What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?
I just started Topamax.  I'm on 25mg/day and will increase by 25mg/week until I reach 100mg.  I heard the weightloss effect depends on the dose.  So, what dose did everyone here have their success?  And what type of diet/eating plan and exercise plan did you do to help it along?  I'm desperate to lose 40 lbs (half of which I gained on Zoloft-no longer taking).  PLEASE respond if you had any weightloss on this drug, I'm very curious.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!  :)
Hi! I have been on 100mg of Topamax since the end of April. I immediately experienced the loss of appetite. I seaked the advice of a naturopath to use it to my advantage because I had about 80 pounds to lose. I see him every Friday and since then, I have lost 43 pounds...:-) It has not been difficult. It seems like he weight is coming off on its own now. I don't crave anything. I'm hoping to reach my goal by January. I'm not worried about the holidays because I have been turned off all food and I don't think it will be difficult to continue following what the naturopath has told me to do. By the way...eat a lot of yogourt..it really facilitates weight loss. I eat about 500g of yogourt per day and drink 2-3 glasses of milk per day. Topamax alone won't make you lose the weight, it will just make it easier for you to do it on your own.

I hope this helps you!! Have a great week!!

Heidi
Hi!  Thanks for the response!!  That was so encouraging!!!  I have noticed so far that I'm not craving the usual foods that I eat, mainly Taco Bell!! ;)  Did you start out on 100mg right away?  I have to make my way up to 100mg.  Great idea on the yogurt because it's great for getting rid of bloat caused by yeast overgrowth as many of us women have in our bodies.  Great tip!!!  Great job on your weightloss results!!!  Do you do any kind of exercise too?  If so, what kind?  I'm thinking about pilates and maybe taking up kickboxing as a stress reliever.  I am so excited that my DR has put me on this (for migraines), i PRAY I'll get the loss of appetite side effect!!!!!  I so badly need to lose 40 lbs!!  Thank you so much for responding!  Anyone else with any advice is greatly appreciated!!  Have a great week!
Hi! My doctor also put me on it for migraines. I was getting them 2 to 3 times per week. Now I get them once every 3 to 4 weeks. That is quite an improvement. He started me on 25mg last November and slowly increased it until the end of April when he had me on 100mg. I didn't experience any change in appetite until I hit 100mg. It seemed to happen over night. I should exercise more than I do because my father owns a health club (and I work there too..lol), but my mindset is not there yet. I will get there though. I'm sure if I did, the weight would come off faster. My naturopath checks my body fat percentage every Friday to be sure I am eating enough and not losing any muscle. So, be sure you eat the 75g of fat per day that your body needs. If you do, you won't crave the fatty foods. He also told me to eat lots of fibre. I could tell you all night what he has taught me, but it I'm too tired and you would probably get bored reading it...just be sure you eat 3 meals a day and 3 snacks a day.

Take care...Heidi
You have been on topamax since last november.I was wondering if you have had any trouble with hair loss ? Im on 200 mg a day for migrains.I'v lost 48lbs. now ,but I'm haveing major hair loss.The Dr. has blood work and says everything is normal.
Yes I have had some trouble with hair loss, but my hair is so thick and curly that I'm fine with it. 200mg is a high dose. Does it afect your appetite more is there no difference from 100mg? I never even thought of mentioning the hair loss to my doctor...maybe I should...but he'll probably come up with same results as your dotor did...
I have no difference in the appetite loss with the 200 mg than I did  with the 100 mg.I also have ,well had very,very thick hair in june I donated to the locks of love for the 4th time in 6 years.Its so thick they got 2, 12" ponytails.now since aug 22 i have filled 3/4 of a gallon baggy with my hair .Its fallig out fast .Does your hair loss seem normal or like its more than normal after about 7 or 8 months on topamax? thanx
Hi, Well, this morning I really paid attention in the shower and I think that's when my hair falls out the most. It seems to fall out a lot when I run my fingers through my hair when I rinse it. I also noticed that the hair gets caught in my anklet. It's funny how you don't notice it quite as much until it's pointed out. I knew it was falling out, but didn't pay much attention to how much it was.

If you want to send me an e-mail, that would be fine. It would be easier to talk. ***@****

Have a nice weekend!

Heidi
I had horrible hair loss from taking topomax for only 2 weeks.  The sad part is, it didn't stop falling out when I discontinued it.  My daughter is a cosmetologist and she told me the topo causes the hair follicles to close.  What has fallen out, wont grow back, but the hair loss should stop when you discontinue the drug.  The Topo really messed up my cycle too. I think my  adrenals took a hard hit from just two weeks on the drug.  For me it was not worth it.  I was stupid, depressed and started having panic attacks on it.  I would loose blocks of time. Huge blocks.  I would get in the shower and when I got out look at the clock and realize I had been in there forever............was I just standing there? I would stare at the computer screen for long blocks of time and not realize it. It was scary. For migrain sufferers, if this works, its a wonder drug for those people, but to take it for weight loss alone, I would never do it again.  Just my experiance. Of course, everyone is differant.....
i take topamax for migraines. if you read up on it most people start haveing hair loss after a couple of months . are you sure it was the topamax after only 2 weeks ,thats realy scary !i read in another post of yours that you are still haveing hair loss .is that still going on ?Im wondering what im up against because this med does help with the headaches so much .thank you and good luck. sallie
yes, still hair loss.  I started taking evening primrose oil about 10 days ago. I have some hope this will help.

My sister in law has had a great deal of hair loss w/topo also, but after living with a head ache everyday of her life, its worth it to her.  She cycles with the drug.  Works her way up, then starts decreasing dose again.  Seems to work for her ...
Hi again!

Well, I'm at 50mg/day now and I will be at 75mg on Saturday.  I feel like I'm doped up on Benadryl all day-sooooo tired!!!  Hope this will pass!!  Also getting some pressure behind my right eye.  Almost feels like a bad muscle twitch, yet no twitch, just feels like it wants to lead up to a twitch.  Does that make sense?  I dont know myself b/c this med is making me not make any sense at all in a lot of stuff I say.  Which really sucks because I talk to customers all day long in person and on the phone and they are beginning to look at me strangely.  They probably think I've lost my mind or on drugs! Hope that will pass soon too!  Havent really noticed the hairloss side effect yet, because I lose a lot of hair each day anyway.  I actually have to run my fingers thru my hair in the shower to get the loose ones out-and there is a lot of them-so they dont clog the drain everyday.  Draino is our friend in my house! (sad, huh?) ;)  So, it probably wont be much of a difference to me. All in all, I hope these side effects are worth it!  I hope I see a difference in the migraines and maybe even the loss of appetite (hopefully)!  If not, I'm definitly stopping this.  I dont like feeling like I'm staring into space all day!!!  Have a great weekend!! :)  Tiff
Hi! The dopey clumsy feeling does go away. As long as you are increasing the med, you will feel it. Once you are on a dose that is stable, the feelings should subside after 2 to 3 weeks. I didn't notice a difference in the appetite and the migraines until I was at 100mg. Everyone of course is different...You have a great weekend too!!
I have been on Topamax for 2.5 years now for Seasonal Affective Disorder(SAD). The current dose is 400mg for more than half that time. Many years ago I was on Lithium and gained 200lbs during the 6 year period that I was taking it. But after I went off the drug and went to a natural regimen, found that my body would not allow me to lose any substantial amount of weight without gaining it back. I carried this weight for 15 years. Two years ago, I was seeking help in the summer as I was having difficulties with my SAD cycle. New research had been released at that time linking the weight problems to SAD. So my doctor put me on Topamax, which is also used as a mood stabilizer, to help release the lock on the weight. As far as the weight, the first 50 lbs. seemed easy with moderate lifestyle modifications of diet and exercise. I have lost a total of 140 lbs; but have had to make permanent lifestyle changes to diet and currently workout an hour 5 days a week.  

Now the side affects: the dopiness mentioned was more of a drugged out stupor for me and only occurred at dosage changes.
Tingling in the fingers or toes lessens over time; occasionally have bad days. I do tend to have numbness in the tips of my
fingers most of the time. These things I've gotten use to. What I've finally discovered from reading here, is the cause of the hair loss which was extreme over the last six months. I've slowed it down to a tolerable level using a hair product called Nioxin, that you can get at a beauty supply store. I have lost half the fullness of my hair-I'm not sure about regrowth as of yet; luckily, I have a lot of hair. I've had some other stumbling
blocks associated with this med and my eye doctor told me this year it listed associated possible side affects as Glaucoma. So everyone needs to weigh the risk they are willing to take. For me, after carrying 200 lbs for 15 yrs,  I willing to take the risk. Unfortunately, none of my doctors have given an answer to what happens when I actually lose the weight, as I'm thinking I may have to stay on a maintenance dose.(This is probably based upon my situation w/SAD).
Eye twitching: tried to explain this one to the doctor as I thought it was from a severe fall that I had taken in which I
hit face down on the cement. What I discovered is that it is not actually your eye twitching. It only happens to me when I am overly stressed or very tired. The twitching is actually in the eyelid. I'm not sure if it is a nerve or vessel that twitches making it feel like the eye itself is twitching. I had to stand in front a mirror to figure it out because no one else could see it. I have not followed through with the doctor on this.

Hope this info was of help.

