Weight Loss Alternatives Community
stomach pains after gastric bypass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

stomach pains after gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 months ago.  Two weeks after surgery I had my gall bladder removed and spent a week in the hospital with dehydration and pancreatitis.  I have had that same stomach pain a couple other times since pancreatitis.  Last week as I live by myself I had to call an ambulance as the pain in stomach was so severe.  They did blood work and said my pancreais enzymes were elevated a little.  Gave me pain pills and sent me home.  I had a cat scan and endoscopy which did not show anything.  Pain radiates to the back.  What should I do?  
I live in a small area and do not like the doctor that did my surgery.  Also.  I weighed 248 lbs at time of surgery, and am still losing but not trying.  I am now at 117 lbs.  Any suggestions????????

Please help

Cari
hi cari, my name is Steffany and i think that we are having similar problems.  i had my bypass back in 2004 and really had no problems until this past september. i woke up in the morning with the most excruicating and stabbing pain, the pain is located right in the center of my stomach, above my belly button, but below my chest.  it stabs right straight through to my back and down my lower back. i went through a colonoscopy, endoscopy, hida scan, ct scan and ultrasound. they told me it was my gall bladder and took it out, well, not even a month later, the pain came back, like it never left. i have lived on pain meds since then and have seen a gastroenterologist. i have not seen my original surgeon, basically because he is too far away. and in january they did another ct scan finding nothing, again.  now the other problem is i am almost 5 months pregnant, so i am limited as to what tests can be done on me. the dr. did put me on an anitbiotic xifaxin, and i have been on it for almost a week and feel no different. he really has no idea what it is. this pain has been over a week now. sometimes the pain will last for a couple of days and then go away, sometimes i wonder if it will ever go away.  but when i eat it makes the pain unbearable. does this sound like you? i have not found anyone who can give me answers, it would be nice to find out. let me know if this sounds like your symptoms. if you want, email me at ***@**** if this sounds like you. thanks for your time.

steffany
I had gastric bypass back in 2007. I too have stomach pain that no doctor can figure out. I was hospitilized for two weeks with it. I had two CAT scans, an MRI, an endoscopy, and laproscopy. Nothing could be found. My gastric bypass doctor ruled it as stress and sent me to see a pysch doctor. He put me on Effexor. Well, that didn't work either. I still have the pain in my stomach. Its been two years now. I take pain meds for it but there is nothing else anyone seems to know about the pain. My current doctor has taken me off the Effexor because he said I didn't need it. That my pain is real but its pretty much a mystery. Its not a constant pain, it comes and goes. It is right under my chest bone, at the top of my stomach. I have no gall bladder, it was removed in 2004. I no longer see my gastric bypass doctor either because I feel he didn't believe me about my pain. Any ideas, please let me know

Melissa
I had gastric bypass in 1998 and have been in severe pain ever since.  I've been to so many doctors in 3 different states that I don't think there's any docs left.  Most of the time the doc will see me once, decide I'm to complicated and won't see me again.  My pain is under my left rib, and goes straight thru to my lower back on left side.  I've been scoped both ways, re-opened,MRI, CT Scans, ultrasounds, etc., and nothing ever shows up.  My blood work always comes back with severely elevated white blood cell count, but all they do is give me pain meds in IV, nausea meds, and a liquid bag, then send me home.  If I eat when it's hurting it gets so bad that I'm completely disfunctional, I've even passed out many times over the years.  I've lost all hope of getting better. My pain doc has had me on Fentanyl 100mcg patches (highest dose made), and they no longer work, I also get norco 10mg every month as well, along with bentyl, phenergan, naproxen, etc.  Nothing works anymore. The doc now is fighting my insurance to pay for a pain pump. I don't want to live with it forever, but I'm out of options.  If anyone has any ideas PLEASE HELP!!!!  I can't hardly even take care of my kids. I had my tubes tied because the pain sent me into pre-term labor with all 3. My last one was only 4lbs, so I tied my tubes.  PLEASE HELP ME!!!  I'm so depressed!!!!
I am starting to feel like I made a mistake getting this surgery.  I had my surgery in May of 2009 and I have already  lost almost 90 pounds.  I am only 20 pounds from my goal weight.  Every thing was going great until 2 weeks ago when I doubled over in pain, the same pain everyone else has described.  Excruciating, stabbing pain above my belly button and below my ribs.  I just spent 9 days in the hospital and they removed my gall bladder.  I had every test known to man.  I woke up this evening with the same exact pain I was having before they took my gall bladder. I am so weak and every time I stand up I almost pass out. The pain meds are not relieving the pain.  I lost 15 pounds over the two weeks.  Does anyone have any advice.  I am desperate.
I was just told by an ER doc that since I still have my gall bladder, after my gastric bypass in 98', I should have a HIDA scan to check and see how it's functioning.  All of the symptoms fit....stabbing pain, hurts worse when I eat, etc.  I'll let everyone know what happens after I get it.  I have to get it approved by insurance 1st, but I pray this is the answer I've been looking for all these years, it's been over 11 now.  I have nothing to lose if it doesn't work and everything to gain if it does......like having some semblance of a life.
Many docs may not think it's your gall bladder since it's on your right side, but your pain is on the left, under your rib, gets worse with eating, and radiates to your back.  Even after you've told them you've had a gastric bypass they wouldn't think of it.  So if you're like me and had an intestinal bypass as well, your gall bladder, and other things, have been moved around.  My gall bladder is on the left.  Get a HIDA scan, and here's what gall bladder attack symptoms are.

GALLBLADDER ATTACK SYMPTOMS specifically

Please note that if you are in severe pain and particularly if your attack symptoms are accompanied by fever DO SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. The following symptoms are typical of a gallbladder attack.

* Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
    * Pain may radiate through to the back or to the right shoulder
    * Severe upper abdominal pain (biliary colic)
    * Nausea
    * Queasiness
    * Vomiting
    * Gas
    * Burping or belching
    * Attacks are often at night
    * Attacks often occur after overeating
    * Pain will often but not always follow a meal with fats or grease
    * Pain may be worse with deep inhalation
    * Attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours
I had my surgery in 2004 and have had a very similar set of pain sypmtoms that you all have described.  It sounds a lot like gallbladder but since we don't have one...I believe my pain is probably due to gas or a problem with digestion.  I have yet to go to the doc.  I have been keeping a food diary and writing down anytime i feel the pain, what i ate, how long after eating/drinking etc.  I wish everyone luck!  if anyone finds out whats going on let us know!
I too have been suffering this mystery pain on and off since March '09. I had GB 4/08 and have done wonderfully up until now. I still have no regrets, I just would like to figure out the source of this pain.

