Topomax, Weightloss,SideEffects,Pros
Please share on how you have been effected by using Topamax.How long have you used it?Why?Have you had any side effects?And if so to what extreem.What other medications do you take along with Topomax.Has you family noticed any differences in you?

On that note let me introduce myself.My name is Davette.I have been on Topomax about 31/2months.I have migrains and seizures.I have been extremely effected by the side effects.Mostly memory and spelling.I have tingling in the fingers and toes.I also have little appetite and have lost 17lbs.Witch is great for me. I am over weight.I am tired more than normal,but i did sleep alot due to migrains.I do have more side effects and stuff,but I wont over load you all at once.I know this sounds like alot, but it has gotten better as time goes on. I have started to level off and become more normal.I dont feel the tingles as much and i have more of an appetite (darn)he he.I have less migrains down from 18 days a month to about 7 or 8 at the most.I am happy about that.Please feel free to ask any questions and talk about your self. we can help each other out.
Where are you I miss talking to you!!!We topomax users need to stick together.Davette.
Hello its Sallie Iv been on topamax since December iv lost 34 lbs. i went off of effexor for depresion , b.p. meds, meridia, serequel to sleep. i had alote of family pass away close togather.we found out my husband had cancer. i had to have a complet hysterectomy @ 31.alote of things at once. i started having real bad headaces every day ,they would start around 4:00 and would not go away untill i would go to sleep.i tried to go off of topamax but they came right back.i take 200 mg. a day.i take that and a multi vitamin every day now thats it.soda still tast funny the pins and needels feelings left along time ago.i do bruise real easy and my scalp is realy itchy and dry  all the time.im also starting to have some break threw headaces.good luck every one !!!
What do you mean by break threw headaches? I have had more headaches than before. In the first months i had one a month. now it is more,but still nothing like before the topomax.I am jellouse about the weightloss.I am so sorry to here about your family.Life gives us headaches.I really hope you are doing better.I am here if you need a friend. I have less tingling now also.I have not had the soda effect though. I still can drink a gallon a day with no problem.I wish it tasted bad.keep in touch.Davette
hello! when i first started med my headaces went away completly,i had them every day, now they are starting to come back alittle.how much do you take a day? i take 200mg a day.100 in am and 100 in pm.with the weight your catching up fast!are you the one that does the tredmill? reading the diffrent topamax forums.good luck!!!
Yes i am the one that did the treadmill,but honestly i have been so tired that i have tottally given up.I take 100mg.My doctor is hesitant to go up at all.Davette
I am 33 and have been on SSRI meds for deoression since 2000.  Before meds, I never weighed more than 130.  I now weigh 178.  My psychiatrist has offered Topomax to me as an option to deal with both my weight gain and depression.

As much as I want to lose weight, the list of side effects for Topomax scares me.  My current med, Effexor/Lithium has side effects such as weight gain, constipation, tremor, etc.  While I hate being fat, blurry vision ans brain fog don't appeal to me either.  Of course there are also the risks of diabetes and heart disease from being overweight too.

I'm having a very hard time deciding about this.  Any advice is welcome.
eveyone is different ,but the best thing i have ever done was to go off of effexor!it took two years of my life away. i did not leave the house ,i was not myself.i have 4 children i missed out on alote of games ,sports and just plane fun stuff with them. i went from 123lbs way up.effexor is very,very,very hard to withdrawl from though.i was put on it when i had alote of deaths in my family close togather.i started topamax for headaces, as of yesterday i have lost 36 lbs. the only time i ever weighed more than 123 was if i was pregnant.@ 123 that was soon after haveing my 4th child. my normal weight from around the age 13 untill 29 was between 103-113 @5foot4. good luck!!
Hi Sorry I have been so bussy that I have neglected the site.I have been doing so good.I wanted to tell you how well the topomax is going.I switched the times I take my medication.I take it durring the day and not at night.Unlike most I dont get tired from this medication.When I take it I am energized.So I have learned how to deal with the med.I Would tell you though that even durring the bad times with topomax it is better than with out.I can only tell you from my experience that my reason for the med was for headaches but has helped ultimately with my temper....,weight and other things.I do have side effects.but heck to me they arnt worse then head aches.hope i helped a little ..
i am soooo glad to hear that you are doing good !!!
i hope things stay well for you ,great luck to you!!
i love the headaces being gone :)
hello i was just put on that topomax last monday starting @ 25mg.  do you have to be on a certain diet to lose weight from this medication.  can someone help me out please.
Hey you guys! just started topamax 10 days ago and am almost to 200mg. a day.  I have lost about 5 lbs.  And Dr. Peppers burn the heck outta my throat.  But i have also been a nervous wreck cause of fam. issues so maybe thats why i can't eat- anywho, i have bad tingling in my feet and i am also wondering if there is a specific diet to follow in order to lose weight on this med.  Has helped w/ my migraines, has also made me sleepy.  I also take zoloft and yasmin.  Does anyone know if there is an increased risk for blood clots while on this, i tend to be a worrier and i just want to know from someone who knows whats up?  thanks!
Yes, at times I have tingling in my hands and feet and I have some problems concentrating , and recalling the correct word but when I weight that against have 25 headaches amonth verses 5 its worth it. I did lose 17 lbs but I also became a vegetarain and exerise over an hour every day. I an a teacher so I have to function in the clssroom and learn new curriculum every year.In addition, I train other teachers in my distict in my building so I have to be in front of other people speaking a all times so if I sound stupid it would show.People don't tell me I sound stupid.
you do sound stupid!!!  

not!!!! I am about to start on this topamax and I wonder what is going to happen.
this is my first time,so help me please!!  please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
200mg a day after 10 days... thats way to much.
With Topomax you start low and progress slow!

Start with 25mg and progress with 25mg a week.
So now you should be on 50mg (and not 200)

By the way, all CO2 drinks will taste like hell.

The same goes for food and coffee.

Some small tests also sugest it helps against alcohol and nicotine abuse.

But in the US it's not allowed for that....!

albert
Effexor is evil.  I was using it after the loss of my sister and my uterus.  I went off Effexor and went on Topomax and I've lost 30 lbs.  I lost my appetite at first (good riddance) and had a minimal amount of tingling in my fingertips, but this stuff has been great.  The headaches have improved and I can't wait until the FDA officially approves it for weight loss.  So what if the soda tastes bad.  Who needs it.

Julie
I just started my dosage of Topomax. I took 25mg last night and 25mg this morning. I am at work and I am already having the "pins and needles" sensation in my hands and fingers. Its really hard to concentrate on work. I have missed alot of time due to this migraines. I have been in and out of the doctors office for the past 2 weeks, and in the ER once. I have another doc appt on Friday. I hope this Topomax works. I am not so happy about this feeling in my hands though, because I need to be able to concentrate. How long, on average, does this last?
anyone start on 25mg and have more headaches than before meds?
I am going to my doctor on Friday and am looking for help with "panic attacks"  more like clostraphobia (okay I don't know how to spell it, I just experience it!)  I was talking to a friend and she has been on it for awhile for the headaches, and all around stress related reasons.  She says it has helped in every way.  I am currently taking Celexa, but that seems to have stopped working lately.  Is anyone taking it for "anxiety"?

Thanks,  
Laura
Hi Laura!

Karen here. Just reading this cuz I just started 2 days ago (tonight w/b my 3rd dose). I have been under mega stress....and have gained 25# on Lexapro (thnx, doc....ex-doc, actually!). Went to new doc, told him about headaches which are occurring weekly now, and last anywhere from 1 - 3 days - to hosp twice in 6mos. Anyhow, you asked about anxiety, and I can tell you that I was telling my new doc my 'story' ....all the 'stuff' goin' on in my life....and I was shaking and crying. Did he prescribe for anxiety? Well, he said it would help w/ 1) headaches 2) weight and 3) anxiety, so I'd have to say yes. We'll see how it actually works.

So far, no tingling for me. Don't drink sodas, so no worry there. If this Does help w/ the anxiety attacks I've been having, I may just have to kiss that doc! ha

Take care!

Karen
I Just started taking 75 mg of topamax 5 days ago. I have had migrains for years. Does this stuff work?  Is it worth all these side effects? If it makes the headache stop from forming I will take any side effect!!!!
New User,
Susie
I just stopped taking Topamax 2 weeks ago... if I start taking it again, will I lose weight the same as when I first started takign it?  Or will I have built up a tolerance to all the side effects, bot positive (weight loss) and negative?
This is so great to read your experiences.  I just started this to help with severe headaches.  In anyone's experience does it work?  Is it worth the risk of side effects?  I started at 25mg. 3 days now 25mg. 2 x a day for a week working up to 100mg/day.  Looking forward to the weight loss part - have lots to lose!  Have tried many things in the past for headaches.  The soda thing is interesting.  I love Coke and took a sip yesterday and couldn't drink it cuz it tasted weird.  Never occurred to me it could be the meds.  Thanks for any info. Wendy
I am taking Topamax for Epilepsy and am on a schedule to inscrease the dosage to like 200 or something like that. I used to take Carbatrol but had break through seizures and carbatrol can be bad for your liver which worried me. The side effects are driving me mad though, my feet are constantly falling asleep whenever I cross my legs or put my foot on my knee and the tingling is worse in my face then in my fingers. Everyone talks about being tired but I couldn't sleep if you beat me with a wet noodle and I often wake up in the middle of the night with a wrestless feeling in my legs. I don't mind losing weight but I enjoy food, it's part of the joy of life. My stomach seems to remember this but my mouth has forgotten, nothing sounds good anymore. I can't even nap. It's driving me crazy. I could stand it but for this feeling in my face. Perhaps it will fade with time.
I have been taking Topamax for 2 months now.   I have been loosing weight as well.  My headaches have gotten much better.  I am only taking 50 mg a day.  I have been getting headaches again here lately, but i think it is sinus'.  I can't tell.  I have been very irritated.  Very, very tired.  Can't get enough sleep.  6 hours sure isn't enough.  I have been having diareaha as well every day.  Not good.   Stomach bloating or cramps.  I am taking Lexapro 20 mg a day and love it except I don't get mad over anything anymore ha ha.  I can't drink sodas anymore either.  Not that I drank them much anyhow.  I won't stop drinking my coffee for nothing though!!!  Does the weight loss and diareaha eventually stop and when?  and When should I increase my dosage?

