Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Topomax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Topomax

I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for one month.  My doc prescribed it for me for weight loss.( 50 mg/day) I have not lost a pound...nor have I lost my appetite.  Irritability?  Yes.  Weight Loss--no.  I am on Zoloft 50mg/day for depression for 11 years now.  Does anyone know if Zoloft can deter the weight loss?  I have been struggling with my weigbt for so long and have heard of people having such positive reults from Topomax (topamax).  Any advice from anyone?
you need to scroll down to ,any luck with topamax ,and read they have alote of great stuff to say .i think some of the others are taking zoloft.good luck!!
Hello all, this is my 1st time writing on this site.  I am finally on my maintenance dosage for topamax for my migraines today.  Of course I hope for the weight loss benefit, but mostly for the end of the migraines.  They have been dibilitating my life for a long time on and off.  This time for the past several months.  It has been very difficult to work, even though I have only misse one full day due to the migraines, I have suffered.  I look forward to living a healthier life.
Hello- I just started taking 25 mg of Topomax (topamax) for depression four days ago and thought I would share my side effects for others who are also just starting or considering taking this medication. First of all I should mention that I also take 300 mg of Wellbutrin once a day as well.

Unfortunately the Topamax has caused me to be quite hungry throughout the day and I find myself snacking frequently. This is obviously disappointing since I was hoping that I would lose weight like most of the people taking Topomax (topamax). But I am not extremely overweight to begin with, I could certainly use to lose 15-20 lbs that I have gained since taking SSRI's (Zoloft, Effexor, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Prozac and Paxil). After only two days, soda tasted flat and gross. I do find myself thirsty and drinking lots of flavored water. My heels are tingly and I actually have insomnia (and I take the pill at bedtime). Today I feel like a walking zombie. I am going to stick this out for at least a month because I have found most side effects subside with time. My biggest concern thus far is an incident last night. I had very vivid nightmares which resulted in terrible sleep and it was a scary experience. If that happens again I will obviously consult my Doctor and most likely have to stop taking this. But I am really hoping that the first few days are the worse and things will get better. I have been on enough medications to realize that they all come with side effects.

I hopr this might help someone else out there. I found it was helpful to hear that there were a couple of others who also had an increase in appeite as well. I will update if this changes.
Hi I thought Id say how I am going on it..... It is day4 now and i have had a big appetite as usual until today ... ireally dont want to eat anything its a bit weird really... it could be because im really tired and time of month but ill soon find out!

Hope everyone else finds its working well for them
Hi, it seems we started topomax (topamax) around the same time... how r u going with it now?

That is very interesting and peculiar about the nightmares

best of luck to you
Hello All,
I am doing pretty well on my maintenance dose of 100 mg. of topamax twice a day for migraines.  I also have other problems and take medication for bi-polar and clinical depression, and fibromyalgia.  It appears that topamax can be beneficial in all of my ongoing illnesses.  I am hoping that it will benefit me in everything.  I am still having some problems with some migraines, but they are much better than they were a few months ago.  I have lost 5lbs. now that I am at my maintenance dose, and I hope that benefit continues because I could truly stand to lose 40 or 50 lbs.  And of course that would help not only my fibromyalgia but also my self esteem which could always use a boost.  I am trying to be patient and trust and believe that God will help me through all of my daily trials and tribulations.  I hope that perhaps this will help someone out there.  I would be glad to hear from anyone who has anything similar to my situation or who would just like to write a note I would appreciate it.  Thanks
Hi everyone, I have been on topamax for 3 weeks. 10lbs latter i am very happy. My doctor didnt precribe it for weightloss though. I have seizures and migraines. My doctor thought it would help out both.I take wellbutin 300,and zyrtec d, I have very little appetite.I have been doing well on my migrains untill my menstral cycle. Oh my gosh i got the worst headache ever.Now on to the forth week and getting back on track. I dont know if i need to go up on my mg. I do try to keep my weight watcher points also. I do exercise now that my headaches are minamal.does anyone have any problems with once a month ?
Hi there sorry to here you get that problem once a month.. brilliant that u lost 10 pounds tho well done... can i ask what dosage you are on?
hi all,
did you all know there are 2 seperate posted pages for topamax?
well, there are.
anyhow... how is everyone? I am just fine. I just got off the treadmill. I am surprised at all the new found energy i now have. For any one new here, i am currently on 100mgs of topamax, and 300mgs of wellbutrin. I am 5'1'' and have been on welbutrin for a year this month. just started topamax. March 7 is a moth marker for me. I was 199lbs, and am now at 188lbs.  I am experiencing tingling in my heels mostly now, and most foods now have lost their normal taste for me. I have no appite. I do not eat a whole lot. I am not starving myself, i do have enough commonsense to eat... but i have to make myself eat meals, cause i have absolutly no interest in them.  I am trying to take advantage of the situation and loose as much weight as i can. I am a chubby gal, and have been for awhile. I was put on this med for migrains... it has helped me immensly. But i am alos enjoying the other side effect.... the heel thing, i can deal with. This drug is also a mood stableizer, and trust me... i need one.... and it IS helping me in that department to. Well, keep posting. I enjoy reading all of your enttries. It is nice to know that there are others out there with similiar issues willing to share their expeirences. It helps.
Thanks, Dawn.
Hi everyone,
How are you doing, Me well,but i have found my appetite again. not quite as much though. I have been sick though.Sometimes antibiotics enhances appetite.I am doing great on the topomax (topamax) though no headaches since my cycle. I am only on 50mg. I am lucky i guess. That means I have room for going up on a level. I am so happy with it. I do still have air headed moments. my husband says that they are more than normal. He He. I dont care.At least I am out of bed.Before I would just forget thoughts and other stuff after a bad head ache.I am back on track with weight watchers and my tread mill.I have a 10 year reunion this summer and i weigh 40lbs more than 10 years ago. I need to live on the treadmill he he. well talk to you latter. I hope you all are doing great. I really enjoy talking with you.Thanks for all the support.
Hello again.... well im glad things are going well for you but most of all well done for taking up such a postive attitude as that is often the toughest thing in all of this and u are really doing brillaintly at that by the sounds of it! a real inspiration! As for me im just really hoping and praying that these pills will kick in!! Im on 100 mg (50 am and pm) as of yday and still feel the same in all aspects, including my terrible appetite :-( Things seem to be going downhill to be honest but i am trying to remain positive as it has only been 2 weeks...

Well keep me posted and i will do the same.. good luck on that tradmill a reunion is a good goal to work to, so keep you eye on it ;-)

I was just wondering as well .... you know the appetite thing.. did you find you lost your appetite straight away on the topamax or was it like after a few weeks?

