Weight Loss Alternatives Community
effexor withdrawls

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

effexor withdrawls

I am weaning off effexor and the withdrawls are HORRIBLE! If anyone is about to start taking it, research all of your options first. It is good for depression however if I would have known what it is like  to wean off it. . . I would have not started it.

I read a lot about how people gained weight when they first started it, but I was wondering if anyone has gained weight coming off of it? I did not have any problems when I started it but I am gaining weight fast right now and I have know idea why.
I am not sure about the weight...but my mom was on effexor and the doctor took her off of it and she went had a stroke and a seizure. Becareful!  Just wanted to fill you in on what I know!
I have been taking Effexor for 11 years actually lost a lot of weight when I started taking it.  I had a HORRIBLE time getting off of it but finally made the transition using Cymbalta.  I am now off of everything and I'm gaining weight like crazy!  It's horrible and I have no idea what to do about it.  If you get any answers please let me know, I am really struggling with this!
I agree with T81, please, PLEASE look at all other options before starting Effexor.  I wish I had been informed about the withdrawls BEFORE I began on this med.  Missing a dose or two has incapacitated me for 2-3 days even after resuming the medication.  I had such horrible "brain zaps" that I could not even drive my car.  They leave you unable to hold onto a thought for more than a couple of minutes at best.  Throw in the nausea, fatigue, confusion, weird vision stuff & you realize how screwed you really are.  I have been unable to get off the stuff as the withdrawls are too intense.  I have also experienced a slow, steady weight gain since being place on it almost 2 years ago, and like the other girls said, I carry the weight in my belly.  Not cute.

Please, try to avoid this drug under most circumstances or unless you are fine taking it for the REST OF YOUR LIFE.  
I was on Effexor for a total of eight years (4 years, a break for a few months, and then I was back on). I gained a ton of weight - about 100lbs in 8 months. It was nearly impossible for me to lose any of it, either.

I ended up coming off of it this winter because my resting heart rate increased dramatically, up to about 120 beats/minute. It freaked me out.

I came off of Effexor really fast (I just switched jobs and the new insurance doesn't cover brand name drugs). I went from 300mg to 0mg in three weeks. I was really prepared for it - I scoured the internet for tips.

I took high dosages of the Omegas, a daily multi (2x a day - because I absorbed nearly EVERYTHING in the first...Effexor saps you of everything), and a cal/mag/zinc supplement to help keep my immune system up. I drank a ton of water, mixed with Emergen-C for the electrolytes. I used dramamine if I had to, to cut the withdrawal symptoms. I drank protein shakes every couple of hours.

My doctor also prescribed Prozac at its lowest dosage. When I was on Effexor, if I missed my pills by four hours, I was in hardcore withdrawal. All of the symptoms you guys have - it was terrible. I was terrified to come off of the Effexor so quickly because I was SO sensitive to it - but honestly, it wasn't that bad.

I think that's because I was so prepared and really stuck with my routine...I can't tell you which of those factors was the most effective - I only know that in combination they saved me. I was able to work and function at about 70% (which is wayyyy better than being curled up in bed, sweating like a junkie). My first day off of Effexor was Thanksgiving. I slept a lot, and Black Friday I had to call out of work. Saturday I felt a million times better, and Sunday even more so.

My lingering side effects....I had pretty terrible hand tremors. They are still shaking now, three weeks later, and I drop stuff a lot. My short term memory has been sucking...it's hard for me to find the right word sometimes. I feel an odd dizzy/light-headed feeling sometimes.

For me, these are all extremely manageable. My withdrawal if I missed a dose was so severe that these seem like nothing to me.

I highly recommend the vitamin routine. Take a GOOD one - don't get synthetic vitamins; they're crap and you'll pee them right out. Go to a health food store and ask for a whole food multivitamin (they cost a little bit more but it's worth it in this case). I used the brand Rainbow Light. It has probiotics in it, which is good because your stomach may get messed up as you come off of it.

Also - the other best advice I can give you - drink a LOT of water.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
This drug has a start package and end package. You are to be slowly introduced to it, and whinned off with your last dose being a 3.75mg i believe. Ask your doctor if they have any trial packs. If you do the trial backwards its a very easy way to get off the drug.
I have been on effexor for about 5 years. After the first 2 1/2 years I decided to go off. Followed doctors orders and really only suffered mixed head i.e headaches, dizziness. When I first started effexor I was very nauseated but after about 6 months it went away. The highest dosage I took was 200 mg.
After about 4 months I need to go back on it - crying, anxiety. It has now been about 2 1/2 years once again and I would like to go off of it. Mainly because I do not want to be on it for the rest of my life. I am hoping that my anxiety and crying can be managed in other ways.  Thank you all for you in put into this drug. I have heard many good and bad things about it. I would say in my position, it did wonders for my day to day emotional being.
I've been on Effexor for about 6 years topping out at 300mg/day.  I started to gain weight right away...like 40 lbs!  My husband and I are trying to get pregnant so I wanted to try to get off of it.  I went off slowly over the corse of 9 months and when I did...IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!  I had "brain zaps" like crazy.  I couldn't drive, concentrate, watch tv.  I was super emotional and cried at the drop of a hat.  I've only been off of it for 3 weeks and I'm still experiencing withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms).  I know it takes time to leave your system but if I don't soon feel better, I might have to go back on it.  I feel like I have no coping skills, I'm emotional and I get irritated so easily. Is this normal and will it go away?
I have been taking Effexor for 15 years. (Started in 2007). On all these boards, seems I'm the "long timer"!

I am 48 years old. Got on it because of feeling depressed. I am 5'7". When I started I weighed about 122. I know weigh 145. Jeeesh. I suppose it could be age, lack of much exercise, and /or my sedentary job. So, not sure if I can blame Effexor. BUT, I used to have a super fast metabolism, which I don't seem to have now.

The Effexor has always worked for me. I started at only 18.75mg (I was taking the tablets the first 7 years, and spliting them in half). Then they stopped making them so I switched to the time released capsules (which were 37.5 and I could not split). So, I have been on 37.5mg per day for 7 years. I need to be off of them for a week in order to do a sleep study lab. I thought since it was a small dose, I would just stop. No! After skipping one dose, I realized THAT was NOT going to work (dizzy, cramps, spaced out feeling in the head, general STRANGE feeling). I ended up reading posts about counting out the little beads in the capsule. I took out half of the beads for a week. That was alot better than cold turkey - for sure! Now I am starting today taking out half of that. So I guess basically, I am starting on 9.37mg (about 15 little beads) today. I am having ZERO withdrawl (withdrawal) feelings. Hope to be off completely by the end of next week.

I guess it is different for everyone. Just wanted to share my experience because I see more horror stories on all of these boards - than my story. I suppose if I continue to feel good, happy, not depressed, once I am off of them completely ... I will just stay off. I honestly feel fine right now. Kinda hoping I lose weight too along the way of getting off of these! That would be very cool.

Good luck to everyone. My advise: count beads, go slow as you need to, don't just stop abruptly. :) Leslie