My doctor and I are working on meds to help with my migraines and she mentioned Topamax.  I wanted to research the side effects and compair it to Verapamil.  Honestly I would do anything to get rid of these migraines - I've even told my doctor I would shave my head if I needed to!!!  So do you think it is the Topamax that is affecting your stomach & irritated feeling?  I have PMS problems, so the irritation does not need to be aggrivated!!!
I am on Topomax specifically for weight loss.  I take 25mg a day.  I have lost 28lbs in 10 months.  From 150 to 122.  I actually GOT headaches from the Topomax.  Probably because I didn't have migraines in the first place.  My doctor told me that when I feel the pins and needles in my fingers and toes to drink more water.  This does take it away.  Also, the foggyness does go away.  My doctor feels that Topomax sucks thyroid out of you.  If you notice alot of hair in the shower when you wash your hair, really cold hands, really tired in the afternoon, restless sleep patterns along with weightloss I strongly suggest getting on thyroid.  It will turn you around.
Topomax does help migraines, but it does take time and adjustment of dose. Also you might have to go up and down to find the right dose if you tend to have depression, or if you notice it causing some depression, but that will go away.

I've been on it 3 times - each time electing to go off for various reasons - this time I'm on to stay because it helps the migraines. I have PMDD, but Topomax doesn't make me irritable. If you find yourself irritable, your doctor can give you something during the time when you're most irritable, just to get you through that. I found Lamictal to be a godsend to even out my moods, and I'm not
bi-polar - but there are side effects, and not everyone can take it because in a small percentage of people it can cause Stevens Johnson syndrome. I tried 25 mg Seroquel during my periods, and it evened me out, but was too sedating.  You and your doctor will find the right combo with some experimenting. So don't let that keep you from trying Topomax - worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and quit.

Make sure to drink plenty of water because Topomax can cause stones - not just kidney stones. And if you find yourself forming one, drink lemonade to acidify your system. Make it with real lemon juice and artificial sweetner to taste - the acid will keep the stones from forming. My doctor told me to drink my water with a lemon wedge or squeeze of lemon all the time, that way I'm sure to keep a little acid in my system.

Good luck VickiJo
I am still trying to get used to Topomax. Its still very hard. I upped the dose to 100mg a day. I am having the tingling, my scalp is flaky, I have very little appetite (yay), but no sex drive (not good for my fiance), I cant sleep, I am very restless. I like this drug because it keeps me at work. Before it, I could not work, I would miss work all the time due to my migraines. They would last for weeks. I almost lost my job. Now I am at work all the time and doing very well, other than the fact that I cant sleep at night. I have a lost a little bit of weight. I am drinking plenty of water, always did, even before this medicine though. I am open to any suggestions to anything that will help me. Does this help with depression? It seems to be causing mine to get worse...?
At this time i am not taking topomax for migraines.I took it for 1 1/2 years I had tingling I found that I had to drink alot of water. at least 64 ounces everyday. sweet things tasted sweeter and I lacked an appetite.not a bad thing for me.I crie easily about actually nothing expaining things was most difficult. I got very depressed and had thoughts I have never before experienced in my life. I felt like I could'nt catch up with myself. and the drs. just kept putting me on meds for my side effects. It made me confused and also frustated. I finally went off the med because my husband knew that was what was happening and now I am med free I deal with the headaches and I do experience blurred vision before I get one and that never happened before.I thank-God that my husband had that good sense . my thinking is now more clear and I am able to work,and I care whether I have freinds or not. I am not depressed and I do have stresses in my life. but I am able to deal with them. I hope this helps . but do remember I am not a dr.  
Hi, I was just put on topomax today,but unlike you all not for migraines. I had brain surgery for Trigeminal Neuralgia in Sept 2006 and still suffer daily with facial pain on average of a 7. I am on Neurontin, Tegretol, trileptal, seraquel, cymbalta, protonics, atenenol and clonopin also. I am always in pain, constipated, either sleep for days or dont sleep at all for days. I am so messed up by this pain. I have not worked in 2 years and my life is basically just falling apart. I saw that you all mentioned weight loss and I could really use that considering I have gained 50 pounds since this all started mostly due to lack of leaving the house and all the meds. I totally understand what you mean about depression. I don't leave the house unless I have an appointment, I have missed my sons schools activities as well as family things and holildays. It really stinks and I am hoping this medication does something for me. Any suggestions for me please feel free to tell me because the dr didn't really tell me anything about this medication and I am a wreck reading everything on the internet about it. my email is ***@****
Hi, I was on Topomax a couple of years old and quit it due to side affects mostly fuzzy feeling and off balance feeling when I moved to quickly.  I was so disappointed for having to discontue it because it helped so much with my decrease in appetite.  I was taking the very minimal dose but still chose to discontine.  I several months ago asked my doctor to put me on it again for appetite control but unfortunately it is not affecting my appetite at all this time.  I am also taking Triliptal though. I recently heard  and have just confirmed with my pharmicist  hat the Topomax is not working this time because the two meds do Not go together.  The Tripital causes a certain ingredient in the Topomax to release faster than it should so therefore not staying in the body long enough for the benefit of takiing the medicine. Any info from others would be helpful.  since Topomax and Tripital are both mood medicatons I have a decision to make.  I too have a weight problem
Hello this is my first time using this web site. Its about my mom who takes topomax for migraines and seizers. Shes been on it for 4 years. and is now trying to get off it with doctors help. They cut her down to half a day for a week then none after that, Its been two says and shes in alot of pain. her legs feet and etc. are painful and also feel like bugs crawling on her body. She has lost ALOT of weight and is down to 101 pounds. she is 58 and having alot of problems. anyhelp will do. I am 34 and my mom is my life. Please help I I pray for all that is having any problems of this sort. Thank you Meda
I just found this forum today and your experiences sound very similar to mine.  I have been on topomax (my family is calling it dopamax because I am having so much trouble accessing my former vocabulary) for almost five weeks.  The tingling in my hands and esp feet is nearly constant and my nights are very long - very restless.  I have not noticed a difference in my appetite and that little benefit is the one thing that keeps me willing to stick with it, although not the primary purpose for me.  How are you doing now? It's been some time since you posted?  are you improving?  I would love to see people update their progress.  My family is enouraging me to stop this drug because of the cognitive issues - the say that I "used to have a bwain".  Honestly, I have not noticed any positive effects yet.  I am taking it for chronic pain and depression.

yetismommy
I was on topamax for 3 years for my migraines and seziures and I have not been on it for a while now due to the fact i lost my job and i no longer have insurance. It worked wonderful for me I am really suffering now I have migraines and seziures all the time because I can not afford the medication. I hope that everyone continues to be ok and I pray for everyones strenght and healing.
I have been on topamax for 4 months before topamax I was having a headache every freaking day since 2001 after having a nervous breakdown and depression. then i started with a headache every day. didnt have the money to go see no real doctor but in april they were getting so bad i had to do something as soon as i started topamax my headaches disappered of course  i really them disapper but the side effects was the tingling in my feet i couldnt drink anything with caffeine and barely could eat but i kept taking it so now 8/09/07 i literally had to stop taking it cause i couldnt function at work. it was like if i didnt sleep a total of 8 to 10hrs after taking topamax i felt like i was going to throw up and i fall out. So after losing 3days of work cause of the topamax in my system I just stop taking it. I need to go back to the doctor but what do yall think it could come from? and no i am not pregnant that is a diffently no.
First of all, Topomax is a drug!!! Surprised? I knew you would be. It will change the way you feel and function DRAMATICALLY! You cannot expect it to work the day, week, or even month that you begin taking it, nor will it affect you in such a manner after just one day. As with any medication, your physician should have counseled you. It could take up to three months before you notice any positive changes. In most cases the side effects will subside or become less severe over time. Some of you mentioned “break-through” headaches/ migraines; or getting an occasional migraine here and there. Topomax is meant to LESSEN THE FREQUENCY, not get rid of the migraines completely. If you are experiencing one less migraine a week than before, then it is technically working for you. Anyone who really suffers from migraines will agree that 4 a week would be better than 5. I experienced most of the same side effects that all of you listed here:  tingling in the hands, fingers, feet, and toes, combined with changing my birth control at the same time I started Topomax, the depression was a suicide cocktail, a severe lack of concentration (I actually failed my Psychology class), not to mention after driving to the same place for three weeks in a row, I still had to ask the other person in the car how to get there: DOPAMAX? I’d say so! Word recall was a nightmare, and I still have trouble with that one sometimes, and beer, oh how I miss my beer. Yes, carbonated beverages will taste absolutely horrible. I try them every now and then to see if it has subsided, no such luck! One good thing about that though is the calories I’m sparing, along with my loss of appetite. I know it’s highly recommended, but I didn’t even want to drink water most of the time, much less eat, but I did because you have to eat. That aspect has worn off a little. I crave fruit all the time. I drink a lot more water. But I have lost a total of about 20 pounds since I started Topomax back in September of '06. Everyone thinks I have an eating disorder, and they say my face looks like that of a drug addict. I’m 5’5” and going from 150 to 128, is a big change. I was on Verapamil for a little over a year, and it just stopped working one day, I have no idea why. Then the doc put me on Elavil for my migraines, but didn’t tell me that it would actually increase my appetite, until I went back and asked him why I was putting peanut butter on the remote???? Just kidding. Of course I cannot speak for everyone because all of us react differently and the combination of meds you're taking will change the way you react specifically.  I can say for me Topomax is GREAT! It is one of the only meds I know of that will “nearly” get rid of my migraines and once you give it some time to let it do it’s magic and let the side effects subside- I think you will all be very happy with the results, and maybe even lose a little weight. ;-)
My name is Kahlee, I'm 21 and I am currently taking Lamictal for Epilepsy.  I also suffer from depression and am taking Zoloft.  I have had a lot of trouble lately with my physical health (persistent infections and immune deficiency) - but have thought for some time that the Lamictal could be contributing to a consistent feeling of extreme lethargy, dizziness, headaches and light-headedness.  After talking to my psychiatrist today,  I am considering switching to Topomax, however I am concerned that this could worsen the side effects that I feel I am having with the Lamictal.  My neurologist is hesitant to change my medication, as upon initial diagnosis of the epilepsy, I tried 2 other medications (Tegratol and Epilim) - neither of which controlled the epilepsy.  I am really open to any advice from anyone at all!! Especially if they have been in a similar situation - but even if you haven't!  I am a mining engineer and I work 12 hour days (although I've been off work for 6 weeks with this recent bout of illnesses).  I am concerned about the loss in concentration - but I am not sure if I should let my apprehensions talk me out of a potential benefit in my quality of life.  Like I said - any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Has anyone ever experience your skin being sensitive to the sun being on Topomax?  I am on 100 mg for migraines and am beginning to get blotchy tans on my face.  I am also on Lamictal for seizures and Lexapro (10mg) for some current depression.  Thanks!
I'm new to this site and would like to get some feedback from people on Topamax.  I had been on Paxil for depression for 6+ years.  I gained quite a bit of weight during that time (I'm 5'9 and 235# and 63 years old)  (I also have diabetes and HBP which is related to the weight gain)  I recently weaned myself off Paxil over a 2 month period.   My depression is somewhat re-appearing.  Someone suggested St. John's Wort, but I have been reading that it interferes with the diabetes meds.   My doctor suggested Topamax as a way to counteract depression AND to lose some weight, which is important for my overall health.   I am hesitant to initiate yet another chemical into my system unless I know I can expect good results with minimal side effects.   Any words of wisdom?  