Take care and good luck
hi everyone.
i am still on 100mgs.
That is where my doc has decided to keep me.
i noticed anymore changes. I am still loosing weight...
about a pound or two a week.
But that is because i put effort into it, i think.....
I get on my treadmill daily, if not twice daily.
i have more energy now.
I have some feelings of hunger here and there, which are
odd to me, cause i would just eat when ever before. i never realy "felt hungry"
I do not feel the need to force my self to eat, although i have no interest in food at all. Nothing sounds good. I just eat a lean cusine meal or a bowl of strawberry frosted shredded wheats for my meals, they are about the only thing i realy think taste half way decent.... oh, and some soups. Pop still is crappy. That is probably a good thing. What good is pop anyhow? i am so glad that the snacking has been eliminated for me. That was the biggest problem for me with my weight gain.
I am more excited about this side effect than i am abot the fact that i have had no more realy bad migrains (yet) ......i have had headaches, though. not major ones, though.
well, hope all is well for everyone on both posted pages for topamax. i post comments on both pages. I am just gonna be lazy and copy and paste this posting onto both pages. (lol) take care everyone!
Later,  Dawn.
Hey guys,
I found out that my appetite has every thing to do with my fluid intake. If i drink alot i have no appetitle.. If I dont drink I am hungry all the time. Also I found that when I dont take my Claritin D I also have a huge appetite... The mixture of the topamax and Claritin d or zyrtec d for some reason seem to have a great effect on energy and appetite. I also try to not drink caffeine or sugar. Crystal light is the trick.... Peach tea.. no calories,no sugar, no caffien. you cant go wrong.. I promiss you the more you drink on this medication the more weight you loose .... I kept a journal the fluid seems to speed the metobolism...I also take metamucile at night, fish oil in the morining and night and licorice at night..
hi...
i think it is onerful news that Topamax is working for you!
So far it has been helping me too.
I have to say, i think you are on to something with the drinking plenty of water, because..... i've noticed that my weight loss has slowed down sice i have not been consumeing as much water as i had in the beginning.
I am gonna go back to "hording" water...
see what it does.
Thanks for the wake up call there. Bet that is all it takes, well that and some motivation, and movement.... GET ON THE TREADMILL!!!!!! i do! I love my treadmill!
Hey, how many Mgs are you currently on? i am on 100mgs....
my doctor refuses to go any higher, even after i told him i am still getting some headaches.... He suggested takeing something else, i said i would rather not. And so, he said it would be okay to reamain on topamax, but he is not willing to increase my dosage. You see, i like the fact that i do not have Big bad nasty headaches anymore, and do not want them again.... i like the weight loss... it has been awhile since i've been able to loose some weight.... and the mood stablizer, well... that along with the welbutrin i am on, i have never felt better mentally in a long time...why ruin a good thing?
no thanks. so, anyhow.... good for you! and thanks for the advice! please tell, how many mgs you are on, and what it does to your appitite. Have you been exerciseing? and how much have you lost....total, since when....
Thanks.
Dawn.
Dear Miketish,
Hey I am on only 50mgs.I say only,but and BUT being the big word I also take wellbutin300,& Zyrtec D,Fish oil,and as needed metamucil at night.I think the zyrtec D is the fuel to the fire!!!!It is the combo that kicks the sinus head ache and migrains.Also the appetite. I have to constantly tell myself to drink and eat.Although I have stayed at the 10lbs mark, I havent gone to the doctors in a week. He told me to only weigh in there because all scales are different.I think he doesnt want me to get discouraged. Alot of people loose fast in the first few weeks and then creep in the next. I also have had verry little time to excercise this past 2 weeks vacation and then when we returned home i tried to rack up on hours at work to make up for the ones I lost. you know how that is give and take.I need to get up a little earlier and walk on the tread mill but my lazzy bum would rather sleep. he he. I would talk to your doctor or even try the over the counter claritin d.It is very similar. Becareful taking it though some people react differently to it. I get hipper. I could clean 2 houses, My mom could sleep 2 days. good luck keep drinking (WATER)!!!!!!
Hey guys im so glad to hear you are doing so well on topamax! Its giving me hope that it still may work for me! Im going up to 125 mg or maybe 150 hopefully as of next week depending on what my doc says... its just not doing anything for me at the moment (im on 50 am and pm).... and also the weight loss thing is a dissapointment ... i was so looking forward to losing my appetite.... im getting very disheartened by this whole thing...
Dear Miketish,
I got nosy and had to get on the scale last night. 11lbs in tottal.For one month really that is pretty good & only one headache a month (life is getting better)although i am a bitt miffed at my doctor for knowing about this medication and waiting so long to tell me.I have suffered for years.Well I have to go . Still no treadmill today. My grandma is comming i have to get moving. She makes life crazy around here for us.
Actully she is my Husbands grandmother.All she does is complain about being alone. I tell her if she doesnt stop complaining im moving her in here and she finnally stops. The woman is actually amazing. 88 beautiful,fit,bright,witty,and lonnelly and independence is a must.When i look at her I would guess she would be 67.I hope topamax helps me get back to shape like that.see ya...
Everyone,
How high should you go on the topamx for headaches.I am only on 50mgs a day and i am **** okay.
you only go as high as you doctor allows you!!!! mine will not go any higher than 100mgs.
and i still get headaches here and there. There just little ones, but i have alot of stress in my life. So i take sudafed sinus headache, it helps a little... i will just keep taking different otc meds for headaches... to figure out which one helps more than the other.
Good luck, take care.
Dawn.
Miketish,
I dont know how you take sudafed. That stuff put me to sleep.
Davette
I have been on Topomax (topamax) since Sept 05.
I have been struggling with migraines for about 13 years, and i'm 29. I am also on birth control, Relpax (for onset of migraines), Effexor XR. I have been to the best dr's in the city of Pgh. I have even traveled outside of the city to get other opinions. NOt only do I have migraines, but I also get daily headaches, which most of the time, by late afternoon, turn into a migraine.
I am on 100mg of Topomax (topamax). I literally have tried every medication on the market - from Nortiptolene, Midrin, Fiorinal, Inderol, Paxil, Tegretol, Celebrex, etc..you name it. Have had wisdom teeth pulled, eyes checked, jaw surgery, in the hopes that this was the result of the headaches.
Topomax (topamax) has been, as of now, the only drug that has partially, and I mean, partially helped me. They have taken away about 30% of my migraines. Instead of losing about 1 day of work a week, I lose maybe 1 day a month now. I still come home from work, and most of the time go to bed around 8pm, but that's better than years past - of going to bed around 6p, because I was a zombie, with all the drugs. I have to say this - yes, the side effects of Topomax (topamax) aren't great. I had/ still have sometimes the unsteady gait, tingliness in hands/feet, nausausness, I have lost about 7-10 pounds - so I'm back to my original 95lbs (i'm only 5ft), but the thing that bothers me the most now is, the memory loss, and the not being able to say things that I want to say - they're right when they call it "Dopamax". It makes me feel pretty stupid most of the time. For now, I'm trading that for a somewhat normal life. I meet with my neurologist next month, to hopefully begin to go off of it, and talk about options of beginning a family, my only dream. I worry about the long term effects. I work in a hospital, and work with dr's, so I am definetly informed and know the right questions to ask.
You all should too. That's the biggest fear I have - the future in our bodies, AFTERwards.
I look forward to continue to read your emails. It's nice to know others are suffering and trying to deal with these issues too. Good Luck!
Hello, I have been taking Topomax (topamax) for over 6 months now.  In March, I had my 6 month check up and my mg. was increased due to my migraines worsening again to 100mg twice a day.  Since then I have notice a new side effect in addition to the tingling extremities, which by the way had subsided until the dosage was increased, my hair has started falling out by the hand fulls.  I am only 26 and at this rate if I keep taking this I am worried I will be bald by the time I am 30.  I called my neurologist he said it was an extremely rare side effect and I should take zinc and sellinium vitamins, but I am wondering if it is worth it to even keep taking Topomax (topamax) at all.  Like Nicole said will the long term effects on our bodies be worth all of this... When I can just take imitrex when I get a migraine to get rid of it.  By the way, those of you interested in the weight loss that is not my intended use, but I have lost at least 10lbs. and forget to eat all the time... Hey there is the memory loss as well... Ha Ha!
Hello - this is the first time I am posting a comment.  I have suffered from cluster headaches (a form of migraine but worse) for about 30 years and only about 5 years ago discovered that Topamax has been a God-send.  I am currently on 75MG's per day for about a year.  I have lost about 53 pounds - it just melted away!  I am greatful I found your forum because I had no idea why the weight was coming off (and still is) and why I have no energy at all.  You guys have answered all my questions!  One thing, tho.  Most of you state that you are taking some sort of allergy med with the Topamax.  Is there a reason?  I was never advised to do so.  I do take Paxil for depression but have taken that for about 12 years, long before I started the Topamax.
I look forward to any comments.
Hi everyone!  I'm new to Topomax (topamax)--just started last night.  I felt dizziness and tingling in my head & face...very weird!  I normally can't sleep AT ALL without taking Tylenol PM but I was afraid to take it with the Topomax (topamax), so after the initial tingling/dizziness went away, I actually got a bit of "happy energy" and wound up not getting to sleep until 3:30 this morning, then woke at 6:45.  I had a surprisingly amount of energy when I woke up, but I don't think I can last long on that little sleep--I've ALWAYS needed at least 8 hours sleep to get through a day and, not helping with that fact, have also always been an insomniac...especially since my son's been born.  Will this "Topomax (topamax)-induced-insomnia" go away (I keep hearing about the drowsiness it causes)?  Is there ANY sleep-assisting pill I can take while on Topomax (topamax)?  I'm an over-weight (can't wait for the weight loss to kick in), 36-yr.-old & nowhere near young enough or have the luxury of going on such little sleep, especially having a 3-1/2-year-old son!  Anyone have any ideas for me?  Will this energy boost stick around too?  Also, how long until the weight loss began for everyone?  I'm on Topomax (topamax) for weekly debilitating migraines, but I could stand to lose about 50-70 lbs, so I look forward to this kick start!  Thank you!
I have been on Topomax (topamax) since October 2005 and have not really lost any weight at all.  I got on it for migraines, but the weight loss was going to be an added bonus.  But so far, I've not lost any measurable pounds at all.  Kind of disappointed about that. I am only on 100 mg/day.  I still have migraines, maybe one per week.  They are not the severe, debilitating ones I used to have, but still, I need to take something for them. Only once in a while do I get the really bad ones. I was taking Imitrex.  My doctor has me trying Axert now.  I was wondering if anyone else has had this same "symptom" and has had their dosage raised.  I've read where others are taking much higher amounts of Topomax (topamax).  Also, is this something we'll have to keep taking forever?  Does anyone know? Thanks.
Hi everyone,
Long time no see. I am back to fill you guys in. I have been on the topamax now for about 3 months.My migrains are down to one or two a month. That is wonderful for me.I have also lost weight.About 16lsb.I didnt start topamax for that reason,but it is one of the side effects of the med.I do take the zyrtec-d.I have taken that because of my sinus headaches. My doctor had a hard time choosing between the two. So I take a maintnance pill for both.I am tired alot,tingles in my fingers,and i get neausea at times.I have very little negative side effects compared to the constant migraines. Ill take these side effects any day.I am here for any one with questions. OOOOh yeah i almost forgot my memory has gone some where along with my spelling. Sorry for the bad spelling. I hope everyone is doing well. Davette.
Okay, I'm a little freaked out by everything I'm reading.  I just started on Topomax (topamax) for weight loss.  I have been on Paxil for about 8 years for anxiety and panic attacks.  I am hoping the mood stabilization will help, but the last thing I need is to feel more tired or less energetic or memory loss, I'm a first grade teacher AND have a 2 year old and 4 year old.  Can someone give me some reassurance here?  Do these things go away?  Does anyone feel BETTER taking this?
I started topomax (topamax) about 5 days ago and I was doing quite fine with the drug. I can not tell you how much I was looking forward to a pain free day or two with no migraine or migraine symptoms, but over the weekend I started feeling kind of funny and disconnected and a touch short of breath. I let it go and the next day I was very upset feeling for no particular reason I couldn't catch my breath and I started hyperventillating and I went into an asthma attack. I barely made it to the hospital, and the hospital gave me some mediciation to get through the worst of the anxiety attack that was triggered, but I have never been so scared in my life. I am still a bit jittery feeling and I have no idea how long it takes for topomax (topamax) to leave one's system, but I think this is a side effect that anyone plans to take this drug should know about.