I've been reading many posts, on many sites, for many days now. What I've noticed is everyone seems to be focusing on the gallbladder when in fact, the symptoms seem to be more relevant to the pancreas. (I gathered that info from Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins Websites and a few other individual websites hosted by bariatric surgeons) And if not the pancreas then Google searches on the following possibilities: perforated ulcer, bleeding ulcer, and adhesions.

I go to see my pcp tomorrow and then the gastrointerologist Friday. These are areas of concern I'm going to have them focus on. I hope to have answers to share with everyone. There seems to be WAY TOO MANY of these mysterious cases and one of us NEEDS to find an answer and SOON! I don't know about you guys but the pain is KILLING me!!!

Take Care...Will be in touch soon!
Again Im experiencing same situation have been hospitilised 14 times in 9 months. Hwever I am now pregnant and limited to tests. I saw a surgeon today who suggested it may be a hernia due to the gastric bypass I had 2 years ago. I also had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago. The more I google this suggestion the more I see it is a symptom for some patients after bypass surgery. I have 2 kids and the pain is worse than child birth!

Kirsty
Yea, her we go again.  I had the surgery in December of 08 and was doing well, have lost 104 pounds and wan't to lose 40 more to reach my goal weight, but I intended on losing it  by eating small meals.  However, approximately 2 weeks now, I can't seem to eat anything or drink - except luke warm water.  I have the stabbing in the upper stomach soo bad that thinking about eating makes my stomach begin to hurt instantly.  No joke, and it's not mental.  I don't regret the surgery because I'm off of blood pressure and asthma meds but this pain in the stomach is a mystery to me.  Went to the surgeon and I think he thought light of it and told me to eat more frequently because acid was building up in the stomach and then once I ate, it was fighting against the food.  It kind of makes sense, but if I could eat more frequent without pain I would.  Please someone help me.  I don't want to lose weight from being sick
I had experienced this kind of pain within 4 weeks of having the surgery.  I had the Roun-Y.  This was back 6 years ago in May 2003.  The Internal Medicine doctor ran a variety of tests and such and discovered it was a diag of  "BLIND LOOP SYNDROME".  Below explains a little about it...

DESCRIPTION:

Blind loop syndrome (medical condition): A rare intestinal defect where there is a small loop in the intestines that allow digesting material to enter but not exit. The symptoms are variable depending on the size and location of the pouch.

Blind loop syndrome: stagnation of intestinal contents with bacterial overgrowth, producing substances that interfere with absorption of fat, vitamins, and other nutrients; usually occurs in a portion of small intestine that has been excluded from the flow of chyme. Such bacterial overgrowth interferes with BILE SALTS action, FATTY ACIDS processing, MICROVILLI integrity, and the ABSORPTION of nutrients such as VITAMIN B12 and FOLIC ACID.

A blind loop can be an inadvertent consequence of gastric surgery, such as Billroth II or Roux-en-Y procedures for ulcers and gastric bypass surgery for obesity. Operations on the small intestine and structural abnormalities sometimes can cause blind loops as well. And a number of medical conditions can lead to bacterial overgrowth, including Crohn's disease and scleroderma and diabetes, which can slow the rate at which food moves through the intestine.

A blind loop can trigger an escalating series of problems, including:

Poor absorption of fats. Because bacteria in your small intestine break down (deconjugate) the bile salts needed to emulsify and digest fats, the fat in food as well as the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K aren't well absorbed. This leads to diarrhea and often to steatorrhea — fatty, foul-smelling stools — as well as to weight loss and vitamin deficiency disorders. A lack of vitamin A can cause night blindness, for example, and low levels of vitamin D affect your body's ability to absorb calcium, which can lead to weakened bones.
Damage to the intestinal lining. Bacterial overgrowth harms the mucous lining (mucosa) of the small intestine both directly and indirectly. Toxic byproducts that are released when bacteria break down stagnant food damage the mucosa, as do bacterial enzymes themselves. This damage means that most nutrients, including carbohydrates and proteins, are poorly absorbed, leading to serious nutritional deficiencies.
Vitamin B-12 deficiency. Vitamin B-12, which is essential for the normal functioning of your nervous system and the production of blood cells and DNA, is absorbed in your small intestine. But proliferating bacteria actually use up the vitamin, reducing the amount that's available to your body. A severe deficiency can lead to weakness, fatigue, tingling and numbness in your hands and feet, and, in advanced cases, to mental confusion. Damage to your central nervous system resulting from a B-12 deficiency may be irreversible.
Brittle bones (osteoporosis). Both calcium and vitamin D, which aids in calcium absorption, are metabolized in your small intestine. Damage to your intestine from abnormal bacterial growth causes poor calcium absorption and eventually may lead to bone diseases such as osteoporosis.

HELP AND CHANGE IN DIET REDUCES PAIN SIGNIFICANTLY:
Doctors also may switch among different drugs to help prevent bacterial resistance. Ironically, because antibiotics wipe out most intestinal bacteria — both normal and abnormal — they can cause some of the very problems they're trying to cure, including diarrhea and an imbalance of bacteria in the digestive tract.

Nutritional support
Addressing nutritional deficiencies is a crucial part of treating blind loop syndrome, particularly in people with severe weight loss. But although malnutrition can be treated, the damage it causes can't always be reversed.

The following measures may improve vitamin deficiencies, reduce intestinal distress and help with weight gain:

Nutritional supplements. People with blind loop syndrome need intramuscular injections of vitamin B-12 as well as oral vitamin and iron supplements.
Lactose-free diet. Damage to the intestine may cause some people to lose the ability to digest milk sugar (lactose). In that case, it's important to avoid most lactose-containing products including milk and cheese, or use lactase preparations such as Lactaid that aid in digestion of milk sugar. Some people may tolerate yogurt because the bacteria used in the culturing process naturally breaks down lactose.
Medium-chain triglycerides. Trigylcerides are a type of fat consisting of a molecule of glycerol to which three hydrocarbon chains are attached. The chains vary in length, and the way your body processes triglycerides depends on the length of the chains. Most dietary fats are long-chain triglycerides. Food sources include many vegetable oils and animal fats, all of which are emulsified and absorbed in the small intestine. On the other hand, medium-chain triglycerides, found in coconut oil, are absorbed without the aid of digestive enzymes. Because they're more readily digested by people with blind loop syndrome, medium-chain triglycerides are sometimes prescribed as a dietary supplement.

ONCE THEY CLEARED IT UP WITH 10 WEEK TREATMENTS OF ANTIBIOTICS STEADY MY PAIN WENT AWAY AND ON OCCASSION I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE PAIN AND BEGAN FEELING TIRED AND I WOULD CALL THE DOC AND HE WOULD START ME ON A 2 WEEK ROUND OF ANTIBIOTICS AND IT GOT BETTER AFTER ABOUT THE FIRST 6 MONTHS.  I AM NOW 6 YEARS OUT AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PAIN SINCE 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE.

At about 6 months after having my bypass I started having severe stomach pain. The surgery was oct 2005. I did go to a gastroenterologist and found out that I had acid reflux. The pain was pretty bad. I also have a very tiny hiatus hernia. The doctor showed me the pictures. He said i'd had it a very long time. I told him I never had a problem with it until after the surgery. It was not caught with all the pre surgery testing either. The only pill that would work is nexium. Nothing else worked. But I still have lots of gas problems.
Hi all, I dont even feel like I need to post this, you all have said it for me. I too am post-op 12 months, my Dr. has scopped me 3 times because of my complaining about this pain. My family is sick to death of hearing me cry and complain all the time, from being in so much pain. I have evn gone so far to ask my husband this, should I buy some pot??? Crazy i know, but i am at my breaking point from this pain and will do anything to get some relief. I am so glad to read these posts and know I am not alone. My Dr. is no help and gets mad at me for complaining and his last response was this, i can reverse it and then you can just be Fat & in pain, good grief. I have lost 102 lbs, but agree, I dont want to have to be sick all the time to do it. This is not how I invisioned my life, when I dreamt of loosing all this weight. I stay in bed all the time, take 10 HOT baths a day and cant function normally anymore. God bless us all.
Hello everyone I was just reading the post and feel you all pain (literally). I had the gastric bypass in 06 and about a month later the pain started. I have been diagnosed with H pylori, Stomach ulcers, esophageal spasms, and other things. I have seen numerous docs and they do look at you like your crazy and psychotic. I think this is unacceptable to be treated this way I dont care how many times we go to see them. The docs took an oath to help the sick and that is their job. However the last surgeon I saw suggested I see a Thoracic surgeon he thinks I need my vega nerve cut because my pouch is producing too much stomach acid and my ulcers will not heal. I have been on antibiotics for about 2 years so obviously thats not working. I will encourage you all to keep pressing for answers and dont stop. This is your life and body. If we arent concerned enough about our bodies to keep looking for answers then who will. I will continue to pray for you all and myself. We are worth answers. God Bless everyone!
I also had gastric bypass in 2003 and had a revision in 2004. Had so many problems. I am now constantly in pain throughout my stomach. And as most of ya'll, they can not find anything wrong. I was on lots of pain meds, but now I am off them all and I'm miserable. Sometimes I hurt so bad I wish I was dead. And the doctors won't give me any pain meds or anything to take care of it. It interferes so much with my well being and my outlook on life. Sometimes I'd rather be fat again then to go through this. I need help and none of the doctors i've seen seem to know what to do. This *****!
Wow! I thought I was alone in this. I had bari surgery in April 09. I just had my gall bladder taken out in May 2010. Was still having problems with eating and pain ended up also having my apendix taken out. I have had 4 surgeries since May of this year. I am still having stomach pain and sick  to my stomach. Somedays I can't even get out of bed. My family too is sick of me complaining all the time. My doctor doesn't know what to do. I am SO upset. I take pain meds almost every day. I am tired of being sick to my stomach and having pain. I wouldn't wish this on ANYONE!
I too had surgery in 2000, I've been having this pain also, but mine is in the middle right under my rib case.  The pain gets so bad that My stomach seems hard, I can't breathe, my heart starts beating faster, and it doesn't matter if I've eaten or not.  Ive been to several doctors and all I ever get is meds for indigestion.  I'm glad I found this post, God bless all of you!
I TOO SUFFER FROM THE MYSTERIOUS SEVERE PAIN IN MY STOMACH. ALL LABS ARE NORMAL. I DID HAVE MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED IN MARCH OF THIS YEAR. THE DOCS SAID THE PAIN WAS RELATED TO THE GALLBLADDER...WELL IT'S GONE AND THE MYSTERIOUS PAIN IS STILL HERE. THE DOCS ONLY KNOW HOW TO MASK THE PAIN WITH NARCOTICS
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003 and had the normal after surgery surgeries - gallbladder and hernia repair.  Everything has been great and I have no regrets having the surgery, however for the past few months I have developed a stomach pain and I have an appointment next week.  I seem to have heartburn, gas, and pains so bad that I want to cry.  I am at a point right now that food is what seems to trigger the attacks, so I am not eating.  I hope to know more by next week, but so far I am concerned because from the posts, it seems as though doctors cannot explain these pains.....
I just wanted to say...everyone's post could have been written by me. I don't have all the answers...and I'm not sure I have THE answer but I wanted to put this out there...Have you all talked to your doctors about the possibilities that your abdominal pain is myofascial pain syndrome? I have severe abdominal pain (also Fibro, CFS, RA, etc.) and had gastric bypass 1/08. All tests normal...no one can find cause or reason. My doctor now... that I searched for until I found someone that would listen and do SOMETHING!...recently diagnosed me with myofascial pain syndrome and gives me trigger point therapy. I get injections in my abdomen on a weekly to monthly basis right now (sometimes they last...sometimes they don't) but in conjunction with pain meds...it is THE most relief I've had!! Sometimes I can go 4 days and actually feel human...with very little pain at all! Please do some research on MPS and Trigger Point Therapy and find a doctor that does it. The pain of the small injections is easy to endure compared to the abdominal pain we suffer without the injections. It so far is the only thing I've found that makes sense and fits. Not sure it explains why or how...but at this point I can't focus on that. I just know that with the numbing injections and the pain meds...my severe abdominal pain is gone or tolerable now, most days. Hope this helps someone! Here's some info I found while doing a search... http://www.myalgia.com/Treatment/Myofascial pain/Understanding MPS.htm
Wow, so many people with the same symptoms as me!  I had my surgery 15 months ago, and had my gall bladder out due to gall stones in March 2010.  After 2 or 3 months post op I've had occasional minor "stabbing" pain-- sharp and sudden onset that went away rapidly.  I kept mentioning them, but they were dismissed as part of the gall bladder problems.  I also have acid reflux, and take meds for that and some other things, too.  Now the pain is severe and random, lasts 2 or 3 minutes usually, and begins between naval and ribcage, then migrates to my right side.  Right now, it feels like the dull ache after you are getting past a stitch in your side from running.  It's bizarre, painful enough to take my breath away, and it is poo pooed by my surgeon who tells me to just "quit drinking coffee."  I'm weaning off coffee just to prove that's not the problem, or she won't listen to me.  Believe me, it's not coffee, although I'm sure the coffee doesn't help!  But I get pain from drinking tap water, too.  No matter what I eat or don't eat, it will hurt when it wants to.  I haven't found anything to link it too, either.  I wake up in the middle of the night with the pain.  yesterday I was in tai chi class and the movements made my belly start to hurt, so something is sensitive in there!  That Blind Loop Syndrome someone mentioned sounds like a possible answer; or a hernia, but, really, I don't care so long as I can get rid of the pain.  It's getting worse over time!

My best to all of you fellow suffers.
If you are having stomach pains and you have lost over or around 100 pounds the pain may be caused by the intestine collaping where it attaches to the stomach. You should get ahold of the doctor that did the surgery and ask if this could be a possibality. When you eat the food is getting lodged in the stomach and intestine because it is collaped and making it very painful when you digest your food this is an easy fix to the doctor that did the surgery. It happens to about 10% of the poeple that have had gastric bypass
Good luck to all.
KA
What is the easy fix ?
I just want to pray with you and every person (including myself) having pain in the gut following GBP.  "Dear Heaveny Father, in Jesus am, we come to You beseeching , You, oh Lord to look upon our situation of continuous pain, Lord.  Touch KareBear, the others on this blog, and others who've never written in for help, but who are experiencing abdominal pain they cannot control, oh Lord.  With the healing power that You appointed our Saviour to possess, Lord, I ask you to annoint Your people, and those gentile (further asking that those who don't know You, seek You).  Allow us, oh Lord, to touch that area causing pain and tell it 'PAIN, be thou removed in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.'  Forgive us our sins and anything which has caused offense against Thee and Thine perfect work.  Mend us, oh Lord.

And finally, Lord, please continue to bless the hands of physicians who practice to help change lives of people.  Let them be divinely given insight as the the causses and solutions.  In Jesus name I pray, amen."
Wow for me it is 324 am and I cannot sleep, I have had a gastric sleeve surgery 5 months ago lost 98 lbs and am in so much pain went to the ER yesterday they did a cat scan blood etc and nothing a shot of morphine and a kick in the butt to go home. I have a 2 year old that I feel bad for because all she wants to do is play and I am in too much pain to even look at any toys. God help us all!
To those who have posted recently: you have responded to an old, outdated thread from 2008.  The people who originally posted these comments may very well have moved on.  Rather than reply to an old thread, we recommend that people start a new topic to discuss the subject anew.  To do that, please click on the green "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.  This will get your post the attention it deserves.  Thank you.
omg This is me/  No Doc's acknowledge and I have found alcohol alleviates the pain which earned me a DWI after 30 years of a perfect driving record/  Will somomeone help us pleassssssssssseeeeeeeee, it hurts so bad and the weight is off all my numbers are good (blood workl) but I have destroyed my life m=by doing this surgery.  I hate this horrific pain!  I cannot keep functioning with it!  What are we supposed to do?  Help Help Help
I had a bypass in march 2011.  Over the last week or two I had noticed fairly significant pain in my stomach - mostly between meals..getting something in my stomach seemed to help.  However, before long the pain would be back.  Yesterday i grabbed a package of a generic prilosec thinking that too much stomach acid was the cause.  within 30 minutes of taking the prilosec the pain went away.  I took another one this morning and have been pain free all day.  : )  Give it a try.
hi i am 6 months out of gastric ypass surgery i actually see my dr the end of aug for the past 8 day i have had really bad stomach pains on the upper left side of the stomach under the breast .. not in the lowerpart my daughter had the same surgery 1 yr ago and says it is just gas... to date i have lost 60 pounds she lost 130.. feeling great except for this pain someoe tell me its just GAS...i will certainly tell my dr when i visit or i will prob just call to comfirm it.. thanks for listening.. i just took some beano hoping this is the prob i will let u know... lol
There is an article you can google......"if you don't have a gallbladder"  It has been a tremendous help to me as it seemed everytime I took a pill that we're not suppose to take I had the pain.  Please read the article---I haven't had pain in a few years and I had gastric bypass in 2002.  Hope this helps some or all of you......Sandy
I had the same exact problem 2 years after gastric bypass... excrutiating radiating pain, throughout my entire stomach, and back...  it was sooo painful (we're talking two ambulance emergency trips to the ER, and a couple visits to the doctor).   It would come on unexpectedly, a lot of times before i went to sleep, and range in pain from discomfort, to stabbing and unbearable.  

Doctors first told me I had "build up" and I should use an enema... which i completely disagreed with cause i was eating fiber like crazy.  Kidney stones was ruled out, as were problems with gall bladder. Scans didnt show much... or so they thought.

The problem.... SCAR TISSUE...  it took my third ER trip to NYU Medical center for the head of bariatric gastic bypass, Dr. Ren (she's been on Oprah folks) to sit down with the head of radiology,review an abdominal CT scan, and find out that I had scar tissue (which is meant to heal you and grows from the inside of your incision site) over-growing and attaching itself to a part of my smaller intestines.  It was literally choking off part of my intestines...  the pain was likely when the food i ate earlier reached that portion of the intestines.  My original gastric bypass was laproscpoic (5 tiny incisions)... but in order to cut out the scar tissue, they had to do full open abdominal surgery... the scar *****... but 5 1/2 years later, that ridiculous pain has never come back.  Supposedly, it's very common to have scar tissue issues after a surgery... especially abdominal.  You better have good doctors and a good radiologist to find it!
Hi. I know that this blog is from several years ago, but did anyone find out what is/was going on with ur body? I am 2 years post op and I'm having the same symptoms...... Pain from high under my left rib (in my pouch) all the way down to the bottom of my abdomen. The only thing I can do is take hydrocodone and curl up in a tight little ball and go to sleep.  Usually, by the time I wake up I feel better. But if I don't take meds, then I can be in excruciating pain and crying for 15-20 hours.  It is awful!!!  I don't know where to start as far as treatment or even going to a doctor goes.  This has been going on for about 6 months.  I'm wondering if specific foods are triggering it.  But i can eat something one day and be fine, and when I eat it the next day, it has me bent over.  I have tries switching to liquid diet to control it, but who can live that way?  Please let me know what any of you have found out since your last post or if you are still experiencing the pain.  Thx!!! Roxie
My story is the same as all the others.  I had gastric bypass in September 2005.  I lost about 70 lbs.  I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about two years ago, but pain in the abdomen and ribs is not the usual place for severe pain.  My newest Dr. wants me to get an Endoscopy, which I'll do on Wednesday.  Not sure if they'll find anything.  I'll let you know if they do.  I wonder about pancreatitis myself.  I've been on Prilosec since shortly after the bypass.  I've used alcohol as a pain reliever and I'm currently on Tramadol which isn't quite taking care of all the pain.  It's not bad for the Fibro pain, but not necessarily for the abdomen pain.

I hope they figure things out.
God Bless!
Annelle
Hello I to thought I was in this alone. I even was at the point where I thought i wascrazy I thought this is all in my head and I even thought my friends and family thought I was crazy. I had gastric bypass uly 21, 2009 and I have lost 170 pounds and I was feeling great about it until I started feeling this awful pain went to gastric doctors my family doctor a gyno he found that I had endometrious and I had a total hysterectomy at 36. I had to have a blood tranfusion after my surgery and I got a large blood clot inside after surgery so I was on pain meds for 3 weeks once off pain meds the pain returned and even worse. Ipratically lived in the ER I felt like the doctors thought I was crazy and that I was just coming to the ER for pain meds but I wasn't  was truly in pain and I felt like giving I when I would eat I was in extreme pain I would vomit and sometimes I would wake up with vomit in my mouth when sleeping. Sometimes I would be constipated and sometimes diarrhea. When I would go to the hospital they did all kinds of test they thought it was my gallbladder but the tests came back negative the gallbladder was fine. I also was admitted in the hospital at one time thinking that they where going to take out my gallbladder but when the tests came back negative the did a EGD to find that I had ulcers on my incision from my surgery so the put me on meds to help heal it and to help with the pain.
In August 20, 2011 I went to the ER very dehydrated couldn't eat was vomiting and in severe pain they did blood work cat scans and said that I had pancreatitis kept me in the hospital for 4 days kept me on pain meds and a liquid diet. I got out with med and pain meds and felt fine for a few days then a week later Iwas back in the ER with stomach pains the doctor made me feel like I was a liar and I was not really in pain but I knew my body I was truly hurt at this point I was ready to give up I told my husband I just wanted to die I could not take it anymore. Finally I went back to the ER on September 30, 2011 vomiting and in pain I couldn't eat and the doctor said he could admit me because of the vomiting but there was nothing they could really do so I went home with pain medication and stomach medicine the doctor also gave me a number to a bariatric surgeon because I am new to Florida. I called the surgeon and he requested al of my films from the hospital and went over them.
Ok so here where my story gets good after seeing about 100 different doctors and excessive visits to the ER I finally got an answer to what is wrong with me.
Today October 5, 2011  went to see the surgeon and he gave me answers he said that I am having problems from my gastric bypass from 2009 he said that I have something called BLIND LIMB!!!
Blind limb is where the gastric bypass is suppose to look like a lollipop but mine look like a candy cane. where the hook is on the candy cane the food sits there instead of going down to be digested.
I am so relieved to get an answer to what is wrong with me.

So I bet your asking what now well he put me on carafate medicine to help heal my ulcer he gave me pain medicine for now so that I could sleep he put me on protein shakes he told me only to have liquids and protein shakes set me up to check my blood work so he knows what I am deficient on before I have surgery. I have to go have another EGD done to make sure that my ulcer is healed before surgery I have to have revision surgery to fix the blind limb and then I will be ok.
No one is more happpier than I am right now just to get an answer to what is wrong with me and now I know that I am not crazy that I am really having pain and niow thank God I know that it can be fixed and I know what it is.
I wish you all luck and I hope that you get an answer because not knowing what is going on with your body is the worse feeling in the world.
Once you find out it is a great relief.
This is my very first time posting anything online. So bare with me please.
Just want to say that I too had extreamly severe bad pain on my stomach near the belly button area.... I would get into fetal position. only thing keeping me going was the pain meds, but that was only hidding the problem.  After going to several doctors and specialist, I ended up going back to the surgeon who performed the gastric bypass who was able to give me a diagnosis in less than 3 minutes.  I had a STRANGULATED INTESTINAL HERNIA (which is very common after gastric bypass surgery).  This is something that must be taken serious.  I almost died.  Had this hernia erupted, who knows what kind of life I would be living right now had I survived after it erupted.  Seek help now!!! make sure this is not the problem you are having.  Go to a specialist in bypass surgery.  I went to several Gastroenterologist who had me get xrays, ultrasounds, and even endoscopys, and did not end up finding this issue.  Hope the best for you all.  My only problem now is gaining weight again :(, but I am alive.
I have had same pain. Had my gallbladder out 1 yr ago. I am 3 months post op sleeve surgery. I have been hospitalized 2 times and 5 ER visits. I took Bentyl for IBS, which I never had before. It worked... My horrible pains are gone.
Hey all
In january 2011, I went to the hospital with sharp pain around my appendices, so a few days later had that removed. While in the operation they accidentally sniped my bowls, which led to adhesions (scar tissue) which then led me to a cutting out some bowl and having bypass. Since then, I've been to the hospital about 5 time and spent a week on each visit due to real,y string pains. The doctors/surgeon did the same test over and over. I've Had CT scans MRI, X rays, ultra sound ect. After not being able to find anything, they then told me that they had no idea why I had this pain and that I had to deal with it on meds.
As time went on my pain started getting worse and worse. So I jumped online and looked for the best bowl dr in Australia, and found a prof. In Richmond.
Anyhow, cut a long story short, I turned out where they did the bypass from wasn't t the end of the bowls but about 10 cm from the end, so in time that 10cm of bowls that wasn't getting used, was just filing up with infection and bacteria.
Now theres a chance that I'll have to have another surgery to fix e problem, but I'll find out about that next week.
In My experience never trust public surgeons or doctors. Private is the best way.
I know some of these posts are older, but just wondering if anyone has found the answer.  It sounds just like the pain my daughter is having.  She had an internal hernia repaired in the beginning of Oct 11, felt fine for 1 month & then the pain started again.  Goes from her stomach right through to her back.
Any one get any answers ?
In 2004 I had Rou-En-Y Gastric Bypass & have endured pain since then.  Have had multiple surgical interventions from expl. lap to possible hernia repair & lysis of adhesions.  To no avail, I live on pain meds such as Hydrocodone which I hate and have exhausted all the Bariatric Surgeons I could think of.  It was a horrible feeling knowing you are in pain & no one can diagnose you.  Well Friday I finally found out my pain source & what's so troubling is that it was so obvious on the GI study with contrast done that it baffles me.  Turns out that the source of my pain is BLIND LOOP SYNDROME. I don't have the weight loss associated with this but I believe it is attributed to my sedentary lifestyle because I am in pain day/night which is even difficult to walk. Add depression to it and it worsens.  Hope this info. works. BTW my insurance company wants a 5,000. copay in order to have this repaired, smh.
Please read.  My daugher had gastric bypass surgery.  About 6 years after her surgery she started having acute pain in mid abdomen, radiating to back.  She was admitted after one episode and treated and sent home.  Then about 9 months later it started again.  She had gall gladder surgery on a Thursday and died the following Saturday at home.  She had peridontitis from a ruptered ulcer in the part of her stomach that was bypassed.  If you have this type of acute pain it is very, very important that you get to your surgeon immediately.  The er doctors do not know what to look for.  In all of her scans the ulcer did not show up.  It only showed up in the autopsy.  Go to your original surgeon.
Try taking omeprazole, it's an acid blocker. The pain you are all describing is exactly what I have been suffering from since around seven months after my by-pass surgery until now. No doctor could tell me what it was or what was causing it. I can't remember how I stumbled upon this miracle, but it is the only thing that can stop the pain long-term. It always comes back if I stop taking the omeprazole, but it often takes up to two months to do so. Take one pill a day (14 days is the recommended dosage time frame) until your first pack is gone, then take one pill a week to keep it from returning. I swear this works, guys and gals. Plus it's a hell of a lot less costly than everything you are all trying...
My daughter also had the pain you are describing.  After 3 CT scans, the 3rd one showed that her intestines were wrapped around her colon.  The Dr said that can happen with a big weight loss (She lost 237 lbs).  They operated on her & she felt great....for 1 month & then the pain started again.  She said it felt just like the pain before the surgery.  They did a CT scan again and nothing showed up.   The surgeon said it could be food caught in her intestines and it should pass and he did not think her intestines would twist up that soon again.  We waited 1 week & when she was still in pain, the surgeon said he would do "exploratory surgery" to see what was wrong.  Turns out her intestines were twisted again AND THAT NEVER SHOWED UP ON THE CAT SCAN.  Just wanted to let you know she also had an endoscopy which showed nothing wrong either.
That 2nd surgery was in Nov 2011 and she has been OK since.  If she ever (and hopefully not) gets this pain again, I will bring directly to the surgeon.
Hope this helps and good luck to everyone.  
I just read your comment. I am so very sorry for your loss! I had the rny 4/2010 and have been sick since. i was at 260 pds and am at 131 with constant diarrhea and abdominal pain for as long as i can remember. since the surgery ive had 2 kidney stone operations, gallbladder removed, was in the er for dehydration idk how many times,i have 2 ulcers, and so much more. my depression and bipolar has gotten worse. im sick a lot and cant hold a full time job. ive been trying to find another bypass surgeron cuz the one i have does nothing for me. his team is horrible. i live in IL and had the surgery done here. i regret gettting this done everyday i wake up. i am afraid of dying. and i have 2 girls, 5 and 14. it broke my heart to hear you lost your daughter. God rest her soul.
I am a Registered nurse who had my bypass in 2009 with no complications until 2010 when I had the same pain you describe.  It was intermittent at first and then it became continuous.  I ended up undergoing an internal hernia of the Mesenteric area of my small intestine.  I had this repaired and the pain went away.  Do research on this and you'll see it's a lot more common after gastric bypass than you may think.
I have 4 children last one 10lbs no anesthesia, so I have a high tolerance for pain, but this pain floored me because the bowel was incarcerating.  This can be life threatening so please have it checked out.
Good luck!