Bobach
I have been on topomax for the past two weeks and have to say I almost gave up. I was suffering from more "light" headaches than before the meds but they seem to have gone away. I drink atleast 32 oz of water everyday no matter what. I haven't had any tingling I have experienced the soda taste just this past weekend I drink soda seldom so I thought I just happend to have an expired diet coke on my hands:) I have had the loss of appetite but I make myself eat a salad for dinner I am worried a bit about kidney stones and because my mother was a diabetic and died of heart faluire just three years ago I worry that it's in my future so I take several vitamins including a multi-complex vitamin B, garlic (twice a day) chromium 350mg, biotin and a diabetes vitamin packet as well as prozac for depression. I'm not sure how these all interchange with eachother but I have decided my only option for the daily headaches to go away is to give the topamax atleast 6 months time to work. My doctore also gave me a RX for Imitrex when migranes come on and of course that works immediately. anyone else taking vitamins on a regular basis or prozac with topamax?
Bubblegirl123
I havent noticed any weighht loss, and I am on my second month... but I do love this pill. It has gotten rid of my headaches... all of them. However, I can not drink beer, or coffee, but I am willing to give those up, sometimes I just have to remind myself of how miserable I was with the headaches. Plus, I  can still drink Vodka and wine. I was never a big soda drinker. But I do like Topomax, it has done wonders for getting rid of my headaches. I take 100 mg/ day, 50mg in the morning, 50mg at night, but i try to take the night ones during dinner because if I take them too late, maybe past 8pm, I wont be able to sleep well.
Wow! Just reading these stories has told me more about the side effects than my research has(Topamax). I, too, have been taking Effexor since 2002. I have not have weight gain problems, but had major problems just getting on the stuff. Now that I am on it, I don't want to mess w/ it. Tried that with paxil after 11 years of taking. HORRIBLE Stuff! I just received my first prescription for Topamax today and I think you all have prepared me as much as possible. Thank you for all your comments as it will help me to be more prepared for whatever hitd. As for any one here going through rough times, I emapathize enormously from my experiences. As my mom always says,This too shall Pass." All I have to say is thank GOD for Medication! By the way, I was prescribed Topomax as a mood stablizer on top of the Effexor and Welbutrin that I already take. I have severe Depression Disorder and hope that this medication can pull me out of this Rut!
As far as the young lady taking the Yasmin and Zoloft, the only increase risk for blood clots is from the Yasim and usually if you smoke or /and over the age of 35. Zoloft has no know side effects of blood clots or Topamax. I take this for anxiety as well. Any other comments are appreciated. Thank for the support.  amy  
I cannot relate to Epilepsy, however, Depression can also lead to some actual physical and medical issues(immune problems) I can say from experience, that if you feel like your depression might not be as undercontrol, maybe a change in ant-depresants might be something to look into. I am not sure of what illnesses you are going through and I am sorry to hear that. Zoloft is an older drug and a very mild one at that. There are new types of anti-depressants out their that also deal w/ chronic pain(more for diabetic neuropathy), but who knows what all else is out their. Also, It might be a good idea to jave your Thyroid levels taken as well as tests for anemia, I know a lot of these drugs are not good for people with Hypothyroidism and can also affect your blood-platelet levels, wich can also open you up to a more weaker immune system. I hope all works out for you. Best advise I can give is, no matter what Doctor you are seeing, you need to have a voice as well persistance! Best of luck. Keep us posted
Amy
As I was reading your comments and concerns for the issues, not to mention all the medication you are taking, a couple things came to mind. First of all, What other medical problems do you suffer from and what are you taking specifically for pain management? I am not familiar with the type of Brain surgery you under went, and empathize with your suffering. If you could let me know a little more(if there is more) about pain pills or a pain management type of program you are in. I Might have some great resources for you! I hope to hear from you again on in this chat /comment are. Hope you are at least on the right path to recovery. Hang in there. God Bless
Amy
Hi Amy.  Thanks heaps for your comments.   You sure sound like you know what your talking about!!  Are you in the medical profession, or have you just learnt a lot from your own experiences?  I am trying to start researching about my different problems a little more as I get older, because when you're younger I think that you just follow what the doctor and your parents say, whereas I'm now old enough to start questioning whether that course of treatment is in my best interests - by identifying the pros and cons etc... So if you have any resources particularly related to depression - I would really appreciate any assistance!!  I am seeing my psychiatrist, immunologist and neurologist all next week (should be a good week!!) - so hopefully I can discuss some of the points you mentioned with them and try to come up with some answers.  i hope that you are starting to feel better soon and are coming out of your rut... I definately know what that is like... A good friend of mine told me that I should always keep something that has truly happy memories attached to it - like a present from a best friend, or a photo of a loved one - on me at all times, so that when I start to get really down (I have suffered from suicidal thoughts and tendancies on numerous occasions) - I just look at that item and remember the happy memories that it holds... So I keep a photo of my GORGEOUS nephew with me at all times - he's 18 months and is my little star - I love  him to bits and could never let him down... I hope you're feeling better soon. And I'd love to keep in touch.  Thanks again!
hey bubblegirl,
i also take vitamins, minerals and supplements. i use pharmanex products....8 pills a days and gac juice...its an antioxidant. i work out and use protein powder 2-3 times a week. not sure how all this affects my topamax just yet as tonight is my 7th day on it. i started with 50 mg on days 1-3 and increased to 100mg from days 4-6. just started 150mg tonight, so we'll see how things go.hate the thought of being on more pills, but my migraines are debilitating!!!!!! i also take synthroid for hypothyroidism......
jenni
Thank you for your reply. It's strange that Doctors and even strangers ask if I am in the Medical proffession. I am in the "always seems to have some medical problem issue." I aspire to be a registered nurse and hope to return back to school soon. N E Way, since you are seeing a Psychiatrist and a Neurologist - both of them need to be aware of what each other is prescribing-better yet-what their treatment plan is going to be before they start you on anything. Since Psychiatrists are prescribing certain patients w/ anti-convulsants for Depression and/or anxiety problems. I myself have taken all kinds of anti-depressants and ant-anxiety medications for years. I do not suffer from manic depression which is more common in being prescibed Topomax. Gosh, when you say you have suffered from suicidals thought and tendencies, was that the reason for putting you on the Zoloft. Or ws that kind of like a side effect you had once you got on the zoloft? (Within the first 6 weeks?) I am asking because if this is recently- Topomax is used as a mood stablizer. I think that it is a great idea to carry that precious picture around. And when I was reading your comments and some of the others here-my heart ached. I know that just by you replying made me feel better inside. I pray you have a well informed and good week w/ your Doctors. I hope you get the answers you need. Please keep me posted. By the way I would have never guessed that your only 21. It is amazing how someones fight for their own health can age a person in so many ways. That is a compliment. I just don't know if I said it the way I wanted it to come out. Keep your head up. Amy
Yeh - you seem to learn a lot about various medical conditions when you see a doctor often enough and get sick often enough hey!  It's a bit sad really... :-) I am in a similar - always seem to have some medical problem - issue, so I empathise with you!  And I'm sure you will be a great nurse when you get the opportunity to return to it.  My doctors/specialists are all in touch with each other and never prescribe anything without first checking it with the neurologist mainly - as the anti-epileptic is the most important of my drugs.  It's funny you mentioned that Topomax can be used as a 'mood stabiliser' - because it was just the other day that my Psychiatrist was telling me that Lamictal is the first-stop anti-epileptic drug for people with a history of depression because it too is a mood stabiliser.  So perhaps it just doesn't have that effect on me.  I do not think I have manic depression/bipolar, as I don't think I've had a manic episode - but the psychiatrist said that manic episodes don't have to be characterised by really noticeable elevated highs - but can also be characterised by sleeplessness, insomnia, restlessness, increase in creativity, irritability etc... And I go through periods of Insomnia semi-regularly, so I guess we'll continue to work that one out.  (That's why you pay them the big bucks!!) - The lady I am seeing is great - I was a bit apprehensive about going to a Psychiatrist - for 2 reasons; 1 is because I have seen a psychologist in the past and she was really nasty and made me feel like I was an idiot for turning up and thinking that I had problems!  The other reason is that if you tell people you're seeing a Psychiatrist - I worry that they'll think I'm crazy!!  But I guess you really have to put all of that aside and look after yourself.  The suicidal thoughts have been ongoing (intermittently) for a number of years.  When I was 14 I started feeling really down - but thought it was probably a 'adolesence thing'.  When I was 16 I actually wrote suicide notes to my family and best friend - that's how close I was to the edge...and I cut myself a few times  -they were more like scratches (not very deep)...I didn't tell anyone about any of this - and it wasn't til I left school and started my first year of engineering that I decided to go to the doctor - and she immediately put me on anti-depressants.  I still get suicidal thoughts, but I can generally control them.  I hadn't done anything silly to myself since I was 16 until I was put on prednisone a few weeks ago for pneumonia, and after day 10 I had a pschotic reaction to the drug and had the worst suicidal thoughts I've ever had and cut myself fairly deeply on the forearm (not wrist) with a razor - I don't know what made me stop at that - but I'm glad I did.  So now I'm not allowed on Prednisone anymore! - A good move I think!!  Problem with that is that corticosteroids are likely a required treatment for severe allergies that I've just found out I have.  Apparently that's why I get so tired all of the time and so sick - because my immune system is spending all of its time fighting allergies that it has nothing left to give to general day-to-day care.  Unfortunately it's air-borne allergens that are causing the problem - and I work and live in the country where there are plenty of grasses and pollens - so elimination is not really an option!!  Anyhow - I will keep you posted with how I go!  Thanks for listening - it's really good to have someone to talk to who won't judge you and knows what you're going through and how you're feeling.  If I can help you with anything in anyway - let me know!  Which country do you live in by the way?  I'm in Australia. (Just thought I'd ask!) Hope you have a good few days and I'll be in touch!
I am absolutely speechless by your strength. I cannot fathom your list of medical issues and it makes me ashamed of myself for complaining of mine. I know that pity is the last thing you need or want, so I will just say this, you are obviously here for a reason beyond anything we can foresee. I am not sure if you are a spiritual or religious person, but I certainly get the feeling you are. You are going to get through all this. I just turned 30 and we (my husband and 2 boys-ages 3 and 5) just moved to Hawaii. My huband is Active Duty in the Air Force and finding a support system is difficult even under the best of circumstances. I will pray for you. And I will check this web site everyday. If you ever need to chat, just post a comment. GOD Bless. By the way- Australia has been the #1 place on earth I want to visit. Now even more so! And I thank you as well for listening too!
Amy
Thanks Amy!  And I would never underestimate the difficulties you are having.  I hate it when people act like their problems are so much worse than others - so I would never want to feel like I was doing that with you!  Each of us have our own struggles and our own abilities to deal (or not deal) with them.  I just hope that it can work out soon!  I had another episode Thursday night and cut my wrists with a razor - so I'm not in a very good way.  And to make matters worse, my idiot brother (30yrs old) asked my dad (who I'd told) why my wrist was bandaged in front of my mother - who I have worked so hard to keep it from - she can't handle stuff like that - esp the cutting - and he told the truth - I would never expect him to lie for me... Ainyway - it's just been a rough week.  I was back at work this week for the first one in 6 wks - and the actual work part was really good - it's a really great place to work!  It was just a few other things that triggered bad stuff.  But my gorgeous nephew is up here with me at the moment - so I can't wipe the smile off my face!!  I see all the doctors in only a few days - so I'll write another message after that!  Thanks heaps for your prayers - and be sure to know that you and your family are in mine also.  I hope you are doing well and we'll chat later!  Kahlee...
