What dosage of Topamax causes weightloss?
I just started Topamax.  I'm on 25mg/day and will increase by 25mg/week until I reach 100mg.  I heard the weightloss effect depends on the dose.  So, what dose did everyone here have their success?  And what type of diet/eating plan and exercise plan did you do to help it along?  I'm desperate to lose 40 lbs (half of which I gained on Zoloft-no longer taking).  PLEASE respond if you had any weightloss on this drug, I'm very curious.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!  :)
Oh, I went from 7-8 migraines a month to NONE now!!!!!
My daughter and I take Topomax for migraines.  My daughter takes it for complicated migraines that lead to seizures and topomax is an anti seizure drug.  Her neurologist never mentioned hair loss.  I even called to verify.  She said that hair loss isn't mentioned.  but that everyone's system is different.  If extreme weight is involved then that is the culprit not the drug.  The drug only helps kill the appetite.  YOu still need some will.  The weight loss you are taking about is fantastic.  I have been on the drug for 2 years and I 47 and about to enter menopause and I haven't noticed a large amount of hair loss and believe I would notice since as I have aged my hair has thinned and it wasn't thick to begin with.  I lost 16 lbs.  and haven't continued as I didn't need to lose anymore.  My daughter lost 12 and had to gain 6 back as she is small only 106.  So I believe the hair loss is extreme weight loss and not the drug so much.
I went from 2 - 3 migrains a week to none.  I take 200 mg of topamax a day .I did not start my hair loss untill about 8 or 9 months on it .In over 1 years time I'v lost 53 lbs. Alote of walking and playing softball with my 15 year old daughter this summer.The weight loss is not the cause of my hair loss my doctors have checked my blood levels.I'm not vitamine dificient and my hormone levels came back fine .I'v had a hysterectomy. Like other people on it I'v read about my hair folices hurt.My doctor says my scalp is very dry .I see another doctor in January. I dont have any regrowth.It bothers me alot that my hair is falling out but for now I'm staying on the med because I'm not on it for the weight loss I'm on it to controll my migraines.It does that very well.There are other sites that you can tell about your side effects, good and bad that you can look into.Some people dont say anything about weight loss but hair loss. Good luck !and Thank you!
I am taking 75mg. of topamax and also taking Zoloft and Verapamil for migraines.  I am not loosing any weight.  I am so frustrated because I feel that I'm the only one that's not losing.  Does anyone think it's because of the other drugs I'm taking?  Next week I go to 100mg.  Please help
how long have you been on topomax it takes several months for it to get into your system...and you have to take as you doc. prescribes...
I've lost over 30 pounds slowly with prob. three to four months but know its been nearly 8 months and it's stayed off, i do eat healthy  but love to you eat mexican food out once a week!!!  Anyways if it works with you medical issues i would try to stay with this, it's good!!!!!  Amanda  God Bless.
In response to the comment about about hair loss while on Topamax being attributed to dramatic weight loss and not just to the actual drug--I just wanted to put in my experience so far.  First of all, from what I have read, and this is true for any medication, not everyone experiences every side effect.  From what I have read, with Topamax some people are lucky enough to never have any hair loss and some have to deal with a lot of it.  I have been on Topamax for 2 months now (100 mg/day) and it has worked wonders on my headaches.  I lost about 4 lbs in the first couple weeks, but since then my weight has stayed stable--and that's okay because as long as my headaches are gone I'm happy!  However, starting about two weeks ago I started noticing significant hair loss in the shower, when brushing, or blow-drying my hair.  I'm only 26 and I have long hair that used to be thick.  In the past two weeks it has become incredibly thin, dry, and brittle.  I am afraid to even brush it with my fingers because it comes out so much.  Since I have had no significant weight loss, there's no way it could be from that.  I've started taking selenium, zinc, biotin, and a multivitamin and I hope that they can counteract whatever this drug is leaching from my body (I've also got an appt. with a dermatologist).  Topamax has brought me such relief from paralyzing headaches, but I'm not sure staying on it is worth going bald!
I had a bad experience with Topamax. I took it for seizures. I had the tingling feeling in hands, feet, knees, arms, abdomen, and face. It got to the point where it was actually painful and it gradually got worse, but the tingling was not bad compared to the muscle spasms or twitches. Just under my eye, I had a muscle twitch for 2 months. During that time, I also had muscle twitches on my face, all over my cheeks, jaws and around my mouth. It would even paralyze my mouth for hours. I was on Topamax for 5 months. The muscle spasms and twitches gradually became worse and more often. The were in my abdomen and legs. All of the twitches that I had were visible.

Towards the end of my time on Topamax, whenever I would lay down my eyes would twitch and the back of my head would tingle. I went to my neurologist 3 times about these problems. He told me he had never heard of this and he did not think it was the Topamax. He did try 2 different muscle relaxers and they did not work. I did research and the symptoms I had were identical to Secondary Drug-Induced Dystonia. In the prescribing info for Topamax,  Dystonia was listed as a rare side effect. I finally convinced my neurologist that my problems were coming from the Topamax and he tapered me off and changed my medicine. As I took less Topamax my symptoms decreased and about 1 1/2 weeks after being completely off of it all symtoms were gone.

