stomach pains after gastric bypass
I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 months ago.  Two weeks after surgery I had my gall bladder removed and spent a week in the hospital with dehydration and pancreatitis.  I have had that same stomach pain a couple other times since pancreatitis.  Last week as I live by myself I had to call an ambulance as the pain in stomach was so severe.  They did blood work and said my pancreais enzymes were elevated a little.  Gave me pain pills and sent me home.  I had a cat scan and endoscopy which did not show anything.  Pain radiates to the back.  What should I do?  
I live in a small area and do not like the doctor that did my surgery.  Also.  I weighed 248 lbs at time of surgery, and am still losing but not trying.  I am now at 117 lbs.  Any suggestions????????

Please help

Cari
Hi. I know that this blog is from several years ago, but did anyone find out what is/was going on with ur body? I am 2 years post op and I'm having the same symptoms...... Pain from high under my left rib (in my pouch) all the way down to the bottom of my abdomen. The only thing I can do is take hydrocodone and curl up in a tight little ball and go to sleep.  Usually, by the time I wake up I feel better. But if I don't take meds, then I can be in excruciating pain and crying for 15-20 hours.  It is awful!!!  I don't know where to start as far as treatment or even going to a doctor goes.  This has been going on for about 6 months.  I'm wondering if specific foods are triggering it.  But i can eat something one day and be fine, and when I eat it the next day, it has me bent over.  I have tries switching to liquid diet to control it, but who can live that way?  Please let me know what any of you have found out since your last post or if you are still experiencing the pain.  Thx!!! Roxie
My story is the same as all the others.  I had gastric bypass in September 2005.  I lost about 70 lbs.  I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about two years ago, but pain in the abdomen and ribs is not the usual place for severe pain.  My newest Dr. wants me to get an Endoscopy, which I'll do on Wednesday.  Not sure if they'll find anything.  I'll let you know if they do.  I wonder about pancreatitis myself.  I've been on Prilosec since shortly after the bypass.  I've used alcohol as a pain reliever and I'm currently on Tramadol which isn't quite taking care of all the pain.  It's not bad for the Fibro pain, but not necessarily for the abdomen pain.

I hope they figure things out.
God Bless!
Annelle
Hello I to thought I was in this alone. I even was at the point where I thought i wascrazy I thought this is all in my head and I even thought my friends and family thought I was crazy. I had gastric bypass uly 21, 2009 and I have lost 170 pounds and I was feeling great about it until I started feeling this awful pain went to gastric doctors my family doctor a gyno he found that I had endometrious and I had a total hysterectomy at 36. I had to have a blood tranfusion after my surgery and I got a large blood clot inside after surgery so I was on pain meds for 3 weeks once off pain meds the pain returned and even worse. Ipratically lived in the ER I felt like the doctors thought I was crazy and that I was just coming to the ER for pain meds but I wasn't  was truly in pain and I felt like giving I when I would eat I was in extreme pain I would vomit and sometimes I would wake up with vomit in my mouth when sleeping. Sometimes I would be constipated and sometimes diarrhea. When I would go to the hospital they did all kinds of test they thought it was my gallbladder but the tests came back negative the gallbladder was fine. I also was admitted in the hospital at one time thinking that they where going to take out my gallbladder but when the tests came back negative the did a EGD to find that I had ulcers on my incision from my surgery so the put me on meds to help heal it and to help with the pain.
In August 20, 2011 I went to the ER very dehydrated couldn't eat was vomiting and in severe pain they did blood work cat scans and said that I had pancreatitis kept me in the hospital for 4 days kept me on pain meds and a liquid diet. I got out with med and pain meds and felt fine for a few days then a week later Iwas back in the ER with stomach pains the doctor made me feel like I was a liar and I was not really in pain but I knew my body I was truly hurt at this point I was ready to give up I told my husband I just wanted to die I could not take it anymore. Finally I went back to the ER on September 30, 2011 vomiting and in pain I couldn't eat and the doctor said he could admit me because of the vomiting but there was nothing they could really do so I went home with pain medication and stomach medicine the doctor also gave me a number to a bariatric surgeon because I am new to Florida. I called the surgeon and he requested al of my films from the hospital and went over them.
Ok so here where my story gets good after seeing about 100 different doctors and excessive visits to the ER I finally got an answer to what is wrong with me.
Today October 5, 2011  went to see the surgeon and he gave me answers he said that I am having problems from my gastric bypass from 2009 he said that I have something called BLIND LIMB!!!
Blind limb is where the gastric bypass is suppose to look like a lollipop but mine look like a candy cane. where the hook is on the candy cane the food sits there instead of going down to be digested.
I am so relieved to get an answer to what is wrong with me.

