Weight Loss Alternatives Community
Zoloft

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

Zoloft

Hello. I have been working to get down to my ideal weight for several months now, and I am doing very well. However, my doctor prescribed me Zoloft today to treat my anxiety, and even though I addressed the issue of weight gain with her and she told me that I would need to watch my carbs and exercise consistently, I am quite worried about gaining back the weight I've lost (almost 20 lbs). Does anyone have any personal stories that can help me with the dilemma of taking or not taking the medication?
It all comes down to calories in vs. calories out.  Continue to monitor your food intake as you've been doing and exercise regularly.
I understand that, but zoloft lowers your metabolism and changes the metabolism of carbohydrates from what I have found in looking it up. I'm just wondering if anybody has been on it, and if so, what happened in the case of weight loss or gain, and what habits changed or stayed the same that may have allowed the medication to cause the effects.
I was on Zoloft for awhile.  It actually made me lose my appetite, so I ending up losing about 20-25lbs. while on it.  It all depends on your body chemistry and how the drug will react.  There's a few other people i know that lost weight while on the meds.  Good luck.
I have been taking zoloft for almost four years now.  Boy!! did I gain a ton of weight.  I coudn't take it off no matter what I do.  A few months ago, I stopped taking the drug and actually saw a weight loss so I know that it was the drugs that were making me gain weight.  Unfortunately, I have recently had to start taking them again.  Incidently, I gained all the weight again.  I guess you have to just decide if you'd rather be a thin, sad person or a happy, fat person.
I have been taking zoloft for 3 1/2 years and have gained at least 40 lbs during that time.  It took me a long time to realize it was the drug.  I just assumed I wasn't watching my diet close enough, or not exercising hard enough.  After going from a size 6 to a 14, I joined a weight loss program, after stringently following the program for 12 weeks, I actually gained 2 lbs!  This past April, I went off the zoloft, (properly tapering).  I've not had any side effects from going off the meds, except that I still can't lose any wieght, although I don't believe I've gained anymore.  I was taking it to prevent headaches, and actually have had fewer headaches since stopping the med.  But I would llove to hear if anyone is able to lose weight after quitting the meds, and how?   (I would question your need for the drug with your doctor if you notice a small weight gain.  Please don't wait until 40 lbs later.  I wasn't depressed before, but this is certainly depressing now.
Hi. I have been reading all your notes about zoloft and weight loss. I am relatively skinny to begin with and I have recently lost 9 lbs. since I have been taking zoloft (four months).  I consulted my prescribing dr. and my primary physician both claim that the zoloft should be weight neutral and that there is another cause for the weight loss...which has me more worried. I am the skinniest I have been since jr. high. Most of my clothes hang on me and people ask me what is wrong...I look sick, etc. I have had no other changes to my diet or exercise plan. The weight seems to be dropping faster than it did at first. Any insight?
Hi I have been on Zoloft for 5 weeks and have lost weight.  I was and am quite concerned about weight gain too.  I am very small and a couple of pounds makes a big difference on me.  

Some people say it changes your body chemistry but I have been told that is impossible that it is mostly a change in appetite.  I have also been told craving sweets is common.

I do crave sweets a bit but I am very aware of what I am eating and keep a journal so if I gain any weight I will know and then will be able to make a change.  Weigh yourself often, keep a journal and don't panic if you start to crave something because it will pass.  Many people don't gain weight and instead they loose so try not to worry to much.  If you start to gain weight and you are having problems you can change your meds, you have lots of options.  If you are able to loose 20lbs (great job!) on your own surely you will beable to keep yourself from gaining too.  good luck, Erin
I would suggest just not expecting anything to happen. If you take it assuming that it will increase you appetite, it probably will just because you expect it to (placebo effect). Though it really does have appetite effects sometimes (i started wasting away when I was on it and i only took it for a few weeks before i couldn't handle it anymore. I lost all my muscle mass, it was awful.) sometimes it doesn't do anything. It just depends on how your body will handle the chemistry change. I just wouldn't want you to suddenly gain a bunch of wright as a result of being so scared of it happening. Just don't think about it, and it might end up being a really good thing for you.
Zoloft has more results for weight gain
Effexor has results of weight loss and Paxil
Wellbutrin and Cymbalta have had less complaints of weight gain
****
I have just been prescribed zoloft and sure hope i don't gain any weight because i sure don't need nay more than what i already have. But will keep posting within the next few weeks.
i was on zoloft and gained about 40 pounds.  i weighed 120 and got up to about 160.  i did not exercise at all though or watch my food intake....i had never needed too.  when i got off zoloft, i did lose weight though. honestly, meds effect people so differently though....so there's no way to know how it will effect you without tryinging it.  good luck!!!
Glad to hear you lost the weight!! Can you shed any light on how long this weight-loss process was and anything special that you did/avoided to drop pounds??  

To anyone:  I'm wondering if this sounds like the Zoloft could be responsible for me gaining weight. I have been on Zoloft since July 2006 and in the past two months I have gained 6 lbs. without changing my eating or exercise habits. I'm a small person with an athletic build - 5' 5" and I normally weigh about 114 lbs. I'm 26 and have been at this weight +/- 3 lbs. since my sophomore year of college (as recently as January, I was at 111 lbs. b/c I wasn't eating much due to stress).  

To be honest, I don't eat super well and don't really do cardio, but losing a few pounds quickly has never been difficult for me (I usually cut back on junk for a few days). In the past month, however, I haven't been able to get rid of this weight. I have a super-fast metabolism that I can't see changing "all of a sudden" on its own. Any thoughts on whether this sounds like an effect of the Zoloft?? I'm tapering now so I hope this helps. Thanks so much!!  
I took Zoloft for 4 and a half months due to panic attacks. Initially I lost weight. Then I gained about 10 lbs by month 4 so I decided enough is enough, especially after reading NUMEROUS blog sites that state prolonged Zoloft use can contribute to an AVERAGE weight gain of 20 - 60 pounds. No thank you. I'd rather be fit and do yoga for stress relief.

I have tapered off recently and am looking forward to losing the weight gained as well as 15 lbs I needed to lose before being prescribed Zoloft.

Exercise naturally releases serotonin and helps ease anxiety and stress which is what I am doing now.  
I just started taking Zoloft 2 weeks ago.  My doctor told me I should actually lose weight- she also put me on Topamax to ensure the weight loss (I was really concerned with the whole weight thing, since I'd been through a huge ordeal with Paxil and Prozac and fought REALLY HARD to get rid of 20 of the extra 30 pounds they packed on).  I didn't want to go through that again.  As I told my husband- what's the point of being happy if I'm fat?  Then I'm right back to being miserable, but for a different reason!  Anyway.... I've already gained 9 pounds!  I've kept my weight the same since April- not fluctuating AT ALL- and I've actually been feeling a little nauseous on these pills, so I've been eating LESS than normal.  Apparently, I fall into the category of people who gain weight on these types of meds.  I've been told it has something to do with your metabolism.  Who knows- what would be nice is to find a med that works and doesn't make you gain weight!
I just got off Zoloft 10 days ago.  I was on it for 6 months, and while on it I gained 10 to 15 pounds.  I work out regularly and am watching my diet.  Any insight on when I should expecto to lose some of this weight?  Thank you...
I have gained at least 45 lbs since starting Zoloft a few years ago. I'm 41 years old and I have NEVER been this heavy in my life. I'm right around 245 at 6 ft tall. As an adult I've fluctuated between 175-195. About 3 years ago I started taking Zoloft gradually. I think I started with no more than 25mg per day, maybe less. Over the next few months I tapered up to higher doses. During those months I started craving carbohydrates. We all get cravings now and then and I didn't think much of it. But I started making special trips to the store just to buy peanut M&M's. Within less than 2 months I had gained 30 lbs. I consulted my prescribing doctor who told me that Zoloft does cause carb craving - information he could have told me BEFORE I started the medication. A few months later I asked him specifically if Zoloft slows metabolism and he said the jury was still out. But I would say my craving for carbs increased and I feel that my metabolism is much slower.

During the initial weight gain I was still tapering up my dosage. I got up to 200mg per day. Interestingly, by that time the carb craving had gone away. It started on a lower dose and you'd expect it to get worse with increased dosage. Didn't happen with me, though. The serious cravings just went away.

Yes, medications can affect different people in different ways. I think in general that Zoloft makes you crave carbs and slows metabolism. But I think the dosage of Zoloft is a big factor also. I didn't notice dosage amounts in any of the posts above. If Zoloft does cause weight gain, you'll probably notice more weight gain with higher doses.
I have been taking Zoloft for the past three years of my life. I have a very small build to begin with (regularly weighing 108 lbs. at 5'4"). During my time on Zoloft, the only changes in weight I have noticed have been accredited to enviromental causes.

On the contrast, when I began taking Seroquel, I did notice my body requiring less calories to maintain my weight. Since I have stopped taking it, I've found that my body requires 3,000 calories to maintain my weight with 30 minutes of Irish Dance and 30 minutes of Running daily.

My physcaitrist claims Zoloft to be weight nuetral. I do beleive this theory, seeing as I carefully count my calories (being an athlete) and notice the dietary habits of others less cognisent. So for those of you who have gained since taking Zoloft, I'd reccomend counting your calories so you can see where the REAL source of weight gain in coming from!

Exercise is very beneficial, also. As I mentioned, I work out an hour a day, six days a week (except I have bronchitis at the moment, so won't be able to exercise for the next week :(((() Being physically active is an integral part in your physical and emotional health, one aspect that I have found very important in combating my depression. Even after today, day one of not working out, I feel marketably worse :(

Okay, my rambling is over. From my observations and knowledge, Zoloft should niether cause a weight gain or loss. Just monitor your diet closely and adhere to regular exercise, most days of the week. Last but no least, CONGRATS ON LOSING 20 lbs.!!! Keep up the great work, and best of luck to you all :)
I've definitely noticed a major weight gain with zoloft, despite my drs assurance that it wasn't "known" to cause weight gain.  I'm 5'7 and I'm weighing about 160 lbs.  I weighed 125-130 when I started zoloft 2 years ago.  I've never had to worry about weight or had problems with my weight until now.  I've actually counted calories for the first time and realize that my intake is about 1,000 a day and I'm constantly on the move.  It's very frustrating and depressing....and I'm not even taking zoloft for depression!  I tried to wean myself slowly last month, but my anxiety became so intense I thought I would crawl out of my own skin.  I told this to my dr. who responded by upping the dosage, which hasn't helped.  I just want to be done with anti-depressants as they've not helped...in fact, I think they've just added more problems.
since i have started zoloft approx.. a month ago, i have noticed nausea, loose stools often and an increase of being lazy. All of these factors have resulted in a sudden weight loss about 10 pounds in a month. i have been struggling to lose weight and i am happy about losing for the most part. i have noticed i am not able to tolerate some foods and deff not able to tolerate alcohol what so ever.
I have been on zoloft for about 3 months (50 mg for the first month, 100 for the second and third).  I noticed slight weight loss (about 3-5 lbs) in the first 2 months.  But in the last month I have lost 7 more lbs.  I was worried about it and my doctor told me to continue taking them (as I was benefiting from it) and just make sure I eat a balanced diet, and aim at increasing my calorie intake slightly.  Now, I eat whatever I want, and I stay around 129 (I'm typically 136 or higher).  I do enjoy the weight loss, however, I would not want to loose anymore, as I am 5'10" and losing any more weight would make me look way too skinny.

On a side note, I have known several of my friends to take zoloft, and they all benefited from a 1-2 pound loss in weight.  I've not known anyone to gain weight.
I was on Zoloft for about 3 years and was always very slim, now that i am married i decided to come off the meds and just balooned!! so am now back on them, perhaps they do slow down your metabolism? i find im not as hungry as i used to be.. also with my depression i eat to feel better, so now that im not depressed i dont eat so much! i think mental health is more important the physical health though, so even if you gain a few kg's or lose a few kg's so long as your happy and healthy that's all that matters!
I started taking Zoloft 50 mg a month ago and noticed I have no appetite at all. I have to force myself to eat everyday. It has also decreased my anxiety and my depression tremendously. I really like how I feel now and losing weight at the same time is a bonus. I eat healthy foods though ;)
I took 100mgs of zoloft for approx 3 years. During that time period I have gained 30+lbs. I weaned myself off zoloft very recently over a period of 3weeks. My energy has returned and I have started walking 2miles everyday. I have been zoloft free now for a little over 2 weeks and starting my exercise program of walking 2miles per day a little less than a week ago. I have already lost almost 3lbs! I truly feel a difference and feel that my metabolism has been "rebooted" so to speak! I do believe that zoloft effects everyone differently but believe that weight gain (for the majority) is inevitable on SSRI's.
I was on Paxil at two different periods in my life, for one time over 1 yr and another time for about 6 months.  Both times caused me to gain 20 lbs, which I lost after getting off the drugs. I am an athlete and exercise regularly,and am convinced it was due to the drugs.  I have been considering trying Zoloft or Lexapro, but it seems like weight loss is prevalent on both of those drugs as well.
The same is happening with me! I am seeing a new dr, b/c we moved out of state. When I 1st saw this dr, I had just had my daughter, so I was weighing in at about 110 lbs. Now, before I got pregnant with either of my kids, my weight was 98lbs (I'm about 5ft tall). Ever since I started taking Zoloft, my weight has gone back down to 98lbs and my dr seems concerned. He keeps asking me why I'm losing so much weight. I haven't changed my diet... I've always been small and have always been able to eat whatever I wanted and not gain a pound. He doesn't understand that 98lbs, is normally what I usually weigh. The most I've ever weighed (without being pregnant) was 104lbs and that was back in high school, which was over 11 years ago. Granted, I would like to maintain the 105-110 range. I think I will talk to my dr about Zoloft and weight loss and see what he thinks. I don't see it helping me anyway, so why not change. I'm also taking Wellbutrin, along with the Zoloft.
I gained a massive amount of weight once my physician decided to give me 150mg of zoloft per day for three months.  I got rid of the medication almost a year go  and still cannot get rid of the weight.  Can anyone help?! advise? I do not  over-eat or anything.  Also, I was reading about JNK gene and a new JNK supplement and Liquid Booster which supposedly help people who withdrew from anti dipressants lose weight.  Anyone tried them? I also read that JNK might be a scam...Feedback Please...Much appreciated
I too take Zoloft and have gained weight.  But I am more concerned with the effects on my blood pressure meds.  Any thoughts?
rae
i have been taking zoloft since 9th grade! i am now 22.. i have been on this medication for a while i would have to say and i have never ever gained excessive weight.. as a matter of a fact i quit talking zoloft because i found out that i was pregnant and then after i had my son and after normal daily routines.. i believe i am EXACTLY the same weight that i was at before.. i think it might be all in your head.. and if you read the papers that come with your prescription.. zoloft does change your brain chemistry.. do a little research..
you should have done more research before taking any drug!
this medication will take you a while to adjust but it is worth it i think.. i have had my doses lowered and raised alot but i have always stuck it out with this one because i feel with all the research i have done.. and all the experience i have had that this one is best for me..
everyone is different... everyone's body is different.. every response that you read on here is someone's personal experience but you may not go through the same experience they will... do not go on everything that you hear... GO ON EXPERIENCE..
like i said before i have NEVER experienced any of these other things ppl on there were complaining about...