Thank you Kahlee. And of course you have not in any way acted in that way. It is the exact opposite. Kaylee, I wish I could take some of your suffering away from you, and to be that Doctor that firgures out the best medical treatment and having it be successful. Does your Psychiatrist know about the self-mutilation/and suicide attemps? Do you know what triggers you at that moment that you act to cut yourself. I know it is usually a way to get an overload of feelings out, and for some reason you feel better afterward. Or is it a way to punish yourself for some reason, I cannot imagine that, but would you recognize it if it were?Please tell me that you promise to call someone or go somewhere before you react buy cutting. I know what your going though. I cannot say enough how sorry I am for all your heart ache and troubles. I am very happy to hear you returned to work. It is another support system for you, and it is a way to keep your mind busy with something else. And your little nephew-I am grateful he is there w/ you. Your too sweet! I hope you hear from you soon. Take care of your self
amy  
My former neurologist never thought Topomax would be a fit for me with the type of job I had, but I recently relocated to a new state and was referred to a new Neurologist.  This MD is not as fussy about the fit between lifestyle and drug side effects and put me on Topomax to deal with Migraines about 2 weeks ago.  I am not up to full dosage yet (only at 50 mg & he is hoping to ramp me up to 200mg per day) & I am done with this junk.  The tingling, loss of memory, crappy taste of soda & beer & other side effects I can deal with. BUT I drive 30 miles each way to work & have had 3 near miss accidents since going on this stuff.  I told the MD what my commute was like - heavy traffic that required full attention & he said I should be able to get used to it.  Yesterday I nearly killed myself & other innocent drivers  because I forgot where I was & suddenly changed lanes for no reason without looking or signaling in bumper to bumper traffic.  It is lucky that others were paying attention for idiots like me.  I have driven for 37 years with out a single accident or traffic citation but the last 2 weeks have been pure hell.  I'm done with this drug.  It isn't safe for people who have to be out in the real world.  I have 3 to 5 severe migraines per week & it has done nothing to lessen them, I think it has actually made then worse.  After reading some of the posts. I don't care how great the drug is for weight loss, I'm no longer an employee that is with it & paying attention & can't afford to lose my job either because I am stoned out of my mind on something that really isn't helping the migraine situation at all.  I'd rather deal with the pain and be alert than be clueless and causing death and destruction because I am suffering from a drug induced memory loss.
Hey Amy,  I am not really sure what is going on in my head when it happens - if I did, I would stop, but I just don't know what it is that triggers it - one minute I'm happy as larry - and the next I'm in a world of trouble.  The psyhc only knows about the first one because I thought it was a reaction to Prednisone.  I will tell her tomorrow about this latest business.  But now that my whole family knows - things are a lot more complex...  Oh well!!  How are you going lately?  Anything exciting happening over your way?
How do you manage to drive any distance much less keep a job with 3-5 migraines per week?  Are they just bad headaches or true migraines with light and noise sensitivity, throbbing, nausea, etc?  When I get a migraine I can't do anything but lay in bed...and usually end up in the ER.
I am with Ranger1_75, I do not know how you can drive that distance with a migraine 3-5 times per week.  Been there done that, it didn't work.  Most if not all of the side effects go away with time, with the exception of being able to drink alcohol and soda
update....so since my entry on 8/20 i've experienced the tingling-not bad but its there. my appetite has returned nothing like it was but atleast now when i smell something i want to eat now:) I have not suffered from ANY headaches for over a week now I am now on 75mg daily taken at night (make me very sleepy) and there are nights I'll be wide awake for an hour or so but ususally i sleep pretty well. I honestly feel GREAT- mood and attitude has improved tremendously and have to say that I believe its the topamax. I don't think there has been any interactions with all of the vitamins that I take I feel as though I can start exercising again. I do still have minor complications with gas and occassional diarreah (sorry I'm a horrible speller:) but I think I'm pretty happy with the pill. I don't see any reason to up the dosage. Good luck!!!!
Hey there, I am sorry I have not written lately. Kids have been an my last nerve. No, their great, just keep me on my toes.I am sorry things are so overwhelming. Did you go to you appt today. How did it go? Did you tell your Doctor everything???And were you completely honest??I want you to have my email address so that you can feel more comfortable sharing. If that is okay. And you do not have to share anything you are not comfortable talking about. I will never judge you or critisize. It it totally up to you. I would love to hear from you and am interested in how your Doctors appt went.
Take care of yourself
amy
***@****
Hi Everyone,
I have been on Topomax for maybe a year, not quite sure. I am on 400mg a day. (200mg AM and 200mg PM). I have had daily headaches and migraines about 4 times a month since I was 11. I started off with pediatric neurologists. NOTHING. Years later went through another round of docs. NOTHING. More pills. nothing. Cat Scans, MRIs, etc. I have even tried physical therapy and exercises for my neck and back. That kind of helped but you really have to stick with it. I really just wanted to give up. My migraines were debilitating. I cant see, want to throw up, cant walk or talk, etc. The doctor I am with now first tried me on Verapamil which I hated. It didnt do anything for my headaches and it made my heart race and feel funny. The Topomax gives me some side effects. I get tired in the afternoons, it comes on suddenly. I lost some wieght in the beginning but then again I started dieting around the same time also. I did have the "pins and needles" feeling in the beginning but that has stopped. My daily headaches are still here but they are as bad. I still have migraines but maybe only 1 a month. I might have 2 a month if it is a bad month. For my Migraines he prescribed me Relpax. It is an Emergency pill that I take ASAP. As soon as I feel the Migraine I pop the pill and about 45 minutes later it is gone. I have wasted 3 pills because I waited too long to take the Relpax. I think I will continue with what I am doing for now. Since I am at the MAX dose I will see how it goes for a while. Let me know if you have any feedback. Thanks
(I saw this blog on Topamax too, so I figured I'd asked my questions here too).
Hi!  I just started Topamax yesterday for migraines and weight loss. (Trying to kill two birds with one stone. ;-)  I tried the Nurontin (sp?) and it literally made me insane, so I am hoping the same doesn't happen with this.  I am in desperate need to lose the weight because I am in the military and I just had my third baby 12 weeks ago.  Needless to say, I have a good 80 pounds of excess from all three babes (gestational diabetes) that needs to go, soon and I only have about 9 months to do it, so hopefully I can.  Is there anyone on here that gained weight from taking Topamax?  I hope that doesn't happen to me, I would be so very upset!  Also, how long did you need to "fight it out" with getting use to the drug and all the side effects...3-4 weeks?
Has anyone experienced persistent nausea?
Oh and BTW - I have started Topamax for weight loss approximately 5 weeks ago. My appetite fluctuates, mostly non-existent. I have lost seven pounds. However I struggle daily with nausea. When I eat the nausea is alleviated for a while and then it comes back with a fury. I have to eat very small portions, which is not a bad thing, but the nausea is frustrating. On Monday of this week, I was diagnoised with hiatal hernia, which may play a part, I don't know. Just frustrated but I want to lose weight. I have not experienced any other side effects.
Well 2.5 days into the Land of Topamax and I woke up today for the first time with NO BACK PAIN!  I have been suffering with nerve pain in my back for 15 years and have been on every med, doc, physical thereapy, medicine man, you name it...nothing has worked.  I didn't even know Topamax would do that!  Has this happened to anyone else?  I have been crying in excitment all day.  Now, I don't have quite the loss of appetite I had hoped for but maybe it's supposed to take more time??  Migranes are okay for the moment too.  I am however very moody...VERY moody, but I am trying to wait it out and take deep breaths, little things are really getting to me.  My patentence is about 0 at the moment.  How long until this goes away?  Moodiness and a little "medicine head" (space cadet) feeling is the only real downfall so far.  How is everyone else doing today?
I have suffered from migraines for about 14 years.  During the past year they have gotten more frequent so my doctor suggested Topomax.  Since my mother is on it (and about 3 other drugs didn't work for her) I decided to try it.  I knew about the weight loss side effect and was very excited about that part of it; I could lose about 15 lbs.  I started 2 weeks ago at 25mg/night.  Now I am at 50mg x 2/day.  I have noticed the tingling in my feet and hands but nothing else.  Soda and food taste fine, appetite is normal, no memory loss, etc.  When do these side effects start happening?  I'm eager for the weight loss “side effect” since I actually want this one to happen!!  I am extremely concerned about the memory problems...if this happens I will lower the dose.  What is the average time for most side effects to kick in with this drug?
Relpax is a wonderful drug if you take it on time...but extremely expensive!!!
So you commented that you went of all your BP medicine and are only taking your Topomax?
Is that what you said it your post?
Thank you,
MC
Hi I have been reading everyones comments and I just wanted to say I too have suffered from Migraines now for 11 years.  I was diagnoised when I moved to San Diego with Migrains.  I was having them about 6 times a week sometimes they would run togeather and it seemed like they lasted for two weeks.  I have been on everything that has been mentioned up above and I have felt all the same symptoms. I think one of the hardest things is for the other family members who really don't understand what we are feeling because they have never expereinced it.  I am currently a topomax user and I am on 300 mg  I lost in the beginning 19 lbs and I also started weight watchers and I have lost another 12 lbs  I only have 9 lbs left to lose.  I have been on topomax now for 3 yrs.  I stopped loseing weight from it after 6 months of using it and every time they increase it I lose about 5 more lbs and then it levels out again.  I just love the fact that I don't live with a constant migrain anymore.  It has been a saving grace for me.
I have been on Topomax for several months; I was previously taking 50mg a day then just recently bumped up to 100mg.  That is when the tingling side effect kicked in.  How long before this levels out?  I was considering going ahead and attempting jumping on up to 200mg a day to see if I could rise above the tingling...do you think that may be a option?  I have currently lost 5 pounds in the past couple of weeks.  Headaches have been pretty well under control!  But the comatose period that I underwent when I first started the 100 mg dose was nothing that I expected and even moreso a shocker for my husband!!!  I was falling asleep every time I got still.
yes I went off of all of that stuff in the winter and early sping of 06.Now I only take topamax for migrains and estrace.
HELLO, I'M STARTING TOPOMAX FOR BACK PAIN AND NERVE PROBLEMS
IN LOWER BACK. I'M NERVEOUS ABOUT THE MEMORY LOSS, I'M 48 AND I ALREADY HAVE A MEMORY PROBLEM BECAUSE OF MENAPAUSE. I'M NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE TINGLING  IN MY HANDS AND FEET EITHER, THE POSITIVE IS THE WEIGHT LOSS, I DO NEED TO LOSE THE WEIGHT. PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND, I'M READING EVERYONES COMMENTS, AND NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED. I KNOW IT WORKS DIFFERENT FOR EVERONE, BUT I'M READING ALOT OF NEGATIVE NOT POSITIVE. THIS IS A HARD DECISION FOR ME, PLEASE GIVE ME INFO. IF ANYONE SUFFERS FROM LOWER BACK AND NERVE PAIN, I'D APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH, I NEED TO MAKE UP MY MIND ABOUT STARTING THIS MEDICATION. I'M TRYING TO AVOID A 3RD BACK SURGERY, SO I'M HAVING NERVE BLOCKS AND NOW MY DR.WANTS ME ON TOPOMAX.
I have read medical journal columns and reports that Topomax is only approved in the U.S. for migraine prevention.  It was pulled from the clinical trials for weight loss because almost all the patients quit taking the medicine because of the side effects (tingling, sleepiness, cognitive functions, etc.).  The FDA has no control over what a doctor prescribes a specific drug for; they can only recommend what its intended use is.  That being said, I read absolutely nothing about using Topomax as a drug therapy treatment for back pain until visiting this forum.  People here say it works.  I have back pain but use another Rx and my doctor never mentioned Topomax; another doctor prescribed Topomax for migraines 2 weeks ago and it has not made a difference in my back pain so far.  As far as the side effects go...only you can make the choice as to whether or not the benefits out weigh the risks and side effects.  If it gets too bothersome you can always stop.
I'm new to the forum....I'm on my second go-round with Topamax, but trying to get off.  I lost weight the first time but not this time.  It helps me with the horrible insomnia I've had for many years, and the tingling has long since worn off, but the side effects have become too much for me.  I am so tired all the time, and the memory loss and confusion have really become major problems for me.  Some days I am so out of it, I simply cannot leave the house because I can't drive or function beyond sitting on the couch.  There's no way I could hold a job.  I think my vision is being impacted, especially at night, and now, my mood as well.  I am having episodes of depression that I suspect are attributed to the Topamax, and I've also had one major kidney stone that I think must have been related to it as well.  Enough is enough.  I am weaning off of my 400mg a day dosage now, especially since it did not help with weight loss on this second course (I was off of it for about 6 months, lost about 50 pounds the first time).  I am interested to see just how much my appetite will increase when I go off the drug, but it's just not worth it to stay on it, especially since I do not have health insurance and it costs $365 per month for this stuff!