So I bet your asking what now well he put me on carafate medicine to help heal my ulcer he gave me pain medicine for now so that I could sleep he put me on protein shakes he told me only to have liquids and protein shakes set me up to check my blood work so he knows what I am deficient on before I have surgery. I have to go have another EGD done to make sure that my ulcer is healed before surgery I have to have revision surgery to fix the blind limb and then I will be ok.
No one is more happpier than I am right now just to get an answer to what is wrong with me and now I know that I am not crazy that I am really having pain and niow thank God I know that it can be fixed and I know what it is.
I wish you all luck and I hope that you get an answer because not knowing what is going on with your body is the worse feeling in the world.
Once you find out it is a great relief.
This is my very first time posting anything online. So bare with me please.
Just want to say that I too had extreamly severe bad pain on my stomach near the belly button area.... I would get into fetal position. only thing keeping me going was the pain meds, but that was only hidding the problem.  After going to several doctors and specialist, I ended up going back to the surgeon who performed the gastric bypass who was able to give me a diagnosis in less than 3 minutes.  I had a STRANGULATED INTESTINAL HERNIA (which is very common after gastric bypass surgery).  This is something that must be taken serious.  I almost died.  Had this hernia erupted, who knows what kind of life I would be living right now had I survived after it erupted.  Seek help now!!! make sure this is not the problem you are having.  Go to a specialist in bypass surgery.  I went to several Gastroenterologist who had me get xrays, ultrasounds, and even endoscopys, and did not end up finding this issue.  Hope the best for you all.  My only problem now is gaining weight again :(, but I am alive.
I have had same pain. Had my gallbladder out 1 yr ago. I am 3 months post op sleeve surgery. I have been hospitalized 2 times and 5 ER visits. I took Bentyl for IBS, which I never had before. It worked... My horrible pains are gone.
Hey all
In january 2011, I went to the hospital with sharp pain around my appendices, so a few days later had that removed. While in the operation they accidentally sniped my bowls, which led to adhesions (scar tissue) which then led me to a cutting out some bowl and having bypass. Since then, I've been to the hospital about 5 time and spent a week on each visit due to real,y string pains. The doctors/surgeon did the same test over and over. I've Had CT scans MRI, X rays, ultra sound ect. After not being able to find anything, they then told me that they had no idea why I had this pain and that I had to deal with it on meds.
As time went on my pain started getting worse and worse. So I jumped online and looked for the best bowl dr in Australia, and found a prof. In Richmond.
Anyhow, cut a long story short, I turned out where they did the bypass from wasn't t the end of the bowls but about 10 cm from the end, so in time that 10cm of bowls that wasn't getting used, was just filing up with infection and bacteria.
Now theres a chance that I'll have to have another surgery to fix e problem, but I'll find out about that next week.
In My experience never trust public surgeons or doctors. Private is the best way.
I know some of these posts are older, but just wondering if anyone has found the answer.  It sounds just like the pain my daughter is having.  She had an internal hernia repaired in the beginning of Oct 11, felt fine for 1 month & then the pain started again.  Goes from her stomach right through to her back.
Any one get any answers ?
In 2004 I had Rou-En-Y Gastric Bypass & have endured pain since then.  Have had multiple surgical interventions from expl. lap to possible hernia repair & lysis of adhesions.  To no avail, I live on pain meds such as Hydrocodone which I hate and have exhausted all the Bariatric Surgeons I could think of.  It was a horrible feeling knowing you are in pain & no one can diagnose you.  Well Friday I finally found out my pain source & what's so troubling is that it was so obvious on the GI study with contrast done that it baffles me.  Turns out that the source of my pain is BLIND LOOP SYNDROME. I don't have the weight loss associated with this but I believe it is attributed to my sedentary lifestyle because I am in pain day/night which is even difficult to walk. Add depression to it and it worsens.  Hope this info. works. BTW my insurance company wants a 5,000. copay in order to have this repaired, smh.
Please read.  My daugher had gastric bypass surgery.  About 6 years after her surgery she started having acute pain in mid abdomen, radiating to back.  She was admitted after one episode and treated and sent home.  Then about 9 months later it started again.  She had gall gladder surgery on a Thursday and died the following Saturday at home.  She had peridontitis from a ruptered ulcer in the part of her stomach that was bypassed.  If you have this type of acute pain it is very, very important that you get to your surgeon immediately.  The er doctors do not know what to look for.  In all of her scans the ulcer did not show up.  It only showed up in the autopsy.  Go to your original surgeon.
Try taking omeprazole, it's an acid blocker. The pain you are all describing is exactly what I have been suffering from since around seven months after my by-pass surgery until now. No doctor could tell me what it was or what was causing it. I can't remember how I stumbled upon this miracle, but it is the only thing that can stop the pain long-term. It always comes back if I stop taking the omeprazole, but it often takes up to two months to do so. Take one pill a day (14 days is the recommended dosage time frame) until your first pack is gone, then take one pill a week to keep it from returning. I swear this works, guys and gals. Plus it's a hell of a lot less costly than everything you are all trying...
My daughter also had the pain you are describing.  After 3 CT scans, the 3rd one showed that her intestines were wrapped around her colon.  The Dr said that can happen with a big weight loss (She lost 237 lbs).  They operated on her & she felt great....for 1 month & then the pain started again.  She said it felt just like the pain before the surgery.  They did a CT scan again and nothing showed up.   The surgeon said it could be food caught in her intestines and it should pass and he did not think her intestines would twist up that soon again.  We waited 1 week & when she was still in pain, the surgeon said he would do "exploratory surgery" to see what was wrong.  Turns out her intestines were twisted again AND THAT NEVER SHOWED UP ON THE CAT SCAN.  Just wanted to let you know she also had an endoscopy which showed nothing wrong either.
That 2nd surgery was in Nov 2011 and she has been OK since.  If she ever (and hopefully not) gets this pain again, I will bring directly to the surgeon.
Hope this helps and good luck to everyone.  
I just read your comment. I am so very sorry for your loss! I had the rny 4/2010 and have been sick since. i was at 260 pds and am at 131 with constant diarrhea and abdominal pain for as long as i can remember. since the surgery ive had 2 kidney stone operations, gallbladder removed, was in the er for dehydration idk how many times,i have 2 ulcers, and so much more. my depression and bipolar has gotten worse. im sick a lot and cant hold a full time job. ive been trying to find another bypass surgeron cuz the one i have does nothing for me. his team is horrible. i live in IL and had the surgery done here. i regret gettting this done everyday i wake up. i am afraid of dying. and i have 2 girls, 5 and 14. it broke my heart to hear you lost your daughter. God rest her soul.
I am a Registered nurse who had my bypass in 2009 with no complications until 2010 when I had the same pain you describe.  It was intermittent at first and then it became continuous.  I ended up undergoing an internal hernia of the Mesenteric area of my small intestine.  I had this repaired and the pain went away.  Do research on this and you'll see it's a lot more common after gastric bypass than you may think.
I have 4 children last one 10lbs no anesthesia, so I have a high tolerance for pain, but this pain floored me because the bowel was incarcerating.  This can be life threatening so please have it checked out.
Good luck!