Vicky
First of all I am not a nurse ot doctor but I wanted to comment on the hair loss. I have also been prescribed topamax for pain, mood stabilizer and weight loss so I have been looking a lot on the net. I have seen a few things about hair loss. I wanted to comment on that. I have been a hairstylist for 24 years and one thing that I have noticed without doubt is that when one of my customers loses a significant amount of weight (25 lbs or more) they always have a loss of hair. When your body suddenly changes the amount of calories it takes in it also is getting a change of nutrients. Our body will go in survival mode and the nutrients will go to the essential organs and the other organs will get the nutrients left over (so to speak) being the hair, skin, nails. Which usually results in hair loss, acne or dull skin and brittle nails. that is why you MUST talk to your doctor or pharmacist about a good supplement to help off set the hair loss. I hope this all makes sense to you. Like I said I have been a stylist for 24 years and NRVER fail when someone loses a significant amount of weight they also lose some hair
I have been on 400mg twice a day of topamax for at least a year or year and a half. I have lost 165 pounds (in about 2 years).  It killed my appetite and I barely ate anything until just recently.    However, over the past few months I have noticed my hair falling out excessively throughout the day and coming out in big clumps in the shower.  It is getting increasingly worse. The past few days my scalp or perhaps my hair follicles have started hurting too. I used to have extremely thick, healthy hair. People are always picking hairs of my clothes and my boyfriend told me last night that it is getting visible. My hair is everywhere, on all my clothes, all over the house... but not on my head. Great. I am  getting ready to go off the topamax especially now that I have just learned that this is a side effect.  I didn't know.  Had I had known would I have gone off it?  I don't know...  I had been fat all my life and it was so exciting to watch the pounds drop off so fast and change sizes so quickly.  But now I am seriously going bald at age 35 and I am really freaking out.  It isn't worth it anymore to be thin.  I want my hair back.  I was a happy fat person.  I am a miserable size 12 now.  I am so scared it won't grow back and I am so broke I would never be able to afford a wig.  Can you imagine... wearing a wig at my age?  All because I decided to lose weight?  And my doctor keeps telling me my hair is falling out because of stress.  I am furious with him.  He didn't even suggest that I take vitamins while I was losing the weight.  I also don't enjoy all the loose skin that will never bounce back... Weight loss isn't always worth it, especially when you take a pill to do it.  I found out the hard way.
I have been on Topamax 150mg for 1 1/2 years and recently went off because of hairloss. I did have 25 lbs. weightloss but also noticed in past 6 months that my hair was falling out! If there was just one thing that I do take great care of it is my hair. I am afraid to wash or style it at all! However, I do! It is now about 50% the thickness that it once was prior to Topamax. I have started to take Biotin 1000mcg about 2 months ago but did take a multivitamin the entire time. I had great success expecially at first and then my weight stayed the same which was fine. I am now using Minoxidil at night.
Aside from the hair loss I have definetly found that since discontinuing the drug I have immediately put on 5 lbs but also noticed that I retain water which is not something that I did when on Topamax. I do work out reguarly.
Has anyone elso experienced the weight gain and water retention upon discontinuing Topamax? Also I have been reading more on how others like myself who have lost their hair....any other remedies or suggestions?
I take 100 mg. of Topamax daily for migraines.  Hasn't really helped at all with weight loss, but does help the migraines.  Just wanted to add my two cents on the hair loss issues.  Add a daily biotin supplement.  And take a very high dosage. It's water soluable so it isn't toxic to your system.  I take the highest dosage I can buy which is 5000 mcg, once a day.  Topamax keeps the body from absorbing biotin which is crucial for hair growth.  It might take about eight weeks or so for you to notice regrowth, but it does help.  Keep using the Nioxin products too.  There is one called Follicle Booster which is expensive, but helps a lot.  And drink tons of water.  Topamax is dehydrating and water will help the tingling sensations you get, along with the brain fog that comes with it.  A couple of gallons of water a day will help.  That's a lot, but you'll notice the difference.  Plus you need to replenish your electrolytes with an occasional sports drink.  Again, speaking from experience here.  Good luck!
I was very glad to find your comments here. I have been taking Topamax for about eight months as an appetite suppressant.I was also taking Naproxen for joint pain which I discontinued in August. Hair loss can also be a side effect of this drug! My dermatologist confirmed my fears two days ago that my hair is "shedding". I am very depressed. I was not sure what was causing it. I have been very careful to get enough protein and vitamins in my diet. And actually the way I have lost the 50 lbs. (and you won't believe it) was just by weight bearing exercise at the gym three days a week. I didn't change my eating at all, because I've been eating very little for years. The Topamax just made it easier for me to get throught the day. But I don't really care. I just don't want to lose my hair. I'm contacting my doctor tomorrow to go off the drug and I'm going to add the biotin and some Omega-3 Thanks for the tips. I just hope I've caught it in time. I was so happy about the weight loss which I will continue, but I'm not sure how I'll deal with the hair loss. Sorry this is so long. I'm in a panic.
I started topamax 2 years ago for severe migraines.  Last July (2005) I started to notice my hair falling out, on my clothes, my chair at work, in the tub, my combs, etc.  In October, it became so thin I decided to cut 7" off my hair.  I would say I had lost 50% volume.  My doctors all said don't know what the problem is, everything is normal, all tests are ok, including dermatologist.  He mentioned Telogen Effluvium and that I wouldn't go bald.  Well, that was reassuring.  I have only lost 10 lbs on topamax, I needed it more for the migraines than the weightloss.  I bounce back and forth on it because I want my hair more than a temporary cure for migraines.  I still lose hair, but not to the volume that I had, but I don't have that volume to lose.  I remember looking for posts on hair loss for topamax patients last year and no one reported it.  I was wondering if I was the only one.  Thanks for your posts.
THANK YOU !!! For all the post about hair loss due to topamax .I have been looking for input for months! The doctors still say all test are normal. I have been taking biotin for about 4 weeks and zinc. I have been so scaredto lose all my hair at 32 to stop migraines. Thank You everyone and GOOD LUCK!i still take my 200 mg a day .I just wonder if when you go off ,if the hair loss stops.    

Sallie
Oh, I went from 7-8 migraines a month to NONE now!!!!!
My daughter and I take Topomax for migraines.  My daughter takes it for complicated migraines that lead to seizures and topomax is an anti seizure drug.  Her neurologist never mentioned hair loss.  I even called to verify.  She said that hair loss isn't mentioned.  but that everyone's system is different.  If extreme weight is involved then that is the culprit not the drug.  The drug only helps kill the appetite.  YOu still need some will.  The weight loss you are taking about is fantastic.  I have been on the drug for 2 years and I 47 and about to enter menopause and I haven't noticed a large amount of hair loss and believe I would notice since as I have aged my hair has thinned and it wasn't thick to begin with.  I lost 16 lbs.  and haven't continued as I didn't need to lose anymore.  My daughter lost 12 and had to gain 6 back as she is small only 106.  So I believe the hair loss is extreme weight loss and not the drug so much.
I went from 2 - 3 migrains a week to none.  I take 200 mg of topamax a day .I did not start my hair loss untill about 8 or 9 months on it .In over 1 years time I'v lost 53 lbs. Alote of walking and playing softball with my 15 year old daughter this summer.The weight loss is not the cause of my hair loss my doctors have checked my blood levels.I'm not vitamine dificient and my hormone levels came back fine .I'v had a hysterectomy. Like other people on it I'v read about my hair folices hurt.My doctor says my scalp is very dry .I see another doctor in January. I dont have any regrowth.It bothers me alot that my hair is falling out but for now I'm staying on the med because I'm not on it for the weight loss I'm on it to controll my migraines.It does that very well.There are other sites that you can tell about your side effects, good and bad that you can look into.Some people dont say anything about weight loss but hair loss. Good luck !and Thank you!
I am taking 75mg. of topamax and also taking Zoloft and Verapamil for migraines.  I am not loosing any weight.  I am so frustrated because I feel that I'm the only one that's not losing.  Does anyone think it's because of the other drugs I'm taking?  Next week I go to 100mg.  Please help
how long have you been on topomax it takes several months for it to get into your system...and you have to take as you doc. prescribes...
I've lost over 30 pounds slowly with prob. three to four months but know its been nearly 8 months and it's stayed off, i do eat healthy  but love to you eat mexican food out once a week!!!  Anyways if it works with you medical issues i would try to stay with this, it's good!!!!!  Amanda  God Bless.
In response to the comment about about hair loss while on Topamax being attributed to dramatic weight loss and not just to the actual drug--I just wanted to put in my experience so far.  First of all, from what I have read, and this is true for any medication, not everyone experiences every side effect.  From what I have read, with Topamax some people are lucky enough to never have any hair loss and some have to deal with a lot of it.  I have been on Topamax for 2 months now (100 mg/day) and it has worked wonders on my headaches.  I lost about 4 lbs in the first couple weeks, but since then my weight has stayed stable--and that's okay because as long as my headaches are gone I'm happy!  However, starting about two weeks ago I started noticing significant hair loss in the shower, when brushing, or blow-drying my hair.  I'm only 26 and I have long hair that used to be thick.  In the past two weeks it has become incredibly thin, dry, and brittle.  I am afraid to even brush it with my fingers because it comes out so much.  Since I have had no significant weight loss, there's no way it could be from that.  I've started taking selenium, zinc, biotin, and a multivitamin and I hope that they can counteract whatever this drug is leaching from my body (I've also got an appt. with a dermatologist).  Topamax has brought me such relief from paralyzing headaches, but I'm not sure staying on it is worth going bald!
I had a bad experience with Topamax. I took it for seizures. I had the tingling feeling in hands, feet, knees, arms, abdomen, and face. It got to the point where it was actually painful and it gradually got worse, but the tingling was not bad compared to the muscle spasms or twitches. Just under my eye, I had a muscle twitch for 2 months. During that time, I also had muscle twitches on my face, all over my cheeks, jaws and around my mouth. It would even paralyze my mouth for hours. I was on Topamax for 5 months. The muscle spasms and twitches gradually became worse and more often. The were in my abdomen and legs. All of the twitches that I had were visible.

Towards the end of my time on Topamax, whenever I would lay down my eyes would twitch and the back of my head would tingle. I went to my neurologist 3 times about these problems. He told me he had never heard of this and he did not think it was the Topamax. He did try 2 different muscle relaxers and they did not work. I did research and the symptoms I had were identical to Secondary Drug-Induced Dystonia. In the prescribing info for Topamax,  Dystonia was listed as a rare side effect. I finally convinced my neurologist that my problems were coming from the Topamax and he tapered me off and changed my medicine. As I took less Topamax my symptoms decreased and about 1 1/2 weeks after being completely off of it all symtoms were gone.

This was not a pleasant experience and I have recently found several websites like this where other people on Topamax have had muscle twitches especially in the face.
I felt better that I had not been alone.
hi i take tordal an imetrax for my migraines no hair loss been on it for years
I have recently started on Topamax for Migraines.I also take Celebrex for arthritis.  It seems like all my joints are swelling up and I can hardly move. Has anyone experienced anythinglike this?
Hello, all of you.  I am a former migraine sufferer.  I had been put on Topamax and thought the side-effects to be unbearable at the time.  Hair-loss was not a concern for me, though.  Yes, I am a woman.  With hair.  Anyway, I fasted for 11 days, a naturopathic way to detoxify the body, and I don't experience a migraine but one every couple of months.  Now I am on it for another reason: mood stabilizing.  I will admit I want to lose weight.  But I want to say this:  would any of you rather give back all that Topamax has given you (weight-loss, pain-releif from migraines, mood stability, etc.) just to have hair?  I would rather be bald and not feel as though I am on an emotional rollercoaster every single day.  I know that hair is a woman's crown and glory.  But migraines are so horrible.  I know.  I used to get them 3 days of every week.  And the reason I am now on it is because I go from calm, to screaming, to singing to the radio, to crying.  It's insane.  But I am not.  I feel like I am though.  And you probably think I am.  You have that right.  But consider what I have said.  Your hair is just hair.  Your face is your beauty.  And your smile, which shows the beauty that lies inside you.  Life with migraines, mood disorders, and feelings of inadequacy is not really life.  Is it?  I will continue to take this for as long as it continues to make me feel human.  I hope I have given you all a little bit of perspective.  I am not calling anyone shallow or anything like that.  Just saying something you may not have considered, yet.  I wish you all well.
I would most like to hear comment about brain fog.  I have been on Topamax  for over 1 1/2  years, 50 MG.  It reduced 6 or more migraines a month to maybe one. I have noticed some hair thinning, hadn't lost weight (don't particularly need to) and was happy.  But, I leave hair every where.  I went off Topamax for a while, and had decided it was not worth having migraines! (My insurance will only pay 50% of the price of Imitrex or Maxalt, or any drug, and worse yet, limits me on how many a month, so I need a way to PREVENT migraines.)
The real reason I need to drop Topamax is due to the Brain Fog.  I work for a major corporation, and have made a few public blunders like forgetting stuff, in the last year.  I have been so fuzzy in the brain that I'm not getting all my work done, and then even at home am just sitting there.  I used to come home and zoom around doing my hobbies after work... I was such an energetic person that people called me jokingly, manic, because I'd be up till 1 AM on my hobby, and then at work the next morning at 8.  Now, I just come home and sit and watch TV. My craft room sits there in a messy clutter, and it's like I can't even think straight enough to figure how to organize it.  
No joke.  I am only 46, no issues with other health problems, excellent check-up otherwise.  The hair loss, I might attribute to my age (although I am not otherwise having mid-life issues). But the brain fog... well, that one is not tolerable.  
Ok, nobody else but me notices this.  Mostly, my family is so happy to not have to deal with "me on a headache" that they don't mind. I'm having to make post-it notes at work so I remember things.  I'm going to try that for a while, and take some vitamins.  I do remember laying in bed for three days with a migraine while in college, before they had good drugs like Maxalt and Imitrex. And I remember drugs like Percocet/Darvon that made me vomit, and other narcotics that made me sleep for days.
Love and blessings, Marie
I am on Topomax for papalledema.  Basically, my brain hangs to low, blocks the flow of my spinal fluid and the pressure builds up in my brian behind my eyes.....annnnnnny whooo.
I have been on it for a bit, slowly have gone up to 300 mg, slowly been having the wonderful weightloss side effect, but all my other side effects are oppisite of what is stated as what are probable side effects.  Ok, no,  I have not had any hairloss.  As a matter of fact, if anything, it has been making my hair grow faster, and of that I am thankful, for I have had some mighty funky hair cuts this year. lol.
My dr kept telling that while I am on the topomax it would be a good thing to take advantage of it for the wieghtloss, and has uped it a few times.  I found this sight trying to see exactly how far it could be uped to.  He never gave me any idea exactly to what.  But at least he is one of the nicer drs, not being rude saying I need to lose wieght out right.  Those ones get on my nerves, if they never ask your history, dont know what meds you have been on, that you have been on steriods injected in your back for other probs that make it a tad bit difficult even when your not eating to get the wight off, umm hmm.
IF I CONTINUE TO STAY ON THE TOPOMAX, WILL I EVENTUALLY LOOSE ALL MY HAIR  PLEASE RESPOND
I DOUBT THAT YOU WOULD LOSE ALL YOUR HAIR.  YOU DO GROW HAIR BACK.  HAS IT ALREADY HAD THAT SIDE EFFECT ON YOU?  JUST BECAUSE IT HITS SOMEONE ELSE LIKE THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL DO THAT TO YOU.