I have an appointment next week to get tested (with new health insurance, thank goodness) and see what my options are.  I have many issues--insomnia, restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea, and I don't know if my depression will improve once I'm off the topamax.  I also have some hormonal problems that are out of whack due to a total hysterectomy a few years ago...so I'm a mess.  It's so difficult to treat when there are so many things wrong.  I have had difficult personal circumstances that have likely impacted my emotions and while I have gone to therapy, it's hard to shake feelings of despair that I somehow feel are tied to the drug.

Just wanted to share my experience in case they might be helpful to anyone out there who is going through the same thing....didn't want to scare anyone off, though...everyone's body is different and meds can be so therapeutic for the right application!  Just make sure you and your doctor are thoroughly educated, and listen to your body.  I feel I have been on this stuff way too long, and I hope I haven't done damage that is beyond repair.
I went back on Topmax after the birth of my son.  I have been on it now for about a year and have not lost any weight.  I am on it for my headaches.  It was a bonus that I had lost weight before.  Has anyone been on Topmax and not lost any weight?  Thanks
Hi,  I just started on Topamax today.  My neurologist prescribed it for my migraines which, like most of you, I've suffered from for more than ten years.  When he told me that it could get rid of my migraines I was ecstatic.  When he mentioned that one of the main side effects was weight loss I nearly kissed him.  But, after reading this forum I'm almost scared to take it.  One of the main reasons I went to get more help with my migraines was because I want to advance at work and my frequent absences due to headaches were hindering my ability to get promotions.  It sounds like a lot of you have had cognitive problems and lethargy.   Do these symptoms fade with time?  Are most of you happy with the balance of relief vs symptoms?
I'm back with an update....still on topamax. Experienced a few migraines just recently over the weekend including waking up with one but two instead of daily is great with me. I just take an immitrex and after an hour or so they seemed to go away. My appetite has seem to returned to normal. Did not lose any weight unless I weighed more than I do now, which is a good possibility I was SO depressed and had migraines everyday that I really didn't pay attention to my weight. I of course like most people am not happy about this because it seems to be one of the good side effects of the medication but whatever:(
I really want others to know that I was very scared and had my doubts about taking this med for the first couple of weeks that I had the RX-I held onto it and did some research first and thought I really have nothing to lose by trying it even if just for 6 months-It seems to be different for everyone and you really won't know until you try it for yourself. I can say its been positive for me! But I think you have to do what your own instinct tells you. do what you feel comfortable trying. I know its expensive but NO ONE should live with headaches we all deserve to be happy and free from pain.
I want to say that the med has actually helped me more than not in many ways than what most people have posted here-I don't feel the memory loss or the blonde moments I feel confident and very secure at work and some days feel great with my work (human resources) I have been in great moods being happy with my children and spouse and able to spend quality time with them where before because of the headaches hid away in my bedroom most evenings so that I wouldn't snap at them. I really am happy that I gave it a try-and even if you do experience side effects hopefully they will wear off (if your lucky except the weight loss:) and feel great again!!
I started taking Topomax 3 weeks ago for migraines and weight loss.  I started taking Lexapro in April '07 for anxiety/depression which worked great, but made me put on 20 lbs. I always had migraines, but only about 1/month.  My doctor switched me to Prozac for the depression, then my migraines were coming 2-3 per week.  I switched back to Lexapro and started the Topomax.  I am up to 75 mg, 25 in the am and 50 at night.  No tingling, no weight loss, only soft drinks taste bad.  Migraines are nonexistant!  I seem to be bloated, and gassy and hungry!  I think that's from the Lexapro, but I am afraid to stop taking it because I don't want to lose the benefits....any suggestions?  Mom has been taking Topomax and she has lost mega weight and has cured her migraines completely!  She says give it time, but I dont want to gain anymore weight!
I recently just started taking Topomax because while I was 5 months pregnant I had 2 seisures of some sort.  I also had some kind of muscle spasms which the doctor wasnt sure what they were.  So, now that I have had my daughter who is now 9 weeks old, the neurologist has put me on Topomax which I have been on for 4 weeks now.  I have dealt with the tingling in my hands and feet and still dealing with those, and the spasms in my lower back are gone.  My headaches seem like they are also leaving me. I'm not sure where I am going from here, but it is very nice to know that something like this is out there to be able to ask questions and read what other people are going through. Thank you!
Hey, Sorry to debate you but I am currently in a drug study that is studying a combination of topamax/phentermine in a double blind study.  I do not know if I am getting the combo drug or not but I can tell you that the study is indeed still being done for diabetics for weight loss and has not been pulled from clinical trials in San Diego.  Thanks.  Gmabot
I just found this board today.  I have been taking 200 mg of Topomax a day for a month now (I built up to it).  After 25 years of migraine hell they are completely gone. The higher dose of Topomax was my idea to try with Effexor, Lorazepan, and Elavil for my seven year long depression that won't budge.  I had tried Topomax at lower doses for migraines before with no success.  I am lucky and have no problems with tingling  hands or feet.  Sodas, coffee, etc all still taste fine.  My main problem is word recall.  I do not like to sound like the village idiot.  I am still not sure about the weight loss.  I hope all of you with your migraines and depression find answers. People don't understand what a hell it can be unless they live through them.
I just started taking topomax yesterday for migraines. My major concern right now is all the other meds im taking. Is there a website where you can list all the drugs you're taking and it tell you if its ok? One that is accurate? Ive found some that didnt warn me about taking SSRI's with phentermine. My pharmacist noticed when prescribed lexapro that i shouldnt take it while on the diet pills.
Im a 27 yr old single mom of a very active 5 & 7 yr old. Im a social worker but doing marketing for hospice and sales is very stressful. Not to mention Im very ocd, very analytical by nature....
So my problem is I have had a recent weight gain of about 15-20 lbs in the past few months which appears to be mostly water. Its all in my midsection (like I have a flotation device around my waist) and in my upper arms. I was put on elavil years ago for my headaches and that combined with the depo provera birth control and zoloft who knows what has caused it although i have taken all of those drugs in the past with no problems.
I had blood work done and there were no problems. My blood pressure was a little high so doc put me on maxzide (diuretic) and ive been taken it one month today and have actually managed to gain 3 lbs! Doc says its all stress related......prescribing phentermine (i lost 20 lbs on it last year for three months) and lexapro for depression. After realizing it wasnt a good combination (something about the phentermine intensifying the effect of the SSRI) i asked him to change the anti depressant to buspar. He called me in buspar and cymbalta (which i had never heard of but have learned its supposedly the only antidepressant with no weight gain side effects?) soooooooooo......headaches still an issue........neuro puts me on topomax yesterday and tells me to wean off the buspar i dont need both that and cymbalta and shouldnt need the maxzide anymore either. The phentermine has helped with my appetite of course this time around but unfortunately DOES nothing for my energy levels as before i guess because im so doped up oh and I have to take ambien to sleep now vs the elavil due to the weight thing.
So to sum it all up
Im taking
Depo Provera
Phentermine
Cymbalta
Buspar (half a pill for a few more days)
Topomax
Ambien
Any thoughts???
Hello... I am new to this sight and pretty new to topamax. So far so good. I am having alot of side effects, I mean ALOT, but the good really makes the bad easier to handle. I take it for nerve pain, that before I started , would leave me crying on the floor in the fetal position. Now they have gotten a bit better, not as noticable. Somthing I didnt expect it to help was my bipolar and anxiety which I havent been on any meds for since I had to stop taking my effexor, cold turkey ( which was evil) effexor is horrible, atleast for me it was. It never really worked and when I had to stop taking it becuase I couldnt afford to pay for it out of pocket any more, I went through withdrawls like a junky.  Well since that all happened I have been on a constant defense, surer high anxiety.... I was starting to feel crazy again, Like the mom who always yelled, and then I would feel horrible right after the yell left my mouth. But since taking the topamax I have actaully been the fun mom again. A little more sleepy than normal but I would much rather be the mom that is a little sleepy then the mom who is always grumpy. The only side effects that are really driving my crazy and the sever tingleing in my feet... its starting to get so bad that it isnt just annoying any more, it actually hurts now. Thank goodness it only lasts for a few minutes. I dont notice any memory loss. Or loss of concentration, becuase I already had that so severly before I started taking the meds. Though I did notice the lack of sex drive... thats always a bumber. Does anyone eles feel like there tognue is numb or like they need to brush it ( and yes i have brushed it like 5 times today.. hehe) At how many MG did everyone start loosing weight? Cause I really havent started loosing any. Kinda bumbed about that. Oh by the way I am Amber.. Have a great night everyone.