I just started Topamax 2 weeks agao for migrains.  I am up to 50 mgs a day, and feel it is helping.  I am experiencing the same side effects I am hearing about here.  The tingleing and such, but I am also feeling the irritability, moodiness, and sleeplessness.  Everyone talks about feeling so tired, but I've had to take it in the morning, and am taking Klonopin at night to help me sleep (this also helps me with Tinnitus, which I've had for years, the Tomapmax seems to makes this worse also).  I am hopeful these effects get better, but am concerned about the long term affects, especially regarding the memory loss, or neuorpathy (numbness in extremities)  It sure has helped the headaches, and I have lost weight already (Due to diarreah (diarrhea), and excessive thirst).  I also find that I am cold a lot.  Anyone else feel this too?

Karen
I've been on topomax (topamax) for my headaches now for only three weeks. The headaches are completely gone.....and I've lost 16 pounds! The doctor said too much too fast, but I'm happy.  The only thing I've run into is I seem to be quite depressed in the last week. I've seen that people get the topomax (topamax) for depression, but it can also cause depression. The doctor is willing to put me on wellbutrin along with this. I just don't know if I should stay on the topomax (topamax) if it could be causing the depression. Yes, there are other crazy things going on with life right now. Has anyone else experienced depression with this drug?
I started taking Topomax (topamax) the 2nd week in February.  My biggest side effects were the tingling ankles and hands, strobbed vision during the night and weight loss.  I lost 20 lbs in six weeks.  The only problem I had that was intolerable was I didn't drink enough fluids with the medication and developed a bladder infection that I couldn't get rid of, it lasted for 4 weeks.  Anyone on this medication has to drink lots of water.  I don't care for the taste of water, so I wasn't drinking it and had to stop taking the Topomax (topamax) for a couple of weeks to make sure this was the problem with my bladder. Now, I have to scale back up to my dosage of 100 mg.  Also, being off the medication for two weeks I've gained 5 lbs.  That concerns me, but I feel sure it will come back off as soon as I'm back on the medication.  Headaches are non-existent on the Topomax (topamax).
I was just reading the comments regarding Topomax (topamax) and I hope this will help new users and current users.  I was on Topomax (topamax) about 6 months ago for migraines and then got off because I didn't have the money to see the doctor again to get a refill so months went by and I finally was able to get in again.  Let first talk about my first experience when I started. I was did have migraines daily and when I got on topomax (topamax) I started at 50mg I took one every night before I went to bed it really helped me sleep I did notice I was having  very horrible nightmares that were in color and detailed and emotional but I was able to deal with them actually they were theraputic for me I know that sounds wierd but not all the dreams were nightmares my doctor did warn me that it would be a side affect.  I did have the tingling sensation but not in my heels as I have read some of you have had mine is always in my hands and fingers and everyone moring at 8:30am not a minute late or early exact timing no joke either and last for 10-15 minutes funny ugh. Something I can tolerate.  Another side affect is sodas  I can no longer drink them which is fine I don't need them but it gave my mouth a burning feeling and flat taste I just couldn't drink them so I got in the habit of not drinking them which was a healthy thing to do.  Secondly when I went to the doctor I weighed in at 158 very disappointing for me cause I want to be 125-130 so when I noticed about 1-2 months of taking the drug that I was losing weight I was getting excited I was actually at 130 pushing 127 and never felt better about myself but then that's when I ran out and had no refills and no money to get in for another appointment to get a refill.  So like 3 months went by and had I just exercised and kept my weight off I probably would have been okay but I have 3 kids and a busy schedule and a huge debt needless to say after 3 months migraines came back the weight came back I'm now at 140.  But..I went to the doctor and he gave me another prescription with 3 refills and now I take 100mg's I've been on it for 3 weeks now the tingling, dreams and sodas taste are back and I can feel the weight dropping but no significant # dropping on the scale yet.  I like topomax (topamax) for the weight loss and keeping the migraines under control, oh yes I remember reading about someone saying the eating habits change or are different I do notice that I eat like cow and still feel hungry at times and then sometimes I don't want to eat nothing and nothing sounds good etc.
I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU LADIES.  IF ANYONE HAS ANY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW I WILL BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP.
i have been on topamax on and off since around dec 05. i have lost 34 lbs. as of today .due to stress i have had alote of stomache trouble.my dr. gave me samples of nexium to take for a month to see if that helps. some of the side effects are weight gain and headaches thats the last thing i want. the topamax took care of the headaches and gave a greaet plus of the weight loss. does any one have any input on the nexium with the topamax ,thanx sallie!
My 15yr. old daughter had a seizure on x-mas day ,05.  She was given 50mg a day of the Topomax (topamax).  She was also having side effects of tingling toes and fingers and some nightmares.  In Jan. the Dr. reduced dosage to 25mg. a day. Well, she had another seizure on Monday 5/01/06.  The Dr. wants her to get back on 50mg a day.  Is anyone taking this medication for seizures?  She has always been a very outgoing and energetic person, playing in all school sports.  X-mas day was the first time she had a seizure. Now she is tired all the time, she feels dizzy if she participates in sports now.  Its' difficult to see her change so much.  My question is, if anyone is taking this rx for seizures, does it seem to work?
Yes, it does seem to work.I have a friend who is autistic and has bad seizuesers since birth and is doing great on topamax.Although the medication makes you tired it works.It may be that like with being over weight you have to push your self to work out and exercise or do sports and your body may adjust to the life style of being a teen on meds.I pray for your child that this medication will level off and help give her freedom from seizures and life of a teen back.Being a mom is so hard.I thought being a teen was hard,but man watching your child go threw difficult medical sittuations like this is awful.I have also been very tired on this medication.I do have less energy.I also find myself not eating.My doctor says that because of my horrible eating habbits that it may be one reason of my loss of energy.I also was told to take a multi vitamin,calcium,vitB12,and fish oil.I have to say it worked for awhile,while my goofy but remembered to take it,but gosh I feel like I eat pills 24-7.I know if it works do it.So i have been.I will let you know in a couple of days how much better i feel and ask your doctor if your doctor feels any of those things will help her.I will pray for you and her.By the way my daughter is 7 she spent 3 months in the hospital last year for phenomonia it was the worst time in my life. She is much better,but i understand how helpless you feel.Davette
I initially wrote a comment in the beginning of April. I wanted to write a quick follow up, I went to see my Neurologist yesterday. My headaches are about 75% gone on the 100mg a day Topomax (topamax). I'm also on Effexor XR. Yes, I have many side effects from the Topomax (topamax), and like I mentioned before, it's worth it, to have my life back, even though they are very frustrating at times - unsteady gait, forgetfulness, short-term memory loss, nausea at times, tingliness in hands and feet etc...I lost about 10lbs total - which is nice.
My husband and I are ready to try for a family and my dr just said that it's going to take about 3 months to get completely off of the Topomax (topamax), and then we can begin to try. It's going to be a very difficult road ahead, because I know that I won't be able to take anything while we're trying and then while I'm pregnant. Like my dr said, it's a very potent, powerful drug. We should all be careful on it.
Hope you all are well!!
Nicole
I have been using Topomax (topamax) for close to 1 year now, and I have lost 40 pounds.  I have gone from having 3-4 migraines a month to having 1 migraine every 2 -3 months.  I take 100 mg. daily.  I still sometimes feel like I am getting a migraine but now I take Maxalt the instant I feel one coming and that seems to be working on most "breakthrough" migraines.  I do experience the typical side effects which at first seemed intolerable....the tingly feet I thought would drive me insane, but I have now gotten used to it, and it has gotten much better over the past year.  I cannot ever ever ever drink anything carbonated.  The taste is just so incomprehensibly horrible that I only drink water, tea, or lots of Gatorade now.  I also have the memory loss side effect where I struggle to find the right word.  I am constantly searching my brain for words to name what I mean....I feel like an idiot sometimes.  I have recently (just in the past couple of days) started experiencing a new symptom but I am not sure if it is related to Topomax (topamax) and want to know if anyone out there as experienced this.  My tongue has been feeling numb, tingly and then today, my gums have been burning and feeling tingly.  I am hoping it's related to the Topomax (topamax), and not something more serious.  I don't smoke, although I used to years and years ago....although not for very many years.  My teeth and mouth are in great shape, but I am worried this symptom may be sign of something more serious, not Topomax (topamax) related.  Anyone else out there experience this?

