commented that he/she couldn't believe that anyone with a migraine could function at all.  Maybe there are different types, or different levels, because what I had were certainly migraines, but there were times that I just popped an Imitrex and usually within a half hour the migraine was gone, along with the absolutely crushing pain, weird lights and the nausea,leaving me only feeling like a wet dish rag,  only, all of a sudden the Imitrex stopped working.  But, I did continue to teach with migraines.  So, either people experience migraines in different ways, or there are different types of migraines.  Lying down with a migraine would have made mine worse, so I never did that.  But I did need to be in the dark and in a quiet place, and you don't find that in a classroom of 30 students trying to learn French.

In spite of the sleepiness,  brain fog and forgetfulness, I am not willing to stop the Topomax (topamax), although I wish I could get back my edge.  I guess you can't really "have it all".

Finally Pain Free!
I am very happy to have found this discussion board and read so so many comments. My doctor prescribed Topamax as an off-label use for weigh-loss and dispite the side effect (some more severe than he descibed) I could not be be happier! I did the "step-up" plan (I started out on 25 mg/day and now am up to 200 mg/day which seems to be my tolerable maintainance dose) I have lost 50lbs over 3 months and I feel great! I do suffer some side effects. Tingling in in my fingertips and occasionally my left leg... I have some issues with visual disturbances as well. I did have some trouble with balance issues early on on, but that seems to have resolved. I also have some spelling and memory problems and tend to to double type words. (Thank goodness for spell-checker!)  I'm just glad to see that there are some others with the the same symtoms (symptoms). I plan to continue at at least for a while to to see where this leads. I still have a lot more weight to lose and this is the only thing that has has helped in years.
for anyone taking Topamax for weight loss I have been on this drug for 4 years for seizures, migranes (migraines) at first over a period of 1 year i lost 59 pounds witch was great last year i had to get off because I concieved my daughter and did not want to be on any meds while I was pregnant ( best choice I made) when I was pregnant I gained 63 pounds and know I weigh 173 compared to the 125 I weighed befor I Got pregnant. my daughter is a year old now and Im now back on topamx as of 2 months ago. since then I have formed a weird crease above my lip only when I smile and I am experiencing really bad leg and feet cramps . my nuero told me it is probably a side affect of the topamax. and me sot being able to absorb sodium or magnisum. these things that are happening to my body are so not worth it. this crease above my lip is so embaressing I feel like every body is always looking at it when I smile/
I also know this drug has ruined my teeth. I know see a peridontist because it has started to eat away my gums and now my gum line is starting to shrink. and eventially I will look like a horse. for all you that are so amazed by the weight loss I bet you have never really payed attention to your gums or the difference from when you started the meds to now. I used to think I was so bueatiful and that nothing was wrong with me , im not trying to sound consedid im just being honest. Im 28 years old know and believe me fitting into those size 3 jeans and getting all those compliments was so not worth the 5-7 years this drug has aged me. Just take notice of all the little things that go one with your face and body. I bet alot of you also havn't noticed that your skin isnt as tight as it used to be. and you probably think im going thru this because im going to be 30 soon but I have spoken with people that are in there late teens ans early 20's and this is still happening.

just be carefull
God bless you all
I began to take Topamax  about 2 months ago for tri-geminal neuralgia - due to a root canal gone bad.  It is the third medication the drs. have tried on me.  At first I was excited due to the side effect of loss of appetite and possible weight loss.  All the previous meds have caused me to gain between 20-25 lbs in 6 months.  Much to my dismay, like the other meds, I quickly built a tolerance to the meds (as had occurred with the others).  At 50 mg/day the facial pain/seizures quickly returned.  Due to all the horrible side effects I was experiencing, I refused to increase the dosage.  A new med has been recommended and needless to say, I have not started on that one either - even though the pain is EXCRUCIATING!  Besides building a quick tolerance to the meds, I also experienced change in vision - leading to a great expense in new contacts and glasses within a very short amount of time, extreme chest and spinal pains, extreme increase for a desire of salty foods ( previously, I have never enjoyed the taste of salt or salty items), inability to sleep at night (I'm usually a very heavy sleeper for 5-6 hours per night), and a severe loss of appetite but absolutely NO weight loss (and I run 3.8 miles per day).  The worse has been the days of lack of focus and the sense of "laziness" that I experience - at least 1 to 2 days/week, it is very difficult for me to find the desire to go about my daily routine, let alone do activities to enjoy the summer weather.  Because of this loss of time with my family, I have taken myself off the Topamax, have promised myself to not continue with any of these meds and have begun a holistic treatment.  Unfortunately it will take a while for my system to be completely cleaned of the medications, but I am already beginning to feel that I know myself again.
I have been on effexor for several years for depression and it worked great. I started with 75mg, the lowest dose, and it absouletly saved me. After reading some comments on it I'm thinking the effexor and menopause may be the reasons I started gaining weight out of control. Now I'm taking topamax and I want to know when I will see some weight loss. I've been on 100mg for about three months. The taste in my mouth as changed (it's what I imagine rotting meat must taste like) and my stomach feels like it has a band around it. Are these normal symptoms for everybody? I am going to speak to my physician later in the month but real users comments woudl help.
i have been on paxil, wellbutrin and now cymbalta. became depressed 5 years ago and stopped running my 6 miles. Gained 40 pounds. Got RLS. Couldn't sleep. Doc fixed RLS. Doc gave me xanax to sleep. and topomax (topamax) for weight. can't seem to remember to take my pills regularly. i forget. remember the dog's pills; but not mine. no bad symptoms -- no tingling or headaches. but weight just keeps piling on. am getting more depressed. keep waiting for my life to start.  
Viewing 1-200 comments: