Weight Loss Alternatives Community
What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Viewing 201-400 comments:
this is my last hope as tried every thing else started topamac two days ago 50mg am and 50 mg pm  lets see what happens.  how long before weight loss starts???????
Give it a little more time.  I promise you it will pay off.  Once I hit week two and got to the 50 mg twice a day I saw results.  I am week 7 and have lost 19 lbs.  I have at least 50 to lose so I am thrilled!  The pain has basically disappeared. I have noticed a few changes (sleeping and eating changes, see my post above for more info).  But most of all: DONT GIVE UP...it will happen.  That being said, keep a journal of the changes you are going through and when you go back tot he Dr, let them know..that way they can keep track of whats going on.  They will know if they need to increase or decrease your dosage. Mine was just upped to 50 mgs three times a day and I have stalled.  Called the Dr and she said to keep trying it and if I haven't gotten over the "hump" then we can adjust in a couple of weeks.  Most Dr's will work with you as long as you can show progress and keep good notes.  I can say that it is a great thing for me and I hope it works for you as well.  Best of Luck!!
I recently started 100 mgs of Topamax. I know you all want to lose weight and that is an excellent side effect but the real question is , is it helping your primary concern? I have cluster migraines ( Due to an underlying Mitochondrial disorder) that are so violent they bruise my face, so the first focus is on the pain control. I will say that the typical daily headache has dropped from a 4  to a 2. Which may seem small but this all has to be taken in steps. I am hoping that through the titration of the medication, I will see even more pain control without much narcotic use at night. I have found staying on the migraine diet helps alot. Very helpful and walking also helps. The dopiness only gets worse if you lay around, so try to move around.
So sorry to hear of your condition. I hope that the Topamax turns out to be the answer for you. It can be such a wonderful drug... I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
Is topiramate different than topamax??
Hey-glad it is going well for you. I am in my second week as well and things are going well but do have a nagging slight head ache.. only at 25 mg in am and 25 mg at night. On Monday (2-27) I will be able to take 25 mg in am and then 50 mg total at night. (adding another 25 in am more following week).  I see you dr prescribed 50 mg in am and 50 mg at night for week 2.  Is that going well in whole?  I did read your post-anything else to report?  I am considering asking my doctor if I can bump up the dose to help my head. thanks!
Hi. Topirimate is the generic form of topamax.  I checked into this cuz holy geeze is topamax expensive!   I am on topirimate for that reason for my migraines. I looked it up and it is FDA approved for a generic equivalent with a "AB" Rating- the active ingredients are the same-the inactive ingredients may vary like dyers, fillers etc.  My prescription is made from Teva (example) and is approved. Hope this helps!

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/topamax/generic-topamax.html
HrtTxcoord: Yes, it is helping my migraines ALOT.  I went from 3-4 a week to a total of 2 in 6 weeks and they are not NEAR as bad or long as they were before.  I am happy with the pain management as well as the weight loss.  It has given  me the "jumpstart" that I needed to make me move. I think before I was depressed due to the pain and the thought that no matter what I did the weight would not come off or if I started something that a migraine would interrupt it and I would not be able to finish what I started.  Now, the time I have regained from not having the day or half a day ruined from migraines (or longer sometimes) I am using that time to get up off my couch and move.  I am walking, exercising and have signed up for Zumba classes.  As of today, I have lost 21 lbs. So I am thrilled.  I wish you the best of luck and hope your pain level decreases with time.

Meglo88: Best advice...talk to your doctor about everything...they will work with you.  and they will know how to adjust for the headaches that come with adjusting it.   I did notice a slight headache once I was upped to the next level each time, but my dr recommended taking one 200 mg ibuprofen with the topomax (topamax) (topirimate for me).  I am just thrilled with the results so far.  I was so tired of having to take off work and losing hours and days of my life to migraines.  My "prior" doctor would not think of trying topamax...she thought I would need to try everything else before taking it.  I found a new dr and she actually listened to me...imagine that! She said lets try it.  So, we are keeping track of everything  that I am dealing with, eating, trying to eat, sleeping issues, thoughts, concerns.  I just want to cover all bases cause I am a worry wart I guess.  I hate to take medicine...but I will take this one cause it works! I go back for more blood work and follow up March 14th...I will have more info afterwards on progress, but I will post on the weight loss info before then..crossing my fingers it will keep on being good news.  Good luck!  

Sorry that I post a novel each time I post, but I am just so dang happy about sharing the news that it is working for me.  I just hope that I may be able to share something that will help someone to make a decision to at least take the info to their doctor and discuss the possibilties.
thank you look forward to your comments will continue and wait x
I was just prescribed topamax today and am terrified to try it. I have pseudotumer and the diamox didnt work for me. You all have given me courage to at least try it. Thank you.
I took 3 tablets in the morning and 5 at night for years. I know of no side-effects which is unusual since I have to take a cholesterol medicine that is very uncommon because all the others triggered severe,immediate muscle pain. The antibiotic I took a few months ago made me very ill. I also take Vicodin,Soma,high BP meds,hormones,and pills for Hyper thyroidism and Hashimoto's disease. Last year we lost our insurance (among other things) so I stopped the Topiramate. I gained 40 pounds.NOW I KNOW WHY. EEK. I had no reaction to the medicine whatsoever except that I slept better than I do now and I have more headaches now. Don't fear Topamax. I get my insurance back next month and this will be my first purchase.
I want to say again I think it is wonderful that you are sharing your "novels" with everyone because any information-the good and the bad- is so helpful to those that have questions (and fears) regarding Topamax/Topirimate. I have been stopping in often to see what others are experiencing to see if my symptoms are typical or rare. Forums like these are an excellent find!
I had migraine's for over thirty years.  I am on twenty mg's of amitriptaline at night and my migraine's (except for my menstrual one) are totally gone.  Topamax didn't work for my migraine's ...
I have just started Topamax this morning. I have been diagnosed with Ocular Migraines. I also have numbness in my fingers and toes, the doctor said this plays a role with the migraines. Before this I had a hole in my heart and was having Tia's due to clots going into my brain. I am 28, so this shouldn't be happening! I have no brain damage which is awesome news. These migraines are so severe, I just about don't know what to do with myself. I have twins that are 22 months old and I am a stay at home mommy, there are times while in so much pain wish I could just go to bed. I have a question....knowing I just started this medication today, could it be possible that my diet pepsi is tasting different?! It doesn't taste good at all, it actually taste flat! Its not like I left it out or dropped it, I don't get it. As for the loosing weight, I am on Weight Watchers, so I wouldn't notice a difference anyway. Although I will notice the symptoms many are talking about. I will definitely keep you posted.
Hi and welcome. I wish you all the best with your medical challenges-quite frightening but sounds like you have a doctor that is on top of it! It must be hard especially with the little ones at home though. Topamax (or generic) is really working well for me so far.  I am starting my 3rd week only though for migraines (was on gabapentin previously-also an anticonvulsant for migraines).

The "funny" taste buds are the first thing that I noticed with Topamax- the flat pop being quite noticeable. Its so strange how a med affects it but it does. Everyone will have their own set of side effects-maybe none at all even. This is an EXCELLENT place to find out how people react to the Topamax.

I am so discouraged. I am back on topamax (I started back in Sept/Oct) and am experiencing NO weight loss. I am up 10 lbs from when I went off of it this past summer and I cant seem to lose it! I am vegan, I dont eat gluten or soy and I am rather active. I am at the same dosage that I was at before. Is anyone else experiencing this same awful UN-side effect? I am on it for mood stabilization.
Continued from above:
My concerns are these. This is my 2nd time on it and I have had NO weight loss and put on 10 lbs since going off of it the last time.

2nd, I am in organic chemistry and I need every brain cell I have to get through it and also the biology courses this summer. One of the big reasons I went back on it was to get the weight loss but since that never happened I want to go off of it so I can do well with my classes.

Any thoughts about just quitting it? I am on 200 mg.
thanks!
Your soda (or pop if you prefer) will taste flat because of the Topamax. It has something to do with the chemistry of the Topamax and how it reacts with carbonation. This side effect will most likely last as long as you are on the Topa. Fortunately, most folks lose a pound or two from the loss of calories. There is also a side effect called taste perversion so don't be surprised if some other things don't taste the way they used to. I sure hope that Topamax works for your Migraines. Best of luck.
Okay, weight loss on Topamax is a possible side effect, just like hair loss is a possible side effect. you may or may not get it. If you were lucky enough to get the weight loss side effect the first time around it is much less likely that you will get it the second time around.

If you are taking a medication for an illness then you need to choose the medication best suited to treat that illness. Not a medication that was specifically chosen because the patient wanted to see if they get a possible side effect. And yes, the cognitive effects can suck. having trouble with word-finding and just the overall stupids... it's frustrating. (one of the reasons it's sometimes called Dopeamax)

As far as quitting. Of course you can quit. You need to talk to your doctor first. You'll need to taper your dosage down. DON'T just stop taking it, that can cause seizures.

You'll need to find a new mood stabilizer. Go with your doctor's suggestion or message me and I can tell you a great place for info. Hope it works out for you.
been on 50mg am 50mg pm this is second week for weight loss. only tingaling on fingers, nothing first week was going to give uo but thanks to  txredhead07 i kept goin in 2 days 2 kiolo all relevent very happy
  I   am  on my third  try  of topomax (topamax) for migraines  I have lost weight  every time Ipu  dont  understand your  statement if you  lost   weight first  time you  wont the second ... I  am  a nurse for a neuro  thats just not   true,
I am soooo happy that you didn't give up!!  I thought the exact same thing at first. But, I had someone to tell me the same thing I was saying..just hang in there and it will pay off!   Keep it up!  Hope the pain is gone and the weight keeps going!  Best of luck!
Please read what I said. I clearly stated, "If you were lucky enough to get the weight loss side effect the first time around it is much less likely that you will get it the second time around", NOT "if you  lost   weight first  time you  wont the second".

Just curious but why are you trying the same drug for a third time for the same illness?
weighed this morning and another yes another 2 kilo woot woot thanks for your support hope your doing ok xx
It doesn't bother you that the medication that you're taking for the side effect of weight loss also has the side effects of cognitive impairment (fun things like aphasia and dysnomia), hair loss, hallucinations, suicide attempts, anorexia, kidney stones and certain forms of glaucoma? That it can cause seizures? That it can cause Steven-Johnson syndrome - a rash that can be fatal if not taken care of properly. And doesn't it worry you that there have not been any long term studies about how this will all work out for people with normal brains to be taking a medication that messes with the way their temporal lobes work? It sure worries me.  And what about others that use Topamax as an off-label medication with time-proven results. If this whole weight loss thing goes bad then the FDA may take another look at Topamax and decide to not let it be used for things like bipolar illness which would leave folks like me missing a good medication that we've been taking for years. There is a bigger picture that whether person A can lose that extra 10 pounds and it involves hundreds of thousands of people all over the world.

If you're taking it for migraine pain or seizures or a mood stabilizer and then getting the additional benefit of weight loss then you're using the medication correctly, you just happen to be getting one of the not-so-bad side effects.

So txredhead07, I shouldn't be so hard on ya. But, I also think that to be fair you should be mentioning how you stopped drinking sodas (you lost weight from that), changed your diet (lost weight from that), and now exercise more (lost weight from that). You make it sound like you're taking a magic pill when in fact according to your posts you've done quite a bit of the work yourself. Don't be so quick to pass the buck for your own success.
I was on topamax a few years ago and lost about 20lbs.  It did not get rid of my headaches completely and I was taking 4th year university courses plus working full time so I decided to try a different medication because my head wasn't clear enough to study and retain the info.
I am now considering going back on it.  I had a brain shunt installed about 5 months ago to help with the migraines caused by hydracephalous.  I have gone off all the other medications I was taking except for the painkillers.  I need to go back on something so I can reduce the painkillers.  
I have gained about 30 lobs since the surgery so I am thinking I would like to try the Topamax again.  I am off of school till September so hopefully I can take topamax for the next 6 months, lose what I need to lose and have some pain stabilization and then reasess the situation when it is time to go back to school.  I really would like to finish my degree but really I want to lose weight even more.  
I used to weigh almost 300 lbs and dieted and exercised to get down to a healthy weight about half the size of the original me.  I swore I would never be overwieght again and it is killing me to be like this.
Does this sound reasonable?  I am seeing my doctor on Friday and I am sure he will go with whatever I request.
I don't think that I am passing the buck for my own success at all.  I know that I am working towards the weight loss as well as having the medicine working for the migraines.  The side effect of weight loss is a blessing for me.  I did not start taking the medicine for weight loss.  I started taking it for migraines.  I started taking it because my doctor with a degree (multiple degrees I might add) decided to prescribe it to me.  So far, I am lucky with the results.  I am only reporting the results I am having.  I am only stating what is happening to me and giving advice as to how best approach the doctor with information that my doctor has asked me to report back with.  

Again, I don't think you are trying to "attack" me per se...but it sure feels like that I am a large focus since I am posting more than most lately.  I am not dealing most of the side effects you mentioned, but if I have or do, I am posting about them...freely and openly.  I WANT everyone to know.  I do know that the FDA has recently approved QNEXA which has topamax and phentermine in it, which I am not interested in taking because I am in it for the migraine pain relief.  Like I said before, the pain management is what I am all about.  I would be a bald, 400 lb mood swinging beeeeyyotch as long as I didn't have the pain.  

So, if and when my doctor decides that this is not a viable option for any longer or the risk out weigh the benefits, then I will gladly quit taking this medicine.  Until then, I will continue taking the MIRACLE pill and post how it affects me and wish the best for everyone, including you, on this forum.  God Bless and good luck to ALL of us!
So glad to hear it!  Keep up the good report!  I am kind of stuck at 22 lbs down right now, but have been a little under the weather for the last few days.  No Zumba classes for this week, lol.  But, good news is....no migraines for the last fews days either, so I will take it!  Keep posting.  Love seeing the good news!
I am not meaning to attack you and I apologize if I have come off as that way.

I am also aware of Qnexa. Was discussing it a few days ago with some friends at a forum where we discuss medication. I don't know if you knew this but when it came before the FDA back around 2010-2011 it was denied because there were concerns about the safety about each med, especially the Topamax. The Topamax because it caused cognitive and psychiatric problems. Even though I'll shut up about all this after Qnexa is finally legal, after the release of Qnexa I will continue to worry about all the people out there that are taking a mind-altering medication to lose some weight.

I just don't see how hoping to get the one good side effect is more important than praying that you don't get any of the bad ones.
This is my second week on Topirimate 50mg, so far migraines seem to be slightly lessening, and I am actually hoping for the benefit of weight loss...how long before symptoms started to lesson and you started to see weight loss...thanks!
hey girl sorry your down, just to light on the subject me neurologist put me on this med for migrains and weight loss and bipolor as i was on lithium that caused weight gain, i was on 1200 mg now 100 mg and really struggling. hope you fell better soon i am on facebook and skype if you want to talk privately xx
I am so happy to read all of your posts about topamx. and how you have overcome your migraines and how you have also embraced that lovely little side effect that comes with it!! That is AWESOME NEWS!! I just got diagnosed with psuedo tumor cerebri again after it being 6 years in remission and was in excruciating pain after my LP they figured it was a spinal headache that didnt seal. I honestly think they had no idea what was wrong with me. All i know is that i had a 24/7 headache with severe pressure i thought i was going to die for 42 days straight. Then the docs gave me this tiny little pill cause i am very afraid of taking narcotic pain relievers because i have major drug addiction in my family and i have seen what it does i refused to take them. so they give me this topamax i had never heard of it but they assured me it wasnt a narcotic. and low and behold it took away the severe migraine. this is a miracle drug! Now i still have major pressure. and some pain. but NOTHING like it was! and a lil bit of weight loss. But i totally agree i would take being bald and weighing 500 pounds if i had to take just another day of being in the pain i was in. so my advice is just keep posting all of your great progress. cause people like me want to read it. :)
Hello All...thanks to everyone who has posted to me lately.  I have been under the weather with what I thought was a cold, turned out to be a little flu, lol.  But, I am feeling better now.  I am still basically pain free.  I felt like complete poo while running fever and sneezing and stuff, but still did not have a migraine thank God!  No more weight loss to report, but no pain either.

I just wanted to make sure to tell all of you that I am glad that you are all posting your progress.  I love reading that even though there are concerns about side effects that with the information out there and with us talking to our doctors about all of it, we are making progress and still trying to make our lives better. So, back on track for me and I will continue to post my trials and tribulations.  Good luck to all of us!  
My Doctor gives me Topamax (Toprimate via pharmacy) for my eating disorder.
It helps me stop binge eating like a zombie that cannot think, but I have to take at least 150-200 mg a day or I have times when upset I binge. At that level I never even think of binging.

I have no choice what the pharmacy gives me. Is there a difference between the generic and original??
Am I missing something for weight loss?
Because they OWE ME for the Seroquel and everything else. Now I TELL THEM what I will take and NOT take.

If it says weight gain, or appetite increase, I refuse to try it.

I have a prescription for up to 600 mg of Topamax a day for weight Loss.

Is the original better than the generic??
im on topo for weight loss and migrane (migraine) but on 50mg am and 50 mg pm lost nothing first week the second week lost total of 5 kg then 2 days gained 2 kg so pi^^ed off righted now
I have been on Topamax for close to a year now. I take 100mg twice a day. I am prescribed it for my migraines and non-epileptic seizures. I have have the added benefit of some weight loss...losing 35 lbs with diet and exercise in the mix. But my main concern has been my hair loss, and many other side effects. I lose hand fulls of hair every time I shower. I use to have long very thick curly hair. Now my hair barley curls, and my hair is half of the thickness it was. At this rate of hair loss I will be bald in 6 months.  I also have moments of extreme confusion and short term memory loss. The meds also keep me from sleeping so I have been been prescribed Trazodone 100mg for that and anxiety. I'm not getting many answers from doctors on what causes the seizures or any other symptoms. I just wanted to share with others what I was going through.
Just starting week 4-  Finally up to 50 mg in am and 50 mg in pm for migraines. I am taking Topiramate and am pretty doing well on it. I have no bad side effects to report. The usual.. appetite down.. pop flat.. tingly feet.. memory loss (same from gabapentin that I was on last). I get a break-through headache occ so will see if that continues.  My dr said that the mgs that I am on now (100mg total  are the max for me.  Does anyone know how this is determined?  

I have touched on this before with some and have done some research but does anyone feel that they have less benefits with the generic form and/or worse side effects with the generic? I am a college student so definitely dont want to even attempt to afford the Topamax.  I guess my concern is that I DONT want any start of migraines with this and what if my dr wont increase the mgs (to maybe help?). ALSO- I DO want to lose a few lbs as I had gained with the gabapentin I was previously on for migraines.

Another question. I saw an online store you can buy Topiramate from and is cheap. I get my prescription from a local store now and know Teva is manufacturer. With this online store- the manufacturer would not necessarily be Teva. Does this matter? Can I switch manufacturers when they are all still generic form?  I know that all generic forms of Topamax is given an AB rating-well atleast that is what I was told by my dr.

Thanks much!
I think you will still fluctuate a little..so dont' give up.  I am stuck right now myself.  Not to thrilled either, but the dr says it is normal.  She told me to give it another week or so and then we may adjust the medicine if needed.  I told her that I am not really looking for the weight loss side of it, but I would LIKE it.  Good thing is the break through head aches are not bad like they were before.  I can manage now with ibuprofen instead of tramadol or Bupap. So that's a plus for me.  

You have to look also at where you start and how much you have to lose.  I am not sure if I have ever stated on here what I started at and where I am now....I started at 241 and am at 220 right now.  I am 5'9" and medium build.  My "ideal" weight is supposed to be 150-155 lbs..but I would just be happy at 170..heck, I would be happy at 200 right now, lol.

Again..keep going and don't give up.  It will happen...slow and steady (*****, I know...I am impatient too, lol)
The company that makes Topamax has decided that 100mg is the maximum dosage needed for migraines. They get that number from doing human studies. Generally it means that they didn't find that anyone had any significant improvements at dosages over 100mg for migraines. However, I do know of several people that are taking higher doses for migraines.

The FDA does not require that the bioavailability of medication be exactly the same from brand to generic or from generic to generic. Now this discrepancy in active medication is extremely small, but it may very well effect you. Especially since we're talking about a medication that is altering your brain chemistry. Then again, you may be one of the people that doesn't notice any difference.

I take brand Topamax. When the generics first came out (in 2009 I believe) my insurance forced me to switch. Within two weeks after I had changed over to generic I was having terrible headaches and nausea. My doctor wrote me a new prescription saying that it must be filled as brand and after a bit I was just fine again.

I have heard that the Teva generic is good. I have heard mixed reviews about the Mylan generic and that the Apotex & Torrent generics are not very good. Of course, everything about these generics is purely anecdotal.
Well, I have my first bad news to report....I was bunmped up to taking 150 mgs a day ( 3 pills, one am, one noon, one pm)..I broke out in a rash in my scalp and torso only.  Not on my arms a legs, but head, neck and body only.  I called the Dr and she said to stop taking the medicine.  I about came unglued.  They say not to stop taking it but to taper off so I ask about that.  I was told not to worry about it and just stop.  Needless to say I am not thrilled with the idea of just stopping without seeing her.  So I now have an appointment with her in a little bit. I couldn't even wait til I got through at the appointment to post I was so frustrated  %^&*().  I have also called a friend of mine who works in the neuro field with a doctor (she is a nurse) and she suggested I keep this appointment and see what she say and then go from there.  Pray I don't lose my mind today.....
ok, I went to appointment and talked to the Dr and not the nurse....boy did I ever OVERREACT..lol.  The Dr did not want me to stop taking the meds all together, she wanted me to drop back to just the 50 mgs twice a day and see if that helped and we did blood work, which she ran immediately.  Turned out to be the drop in my thyroid medicine that made me break out, not my topiramate at all.  Sorry for freaking out and posting the negative nelly news...:).  That is normally not me, but I guess between the itching, lack of sleep and just plain raging hormones I am a bit nuts right now.  So, if I could erase the previous posting I would.  Since I cannot, just chalk this one up to me being a goofball!!
Hi Jillian! I was just reading thru all of these posts and saw yours. I have been on the generic Topomax (topamax) for a couple of years now but only 100mg a day and my migraines were not getting any better. My neurologist just told me in Dec. I really need to "up" my dosage. I did and my hair started coming out. (I was already having issues with short term memory loss,confusion ect). I too, I have always had very thick, full hair and it is sooo thin and I have been most distressed. I kept trying to figure out what was going on. I had a horrible migraine this past week,throwing up etc. As soon I started feeling better, I got on the internet and researched Topomax (topamax) and saw ALL of the side effects listed and I was mortified! I have been having most of them. Maybe, you're not suppose to, but I haven't taken a Topomax (topamax) since. And I am furious with my doctor for not telling me that any of this could occur. I am now using Nioxine for my hair. It comes in a kit. Other people have used it with great results. I am not an overly vain person but please! We call care what we look like and to lose my hair at 52! No way. I am also CHANGING DOCTORS. I have had issues with him already but I am really upset he told me nothing of what to expect and quite frankly, I still have horrible migraines on the Topomax (topamax). I am going to check in to possibly trying Botox injections since the FDA has now approved that for migraines. But I definitely want a doctor who will listen to what is going on with me and my migraines and be more forthcoming with information. Good luck to you!  Tammy
I found this thread on a google search.  I didn't have time to read through all the posts, but want to add that it can take 8 weeks for your body to adjust to the topamax and for you to stop experiencing side effects.