I AM AN EPILEPTIC THAT USED TO TAKE A MASSIVE DOSE OF LAMICTAL AND TOPAMAX, 1000 MG/DAY OF EACH ONE.  I HAD BRAIN SURGERY, SEIZURES STOPPED, GOT WEANED OFF THE TOPAMAX AND CUT THE LAMICTAL WAY DOWN.  EVEN ON THAT HIGH DOSE OF THE TOPAMAX, I DIDN'T LOSE MY HAIR.  OF COURSE I DIDN'T LOSE WEIGHT EITHER BECAUSE I HAD TO EAT SO MUCH TO KEEP FROM GETTING SOME OF THE OTHER SIDE EFFECTS, BUT IT CUT MY SEIZURES WAY DOWN WHILE NONE OF THE OTHER MEDS I TRIED HAD.  YOU JUST HAVE TO CHOOSE WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.  I JUST STARTED BACK ON A LOW DOSE OF TOPAMAX MIXED WITH MY LAMICTAL AGAIN BECAUSE OF SIGNS OF AURAS (PART OF EPILEPSY) SHOWING UP, RELATED TO ME GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE AND I CAN'T TAKE HORMONES.  IN JUST OVER 3 DAYS A VERY MINOR DOSE, 25 MG/2 DAY, STOPPED THAT.  IS THAT WORTH THE CHANCE OF SIDE EFFECTS FOR ME.  YES, IT IS.  THIS MED DOESN'T HIT ME AS HARD AS SOME OF THE OTHER ONES I TRIED, NOR DOES IT AFFECT ME LIKE IT DOES SOME OF THESE OTHER LADIES EITHER.  GOOD LUCK!
Just wondering how fast is the weight lose , I have been on depakote for 8 moths and gained 40 pds . I hate it . My sister did the same thing , thanks
My doc. just put me on 25mg of topamax for headaches due to a car accident that i was in back in Aug. My Son was on topamax after he had a seizure and was in a coma for 7days. We took him off the topamax because he was so loopy. I havnt started taking it yet iam soooo..... scared. I hate that loopy feeling! As for the tingling i already suffer for tingling in my fingers due to the accident as well. I wonder if this will make it worse? At what dosage did you guys start feeling these side effects? Like i said iam only starting out at 25mg but iam sure my nurologist is going to up my dosage. The only side effect that sounds positive is the weight lose. Can anyone help me with my concerns?
So, are y'all doing these seizure meds to actually lose weight???  I saw this under weightloss and HAD to ask this question!  I just remember how happy we were to get our little boy off of seizure meds after years of horrible seizures and all the bad side effects he's just now overcoming from the meds (including liver and kidney problems)... I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to take them, weightloss or not.  I mean, after all, they're for nerve blocking in the brain and can really change things (sometimes for the worse).  Really, honestly.... just curious.
Has anyone found a supplement that helps the hair loss after going off of it? I know that everyone's suggested Biotin to Evening Primrose, but has any of it worked and how long after stopping the drug did it take to regrow your hair? I look at my temples and it seems as though the follicles of my hair are spaced farther apart. I can see through to my scalp which is alarming!  I've only been off of Topomax for a couple of weeks, and the major shedding has stopped. But my hair breaks off or rather snaps when I brush it. I'm guilty of flat ironing, but I'm stopping that and only doing it on the weekends (you know,... when it counts). But I'm getting super anxious about its regrowth. I've been on and off of Topomax since 2005. I hope that it doesn't take as long as that to get out of my system! I'm starting to eat boiled eggs (which has biotin) and more meats. But the time it is taking (yeah i know... only two weeks) is making me crazy.
I agree with revins.  I can't believe how many people are considering Topamax for the weight loss!  This is a serious drug with serious side effects.  
My doc prescribed it to me for migraines.  I used to get about 4 or 5 a month.  I have been on Topamax for 6 weeks, 25 mg 2x a day, and I have not had a migraine in a month.  This drug is wonderful.  It is not without its side effects.  I have lost my appetite, but I also feel groggy sometimes, and I have noticed the brain fog, like not being able to remember the name of a very familiar place or what I ate for dinner the night before.  I have not noticed any hair loss yet.  
I started watching my weight and eating better about 2 months before I started on Topamax, so I can't say that it has caused any significant weight loss.  However, what brought me to this post was that I am recovering from surgery and I am eating more to regain my strength.  Despite this, I am still losing (or at least not gaining any) weight.  So I figured I'd check out to see if it could be a possible side effect of Topamax. I was surprised to see that it could be.  Anyway, I agree with the others that if this works for your migraines or seizures and the only side effects are hair loss and/or (happily) weight loss, then it's a good trade.  I don't think there's any medicine out there that is without any side effects.  Good luck.
Does anyone take Wellbutrin XL with this? How is that working out?  I am concerned as take that also.
I have been on top Amax since Feb., I have very slowly worked up to 100mg.  The side effects have been tolerable but I went from 25 to 50 very quick and the side effect were bad: Brain fog, no appetite, tingling, insomnia.  I went from 50 to 75mg,  5 weeks later and 75 to 100mg 4 weeks later, working up slowly does help with the side effects.  Over time I have found most of my side effects subside:  I take it for nerve pain and complex migraines.  I did experience weight loss but not loss so far,  but I do take daily vitamin and extra supplements  plus making sure I drink Ensure and a V-8 everyday to  keep myself health.  I didn’t need to lose any weight.  I also cut all alcohol out with the exception of the occasional glass of wine with we are out to dinner with friends….  (Mostly so I don’t look like a party pooper) and anything carbonated taste awful.  I still had 13 migraines last month,  so the neurologist is still trying to get me on the correct dose.   But I also have two lesions on my brain from my migraines so what’s one more…..LOL
in 2002 i was put on topamax after a car accident.Basically my dr. had put me on some meds that made me gain weight,I was upset because I was fat,so I told him to put me on something to make me lose weight.That was when he first put me on topamax.I was only on it for 1 month,because at the time it was not aproved for headaches,and I had insurance,and they declined to pay for it after the first month,anyway,i did expierence some weightloss with no side effects in that time.Since then I have gained weight on my own,and do not have insurance,but I have purchased topamax(generic form) online but do not remember the correct way to take it for the weightloss,i do remember that they were supposed to be started gradually,and yes i am willing to take the risks to lose the weight as i do know that topamax works.Can someone please tell me the proper way to take topamax for weight loss?? Thanks so much.
I work in a Psychiatist office, and our Dr. prescribes it all the times for our patients for weight loss. I am also on it. I boyfriend was in Iraq (now fiance) and I wanted to lose weight before he came home. Well, that did the trick. I am on 200 mg @ night. It helps me sleep at night and I wake up feeling good. That is how he told me to take mine. My mom is also on it and she takes hers at night. She has lost alot of weight too. So, try taking at night. Hope that has helped you out.......
lovinglea3
Hi my name is Brooke I've been on Topamax for about 2 weeks now just started the 50 mg and now I've been in the loopy stage and the tired stage as well.  Just waiting for the losing weight stage!!!  How long did it take to lose at least 10 lbs once you hit 100 mgs?  Did it take that first week?  I walk a lot so I am hoping it doesn't take that long.  I would like to lose a good 50 lbs.
by:mtexas
please help. I just started taking Topamax due to migraines. I"vebeen taking 25 mg 2 times a day for about a month now and I'm beginning to feel the tingling, but that's all. I have no other side effects. My migraines are gone! I feel like I can live again. My children see me smile and I can work and do things without pain. I'm just worried about my hair. Do you think that 50 mg a day will eventually shed my hair? I don't plan to take more than this dosage. I'm so scared to stop taking it, but I don't want to loose my hair. Tell me what you think.
So far I started my 100mg a day stage 2nd day not so tired anymore haven't noticed any hair loss as of yet though.
I have suffered from migraines since I was 7 (I am now 38).  I have tried most of the prophylactic drugs out there and I get Botox every 3 months in my scalp and neck (works well but expensive).  I tried topamax for 2 weeks and had headaches every day.  I was also on wellbutrin, lyrica and lamictal for migraines.  I am off all of the meds now so I decided to try topamax again. (The Botox works well but I still have a few migraines) I would be willing to actually shave my head if the topamax works.  Migraines have affected my life so negatively that hair is a small price to pay to be “normal”. I plan on giving it more of a chance this time.  For anyone that has insurance to pay for Botox, I highly recommend it.  Migraines from 5-6 a week to 1-2 a week and those were half as severe as regular.  I hope the topamax can take care of the 1-2 I still have.
Hey!

I started on topamax approx. 1 month ago for nocturnal seizures on a dose of 25mg daily and have gradually gone up to 100mg daily.  I have been on the 100mg for about 2 weeks now.  I have had both the seizures & migraines for about 4 years now (I am 30); the topamax has been wonderful for the seizures, but am still getting migraines pretty much daily.  Just wondering how long it was before everyone noticed the difference for migraines on the higher dosage?

As to the hair loss, I have not noticed this.  Previously, I was losing hair in massive quantities & my family doctor recently did some blood tests & noticed that my iron levels were really low.  I have since started taking an iron supplement, as well as a calcium & vitamin D supplement (as topamax can cause osteoporosis) & have noticed that my hair loss has decreased.  My weight has also started to decrease, but I do not find that it is due to appetite suppression, but everyone is different!

Thanks & good luck!

:) Helen
It took about a month and a half after being on 100mg of Topamax for me to see a decrees in my migraines. I used to get them about 3 or 4 times a week. I still get them, but they are less often, less intense and do not last as long!

Just stay with it... and they will go away! For me, Topamax is the only thing that has helped my migraines, and i would definitely say that all of the benefits out weigh the side effects.

Good luck and I hope the migraines go away!!

Abby
I have been on Topamax for about 5 months.  I was previously on Lyrica, which caused about a 5 pound weight gain.  I stopped that because it made me feel confused and started Topamax. I went from 135lbs to 115lb in the past few months.  The weight is falling off faster than I can control.  I plan to tell the doctor, but the loss is so dramatic at 5'8" that I look anorexic all of a sudden!  Any suggestions?  Topamax is controlling the weekly migraines well and I would hate to stop taking it, but I don't want to disappear!!
Thanks!  
Yisa
I am taking 75mg of Topamax daily and have been for about 3 months due to severe migraines. The drug along with weekly visits to a chiropractor for neck adjustments seem to keep the headaches at bay. I have experienced no hair loss.I have lost weight however I am on a high protein / low carb diet and I exercise daily so I wouldn't say topamax is the reason in my case, willpower is. My only complaint is I feel stoned all the time, brain fog. It has never gone away. I have a lack for words in conversation and am living in a spaced out fog.
that i dont agree with  , that med is whats causing ure weight loss, there are so many people on that 75mgs and losing weight without even trying , why would you be the only one that the med not causing weight loss , well at least how can you say its not ?
I personally have been on it since may and am now on 200mg and have lost 5lbs. it doesn't help me lose weight and believe me I'd look great 50lbs lighter. My biggest side effect is that I'm groggy all the time. ALL THE TIME. Ugh. But my headaches have improved.
I just started 200mg, my eye is constantly twitching now, my hair has thinned, weight has never been an issue for me in my life, but I do struggle holding a healthy weight now and do have stomach pain now.  Without Topmax, I would have 2-3 migraines a week, with it, I can go a month to month and a half with out one, then when they start they are slowed down and less intense.  I find I lose words, and am much more forgetful now.  It is frustrating in my job, and home life, but what am I to do?  Living with migraines is much worse and I cannot imagine going back to that.  The fact that everyone is so worried about losing a few pounds when they should be worried about gaining some quality of life back is astounding.  Not every medication works the same on everyone.  I am just happy that I can exercise, work, and participate in life in general.
I take 600mg of topamax for seizures a day and I have never expierenced hair loss but have lost 20lbs. I have been on topo for a year and a half but i do get extremely tired for a 19 year old.  Also during the begining of taking topo i had speech problems like could not find the right word or the word was on the tip of my tongue and just did not know it. Know these words were common words that was the hard part. People thinking that you do not have any vocabulary at all.
just started 25mg of topamax for bipolar but would'nt mind shedding a few extra pounds. how long before you see weight lost?
For my "topo-friends" with hair loss:
  Andrew Lessman has a vitamin called Healthy Hair skin and nails.  It's amazing.  It has plenty of biotin and quite a few other vitamins that are necessary for hair growth.