yes,I have had some sensitivity in the gum and teeth from the topamx.Dont worrie.I am impressed with the 40lbs though.I havent lost that much weight. Ten lbs at the most.But I started because of the migrains.I have had a dramatic reduction in migrains.I do have one or two around my period but I also take Maxalt.I love that stuff.Do you exercise alot? I have started to walk and eat better so like any other weightloss measure that is what i am doing. DAvette
I have been using topomax (topamax) since Feb. '05.  I am now taking 150 mg daily.  I've gone from approx. 10 migraines a month to about 3 or 4.  My headaches usually last a couple of days.  I've been suffering from them since I was about 11 years old and I am now 38.  It's been a long road and I've tried every drug, and I've even tried acupuncture.  So far topomax (topamax) has given me the best results.  I am also taking celexa for anxiety (just started that) and I take zomig when I get a headache.  I've lost about 50 lbs., I experienced the tingling in my hands, feet, and lips but that went away after I reached my maintenance dose.  I feel confused a lot!  I seem to be cranky a whole lot more.  I experienced a tremendous amount of hair loss and the texture of my hair has changed.  It went from straight to curly.  Luckily I have very thick hair so only I and my hair dresser know about the hair loss.  I can still drink soda, and my appetite seems ok.  It seems like a lot of side affects, but after 27 years of suffering, missing school, work, being unable to care for my child, and missing out on life,  I'm willing to take some side affects.
I've been on Topomax (topamax) for about a year now, on 100mg a day.  
I've lost 60lbs and stopped taking it 2 weeks ago cold turkey.  I've developed some breakouts all over my body with water inside and they itch.  At first I thought it was an allergy, so I took Benadryl and some other anti-allergetics.  It did not help.  Then I've decided to try 50mg of Topomax (topamax) at night, and right away the itch was gone.  But I think its one of the side effects.  I don't have insurance or medical, so if anyone there had the same problem or could ask their doctor for me, it would help me a lot.
Thank You.
Did u stop taking it because u don't have insurance anymore? I would never go cold turkey on this med!!!
I started on Topomax (topamax) in 2005 for migraines. I was on Nortriplyne
for about 6 years, maybe more, it worked for some time but made me so tired towards the end that I would actually fall asleep at my computer at work and driving ( I had to slap myself, literally) to stay awake. It just wasn't helping anymore so the Dr. changed my med to Topomax (topamax). He worked me up to 100 mg. and I changed into Satan, I was horrible. I couldn't stand myself. I lost weight instantly (which was great because I had gained almost 50 lbs. from the meds I was taking for 6 years) I had to stop taking the Topomax (topamax) for awhile because I was getting UTI's and had to go to get all checked out for that. It turned out the infection had nothing to do with the Topomax (topamax) and the Dr. put me back on it but at only 50 mg. which I take in the morning. I do have to take an antidepressant now because I find myself weepy if I don't. I find my migraines come less frequently but when I'm under alot of stress there's nothing that is gonna stop them. I do take Imitrex and I get Botox injections every 4 months. I have lost 50 lbs, I went from a size 14 to a 4, everyone says I'm too thin. I do have to force myself to eat sometimes and would like to gain a couple of more lbs.( How I suffer, eating ice-cream every night, huh?) I would recommend this med for anyone who has tried others and has had no success. Feel free to Email me if u have any questions and Good Luck. Nobody really knows what it's like to suffer with these horrendous migraines unless your lucky like us!!!
I know, I thought I could handle it.  I can, mentally, but the skin irritation is something I did not expect.  
I'm actually going to my neurologist on Tuesday so I'll ask him if it's a side effect. Since I wrote and said my migraines were better I've had 2 so I'll probably have to get my Topomax (topamax) upped
25 mg. I'll check it out for u though.
Thank you
I have suffered with migraines for many years.  My DR. finaly decided to try Topamax.  This medication has been a miracle drug for me.  I was having debilitating headaches 2-3 a week. Since I started the medication they are more like 2-3 per month.  I is much more tolerable this way.  I did loose some weight and had a significant decrease in my appetite with this medication.  My DR was able to stabalize this by splitting my dose.  Instead of taking 100 mg in the am I take 50 in the am and 5o in the pm.  I did go from a size 16 to a size 12 before my wight loss stabled.  I have been able to keep the weight off very well though while on this medication.
I am so glad to have found this site, but see there are not many current posts. How is everyone doing with  the topomax (topamax)? I am only on 25 mg, plus lexapro. I find I feel very tired. I take it late at night but then have a difficult time waking. I have been on this combination for one month. Did anyone else have the extreme tiredness?
I see you are also on the Effexor XR along with Topomax (topamax) - what side effects did the doctor say you would experience on coming off of the medication - to become pregnant and what are the chances of birth defects, if any?
I am glad to see your posting so current - I don't know why there is only 3 of us that are within the last 30 days of this chat site for Topamax users.  I am a 2 mos. user on topamax and have a lot of questions and concerns - the doctor increased my dosage and I am starting to have the anxiety again and the weird dreams - jitters - I am also on the Effexor XR 37.5 mg. At first that kept the anxiety under control - but since he increased my topamax dosage I'm feeling a little strange again.   And I am starving all the time but loosing weight?!?!?
    Hi I am currently 25yrs old and have suffered with horrible migraines for most of my life. Starting in about third grade. Before starting Topamax I was having a minimum of 5 migraines a WEEK. It was horrible. I could barely work and since I mostly stayed home with my two small children it was really hard. I also had suffered with depression mostly after having babies and was taking Effexor XR. I was having a horrible time losing weight after having my boys. well I finally found a Dr. who thought my Migraines were a priority since no other Dr. did they just put me on anti-depressants and gave me narcotics to helps with the migraine pain.
    The anti depressants were actually messing with my seritonin and causing migraines and my frequent migraines were causing depression. Then to add to the mix the vicodin for my migraines was actually making me more depressed. In the end it was all keeping me from losing weight and being able to enjoy life. My Dr. took me off the Effexor saying that actually topamax works as a mood stabilizer with your seritonin helping also with depression so it is actually not good to take with other seritonin  altering drugs and started me on the topamax once I was fully weaned off.
    I am now only taking my Topamax and I take 50mg a day. My migraines have gone from 5 or more a week to about 2 a month. My depression is pretty much under control ( I say pretty much since my husband & I just moved with the military and it has been hard on me). I have not noticed this miracle weight loss and I do not think you will either, but I have noticed that I do not "binge" eat as much. I am not nearly as much of an emotional eater and I am a little less hungry. Now if I follow my stomach and do what my stomach feels. That is not eat if I am not hungry than I do mantain my weight and have been able to lose about 10lbs since going on Topamax but if I folow habit and follow back into my "old" ways even thought I really don't feel like eating I just do because it seems like "fun then I struggle. I have also found that keeping some fiber wafers in the house for my emotional weak moments have helped alot.
  I have now been taking Topamax for about 3 months or so and I think it is great! Oh does anybody else get pins & needles feeling in there face??? Or fingers and feet??? Sometimes my fingertips go numb? Or my eyes twitch. It seems only to happen though if I get really stressed out or dehydrated. Also does anyone know how great of a risk it is to get pregnant even if on birth control? my pharmacist said that Topamax can lower the effectiveness of birth control. I hope everyone else is doing great and hopefully feels awesome.
  Hi Terri50 just wanted to let you know that I had extreme fatigue atleast when I first started taking it. I didn't know that was a side effect at first so I was taking it in the morning since I thought that would be better and I would actually fall asleep on a whim during the day. I switched to taking it at night and now it is better but until I really adjusted to it. Like just recently in the last 2-3wks I was scared I wouldn't be able to wake up in the middle of the night if there was an emergency. In fact there was a few night my husband couldn't get me up when our son woke up. I did seem to adjust thank goodness since my husband is gone overbight alot now with the military. So there is hope:-) I think I have been taking it for 3-4 months now.
I started taking topamax about 6 wks ago and am up to 300 mg. Have lost 8lbs. I am on it for seizures. I was on Dilantin for 25 yrs and my dr. wanted to switch meds and I read topamax can cause weight loss and I had put on 15 lbs to I talked him into letting me go on it but I am having my doubts now. I am feeling really psychotic!! I feel sometimes like I am on extacy or some other mind altering  drug...I have total feelings of electric currents running thru my body ...it started on my toes and now its even on my tongue. I am starting a new job where I will be running a spa and I  am scared they will think I am a loony toon cause I will be spacing out or I can't stop talking or I panic about something. My doctor wanted me up to 400 mg. but I am seeing him next week...I thought I would be used to it by now but this feeling of electricity running thru me is too bizarre. The first two weeks on it I would wake up with panic attacks but those subsided. I thought anything was worth it to lose weight but I don't know...I was a real binge eater and sugar addict and that has totally stopped. I don't even think about eating until  my stomach is growling so bad that I can't stand it anymore and I am so desperate I have to eat something and then it is only out of necessity.  
I Just started on Topomax (topamax) 25mg today for Bipolar, migraines and weightloss.  I am so glad to have found this site, because I thought I was going to have to stop taking since I was having tingling in my fingers. I hope this works, all of your stories are great! Thanks, I will keep you posted.
I started Topomax (topamax) 3 weeks ago for severe migraines that were causing one sided facial numbness. It was worked and for that i am EXTREMELY thankful. but I did NOT need the weight loss. I have lost 10lbs in the 3 weeks I have been on it. I am 5'8" and only weighed 130lbs to begin with and now am at 120lbs. I am extremely frustrated because now I feel as if I have traded the migraines that were debilitating for an eating disorder. I don't eat unless I absolutely MAKE myself force food down my stomach and I know I am beginning to look ill. This is crazy.
I was reading a few of these reviews and noticed that there seemed to be a lot of people who had recently began treatment with this drug. I have been taking it for over a year- almost 2. I began taking it for migraines- 50mg/day. I noticed the benefits almost immediately which was remarkable since I had tried several other meds. both preventitive and PRN (I finally also discovered RELPAX for attacks). Additionally, I lost 35 pounds w/in 3 months! I dropped from 140 to 105 which was pretty dramatic. I didn't know when it was 1st perscribed that this medication reduces appitite. HOWEVER... after about 6 months of useage, my appitite returned. I kept the weight off for about another 6 months because I was very thin, but today I weighed myself & I am back up to 125. My migraines are still much better than they were, so I continue to take the pills every day. For those of you who find that they feel "tingly", dry mouth, or insomnia, I would say that these effects will diminish onece your body gets used to the medication. If you have trouble sleeping, try taking the dose in the am instead of before bed. If you take 2X daily, take the 1st dose as early as possible & then the 2nd dose before dinner. Hope this helps! Good luck.
Does anyone know if u can take Topamax with Cymbalta?
I have been taking Topomax (topamax) 100mg at night for 8 months to counter the weight gain from the side effect of taking Zyprexa. It has worked very well in taking off the 40lbs that Zyprexa had helped me to put on and has kept my appetite controlled to maintain my weight and drop a few lbs every month. The weight is slowly coming off but I have noticed a change in my appetite to eat less at meals and to eat more often during the day instead of gourging myself at meals and eating less meals.
From reading thru the messages, one thing seems to be clear that if it relieves migraines(and coming from someone who has tried a lot of medication to counter Bipolar), if it keeps you functional and makes you happy and makes you feel as normal as what you think normal is, then it's doing something good. For any medical questions you should try www.webmd.com
I am writing for my wife who is bipolar.  She has just been prescribed topomax (topamax) by her psych.  She has been told that she is chemically resistant.  She has been through every FDA approved drug for bipolar.  She has been through ECTs (18).  None have helped.  The ECTs helped with a mania.  But they did not seem to help with her cycle of going up and down.  She is more down than up.