I'm only on 50mg for migraines from my chiari malformation and I was MORE sick than I've ever been in my life when I started topamax - but I stayed on it and 2-3 months later I felt better than I've ever felt.  It was worth all the sickness and side effects to get where I am.  I only lost like 5lbs on 50mg a day - I have been on it for 5 months.
welcome to the real world goofball lol how are you today????
I am much better today, thanks!  Feeling like my old self again.  Wow..I am nuts, huh?    I am just thrilled that it was not the Topamax (topiramate).  It is the only thing I have ever taken that has worked on my migraines!!
I have been on topomax (topamax)  100 mg they started me on that right away i have been taking it for a month and  have already lost 30 pounds! wow crazy rght??????? my doctor put me on this for my bipolar disorder i also take wellbutrin 150 mg sr i still have a lot more weight to lose but i will keep you posted..

thanks
carrie
I am bipolar and have been on Lamictal, among other things, for years. As a result of the meds I have gained a lot of weight which has been very difficult to take off. I read about Topamax and asked my doctor to make the switch. I was very wary of the side effects, especially the memory problems because I am a lawyer and need to be able to think on my feet. I've been on 25 mgs of Topamax for a week and the only side effect has been that I have lost 6 lbs! No tingling, no memory impairment. I AM DELIGHTED!
few questions...
1) how long do side effects of drowsiness last?
2) what is the therapeutic dose for weight loss?
3) how bad is the hair loss?
I'm currently taking 100mg daily for migraines. I have probably been on the 100mg dose for about 3wks and have only experience maybe 2lbs of weight loss. My migraines are very much still present but my menstrual cycle is gone. I have taken numerous pregnancy test both urine and blood and they have all been negative. I wish I could have the same results of weight loss that everyone else is experiencing. I have gained alot of weight as a result of antidepressant meds that was given to me for migraines that did not help. So it would be great to get this weight off. Any suggestions
I totally agree on what you just said.  I am on Topamax and am going off it after reading these posts.  I can't believe most of these "patients" are willing to  ignore all the other MAJOR side effects in order to lose weight the easy way.  I was on the medication years ago and just got 80 percent of my hair back...which is what I was on this site for.  I got to the "hairloss" comment and realized how powerful this drug is.  I also had a gall bladder removed and and aneurysm repaired...not saying it's related...but no one knows YET.  It's way too early.  If it helps you with your seizures/migraines then sure the medicine is a God sent...but for cosmetic reasons...CRAZY!
I have a question...my doc has suggested Topamax to me for my migraines, but I declined it because I don't like to take meds. I am now thinking about taking it again and was curious about the weight loss side effect. IF that is one of the side effects that I get, how long into taking the meds does it start?
The drowsiness is pretty bad...I had problems with "reaching for words", not good if you communicate for a living.    HAIRLOSS:  Was horrible!  I have to say my hair was beautiful and I was known for my thick wavy hair.  3/4 of my hair fell out.  My doctor NEVER told me about this side effect and by the time I researched it online it was too late.  It continued to fall out after I stopped taking Topamax, as you all know you cannot stop cold turkey!  I wore hats, wigs for 2 years and now my thick wavy hair came in fine and thin.  It NEVER recovered.  So all you people who want to be THIN think about having THIN hair with it along with other internal problems that may arise later.  I'm not saying go off it if you are taking it for your migraines or seizures...but if you are just losing weight with it...that's just crazy!!  Also my migraines were a symptom of a severe sinus infection that no doctor discovered....so just in case any of you out there never had a doctor check you for this, you may want to ask him.  Good luck everyone!                                                                                                                              
When is the last time you had a thyroid work up? Not just the regular TSH but the free T/4 and Free T/3? As for the TSH if it is within normal limits, who is to say that it is optimal? IJS
Ok, sorry it has been a while since I posted, but I wanted to wait til I went to the Dr to see what the lab and results were. Results = FANASTIC!!! No more migraines with only a few breakthrough headaches that are managable with tramadol and ibuprofen, 26 lbs total lost since 01/13/2012, she has now upped the daily dose to 200 mgs a day (100 am and 100 pm). I am perfect on cholesterol, blood sugars and everything else.  She took me off the BP meds last months and I am happy to report that she has cut my thyroid meds down again since my T4 test came back showing it was still a little high (even though I dont have a thyroid anymore??)  Overall, I am happy with the results.  I am eating meat with no problems now, so that stage has passed.  Still no cokes though, :)  I go back in  month for a check up to see how the 200 mgs are working.  I am now taking the nioxin for the hair issues. I am noticing a little in the drain. Probably was there before from the thyroid issue, but I am looking for it now, lol. Just want to combat it upfront instead of trying to fix it later.  Hope this helps someone who is going through the same thing I am or is thinking of starting the meds for migraines. Like I have said in prior post, I would be a bald headed 400 lbs moody beyooootch as long as I didn't have the migraines...but since it works, I will take it!!  Best of luck to us all!  
No Toprimate is just the generic name for Topamax
Does the weight loss come from loss of hunger or just because of the way the medication works on the body?
Topiramate and Topamax are the same.  Topiramate is the generic version.
Topiramate and Topamax are the same.  Topiramate is the generic version. It is great for Migraines. It took care of mine.
I recently started taking Topamax again because my migraines got to the point where I couldn't live a normal life. I don't like not being able to "find my words" at times but at least I'm not missing work. I am losing weight, but I was doing weight watchers prior to restarting the medicine. I also attribute some of this to drinking more water and not drinking diet coke any more (because it doesn't taste the same...thanks to the Topamax).
I can tell you I started Tompamax a little over a week ago and YES your diet soda will taste different. I am only taking 25 mg until next Thursday then I go to 50mg a day. By my third day my favorite and beloved diet coke had become one of my worse enemies. It taste so nasty just the thought of drinking it makes my stomach turn. I have now switched over to diet green tea. Def taste better and well better for you.
I just happen to come across this page and been reading all this. I have alot of medical going on. I have not yet commented anywhere. When I read your comment I had to reply. I have been on topomax (topamax) for little over a year. I have went from 25 mg to now 200 mg in the am and 200 mg in the pm. I have weighted the same for now 2 yrs. NO WEIGHT LOSS! Would you care to explain that. My dr's have tried extensively to help me, even as far as sending me to the Michigan Head and Neuro Clinic. I am sorry but some ppl may NOT loss weight at all. Don't be so mean.
Very well put girl 88. I use the med for seizures and extremely bad migraines. It is not a " magic pill"  by no means. I do NOT loss weight. I am in the bed alot. I have a disorder called sleeping beauty syndrome which renders me to sleep alot. I do not eat regularly of course for I sleep alot. You wold think I would be tiny but no. I am on 200 mg twice a day but i guess cause my lack of exercise I have a hard time of losing weight. You do have to work at losing wieght no matter what  you do or else it will come back or you wont lose weight . So I have found in my situation at least.
I just started the 100mg 2 weeks ago my eyes are extremely sensitive and I m really short tempered and mean, now yesterday I felt like I had bugs crawling on me,and this morning I came flying out of my bed cuz I swear there was a snake in there my husband says I'm crazy. I also take this along with Wellbutrin but I've takin that for a while now, it has takin cre of my migraines however has anyone else experienced hallucinations. Now if I wean off am I gonna gain a bunch of weight now since I haven't been on it very long maybe a month and a half a together
What was your starting weight before you lost 48 pounds?
Ok, let me see if I'm following you here. You were on the Topamax for about a month then the dosage was raised to 100 mg 2 weeks ago and now you're having problems. Your problems are that you're feeling like bugs are crawling on you and that either it felt like there was a snake in your bed OR that you think you saw a snake in your bed.

IMHO - and I'm not a professional of any sort, just answer and read about this stuff every day - I'd guess that your body just doesn't like this new dosage. What you're experiencing sound like unwanted psychiatric side effects. The bugs on the skin and possible hallucinations are things that Topamax can cause. Topa causes hallucinations in at least 1/100 of the people that take it according to the manufacturers information. You need to call your doctor and tell him/her what is going on and you will most likely need to lower your dosage back down to what it was or possibly stop taking the Topamax. While waking up to a snake in your bed is pretty darn scary, if it isn't taken care of, odds are that it will get worse.

About the weight, I don't know. It would depend on how you lost the weight to begin with. If you lost it because the Topamax made your food taste bad and then start eating more when your food starts tasting good again then yes, you'll gain the weight back. If you lost the weight because Topamax makes your body burn calories more efficiently... I can't be sure. I do think that it would be hard to maintain that weight loss since you would have to adjust your diet again to compensate.
I have been on Topamax for migrains for four years, 100 mg at bedtime.  I started at 25mg and slowly increased to a total of 100mg at bedtime.  I have also had the the tingling fingers and lips.  This is worse in the winter when the weather is is cold.  I noticed immediately the problem with my taste buds and any carbonated beveridge.  I also noticed my mouth was always dry which has led to  a few of dental problems that I now have had to get a prescription flouride for my teeth.  My dentist told me since my mouth was a little dry I had developed a few cavities that probably would not have happened if I had more saliva.  I wish I had your comcerns on weight loss.  I find it hard to keep the weight on.  But I have not had a migraine since starting the medication.  Being in the medical field I will not get generic brands.  
The tingling can often be minimized by eating bananas and/or drinking a good sports drink like  gatorade. I have absolutely no proof but my theory is that it's got something to do with the potassium as I've seen the bananas and/or gatorade help lots of folks. So sorry that the dry mouth has caused you dental problems. I recently lost a tooth to Topamax so I can really sympathize.

About the weight loss. When it works, it really does work. The people that I know that have issues keeping weight on drink lots of smoothies with whole milk to add calories into their diets. I know some that make milkshakes with ice cream daily to help.

As long as it is keeping your migraines at bay and you can live with the side effects then keep on keeping on. And good on ya for not going generic.
I am again starting topo for bi-polar but I am so afraid of the side effects. I was on it before and it helped me soo much and I did lose a lot of weight but just getting back on I am soo scared because of the memory loss? It was so hard for me to find  the words I was trying to say. I truly need to get back on and I know eventually the side effects will go away but when????
Was put on Topamax for headaches then I hear it makes the birth control i'm taking less effective..
All the other headache meds make you gain weight..
Any ideas???
I have suffered from three kinds of headaches...so I have something every day.  I just came from the doctor and he put me on topamax...When I got on the scale It wasn't pretty so I was so fearful that weight gain was one of the side effects.  I am happy to learn that some of you lost weight.  I will begin with one 50mg tonight and continue for a week.  After that, I am to take two a day...wonder why the weight loss, not complaining, just wanted to hear from some of you who have lost weight..Thanks

Karen
I am very afraid of this medication. I just started but still I am considering quitting it. Side effects already are scary, and even scarier are ones that future might bring for people who use Topamax currently.
Keeping a healthy life style to minimalize health issues (or control weight) require lots of discipline, effort and attention but might be priceless. There are already older people with amnesia and other mental problems. Our generation avoids having children. Who will take care of you when you ask to be next?
I was on Topamax 50 mg at night.  This is a low dose.  I woke up 4 weeks ago Sunday and was totally blind in both eyes.  The Topamax caused an acute Glaucoma in my eyes.  Thanks to a great doctor he was able to save both eyes and after medication and surgery I have 75% of my vision back. If you can imagine what it is like to go for over a week not being able to see anything but blurry contrasts and wondering if that is as good as it is going to get, then you can understand the nightmare I went through.  I did loose weight though, because I could not go out to fast food places and I couldn't raid the refrigerator because I was unable to see what was in there.  We had a cheese cake in there for over a week and I didn't even know it was there!  Don't take the risk!   Cut out soda pop instead it will help just as much.
I just got put on topomax (topamax) 100mg for a week and 2 pills a day i also take reperdal 1mg and wellbutrin 150mg. Since i been on topomax (topamax) my migrains have been gone. But been dizzy does it ever stop???If so about how long. It like everything is floating.
I went through periods of both. I was about 115 pounds when I started the meds a year ago, and I went through a period of complete appetite loss and lost alot of weight on this medication when I was taking 50mg 2x a day. I dropped to about 100 pounds or so, which was scary. Then something happened to me and I just started eating and eating. I am usually very healthy, but it's constant eating. I can eat very large amounts. I now weigh about 105 and I can't gain weight for the life of me. Another side effect for me is that if I have ONE drink, I am a complete idiot and I am incapable of having normal conversation. I forget what I'm saying mid-conversation. SO embarrassing. Bizarre drug.
The memory loss and word-finding issues may improve slightly over time but may not. For me they did not until another medication was added.

If you are using the Topamax as a psych medication you might be best served by checking out the medication pages and forum at crazymeds.us It's not a support-ish forum but one that's solely focused on medication and it's side effects. There you can be provided with way more info that I can post here. I can be found there under the same username.
So so sorry that happened to you! I'll keep you in my thoughts.

For those that don't know it's generally secondary angle closure glaucoma that Topamax causes.
I am not quite sure I understand your dosage of Topamax. Are you taking 100 or 200mg a day? You may want to come over to crazymeds.us to the forum to post where you can get more specialized help than what I can give on this messageboard. If you do decide to come over I'll be there with the same username, girrl88

If you started off at 200mg a day then you might have a floating or dizzy feeling. That's a high dosage to be starting at. I'm not sure how long that would last though. Problem is that this really isn't the right place for this conversation as this message board is about weight loss.