For my "dope-amax" friends:
  I saw this on another site and thought I'd try it.  Buy that old Simon game and play it daily.  It really works.  Because you have to remember which order to hit the lights/sounds it helps stimulate the neuro pathways and helps keep the "dope" at bay.  Ginko bilboa helped me with the fogginess.

Good luck and I hope these remedies help you as well as they did me!
Hi everyone, I'm 18 years old and i've had mirgrains for the longest times. I was just put on Topamax about a week ago, I can already tell my loss in appetite, which I don't mind at all, i'm about 10 pounds over weight, but with-in a week i'v already lost 7 lbs. I was reading about others taking Topamax and having hair loss issues, I have not experienced any hair-loss yet, but if i do should I let my doctor know? Also I read that Topamax makes your forget things, had anyone else had this side effect? Should I tell my doctor? becaus I also have ADD and don't take anything for it.
thanks..
Not for me.  I have had gastric bypass and everything.  It does not help me want to eat less.  It does help with my nerve pain.  I have spinal stenosis but when it comes to appetite I am affraid it is a lost cause.  Any suggestions on how I can make it more effective for weight loss?
I've been on Topamax/Wellbutrin combo for over a year.  At 125mg per day I was doing pretty well - had gotten past loopy, confused, feeling, but still have horrible dry mouth, some tingling and numbness, but definitely liked weight loss. But I did have occasional migraines and was having issues with my dr.   My new neurologist just increased my dosage to 150mg (75mg twice a day) saying that I should not be taking all at once - so half in the morning and half at night.  Since I started that I feel like I'm getting migraines daily, putting on weight and had a horrific period (the worst in years!).  Has anyone heard of this and if I go back to what I was doing will I go back to my only periodic migraines and back to my weight loss?  Can weight loss/gain really be affected by dosage increase or decrease??
I have been on Topamax for 2 years now. I started at 50mg and am now up to 200mg. I have continued to up the dosage because it seems to lose its effectiveness every 6 months or so. Coincidentally, the weight loss maintenance magic also fades and I feel myself gaining a pound or two back. I haven't read that anyone else has experience this fading effect. I take it for anxiety and happened to notice the amazing the weight loss effect. I lost about 8 pounds, but I sort of eat more at times so I don't lose too much and people don't get on my case. I have very thick hair and have not noticed any falling out, but have noticed a change in texture for sure. Maybe not due to the Rx, but with all the hair talk, I'm starting to think it is.
Hi..I have been reading evryone's comments and I am freaked out now. I was just prescribed Topamax for chronic back pain. I was also diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. So the doctor wanted me to take either lyrica or cymbalta..I declined because of the weight gain I have read about. I have recently had 3 rounds of steroid injections in my back that did not help. So my doctor said that Topamax could help with the pain and will not make me gain weight. I am not trying to loose weight but would not cry if I did. I would however want to curl up and die if my hair fell out. I have had it fall out before from stress and from just getting older I am 43.
So I am wondering if I stay on a lower dose will it still make my hair fall out? I am really scared now to start taking this. It's kind of like deal with the extreme pain or go bald..I have to say ummm I'm thinking pain. I would be soooo depressed if any more of my hair fell out. Can somebody please let me know what you think...please
I'd like to tell you all about my experience with Topo.  I started with 25 mg. for two weeks, then 50 then 100 and had some tingling and a bit of brain fog, but it wasn't bad, really.  My migraines went from several a week down to just a couple a month.  I lost 15 pounds, which I didn't need to lose, so I had to eat more to keep my weight up.  I did have some hair loss, but it wasn't worth worrying about.

I went off Topo after being on it two solid years because I wanted to see if the headaches were gone for good. I just quit cold turkey and had no problems.  When the headaches returned (bummer), I went straight back to my 100 mg. and had no side effects other than soda tasting funny for a week.  The weight I lost had come back when I went off the drug, so now it's falling off again.  This is an odd drug, but it works for my headaches, so I'll stick with it.
I am an RN, second year doctoral student studying addiction (takes one to know one). I am on the medication for mood stabilization.

I just wanted to say about hair loss, weight loss, and, dopiness...for the record I am on 300mgs a day

I do not experience the first two (i.e. no loss of hair and no loss of appetite) and inexplicably, I think the "dopamax" has helped me with my FOCUS and with my studying (I used to take Adderall but that road was a little tricky for this recovery  addict).
Syck
I'm also an RN, and have been on Topamax for 10 months, 100 mg 2x/day.  I've lost total of 54 lb. unintentionally (20 was max I needed to lose).  I'm now underwt., down to 100 lb., with BMI of 18;  been through 5 sizes of clothes in 7 months, have no summer clothes that fit.  I did have the SEs of bad taste, numbness/tingling of fingers, difficulty finding words.  It took 4 requests to get my dr. to taper me off, which I'm in the process of doing now.  Hope to gain back about 20 lb.  I wasn't on it for weight control, but it sure did the job!
Saturday June 5, 2010

I have been obese sense I was 5 and have tried everything.  I go to the gym every day.  I eat whole grains, leafy greens and beans.  I eat soy cheese and only  grass feed beef or wild caught salmon and very little of that.   But I cannot fight the cravings or the volumes of food that my mind requires.  I was down to 270 then gained 40 pounds when I quit smoking.  I lost 17 pounds of that but I was stuck there.
I am 53 and was considering bypass surgery when  miracle of miracles I got a job at a shrink’s office and he put me on Topamax.  All the years of asking doctors for help and surgery was all they offered me.  I will not ruminate about that….
However, my experience is this, one week on 25 mg, no effect, after a few days on 50mg lose of appetite and weight lose began.  I was very stupid for a few days and the office manager suggested I quit the drug and I just laughed at her.  Luckily the stupid part went away after 2-3 weeks.  Six weeks later and I have lost 20 pounds and have just now reduced my dose back to 25 mg because I found myself eating less and less.  I do not know how long this will last.
I have to remember that most of us have lost weight in the past, but we gained it back.  I have to do things differently this time.  No sugar, no bread NO WHEAT, white rice or pasta.  Whole grains, more vegetable.  Measure portions.   Measure proportions. Measure portions.  I think that will be my new mantra.  Oh, and yoga, that’s how I quit smoking btw.  
Kisskiss
Was prescribed Topamax for migraines, or, occipital neuralgia.  Anyone else take Topamax for this condition?  I haven't taken any of the 25 mg pills out of the bottle yet, because of all the side effects I've read up about.... mainly I am worried that if this medication really does help me, I have to give up my occasional over indulgences of wine with my friends... forever.  Right?  I mean, it says right on the bottle do not mix with alcohol.  Also, it says that birth control pills become less effective while on this medication.  Anyone else have this experience?  Well, I hadn't heard of the hair loss until I came across these posts, and that pretty much seals the deal for me!!  My hair is already very thin and straight.  Although, my figure is not (thin and straight) lol which would be a nice side affect that I would not complain about if I lost some weight!

Signed,
Still Deciding...
Ok, so I've been on Topamax - 250mg/day for quite a long time now. I can't tell you what symptoms other people experience, but I can tell you what I experienced (and over time, got used to). It's funny how your body will adjust to things over time...

-Paresthesia ("pins and needles", burning sensations and/or numbing of hands and feet mostly but sometimes in your chest and stomach).

-Vertigo (The feeling that the you or your surrounding is spinning)
*for me, it would would be that the room I was in, or the place I was at would just start spinning really fast, and I would be standing still. I could close my eyes, but it would only make my stomach rise up into my throat (like a roller coaster ride). It made me feel nauseous and at times I would throw up.

-Fatigue

-Loss of Appetite

-Weight loss

-Anxiety

As far as the hair loss, I've heard of it happening to a few people along with other side effects. I did not have it happen to me and I don't believe it's one of the more common side effects (but that's not to say it wouldn't happen to you). Everyone is different and reacts to drugs differently. You won't know until you give it a try.

Best of luck to you.

To those who feel it is stupid to take this drug for weight loss - the FDA is likely to approve a drug called Qnexa (a mixture of this drug and Phentermine) as a weight loss drug later this year (final checkpoints still to be approved).  So....not so silly afterall.  
You really need to pay more attention to the meds you are taking! Topamax will not treat migraine headaches. You cannot take topamax to help treat the pain of any type of headache. It is not a pain reliever. It is approved to PREVENT migraines...it is a prophylactic medication. Furthermore, obesity is not an eating disorder. The vast majority of the people in this country who are obese are not that way because of food addiction, which some consider an eating disorder. Most are obese because they make poor food choices and don't get the recommended amount of exercise. Read the research before you start spouting off. And seeing as how J & J (the makers of Topamax in case you not only don't know what the med is for, but who manufactures it) are currently engaged in a lawsuit dealing directly with off-label promoting, specifically promoting it for weight loss in children when it clearly has caused IRREVERSIBLE cognitive damage, it is almost guaranteed that the FDA will be rejecting the application for approval for Qnexa, at least until J & J settles. You people can say what you want but you need to do your research before you open your mouths. Otherwise you come off sounding like a complete fool. Idiots...a little fact finding goes a long way.
I take Topamax for severe migraines.  Been on it for almost two months and take 75 mg per day each night.  I cannot imagine taking this drug simply because you want to lose weight!!!  There ARE weight loss drugs on the market for that.  There is exercise and diet for that.  I think it irresponsible of physicians to prescribe such a strong neuroligical drug for weight loss - but I digress.
My side effects have been some hair loss, tingling in face, hands and feet (and not twitch in finger and toe) and weight loss.  I was not overweight to begin with so I am watching how much I drop - so far 10 pounds.
This drug has been phenominal in controlling my migraines and has given me my life back so I am pleased despite the side effects.  I still get tension type headaches but nothing like I used to get.
Ok, and what's the best way to treat a patient experiencing migraines? To give them a drug that prevents it. Duh, that's why Topamax is used for people who suffer migraines! By preventing the migraine, you're treating the problem. So, you can go ahead and get all technical and make yourself feel somehow Med Health Forum Superior. Whatever gets you through the day. Give yourself a pat on the back. Feel better now? Kudos for Frmgrl and her need to sound like a doctor {clap!}

I'm not in here to pick fights with people and be all rude like you. Keep your attitude to yourself.
That last comment was to you... not frmgrl.  But, I'm sure you already knew that :)
I didn't realize that using correct terminology somehow equated to trying to sound like a doctor...my bad. I don't need to pat myself on the back. I am perfectly fine knowing that I take the correct medication for my diagnosed conditions and that I am not foolish enough to take a potentially harmful drug for the sake of vanity dieting. I believe that those people out there who are considering taking topamax for weight loss need to understand efficacy of this drug for that purpose. The way to come to that understanding is to (SUPRISE!) read the drug trial results. They clearly state that an average of 17% of people lose weight on topamax and that the weight loss experienced on this drug rarely exceeds 10% of the persons starting weight and plateaus at 15-18 months. So, yes, in my opinion, it is stupid to take a medication that acts so strongly on the temporal lobe of the brain without just cause to take it.
...and you have the right to your own opinion. That's what makes the world turns. However, it's the WAY you come across. Are you always so harsh? I mean, it's ok to be literal, to know your facts and express your opinion. But when you are condescending to others for no reason and say cruel and hurtful things (and I don't mean to me, because you didn't hurt MY feelings in the least.) You rubbed me the wrong way when you said "Put down the twinkie, get your fat *** off the couch, and join a gym. Stop hoping on a magic pill to do the work for you lazy ***** "  towards some poor, innocent girl suffering from obesity. I pity people like you. People who lack a heart. You must live a cold, lonely life to have nothing better to do than to just pick fights and put others down for a pure ego trip or whatever it is that your reasoning is.