I have been taking Topomax for 7 years for migraine prevention. I actually started to take this before it was aproved for Migraines and it was a miracle drug for me.  I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm 8 yrs agao and after recovery from that I returned to migraines and my neurologist started me on Topomax 50 mg a day.  I now go to well known Headache Center in Philadelphia and I am taking 300 mg of  Topomax a day. 100 in the a.m. and 200 in the p.m.  The weight loss was about 30 lbs for me in the beginning which was not good for me since I was so thin from three months in the hospital and the long recovery from the aneurysm but now I would love to have that back!!!  The tingling in the hands was in the beginning also and I get that once in a while but a bananna or a potassium pill stops that fairly quick.  Memory loss is a problem at times but Magnessium and also B2 in the AM and PM does wonders.  So as you can see all the side effects can be dealt with much easier than having migraines rule your life!  I suggest that if your Doctor who is prescribing your topomax is not suggesting these ideas to you to take away the side effects you may want to consider finding new doctors who know more about the drugs and theie side effects and how to deal with them. The side effects are not reason enough for me ever to stop taking topomax and go back to the way of life I had while getting migraines and staying in bed all day thinking my heasd was going to explode and not being able to have any light shine on my face!!!  Water is very important while taking topomax due to the fact that kidney stones will form while you are taking this drug but again we all can use extra water right?  The banana for the tingling is the best advise I got from my doctors and it works fast so good luck to all the migraine free  people out there!!!!
In June 07, I was prescribed Topomax for migraines, which were reoccurring everyday. When I first started taking it, I felt some side effects such as, nasuea, hand and facial tingling, eye twitching, and weight loss (I have lost 27 lbs to date). And yes, it is really expensive since my health insurance does not cover it. While on Topomax, it did in fact take away ALL of my migraines and neck/shoulder pain that was associated with the headaches. In early-August, my Dr. did have me undergo a MRI of the brain, which was completely clear (thank god), but my Dr. also wanted to increase my dosage, he wanted me to take 200 mg in the am and 200 mg in the pm. This had me worried b/c the only prescription medication I have only taken on a daily basis was birth control pills (which BTW does lower their effectiveness - so be careful!!). So this then had me decide to conduct a little experiment....I stopped taking the Topomax all together. To date, I am happy to report that I don't get migraines any longer but I truly attribute that to walking 5+ miles everyday (I am now in this excerise routine, if I miss a day working out I feel really guilty), and I have my daily 3 shot Starbucks latte out, eat even more healthy than I already did but by incorpotating more fruits and veggies, and I am still loosing weight!! Since off Topomax, I have gotten only very slight headaches, nothing a few aspirins won't cure, but I think this is partly b/c of looking at a computer screen all day or possibly b/c I need to update my contact prescription?? Would I go on it again....yes, if I started getting the debilitating migraines again. But so far that has NOT happened. I have always been really leary on taking meds. everyday without knowing any of the long term effects on my body. But workout now daily and eating healthy has just completely increased my overall mental attitute and has given me a much morepositive spirit!! However, to everyone taking Topomax, I wish you all the very best and  all the health and happiness :)
well today was my birthday and i spent it in bed sick inthe wonderful world of migraine so tonight for my birthday i will be taking my first dose of topomax. i have read so many of all of your postings and im so scared but being in pain and sick for days isnt working for me so i wish all of you great luck and pray this is the life saver ive been told it is
Just started taking Topomax for migraines and almost daily regular headaches.  I also take 10 mg per day of amytriptylene (sp?).  Started at 25 mg once a day for a week.  Over the next 4 weeks I have to increase by 25 mg until I'm up to 100 mg per day.  I've been reading all of these postings and have found them to be very helpful, especially about drinking a lot of water.  I haven't experienced any side effects yet -- tingling seems to be the most common.  I have to say, though, that the hair loss really scares me.  Is it worth taking this, or is it better just to deal with the headaches and take pain killers when the headaches get too bad?  I hate drug side effects.  Also, I do like wine, and it seems like alcohol is a real no-no with this.  Any comments?
Happy birthday -- hope your day after wasn't spent with a migraine hangover -- the hangover can be as bad as the headache!!
i was worried about the hairloss, too. ive been on topomax for about three months now. i take 200 mg a day. i havent experienced any major hairloss. i already told my best friend a few months ago to remind me that if and when i do that it is a vanity issue.....and to remind me that the migraines and dialy headaches were so much worse than any amount of hairloss could ever be. and that i can buy a wig! she reminded me that i dont have insurance and for the price im paying for these darn pills i wont be able to afford a nice wig!!!!!!!! lol and about the wine........i, too, enjoy drinking a glass of wine every now and then. i still do here and there. i dont have the same desire that i use to, but i havent been completely turned off. since i have been on topomax though, i havent gone out and had more than a glass or two at a time. good luck to ya!!!!!!!!
I stopped taking Topomax in August.... if I start taking it again, will I have the same side effects both good (weight loss) and bad (tingling, slow thought process).  Please help...
have any of you noticed hair loss
YES ! I have been on it for 1 year and 10 months.My hair loss started after around 7 mounths of being on it .  
has the hair loss subsided?  or have you noticed it to be continuous.  I have now been on it for one year.  I had myself checked for thyroid problems not thinking it had anything to do with the medication.  I have noticed recently alot of hair loss.  I had switched medication a year ago for the same reason the one i had been on for 12 years had that side affect.  Apparently the doctor didnt know this one has it too?  any suggestions to help the hair loss,   does it evenutally go away?  Or am I going to go bald by 50 =) for a woman =(  
I had my thyroid checked ,it was ok. I'm scared I'll be bald by the age of 34.I do not want the migraines back though.I take Biotin every day and zinc.It has not help any.the hair loss is the same.
My neuro prescribed topomax for my everyday headaches as well as for my migraines.  So far (and I'm knocking on wood like crazy!!!) no migraines -- and there have been a couple of days that definitely would have been migraine days.  My everyday headaches are brought on by changes in weather.  Any comments on whether or not the topomax is successful in stopping those headaches?  I was pretty much living on fiorinal and fiorinal with codeine for the weather-related headaches.  Whenever it's GONNA rain, my head feels like it's going to explode.  So far (75 mgs a day), the topomax has had no affect on preventing my rain headaches -- AND NO WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm bummed!!  And, worst of all, I seem to have lost my taste for wine!
The weight loss will come in time.  You will notice it will come off slowly and that is the way you want it to come off.  It basicially suppressed the appetite and you tend to not eat as much.  I have been on it a year and in a year have notice a 10 pd decrease in a years time.  I am happy that is has come off slowly because they say quickly it will go right back on.  My worst concern is the hair loss. Trying to find vitamins that could help with this.
Well, I've read all your comments over and over.  I started on 25 mg and was supposed to increase to 100 over a period of 4 weeks.  After being on 75 mg. (50 mg at night and 25 in the morning), I had to call my dr.  I had to go home every day after work and take a nap, and my brain was feeling very "dull and fuzzy".  No headaches, though!  But I couldn't deal with the constant fatigue.  It was really interfering with my life.  So he had me cut out the 25 mg. in the morning.  Now I'm taking 50 mg. a day, and that I think might be ok.  I can't imagine how some of you are taking more than that -- and some of you are taking more than 200 mg. a day!!!  Migraines are the absolute worst thing in the world.  I swear that we must have done something horrible in a previous life to have gotten the migraine curse.  And people who think migraines are just bad headaches are so clueless!!!!  So to those of you who HAVE to live with the constant fatigue and "dull and fuzzy" feeling that Topomax gives you just to make it through the day without a headache or, worse yet, without a migraine, my heart goes out to you.
I've been on Wellbutrin for depression for a Looooong time. Past couple of years really felt bad, weeping all the time, very stressed, single mom, struggling with business, debt up the kazoo, hardly any inclome, blah, blah.  My new Dr. added Topomax to the mix and my overweight frame went down almost two sizes.  I just got on the scale for the first time in years.  So,  I probably lost close to 15-20 lbs between June and now.  But I'm only 5'0" . and now a size 6-8.  I'm not sure about the med mix.  Love the weight loss, however, I think sometimes I'm becomeing a screaming, crazy mother.  Not sure if I'm just over worked and over tired, and doing a 4 person job (elderly parents, etc) or if the meds have something to do with it.  Have not experienced tingling.  Migraines may have subsided a bit.  I do feel much anxiety and heart palpitations and like I'm jsut about ready to blow.  300mg wellbutrin, 25 mg. Topomax - afraid to add more Topomax as recommended.
Seems like an over whelming majority of Topamax users are female is this because Migraines are more common in girls? Any way I have had a constant headache for about a year and a half. With Nausua that comes and goes the headace is kind a dizziness but not where I lose my balance, almost like I haven't slept in a few days. I am miserable. I am being treated for sleep apnea but that hasn't helped(cpap machine). I have been prescribed 100mg of topamax at night and I am supossed to add another 100mg pill in the mornings after a week. I am large person. I weigh over 300lbs now but when I played football I and had zero fat I was about 240 so I assume this is why my dose seems to be alot more than most on this board. I took my first dose last night and had a beer about an hour later. OMG! disgusting, what am I going to do without beer. Anyway I hope this drug finally works. I have been dragging myself through work days and coming home and sitting on the couch and eating when not nausous, this is why I am so heavy. I am praying this drug can get rid of my headaches. Without the head aches I think I will lose weight on my own, but the added side effect of weight loss may be good as well.