This was not a pleasant experience and I have recently found several websites like this where other people on Topamax have had muscle twitches especially in the face.
I felt better that I had not been alone.
hi i take tordal an imetrax for my migraines no hair loss been on it for years
I have recently started on Topamax for Migraines.I also take Celebrex for arthritis.  It seems like all my joints are swelling up and I can hardly move. Has anyone experienced anythinglike this?
Hello, all of you.  I am a former migraine sufferer.  I had been put on Topamax and thought the side-effects to be unbearable at the time.  Hair-loss was not a concern for me, though.  Yes, I am a woman.  With hair.  Anyway, I fasted for 11 days, a naturopathic way to detoxify the body, and I don't experience a migraine but one every couple of months.  Now I am on it for another reason: mood stabilizing.  I will admit I want to lose weight.  But I want to say this:  would any of you rather give back all that Topamax has given you (weight-loss, pain-releif from migraines, mood stability, etc.) just to have hair?  I would rather be bald and not feel as though I am on an emotional rollercoaster every single day.  I know that hair is a woman's crown and glory.  But migraines are so horrible.  I know.  I used to get them 3 days of every week.  And the reason I am now on it is because I go from calm, to screaming, to singing to the radio, to crying.  It's insane.  But I am not.  I feel like I am though.  And you probably think I am.  You have that right.  But consider what I have said.  Your hair is just hair.  Your face is your beauty.  And your smile, which shows the beauty that lies inside you.  Life with migraines, mood disorders, and feelings of inadequacy is not really life.  Is it?  I will continue to take this for as long as it continues to make me feel human.  I hope I have given you all a little bit of perspective.  I am not calling anyone shallow or anything like that.  Just saying something you may not have considered, yet.  I wish you all well.
I would most like to hear comment about brain fog.  I have been on Topamax  for over 1 1/2  years, 50 MG.  It reduced 6 or more migraines a month to maybe one. I have noticed some hair thinning, hadn't lost weight (don't particularly need to) and was happy.  But, I leave hair every where.  I went off Topamax for a while, and had decided it was not worth having migraines! (My insurance will only pay 50% of the price of Imitrex or Maxalt, or any drug, and worse yet, limits me on how many a month, so I need a way to PREVENT migraines.)
The real reason I need to drop Topamax is due to the Brain Fog.  I work for a major corporation, and have made a few public blunders like forgetting stuff, in the last year.  I have been so fuzzy in the brain that I'm not getting all my work done, and then even at home am just sitting there.  I used to come home and zoom around doing my hobbies after work... I was such an energetic person that people called me jokingly, manic, because I'd be up till 1 AM on my hobby, and then at work the next morning at 8.  Now, I just come home and sit and watch TV. My craft room sits there in a messy clutter, and it's like I can't even think straight enough to figure how to organize it.  
No joke.  I am only 46, no issues with other health problems, excellent check-up otherwise.  The hair loss, I might attribute to my age (although I am not otherwise having mid-life issues). But the brain fog... well, that one is not tolerable.  
Ok, nobody else but me notices this.  Mostly, my family is so happy to not have to deal with "me on a headache" that they don't mind. I'm having to make post-it notes at work so I remember things.  I'm going to try that for a while, and take some vitamins.  I do remember laying in bed for three days with a migraine while in college, before they had good drugs like Maxalt and Imitrex. And I remember drugs like Percocet/Darvon that made me vomit, and other narcotics that made me sleep for days.
Love and blessings, Marie
I am on Topomax for papalledema.  Basically, my brain hangs to low, blocks the flow of my spinal fluid and the pressure builds up in my brian behind my eyes.....annnnnnny whooo.
I have been on it for a bit, slowly have gone up to 300 mg, slowly been having the wonderful weightloss side effect, but all my other side effects are oppisite of what is stated as what are probable side effects.  Ok, no,  I have not had any hairloss.  As a matter of fact, if anything, it has been making my hair grow faster, and of that I am thankful, for I have had some mighty funky hair cuts this year. lol.
My dr kept telling that while I am on the topomax it would be a good thing to take advantage of it for the wieghtloss, and has uped it a few times.  I found this sight trying to see exactly how far it could be uped to.  He never gave me any idea exactly to what.  But at least he is one of the nicer drs, not being rude saying I need to lose wieght out right.  Those ones get on my nerves, if they never ask your history, dont know what meds you have been on, that you have been on steriods injected in your back for other probs that make it a tad bit difficult even when your not eating to get the wight off, umm hmm.
IF I CONTINUE TO STAY ON THE TOPOMAX, WILL I EVENTUALLY LOOSE ALL MY HAIR  PLEASE RESPOND
I DOUBT THAT YOU WOULD LOSE ALL YOUR HAIR.  YOU DO GROW HAIR BACK.  HAS IT ALREADY HAD THAT SIDE EFFECT ON YOU?  JUST BECAUSE IT HITS SOMEONE ELSE LIKE THAT DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL DO THAT TO YOU.

