Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Wellbutrin and weightloss in underweight person

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Hi people, i'm new but it's nice to be here!

I was prescribed Wellbutrin today and wanted to know if anyone has had any significant side-effects related to weight.  

I have heard it can help you lose weight but I was wondering if anyone thinks that even people who are underweight can see these effects.  My BMI is about 18 and I hope to lose another 5lbs.  I know it isnt exactly healthy to want to lose weight but, other than the weight, I am in perfect health.

So any personal accounts or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
If your BMI ia under 18.5 you are underweight and are putting yourself at some healthrisks. It is just as dangerous to be underweight as it is to be overweight.

Wellbutrin can cause weightloss this is true. But I am wondering are on Wellbutrin because you are displeased about your body? I applogize for making assumptions but from your post you seem to be happy about being able to lose more weight.
Thanks for replying Luke.

I know it's unhealthy to be underweight.  I would like to lose a little bit of weight.  I did not go on Wellbutrin for that reason.  Celexa was not working for me and this seems to be much better.  

I am also on Klonopin and I have heard Wellbutrin is actually a good match with it.  I just noticed the side effect of weightloss and was sort of happy about that.
but i think you are missing the point.  You are underweight now.. and losing more will only intensify that and make any health issues you have worse.  I am surprised your pcp has agreed to gie you anything that can cause any additional weight loss considering how thin you are now. Please reconsider your quest for the last 5 pounds.  It can have some ver serious reactions

I found a great place where you can find the medication you need to loss wieght.

I used to be over wieght 190 pounds. I took Phentermine and is really great.

Well here is my secret website: www.bestonlineforeignpharmacies.org

Also here is my e-mail: ***@****
Hello everyone,

I just started Wellbutrin about 3 weeks ago and have not noticed any weight loss. I was on celexa and my weight increased a lot.  Does anybody know how long before I see weight loss results?  Although I have been feeling better...I have had trouble sleeping at nights!  I have tried several antidepressants and nothing seems to work for me yet.  Please let me know how it has worked for you!!!!
Wellbutrin definetly affects weight loss. For me I was on it than stopped (not advised) and I gained weight in few days.? Since this drug was initially for smokers I believe it has enough affect to brain, similar to thyroid medication. Many years ago you couldnt get wellburtin unless the drs office called it in stating it wasnt for smoking. Since it went generic, insurance begain to cover.
Sadly, it does make you a bit paranoid for some reason. I dont think it really is as effective for depression as other meds but this is the only one that doesnt make me feel nausiated