Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Will losing weight "cure" pseudotumor cerebri?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

I went to the eye doctor today for a routine exam, and found out that I have pseudotumor cerebri. I have been dealing with headaches and a pounding/wooshing in my ear for some time and no one could ever figure out why. I am overweight, and also have hypothyrodisim and polycystic ovarian syndrome. The doctor told me that if I lose weight, come back in six months, and the eye looks okay then I shouldn't need to worry. Then he also said that if I lose the weight, come back, and the nerve is still swollen, then I would need a spinal tap. That scares me big time. So my question is will weight loss actually help? I plan on losing weight anyway, and am going to do it no matter what. But I just want to know if it really will help or I may need a spinal tap in the future. Everything I have read has said that weight loss will help prevent pseudotumor cerebri from coming on, but it does not really say how it will help if you already have it. I am just scared and am looking for some reassurance. I have noticed that the headaches and pounding in my ear has been worse. I also deal with occasional blurring. Just hoping things are not too bad. I will appreciate any response I get.
My daughter was diagnosed in 2009 with ptc....she had to go for lumbar punctures about three times a year.  She has since gained another 50 pounds and her symptoms have gotten much worse.  She was having to go for lp's every 10 days to keep her pressure down.  She finally went to see a neurosurgeon and the dr. put a lumbar shunt in.  It worked wonderful for three months until she fell down a couple of steps and moved the shunt.  She had the surgery re-done and the shunt wasn't working well so the dr just went in again last week and fixed the drain tube.  After all of that, she is doing great right now.  No headaches and her vision has improved 100%!  My thoughts on weight loss is that yes, it would help.  My daughters symptoms were manageable prior to the extra weight gain and I feel if she lost the weight plus an additional 50 lbs, she would be cured.  I just pray this shunt continues to work and she can move on with her life, she is only 23 years old.  I would try your hardest to loose weight, I'm sure your young and want to move on with your life as well.  Everytime you put something in your mouth to eat, remember your vision...you don't want to loose your precious sight or have to go through surgeries! Good luck and God Bless!!