I gained 30 lbs fairly rapidly on Zoloft. I am at a point of measuring whether to risk being depressed/anxious and thin (maybe) or being heavier than is ideal but calm and a bit happier. It's a difficult choice to make, particularly as a woman. I am feeling more calm and am in a married relationship that feels stable and trustworthy, but I feel I may be better able to initiate positive self-talk to off-set anxiety and depression. What I have determined is that if I wean off Zoloft and get past the expected back-lash/withdrawal of that and find I feel "bad" again, I would rather be a consistent 161lbs than be unhappy and 131 per the past. No one is as attractive as they are when they feel their emotional best.
J, LCPC-c
Ugh.  It's easy to say calories in vs. out, watch your portions, consistent exercise yada yada yada...  I'm sure everyone is different, but for me I had lost 20 lbs. and gotten back to my 'normal' weight several months before being put on Zoloft.  Within 2 months of being on Zoloft I'd gained 30 lbs.  Now, I was exercising a couple of times a week until I got 30 lbs discouraged.  I've tried limiting myself on the foods that I eat - but mentally it's more than a challenge.  My doctor said, "happy people eat more."  I think happiness shouldn't be based on food and right now mine is and I'm growing increasingly unhappy.  Don't get me wrong, the Zoloft has improved my mental health by miles, but I would encourage you to look for natural alternatives to Zoloft if you have the time.  All the best!
I am currently tapering off of 50 mg zoloft after gaining almost 70 lbs in the 10 plus years I have taken it.  The first month I was on zoloft I gained 10 lbs and another 10 lbs the second month.  No one said a thing to me about the rapid weight gain or seemed concerned about it.  I always weighed between 100 and 110 lbs and now my weight is 170.  I feel like the pillsbury doughboy and nothing I have done (counting calories, cutting back on sweets, exercise) has helped.  It's so depressing because I never had a problem with my weight and could eat whatever and whenever I wanted to.  I just attributed the weight gain to getting older and my metabolism slowing down.  Now that I have researched zoloft and weight gain I see that there are so many people out there with the same problem.  I actually feel like there may be some hope for me after all to lose this weight.  I have also gotten tired of being tired all the time, no ambition or motivation, just feeling like a zombie with no emotions, not caring about much of anything, and also losing my ability to cry.  Can't shed a tear.  I have been tapering the zoloft for over a week now and did not take any today at all.  I am going to do one week of every other day of 25 mg and then cut it out completely.  The sooner I am off of this drug the better.  I can't wait, I just hope my metabolism kicks in again and the pounds start coming off.  I wish I had watched my weight when I started taking it, but I was just so glad to be feeling better that I couldn't care less about my weight, plus I was a little under weight to begin with and could hardly even eat when I started taking it.  I have read it takes two weeks for the zoloft to be completely out of a persons system after stopping it,so I should be zoloft free in a month.
Make sure you do not drink alcohol.  Based on my trials with all of these medications I found that I lose weight and appetite if I do not drink alcohol (not even 1 glass of wine!!).  My doctor says that is main reason people gain weight on these antidepressants!  They do not mix well together.  I lost 30 pounds when I stopped drinking while on these antidepressant meds...this is after originally gaining...plus remember most people are overweight and gain weight without taking any meds!  That is the norm..just look at all the fat people out there!  Also your metabolism slows over the years..so just use common sense  calorie intake is the key...exercise is WAY overrated for weight loss.  As a matter of fact, I see people get heavier when they exercise..they think they can eat more!!  Use exercise for stress relieve and heart! It's all what you eat!
I have been on Zoloft for about 12 years and have gained a total of 45 lbs.  I take 100 mg each day.  I also believe that this drug makes you gain weight.  I've had hernia surgery due the weight, and will have another surgery this summer.  Drugs effect people in different ways; so one person's experience is totally different than another's. There have been times when I exercise at least and hour a day, and have also gained weight.  I get so fed up with no weight loss that I sometimes just don't exercise at all.  It's so frustrating, especially when one is doing everything they can.  I can't go off the medication because I have anger issues, and can get very ugly.

I'm pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I don't know what I'm going to do.
I've gained 20 lbs in 2 years. I started Out on paxil and gained 6 lbs in a month. Went on zoloft soon after to stop weight gain. Did not do the trick! The weight has creeped up gradually, despite training for a 5k and other exercise.  I feel horrible about myself. Made a decision last night -- Calling doc on Monday to start tapering this med.
For me, I believe that zoloft has contributed to my weight gain.  I am an identical twin and have been on zoloft for the past year.  My identical twin has not been on zoloft.  Before zoloft we were the same size, size 0.  In the past year I have gained about 20 pounds.  At first, I was happy with the weight gain because I have always tried to gain weight and NEVER could.  Now whatever I do I can't lose it.  I have increased my fiber.  Eat a lot of salads with no dressing and workout.  The only difference between my twin and me is the zoloft.  Its too bad because the zoloft works well for my anxiety and panic but I will try to find a different medication now.  I was on Celexa in the past and didn't notice any weight gain on that.
Hi - I am currently in the process of weaning off zoloft (i'm down to 25 mg every other day instead of 100 mg every day). I was on zoloft for 9 months. In the first 2 months I actually lost 7 lbs, which is normal, as most people feel nauseated and have a hard time eating. After 5 months, however, my weight shot up by almost 20 lbs...which is a lot for someone with a very small frame like me. I am currently working on getting off zoloft, but I do caution everyone to do this very, very slowly. Withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms will be far worse than weight gain! I'm already noticing a difference in my body as I am getting off zoloft and I'm hoping to get back down to my trim 115 lb body!
I recently tapered off zoloft after being on it for 8-10 months. Like many people, I lost weight in the first month due to some of the side effects (feeling jittery, loss of appetite, nausea) but then gradually, overtime, the weight gain happened. At this point I think it was about 15-17 lbs that I gained. I have a very small frame, so that is quite a lot for someone used to being 120-125 lbs. Although I had no changes (and if any, they were improvements) to my workouts and healthy eating, the weight gain happened. Although I did gain weight, I was happy with the results that I felt from zoloft (managing anxiety) so I wouldn't take it back for anything. Right now I'm trying to go without any meds except for a breakthrough like klonopin as needed. It's challenging, but hang in there! I'm hoping to get my usually fast metabolism up to pace after getting off zoloft.

Also, seriously taper down with a doctor. DO NOT just stop taking immediately, you will need to taper down for like 3 months, at least. The side effects of getting off are really terrible, but if you are stressing about getting off immediately because of weight loss, be patient and taper safely with a doctor's advice. The weight will come off on its own.

Peace and love.
since you were on zoloft  for so long,i,myself am on my 12th  year,did you have any serious side effects when you went off.plus i never made the connection with the weight gain and zoloft,thank you because now im going to go speak to my doctor
I highly agree. It's really ridiculous that everyone is blaming their weight gain on this pill. First of all Zoloft doesn't have any calories which would be the only way to blame it for weight gain. I can 100% guarentee that everyone who claims to be eating healthy and working out but still gain weight are full of it. It's just impossible. it you need to lose weight subtract five hundred calories from your necassary daily caloric intake and you will loose weight. Slowly but surely, and just because you excercise doesn't mean you will lose weight, especially if you aren't eating correctly. I think you people should quit complaining and using Zoloft as your scapegoat and get off your but and be proactive about the situation. It's making you look and sound bad.
Here's my thought on it, if you are depressed you are likely to either eat for comfort or have no appetite due to depression.  Zoloft (and most of the others) are designed to level you out.  Sooo...that being said, if when "leveled" you let go of the emotional eating because you are no longer depressed or anxious then you are likely to lose weight.  If you can finally eat again because you are no longer depressed or anxious, you are likely to gain weight.  As for slowing down your metabolism, avoid naps!  Don't give in to the sleep side effects.  That's where the slowing of the metabolism comes from.  That and it defeats the purpose of the medication.  
It definitely isthe meds that have made me pile on weight. I am a regualr workout freak and eat really well. I live by a mantra that is 'do the right thing, most of the time' and I really do think about what I am eating and why. But since being on Zoloft 100mgs for the past year I have packed on the weight and can't seem to shift it no matter what. This has never happened to me before and it is depressing. I'm going to speak to my doc this week to try and get off of Zoloft and try something different or go med free.
I have been taking zoloft for a couple months. My appetite has changed..I'm not nearly as hungry for meals as I used to be...I'm actually losing weight which is ok. When I was on paxil a year ago I had to get off of it because I had gained 20lbs while on it. Zoloft was a better fit for me
Well according to medical experts you are incorrect. SSRI's do cause weight gain ,up to 25 pounds. It's so easy to judge others who are struggling, isn't it?
Hi, I have been on Zoloft since 2002 of May. It has been 8 years till i changed to a generic brand called Citalopram 20 mg for my low anxieties. I will be honest the 1st year i have been on Zoloft i have gained 20 pounds. I was sooo down with myself and how i felt, none of my clothes fit me anymore. I am 29 now and for the last 2 years my doctor finally gave me Citalopram and my water weight and weight dropped about 10-15 lbs. I am finally getting a decrease from 20mg Citalopram to 10 mg, i can not wait to completly get off of these meds. I have bad Medication Withdrawl (withdrawal) so i have to get off of them slowly since my body is sensitive to Medications. I hope to lose alot of weight once i get off of it. I did do Martial Arts kick boxing in 2004-2005 and did drop about 20-30 lbs. but it came allll right back again. I feel your complaints about this med and same with being on Birth Control after i got married i gained 20 lbs with that also. UGH damn these side effect medications with weight gain.
im 14 and have been on it for like a year and i cant eat anything like i cant hold down food much at all...im not sure it could be the revia but i lost alot of weight...i pretty much live off raw veggies cause thats all i can eat without getting sick...it was very upset that my butt that i loved was the first to go...i miss it alot...im on 150 mg of zoloft for PTSD that triggered probably every mental thing you can think of...and 100 revia for my OCD...but theres going to be side effects with all medication...
I would like to ask you how long you have been or were on Zoloft?  At the time of me starting to take it (say 4 years ago) and my subsequent weight gain, I was exercising for 1.5 hours a day and on a 1000 calorie a day diet.  If I reduced my calories by 500 - I would have been trying to live on 500 calories a day!!!  That seems a bit extreme and unhealthy to me.  The Zoloft HAS made me feel sluggish and tired all the time!!!  I'm not sure how you can claim to know as much as you do on this subject being that every single person is different!  If anyone has come away looking 'bad' it is YOU masonmike!!
I was like you... Stayed the same weight for several years. If I needed to lose a pound or to before a date or to fit into some super cute jeans, I would just jog a mile and I would be ok. Once I hit 30 that all changed. For me to lose a few pounds I have to eat right, and exercise constantly.I have been going threw that for the past 4 years. I have only started Zoloft in the last month and so far I haven't seen any weight change. I am thinking the weight gain, for me is just age.
Please consider that drastic weight gain or weight loss is unhealthy!
Every person responds to carbohydrates, fats, lactose, fructose, aerobic exercise, physical/mental exertion, bacteria, viruses, injury, environmental influences, situational influences, and most important, brain chemicals (including medications) differently because we are not genetically identical!  
If a doctor dismisses a patient with criticism that he/she is not dieting and exercising enough, the patient should find another doctor who specializes in mental health/disorders in conjunction with a counselor, nutritionist, and physical therapist/trainer, again, specialists in the field of brain disorders/imbalances.  
IMPROPER DIETING AND/OR EXERCISING CAN BE A CAUSE OF DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY, EVEN PSYCHOSIS RATHER THAN A SYMPTOM!!!--too few calories starve cells, worst of all vital calories for brain cells, which may trigger genetically inherited coping mechanisms.  In some people, insufficient calories may trigger fat preservation, food anxiety, irritability, depression and, in some cases, irreversible brain disorders. Some doctors/patients may be treating symptoms rather than the illness.  And let’s not discount the addictive components of prescription drugs that may cause depression, anxiety, energy, and appetite.
Good resources: National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Kartini Clinic kartiniclinic.com, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA).