Think about coming by the crazymeds.us forum where you can get some info about your psych meds.  
Topamax is a drug that is altering the way that your temporal lobe functions. From what researchers know and speculate the temporal lobe regulates visual information, hearing, making sense of things that are heard and your language functions. (and the list goes on)

Just by taking it you are altering the way your brain is functioning. This medication is strong enough in the way that it changes the function of the brain that it can stop seizures.

If you check the insert that comes with your Topamax it should say "no drinking alcohol" while you're on the Topamax because some bad things can happen. The alcohol and Topa can become a heavy central nervous system depressant, suppress your breathing and kill you OR the alcohol and Topa can mix and give you a seizure OR you might get too drunk off of very little alcohol since your brain is already altered OR you might just have a drink and be fine. There's no way to tell. It's like the kid that finally gives in to months of peer pressure to try speed and then finally does and his heart explodes. No. Way. To. Tell.  

Some will say that one drink is fine. It might be, it might not.
it is the same
I have been on topamax well over a month with my dose just increased to 125mg a day and I have not experienced any weight loss at all. I still have terrible migraines and have been put on prednisone in hopes to break the cycles of the migraine. I also take antidepressant meds which are suppose to help to control the migraine and they don't. I also take pain meds and injections to help to control the pain, which sometimes does not even touch the migraine. This usually results to a trip to the ER. I 'm hoping for a lil relief real soon.
Is the weight loss side effect due to a loss of appetite or to something that affects your body metabolism?
I have been reading all these posts re: topamax.  I am so sick of these migraines.  I can't stand the pain any more!!  Nothing has helped me. I have fibromyalgia, chronic pain & chronic migraines. I was wondering about the glaucoma issue.  I had narrow angle glaucoma & had to have laser burn hole in each eye. Don't know how I ended up w/this!  It was crazy but I did have migraine relief.  Now, they are back to the point I can't even touch my hair...I have a cateract in my right eye that needs to come out...My neuro did prescribe Topamax but didn't take it cause of the cognitive issues. But I'm willing to do anything now..I'm thinking of Botox also...any thoughts would make my unhappy days alot happier...
Weigh loss accures when person/animal eat less. There are no other factors.
What medication did you add? Or what class is it in?
Just a note since I have not been on in a while.  Started on Topiramate (generic) in mid January for severe migraines. No more migraines, thank you God!!!  But, on the weight loss side....started out at 241, weighed at the Dr today and I am now at 208.  Again, I stopped drinking cokes and since I am free of the migraines I am able to actually get out and enjoy life again - I have time to get up and move.  Nothing serious..I do Zumba once a week or so now..(less than I am supposed to, lol). I am eating meat now, that had been an issue early on because it tasted HORRIBLE for those of you who had read my post. :)  Basically, I wanted to let you know that I am making progress and still having no migraines, losing weight and not having the foggy feeling.  I am at 200 mg a day.  100 in the am and 100 in the pm. no major hair loss, but I am using the nioxin shampoo as a preventative in case because of the post on here that I read when I started. Loving life!!  Wish everyone luck and God bless!
If your migraines are that severe I'd go ahead and give the Topamax a shot.

The memory loss issue is something that will vary from person to person and is generally not as much of an issue at lower dosages. If the cognitive effects prove to be too much then you can always stop taking the medication.

Double check with your neuro about the glaucoma. I don't know if there's an issue with you having had glaucoma previously so better to be sure and safe than sorry.

Hopefully you can find some relief.
Not quite sure what med you are asking about.
I am on my 2nd week and just added my morning dose of 25 mg of tompax. I'm a little freaked out about the side effects I keep hearing about. I know 2 people who took it for headache & were not successful with it. Im just wondering how long do the side effects last. I know there is know there is no spacific time table but just a ball park. Today I have major things going on in my life VERY HAPPY EXCITING things in my life. I have all the motivation in the world but ZERO energy to get out of bed. I have the lousy lingering headache & I feel slightly sick. Does this sound familiar to anyone? =( However I also hear wonderful things so I want to give it a shot so if anyone can give me some words of wisdom I would appreciate it. Tx
I was on Topamax for approx. 2 years and just stopped taking it 2 months ago because my Dr. informed me it can cause birth defects if you are taking the medication while pregnant. I am not pregnant, but didn't want something in my system that could potentially harm my child down the road. After stopping the medication, I am noticing that I am gaining weight, rapidly. This is concerning me since my eating habits haven't changed and I am exercising. I can't seem to get the weight to stop. So far, I have gained almost 7 lbs. in the last month. For me, at only 4'11", this is an enormous about of weight to gain. I don't know what to do. I have never gained weight like this. HELP!
I to had hair loss but only for a short time ive been on topamax for a year at 150mg a day i experience numb hands everyday headachs dry mouth i drink ungodly amounts of water and for like 2 months i couldnt taste anything i also have joint and muscle pain on accasion but my side effects never stay the same either they are always changing and i also have lost 40 pounds while on topamax i just wish i was told what to expect when i decided i was ready to go iff the drug if any one has any questions or wants to contact me you can do so at ***@****
I have been taking topamax 17 months I have seizures. My dosage is 300 mg a day now the side affects I have are weight loss my hair is thinning forgetfullness. Just about all the side affects you can have I do, but my seizures are under control and for that I am grateful.
I have taken it before and lost 30 pound. My hair never did fall out. Kinda wish it thin out a little.  But any ways back on it again to lose weight and its just not the same its a lot harder my body is is like fighting.
no its a gen kind but i will tell everyone to be careful cuz when u stop this med u will gain weight
Don't be fooled by the weight loss claims! The only reason anyone loses weight from this awful drug is from drinking more water because it causes excessive thirst. Weight GAIN from it has been reported in some people.I now am covered in acne all over my arms from it and have just read about this happening to many others. I am 40 years old and have never had it before starting this drug a few years ago! It also causes kidney stones(I never had them before taking topamax),memory loss,brittle nails,mood swings,lack of coordination,predisposition for kidney disease from the kidney stones and so many other things. There is currently a class action lawsuit against it for good reason! If I wasn't on the generic version I'd join it without hesitation!!! If you don't believe me,PLEASE Google it so this doesn't happen to you! I wouldn't want anyone else to go through the hell this drug has put me through. I'm not even sure if it has really even prevented any migraines. That's why it was prescribed to me in the first place.
Thank you for that comment. I do have Seizures for 25+yr...
I dont like taking pills and some people take it to loss weight
sorry just dont understand..WHY?? topamax is Not a joke..
Good luck to all ...
HAS ANYONE HAD THESE AS A SIDE E.  I HAVE STRUGGLED WITH THE BOTH IN THE PAST BUT IT SEEMS IT GOTTEN WORSE  IN THE TIME I HAV EBEEN ON THE TOP. 25 AM 25 PM.... I AM REALLY THINKIN G  OF STOPPING IT...... I AM TRYING TO LOSOE 20LBS AND HAVE HAD A VERY HARD TIME... BUT FELING LIKE THIS IS AWFUL.. PLEASE ANY ADVICE???MARG
I just started taking topiramate 25mg 1/day last week. And I have been on zoloft 50mg 1/day for a month. Now today I just started taking folic acid 800mg 3/day for anemia. I take the topiramate and zoloft for migraines, but the doctor also said the topiramate will help with weight loss (which I need to lose about 30lbs). But I have not noticed any weight loss nor any loss of appetite, sometimes I feel like I can't get enough to eat and other times I feel when I eat my stomach is like a balloon that keeps inflating.
I've been on topiramate (topamax) for several years now for migraines.  I have lupus, fibro and sjogrens and develped the migraines after being diagnosed with the lupus.  Lupus was first then the fibro, then the sjogrens.  Topamax CAN help you lose weight but I think you have to do your part too.  It helps me by not making me feel so hungry most days.  I have been on 100 mg twice a day for quite some time (started lower and doc built me up to that dose)  was just at neuro yesterday and he increased my dose to 100 mg in morn and 200 mg at night because I've had an increase of my migraines unfortunatly.  Compared to where I was say 4 years ago with migraines I have had great improvement since being on Topamax.    My neuro watches my weight.  If I lose or gain, he asks me whats going on, if I am trying to lose, what has caused it, if I'm eating right, if I've gained he also asks me what's going on, as any good doc should I think.  I have many other meds I'm on due to my illnesses, haven't had problems with the topamax interacting with them.  The only problem I seem to have is eye twitching which I swear comes from the topamax, my eye doc thinks it may be eye strain and said get in for a regular eye check (was in for a vessel and nerve check due to hydrocloraquine)  neuro thinks my eye twitches due to stress when I just got done telling him I'm not stressed out, lol.  I think it's the topamax because it started when i started the med and gets worse within a few hourse after taking it, but it's a small price to pay if it's going to help with the horrible headaches:)
It definately makes your pop taste funny.  That was one of the first things I noticed when I started taking it.  
I have been on Topirimate for a little over two years now. (100 mg) I started at 25 and went to 100 within 5 weeks. I have been perscribed topirimate for bulimia and it's the only thing that helps me. I was bulimic for 10 years and the day i went on topirimate the bulimia went away. After one year I tried going off of it and the bulimia came back. Does anyone have experience with bulimia and this drug? Also I take vyvanse which is like aderall and sometimes when i screw up and forget my topirimate over a weekend or something and then begin taking it again I have a weird reaction that is hard to explain.  I feel like my mind is thinking WAY too fast. It's scary. And sounds are extremely precise. It only lasts for about 5 minutes. Anyway, after reading all of these posts I am a little worried about the cognitive affects.  Any thoughts?
Add some biotin to your vitamin regimen. I took Depakote for 4 years to deal with migraines and mood disorder and along with weight gain, I lost a LOT of hair. On the topamax, my hair doesn't fall out near as bad. I saw a dermatologist and she recommended that I take 5000 microunits and day - I bumped that up to 7500 and in addition to my hair not falling out, my nails are growing like wild fire. I know that it is scary, but I have been taking this for 3 years... it is by far a tame drug in comparison to others that are prescribed.
Not sure what (if there is) a therapeutic dose for weight loss with Topamax. I recently started on 100mg, working my way up weekly from 25 mg. I'm being treated for Bipolar II disorder and anxiety. So far I haven't lost any weight but I've noticed a major decrease in my appetite. A few bites and I'm full and I don't mean push my plate away full. I mean uncomfortable, I feel like my pants are going to split full. And I really enjoy food. I'm not overweight by any means but wouldn't mind shedding a few. So far I haven't had any side effects, but since hitting 100 mg, the side effects have been horrible. If this keeps up this drug is going bye bye and back to Lamictal it is. Good luck all.
i am interested in knowing more about your mitochondrial disorder as I have one too. as you know they are so rare. i too get migraines with bad aura and am on topmax.  would love to talk to you.
i have been on topamax since 5/8 25mg twice daily and have just now this past tuesday uped the does to 50mg twice daily.. i actually have lost a few lbs as it is but i was just wondering to you all who have been on this medicine for a long while and have had the weightloss side effect-- how long into starting taking the medicing did you really start notice the weightloss??
I know this is none of my business, but people stop taking topamax for many reasons, then go back on...pregnancy, financial hardship, insurance lapses, etc. And it's kinda none of YOUR business why one decides to make medical decisions, is it?
Well, scientifically speaking, one's metabolism is a huge factor. Some people consume huge quantities and burn more calories despite what they are eating. In fact, if you eat less, you often slow down your metabolism. It's not as simple as just "eat less, get skinny..."
I read this and had to reply its the medication. I woke up one morning and I saw roaches crawling on the top of my ceiling I just closed my eyes and prayed for them to go away. They of course where not there they are my biggest fear!!!! At the same time my dosage of 100 mg was not working any longer I an an epileptic and have cluster migraines. I just went up last week to 125 mg a day. That 75 in the morning and 75 at night. I called my doctor crying when the medication quit working and the horrid head aches took over again. I had not monitored my weigh loss. I do NOT get on scales accept when forced at the Docs office and even then I do not look. I just go by my old clothes I have kept over the years. I know I went from a size 12 to a size 10 and have more energy than ever I just did a 5k Saturday and then after went canoeing for 4 hours. I did all the paddling in the sun - I still wore my trusted sunglasses because of the light sensitivity but I was out with the family LIVING! I am trying to take the GRE and it is loaded with math I want to get my Masters. I look at it and I get so so confused. I just can't get that part of my Algebra brain to work. I just graduated two weeks ago with my Bachelors at age 39 and now I feel like "how did I do that" my husband is constantly making fun of me for not being able to put sentences together any more. I can't even pick a fight with hims and win. But the back to the Topamax it does level out for each individual. Depends on your tolerance and condition. I would love to be one of those people who lost 29 or 39 pounds. I have been on the medication sense March 2012. So 3 months for me and 2 pant sizes. I still have my days were I want to sit inside and not go out in the light. I am job hunting and fear that the migraines will come back and I will get fired due to the inability to go to work. I think any of us who suffer with this dreaded thing are all suffering from the anxiety of why me and when will it come back? I have been reading about diets and Gluetin being a non-friendly migraine component. Check out how it affects the head and body folks especially wheat bread. Sorry for writing a novel and I am sure I misspelled as I said you do forget with this medication but I was no PH.D to begin with. :-)
See cant add that is 150 wow told you the math part of my brain is gone ha ha
I was having the same type of migraines, with the numbness/tingling in my fingers and arms, which they are attributing to my migraines. The doctors have now put me on Topomax (topamax). I have lost weight which I am thinking is from the medicine. I have not had a migraine since I started taking.
i am also on Topamax for a mood stabalizer which is working out great. I have been on many medications for bipolar. None which have worked. My doctor knows what she is doing and Topamax is a treatment for bipolar.
But i have not seen any weight loss with the drug either. It may just depend on the dosage and the persons chemical makeup. ALthough it does give me plenty of energy and helps me sleep at night. Which i must say i was having issues with insomnia.
i take 400 mg Topamax for Epilepsy and i feel clouded in my brain i couldnt even do my role properly as a senior manager in my job and had to step down and resign to something that didnt require so much (brain power) will this side effect go away? has anyone else had this side effect?
The hair loss could be associated with the weight loss too. If you are losing the weight quickly, you will notice the hair loss. I think it coincides with the fact you are not getting the vitamins your body needs because you are not eating much. I lost 180 pounds after bypass surgery  8 yrs ago, and lost hair like crazy for the first 6 months or so. Never took topamax. Came to this forum because my 15  yr daughter was prescribed topamax. Hope this helps!
Hi, I found that your answer was very well explained and that you seem to know about Topamax. I am currently taking it and have been on it since January (5 months), taking 25mg in the am and 25mg at night. I have experienced loss in concentration and I forget words... I have also lost around 10 pounds. The doctor said that I will only take it for 6 moths but I am very scared to put back on the weight I had.. do you know if the reason that people loose weight is because of the loss of appetite of because of something else? .. any advice?
thanks,
I took Topamax for 4 years 50mg 2x a day morning and night. It was great for me. My headaches disappeared, except for the ocassional monthly one around my cycle. I did experience some loss for words and thoughts and the tingling which goes away. I too started school and was afraid of not performing well, so i stopped taking it. I had been off for 5 months and my headeaches came back and I have gained 20lbs. Needless to say I started back 2 days ago. I can live with the weight, but headaches 5 out 7 days a week makes it hard on a family, I would suggest getting on a good eating plan for life and excercising so if you go off of the med, the weight gain wont be as great. Im sure if i had done that my weight gain may not have been as great. Knowing that you will gain if you go off is half of the battle!

Best of luck
I appreciate your posts. this is my second day starting 25mg for migraines. I also take Wellbutrian for anxiety. I just got off the phone with the Pharama, tomorrow is Memorial Day I wanted to be sure of my limits. He said keep it at two, with food drink a lot of water. Oddly enough, I don't want beer. I have mixed feelings about that, I love beer.

Stopped drinking all alc. during the week about a month ago, vegitarian, I workout. I am having thyriod issues, (low T3) so I am only maintaining my weight instead of losing and getting fit. So frustrating. When my Dr. told me about Topomax (topamax) I thought, great I 'll try it. Along with watching my calories, and tracking my exercise.

So far..
I have energy. By 10:30 this morning my place was clean. I mean floor boards to ceiling clean.

Taking it in the day time didn't work night is better but I am stimulated and don't sleep well.

Less grumpy. Light sensitive. I have a dull ache behind my eyes a bit. I don't have the same 'attachment' to food. Don't seem to enjoy it the same either. Still love my coffee evn though it does taste off.

My thoughts, like my sentences are fragmented. The normal recall thing, tingles the first day..

Anyone else taking this and Wellbutrian?

Thanks all in advance. Health and Happiness to you all.
I still have questions and concerns for my doctor. Just talked to my pharmacy (again) he said I would be just fine to stop taking it now. He also suggested that I call my doctor for an appointment with a list of concerns and questions. I like Walgreens.

Thanks everyone for being open and sharing. Best of luck. I might be back. But maybe not.
I dont take it with wellbutrin but I take it with zoloft. I take the zoloft foranxiety/depression. I went super slow starting Topamax (12.5mg for 13 days) I am so afraid of side effects. I had none during that time. I then went up to 25 mg, and had not trouble other than insomnia (I was taking it at bedtime), I continued for 10 days at 25 and just went up to 37.5mg for the last week. I am now having side effects. I have strong pins and needles at random time in my feet or fingers or lips but it comes and goes within minutes. I have had strong burning feeling in my leg (like hot water being splashed on it) off and on for an hour the day after I started at the 37.5mg. Yesterday I had a strong burning feeling in the tip of my right toe as if someone were holding a lit match to it. That lasted for quite a while. Then it lessened after about an hour, and then within two hours, it was completely gone. I am also having a hard time with speech at random times. My words are coming out jumbled a at times. Not slurred, and not stuttering, but jumbled. I am glad I didn't go up to 50mg like the doctor had suggested and instead did the 37.5mg. Supposedly side effects tend to get better over time. I hope these dont stick around. We will see. I have had a nice improvement in the frequency of my migraines but have had zero weight loss. I do think my appetite has decreased though at this higher dose. So maybe the weight loss would be next.
topriamate is the generic name for topamax
I so hear you... What is it with all these people wanting to use this drug to lose weight... I look forward to that side effect if that happens, but these migraines I've had for years.... if Topamax starts working for me, it will change my life.... not even thinking about weight when you're in SO much pain you can't even function day to day... with little kids all day long to boot... Good luck with your headaches as well and hopefully this med works for you.......
you know i've been on topamx for 61/2 moths and ive already lost 40 pounds it really is great!
i have just started topomax (topamax) im on 25mg a day for mood stabilizer im **** scared of taking  new meds of any side affects. i have read all ur comments some good some bad and im just trying to weigh up if its worth me taking this medication i have severe anxiety and the thought of hallucinating or not being able to see makes me want to vomit up the tablet now. but on the other hand im very over weight and a binge eater and the weight loss would be amazing but not to sure if its worth risking hmmmm what to do
I have been on topamax 100mg for two weeks now, have lost only 3lbs and thats with dieting. How long before you start losing weight and at what dosage. I still have nagging headaches too.
I just started topamax also for non-epileptic seizures and general anxiety disorder.  My neurologist only prescribed me 10mg every 8 hrs for anxiety because I'm already on Lamictal for seizures (which is an awesome anti-seizure/mood stabilizer).  I can relate because my neurologist had little explanation for me as well-other than they could be stress related pseudo-seizures.  Just started today but I'm wondering if I should be taking a higher dose-but for now whatever my neurologist says is what I will do.
I lost 30lbs the first time I took Topiramate over a 7 month period. I stopped in Nov. '11. While I didn't have the weight gain others have reported which frankly seem impossible to me when they say they're hardly eating and doing lots of exercise (I'm up maybe 3lbs and I'm eating normally, maybe too much) I decided I wanted to lose more weight and started back this Jan and it didn't work at all. I even ended up doubling my dosage -- nothing. It worked so great for 7 months it's really disappointing that it didn't work anymore. Do you think it might work again some other time?
hi my name is ally and i was on topamax for 8 months. if you began to feel any side effects of depression you need to immediately switch medications. i thought i was going crazy for the amount i cried each day. i couldnt even get out of bed most days. i did experience the tingling in my hands in feet it is a very strange feeling. i was forced to stay on this medication for such a long time and i thought i was going to die i lost my life and sense of control people stopped caring because i seemed crazy. i could cry for three hours straight like i just started. i was a mess. the worst part is that it did get rid of my headaches almost immediately i had one everyday for years but once i started taking topamax they went away and i only got one a month but its not worth it.. .unless you want to kill yourself and feel hopeless and become so weak you spend sometimes days in bed... this is truly a medication from hell i have never felt so weak and so helpless. i lost a whole year of my life that i will never get back and never would want back. i would rather die than take this medication again. i had never suffered from depression until about two weeks into the medication. please dont take it it will change your life.the way your stomach feels is enough to drive you over the edge. you ache and it doesnt go away. i hope you havent experienced this as bad as most of us have.
i would also like to mention that i was growing out my hair and managed to grow it out the whole time i was on topamax but my hair was brittle and mostly dead. about a month ago i had to cut off almost 9 inches because it was too weak.
I started taking Topamax again at the beginning of April.  I had success with it in the past, but kinda just fell off the wagon.  I am doing really good with it currently.  I am taking 100mg just before bed every night.  I have lost over 40 pounds since the 1st of April.  No soda, lots of water, and hitting the treadmill has helped, but the Topamax has kept me out of the kitchen at night.  

Here is my question...  I have read they don't recommend eating a low carb diet such as Atkins while taking Topamax.  I have been on an major low carb diet since I starting taking the Topamax 9 weeks ago.  I was kinda shocked when I read that today.  Has anybody else heard that?
Hi there, I'm just starting my 2nd week of topiramate 25mg morn and night. I've lost 7lbs already. I'm taking this for the unbearable migraines and this is working completely!  While I had the tingling, my appetite is totally off and everything taste nasty. My Dr told me to drink lots of water and to take a really good multivitamin.  I am forcing myself to eat, which is really weird to me. This medicine and the fact that I have no migraine has made me REALLY active. I am constantly busy so not sure if anyone else is experiencing this.
Hello! My doctor just put me on Topamax today.... I am so afraid to take it because he put me on this med for weight loss only. I dnt have no problems accept needing to lose weight. I thought of surgical weight loss but he wants me to give Topamax first. Is this a good idea? This is my first visit wih this doctor.
Hi there, I would Definately do this first before trying any surgical procedure. For me it's really shut off my appetite, I don't think about food and then when I do eat it's just not as appealing as it was. I can't really explain it. I was concerned about the hair loss & blind issue but I am taking in calories just not anywhere what I was. Also I went to my eye Dr two days ago & he said if your going to have the side effect it will NOT BE GRADUAL. Its within the first week, & you will feel intense pressure in your eye. You can alway stop any medication if you don't like the side effect. No matter what you choose good luck and have a great day =)
The generic form did not work for me. It even caused unresolved tinitus. The "real" Topamax was a miracle drug in my case, despite all of the scary side-effects (I had some tingling, forgetfulness, lots of weight loss). In my case, it was worth it. I went from 20 life altering headaches a month to 4. With 3 young children and a full-time job - it was worth it.