I suffer from vestibular migraines and take topamax 100mg at bedtime.  The topamax help the headaches, associated with this disorder. I have to say I have not seen anyone else with disorder this posting here.  Seems to not be very common.  Oh well, seem to be the story of my life.  But the vesibular portion is the worse part that occurs sometimes 2-3 times a day.  The most annoying side effect of topamax, I have found is the foggy feeling.  I feel like I can't get my thought together.  Drives me mad.  Sometimes hard to function at work.  Considering tapering off or quitting.  weighing my options.  I have lost about 12 lbs and have to say it is really a weird thing, because I haven't been eating any diffferntly.  DragonFlyRae thanks so much for your great posts.  You simply offer support with no judgement which is what most people need.  
Aah, yes... Vestibular Migraines. The "dizzy" 'graines. A less common variant of migraines. Ya just don't hear of them as often. I'm glad that the Topamax seems to be helping a bit for you. Thanks for the nice reply :) Take care of yourself, Hun!
Another side effect is darkening of the upper lip... This is called MELASMA... Google it and do your own research... It will tell you that taking anti-seizure meds such as Topamax will give you this side effect... I found this out the hard way... Didn't have a clue what was going on with my upper lip looking very dark (almost like a 5 'oclock shadow, but no lip hair)... Sun exposure while taking this med is not good... However, I do have the BEST tan right now that I've ever had, just embarrased about my rust looking upper lip... ha!!!!
hey im on topomax 200mg with keppra and have just started noticing that i no longer have an appetite but try and make sure that i eat 3 times a day. i've been on topomax since last year august and never experienced this problem until they increased my dosage 3 weeks. My friends and family are very concerned about my eating habbits at the moment but anything is possible!!!!
Topiramate is used for:
    * Treating certain kinds of seizures in patients 2 years of age or older. It is also prescribed to prevent migraine headache in adults.
    * Topiramate is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. It works by controlling nerve impulses in the brain.
Do NOT use Topiramate if:
          o you are allergic to any ingredient in Topiramate
          o you are taking other carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide)
    * Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Topiramate :
          o Some medical conditions may interact with Topiramate . Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
                + if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
                + if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
                + if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
                + if you have liver or kidney problems, kidney stones, or regularly consume alcohol
                + if you have diarrhea, a respiratory tract disease, or you are scheduled for surgery
                + if you have status epilepticus (continuous seizure activity or a series of seizures without a full return to consciousness)
                + if you are on a diet that increases the amount of ketones in your blood and results in fruity-smelling breath
          o Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Topiramate . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
                + Carbamazepine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the effectiveness of Topiramate may be decreased
                + Amitriptyline, carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or metformin because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
                + Risperidone because its effectiveness may be decreased by Topiramate
          o This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Topiramate may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
      How to use Topiramate :
          o Use Topiramate as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
                + Topiramate may be taken with or without food.
                + Drink plenty of fluids while taking Topiramate to prevent kidney stones from forming.
                + Swallow Topiramate whole. Do not crush, break, or chew before swallowing.
                + Suddenly stopping Topiramate may cause seizures to occur more often. Stopping therapy should be gradual.
                + If you miss a dose of Topiramate , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
          o Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Topiramate .
      Important safety information:
          o Topiramate may cause dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, difficulty concentrating, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Topiramate . Using Topiramate alone, with other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
          o Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Topiramate . Topiramate will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
          o Topiramate may reduce sweating, which could raise body temperature, especially in children. The risk of this serious side effect is greater in hot weather and/or during vigorous exercise. Drink plenty of fluids and dress lightly while in hot climates or when exercising. Check carefully for signs of decreased sweating. If this occurs, promptly seek cooler or air-conditioned shelter and/or stop exercising. Seek immediate medical attention if your body temperature is above normal, or if you have mental or mood changes, headache, or dizziness.
          o Additional monitoring of your dose or condition may be needed if you are taking other medicines that reduce sweating. These medicines include anticholinergics (eg, benztropine), amitriptyline, haloperidol, or carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide).
          o Topiramate may result in a change in the acidity (pH) of your blood. If you experience loss of appetite, changes in breathing, tiredness, or change in heart rhythm, contact your health care provider.
          o Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Topiramate .
          o Topiramate may decrease the effectiveness of your birth control pill. To prevent pregnancy, be sure to use an additional form of birth control while using Topiramate .
          o Diabetic patients - Topiramate may alter blood sugar levels in patients taking metformin. Check your blood sugars more frequently and contact your doctor for dose changes.
          o LAB TESTS, such as serum bicarbonate, may be performed to monitor your progress. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
          o Topiramate is not recommended for use in CHILDREN under the age of 2 years; safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
          o . PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Topiramate during pregnancy. Topiramate is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the risks to your baby.
      Possible side effects of Topiramate :
          o All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
                + Abnormal skin sensations (numbness or tingling, decreased sensitivity)
                + abnormal walking
                + agitation or aggression
                + appetite loss
                + back pain
                + breast pain
                + change in speech
                + clumsiness
                + coordination decreased
                + confusion
                + constipation
                + decreased hearing
                + decreased sweating
                + depression
                + diarrhea
                + difficulty with concentration or attention
                + dizziness
                + drowsiness
                + dry mouth
                + fatigue
                + flu-like symptoms
                + hot flushes
                + injury
                + indigestion
                + infection
                + itching
                + leg pain;menstrual disorder;mood swings
                + muscle pain or contractions
                + nausea
                + nervousness or anxiety
                + runny nose
                + saliva increased
                + sex drive decreased
                + sinus swelling
                + skin disorder
                + stomach pain or ache
                + strange taste
                + sore throat
                + thinking problems
                + thirst
                + tremor
                + unstable emotions
                + vomiting
                + weakness.
"Trimming pounds gradually not only is healthier than crash dieting but also keeps your hair on your head. "Any woman who has lost 20 pounds or more in a period of three months is going to have a problem with hair loss," says Wilma Bergfeld, M.D., a dermatologist and director of the Section of Dermatopathology and Dermatological Research at the Cleveland Clinic." - Mothernature.com
anyone else notice it says 'sex drive increase'....but not sex drive decrease...or just the fact that it happened enough to add it to the list!
I've been taking topamax 25mg at bedtime for 5 weeks and it has all but eliminated my migraines.  mine are hormonal, i'm very dizzy most of the time, and at week 3 i developed eye pressure and had a neg mri scan and as of last night i have eye pain and temple pain.  Dr"s doesn't think its topamax, anybody else experiencing this?
I have just been prescribed Topamax starting 25mg a day the first week building up to 100mg a day by the fourth week.  I have migraines almost daily with aphasia being a part of the migraine. I noticed that aphasia can be a side effect of Topamax and was wondering if anyone has experienced this side effect.  I noticed people have said they feel in a fog after taking Topamax, but has anyone had aphasia? I am not concerned about the weight loss as I could lose a few pounds, I just want to make sure I will be able to do my job and take care of my young sister and son.
My experience STARTING Topamax bc it can be scary starting a potent medicine.
*Got on it for migraines, but rheumatologist approved it as well for improved management of fibro. pain since newely discovered uclers took away my advil and tylenol ain't doin crap. *Given the generic. *23 female. *Psychiatrist also approved because side effects not too bad as far as mood stabilizers. *Am also on Pristiq 100mg, Midrin PRN, Omeprazole 40mg (recently started for Ulcers)
**1st 25mg at night, since it can make you sleepy. Didn't notice anything at all.
**Then 25 morning, which I took a few hours too early without really thinking - I had to get up really early that morning. I was notable nauseous within about an hour - mild to moderate for about 1-2 hours and easily nauseated throughout the day to a mild level. I was in a fog like people talk about but it was very unlike any other medicine I had been on. If you know how the drug work it helps to explain this effect - it works on enhancing GABA and it slows down certain firings of the brain. So with what I was doing that morning I might normally be frustrated and feel a needing to say something (my therapist would say I am overly anxious and angry and defensive and all that) and that morning I instead felt okaaaay with not saying anything. A sentence appeared in my head but I didn't NEED to say it, I just looked at something in front of me and was ok with it. It wasn't a high but it was certainly closer to a high than how I normally am. I have been experiencing some increased irritability lately and it didn't really make that better or worse, fyi. I certainly get the GABA aspect of the drug and this was day 1 people! There was still my own irritability there but there were also times on day 1 as well as later days where I was Okaaaaaay. Not where "everything was a good idea" or I was clearly on an anti-depressant, which Topamax is not, but rather,...there was less concern, anxiety, doubt??? anyone else on this explain this better?
Later that day the nausea seemed to travel lower in the GI track..but it wasn't TERRIBLE. The whole day I was kinda wiped out - I have fibromyalgia so it was more of the same. The best way I can describe it is like when you're on vacation and you're trying to do all these things and it has nothing to do with WHAT you're doing (whether its fun or not), you just didn't get enough sleep, even if you got 12 hours of sleep, its as if you got 3, and its not like those days where you did get 12 when you normally get 7 and you are fatigued. This is like a sleepiness. That is just how it feels! And it continued to feel that way for me after day 1!
**Ok, 25 mg that night and again, more mild-moderate nausea. SLeeeeeepy. I did get to sleep a little sooner although not astoundingly sooner. I had been wishing to get to sleep sooner too! :/
Ok don't want to take up too much space, I should start a blog bc Topamax was interesting and I like reading other peoples writings on these things. So what I have noticed so far is that overall these have been side effects and they have warn darn fairly quickly. I will probably make up dates. ;)
Jeez, what I completely forgot - I was really hoping for the weightloss from topamax bc my stomach has almost become distended in comparison to my body in the last couple months and I have put on about 25 pounds in the last 6 months, which is more than I ever have at 23 years old. Have been WATCHING my diet, especially with an ulcer and EXERCISING even -WITH- Fibromyalgia and tendonitis. But the TOPAMAX HAS NOTABLY INCREASED MY APPETITE!!! I WANT SALTY foods alot AND EVEN SUGARY FOODs. Overall it is like restaurant or prepared foods like chicken tenders or real dinners, like bacon bacon bacon, burgers won't cut it, BACON lots of it, fries maybe, twizzlers, potatoes, butter, salt, crackers, pasta, chips, salty food, cake, have some, then more, it isn't ridiculous but it is quite notable and very much linked to the topamax, seriously!?? I mean come on! My stomach can't get any more distended, it'll burst! The craving is so strong, is it something with the GABA? if it is then how does topamax work with weightloss??? :( maybe it will wear off with the other side effects.
Hi friends,did anyone take topamax in addition to cipralex and wellbutrin...
really I;m taking the last two for depression,but I asked my dr to give me topamax to lose weight..
anyone got through the same case.
also I need an effective vitamen for hair
I am a 45 old woman.
thanks..
Whatever you get make sure it has ZINC thats what my doctor said, I suggest prenatal and make sure it has MSM - lengthens the amount of time the hair spends growing which is perhaps what the Topamax shuts off.
So here is what I realize I have been experiencing on Topamax as I sit here on my laptop...its not finger tingling. its HEEL tingling, like my heels keep falling asleep really easily.
Oh and during Pms, or really PMDD ( so almost 3 weeks of the month) the Topamax (100mg) is like 70-95% ineffective, crap.
I know this is an old conversation, but I thought I might be of some good use to you all.