I AM AN EPILEPTIC THAT USED TO TAKE A MASSIVE DOSE OF LAMICTAL AND TOPAMAX, 1000 MG/DAY OF EACH ONE.  I HAD BRAIN SURGERY, SEIZURES STOPPED, GOT WEANED OFF THE TOPAMAX AND CUT THE LAMICTAL WAY DOWN.  EVEN ON THAT HIGH DOSE OF THE TOPAMAX, I DIDN'T LOSE MY HAIR.  OF COURSE I DIDN'T LOSE WEIGHT EITHER BECAUSE I HAD TO EAT SO MUCH TO KEEP FROM GETTING SOME OF THE OTHER SIDE EFFECTS, BUT IT CUT MY SEIZURES WAY DOWN WHILE NONE OF THE OTHER MEDS I TRIED HAD.  YOU JUST HAVE TO CHOOSE WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.  I JUST STARTED BACK ON A LOW DOSE OF TOPAMAX MIXED WITH MY LAMICTAL AGAIN BECAUSE OF SIGNS OF AURAS (PART OF EPILEPSY) SHOWING UP, RELATED TO ME GOING THROUGH MENOPAUSE AND I CAN'T TAKE HORMONES.  IN JUST OVER 3 DAYS A VERY MINOR DOSE, 25 MG/2 DAY, STOPPED THAT.  IS THAT WORTH THE CHANCE OF SIDE EFFECTS FOR ME.  YES, IT IS.  THIS MED DOESN'T HIT ME AS HARD AS SOME OF THE OTHER ONES I TRIED, NOR DOES IT AFFECT ME LIKE IT DOES SOME OF THESE OTHER LADIES EITHER.  GOOD LUCK!
Just wondering how fast is the weight lose , I have been on depakote for 8 moths and gained 40 pds . I hate it . My sister did the same thing , thanks
My doc. just put me on 25mg of topamax for headaches due to a car accident that i was in back in Aug. My Son was on topamax after he had a seizure and was in a coma for 7days. We took him off the topamax because he was so loopy. I havnt started taking it yet iam soooo..... scared. I hate that loopy feeling! As for the tingling i already suffer for tingling in my fingers due to the accident as well. I wonder if this will make it worse? At what dosage did you guys start feeling these side effects? Like i said iam only starting out at 25mg but iam sure my nurologist is going to up my dosage. The only side effect that sounds positive is the weight lose. Can anyone help me with my concerns?
So, are y'all doing these seizure meds to actually lose weight???  I saw this under weightloss and HAD to ask this question!  I just remember how happy we were to get our little boy off of seizure meds after years of horrible seizures and all the bad side effects he's just now overcoming from the meds (including liver and kidney problems)... I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to take them, weightloss or not.  I mean, after all, they're for nerve blocking in the brain and can really change things (sometimes for the worse).  Really, honestly.... just curious.
Has anyone found a supplement that helps the hair loss after going off of it? I know that everyone's suggested Biotin to Evening Primrose, but has any of it worked and how long after stopping the drug did it take to regrow your hair? I look at my temples and it seems as though the follicles of my hair are spaced farther apart. I can see through to my scalp which is alarming!  I've only been off of Topomax for a couple of weeks, and the major shedding has stopped. But my hair breaks off or rather snaps when I brush it. I'm guilty of flat ironing, but I'm stopping that and only doing it on the weekends (you know,... when it counts). But I'm getting super anxious about its regrowth. I've been on and off of Topomax since 2005. I hope that it doesn't take as long as that to get out of my system! I'm starting to eat boiled eggs (which has biotin) and more meats. But the time it is taking (yeah i know... only two weeks) is making me crazy.
I agree with revins.  I can't believe how many people are considering Topamax for the weight loss!  This is a serious drug with serious side effects.  
My doc prescribed it to me for migraines.  I used to get about 4 or 5 a month.  I have been on Topamax for 6 weeks, 25 mg 2x a day, and I have not had a migraine in a month.  This drug is wonderful.  It is not without its side effects.  I have lost my appetite, but I also feel groggy sometimes, and I have noticed the brain fog, like not being able to remember the name of a very familiar place or what I ate for dinner the night before.  I have not noticed any hair loss yet.  
I started watching my weight and eating better about 2 months before I started on Topamax, so I can't say that it has caused any significant weight loss.  However, what brought me to this post was that I am recovering from surgery and I am eating more to regain my strength.  Despite this, I am still losing (or at least not gaining any) weight.  So I figured I'd check out to see if it could be a possible side effect of Topamax. I was surprised to see that it could be.  Anyway, I agree with the others that if this works for your migraines or seizures and the only side effects are hair loss and/or (happily) weight loss, then it's a good trade.  I don't think there's any medicine out there that is without any side effects.  Good luck.