Then the generic brand came out, my insurance refused to pay for the brand and I had to up my dosage from 50 mg to 200 mg a day, just to get any effectiveness. That's when the ear ringing began and it hasn't stopped, despite stopping the topiramate and trying other drugs. I have now begun Botox, which has helped somewhat. Good luck.
I'm going off the subject a bit here, but hopefully I can get some help.
My 15 year old daughter has been having seizures for 4 years now, EEGs show no epilepsy.  They are saying that these are non epileptic seizures - calling them psychogenic seizures.  My son was dianogised with epilepsy at 13 years so there is a family history.  His seizures are fully controlled with meds.
So my daughter is a normal healthy fit teenager.  She can't at present go to school because it seems that every second day she is having seizures in the morning at around the same time.  She has never been unconscious, but has full body shakes and they are very violent - she is currently on no meds, is going to counselling, had two reports by phycharists saying that she is NOT depressed does not have any mental health issues and is a normal teenager.  When she was prescribed epilim her seizures were controlled and she had no seizures.  But they took her off it because they said she didn't need meds as it's not epilepsy.  Then the seizures returned so they put her on topamax, again no seizures but then they took her off because they said she doesn't have epilepsy.  By now she is getting pretty frustrated and being thrown from one specialist to another as they all seem to wash their hands of her.  Her main doctor has said he is happy to prescribe topamax again and we are going to try this.  
My main question is this,  all the docs say that if these are non epileptic seizures then the seizure meds will not stop the seizures.  So why on earth do the seizures stop everytime she takes the meds??  
Has anyone else been prescribed topamax for seizure control or has anyone had similar problems.  All we want is for my daughter to be seizure free so she can return to school - but we are getting no where with the doctors.  Thanks, Jodie

PS - When she was on topamax last time she had no weight loss and was a bit disappointed, but more happy that the seizures stopped : )
Thanks for responding to me. I have experienced intense eye pressure. But i can handle it. Im guessing it will work for me. He is the doctor. I will keep things posted on here. Thanks again
I take 100mg of Topamax a day & I am on my 5th week. Im down 14 lbs. I take it for nerve damage in my foot due to a severe injury. I take a vitamin and drink lots of water as well.Food tastes like crap to me and eating for me is like pulling teeth from a lion. Its a huge task now. No hair loss at all. very little tingling in my arms and feet, however a small amount in my lips at first which has subsided. It even helps with my back pain a little and my migraines. I find myself more energetic. Love this medicine. No drowsiness or confusion like everyone is complaining about.
I have been on Topa for going on 8 years now. I started out with 25mg and slowly worked up to 100mg a day for severe migraines that I have had since I was a child. In these 8 years I have been able to reduce my dosage down to 50mg a day due to weight loss and side effects. I wanted to comment on your post due to the fact that during these 8 years I have had numerous side effects to Topa. When I first started taking this med, for the first 3 days I could not leave my bedroom-- I was like a zombie. I had severe weight loss. I did not get on a scale as I said this medication is for SEVERE migraines I went from a pant size 12 to a size 3 in 2 months since I could not eat. The smell, thought, sight, and taste of food made me sick to my stomach. My Dr. told me the Topa had my stomach working in overdrive as soon as I ate something my stomach thought it had to get rid of it. I had SEVERE stomach cramps that would double me over. I was listless, depressed, constantly in pain (muscle, bone, joint, stomach) but no migraines. After a while and with the addition of drinking a dietery supplement such as Ensure the pain stopped and I was able to start eating again. I am now back to a healthy weight. But since I have been on Topa for so long I can now cycle on and off during my "migraine" seasons such as Winter and Spring (rainy and cold weather). I still have some hair loss, not enough to be considered thinning or to worry about, I do have the problems of not being able to find the correct words for a sentence and am forgetful at times. But I have found that as with everything if you are determined and work at it this can be over come. By drinking Ensure or Boost helps with the appetite, taking B-Complex supplements helps with the stomach issues as well as the drowsiness and muscle/joint pain, and keeping active by doing activities you enjoy. Also you can still be on Topa and complete school or have a job that requires "brain power." I am 38 yrs old and have completed my Associates degree and am working on my Bachelor's Degree in Interpreting. I work with Deaf, Blind, low vision, and hard of hearing individuals so I have to think in 2 languages everyday. I also agree with you that the weight loss is due to the bad tastes and changes in diet atrributed to taking Topa. I also still have pain in my shoulders, arms, and hands from time to time but it's never constant. Taking vitamin supplements helps with a lot of these side effects.
I have read all the posts and I have gone from '...I'm getting off this sh**' to '...maybe I should give it a try'.  I have been on Topa for 1 day.  My doctor perscribed it solely for weight loss purposes.  Due to a change in bi-polar medication I have gained 50 lbs in about 3 months - with no end in sight.  The new bi-polor drugs are working so I sure don't want to change them.  But the weight gain is a lot to deal with.  I have just recovered from major hair loss due to extreme stress - the stress is now gone and the hair came back and it came back curly - go figure! But at least it came back.  The Meds I was on previously left me like a Zombie, highly anxious, and I slurred my words.  It wasn't pretty so I am reluctant to risk those side-effects with Topa.  I may be fat now but at least I'm alert and myself :)  But this weight gain :(  Not sure what to do.  So far the only side-effect I'm experiencing is a little indigestion.  I'm on the lowest dose; 25 MG twice daily.   I'm not sure what I expect from posting this - I already know how most of you feel about this - but I guess I'm just airing my concerns.  Thanks for listening.  Good luck everyone.
Yes my doc told me anything carbonated would taste flate and possibly metallic .
hi i have been on topmax since april of 2012 i am taking it for the unbearable migraines i have that make my life totally miserable i would like to know how long did it take for people to notice the side affect of weight lost i mean i am not taking it for that but i would not mine if it happened i eat pretty well i dont drink soda or eat junk
...the reason to avoid high fats and not to overdue protein intake is because the medicine diet combo greatly increases your risk for kidney stones...
You people are idiots, this medicine shouldn't be used for losing weight! I am so far underweight from this medicine it's insane, I went from a healthy 120 pounds to 102 pounds, and I use this for my chronic migraines, I can't even fit double 00 jeans anymore! If you want to lose weight, work out, and diet correctly, don't use a pill that has side effects like this one, wow, how crazy are you all?
I'm surprised I don't read more about people getting Depressed, Angry, and Moody. While on Topamax for 3 weeks (tapering up in dosage) it stopped my headaches and curbed my unhealthy food cravings (yay!)  but seriously turned my MOOD upside down. It actually got me in trouble at work - went from being Employee of the Month in April to my coworkers and boss remarking on my bad attitude. Am going to meet with Dr. next week to see what can be done.
Hi - I could relate to most of what you shared, especially the extreme weight gain.  I've gone from 135 to 192 lbs in just a couple of years & I just keep right on binge eating.  Consulted an eating disorders doc yesterday & he decided we should give Topamax a try, starting with 25mg a day for 4 days, then bumping up to 50mg daily until a 2-week check-up.  Just had my 2nd dose.  

I'm a Diet Coke addict & as of today, I can no longer stand the tast of my beloved beverage. It tastes completely flat & disgusting, which is a welcome change, as I know the stuff is poison.  My appetite is greatly reduced, however, I did still overeat simply out of habit.  Instead of feeling comfy in my loose PJ's tonite, I feel pretty miserable, like I don't think I'm going to want to overeat tomorrow.  We shall see.  

I decided to keep a dose-to-dose journal, describing my level of hunger (real & perceived), any physical symptoms, side effects, etc, so I can go over them with the doc July 5th.  

Like you, I've noticed there's a considerable amount of negativity directed at those of us who are taking Topamax due to eating disorders. All I can say is, I wouldn't wish an ED on my worst enemy.  If you haven't walked in these shoes, don't judge our desperation.  Also, we not ASKING for Topamax...trusted medical professionals are prescribing the therapy.  

Best of luck to everyone!
Your doc was right!
   I have seizures,.. and started taking this med topamax about 2 month  ITS NOT FOR EVERY ONE..., Did get off today (and u are Right ( girrl88)  Too many  side effects   cuz i almost took my Life few days ago.. SUICIDE ATTEMPS..Never Dont that before!
please be healthy work out
Aloha Gwendolyn:
Beautiful name I had a doll named Gwendolyn when I was a child. I too have seizures from having had spinal meningitis. I was on Seroquel for 8 yrs. following a month long coma from the seizures. I finally went off the Seroquel when my weight was 298 I freaked! I was SO FAT! I tried the Topomax (topamax). Had tried it before and got terrible kidney, and bladder infections.  And sure enough this time same thing.  Have had 2 and have one now.  I went off the topomax (topamax) the seizures came back. Had 5 in May so far 1 in June.  I got scared in May a took 2 topomax (topamax) and the bladder infection came back still have it. Painful too.
I am looking for something to take for the seizures but don't want to go back on Dilantin and Depacote and Phenobarb which all put you to sleep and you have to take them every 4 hrs. and have to actually wake up in the middle of the night to take the medicine.  What is this Lamictal? Does it have the TERRIBLE side effects that Topomax (topamax) has? My seizures are non epileptic so the neurologist here won't treat me. Crazy huh? It's awful the heath care here or lack of. I live on the Big Island of Hawai'i. I lost 40 pounds the length of time I could take the Topamax generic which was about 5 or 6 weeks.
You said: "
I'm already on Lamictal for seizures (which is an awesome anti-seizure/mood stabilizer)."
Thank you Antoinette
Boy are you LUCKY!!! Count your blessings The side effects are horrible! Made me have to stop taking the drug and just have the seizures!
I was put on topa for siezures and headaches.I've been on it for 6 months now. I was Happy to hear weightloss is a side effect. I started slow 25 mg fisrt week and increased slow and up to only 100 mg. My headaches 90 percent stopped and signs of siezures also stopped. I already had fuzzy brain BEFORE topa already had some of the side effects which RESOLVED from Topa. ALL MEDS have long list of SIDE EFFECTS.
I have lost 16 lbs.my appetite has not changed nor my taste buds. these were stuborn lbs which refused to drop over the years. I am happy. Nervous though that if weight loss continues Doc will want to change med ;(