Like the ORIGINAL poster of this thread, I too had gained a large amount of weight after taking Zoloft for five years. So, my doctor prescribed me Topamax to help with the weight, as well as my miagrains, and sleep disorder.  This was in 2003. I took Topamax for about 6 months. I did the same 25/mg build per week until I reached the 100/mg dosage. My original weight before Zoloft was about 98lbs. After Zoloft... Nearly 200lbs.

After three months of taking Topamax, I had lost 42lbs. I had the typical side effects: Numb Tingling Sensation in my fingers, sleepiness (this was supposed to happen since I also took the medication for insomnia), losing track of time... It all got better the longer I took the drug. My body began to adjust and get used to the dosage once I reached the full dosage, and the minor side-effects dissapeared over time. I had minor hair loss from losing a mass amount of weight in such a short period of time, but it was nothing anyone else would really notice except myself.

Regarding water retention AFTER stopping Topamax... Topamax actually DEHYDRATES your body to a fairly extreme amount. This is why they suggest taking the medication with a FULL glass of water, and staying hydrated by drinking water throughout the day. If you do NOT drink a sufficient amount of water during the day, your urine begins to turn a different color, become very odersome, and you can visually see some form of sediment in the urine itself. It may even become painful too urinate. This happened to me because I refused to drink very much water. I HATE water LOL It is VERY important that you remain drinking water during the duration of taking this medication. Back to the point, any water retention you feel after DISCONTINUING the medication is ACTUALLY your bodys NATURAL retention coming back. It may feel like you are bloated or hoding in water, but once you get used to the medication dehyrating you.. it does feel a bit odd. You'll get used to it.

I stopped taking the medication when I lost my insurance. I didn't need it for weight loss anymore because after losing the amount of weight I did as fast as I did, I found the inner security and strength to live a healthier lifestyle. I now have 2 children, and actually LOST WEIGHT with each pregnancy (NOT TAKING TOPAMAX ofcourse). I am now 28 years old, 5'8 and 129 lbs. Ive never been happier and do not for one second regret my time taking Topamax.

I realize that there are some very scary things that happen on this medication, especially when you have no former experience with other medications like this. But if you give your body enough time to adjust, it will. If it does not, or you get scary side-effects like EYE PRESSURE or pain, CALL YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATLEY as it can become a permanant eye condition. This means your body can not handle the dose you are one, and will have to be weaned down. It does not happen to everyone, but it CAN happen to some.

I'm starting topamax tonight. My doctor said this is a very rare side effect, but if my eye starts 'hurting' I'm to stop taking it immediately. Anyone else's dr. tell them that?
yes it can in rare cases cause gluacoma i dont know thats spelled properly but Im on it for seizures and have a trend of being allergic to everything so yea i got that warning to :)
Hi there!
I was on Topamax a few years ago and lost approxmently 20% of my weight..so about 40 pounds...I also started breaking out on a rash all over my body and severe hairloss..my Doctor took me off the medication immeadiately as he thought I was having severe reactions...turns out it was severe reaactions to my alcoholic ex husband...after I left my ex the migraines stopped and i was doing fine...but stress has reared its ugly heard again and I am now back on the drug... so far no side affects...25 mg a day...maybe another good weight loss(lol)
I also too am up to 200mg and have lost the weight loss effect..lost a ton of weight and now have gained it all back and am discourgaed....did you get any advice on what to do to lose it again....or is your body just used to the medication? I am discouraged.
I was suppose to always take Topamax but I got serious with it when I started taking Ampyra for my MS because one of the side effects for Ampyra was seizures...so I figured hey just in case let me cover myself and start taking Topamax and wow...I have loss 63 pounds in in 4 months...of course the paranoid side of me wants to freek out and think something else is there the doctors have missed and I'm dying..lol...but everybody says it's the Topamax...after reading all the post here I'm feeling a little better thanks..
I agree...u obviously dont and never have a to deal with weight loss...its ppl like u that are the real idiots.....alot of times like myself there are underlyin medical issues that cause ppl to be overweight..and for us we cant help but to deal with the way our bodies work..such as low thyroid...certain meds a person may be takin that lowers ur metabolism and makes u feel so fatigued u can barely get around muchless feel like exercising...so before u look at a person and judge them for how they are or how they look and just asume they are lazy fat ***** that just dont take the time to eat properly and excercise...(while that may be the case for some ppl)..you really need to know that particular person and their situation...I have the same rare disease that contributed to Bernie Macs death...have a low thyroid.......chronic fatigue...a ton of other medical problems and on all kinds of meds that bring me down...my thyroid is fixin to have to come out because it is literally dead..which contributes to my fatigueness(not choiced Laziness for sure)....which also controlls a persons metabolism in which I have none so in other words if I eat a piece of cake I gain 6 lbs...my meds that I have to be on to live...some of the side effects are that they make u hungry all the time and fatigued...I hve been on several rounds of steriods....and I am only 30 yrs old been suffering with this disease at least since 2004 since I was diagnosed but prolly all my life....I am a very beautiful woman....still even wen I am overweight I carry my weight well but I am at my heaviest that I have ever been...so yes I am searching for ANYTHING to help me as for I cant just pick my *** up and make my body do something it refuses to do without some kind of medicine to change the brain signals....I already hve some hair loss and I hve very thick long hair if I start loosing to much or start feeling crazy common sense will tell me to get off of it..the bottom line is I need help to get this weight off of me..and their are others that are like me...so before you go runnin your mouth with ur opinions about others u should really walk a day in their shoes....so many times we look at one person or another and judge them...just by merly lookin at their outward appearence wheather it be their weight or alot of other things....if you were that person for a day u may just change u heart and ur way of thinking....all we all can do as people really is judge ourselves only and try to help another person thru kind words,love,and affection.You really didnt do urself or anyone other human any good with your comment that you made...and I started gaining all this weight after I started all these medications and after I found out I was sick..so dont come back with do you think you cud have the medical issues because of your weight..the answer is no....however I am glad that you wake up every morning feelin spiffy full of energy and I am sure you prolly work out everyday and lead a full filling  life...some of us arent that fortunate....
I am not experiencing any loss of appetite or anything:( I was prescribed it for migraines which it is really helping for but I am eating just as I always have. Also, I haven't lost a hair on my head the only really side effects am getting am numbness and tingling, bleeding gums and it sometimes effects my sleep. Am on 100mg and was hoping to loose a little weight on it as a bonus lol Steve.
Hello, My neuro. started me on topo last week for migraines and seizures caused from migraines. He then looked at me and said that one of the side effects is weightloss. Well, that just thrilled me, but now all these horror stories about hairloss has got me really scared. I started losing my hair a year ago and the Dr. doesn't know why. The only med I have been on is Benicar for high B.P.  He checked for vitamin def, & iron levels and everything came back fine. Why is hairloss not listed as one of the side effects? I have suffered with migraines for years and have recently( this year) started fainting and having seizures with them. I have had cortizone shots and they seemed to help some but it makes me wonder if that is why I am having seizures now. I had an eeg this morning and have an mri scheduled for Wed. Is there anything else that will help prevent migraines without the side effects hairloss or weightgain?
I was just given topomax for severe migranes, but I read that it may interact with birth control pills and have not read any comments on the topic.  My doctor is on vacation and I need to know before I start to take if if I need to use another form of birth control since my doctor failed to mention it after I told her I am on the pill.  Also a year ago I lost half of my hair to the point I was partly bald.  My doctor told me it might have been my thyroid and had blood test.  My results were borderline so he dismissed it, yet there has been much talk about changing the results criteria because many people are misdiagnosed specially when they are borderline. I asked my pharmacist about natural supplement and he suggested phytopanare, that are made by a hair product line and are expensive and you also have to take them for 4 months, but I have to tell you it all grew back, all of it and it is still growing eventhough I never took it again.
I just started taking Topamax again for migraines (3 doses now) after stopping 4 years ago when my previous insurance ran out.  This was before generics for this medication were around, mind you.  When I took it before I had no hair loss, so I can't comment on that.  However, for those experiencing tingling/numbness in fingers and toes, I was told this is due to a lack of Potassium caused by the medication and to eat a banana.  This and a constant low-grade fever (99.5 or so) were my only side effects.  I was on it for 2 months (my highest dose was 75mgs 2x daily), and I lost 15 pounds without changing my diet or exercising more.
I just started taking Topamax again for migraines (3 doses now) after stopping 4 years ago when my previous insurance ran out.  Too bad, because it was amazing for preventing migraines and reducing the severity when I got them.  After a constant migraine for over a month before I went on this medication, I was sad to have only been able to be totally migraine-free for 1.5 months before I had to quit Topamax.  This was before generics for this medication were around, mind you.  When I took it before I had no hair loss, so I can't comment on that.  However, for those experiencing tingling/numbness in fingers and toes, I was told this is due to a lack of Potassium caused by the medication and to eat a banana.  This and a constant low-grade fever (99.5 or so) were my only side effects.  I was on it for 2 months (my highest dose was 75mgs 2x daily), and I lost 15 pounds without changing my diet or exercising more.  Lets hope I have the same success this time around....
Okay, I went to my family Dr. and told him what I read about the hairloss and he told me that it's not the topo but the rapid weightloss that's causing it. He started me on prenatel vit. incase I start droping lbs. One thing I have noticed since I've started taking topo is when I drink a soda or anything with citric acid in it, it burns my tongue. Does this happen to anyone else? Also, I noticed that on the warning label it says to swallow pill whole, not to break or crush it. My neuro has me breaking them in half as I increase the dose each week. Some weeks I take whole ones, then the next there's always a half of one added. Is this dangerous? Thanks for any help!
i have just started with topamax for bipolar and i have found that it has totally taken away my aggression. I have a weight problem i weigh 85 kg and am 5ft 6 so i am hoping this helps as i have had problems with anorexia in the past on thinz
Om-goodness
I just happened to look up Topamax as I have been on it for about a year for Bipolar off and on. I was started off on a low dose and increased to 100 mg twice a day. In the past 4 months, since I have been on it steadily, I have had a lot of hair loss. I had noticed it in the bath and in my brushes. I have thick hair but attributed it to my thyroid medication as it gets of balance at times and can cause hair loss too. This makes more sense.  I most certainly have a chat with my Doctor. I haven't had the the weight loss every one else seems to have had, I am also on albilfy.  It gives you an appetite. I stay about the same weight but would love to lose some lbs. But without the hair loss. Thanks to all those who wrote about this issue.I would have never known.
Kelly
I have been prescribed Topamax for migraines, When I started taking it I weighted 250lbs, The reason I was so big is because the headaces kept me from daily activities. I just couldnt function. I went from 250lbs to 161lbs... It was great. I have a lot of hair so the hair loss was no big thing to me.The eye twitching was because I was tired, and it can keep you up for days. I was on a small dose and upgraded to 50mg BID (twice a day). I would always forget to take it on a daily basis, but when i did take it I did feel better and felt the weight just drop. I am also on other medication in combination with this drug. Clonazepam- Topamax caused anxiety issues with me, Oxycodone- for the pain in my neck and sholders that cause the headaches, Resently I have the nerve ending cut on my C2-C7 spine to help the headaches, which I recommend. Although headache return, about ever 4-6 months its the best feeling ever. I love topamax and tell everyone it's not for everyone. but it works great with the weight loss, I seen change the first month I started taking it, Now that I have come off it I have gain 14lbs, As you know what I will be doing to fix the weight gain problem. Any anti-depressant meds will make you gain weight that will never come off, Lamital, Wellbutrin(ms) all those are bad for you, My saying has and always and will be. "Why are there never any good side effects? Just once I'd like to read a medication bottle and see "May cause extreme sexiness".
Topamax is the only one close to it. Good luck to you all, BTW, I never exercised with it. It gave me enough energy that I could clean my whole house in 3 hours flat, and I have 5 kids, go figure, I would like to tell ya when you do take it though, and stop for a while you want to eat all the time. so watch it if you are coming off it... GOOD LUCK!!!
I was put on topamax for constant migraines just before Xmas 2010 and quickly ramped it to 50mg per day. I have not lost anything, but am now on 75mg.  Im a big guy and have piled the weight (70lbs) on due to my migraines affecting my ability to exercise. I could really do with losing a few, but is 75mg enough to do it to a guy of my size (317lbs)?
Wow wow wow ...