Timeka
I am a Registered nurese who had my bypass in 2009 with no complications until 2010 when I had the same pain you describe.  It was intermittent at first and then it became continuous.  I ended up undergoing an internal hernia of the Mesenteric area of my small intestine.  I had this repaired and the pain went away.  Do research on this and you'll see it's a lot more common after gastric bypass than you may think.
Good luck!

Timeka
All of your symptoms are consistent with an internal hernia of the small intestines (mesentry)  Even a CT scan won't show this.  You must opt for the exploratory laparoscopy so the surgeon can see the tear and fix it.  There are two possible places for the tear the Peterson's point and the mesentary.  I ended up having the procedure twice because I had a hernia in both places.  Remember an internal hernia is just a protrusion of an organ or intestine through an opening such as one caused by a tear.
Good luck, trust me I have tried every test known to man and this proved to be the fix.  I knoW your pain.  I was sleeping sitting up because it hurt too bad to lay down.
Contact your surgeon immediately!!!!!  This can be life threatening if the intestine strangulates or incarcerates.

Timeka
i am lying in bed now with same paineven round my back bones it hurts comes and goes it really makes me fill weak and ill does it help if you berp or pass wind im not sure weather to go hospital or not x v
omg look like we are all getting the saim pain im lying in my bed with it now wondering weather to go hospital or not is it any better when you berp or pass wind i think my band might have slipped i have a band as well as bypass help x rosielea
mell exzactly same pain and al round back what is this pain we all have im in bed with it now  
My sister wrote about my niece having her intestine twist around her bowel.  It was repaired and a month later it happened again.  This was November 2011.  Well last week it happened again.  Drs. went in laproscopically and untwisted repaired something else and was confident it would not happen again.  Guess where she is today, a week later?  Yup back in the hospital.

Pain is exactly like everyone describes, starts in the stomach and radiates to the back.  I swear half the docs don't believe her.  But we can tell she is in agony.  

All labs come back normal, it only showed up the first time on the cat scan, not subsequent times.  

Is this going to happen forever for the rest of her life?  She can't live that way.   No one can.

Answers need to be found for everyone who this is happening to, it is disabling and not fair.  

Today they were going to do an ultrasound and tomorrow a CAT scan.  My bet is they find nothing.

What gives????
I had gastric bypass five years ago. I lost 150 pounds. I have been in the hospital more as a skinny lady than I ever was as a fluffy lady. Last month I was hurting so bad called my gastric bypass dr. I had been in pain for five days. I wanted to make sure I wasn't constipated I drank stuff that cleans you out and knew wasn't constipated. At time I called dr I was not throwing up. By the time my hubby got home I was throwing up. He called dr got answering service and told her to tell dr he was taken me to ER now wasn't going to wait for test the next day. I had acute pancertitis.spent four days in hospital. Follow up from hospital stay was ten days later I'd been hurting on left side going around to back. He did blood work levels were normal that was Friday. Monday I was back at dr office blood work again levels were high again. The next day started throwing up again. He wanted to admit me to our local hospital but test the next day was in town 67 miles away. Told me to go to ER and dr W would admit me.problems getting blood dr refused to call dr W. Was giving a morphine shot sent home back to hospital next day for test MRCP sent home and Dr Admitted me back in the hospital.they put in a Picc line which was great IV fluids and blood could be done with out poking me. Dr made mistake of giving me choice to stay in hospital or go home. Sunday was Easter so I chose o go home. I'm sick of liquids and mashed potatoes and cream of wheat and yogurt. I'm taking tramadol 50mg for pain and it isn't touching it. It the pain kept me up all nite. This morning I ate and a hour later I had to pull over and throw up. I wanted to know how much I had thrown up a cup and a half.
    I love my gastric bypass dr he is a fine Christian dr. This has him baffled. Have had ulcer bout two years and it hasn't healed.on protonix and carafate
HAS IT GOTTEN ANY BETTER? I"M 8 MONTHD OUT AND FEEL THE SAME WAY. JUST DRINKING WATER (TAP) HURTS MY STOMACH.
I had gastric bypass in 2003.  I did great up until about a year ago.  I began having severe epigastric pain that went straight through to my back.  I was in and out of the hospital with no clue what was causing it.  My last hospitalization I spent 2 weeks in with testing that was all normal.  My MD makes me feel like its in my head yet I lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks which I didnt need to lose.  Im scheduled for a gastric emptying study at the end of May which Im hoping they find something so I dont think im losing my mind.  Has anyone had this test????
My daughter had gastric bypass on June 19,2012, and now she went to er  for stomach pain, even drinking water , they gave her carafate, hopefully it will work, and I read somebody with that med, only was on liquids for a little bit, I will do the same.
Hi all, I am an RN and had Roux-N-Y done in 2003 with a good weight loss that I have maintained, have gained 20 pounds back is all.  About 5 years ago started having intermittent abdominal pain that increases in severity,  It would go away for a few days or even months and then return.  The last few months it has been almost constant.  Wakes me up during the night, starts out in the morning pretty minimal but by late afternoon is severe.  I go to work every day and then go home and lay in the bed and cry.  I feel like no one believes me and none of the doctors seem to have a clue.  My bariatric surgeon left the area for parts unknown after several law suits.  I truly don't know what to do.  I am a tought person with high tolerance for pain but I don't think I can do this much longer.  Went to the ER this week and was told it was a gastric ulcer.  Wants me to have yet another EGD.  I have had 10 or more of them and colonoscopy and CTs and flat plates of abdomen.  This pain starts in the mid epigastric region, radiates to my back and migrates to the entire abdomen.  I get very bloated with hyperactive bowel sounds.  Any suggestions?  I wish I had never had this surgery now!!!
Strangely enough I have had very similar pain. No amount of meds seem to help. Pain is where my gallbladder used to be, but also rradiates up into my armpit region and down my back, sometimes shooting down my leg. Everything on the right side of my body is painful. At times it will be worse, for lack of better wording, an attack of whatever it is. This past time was probably the worst, left me in so much pain and, strangely enough, very bloated. I've seen so many doctors and been hospitalized. I go to the Cleveland Clinic in a little over a week and PRAYING they have some idea why my body is failing me. I can't walk at times because the pain is so bad. I am also wondering if gastric bypass was what I should have done. Happy with the weight loss, definitely not the pain. Anyone have any ideas I've overlooked?
I had similiar pain(s)...I had my gastric bypass in July of '11 and exactly one year later abdominal pain(s) primarily in the stomach area and under the left side of my ribs...gallbladder was removed prior to gastric bypass. My diagnosis after CATscan revealed a perforated ulcer AND a larger umbilical hernia...I had to have both surgeries at the same time. Other than some pain still as a result from I believe the large hernia surgery, I am better (I pray) I actually went back to work on light duty after two weeks. I wish everyone well. If you have NOT had a CATscan, have it done, I believe this will reveal any perforated ulcers.
I had a gastric bypass three years ago and have lost 90 poinds. I have had the same pain as all who have written on this site. The doctor removed my gallbladder a few weeks ago and then said the EGD showed two hiatal hernias and that my pouch was enlarged and I should get a traditional revisional surgery. Has anyone had this done? If so, did it help the pain?
I am not having the stomach pain as much as before after removal of the gallbladder. But I do have chronic constipation and that really concerns me.
I am going to a specialist this week but main concern is whether I should even have the revisional surgery with this constipation and stomach issue?
Any replies to assist me with my worries would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there, don't know if this reply will find you but I too have developed debilitating abdominal pain.  Had many tests to no avail.  I have a doctor appointment with a new doctor from my surgeon's office to discuss.  By reading many internet blogs I am not hopeful that there is a cure.  I have had several doctors tell me that this is something I will have to live with.  I have never known this kind of unrelenting pain!!!  All the doctors seem to want to keep pumping more pain pills into me.  That's no solution!!  I had morphine and percosets while being put into the ER and they did not stop the pain.  Do you know of any support groups for people like us??  BTW way everything else is healthier for me so the surgery was a success in that respect.  Take care and much luck to you~Georgiana
I'am so amazed that so many people suffer from this debilitating mysterious pain, especially since all have had a Gastric Bypass. In going through all the posts there was one answer that made a lot of since to me called the Blind Loop Syndrome. Which actually can be caused from a surgeon who unintentionally through surgery creates the blind loop. I have had (3) Surgeries beginning with Gastric Stapling (1978) never had a problem with pain after that surgery but as soon as they revised me to the Gastric Bypass (1980) about a year after I began experiencing the pain...My pain begins in the back and radiates up under the top of the middle of the stomach right under my breasts...I have tried everything to make this pain go away which includes sticking my fingers down my throat to make me throw up and this actually worked for several years but doesn't anymore. The pain lasts for up to an hour or more and leaves me completely exhausted. I began having the pain maybe once a month and now I experience sometimes once or twice a week. I feel it coming on and I can tell when it is subsiding and leaving me. To me it feels as if I have an obstruction of some kind and that the obstruction sooner or later passes and the pain subsides. It is horrible. I have to unhook my bra and pants or I will actually feel like I'm going to pass out from the pain...I had a 3rd surgery to a distal gastric bypass in 2009 and since then I get these attacks way more often. What is really horrible is that the pain medicine that the Dr.'s have given me actually bring one of these attacks on. I remember receiving a lortab from my dentist for some work he did and this was a couple years after my Gastric Bypass Revision, after I took this pain med I began to have an attack...So not only do I get them just randomly but if I take pain meds I will get one and it is the exact same kind of pain either way...Bariatric Surgeons need to study this as it is a common problem for GB Patients...My Daughter had GB Surgery and now she is going through it and being tested with everything under the sun and I told her I hate to tell you Sis but they won't find anything I can almost guarantee it...I believe it is definately something that the surgeons do while doing the GB Procedure that creates this because it doesn't happen to all patients but it is happening to a large percentage of patients...You can just look on this site and see that and there are tons more....
I had the sleeve surgery done on the 24th Sep. Now I am having a pain and tenderness above the cut, I wasn't feeling it before. Is this normal?.
Hi Marshafacey,

I had gastric bypass around a month and a half ago.

Yes, you will feel tenderness under the cut this can be expected for a few weeks more.
Hi Texas Angel,

Take a look at spincter odi dysfunction. It fits all of your symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphincter_of_Oddi_dysfunction

Good luck
hi Stephanie, I has gastric bypass back in 2006 and a correctional surgery in April of this year where they found two gaps in my intestines and a bunch of scar tissue they had to remove. I have the same pains you have, my Dr.s have done evrything they can, tests, endoscopys, etc., and still can't find anything.  I have these spurts of pain sessions that put me in the emergency room and all they do is treat it with protonix, daladed, and zofran.  I also live on pain meds as these pains do not seem to go away.  I am also looking for an answer. I have lost 100 pounds but sometimes I wonder if it was worth it after allI have been through. The pains are in my upper stomach above my navel and below my chest, hard to explain what it feels like but it will ruin your entire day. I just was in the ER last night for the same reason, I don't think the Dr.s there understand what we go through and sometimes think we are just there for the pain meds.... Does anyone else have the same problem?
I had gastic bypass 2/14/12 and I have been having the same pains. Went to the ER they did a ct scan and couldnt find anything said if pain gets worse come back and sent me home. Next day the pain was even worse. Went back to the ER where i sat in the waiting for for an hour for a lady to come out and tell me to go see my pcm ( primary care manager .... or main dr ) so i went and seen here. She pushed on where my new stomach is located and the pain was so intense it made me cry right then :( She told me to go back to the ER and dont leave til i see the on call surgeon.. So i went back seen the surgeon just for him to say he doesnt know why i am in pain gave me pain meds and sent me home once again. Its crazy that there are so many of us that have this mystery pain and yet no one seems to know what it is from. I go back tomorrow to see my main surgeon to see what they say. He thinks its a possible Ulcer. But we shall see tomrrow. Will keep you all posted.
I had Gastric bypass rRNY IN SEPT 1997, I have experienced on an off stabbing stomach pains ever since. The one thing that does work is 1 TBSP RAW APPLECIDER vinegar( must be raw and not processed) with about 4 oz of water drink and it  quickly and it goes away instantly. Sometimes u have to repeat it several times a day but it has kept me able to work and live after surgery, I keep a mixture in a water bottle with me at all times. Hope this helps someone
You have a bowel obstruction. The pain described as" the most excruciating and stabbing pain, the pain is located right in the center of my stomach, above my belly button, but below my chest.  it stabs right straight through to my back and down my lower back" is exactly the symptoms of a bowel obstruction. It can cause death if not treated. You must tell the ER that you are a Gastric Bypass patient and you believe you have a bowel obstruction. They must open your abdomen to correct this. This is most common in patients that have multiple abdomen surgeries and is caused by adhesions of the bowel to the scar tissue from your operations. It will cause your bowel to twist like a garden hose and nothing will pass. It can also be a partial obstruction which will still allow passage of waste but it will eventually cause a backup. You MUST go to the ER if this is your situation.
not sure if our pain is the same but i too have this type and am getting NO answers!
this is me to a tee just like all of u under the rib cade sever pain radiats into the back i thought i was going to pass out it does not happen all the tme maybe 3 times its ha[ppend i have my surg 17 months ago lost 150 in like 9 months im 150 now i spoke to me doctor when you get your gallbladder removed a stone can stay in the passage way and if you eat something your not suppose to it will aggrivate it and it will go up and down the passage way and feel like your having an attack it can be brutal that could be what is happening to some not all i hope this help
I am 3wks post gastric bypass surgery. I started my pureed food phase . the first night I got dumping syndrome. it lasted 3 days. everything I ate made me sick. I tried everything  to help with the stomach pain. nothing helped. finally I got beano. it helped but now Im afraid to stop taking it. don't wont to hurt but cant take it forever. can someone give me some advice
I hope you can read this... Go to the doctor, or find an experienced bariatric surgeon... It sounds like you have what is called petersens defect, an internal hernia which is extremely difficult to find in gastric bypass patients! Go now! If you don't find it there can be fatal complications! Go and asked to have a laproscopy looking for petersens hernia, or in the least for the doctor to do an investigative laproscopy... A doctor on a hunch saved my life and found this as well as removed my gallbladder, and cleaned out my bowel ducts, and had to realign my whole bowel it was twisted around my new little stomach! Don't delay... Go now!  If you want more jnfo google petersens defect xxx
I truly can relate to everyone's pain and frustation. I too have had GB, 12/2012 and I remember waking up from the surgery with pain in this area that never really went way, the pain lessened with time but I was never able to ware anything tight around that part of my waist. After 6 months the pain changed from just being there to a horrific, stabbing, cramping pain that sent me immediately to the ER. As I am in the waiting area screaming in pain, the nurses first have to rule out if I am just there seeking pain meds. Once they take their time and figure out that's not the case, the finally call me back and want to ask me a ton of questions that I said I would gladly answer If they would first just make this pain go away. The agreed, gave me Dilaudid and the pain subsided, thank God! The tests began and like everyone else nothing was found but then they refocus their efforts on other things like your iron or potassium is low so lets admit you for that but in the mean time I'm still in pain. After many many trips to the ER and many hospital stays, I am yet to find out what sourse of the pain is. I had surger this past June because they said it was an Intussusception, they were conviced that is what it was so I went and had the surgery and low and behold 8 weeks later I was back in the ER with the same damn pain. I have been tested for everything and everything is fine. The last hospital stay which was just las week, they got stuck on my gallbladder and insisted it be removed. I argured that it wasnt the problem and after the HDIA scan and it came back normal I was right and was able to save my gallbladder. I think they didnt know what else to do. My question is, what are we supposed to do for the pain? They don't want to prescribe anything strong enough to help. So I am forced to return to the ER each and everytime this pain flares up which is averaging every 6-8 weeks. I was told I can no longer have a CT Scan because I have had too many and to have MRIs, ok that's great but my insurance isnt so quick to approve MRIs. I am at work today after being out all last week dealing with this pain, I'm sitting her typing withing with my stomach in pain. Is this my life?