Topomax, Weightloss,SideEffects,Pros
Please share on how you have been effected by using Topamax.How long have you used it?Why?Have you had any side effects?And if so to what extreem.What other medications do you take along with Topomax.Has you family noticed any differences in you?

On that note let me introduce myself.My name is Davette.I have been on Topomax about 31/2months.I have migrains and seizures.I have been extremely effected by the side effects.Mostly memory and spelling.I have tingling in the fingers and toes.I also have little appetite and have lost 17lbs.Witch is great for me. I am over weight.I am tired more than normal,but i did sleep alot due to migrains.I do have more side effects and stuff,but I wont over load you all at once.I know this sounds like alot, but it has gotten better as time goes on. I have started to level off and become more normal.I dont feel the tingles as much and i have more of an appetite (darn)he he.I have less migrains down from 18 days a month to about 7 or 8 at the most.I am happy about that.Please feel free to ask any questions and talk about your self. we can help each other out.
Where are you I miss talking to you!!!We topomax users need to stick together.Davette.
Hello its Sallie Iv been on topamax since December iv lost 34 lbs. i went off of effexor for depresion , b.p. meds, meridia, serequel to sleep. i had alote of family pass away close togather.we found out my husband had cancer. i had to have a complet hysterectomy @ 31.alote of things at once. i started having real bad headaces every day ,they would start around 4:00 and would not go away untill i would go to sleep.i tried to go off of topamax but they came right back.i take 200 mg. a day.i take that and a multi vitamin every day now thats it.soda still tast funny the pins and needels feelings left along time ago.i do bruise real easy and my scalp is realy itchy and dry  all the time.im also starting to have some break threw headaces.good luck every one !!!
What do you mean by break threw headaches? I have had more headaches than before. In the first months i had one a month. now it is more,but still nothing like before the topomax.I am jellouse about the weightloss.I am so sorry to here about your family.Life gives us headaches.I really hope you are doing better.I am here if you need a friend. I have less tingling now also.I have not had the soda effect though. I still can drink a gallon a day with no problem.I wish it tasted bad.keep in touch.Davette
hello! when i first started med my headaces went away completly,i had them every day, now they are starting to come back alittle.how much do you take a day? i take 200mg a day.100 in am and 100 in pm.with the weight your catching up fast!are you the one that does the tredmill? reading the diffrent topamax forums.good luck!!!
Yes i am the one that did the treadmill,but honestly i have been so tired that i have tottally given up.I take 100mg.My doctor is hesitant to go up at all.Davette
I am 33 and have been on SSRI meds for deoression since 2000.  Before meds, I never weighed more than 130.  I now weigh 178.  My psychiatrist has offered Topomax to me as an option to deal with both my weight gain and depression.

As much as I want to lose weight, the list of side effects for Topomax scares me.  My current med, Effexor/Lithium has side effects such as weight gain, constipation, tremor, etc.  While I hate being fat, blurry vision ans brain fog don't appeal to me either.  Of course there are also the risks of diabetes and heart disease from being overweight too.