She feels medical science has failed her.  I cannot disagree.

Any comments from bipolars would be greatly appreciated.

Hi!
I just started taking Topomax (topamax) 25 mg today.  I have had migraine headaches for the past 4 to 5 years.  However, they are worse since I have had a complete hysterectomy.  The doctor says that Premarin may be the cause.  Is anyone taking Premarin along with the Topomax (topamax).  I hace been reading the side effects.  I am about 50 lbs. overweight, so this would be a plus.  However, I am already very forgetful.
Thanks!
hi all. i just started taking topomax (topamax) today for migrains and am pretty concerned about all of your findings. i liked the fact that weight loss is an added bonus for some, however all of the other side effect concern me. i have a 2 mth old and a 7 year old. my 7 year old has nightmares, i dont want them! and depression, i had that and dont want it back, i do however have anxiety, does anyone know if this medicine will help with that?
Topamax has been a wonderful drug for me but unfortunatly i have been off it since May because of insurance issues and boy everything comes back including my migraines EVERY  other day it is miserable thank goodness new insurance kicks in on Nov.1 st so i suggest no matter the side effect unless unlivable anything is better then a migraine!! I found it also to be quite a mood stabilizer but i did find the memory loss to be disturbing and the not being able to find the word you were looking for while speaking.
I am a person who has been labeled borderline bipolar which means I'm functional in society.  I hold down a good job and I take Topamax (200 mgs) along with Prozac(20 mg) every day.  I've taken Topamax for over a year. Since July of 2006.  And I lost 78 pounds.  A wonderful thing, but it did not cure my feelings of anxiety or the ups and downs of bipolar illness.  My doctor told me it was a mood stablizer, never referring to it as being used for seizures, migraines or weight loss.  I discovered those things on my own. I discovered the weight loss on my own too. It was shocking to one day be walking through the mall and realize..."Hey these shorts don't fit me  I need to buy new clothes...like now."  It was crazy, and the beginning of a weight loss journey that was incredible.  If anyone wants to know about they can write me back.  I'll be glad to share.

Be aware additionally if you are a woman and taking this medication of the possibility of it messing with your monthly cycle if you lose a lot of weight as I did. Make sure to get your blood work checked frequently so that nothing is happening that shouldn't be happening to you.  Unfortunately for me, now I live with the complication of the stress of infertility. My doctors are great and working it out with me, but had I known then what I know now, I might have chosen a different path with my medicine.  Be aware of the side affects of all medications that you take before you take them, I wish I had.
I suffered from migraines for 15 years; about 2 a week. I went on Topamax and now I am up to 200 mg a day. I have not had a one migraine since Labor Day. I have lost about 13 pounds but I am on slim fast as well. I have tingling in my hands and heels and trouble with my train of thought. So far so good. I hope it continues to go well, I also am on no other medication and feel ok the rest of the time. I could afford to lose another 25 pounds but no more, so maybe I will stop the slim fast soon. If the Topamax has anything to do with it.
I HAVE EEEN ON TOPOMAM FOR 12 WEEKS AND LOST 20 POUNDS AS OF NOW IT HAS BEEN AMAZING FOR ME, A OF TINGLING IN MY TOES BUT THE ONLY SIDE EFFECT. I'M THRILLED. EIGHT POUNDS TO GO. DEPAKOTE PUT THE WEIGHT ON ME AND TOPOMAX (topamax) HELPED ME TO TAKE IT OFF.GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE
I was originally put on Topamax for the prevention of cluster headaches/migraines.  Seemed to work very well and I lost 20 lbs over the course of 2 years. First bad symptom was when I had originally been prescribed 25mg, twice a day - Dr thought it needed to be 'upped' to 'normal dosage', so after taking 100mg a day, developed the sensation of a 'burnt tongue' - physician thought it was a sinus infection, until that medication did not clear it up, so he delved into the symptoms of Topamax - very deep - and found that there could be different sensations of the mouth.  I went back to the 25mg, 2 times a day, since that was working quite well all along and I couldn't understand why I would have to take more than necessary.  After feeling good,  & many, many less headaches, my hair started to break off and fall out.  This was excessive, and since I had long hair, very disturbing.  It would be 'in a pile' after combing through it - I was treating my hair like a baby's.  Looked on the internet and found out that many experience this symptom also, after taking it for a while.  I stopped it immediately - now use Axert when I get a migraine; gained back the weight (which was easily kept off during the use of Topamax, but not worth bad hair).
Hope you do not experience this - I would never take it again. PS -  Depakote did absolutely nothing for me.
My physician just put me on topomax (topamax) last Thursday. I have been taking effexor XR for four years and have gained a total of 16 lbs. I exercise regulary and can't lose weight, that's why I went back to see him.Had I not been exercising I probably would have gained 50lbs instead of 16. He said it was do to the effexor. I started topomax (topamax) Thursday night, 25 mg daily, I am sleepy, lathargic, lazzy. I don't want to get out of bed.All I have done is SLEEP.  I am weaning myself off of the effexor. Someone please tell me that these symptoms will subside. I thought this was to help with my mood and replace the effexor, I am not to increase the topomax (topamax) until I decrease the effexor again. I am at a lost. I know I can't live like this.
My Dr. has recently suggested I take Topomax (topamax) for my monthly mingraine headaches. I am leary of taking this drug. I currently take Imitrex for migraines, which seems to help now & then. I usually get a migraine once a month, right before my period. I also take Zoloft 100mg, and Xanax 0.5mg, for depression and anxiety. I'm wondering if the side effects of sleepiness, hair loss, and memory loss are worth taking this drug. The only good side effect may be the possible weight loss, which would be helpful. Wondering if it's worth it.
I noticed that some people are extremely tired taking Topamax. This is my problem. I am currently taking 50 MG and 10 MG of Lexapro and Im extremely tired at all times. I want to sleep all the time and I do sleep 9 hours a night and wake up tired. This is my only adverse sideeffect. I do have minimal memory loss and work reterival problems but nothing that extreme. Is anyone taking not Lexapor.Topamax together and if so are you constantly tired? Im considering going off the Lexapro to see if I notice a difference.
Over the last 20 years I've been on Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac,and Effexor.  I've gained 125 pounds but now doctor ever mentioned that this was a side effect of anti-depressants.  My effexor was a very low dosage and I found myself with a lot of confusion and all the rest that goes with depression,  He put me on 5 mg of zyprexa to be taken with effexor and later doubled my effexor.  Emotionally I have never felt better, BUT the last 25 pounds were gained in this 2 months.  He then started me on Topomax (topamax).  I start the 3rd week tomorrow.  I have already lost 10 of the 25 pounds.  I love it- an appetite suppressant that affects my taste buds.  Certainly feeling full doesn't usually stop a depressed person from eating.  So, for the first time in my life, I feel encouraged.  At 52 years old, after raising 2 beautiful daughters and 2 more almost raised, I actually feel like I might really be able to lose this weight.  By the way, no tingles (yet) and I still LOVE my coffee!
I began taking topomax (topamax) to counter the weight gain I had from being on Seroquel when I was hospitalized for depression.  I had also been diagnosed possibly bipolar and borderline.  Nothing I could do would help me lose the weight.  So I started to take It.  I had no side effects, except in the beginning I had itchy skin, no tingling, no sleepiness, a small bit of forgetfulness, but it is gone, I lost the weight, and best of all , my mood stabilized wonderfully--better than on any other mood stabilizer I have ever been on.  This drug has been like a miracle for me and I don't know what I would do with out it.  I know I am very lucky compared to many of the people posting here.  I don't have nightmares or headaches, no more itchy skin, no tingling, lost my weight, and I can handle being alone which I would go crazy over before.  I am so grateful for topomax (topamax).
After suffering from migraines all my adult life, my doctor decided to put me on Topomax (topamax). I had never suffered from any other signs of depression or numbness until then. I had started on a lower dosage and was moved up. At first I was feeling great and I even lost some weight, but I soon started feeling numb and tingling. I did lose the taste for pop but most other foods were fine. After being on my full dosage ( I believe 150mg ) for about 1 week I thought I was going crazy!!! I found myself dazing,even as I was driving. I would start crying for no reason at all. I felt as if I was letting life go by as I spaced out. I even broke down to a close friend and asked her to not let me go crazy. I cried to my nurse to get me into the doctor as soon as possible. They did test after test believing that it couldn't be the Topomax (topamax) and she urged me to stay on it. All the test results came back good. And when I went home I flushed the Topomax (topamax). Besides a migraine once a week...I feel great. I was told that this drug is used for seizures and I think that is what should stay at. I believe it numbs your brain and anyone thinking about it should stay away from it!!!! If I had seen this site ahead of time things may have turned out different.
hi im on 50mg of topamax, 50 years old and suffered migraines my whole life and the last 5 after a facial shingle outbreak a daily occurence, so topamax was a saviour, from weekly mirgraines to one every 5 weeks was blessful. BUT i have had anough of not having control of y life, yes the weight control is great, but all the other side effects that know make sense after reading this site, have come clear, i have had enough of feeling tired, fuzzy, life passing me by, depressed, sad, tearful, paralzyed, tinging, numb, all of those side effects, are not worth giving up control of ones life, whats a day if it passes without living it, whats a day when it passes in a daze of wishing you were in bed. horrible. ge up. work. go home. cook dinner. bed. day in day out. chores. bed. nighmares. everything a chore. days off no fun becausse your so tired. topomax (topamax) has taken my choice to have a life.
angie.
I am a former school teacher also.  Going in to class with a migraine was the pits.  I am now retired but still do not like the headaches.  I am now paying $114 for 9 Imitrex pills (thanks to Medicare part D), I was paying $40, which i thought was a lot, but it looks better to me now.

I was on Elavil (got so thirsty), and started Imitrex in 1997, which was a G-dsend.  now my migraines have gotten worse and the neurologist has prescribed Topamax 25 mg 2x a day for me.  

I have been on many antidepressants since my husband passed away in 2002.  I stopped them last July 2007.  I do not know if I feel any different but this year I did not cry like I had been for the past 6 years.

I have not started yet.
What are the awful side effects I should expect?

Janie
I was on topomax (topamax) for 2 years for migraines.  After about 8 months I started losing weight.  I went from a size 10 to a size 2.  I've always been a 9/10 my whole life.  Being a tiny 2 for a year and a half was great.  I Lost my insurance so I couldn't afford my prescriptions any longer.  My eating habits during the topomax (topamax) usage didn't change other than I realized I could eat hot fudge sundaes at midnight and not be effected.  Now, I'm back to my regular eating habits (no sweets at all) with the exception of Smaller portions and nothing seems to work, the weight just keeps COMING BACK.  I'm now in a size 6 and afraid to eat anything.  The only TRUE weight loss is no calories and stress !! ha.  I hope this helps all who are trying to lose weight with this drug.  If you stop taking it, the weight WILL COME BACK.
Jill
You can only go by what your body tells you. But, since 1982 i have had migranes (migraines) from a ceberal aneurysm and topamax, (200mg that is 2x a day)the most you can take, and the other pill is another godsend, to me MIDRIN. They work.. Midrin, is for the onset, everybody told me it was stress, depression, take all those anxiety pills and i kept telling them no. I know what a headache is.You know too. Specialists at big hospitals said you depressed,no your making me angry,so my doctor listened really good to me and heard,one thing, my life was crazy, topamax,with zoloft would work. But i would sleep all the time.  So by putting zoloft at bedtime, now i am wide awake all day. If you sleep during the day, ask your doctor to put one of your pills at bedtime. As for the tingling, and numbness, change your position, on the way you are sitting. Mine comes from using my hands alot to. If you run out of insurance they have that montel williams bus insurance,(PPA) 1-888-477-2669 or www.PPARx.org and don't forget walmart has there $4.00 perscription plan, you can pick it up at the store or look at it on the web site and get your doctor to give you one of those, for a 3 months supply.  If you take topamax and don't think about the side affects, you will not notice them. I only tell my husband things, if i hide them, because i am a forgetful person, even with or without the topamax.
I've been using Topomax (topamax) for two weeks to help prevent severe migranes (migraines) which were combined with numbness of the tongue, face and arms. I've only been suffering with migranes (migraines) for a couple of months so my heart goes out to all of you who have been suffering for so long.

My migranes (migraines) started once a week with the numbness and then they were a little less severe with no numbness but I had them every day. I took Topomax (topamax) once a day for the first week and my headaches were relieved but were not completely gone. The second week I was instruced to take it 2x a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. It was then I started to feel relief. The headaches have gone away for the most part but quite often I feel naseous at random times. My appetite has decreased and I can go all day without eating if I didn't get naseous. I usually eat only because I feel naseous not because I'm hungry. I find it easier to eat if food is in front of me but definitely out of sight out of mind. My mouth is dry all the time and I'm always craving water and I'm not a lover of water. Forget soda! It doesn't taste right. It fizzles in my mouth and then leaves a burning feeling. I have noticed that my hands and toes get tingly sometimes so I'm glad to read that it's a side effect from the Topomax (topamax). I was worried it may be another part of my body getting numb since I suffer from that symptom. I have noticed that I've been very irritable lately but I thought that it was because my dr took me off the birth control pill since Topomax (topamax) decreases the effectiveness of it. After reading your comments, I'm thinking it may be an effect of the Topomax (topamax) or a combination of the two.  I've been snipping at everyone. My emotions are totally out of wack. I don't know what I'm feeling anymore. I go back to the neurologist on July 15th so I'll see what he says. Thank you for all your comments, they were all very, very helpful.
I am considering taking Topomax (topamax) for weight loss. I am approaching 50 years old and have tried everything to lose 30 lb. Are the side effects worth it? Any advice is very appreciated.
I have been taking Topamax for almost 2 months now.  I have horrible migraines that completely wipe me out. I am very irritable and extremely tired all the time. I am a single mom with two small children and can't afford to be snapping at them all the time.  I only take 25 mg in the mornings.  The doc told me to take it at night but I couldn't fall asleep so he told me to take it in the mornings instead.  I have had no success with weight loss.  I could stand to lose about 30 lbs.  I was hoping for this side effect to kick in soon.  I walk two miles each day and go to the gym 2-3 times a week.  I just do not have enough energy to function.  All I want to do is sleep when I get home from work.  Something seems very wrong.  Does anyone have any advice?  Thanks!
HI, i take zoloft for OCD and tourettes and my doctor prescribed me topomax (topamax) for mood swings and weight loss, because i have gained 80 pounds in the 7 years that i have been on zoloft(weight gain has been in the last 4 years) I havn't started  the topomax (topamax)  yet cause i am scared of the side affects. are they worth it?

anyone with similar situations?

has anyone had seizures because of the topomax (topamax), cause i have heard tht that is a side affect?
thanks
I am surprised the 2 mile daily walking is not helping you lose weight.  Have you had your thyroid checked?  I know the migraines can be awful.  I have been suffering with them for too many years.  Perhaps your doctor can prescribe Xanax for you as well?  Just a suggestion.  I only recently started Topamax so I do not know the weight loss results, I sure could stand to lose 30 lbs as well.  
I wish you the best.  Keep us posted.  If I could I would walk 2 miles daily.  Good Luck.
Hi, I am Pauline from Kimberlley, South Africa.  I have Rapid Cycle Bi Polar and have been taking Topamax 200mg for the past 3 years.  It was a last resort as none of the other mood swing inhibitors worked for me.. We encountered huge problems with the medical aid as it is not recognised as a treatment for Bi Polar in South Africa.  I have not experienced any weight loss from taking Topamax but that is probably due to the fact that I also take 120mg Cymbalta and 400mg Serequel..  Surprisingly, the medical aid discontinued my Trepeline 100mg for some unknown reason and despite all the medication that I take my Bi Polar is not under control.  I have a full time job and am too exhausted at the end of the day to even consider exercise, and I only eat when I have to prepare food for my husband or kids (when they are at home).

Good luck to the rest of you
Pauline
I was recently prescribed 50mg am/pm per day of topomax (topamax) and Im hesitant to start my medication. Im bipolar and have used alcohol to self medicate. Im concerned with the effects alcohol will have when mixed with Topomax (topamax). Anyone have any experience, good or bad.

As well I dont need extra energy, I have plenty of that. I need sleep. All the talk of tingling scares me. I can see that giving me a panic attack. As far as weight loss, Im 5'3 117lb. like any normal american woman I want to be thinner, but Im not taking this medication for that reason. I just want to feel level and not trade one set of problems for another. Is it worth it?

Not to sound rude it just seems like most of the postings Ive read are people hoping to lose weight. I just want to feel better. Whatever that means.
OK gang ... going to throw a new one out to you! I am a 10 year post op bariatric patient (and bariatric medical professional) who has successfully lost 175 lbs and was just 20 pounds shy of my target BMI goal weight (we all know that BMI scale is ridiculous anyway! LOL) I had a very difficult year as my Dad lost his valiant battle with cancer and I gained 20 pounds back (20 + 20 = 40lbs). Well, again, I work in medicine and know what to do as far as diet, exercise, dealing with the "demons" - - but I just could not get the scale to move more than 5,6,7 pounds. I even completely eliminated dairy! I begged my surgeons to consider trialing me on some of the new weight loss medications to help me get back in control - they would not hear of it.  So, I went to a bariatrician and metabollic doctor out at a very highly regarded health care facility who looks at obesity from a cellular level. I am NOT a medication taker but I agreed to trial some of the new medications being used for weight loss side-effects ... one of them being Topamax. I must tell you that I am quite surprised at the rapid results and how much I feel in control again. Not that I was out of control - I just have a handle on the grazing - the mindless, unplanned eating. Even picking at veggies! The mad-sad-happy-glad kinda eating ... GONE! I have lost 23 pounds in 4 weeks (keep in mind I will lose quicker as I am gastric bypass) and I have never felt better. I am on wellbutrin to curb the cravings and a low dose of phentermine - all until I reach my target weight. I may stay on the anti-depressant as this is the first time that I have ever been on one and I feel that it helps. There is something in the Topamax that almosts causes an anorexic like aversion to food. I am eating but making very healthy, very controlled food choices. I predict that regain following bariatric procedures, long term, will become an epidemic, as more people become farther post surgery, and medication, along with a more structured diet, will come into play to maximize long term success.