I was put on Topamax for complicated migraines and seizures at the age of 16 after my neurologist pulled me off of Depakote. I was losing hair in chunks and I gained 25 lbs. Even though I have a pretty good body image, this did  not fly with me. My neurologist decided to try Topamax, and within a matter of  a few months, I dropped all the weight and more. I was in a large musical production at the time and wasn't really monitoring my weight, and didn't realize how thin I got until I looked at my winter formal pictures the day after the dance. I was shocked! I had also been noticing my slowed cognitive reactions, something that was very hard for me to deal with because I was dealing with the ACT and a large courseload. However, I had not  been having migraines or seizures so I decided that this was the lesser of 2 evils. I began monitoring my nutrition and gained a healthy amount of weight back, and about a year later we reduced my level of Topamax from 100 mg to 50 mg. In January of this year (I am now 18) I developed a large kidney stone so my doctor put me back on Depakote. Once again, I have gained weight and lost my hair. A few weeks ago, I began having horrible, horrible migraines again. I will be going off to college in August and decided that I can deal with the weight loss and the dopiness. I would rather be a little frustrated with struggling to find words than have seizures in my freshman year of college. I guess my point in this long entry is, Topamax is probably not worth taking JUST for weight loss, but medicines affect different people different ways. I haven't experienced hair loss on this med, but I'll have to take a citric acid solution (yuck) so I don't get another kidney stone. I'm glad my neurologist put me on Topamax, it works for me, it just may not work for everyone.
I have taken Seroquel on a regular basis (I now take it on occasion for sleep) and have also experience massive weight gain. I am currently on Lamictal for well controlled Bipolar Disorder (thanks to the Lamictal!). In rare cases, Lamictal can have a wicked rash that can lead to hospitalization. The chance is greater in adults taking Lamictal for epilepsy, but the chance is still pretty slim--about 3 per 1,000 vs the .8-1.3 per 1,000 chance for adults taking it for a mood disorder. It is IMPERATIVE that you see your doctor if you see any trace of a rash. Typically, if you don't see signs of a rash in the first six weeks of starting it or within upping your dosage, you're good to go, but don't quote me on that, I'm not a doctor, just an aspiring med student :) I do not have epilepsy but I do have occasional staring seizures and complicated migraines, so it just so happens that a lot of those medications that treat migraines/epilepsy also can treat mood disorder and the other way around--Depakote, topamax, lamictal, seroquel, abilify, lexapro, and luvox all have both of these properties--and I've been on them all :)  If you have any questions about any of these medications and their side effects, I'd be happy to answer them! Of course, I've been on a combination of a few of them at a time, but I'm quite aware of major side effects that several of them are known for
I have been on and off Topomax (topamax) for ten years. The first time I took it, I lost 25# without even realizing it. Someone asked if I'd lost weight and then I realized that my clothes were getting too big. I went on and off a few time over the years and never experienced the weight loss like I did the first time. I still lost a little weight, but nothing like the first time. I also gained weight when I went off it. The first thing I noticed was that my soda was FLAT. I notice that sometimes I lose my train of thought too. Foods are way spicier to me now, sometimes ketchup burns my tongue. Topomax (topamax) has helped me with my migraines, but I know what a lot of my triggers are (food related) and I try very hard to avoid those things which helps just as much if not more than the Topomax (topamax).
That happened to me! the soda tasted like syurp, sooo grose!!!! but other food had more flavor which is really nice not needing extra spices and seasonings and all. The only side effect I dont like so far is the fuzzy brain I will totally stop in the middle of a sentence and my husband will sit there for a couple minutes and ask  why I stoped talking in the middle of what I was saying kinda funny to me but boy does he hate it. I can't tell about the hair thing cause I loose alot of hair normally and its just now getting hot so I could be "shedding" too so im not sure about that. I'm taking the multivitamins with biotine and seleneum too just in case tho.
I quit it, problems with sight. After 4 weeks of topomax (topamax) I need to wear glasses :-(
Stop Diet Pepsi now.  The artificial sweeteners trigger migraines.  Yes, the topomax (topamax) causes changes in taste, smell, tingling which goes away in time.  Appetite decreases.  Energy increases.  Smile.  Ice Water is a good substitute for diet pepsi - also iced coffee without creme or milk.  Good luck. Stop diet pepsi now.
Are you taking topomax (topamax) or the generic? the generic does not promote weight loss. it does not contain the same fillers as the brand name.
I just started taking this medicine a little over a week ago.  Started out with 25mg and now taking 50mg, working my way up to 100mg.  No headaches but the hair loss thing is making me a little scared.  I need to lose a few lbs but not worth losing my hair over.  I'm feeling a little whackie... can't remember things, feeling like I've not had sleep when I've had plenty for me.  MRI came back good but have had Bells Palsy for over two years and still have some issues with my left eye.  Just wondering about the hair loss...
What is in the Topomax (topamax) that is not in the generic.  I take the generic because it only cost me $10.00.
Do you take the generic?
HI lamictal is the best for seizures u will see i have been on it for more 10yr,cuz very little side effect, Goodluck Buddy take care of urself if u dont no one will...
So tomorrow will be one week since I have been started on topamax(generic). Went to my doc for nausea/vomiting, heartburn waking me up at night. She tells me I have high blood pressure, most likely a peptic ulcer, and I need to lose 50+ pounds All brought on by multiple stressors currently  in my life. Needless to say she prescribed topamax. She has started me on 50mg at bedtime, and has said she will increase it after one month at that dose. I am curious why she would wait so long to increase the dose. It seems most of you increased the dose fairly quickly in weekly or bi-weekly increments. I plan to weigh myself at work tomorrow and will fill you all in when I get home since, I know you'll be sitting on the edge of your seats waiting...lol.
I also wanted to say, I haven't really had any side effects other than the soda thing. It has helped me sleep better than I have in months and months! My family and co-workers have said I seem to be more my old self again. So far all good news for me. Wish me luck on the scale tomorrow.......
Ive been on topamax for 9 months. The weight loss plagued out after a few months for me on 100 mgs. At first food didnt tast the same, nothing sounded or tasted good. Anything with carbination burned! My tongue and throat. Pop energy drinks beer... it was great since those are the things that actually pack on the pounds. In the last couple months tho ive found tho i still eat as much or desire to as frequently things dont burn as they did. I refuse to pick up soda tho. A red bull in dire situation has been done but only because i discoved the weight loss i was having was happing any longer... hope that helped. Ohhh btw... i have thick hair... aside from normal daily strands youll see come out in the shower or from regular dying of your hair I've not had any change in my hair. I dye my hair every six weeks and have for almost 20 years. I think it greatly varies by person to person by i would be consulting my doc of i was losing that much hair that rapidly regardless of the medicine i was on
Flat pop - - - oh, so sad.  This happened almost immediately!  How very upsetting as I do love my Diet Coke!  I have been taking Topamax for about a month and I thought I would try to see if maybe the effect wore off, but sadly it hadn't.  The same is true for beer.  I guess it is for the better though, right?  I am drinking more water and am enjoying Snapple!  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise!
i'm on Toppamax 50mg night and morning---thankfully it got rid of my migraines completely after years of unsuccessful drugs!  after a couple of weeks i began to lose weight as well, so i'm lucky in that respect. in the last three months i've lost over 20lbs--and no more headaches--yay!
Topamax/Toprimate for weight loss is just a plus. I take it for migraine management. I have not lost one pound. My friend on the other hand had to stop taking it because she was losing too much weight. I have been taking it for about  5 years. I take 250 mg a day. That is in the dosage range for seizures. I have many side effects but the benefit I have for my migraines outweigh the bad side effects. Another friend was taking it for migraines but had no feeling in her feet so stopped taking it. My side effects are severe short term memory loss, numbness on the tops of my feet, legs and arms going to sleep all the time, and rapid heart palpitations. If I didn't take it I would have 8 to 10 migraines a month. With it, I have maybe 1. It doesn't work for everyone for weight loss.
Another side effect I forgot to include, I cannot taste anything. I have to ask my husband all the time, "does this taste good"?
It kills your taste. Not sure what is next.
I take 250  mg a day. Not quite where you you are but getting there. The memory loss and the cloudiness of the brain for me seems to be getting worse. Sometimes I cannot think of a simple word when I am talking to someone. It makes me so mad. I look like I am an idiot. I feel for you. Which is the lesser of 2 evils is how I look at it. Constant pain or memory loss. I have had to explain to people, close friends and people at work. Hey look if I have a blank look on my face it is the medication jacking with my brain, help me out. You have no idea how many times it has happened to me mid sentence. BUT I don't want to go back to the way it was before. Until something else is invented I will just look like an idiot I guess.
So after two full weeks on 5o mg at bedtime I have lost 6 pounds. I have some mild side effects like the taste changes and such I mentioned before. I also have improved sleep and mood. I go back to see my doctor next week and I think she is going to increase the dose. Something I have noticed is it seems to "wear off" in the evening. Did anyone else notice this when they first started taking it?
I have the hair loss as well, and I'm working with a chiropractor now to reduce the need for topamax at all. We lowered my topamax dosage by half a year ago & it stopped the hair loss, but even using Rogaine, it's not coming back. And my dermatologist is the one who told me about the side effect, as my nerologist was surprised it could even happen! And to top it all off...I'm NOT losing ANY weight on it! I did lose 50 lbs last spring...by limiting my calories & exercising...A LOT! But when we got into buying & remodeling a house & my daughter got sick...it all came back, plus some, so it's not a weight loss drug for everyone. Esp as I didn't even start losing the weight until 16 months after I started taking it. I do hope for those that it's working for...that it keeps working! I just have to keep on working at it!
My bottle of Topamax states in very large black letters not to drink alcohol when taking this drug. So you might want to ask your doc or pharmacist. I work in a drug and alcohol treatment agency and see lots of bad interactions between prescribed meds and alcohol. Just be careful The warnings are there for a reason. Also know that if you use alcohol when it is contraindicated with this drug (or any other) 20 times with no adverse effects, that doesn't mean that you won't have a bad reaction or even death the next time you do it. Sorry to sound like a scare monger, but it is important that everyone knows to be careful.
Does anyone take Topomax (topamax) just once a day?

I am an Accountant and having a very difficult time focusing at work during the day.  I also have blurred vision.  I know I need to consult my Dr, but sometimes it is nice to know what people think who actually take the medicine compared to someone who hasnt.

I take 50 in the a.m. and 50 in the p.m.

I take one 200mg with one 37.5 phentermine each morning which is what the new Qnexa is ans I have lost 5lbs in 5 days and feel great and no headache .... Love it.....
Sometimes the dosage has to be increased to get the same effect.  I experienced the same problem you describe at 75mg.
I take mine at night only. Originally it was prescribed morning and night, but now only night. I take both pills before bed.
I recently started 100 mgs of Topamax July 4th and have now lost 13 lb. It was hard at first and I did have some memory loss some very simple words I couldnt even think of, But I feel now the fog has lifted. I have now   Nausea and fatigue for over a week  and hope its not the topamax. Ill hold out a bit longer and see. But it is nice to NOT come home from work and say "I have a headache" I bet my husband says the samething.
I was on 600 mg of Topamax a day and it did not make me lose weight I am on just 400 mg now
I'm right there with you, I talked to my Dr. about a year ago due to severe chronic migrains. She recommned Topomax (topamax) and we starting working our way up. I'm on 400mg FOR PAIN, but I have experienced the extreme side effects of this drug first hand. You may want to check out Drugs.com and read the side effects, it's scary even for me.  
First, let me apologize for responding to something so far back in this thread. Your comments (below) are in a post from February 28 this year. I have only discovered this discussion board today, and there is an awful lot to read here, but I was struck by some of the things you said.
If I may explain my own situation, I am Canadian, and I am currently 59 years old, and have been seriously overweight (although I prefer the word "fat") my entire life. I also suffered severe migraine headaches until I had two sub-arachnoid hemorrhages from burst aneurysms in early 2002, and subsequent brain surgery to clip them. Since then, I have seldom suffered even a mild headache, and never anything close to a migraine.
However, after the aneurysms, my weight began to creep steadily upward until, by the autumn of 2005, I weighed 400 pounds. My gp sent me to a psychiatrist to see if there was anything he could suggest that would help. I was also having problems with impulse control and anger management, which I thought was related to the brain surgery. Well, he listened to my story, and prescribed 75mg of Topamax daily. My understanding was that it was a mood stabilizer, and that was all I knew, so off I went. After two years, when I had lost a total of 75 pounds without dieting, exercising, or even being aware that anything was happening, I finally had to admit that all of my clothes were falling off me and I began to suspect that I had stomach cancer or something equally devastating. I consulted my gp and she told me it was the effect of the Topamax. Needless to say I was a bit miffed that the shrink hadn't mentioned exactly WHY he had prescribed it, but the effect was sufficiently stunning that I couldn't really be angry about it.
After five years on Topamax I had lost a total of 200 pounds, and I swear on my father's grave I did absolutely nothing to make that happen, other than taking three tiny, white, 25 mg pills every day. (I had also gone from a pack-and-a-half a day cigarette habit to maybe 4 or 5 cigarettes a day, and if I ran out, I could go a couple or three days before I started to feel as if I needed a hit of nicotine.) At that point, the weight loss stalled and I have stayed there, quite comfortably, for the last two years. I continue the 75 mg every day, and I believe that if I increase the dosage I will begin to lose weight again.
In your post, you said, "If you're taking it for migraine pain or seizures or a mood stabilizer and then getting the additional benefit of weight loss then you're using the medication correctly, you just happen to be getting one of the not-so-bad side effects."

Neither my psychiatrist, my gp, nor I, consider weight loss to be simply a "not-so-bad side effect" of taking Topamax. It is the only reason that I was prescribed this drug. Every doctor has the right to prescribe any drug for whatever condition a patient has, if she/he thinks it will be effective. In this case, Topamax was prescribed as a weight-loss drug. I'm sure you believe that the use you are making of it is the only way it should be used "correctly." Forgive me if I find that attitude inflexible.

You also say, to someone else: "So txredhead07, ...You make it sound like you're taking a magic pill when in fact according to your posts you've done quite a bit of the work yourself. Don't be so quick to pass the buck for your own success."
txredhead07 may indeed have done a lot of work with diet and exercise herself, but I didn't. For me, Topamax was, in fact, a "magic pill." It did ALL the work that was needed for me to lose 200 pounds. If I had struggled for that success, I'd be crowing about it, believe me, but I didn't. I didn't do anything. I suspect that's the sort of thing you don't want to hear, but it is nonetheless true, in my case.

And finally, I have to say that I have never seen in any of the literature a reference to Topamax being used primarily as a drug of choice for bipolar disease. Is that the "correct" usage that you fear will no longer be available if the FDA looks into it as a diet drug? You say, "There is a bigger picture than whether person A can lose that extra 10 pounds and it involves hundreds of thousands of people all over the world." I'd like to tell you that person A's 10 pounds aren't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to national obesity levels, and if the hundreds of thousands of people you are referring to are those who are suffering with bipolar, all I can say is that there are far, far fewer of them than there are those who are obese. Rates of morbid obesity are rising steadily as well, and as you might suspect, that's the kind of fat that kills you.
Statistics have proven over and over that fewer than 1% of those who lose a significant amount of weight through diet and exercise are able to maintain the weight loss for 1 year. It isn't because they lack motivation, or willpower. It is because there is something different about the chemistry of their brains. So far, the only drug that has been shown in double-blind studies to be successful in altering that chemistry to produce consistent weight loss is Topamax.

I realize that in the months since February this community may have already discussed this particular topic to death, so I will continue to read the remaining posts in this thread, and just hope that I have added at least some comment that sheds new light on some aspect of the discussion. :o)

Excuse me, but who are you calling "idiots?" Your doctor is the one who prescribed a known weight-loss medication to someone who only weighed 120 pounds to begin with. And you're the one who continued to take it, even after you began to lose weight.