I've been on topamax for 6 years now to control a seizure disorder.  I take 200 mg/day at night.  I would give my right arm to be able to go off it.  I need to lose about 100 pounds (the result of 16 years on Dilantin), so the whole weight loss effect never really caught on with my body.  But I cannot believe that people are taking this drug to lose weight.  I understand the frustration and desire to lose weight ... but the side effects of this drug are not worth it.  
I don't know whether to cry right now or scream. I was prescribed Topamax about 4 yrs ago and I'm not at my maximum dosage for migraine headaches 200 mg. at bedtime. My hair is very baby fine and thin to begin; however, I've never had any hair loss in my brush when I've combed my hair. About 8 months or more ago I really started noticing a lot of hair in my combs and brushes. Yesterday after an appointment with my hair stylist reality set in when she confirmed with me that I've had about 40% hair loss. I called my pharmacy and asked them if they were aware of hair loss and Topamax.. to my surprise they said YES!!!!!! When a person has cancer and they have to undergo chemotherapy what is one of their first thoughts??? OMG I am going to lose my hair!!!!!!! How can a drug company not make you completely aware of the fact that this drug has some serious side effects and one of them is HAIR LOSS!!! SIGNIFICANT HAIR LOSS!!! I read on a post somewhere else that the hair does not grow back either that once lost the hair follicle is closed which makes sense and explains the real negative tone in my pharmacists voice when she confirmed to me about Tompamax and hair loss. I've also experienced memory loss with this medication and also had a lot of problems with mood swings and I'm normally not a moody person. I take this medication for prevention of migraines and it hasn't helped me that much. I did lose quite a bit of weight on this medication but would have rather done it on my own and kept my hair;. I will now try to take as many vitamin supplements as possible and try hair regrowth products like Noixin  I would be careful because the hair loss does not happen right away...it happens when you are put on a higher dose or at least that's how it happened for me and then the hair loss happened very very quickly. Really saddens me this drug is even on the market.
Lol I just take Topamax for my epilepsy that's what it's actual purpose is for. It slows down brain wave activity so if your not an epileptic experiencing things such as staring off into space is quite a normal side effect of the drug. As far as the hair loss goes... Topamax decreases appetite therefore the body may not crave it's usual foods. Taking a daily vitamin will help with this. If your body is malnourished, than issues such as hair loss and weaker nails will occur. That's why people who are anorexic tend to loose globs of hair and tend to be weaker. Although you might not be anorexic on the drug, your body is being deprived of the proteins and nutrients. Hope this helps :)
I've been on topomax for about a year and I love it! I also experience seizures of just staring off. at first they had me on Seroquel and I gained 90pounds just like that, nothing I did made me lose the weight, finally after 8 long years of being FAT and disgusting, I am losing the weight I got up to 208lbs now so far I am at 155lbs and I feel so much better about myself.I cant wait till I hit 140. As for the hair loss I've always had real thin hair from a thyroid problem I have, so I just shave my head and wear a wig. everyone likes it, and I dont always wear the wig either, and people dont stare or make rude comments. Good luck everyone!  25mgs thats all I take
I have experienced constant muscle twitching in the eye lids (above and below) both eyes shortly after starting Topamax. (200 mg per day) I'm also taking a number of medications for asthma/COPD and have been on them for over 20 years. The Dr's are trying to tell me that it's completely related to those medications instead but I'm not buying it because it's impossible, Topamax is the new drug in my system. Month two I'm already noticing hair loss and after reading these posts I'm quite alarmed. This medication was prescribed to me for nerve and back pain after 16 years of dealing with it. The various side effects which are adding up day by day are starting to out way the original reason for taking it. I've lost 15 lbs. to date. The biggest reward is getting me off soda and beer or any other sugary carbonated beverages, feeling full quickly, greatly reducing calorie intake. I have very thick hair and after many years cursing it, I'd ultimately now hate to loose it due to tiny little pills, and more importantly in a potentially non reversibly way. I already have numbing and tingling in my feet due to central stenosis of the spinal cord prior to beginning this drug so I could do without more but the finger tip issue has seemed to subside. After providing the many side effects before getting authorizations for refill by phone, they happily refill it. Greatly concerned, and really considering other options that are less dangerous. Just last week I couldn't add simple math on paper or in my head. Not acceptable and they seem unconcerned. Other side effects I've had is zero interest in sex, inability to find words or loss of thoughts, mood swings, emotional, walking sideways to the right, waking up and hitting my spouse if my dream is physical (twice now, never ever done this before) and other things I can't recall at this moment. Pro's and con's for you may be different. Do your research if this is a option for you. I didn't and wish I had.
I am sorry to everyone that has had the side effect of hair loss. but I am also thankful to have found this feed because I didn't even know until now that I should watch for this side effect I had read all the side effect but I don't recall it being listed on the paper I got with my medication.  I don't recall how long I have been on this medicine exaclty but I am still not on the full dosage I have been slowly working my way up the side effects seem make me feel very sick so I have taken my time and went slowly. I was on 50 mg a day up until this week and now my doctor has told me he wants me to go up to the full 100 which I am not thrilled about I would have been happy and satisfied with the 50 i rarely got a migraine on the 50mg a day. I personally didn't feel the need to go up. Now going up I am already feeling the effects my eyes are very dry and I have blurry vision. I am very tired. My stomach is very upset and aches. I have been getting an awful ringing in my ear. I can't imagine if I go up to 100 mg next week how this will affect me. I notice some of you said that you didn't notice a taste change right away but from dose one I didn't like the taste of pepsi and that use to be all I would drink now it is water. I am now seriously worried about my hair falling out but the I have severe migraines every day without this medicines I went from having a grouchy life fussing at my kids have to keep lights off in my house all the time and could enjoy life to a normal one. I don't want to go back to that. So if anyone finds out anything about How to deal with the hair loss side effects if it happens to everyone and why exaclty it happens I would really like more info. Also I was wondering how long before all the side effects would fade away. thank you.
I consider myself almost an expert user on this drug.  I have been on and off Topomax for about 12 years and it is absolutely thee wonder drug for my migraines.  I have been on 100 mg to 400 mg.  I have put myself on Topomax and I have taking myself off.  Realizing I most likely need to stay on it.   I went from suffering 4-6 migraines per week to maybe 1 breaking through every month or so once my body gets use to the topomax.  I lost all the weight that I gained from all the medications I went on through trial and error. I believe, I generally went down to the weight I should be from the beginning.  And i pretty much eat what I want, i just don"t crave junkfood when I am on Topomax but very very thirsty.  As far as the fuzziness, forgetfulness etc.. goes, its best to take this medication, I believe, at night, I will not take any during the day.  It makes me tired and sometimes I will be in the middle of speaking and forget what I am saying in the middle of a sentence, I feel like people are looking at me as though I am on somethings else because I am spacey and drymouth. So I take it all at night so I can sleep most of the loopiness off.  When a migraine does break though, Zomig saves me.  1 more thing as far as the hair loss: definitely the rapid weightloss, because I tried switching shampoos and using dyes with no ammonias in it, sometimes this was the reason but because I have been on Topomax for so long and dropped weight fast at times and gradually I can say it is not the drug.  But Topomax is a great preventive drug for migraines.
Hey everyone~ I've read most of the comments on here and haven't seen anyone mention kidneystone trouble. I was on topomax 100mg 3 yrs ago for migraines and I loved it. It fought off the horrible head aches and as a bonus kept me at a very nice size. However, within a month I started passing kidney stones. For those of you who never had one, I pray you never get one. For those who have, I so feel your pain!
In the past year my doc had me on Zoloft and I gained over 35 lbs. I'm going on 40 so losing weight isn't as easy as it use to be. I recently mentioned Topomax to my doc and he is willing to set me up on it again, all I have to do is say the word. But, do to past experience I'm hesitant. So.... I'm wondering is there anyone here who has suffered from kidney stones due to taking Topomax and what have you done to prevent it???
I do know it is very wise and recommended to drink a lot of water while on the drug due to kidney stones being a possible side effect. Also, for those who drink a lot of milk, well kidney stones are built from calcium intake. Please be careful!
Hi just got these this am from my doc for bi polar .... would be great to loose weight on them as have 7 stone to loose will see how it goes starting on 25mg's
Questions please just started Topamax for daily migraines 50mg twice a day.

1.  I take Prozac with this does anyone else?
2.  Will the Prozac and Topamax still results in weight loss?
3.  I do feel the brain fog but I'll take that over cluster headaches!
Does the "fog" go away?
4.  Over time do you feel "normal" mentally on this drug to drive work etc?