PS. Side effects : some tingling in the fingers, ringing in the ears???
I went on topamax several weeks ago for migraines and also found some relief for mood disorder on this drug.  From several comments I have read I understand several individuals have also found significant weight loss as a positive side effect.  I could stand to drop some added weight also.  Since I have been on topamax I have not lost a pound in fact I feel as I have gained weight.  I exercise daily, watch what I eat ,drink minimal alcohol and do not have any health issues contributing to weight gain. I am currently at 200mg.  What doses are people taking where they are also dropping weight?  Any suggestions?  Has anyone heard of someone gaining weight on this drug? Thanks.
Sabrina 129
Since I have been on Topamax, I have found that everything I eat tastes "tinny".  Has anyone else experienced this?
I am only on 25mg 2x a day.
Has anyone experienced hair loss with Topomax (topamax)?  I've been on 50 mg for 5 weeks prescribed for migrane (migraine) preventive.  I did loose about 5 pounds and I feel really good.  I've also been on a mood stabilizer - Lamical for about 9 months so I know the new drug I'm taking may be the source of the hair loss.  So, recluctantly.  I stopped taking Topomax (topamax) two nights ago and my hair doesn't seem to fall out after I wash it. It's still too early to tell how much more hair I'll loose.  I'll I don't want to discontinue using Topomax (topamax) but I can't afford to loose my hair.  
Hello.I am Lori, from Arkansas.I have recently started Topomax (topamax) for migranes (migraines) 100 mg./day. I was so relieved as I read all of your comments. I have went for days wondering why my sodas all tasted flat.lol  I have also experienced some tingling in the heels and fingers and also different food tastes, but nothing unbearable. I am hoping for the weight loss effect of this med as well. I have noticed the dry mouth an being thirsty alot and almost total loss of appetite unless I feel nauseated.But, no changes on the scales yet, seeing as I have only taken the Topomax (topamax) for going on 3 weeks now. I really enjoyed reading your comments,They were really helpful to me.Although, I have to say, the  comments on "hair loss" and "memory loss" with Topomax (topamax) is very scary tome..being a single mother of three small children.
Hi Lori,
I am on a much smaller dosage (25mg 2x a day) and I have that funny taste in my mouth.  I stopped taking it for a while but started again.  No drastic weight loss but yes, headaches have subsided (and that was my rpimary reason for taking it).  Weight loss is welcome though.

True on the thirsty feeling also, and I also find I am putting food in my mouth just to get rid of the tinny taste.  No hair loss, but then I have such long thick hair, I do not think it would matter.  I wish you success and hug those 3 little ones for me.
I drink 1 beer with dinner each night, but then I find I don't want a second.  No side effects from alcohol, but the tingling heel stuff happens several times a day. Beer doesn't taste the same as it used too, which *****, because I LOVE beer, like some people love wine.  Doc also said it takes 12 weeks for Topomax (topamax) to fully saturate your bodies chemistry and work properly...did anyone elses doc advise them of same?  I've been on it for 7 weeks.  Haven't lost a pound.  PS.   I have a 5mm colloid cyst in brain and am a migrain sufferer - that's why I take Topomax (topamax). -Painfreeplease in Las Vegas.
Man I am REALLY glad I read alot of these.  I am about to be on my 3rd week of this med and my biggest gripe is the way my tonge feels.  It feels like I burned it and I cannot taste things like they should.  But from the sounds of it, it seems normal.  The tingling and stuff would be hard for me to judge cuz I am always losing feeling in my hands and feet anyhow.  And as far as the weight loss have not lost any yet.  On it for constant migraines though.  started with 25mg a day, just got finished with 25mg 2x a day, now I am going to 25mg in the am and 50mg in the pm.  I hope that this feeling goes away on my tongue soon, it hurts ALOT!!!

Tina
Just started on Topamax a week ago for weight loss.  So far no bad side effects.  I'm on 50 mg now, but am supposed to go up to 100mg by the end of the month.  I think I'm a little groggy in the morning and hope this won't get worse since I have to go to work and can't be too groggy to work or drive.  I had some tingling in one  hand today but not too bad.  I seem to be kind of hyper which is unusual for me. I've lost 3 pounds.  I'm just wondering about getting off this medication when you loose the weight.  Do you have to say on it for the rest of your life?  I really didn't want to be addicted to something.  I'm already on thyroid medication and Celebrex.  Has anyone aleady lost the weight they needed to and then gotten off the medication?

Val
I've been taking Topamax for about 3 weeks now.  I first started at 25mgs at night only.  My Dr had suggested I also take L-Tyrosine (500-1000mgs) in the morning while I was taking the Topamax to counteract any memory problems.  The first few days I didn't take the L-Tyrosine...I'd forgotten to pick it up at the health food store...and I was EXHAUSTED those first few days.  I decided to try to L-Tyrosine to see if it helped...and it helped tremendously!  The first 2 days I tried just the 500mg dose in the morning, which seemed to help a little...about the amount a big cup of coffee would normally maybe.  I then went up to the 1000mg dose,  and it made a huge difference for me!  I feel better than I have in YEARS!  
Interestingly enough...I recently read something about a study that was done, that showed that longterm use of SSRI's actually depletes the amount of dopamine in your brain!  L-Tyrosine is the amino acid which is eventually turned into dopamine!  I found this very interesting since I have taken Welbutrin for several years now.  
Just thought I would share, thought this information may be of help to someone!
Hi, I've been on Topamax for Migraines for 6 years and I have to say I am virtually migraine free. I also have Fibromyalgia so I do get some breakthrough neurological breakthrough migraine like pain but that is it.  My dose its 150 mg.  I also take Wellbutrin for Depression and energy 225mg. and Cymbalta I just started for the neuralgia in Fibromyalgia and depression 40mg.  I don't do well with SNRI's because of the serotonin part.  I don't lose weight when I'm on them because my digestive system slows down .  
We have serotonin receptors in our intestines which respond to the SSRI in these meds my dr. told me that is why I get "backed up".

I don't know what it is that still has me having difficulty losing weight.  In the last year I was on Topamax, Wellbutrin, annnnnnnnndddddddd Effexor, which could be the reason.  I was doing the "Nutrisystem" diet and in 10 months I only lost 16 lbs.  Now on their website they have chat threads like this one.  I was the slowest loser on the "Slow Poke" thread LOL !!!  I stuck to it though.  Now that I am off Effexor for 3 months and just on Cymbalta for one week and eating what I darn well please.  I have not gained!!!  Keep in mind Effexor has an effect on our Cholesterol also. I do not like that stuff, I had a headache for two years, a dull ache at the back of my head on it.

To NOMOREMIGRAINp.LZ - LTyrosine and it helps with memory problems due to Topamax?  People with FM have slow depletion in their hippocampus and eventually memory problems, but for me it is sporatic so I thought maybe it is not my brain and now you say it could be Topamax! Plus L-Tyrosine can help, YAY!! Thanks  YOU HELPED me.

I hope I have helped someone with my experience.
I have been on Topamax since June of 2007.  Started with 100mg/daily and gradually built up to 400mg/bid by raising the amount every 4 weeks.  I lost 20 lbs in the first month, 30 in the second month, 40 in the third month, and over the course of the next year I lost 140 lbs.  I then tapered down to 200mg/bid, which is what I'm taking now.  I was 300 lbs and now weigh 169.5 lbs.  I gained all that weight as a result of having my thyroid destroyed by radioactive iodine given to me to treat  Graves Disease, (which was a very bad choice) and then being prescribed sythetic thyroid hormone, which my body didn't absorb well.  After many years, I found the natural Armour thyroid is much better (regardless of what most doctors try to tell you.)  
I've also been prescribed almost every antidepressant in the book over the last 30 years, most of which cause weight gain.  I'm currently on Wellbutrin SR 450mg.  I take 300mg in the morning, 150mg at night.  I take numerous other meds for blood pressure, fibromyalgia, allergies, anxiety and a few vitamin supplements.  I cannot take my thyroid with milk or any dairy products, calcium or iron supplements, or anything containing walnuts, so I take it early in the morning and go back to bed, taking the rest 4 hours later.
My 2 blood pressure meds are Quinapril which is a potassium saver, and Hctz, a water pill, which causes me to lose potassium and get leg cramps if I don't take a potassium supplement every other day.
My doctor prescribed vitamin D3-5, 5,000 IU every day because I was very deficient.  Also 1500mg calcium/daily.
I take One-A-Day Women 50+Advantage, milk thistle to cleanse my liver and evening primrose to heal any damage done by free radicals and other debris including medications.
Topamax magnifies the affects of most other medications you take.  The initial side affects, like soda pop tasting funny, went away after a few months.  It has been terrific for me going through menopause because I don't sweat or have hot flashes since I started taking it.  But for that reason, I have to be careful about getting overheated when doing something strenuous.
I have not changed my eating or exercise habits, but I did start smoking again, a pack a day, after not smoking for over 5 year.  I do plan to quit again soon, which may somewhat affect my weight.  I'll see.  
I have recently noticed serious short term memory loss, which may be due to the combined effect of Topamax and recently starting to take Xanax 1mg/daily.  I'm cutting the night time dose of Topomax (topamax), slowly, by 50mg every 2 months so that I don't have a suddent weight gain.  My goal is to get down to 200mg daily and stay there.
Topamax has been a miracle drug for me both for weight loss and as a mood stabilizer/antidepressant, but some people just can't tolerate it at all.  I tend to be highly resistant to all drugs, which may help.  There seems to be extreme differences in how it affects people, and I suspect part of that is due to the amplifying effect Topamax has on most other meds.  
I have no intentions of every discontinuing taking it all together.
manxway
I started taking Topamax 25mg 2x a day, 5 months later my liver enzymes shot up beyond normal range (It should not be about 40 and it was 71) --So I went for an ultrasound after 2 blood tests showed this abnormality.  The ultrasound showed an enlarged liver.