No one should accept a prognosis that suggests we must choose skinny and depressed vs. fat and happy.  Our objective should be holistic physical and mental well-being for a well-balanced engaging and productive life with others.    
Hi pakita81144,

Did it help you a lot for your depression and anxiety?
I have been taking Zoloft 50mg for a year and a half & have gained 10kg!! I read all the comments prior to starting and dismissed it as people eating too much and not exercising...however my diet is better than its ever been & I'm working out four times a week..twice with a trainer...however I can't drop weight...1.5kg in two months! I've decided to go off the medication. I'm not happy being this heavy so I'll take my chances :/  disappointing that doctors are so readily giving out this drug...and constantly pushing to up the dose or stay on despite me feeling much better & wanting to come off them.
It appears that I am an exception.  I have lost 10 pounds since starting on Zoloft.  The big thing is that I watch what I eat and exercise on a regular basis. I run and cycle and try to keep very active.  I am 65 and participated in my first 1/2 marathon last month and am doing my second in a month.  Find yourself a good nutritionist like I did and get pointed in the right direction.  I have had an issue with my weight all of my life with my highest being 214 lbs and I am only 5'5".  I now weight 168, my lowest weight in over 30 years.  You can do it if I can.    
"Zoloft doesn't have any calories which would be the only way to blame it for weight gain? What? You're kidding right? Most medications in pill form are absolutely calorie free. That does not mean that the side affects from some medications cannot "cause" weight gain. 98% of the people here taking Zoloft have gained weight. Some eat super healthy and work out on a regular basis. You have some nerve telling these people to stop complaining and to get off their buts!
My 80 year old mother is in the hospital where there are experts. They put her on a medication 4 weeks ago and she's ballooned up 15 pounds already! She hardly eats.
So, don't pretend to be a Zoloft expert. You are not.
Nobody looks or sounds bad voicing their opinion here except maybe you.
I took Citalopram for several months and gained 30 pounds. I switched to Wellbutrin and in the last year have lost 52 pounds. I'm also now on Topamax for migraines, recently got put on a low dose of Klonopin to help with headache spasms, and then today I got started on 80 mg Geodon (which most people either lose weight on or stay weight-neutral), and 50mg Zoloft. I have severe PTSD, social anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and a borderline personality disorder. I manage to function on a mostly normal level daily but get easily stressed by loud noises, etc. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the first couple months that I was on Citalopram, everything was fine. It wasn't until I'd been on it for 6 months that I started to gain weight and there was no change in my eating habits. I don't have much of an appetite to start with. But I put on 30 pounds in about 2 months. So be careful.
I was prescribed Zoloft by my Dr for depression and anxiety 6 months ago, and since then I have gained 20lbs. There is nothing more depressing for me than gaining weight and my Dr refrained from telling me that weight gain was a possible side effect. I am so glad I have found this site because I thought I was going crazy and my body had betrayed me, and I had totally lost control. I think the weight gain is a combination of the Zoloft affecting your hormones which slows your metabolism, and in addition to this, makes you crave carbs and sugar. Just like some of the other members of this chat, I have gained flabby weight around my stomach and my face.
I exercise for 1-2 hours a day, 7days a week, doing cardio and resistance training and I eat healthy, but so far nothing has made a difference. I couldn't understand why, despite my healthy eating and exercise, I was gaining weight. It is the worst feeling in the world. I have not had a problem previously losing weight but the Zoloft has really stuffed up my metabolism and system. As soon as I found out that the weight gain was from Zoloft, I stopped the medication immediately and went off it cold turkey. I know you are not supposed to do that but there was no way that I was going to continue taking something which was obviously not good for me or my body or my mental health. I would rather be depressed than be overweight, and look for alternative therapies instead. I feel cheated by my Dr that I was not to
D that weight gain was one of the side effects. After I came off the Zoloft, I embarked on a 2 week detox and veggie juice and exercise blitz. This had no effect and I am still waiting for the weight to shift. It's extremely frustrating that this weight refuses to move as I am also quite an impatient person, particularly when it comes to my body which usually responds so well to my exercise and healthy eating. Does anyone know how long it takes for Zoloft to be completely out of your system? I stopped taking it 4 weeks ago and I have not lost a single pound.
I personally have not gained any noticeable weight while using the drug zoloft, however my weight seems to have been rather stable and maybe I am noting eating as much due to anxiety/stress eating. I don't eat as much due to anxiety. I did this sometimes when anxious but not as much anymore. If I am hungry I drink milk which doesn't hurt (you especially need calcium in your diet to avoid bone deterioration as you age). I take 50mg which isn't a lot and I took it mainly while in school, it helped a lot decrease my anxiety while as a student. I don't drink, or smoke so I eliminate that, however I do drink coffee, which also helps with anxiety.
I think I lost weight because I wasn't particularly trying very hard, this is maybe due to the caffeine, which does increase your metabolism a bit, it doesn't hurt unless you are sensitive to caffeine.
Your problem is that your calorie count is too low - you should never eat anything less than 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode and you can actually GAIN weight.
If you also check the side effects for zoloft weight LOSS is listed. I am a dietician and I will tell you that most people that I work with do not realize how much they eat. Its all about portion size and exercise. If you are not measuring your portions, then you are taking more calories than you say you are.
A lot of it is age. the older we get the more our metabolism changes and the harder it is to lose weight. I am running into the same thing for a total different reason and I am on zoloft for pmdd and post tubal ligation syndrome and its not helping so I am not sure what to do. I eat 1200-1500 calories daily and exercise daily - my suggestions would be to stop drinking pop, maintain atleast a 1200 calorie a day diet (anything under that sends your body into starvation mode), and aim for at least 150 minutes of exercise weekly - I do Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and that has helped me lose a little weight.