thanks a lot for your reply!  Suz
I notice my hair thining, so I started taking biotin 5000mg, msm (powder form), prenatal vitamin they can be found at your local health food store. Like the other ladies losing the weight so fast your body is losing that nourishment so you have to replace that. I also take a live juice enrich with Noni-Acai Berry-Mangosteen-Goji-Pomegranate, Dr Oz talked about these powerful antioxidants on his shows, I found this drink on this website: www.ardysslife.com/cknight. I have engery, sex drive, no eye pressure, full hair, no migraines. I'm very happy. Everyone is different, but supplements is very important for our bodies especially losing weight very fast. My dr did not tell me about the side effects, I had to do my own research & talk to other ppl. Good Luck Ladies! Don't Get Discouraged.
Chelle
good to know about the hair loss, awhile back i'd been prescribed 200mg as a mood stabilizer in conjunction with my ADD meds, and truthfully i don't feel like my moods really need stabilizing but (this is going to sound awful) i *really* could stand to lose about 25 lbs. i took topamax for a long time and took a break from it for a while because i wasn't working and totally couldn't afford it (it's like $125 a month at the dosage i'm taking it where i live) but i'm back on it now...someone up there ^ said that she didn't notice a difference in the appetite suppression in 200mg vs.100mg so i think in the interest of stretching it out ($!) i'm going to just take 100mg a day, the last thing i need is my hair falling out! i've been taking it about a week and have lost 5 lbs so far...one thing i do notice with topamax is that my appetite leaves almost totally, but when i do get hungry, i have to eat whatever the one weird thing i feel like, if i eat anything but whatever i'm craving in particular i can't even chew it, i feel gaggy! i can't just eat any old thing to fill the gap which is unfortunate :/. i'm going to go back and read a bunch more of this thread, it's such a big help! :)
I was prescribed Topamax last year for migraine prevention. I have actually gained a lot of weight DUE to my migraines, which increased substantially when I moved to the Houston, TX area with its high heat, humidity, and frequent barometric pressure changes. I only get migraines in the summer when it is hot, humid, and there are a lot of tropical storms in the area. Then they are almost daily--and summer here lasts about 6 months or longer, so it became debilitating. My symptoms include extreme fatigue, hunger, yawning, nausea (alleviated by eating), food cravings, and alcohol cravings--in particular, I crave wine. I hardly drink at all in the winter months or when on vacation to climates that do not trigger, so I don't think I am making excuses. Also, it must be chardonnay--other forms of alcohol will not do, and have no appeal. So....I packed on a ton of weight when I moved here. I had no idea why. All I knew was that summer afternoons made my head hurt and the only thing that made me feel better was to eat, drink, and sleep. Six months after moving here, I had gained nearly 30 lbs--and I am a person who had always been naturally thin until then. I was 35 at the time. I also had no energy for my usual workouts, which compounded the weight gain. 8 years later, I exercise every day, no matter how bad I feel, but I still have weird cravings and sometimes need the wine to cope with the impending headache.
OK--that's the background.
Last summer I started on Topamax. I dropped some 7-8 pounds easily and stopped having cravings. I think I ramped up the dose too fast and too high, though, because I had seriously frightening SEs like racing heart and shortness of breath. I could not walk across the room without feeling like I was about to pass out or even thinking I was having a heart attack. So, I stopped taking it on my own (did not consult my neuro).
I should mention here that I don't have very good insurance and my neuro is an hour away, so I was reluctant to spend the money and time for every little question.
Well, long story longer, it was all fine because this all transpired in early fall and the headaches were not an issue. Now it is summer again and all the same symptoms are back with a vengeance, and I have gained back the few pounds I had lost, along with a few extra, due to the same cycle described above. I walk 5 mi every day and go to the Y 3-4 days per week, eat a mainly veg diet, but now that the pressure drops every afternoon I am craving weird things and drinking A LOT. The wine does not even taste good. The catch-22 is that it makes me even hungrier because of the messed up blood sugar that results.
So, I still have a scrip for Topamax and I am thinking about starting it up again, this time at a lower dose and titrating at a slower rate to avoid the side effects.
I know this is a super long post, but I am interested in any input. I think I was on 150 or 200 mg when I had the bad SEs. I was thinking to start at 25 per day and work to a max of 100. Thoughts? (Yes, I know I should call my neuro and I probably will).
Thanks~~
I was on seroquel xr for he'll with sleep and to stabilize my moods. I gained 50lbs in 3 months. I have since been taken off and started on topamax for weight loss. I've tried several times to slowly increase to 100mg but I get AWFULL anxiety and heart palpatations. Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Also I'm so full of energy I could only sleep 2 hrs a night. Any advice? Ty ty ty
I started on Topamax, actually, I'm on the GENERIC topiramate, about a month and a half ago.  I started out at 25 mg twice a day for one month.  No side effects, not even the dopey feeling.  I guess its because I take it with a whole bunch of meds for my ADD, depression, such as Adderall, Wellbutrin, Lexapro, Lamictal, and I don't feel that brain fog everyone talks about.  Nor have I lost any hair, and that tiredness?  If anything, I haven't gotten any sleep off of this drug, and yet, I have all this energy the next day without feeling so tired or groggy!  (I'd get 2-3 hours sleep max)  This is an energy pill for me.  After a month, the psych increased it to 50 mg twice a day, I'm at a month and a half, and I weighed myself and I have lost 20 lbs. (two days ago I was 6 lbs heavier, that's how much of an appetite I don't have on this) since I've started.  Still, no hair loss, my nails are growing faster and stronger than every before WTF?, no brain fog, still have all this energy, it helps stabilize my mood, its been a long time since I've felt so 'up' and 'positive' and 'good' despite my depression.  Everybody reacts differently, so its not all bad.  Maybe the negative side effects will hit me later on, but as of right now, I'm only feeling all the positive ones.
hi my name is katharine .. im 19 years old. im alittle scared to know whats to happend to me on the side  of effects .bc im on 25mg. and im hearing hair loss  eye vision . itchy eyes  mermoy loss . yelling things out .  but im already getting itchy waterly eyes and sleepness  i stay up untill maybe 3 or 4 am when i should be in bed and dont  get up untill 2 pm . im i have a job so this rly doesnt help much ?? but i was wondering  i run or sometimes walk with the dog at nite  can anyone tell me what week they started to notice a bad and a good diffenece in their self bc i see alott of BREAK OUTS  on me that i dont know how to handle and also everyone is loosing weight i dont feel a diffence there ?? idk why ? it my 2 month .
I'm 18 and have had a constant daily headache since April 28 2008. I've tried Topamax in the past for it for about two months, but without seeing results, the doctors took me off of it. Now, a newer doctor put me back on it to try again and also for weight loss. Within the three years with the headache, I've gained about 30-35lbs because of inability to exercise, leaving me at 150lbs at 5'2". The only side effects I've experienced so far with Topamax is tingling and numbness in my fingertips, which I also experienced the other time I was on the medicine. As kj74 (Katherine) mentioned, it is tending to make me as well stay up late and sleep in late; I just attributed this to my normal sleeping habits, so I'm not really sure if this is the medication or if it's just me. I plan to stay on the medicine for a couple months to see how the weight goes and the headache. If nothing changes or if I'm happy with the weight loss, I'll get off by October or November. I don't want to get to a point of taking higher doses or staying on a medicine just for weight loss purposes for any long length of time. My doctor told me that is the only over-the-counter medication that actually works, so for all of you who are only taking this for weight loss purposes, I'd suggest that if you have problems with Topamax.
I am about to start Topamax today.  I'm somewhat scared now due to all of the previous posts! The main reason I am being put on it is because I have been having these "spells" of dizziness, confusion, disoriented, pain in my eyes.  The neurologist ordered an MRI of the brain, C-spine MRI and EEG.  The EEG and C-spine were normal, but the MRI of the brain showed significant scaring of the tissue like those who suffer migraines (which I do suffer from probably twice a month).  Upon reading the previous comments, I'm noticing that my current symptoms are SIDE EFFECTS of Topamax!  Just wonderful!  I've got a head full of thick, curly hair and could afford to lose about 50lbs.  WIsh me luck!!!
Has anyone had the inability to sweat? I take 100mg twice for migraines. Have been on it for 9 months now. Have went through all kinds of side effects with the tingling sensations and feeling crazy (couldn't say what I was thinking, basically a word salad, inability to concentrate, etc) but no more migraines!!! I just can't sweat. I'm an RN so I'm aware of all the possibilities of overheating, just wasn't sure if anyone else has this same problem.
Oh WoWeeeee...
I have just been prescibed Topomax for chronic migraines and after reading the hefty listed side effects on paper, I thought I would seek further insight from the voice of peeps who speak of experience in taking Topo. Very interesting too and have read all the way through. Having read all the side effects listed above and experienced, concluding as a whole it suggests the side effects experienced are all very similar and to different degrees from mild ranging through to acute.

I speak for myself here but as a migraine sufferer I often experience the listed/ talked of side affects without taking the meds anyway, such as brain fog, problems with cognitive such as speech, use of words, memory, concentration, light sensitivity, tiredness, irrability, impaired taste etc... the list goes on! Does anyone else share this as a migraine sufferer? That is before taking any medication!

Its seems to be after reading the majority that suffer the most adverse side affects are those whom are taking other medication/ prescribed drugs too, alongside with Topomax. Would anyone agree here? I'm only making observations and trying to make sense of having read all the above.

I have never been so scared of taking a tablet before but as above if you suffer migraines, epilepsy or bi-polar can also prove very effective and with the added bonus of weight loss if desired or required. I just wonder if this will personally have a counteractive effect with already existing symptoms without taking Topomax or if will make matters worse!? Mmmm decisions.

I will though go with the good advice above and take extra nutrients to counteract hairloss & malnutirion of vital viatmin intake such as using Biotrin, Glucosamine, Pottasium also, Phytophanere hair & nail supplements to be on the safe side.

Even though I'm still undecided as to take Topomax, when I look at the pros and cons alot of the side effects I already have naturally, due to suffering with migraines. Overall it seems to be highly effective whilst using the meds. Another concern though is no one appears to know if the side effects such as hairloss, impaired cognitive skills subside once treatment is finished and also the possibility and likelyhood of the migraines returning also, weight loss.

There are still a few questions un-answered if anyone else can add to all the above please do, I would be very interested to read more on regaining hair growth, if these extra nutrients and products do help counteract such side affects like hairloss and impairment of cognitive skills and memory, or if it is a direct and more permanent result of Topomax. More views/ experience of users welcome more so on the after effects and longterm results of Topomax. Thanks to all made a good read!
I have been on Topamax for over 3 yrs. now and it is one anticonvulsant I am not allergic to.  I have tried 27 others.  YEAH!!! had brain surgery, etc.  but, Topamax has done a number on me.  I am down to 92 pounds at the moment.  Last time I wound up going to an eating disorder clinic to get my weight back up because I didn't know how to get it up.  This time I am going to ask my primarey care for something to stimulate my appetite to fight the Topamax. I don't like being this thin and tired.  I am on 350 in the morning and 350 mg at night.  You talk about loosing your hair....mine is not to bad but at times it comes out at once and the next time nothing.  Just depends.  
Kathy Cook
Just took my 1st 25mg dose tonight. I am expected to titrate up to 50mg. next week. After reading through these posts, I am very concerned.

I have lovely hair. I have made on more than one occasion donations of my hair to Beautiful Lengths, but that does not mean I am okay with the idea of it shedding away down a drain…not that the idea of shedding a few pounds was off putting.

However, I am so very concerned about the cognitive impairment reported by many here. This side effect is  one symptom of the migraines I’m trying to prevent…one which has already had a negative impact on my work life.

I wonder if I too readily jumped into this Topamax idea after the midrin went away. The imitrex has just not proved as helpful in mitigating the onset of a migraine cycle for me-- which can rage in severity over days. I plan to impose upon a friend of mine whose specialty is internal medicine to further research Topamax. I miss midrin.    
Topamax is an awesome drug, I have epileptic and non-epileptic seizures...tried 5 different anti-convulsants and topamax has been working like a charm! Been on it for 2 years now :) the only downside is that since I've been on it I've lost massive weight, from 160 I'm now down to 103. And I absolutely loathe it when people accuse me of having eating problems. They don't understand what AED's can do. I'm a bit tempted to switch to another anticonvulsant that could help me gain weight but am scared that when I get weaned off topamax I'd start having seizures again and break my streak :(
Hi everyone,

I was reading the string here and seeing that alot of new Topamax users have many concerns about the side effects of Topamax and the benefits.  I have been taking 200mg Topamax daily since 2005 for partial onset seizures. Let me share with you some of the side effects I experienced.  Initially, tingly hands, hair shedding and I went from being fairly intelligent to feeling like a moron had taken possession of my mouth and thought processes.  I never lost a pound. Gosh darn it!  After about a year the tingling and the hair loss subsided.  You have to work on the brain functioning yourself, at least I felt that I needed too.  I read more, played memory type games, etc.  Keep a day planner not only for appts but also as a journal to record where you have been.  That way the time in space problem will not make you feel like crap.  Someone will ask you on Monday what you did on Friday and you cant answer them, but if you have your journal to kick start you, it will make you feel good.  Depending on why you are taking the medicine, things like that will make it all woth while.  I also started having some depression and anxiety.  I dont know if this was due to the medicine or the onset of epilepsy at 39.  I started taking Celexa 40mg and I feel wonderful and my mental and physical functioning has increased as well. I still say stupid stuff and forget things all over the place, but I was probably like that before!
i've been on topamax for several years now for seizures i take 75mg 3xper day and i'm beginning to show many unusual side effects...nauseau, vomiting, dizziness, memory loss, fatigue, speech problems and vision problems. I'm going to talk to the doc about changing my med...think about using this for weight loss only...it is a very powerful drug
You are so right!  I even had stomach Stapling/Bypass surgery and lost 180 lbs and half my hair.  What I started taking to get my hair back was high doses of biotin 5000mcg and it stopped my hair from falling out and I have a full thick head of hair back again.  Zinc is also good to add as a supplement for hairloss.  When you eat less, you are not getting your usual nutrients so you have to supplement with vitamins.  Hair loss, I would take extra biotin and zinc.  Thanks so much for pointing this out for the rest of us.
I have been on Topamax since 2005 and you can trust me when I tell you, hair loss, weight loss and appetite suppression is just something that happens with this drug.  It doesn't last forever...

The only sure way to to avoid hair loss is to take a time released multivitamin, like the kind you can buy at GNC.  This will stop hair loss, help with your skin from drying out  and help with many of the other symptoms.  You will sleep like a baby when you take these things, if anything your body needs extra potassium and magnesium anyway, so it wont hurt you, just go get some and you will see how much better your hair, nails, complexion and body feels.

As for weight loss...  It is short lived.  You don't loose weight forever...  As a matter of fact, your body will adjust and you will eventually start to gain, so don't get to comfortable with the idea of this drug as a wonder diet drug.  Increasing doesn't help with weight loss either, and lying to your doctor to try and loose weight is simply ridiculous.  It isn't a diet pill!  If you don't have headaches thank God!  That is why you took it in the first place right?  Basically, as with everything else it suppresses your appetite for a period of time and it will come back back.

Just remember, if you exercise...  And learn a new pattern at the beginning of taking this stuff, you may be one of the ones that keeps the lbs off.  

Good luck, hope you stay headache free as I have!