Most of us here who are using Topamax or Topiramate to lose weight are probably a great deal overweight, and it would take years and years for us to get into size 6 jeans, never mind size 00. Believe me, we don't have anything to worry about. We are clearly not the ones who are idiots. Get it?
You said, "...some people take it to loss weight sorry just don't understand..WHY?? topamax is Not a joke..."

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Do you think that trying to lose weight is a joke? You can't understand WHY someone would take a drug that works in order to lose weight? Have you ever BEEN overweight? Have you ever struggled to lose weight? Do you have ANY IDEA what life as a fat person is like?

No,  I didn't think so...
You said: "Weigh loss accures when person/animal eat less. There are no other factors"

Really? What medical school did you go to? If I were you, I'd ask for my tuition money back. Oh, maybe you studied Biology, or Zoology? That could be the problem, see, you really should have done some research into neurochemistry and brain imaging techniques. That would have stopped you making statements that are as blatantly erroneous at the one above.

I have Been Taking 50mg of the Generic brand of Topamax twice a day once in the morning and again at night. I have lost about 10 lbs but I also started working out right around that time too. I notice though that I eat much more on the days I eat work out and I'm wondering If I should just Stop working out and just take the medication for the weight loss. That being said I love working out and I enjoy toning up and I know that just because the scale goes down does not mean my appearence will change much. But with me eating more and working out Im probably just going to be maintaing my weight instead of losing. Ahhh Can someone help me find a happy medium?!
Hi I just stopped into this site to see about my new medicine Topamax and your comment on the flat Pepsi got me inspired to post. My Coke tastes flat too! The medicine was making me sick and I was crying to my husband that I was sick and he was giving me flat Coke. Lol, now I know it wasn't him giving me flat Coke. My taste is so off! No food really has a taste or it tastes rotten. I smell a sickening hairspray smell and I have a hairspray on cottonball taste in my mouth basically all the time. At least now the nausea has lessened. I used Dramamine for nausea and it helped. No weight loss yet. Still having headaches and in fact the medicine was making "my brain burn" but that is lessening. I am on week 3. Started at 25mg with 25 mg increases each week.
you go girl!!!!!   tell it like it is.  I agree 100%
In response to my earlier post you said -
"Neither my psychiatrist, my gp, nor I, consider weight loss to be simply a "not-so-bad side effect" of taking Topamax." ~~  
Well, it's listed as a side effect. It can either be considered good or bad or in the middle. Since Topamax can cause weight increases, weight decreases and anorexia I'd consider the weight loss a not-so-bad side effect.

~~ "I'm sure you believe that the use you are making of it is the only way it should be used "correctly." Forgive me if I find that attitude inflexible. " ~~  
Okayyy, mind-read much? If you read my post you'll find nothing that even comes anywhere near implying that my usage of Topamax is the only correct one. My usage of Topamax was off label just as yours is. I clearly stated that in my post.

~~ "For me, Topamax was, in fact, a "magic pill." It did ALL the work that was needed for me to lose 200 pounds. If I had struggled for that success, I'd be crowing about it, believe me, but I didn't. I didn't do anything. I suspect that's the sort of thing you don't want to hear, but it is nonetheless true, in my case. " ~~
Ok, so you got the weight loss side effect. You're not the only one. That's why it's listed as side effect. Because it happens sometimes. I suspect that you're the kind of person that thinks they know what other people are thinking but is, in fact, wrong in their assumptions.

~~"And finally, I have to say that I have never seen in any of the literature a reference to Topamax being used primarily as a drug of choice for bipolar disease. Is that the "correct" usage that you fear will no longer be available if the FDA looks into it as a diet drug?"~~      
Actually the FDA IS looking into using Topamax in conjunction with another med for weightloss. I discussed this at some point in this thread. The first version of the new pill was rejected because of the side effects people were having. Too many people having mental and cognitive side effects because of the Topamax in it. It's called Qnexa. Also when Topamax was first tested as a possible weight loss medication so many people quit the drug trial due to the side effects that they stopped the testing. Of course nowadays lots of drug trials are done or managed by the pharmaceutical company that is trying to get the medication out on the market. Anyway...
   You didn't find it because nowhere in the literature does it say that Topamax is primarily used as a bipolar treatment. I never said that the primary or "correct" usage for Topamax is bipolar disorder. You saying that I did say that is just weird because people can scroll back up and see exactly what I said.

~~ "I'd like to tell you that person A's 10 pounds aren't even the tip of the iceberg when it comes to national obesity levels, and if the hundreds of thousands of people you are referring to are those who are suffering with bipolar, all I can say is that there are far, far fewer of them than there are those who are obese." ~~  
Okay, you are coming out of left field with this obesity issue. I understand that you feel very passionately about it but that's not what is or was being discussed. Now why in the world are you comparing bipolar and obesity? I don't understand why, but bipolar illness must be very important to you, otherwise you wouldn't have had to bring it up twice. (well actually three times, but who's counting) I find it interesting that you turned it into an obesity vs bipolar thing. Even more so since you were (or are) obese and I am bipolar. To an armchair psychologist it might even seem that you were turning this into a you vs me thing. But that would just be silly. It would be silly if you had read my post and twisted it into something it wasn't then posted unhappy responses to things that I never said...

Now, you said that you were given the Topamax by a psychiatrist and were told that it was a mood stabilizer. Then, years later, you discussed your weight loss concerns with your GP and learned about the weight loss side effect of the Topamax. You then go on to say that a Dr can prescribe any med for whatever reason if they think it will be effective and that you were prescribed Topa for weight loss. Not sure about the laws in Canada but in the US it is illegal for a Dr to tell a patient that he is giving them a medication for condition X when he really is giving it for condition Y. From your story I come away with the possibility that the psych actually did prescribe the Topa as a mood stabilizer and it turned out that you got the weight loss side effect. That makes much more sense to me than a Dr giving a medication and lying about what it's for. And then having to falsify medical records. And then having to remember exactly who he had lied to. And if he did it to/for you then he's most likely done it to/for others. So that would mean that he'd be having to remember each patient to the point that he'd have to, by memory, recall what was medically going on, what was the lie told and what was the truth and be able to act accordingly - all the while maintaining the lie.

Overall - taking a pill that changes your brain chemistry to the extent that it can stop a seizure or migraine - in the hopes that it will, maybe, make you lose weight, if you're lucky... That just doesn't make sense to me. I'll never understand someone hoping that out of the long list of side effects they get one, but just that one, not the others.

Yes it does for me affect the taste of soft drinks.  I have stopped drinking them all together since they taste so different.  For me they have never started to taste normal and I figure it helps to eleiminate somtthing I should give up anyway:)
Thank You I read the post that you would not loose weight the second time if you did the first.  I am on it a second time for migranes (migraines) as the first time I had to quit because of the cost.  I love that it helps with the migraines and was really hoping to loose the weight also know that the dose has been raised but that post had me worried that benifit would not happen...you made my day:)
Started taking Topirmate 2 weeks ago. Been told to take a 25mg for 2 weeks, then 2 a day for 2 weeks, one in the morning+2 at night for 2 weeks, ending on 2 twice a day.  i'm only on the 2 a day at the moment but I'm having real trouble sleeping.
Just wondering if anyone else has this side effect.  I go to sleep ok, but then wake up after a couple of hours and struggle to get back to sleep.
Any suggestions on how I can sleep better?  And how to get rid of the dry mouth and tickly cough that comes with it???
Thank you xXx
Yes, it has helped my pain. I have been so happy with the results I have almost been in tears with the realization of the lack of pain when I did not get a migraine when I knew something should of triggered one. I got a headache the other night and it was as simple as a tylenol to fix it. I was thrilled.
Hi Everyone,
This is my second round on Topamax 100mg current will be up to 150mg in 2 weeks. I was initially prescribed for depression and bi-polar II in 2007 although those behaviors have mostly subsided now. I was about 150 pds when I started on a combo of Topamax 200mg and Zonegran 200mg (I played with various levels even up to 400mg of topamax I recall) when I was starting. I dropped down initially to 134 pds but was going to the gym at least 5 days/week plus I was under extreme duress with a boyfriend (who wouldn't marry me) in Iraq, the craziness of the Great recession plus a job I wasn't equipped to handle. I was so rundown I got mono and the virus crept into my brain it caused temporary seizures and eventually a full nervous breakdown where my weight was as low as 125pds but I was on a cocktail of all sorts of other meds temporarily. Years later, when I felt stabilized I came off the topamax I did gain back the weight, but a lot of it due to drinking with my friends at happy hour and lack of exercise, I also gained a quick ten pounds from being prescribed lexapro during a depressive episode in the winter of 2011. I am now back on Topamax. We don't have Zonegran in Canada where I live, so I dropped that in January of 2010. Interestingly enough, as I start back on Topamax, I am exactly 150 again which seems to be my set point weight. I am taking the medication primarily to curb my craving for alcohol and the occasional outburst that I always regret professionally. I have a quite a senior job now and the great thing about Topamax is it makes excessive behavior (drinking, interrupting, moodiness) less desirable. Cognitive side effects only seem to be in the arena of public speaking; I can't seem to hold as many complex thoughts and ideas at one time, which gives me anxiety. I am working on this and have come a long way with practice. I have had no other health effects. I will let you all know, second time around if my body responds weight wise as it did the first time.
I totally understand.  I just started taking it for headaches too but I am sure hoping the weight comes off too.  I lost 50 lbs once on my own and then gained 80 and lost that.  I have gained 50 again.  Swore I would never get here and here I am.  There is nothing like feeling terrible about yourself.  Good luck to you!!

I also just found out through an MRI that at some point I have had a stroke.  I am wondering if that is why I have such a terrible memory.  I won't know more until I see a neurologist next week.
I, love being on topamax for MIGRAINES!!!!, loosing weight like MAD CRAZY!!!
what do you mean HAIR LOSS! My doctor is givinging it to me for a mood stablilzer. I can't afford to lose any hair, its very thin to begin with. I didnt read anything about hair loss please let me know where to find that. I would rather be crazy than bald.
I took Topomax (topamax) for a about 2 weeks.  I stopped after the second week.  I too have trouble concentrating and have blurred vision still after stopped taking it.  I use to take it in the 100 mg in the morning.  I wonder if it makes a difference if you take it at night?
I am 20 and in the Marine Corps and was recenetly diagnosed with siezures. No clue what type. EEGs are clean, MRIs are clean, no heart problems, nothing. Not Narceleptic, Eplileptic, nothing. (You get what you pay for right? Navy Medical haha)
Long story short, nobody knows what type of siezure I have, but I definitely have them.... (or rather HAD them)
My point is, They put me on Topomax (topamax), Its been about a month, and I am so far, Siezure Free! My doc decided to try it because i also have Migrianes 3-4 times a week that prevent me from working, I cant do my job like I'm supposed to and that *****....
Despite some of the off color side effects Ive noticed ( blanking out or not remembering what I was planning on saying, being at a loss for words, or tingling hands, face, or  feet, and my complete lack of appetite when i used to be able to out eat a 16 year old boy going through puberty.) My headaches are now almost non-existent. and no siezures since i started taking it. Im up to 4 pills a day and have lost like 10 lbs, although, to be honest, i dont have much I can afford to lose to begin with, Im kinda small.
But I think I like this drug, Im gonna stick with it unless hte weight loss gets to be too much, Its weird not being able to eat....

-- Tiffany :)
Hello everyone! I came upon this conversation and find all the information very interesting and scary. I've been suggested to take Topamax to help with my binge eating disorder but reading all the stories and the side effects I'm not really sure if I want to start the medication.
But at the same time my eating disorder is getting more and more serious and I really can't deal with it.
What worries me the most is the memory loss and blurriness. I'm a college student and can't afford losing my memory. Also the hair loss scares me a lot!!
Can somebody please tell me is the medication worth starting??
My Dr recently put me on Topiramate 25 mg once in the am and 50 mg once in the pm for my headaches. I'm finding that I am unable to sleep. I'm going on 3 nights of very little sleep. I don't want to stop taking this because I have heard good results. However, I'm afraid to increase the strength when it comes time. Can anyone tell me if this will stop? I just need to be able to sleep. I work 40+ hrs a week.
Viewing 201-400 comments: