Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Weight Loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Weight Loss?

I suppose this question could fit into the mental health section too...but here it goes.

I am 25, female, and until recently, I have never had to try to lose weight. I've always been a skinny girl, and now I find that I'm 160 pounds. I've put on 20 pounds in roughly 6 months. o.O

I can attribute at least some of this to getting older, slowing metabolism, yaddayadda. I'm not the most active person, and I have a completely sedentary desk job. I'm pointing my finger primarily at Paxil. I've been on it for about 5 or 6 months now for anxiety issues...and I'm slowly starting to ween myself off of it because my husband and I want to try this baby thing our friends are doing.

Anyone else find they gained weight on Paxil?
How do you stay motivated?
How do you not have an anxious come apart every time you step on the scale?
This has never before been an issue for me, and I'm not sure how to handle it. Sure sure, eat well, exercise. I know that...but...where do I start? How do I start?
Any words of wisdom or encouragement appreciated...
Hi!
Well, weight gain is a less common side effect of Paxil, so yes, it could cause weight gain, especially if you do not watch what you eat and do not exercise.
First determine the number of calories you need to consume per day. You have to first calculate your basal metabolic rate depending on your lifestyle. There are many BMR calculators available on line. While they are not 100% accurate, they give you a rough idea regarding the number of calories required to maintain your basal metabolic functions. Eating more calories than this can cause weight gain. If you want to lose weight then you need to consume lesser calories than required for the basal metabolic functions. Also, since you can’t cut down calories drastically, you need to exercise to burn some calories. So if the net calorie consumption is less than need for basal metabolic function and burning of calories is reasonably good, you will start losing weight. You can get many charts online which show you how many calories you burn with a particular exercise. You can use this as rough guideline to help you with an exercise regimen that does not tire you out. These online sites also help you choose from a wide array of food items to build up your calorie need. You have to make a conscious effort to eat 3-4 small well planned meals spread throughout the day. This helps you burn calories better. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi!