Weight Loss Alternatives Community
losing weight and concerned

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

losing weight and concerned

Hi, I just wanted to know if I should be concerned about my weight loss, or if I'm just getting worried over nothing? 9 months ago I started dropping weight at a gradual pace but I'm not trying...I've always been at a steady weight of 130, I'm 5'6 and this was a good weight for me but now I'm down to 118  and I have been eating the same as before.  I don't know if stress could be a cause or if I should go to my doctor to be checked out? Or am I just being crazy?  I just don't want to keep losing weight.  Any ideas? thanks
Hi Minnie,
I kinda got worried when I read your posting. Number one,  before I write anything else, let me tell you my limited amount of medical knowledge. I am an x-ray tech.. That's all. Nothing more. I feel better if I explain that first. Number two, these are only my comments based on my limited amount of experience as an xray tech..
I know of a couple of things that might cause you to lose weight.  That is if you're not trying and you're sure you haven't changed your eating habits. With me, stress will cause me to lose weight sometimes, depending on how stressed out I am. At least that's how I am.
So, number one. Have you had your thyroid function tested. The most common test is bloodwork. The blood test is to see if your thyroid is functioning too fast or too slow. Someimes if you lose weight your thyroid as too fast. That can make you lose weight along with a variety of other symptoms. If you go to the doctor, that's probably one of the things he or she would check first. The second thing that I know can cause weight lose without a person trying is a little scarier.  Before I tell you what that is, I urge you to see your doctor for a medical opinion from someone who has much more medlcal training than I. When a patient of mine says he or she has unexplained weight loss, as I said earlier I worry a bit. The reason is because, in addition to the over active thyroid which is not so worrisome, I think about perhaps cancer. Please, before you panic, remember I am only an x-ray tech.. Let me ask you again, are you sure you haven't changed your eating habits? Maybe you're eating less and just don't realize it.
Again, I urge you to go see your doctor if you haven't already. Please don't take my word for it.
Good luck Minnie.
Kelly
You should have your thyroid checked and other tests as mentioned above.  There's no need to assume it's cancer.  

Stress can certainly cause weight-loss.  Many people also tend to lose a few pounds in the summer when they are working outside and around the home more.  Be sure you are staying hydrated while working in the heat.  Some weight fluctuation is normal, though usually not to the extent of 12 lbs.

There are numerous possibilites that your weight-loss can be attributed to.  Your family history, age, and past and present physical condition are all factors that should be accounted for.  You should definitely be examined by a physician.  They will know where to proceed from here.  The only information you can receive on this board is speculative.
Hi Minnie

There are many reasons why you could be losing weight - again like Navy Mum I have a limited knowledge - but I wouldn't stress out too much. I would visit a Doc and get your Tyroid checked and check for diabetes - ( it's probably what they'll look for first anyway) but there is a strong possibility that there is absolutely nothing medically wrong - particularly if you have no other symptoms - like tiredness, frequently going to the loo, or anything out of the ordinary in this 9 month period. Talk to your doctor, a series of simple blood tests seems the way to go to put your mind at rest.  I went through a period of weight loss when I was in my Twenties up until then I had been borderline chubby, on a regular visit to my Doc he was concerned enough to get blood tests done - but there was Nothing wrong, I wasn't worried about the weight loss ( just glad I was fitting into my skinny jeans at the time!! vanity!)
But if you are worried - you're better getting it checked out, afterall the worry will probably drop more pounds off you.

All the best
Jane

Hello Navy Mom, are you still around??  I had an X-ray question for you... I would REALLY appreciate you getting back to me if you can, my email is trippy_chickk***@****.  I've been trying to find someone who is knowledgeable in X-rays... thanks so much.

Kristin