I'm having a very hard time deciding about this.  Any advice is welcome.
eveyone is different ,but the best thing i have ever done was to go off of effexor!it took two years of my life away. i did not leave the house ,i was not myself.i have 4 children i missed out on alote of games ,sports and just plane fun stuff with them. i went from 123lbs way up.effexor is very,very,very hard to withdrawl from though.i was put on it when i had alote of deaths in my family close togather.i started topamax for headaces, as of yesterday i have lost 36 lbs. the only time i ever weighed more than 123 was if i was pregnant.@ 123 that was soon after haveing my 4th child. my normal weight from around the age 13 untill 29 was between 103-113 @5foot4. good luck!!
Hi Sorry I have been so bussy that I have neglected the site.I have been doing so good.I wanted to tell you how well the topomax is going.I switched the times I take my medication.I take it durring the day and not at night.Unlike most I dont get tired from this medication.When I take it I am energized.So I have learned how to deal with the med.I Would tell you though that even durring the bad times with topomax it is better than with out.I can only tell you from my experience that my reason for the med was for headaches but has helped ultimately with my temper....,weight and other things.I do have side effects.but heck to me they arnt worse then head aches.hope i helped a little ..
i am soooo glad to hear that you are doing good !!!
i hope things stay well for you ,great luck to you!!
i love the headaces being gone :)
hello i was just put on that topomax last monday starting @ 25mg.  do you have to be on a certain diet to lose weight from this medication.  can someone help me out please.
Hey you guys! just started topamax 10 days ago and am almost to 200mg. a day.  I have lost about 5 lbs.  And Dr. Peppers burn the heck outta my throat.  But i have also been a nervous wreck cause of fam. issues so maybe thats why i can't eat- anywho, i have bad tingling in my feet and i am also wondering if there is a specific diet to follow in order to lose weight on this med.  Has helped w/ my migraines, has also made me sleepy.  I also take zoloft and yasmin.  Does anyone know if there is an increased risk for blood clots while on this, i tend to be a worrier and i just want to know from someone who knows whats up?  thanks!
Yes, at times I have tingling in my hands and feet and I have some problems concentrating , and recalling the correct word but when I weight that against have 25 headaches amonth verses 5 its worth it. I did lose 17 lbs but I also became a vegetarain and exerise over an hour every day. I an a teacher so I have to function in the clssroom and learn new curriculum every year.In addition, I train other teachers in my distict in my building so I have to be in front of other people speaking a all times so if I sound stupid it would show.People don't tell me I sound stupid.
you do sound stupid!!!  

not!!!! I am about to start on this topamax and I wonder what is going to happen.
this is my first time,so help me please!!  please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
200mg a day after 10 days... thats way to much.
With Topomax you start low and progress slow!

Start with 25mg and progress with 25mg a week.
So now you should be on 50mg (and not 200)

By the way, all CO2 drinks will taste like hell.

The same goes for food and coffee.

Some small tests also sugest it helps against alcohol and nicotine abuse.

But in the US it's not allowed for that....!

albert
Effexor is evil.  I was using it after the loss of my sister and my uterus.  I went off Effexor and went on Topomax and I've lost 30 lbs.  I lost my appetite at first (good riddance) and had a minimal amount of tingling in my fingertips, but this stuff has been great.  The headaches have improved and I can't wait until the FDA officially approves it for weight loss.  So what if the soda tastes bad.  Who needs it.

Julie
I just started my dosage of Topomax. I took 25mg last night and 25mg this morning. I am at work and I am already having the "pins and needles" sensation in my hands and fingers. Its really hard to concentrate on work. I have missed alot of time due to this migraines. I have been in and out of the doctors office for the past 2 weeks, and in the ER once. I have another doc appt on Friday. I hope this Topomax works. I am not so happy about this feeling in my hands though, because I need to be able to concentrate. How long, on average, does this last?
anyone start on 25mg and have more headaches than before meds?
I am going to my doctor on Friday and am looking for help with "panic attacks"  more like clostraphobia (okay I don't know how to spell it, I just experience it!)  I was talking to a friend and she has been on it for awhile for the headaches, and all around stress related reasons.  She says it has helped in every way.  I am currently taking Celexa, but that seems to have stopped working lately.  Is anyone taking it for "anxiety"?

Thanks,  
Laura
Hi Laura!

Karen here. Just reading this cuz I just started 2 days ago (tonight w/b my 3rd dose). I have been under mega stress....and have gained 25# on Lexapro (thnx, doc....ex-doc, actually!). Went to new doc, told him about headaches which are occurring weekly now, and last anywhere from 1 - 3 days - to hosp twice in 6mos. Anyhow, you asked about anxiety, and I can tell you that I was telling my new doc my 'story' ....all the 'stuff' goin' on in my life....and I was shaking and crying. Did he prescribe for anxiety? Well, he said it would help w/ 1) headaches 2) weight and 3) anxiety, so I'd have to say yes. We'll see how it actually works.

So far, no tingling for me. Don't drink sodas, so no worry there. If this Does help w/ the anxiety attacks I've been having, I may just have to kiss that doc! ha

Take care!

Karen
I Just started taking 75 mg of topamax 5 days ago. I have had migrains for years. Does this stuff work?  Is it worth all these side effects? If it makes the headache stop from forming I will take any side effect!!!!
New User,
Susie