Has anyone else had constant headaches like this, and has topamax helped?. By constantant I mean 100% of the time. If I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the head ache is there. First thing in the morning, all day, all night. I have even had dreams where I am dizzy in the dream. No escape.
Help
HI’m 42yrs old, have been suffering  from Migraines for years, which have gotten more severer and often in the past couple of years. I was on Wellbrutrin for about two years due to a traumatic event that had occurred in my life I stopped taking it about 6 mths ago by choice.  I’ve been taking Topiramate for 5 weeks now….1 -  25mg tab. @ bedtime, then increased by  1- 25mg  tab per week up to 100mg. A couple of Question I hope you will be able to answer….
1-  is Topiramate the same product as Topomax?
2- I have not lost a single ounce, will I lose  any weight at all at this dosage?
The week I started the 100mg, I was so tired, irritable and my mind was in a horrible fog, like nothing I have experienced before. Almost a confused state of mind, . Also felt a mild, yet unsettling feeling of depression setting in. I became so concerned I dropped down to 75 mg.
3 – If I stayed on the 100 mg would the above feeling have subsided? I still have the above feeling not as severe on the 75 mg, I still hopping that it will completely go away, will it?
- will I see any weight lose on 75 mg a day?
- Is there anything herbal/vitamin/ prescription that you suggest I take to assists with the/ irritability, tiredness, depression, weightless
- The good news, I have not had a single Migraine not even  headache of any kind.
- Hope someone can help me with this or offer me some advise. It’s takes a long time to get an appointment with my Dr. to go over these questions. The irritability and Depression are very concerning, I’ve read a lot of people writings on the use of this drug but I’m not sure if that Depression is just going away after awhile or if they are supplementing the drug with another prescription. I would like to know whats the options are so I can discuss my options with my Dr. Thanks  
I started Topamax Saturday night 25mg.  I had the worse experience of my life I was delerious, could not feel my arms and stopped breathing 3 times!! Has this happened to anyone before.  I am waiting for a call from my Doctor. Needless to say I stopped taking it.
I am 22 and I have had chronic migraines since I was 15.  I have never really known what is was like to enjoy high scholl, or even college, because I was home with a migraine at least 5 days a week.  I am now in my first year of grad school and really having a hard time with the course load and the constant headaches.  I just started on topamax about two weeks ago and am up to 50mg every nite.  I am experiencing the tingling in my fingers but I am also extremely nauseous in the mornings.  has anyone else had this side effect? (its not morning sickness)  I am nervous about being so young and having to turn to a drug to manage my migraines.  some of the side effects i read about above like the memory problems and the hair loss really scare me and make me want to avoid staying on this medication.  Everyone seems to have a different experience, some positive and some negative, but my headaches have yet to decrease.  I have also noticed that my mood has become more depressed lately, i am just feeling really discouraged when I was was really looking forward to enjoying life the way the lucky one's who don't suffer from migraines get to.
Anyone advice or words of encouragement? it would be greatly appreciated!
I read a lot comments about Topomax and I have a friend who is taking it for weight loss--my question is there any bad side effects if you don't have a migraine problem but you are given it for weight loss?  What happens when you come off of it?  Can you take it for just a little while for weight loss and be okay or will you gain the weight back?  If anyone knows the answer to any of these just let me know.  Thanks a ton!
I had no idea what topomax even was until i  just searched it on the computer.   I was at the  dr.s office today (plastic surgeon) and there was a woman there for  carpal tunnel.  she was discussing another dr. she had been to for her carpal tunnel and told me that he had been mean to her about her weight and put her on topomax.  this was some kind of specialist you would see for a wrist disorder.  anyway she said she had lost 35 pounds in two months and i said how much do you take  and she said  1600 miligrams aday.  divided into four doses.  I didnt know what the medicine was, but that sounded like alot,  i asked her was that what he prescribed  and she said yes.    the dr. told her that if she didnt lose a certain amount of weight by jan.  he was going to dismiss her as a patient.   she said he told her not to eat anything.   she was very upset.    after reading this im wondering isnt 1600 miligrams a day going to kill her.  should i try to find her and warn her to read about it.   thanks if anyone can help/
are you sure she said 1600 mg ? that sounds like alote.
My name is Rebekah. I am 20 years old. My dad died of cancer in 2001, unexpectedly on my 12th Birthday. I have been on anti depressant meds since then, forcefully. Now I cannot function without them. After a horrible experience with zoloft, i was left with side effects that included 50 pound weight gain, insomnia, and terrible anxiety attacks. This is when I was introduced to Effexor XR, Trazadone, Adderall, and Topomax. For 5 years I consistently took them, I lost 60 pounds in 4 months...and  I can't remember a happier time in my life then those 3 years. It subsided some, but I had stopped taking most of them on a daily basis.. along with the usual teen angst- the world can be cruel when your 18 and have NO idea who you are, because pills define you. Since then, I've gained 80 pounds back. I have tried to stop taking the medicines, but I get so physically sick from the withdrawal, even in small doses, that normal daily routines are impossible. It has taken me 2 years to grow from this- I guess my point from all of this- is that while the weight loss is a positive side effect, don't steer away from why you are taking them in the first place. Its hell, i know on a personal level; and to any parents out there, be extremely aware of what Doctors prescribe your child medicine. Seek several opinions, and ask yourself... do the side effects trump the treatment? As far as all the side effects I have read so far.. Hair loss, pins and needles, are normal, its all personal tolerance. :)
I started taking Topamax when I was a senior in high school (2005). My migraines were incredibly bad when I first started after 3 years of being on the medicine my migraines finally subsided. I never had any of the side effects, I had always been a small person, 5'1" and about 110 lbs. At the beginning of the summer, I was taken off of Topamax, Over the course of the summer (3.5 months) I gained 35 lbs. My doctor told me that it must have been some physiological effect, but test after test revealed nothing. I've tried exercise and diets and nothing is helping. Is it possible that going off the Topamax made me gain the weight and should I go back on it?
Hi - I just read your 10/29 post...i hope you're doing better and better.  I too take both Wellbutrin (300mg) & Topamax (100 mg per day).  I do just fine on both meds.  If you read too much here, or any place else, it WILL frighten you to death...as far as side effects.  You just have to decide which is worse...being incapacitated for days & weeks on end with migraines - or having some side effects from this medication.  They do subside, with time!  I've been on Topamax for about 3.5 years now. And I hardly notice much of anything.
Truthfully, none of these medications are going to make any of us feel perfectly normal & completely healthy anyway.  Only God can do that.
blessings
Your background and prescribed dosage of Topomax sounds very similar to mine.  I am only on day 1 of this drug and had hoped to be able to work through any side effects during the Xmas break. Naturally, there is nothing to speak of as yet other than some wild dreams last night.  You spoke of Fiornal w/codeine.  I have experienced migraines for 30 years now (since an early teen).  Fiornal has been the only drug which has allowed me to manage it and I am so tired of this drug an ensuring I am managing it and it not managing me. The imitrex family of drugs cause crazy side effects so as the frequency of the migraines have increased, I relented and decided to try this.  I am also going to try botox injections in the near future.  I have been started with 25 mg for 7 nights then 25 mg for 7 days then to 50 mg (25 am then pm).