I was directed to a gastroenterologist, he looked over my records and did a blood panel and he will check my blood again in a month during which I will stop taking TOPAMAX.  I am back to taking IMITREX for my headaches.

I do not want to do anything that will mess with my liver since that is a vital organ.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I have been on topamax for over a year now and I am up to 200 mg a day  I have lost over 100 pounds this year and look a lot different then I did when I started and I am grateful because I have been trying for so long to get this weight off but I didn't start these meds for that reason in particular  I am bipolar and I have a phobia about my weight so my doctor was trying to help me by not putting me on something that would cause me to gain weight but also in the year that I have been on this medicine I have lost 60% of my hair and still losing and have no clue why have developed weird rashes I have had the tingling in my feet and the strange taste and all that the only thing that bothers me is I want my hair to stop falling out ans start growing back I am trying to find out what is causing it I think this medicine may have some kind of effect on your adrenal gland but I cam not sure yet but I am still trying to find out I am in the middle of testing every possible reason if you know anything please contact me at ***@****
I have been taking topamax for about 6 months for really bad migraines.  Initially I experienced tingling in my fingers, complete loss of appetite, nausea (even vomiting), carbonated drinks tasted horrible, actually most foods tasted different even horrible, I was extremely tired and would lose my train of thought.  I lost 10 lbs in the first three weeks and have lost a total of 20 lbs.  I don't have any more to lose. Most of the side effects have gone away, except for the loss of appetite.

In listing all of the side effects I experienced, I must say that I would take them over my migraines any time.  I suffered from monthly migraines that would last up to 11 days with a recovery period of at least 7 days.  

I am on 100 mg (50mg am/50 mg pm) and recently because I still get migraines but for about 2 days once a month the dr. increased me to 200 mg.  The side effects came back in full force and I decided to go back to the 100 mg.  I mostly decided this because I can't afford to lose any more weight.  If the migraines get worse I will increase the dose and give it the time for the side effects to go away.  To me the side effects are worth it.  I was living 50% of my life in hell and in anxiety of the next migraine.
Hi have just browsed the posts, so not sure if anyone mentioned Thyroid conditions. Wow, although I have never tried Topomax (topamax), I have tried many different antidepressants. Those least likely to cause weight gain for myself have been, Paxil, and Cymbalta, Prozac not bad.
Wellbutrin, does decrease appetite, but it is not an SSRI.
Currently I am taking a medication for Migraines, as I have just started having them.
I found out that my TSH-Thyroid Stimulating Hormone was a 23. The normal range is .4 to 4.0. I basically had no metabolism.
I take Armour Thyroid, which is a T4/T3 combination. It is amazing how much better I feel after a few weeks. The T3 portion of the medication boosts mood, and helps other medications work more effectively.

Most Dr.'s will check TSH-Thyroid, but fail to test for Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies, or Free T4 or Free T3.
After my experience I would suggest that any woman insist that her Dr. test her TSH, T4, T3, also, Free T4 and Free T3 and be certain to have Thyroid Peroxidase Levels checked. If these are present, it means your Thyroid will eventually stop working, and you will need to take a Thyroid replacement for the rest of your life. Not a big deal. So many Woman go undiagnosed. Read about it on Wiki. Weight Gain, Depression, Migraines, ADHD, Bipolar, Anxiety Disorders, can all mimic a Thyroid condition. Endocronologists could put Psychiatrists out of business.
Hello everyone. I was prescribed Topomax (topamax) by my neorologist a few years ago fpr my migraines and they helped somewhat. I liked the weight loss side effect but since I was partial to my brain cells and was finding that I was losing my memory decided to stop taking it. I then went to see a top specalist in New York who prescribed Apo-nadol which I must tell you is a miracle drug.....I was all but free of migraines, however I seem to have gained weight (not sure if it was from this drug or just age, life, stress etc).
Last week I went back to Topomax (topamax) hoping to kick start my weight loss, )I need to lose about 40 lbs) but after a few days of taking only 25mg the side effects were so bad I dont knwo what to do. I am feeling, weak, faint, nauseous, so very tired, no energy, my memory has already been affected, headachey, increased appetite!! and just very very bad in general. I have stopped taking it because I just cant function while on it. ANd this is a pretty low dosage of 25mg.

Can anyone help me out??? Advise me as to what I should do? I am a real estate agent so a memory is kind of essential, not to mention energy. Should I continue taking it and ride out the side effects? HELP!!!
unlinke most all of yall my dr put me on topamax 25 because of ocd problem and to take it at night but lord have mercy, i cannot stay awake when it gets to be around lunch time, does this get better once the body gets used to it or not?
I have Epilepsy and suffer from various types of seizures ranging from Simple and Complex Partial Seizures to Gran Mal Seizures. It's a brain disorder I took on after severe head trauma from a car accident at the age of 6. You want to have Jesus Christ come in there and fix that for me? Thanks. {insert sarcasm here}
Hi my name is Crystal and I really enjoy reading all the comments on here! ai started taking topamax almost a month ago now on May 18th, and I have my first follow up appointment in the AM with my neurologist. I started on 25 mg's a day and am currently on 100 mg's a day now, which will most likely be my dosage for a while. I am on this medication for migaines. I will tell you my side effects of course :) ~tingling in extremities, lips, eyes ~loss of appetite ~forgetfullness(not like it's that new, LOL) ~diarrhea after every meal ~slurred speech(sometimes) Ok so yes I have had quite a few side effects and they seemed way worse at first, like I became very irritable at first, which is not me at all. It scared me a lot because I have a 5 month old son, but I soon snapped out of it,I would say it only lasted the first 4 or 5 days. I had a few horrible nightmares in the first few nights which also quickly subsided. I had a lot of numbness and tingling at first, now just here and there, so it's managable. I still have loss of appetite, which is quite fine by me because I can stand to lose some weight! Having a child definitely changed my body! So I can't wait to get weighed tommorrow! I'll keep you posted!
Ok It's Crystal again! I went to my first follow up appointment since being on the topamax. I have been on it since May 28th and today is June 15th, and I have already lost 11 pounds as of today, now that's quite amazing to me! I am really on the medication for migraines, but the weight loss is an added bonus in which AI will definitely not compain!!!!!!!!!!!   I was so happy but nervous when I stepped on that scale today, because i knew, just knew I had to lose at least a little bit, lol. Well I will keep you updated more and more! :)
congratulations to you for losing the weight and also being successful in reducing the migraines.

Your body will adjust to the medication and the side effects will go away.  I am only on 25mg/daily & I have seen a drastic reduction in my headaches.
I think as with every drug you try there is going to be side effects and our bodies react different. I personally like Topamax. I can deal with the tingling in my heals and fingers. (even as I type this!) I took 100 mgs for several months and my migraines were pretty well controlled. My neuro increased my dosage to 150 this past week because my headaches were coming back.  He is also adding Cymbalta to help with the stress induced migraines. I like the weight loss side effect. I am not overweight, but the 20 lbs I have lost have not hurt me at all!  

I take daily vitamins because I don't eat a lot and I know this. I am very pro-active and I try to keep a positive outlook on my life. If I sit here and worry about all the bad stuff, then all the bad stuff will happen! If I keep a positive attitude then only good stuff can happen! :)
My Dr put me on Topomax (topamax) two years ago.  I got very drowsy in the mornings.  The first few nights, I did get nightmares also but, they went away.  I am taking them for seizures so the does was high.  I am debating about going back on Topomas and Lamictal.  Has anyone ever tried this combination for seizures?
It took a long time, maybe 7 months for me to start getting relief from using topomax (topamax), and it helped me to go from 158 to 132, but it took time and I also exercised. I stopped taking it in August cuz me n hubby are trying to have a baby, but if I am not pregnant this month, we are gonna stop trying for a while til I get my weight under control. I was on 400mg and had to wean myself off of it before we could start trying. I decreased one pill every two weeks, then had to be off of it for a full month before we could start. I was unable to control my cravings and appetite during all this time and have gone from 135 to 162 in a very short period of time. I have started back exercising now. So topomax (topamax) did help with weightloss  and eventually helped with pain by decreasing the amount of migranes (migraines) I had per month. I may start taking it again if we are not pregnant this month, then wean myself off again when I reach my goal. This time I will do better with my appetite and cravings because I know what happened last time. Lots of luck to you and I hope this helped you in some way.
Zoloft is know to gain weight in patients. One will be cancelling out the other. Maybe go back to ur doc and see if there is an alternative med that would be suitable for you to try.best of luck.x
Hello, I been on topamax now for 2 wks 1 day and lost 10 lbs already, I saw my dr 3 wks ago and weighed in @ 248, went back today and weighted in @ 238, now that was a + to me but the bad part is that my memory is bad, I'm 34 yrs old who suffers from severe migraines( just finding out) with a 15 mnth old baby girl and its hard on a day to day basis with her,  I have to really write things down so I don't forget what to do, the dry mouth is crazy, u keep drinking water n chewing sugar free gum or something to keep your mouth moist, the funny taste you get in your mouth is unbearable, the numbness and tingling in the hand and feet are a mess at times. It has helped ease my migraines also out of a 30 day it's down to 20 now and much milder before on a scale of 1/10 it was a 12 now it a 7, so that's a huge plus for me. So if you can take a few downs with a huge plus like me , go for it, drink plenty of water, walk, exercise, do whatever makes you happy, get your life back in control
I have heard aabout huge weight gain with zoloft and also with other ssri antideoressants, and you are not at the level where eight loss is obtained  usually at 125 to 150 mg per day for the weight lossm try switching antidepressant to wellbutrin or effexor you may have better luck
dee