To others I would ask too - how soon do the side effects start and how long to work them thru.  I realize everybody is different.   I am concerned about the cognitive stuff as I have to be on my game for my job however I wonder if it can be any worse than some of the fiornal fog that occurred at times.

I began topomax over a year ago, and there was an adjustment period.  At first, I really believe I did get more frequent headaches; however, they were the dull, nagging kind that didn't impair me to the point of being bedridden.  As time went on, I had occasional headaches that were much less frequent and much less severe.  When topomax is paired with a healthy lifestyle, I never get headaches anymore.  However, the "pins and needles" feeling in my hands and feet will still trigger if in the same position for an extended amount of time.  The other issue I believe I am more conscientious about than anyone else is that of vocabulary recall.  I feel  I used to be much sharper in that area, but I find myself hesitate or search for words I use to use.  It's not constantly, but in certain situations, I am aware of it.
Thank you for all of your comments as I begin to see if this drug will work for me. Especially the comments on how pop will taste and the advice to drink a lot of water with lemon for kidney stones.  As well as which side effects to watch for.    

I do like to enjoy a glass of wine now and again and I am wondering what the effect is with alcohol - what has happened to folks.  I wouldn't want to have to give it up entirely but if the migraines are reduced it wouldn't be a huge sacrifice.  

Also - a few of you have mentioned that you can't hae caffeine and I was wondering why that would be.  Cutting out caffeine is not a bad thing either and I had planned to move back to decaf products anyway but I am curious what happens.   Thank you and please keep posting.   Your experiences are very valuable.
I've been on 200 mgs. of Topomax, along with 450 mgs. of Wellbutrin, and 250 mgs. of Lamictal for awhile.  I could not live without Topomax.  I just got it increased to 300 mgs.  I have lost a lot of weight on it, which is okay, but I need to maintain where I'm at now.  I have no side effects of food tasting bad, being tired all the time, bad moods, etc.  I was put on it to help stabilize my mood along with the Lamictal and it has helped significantly.  I actually have a small appetite again because I am feeling better.

Yes, I am very tiny and people who know me think I have an eating disorder, I don't, but I also would not tote Topomax as a weight loss drug.  It has many other benefits to it which should be considered long before weight loss.
My daughter in law just started on Topomax for Migranes.  She was told she had heart problems but after testing was dignosed with complex migranes. she has no symptoms other then feeling giddy and has lost four pounds because of no appetite in 6 days.

I suffer from PMS migranes and was wondering if I should talk with my doctor about this treatment.  I also have about 40 lbs to use. although I'm not thrilled about the side affects. I eat when I'm sad, happy etc. I lost 90 lbs 7 years ago and have begun to put it back on.

I do drink wine in the evenings and can not find anything about side effects. How about anyone else?

I to experiece brain fog at times and i'm not on any meds at this time, only blood pressure med.  I also have been taking magnesium oxide 400 mg for several years as maintance for my mygraines.  think it helps some.

Any comments will be welcomed

thank you
Debbie
Instead of Topomax, the doctor had me go the Imitrex route.  I can take one of those and within 30 minutes it'll be gone.
Our son had actual seizures and was on everything under the sun, including Topomax (the worst one was Zonegran... the word "zone" is in there for a reason).  His memory was horrible on Topomax as well as losing weight.  I've read some on this website and on others were actually taking Topomax to lose weight.  My heart aches for them!  The side effects are so horrible... there are so many natural things out there like b12 with lipotropics (both vitamins and amino acids our body's need) and simply cutting calories.  I've read where some girls are using their brother's seizure meds so they can lose some extra pounds... I'm in shock about it.  As a mother of a child who had to deal with the Topomax, like so many of you are well aware of the effects, I can't imagine "wanting" to take it.
God bless all of you who are on it... may your migraines and whatever you're taking it for quickly subside so you can enjoy a pain-free life.
Big ((((( hugs))))) to all of you!!
I was prescribed Topamax today for peripheral neuropathy in my feet.  I am currently on Neurontin, Cymbalta and Tramadol for this.  After reading these posts, I'm scared to death.  I'm a nurse, and can't afford to be "foggy", and I also drive 25 miles to work.  Has anybody else been prescribed this med for neuropathy?  Any help that anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.  The best to everybody!
I have been taking Topomax for years and it has literally ruined my life!!!
It all started with just forgetting words when I was speaking to severe memory loss, severe fatigue, numbness and tingling in feet and now i am sort of at time leaving my feet behind sometimes when i walk. I began taking it for seizures along with another drug trileptal and they work to keep my seizures away. I have epilepsy and i have not had a seizure for 8 mos which is something for someone who has that condition which is why my doctor says that i should continue taking it. I am trying to continue to work but i fall asleep while i'm talking to clients, i try to make jokes when i ask my kids how old they are but most times i really don't remember!! As far as weighloss is concerned anyone who would take this for weightloss is an idiot. i'm sorry!! I 've gotten two college degrees and I can barely keep one job. My ability to comprehend is almost gone and my dr can't tell me if the damage is permanent. I often feel so alone but although i don't wish this on anyone it sure is nice to see there are others who understand!!
My life was tragically altered by migraines/seizures when I was about your age, and I remember feeling the way you do now.   That was 20 years ago, and I have learned so much about managing my condition without medication!  

I logged onto this site because I had an unexpected relapse last week while vacationing overseas, and was given Topomax.  This stuff is like poison.  I can barely even type, something I used to be able to do with ease.   I have no appetite, terrible diarrea, and can't rub two thoughts together.  I won't attempt to drive.

You were looking for encouragement, here it is:  You do have a great future, trust me.  Don't believe that the people who don't have migraines are the lucky ones!  My condition gives me a hightened state of consiousness and a spiritual awareness many of my contemporaries miss out on.  Yes, I've had countless migraines, but learned that if I "succumb" to them, i.e. lie in the dark and let them win, I lose.  If I get up and live my life regardless (with some Excedrin) and spit in their eye, I win.  I've had four seizures, but only lost my license once for six months in twenty years!  I had two perfect pregnancies, without meds!  

It can be done, through diet.  Learn your triggers.  Hydrate yourself properly.  Not just regular water, SmartWater with Electrolytes.  Take B vitamins.  Wear sunglasses all the time!  Manage the condition you were GIFTED with.  Treat it with respect.  Thank God for it.  Your life will turn around.  

I suffer from petit mal which is a mild form of epilepsy however my attacks are pretty frequent and I have a pretty stressful job which I have found difficult to manage with epilepsy. My neurologist had tried different medications starting with lamictal, then keppra, then tegtotal and now topomax. I lost a huge amount of weight when I went on it first and I couldn't really afford to as I am very thin anyway however I found now it seems to have levelled itself off and my appetite seems to have come back and now it seems to be much better with less side effects then the others. Granted my memory is not great but it was worse on the others so I would recommend topomax. I am very happy with it and have less then 1 seizure every 3 months.
My aunt uses her Topomax everyday for siezures. She lives in Florida and just lost her job. She was paying $900 a month for her prescription but now that she isn't working she can't pay for them and she said Florida doesn't have free or low cost insurance. Is there a generic brand, any advice on how she can get this cheaper?
I am on Topomax as part of a Traumatic Stress Syndrome treatment / to get off of Seroquel as a sleep aid as it raising my blood sugar.  It doesn't help me sleep, but  the 75 mg I took the other day out of despairation did take away my anxiety. ( I'm only supposed to take 50 ) I thought I was getting bad pop (soda) also, glad to hear it's not just me! It's time I gave it up and drank more water anyway.  I haven't had a memory for so long due to drug interactions that I don't notice any difference with Topomax.  Your stories make me wonder what it will do for me and why my specialist chose it for me - I have only been on it for a few weeks - but drugs don't seem to affect me the way they are supposed to, so who knows, maybe Topomax will be what I need right now.  I need to lose weight.  I am sick to my stomach all the time, but I'm not sure if it is from Topomax or something else. I still need something for sleep.  I've tried about everything - Seroquel is the only thing that gives me a good deep sleep.  It also leaves me kind of stoned the next day, but not getting enough quality rest is worse. If anyone has any uncommon sleep aid information I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.  Good luck to all - Peace & Blessings.  Cat Gal 84119
I have been on Topomax since January and I am experiencing most of the same side effects as the rest of you.  I have had one additional symptom that my doctor thinks is unrelated to the medication, but I thought I would see if anyone else is having trouble with this as well.  Several weeks ago I started having feeling short of breath after doing simple activities, such as picking something up off the floor, wiping off the table, and picking up my daughter.  More recently, it has gotten to the point where extend conversations and walking short distances make it very difficult to breath.  My doctor wants to look for a heart problem (I am 26), but this all started after the Topomax.  Does anyone else have similar symptoms?  Thanks!

Been interesting reading for sure!

I was put on topomax almost two months ago for Multiple Sclerosis pain. I thought I would find lots of other MS sufferers here. Seems I'm the loner. Makes me feel much better to find out that so many of you are having trouble focusing tho - as that is a major issue with me! And memory seems to be a thing of the past - but then MS can do that too!
I do notice that I am not hungry and am glad someone mentioned to make sure to drink lots and to use lemon to avoid kidney stones. Than ks! After my neurologist tried all the conventional MS drugs and they failed to work as a last attempt to control my pain he put me on topomax. I will be at full dose of  100 mg/day in May as he is very gradually upping my dosage. Am also having great difficulty sleeping even with sleeping pills.
MSLady1