Timeka
I am a Registered nurese who had my bypass in 2009 with no complications until 2010 when I had the same pain you describe.  It was intermittent at first and then it became continuous.  I ended up undergoing an internal hernia of the Mesenteric area of my small intestine.  I had this repaired and the pain went away.  Do research on this and you'll see it's a lot more common after gastric bypass than you may think.
Good luck!

Timeka
All of your symptoms are consistent with an internal hernia of the small intestines (mesentry)  Even a CT scan won't show this.  You must opt for the exploratory laparoscopy so the surgeon can see the tear and fix it.  There are two possible places for the tear the Peterson's point and the mesentary.  I ended up having the procedure twice because I had a hernia in both places.  Remember an internal hernia is just a protrusion of an organ or intestine through an opening such as one caused by a tear.
Good luck, trust me I have tried every test known to man and this proved to be the fix.  I knoW your pain.  I was sleeping sitting up because it hurt too bad to lay down.
Contact your surgeon immediately!!!!!  This can be life threatening if the intestine strangulates or incarcerates.

Timeka
i am lying in bed now with same paineven round my back bones it hurts comes and goes it really makes me fill weak and ill does it help if you berp or pass wind im not sure weather to go hospital or not x v
omg look like we are all getting the saim pain im lying in my bed with it now wondering weather to go hospital or not is it any better when you berp or pass wind i think my band might have slipped i have a band as well as bypass help x rosielea
mell exzactly same pain and al round back what is this pain we all have im in bed with it now  
My sister wrote about my niece having her intestine twist around her bowel.  It was repaired and a month later it happened again.  This was November 2011.  Well last week it happened again.  Drs. went in laproscopically and untwisted repaired something else and was confident it would not happen again.  Guess where she is today, a week later?  Yup back in the hospital.

Pain is exactly like everyone describes, starts in the stomach and radiates to the back.  I swear half the docs don't believe her.  But we can tell she is in agony.  

All labs come back normal, it only showed up the first time on the cat scan, not subsequent times.  

Is this going to happen forever for the rest of her life?  She can't live that way.   No one can.

Answers need to be found for everyone who this is happening to, it is disabling and not fair.  

Today they were going to do an ultrasound and tomorrow a CAT scan.  My bet is they find nothing.

What gives????
I had gastric bypass five years ago. I lost 150 pounds. I have been in the hospital more as a skinny lady than I ever was as a fluffy lady. Last month I was hurting so bad called my gastric bypass dr. I had been in pain for five days. I wanted to make sure I wasn't constipated I drank stuff that cleans you out and knew wasn't constipated. At time I called dr I was not throwing up. By the time my hubby got home I was throwing up. He called dr got answering service and told her to tell dr he was taken me to ER now wasn't going to wait for test the next day. I had acute pancertitis.spent four days in hospital. Follow up from hospital stay was ten days later I'd been hurting on left side going around to back. He did blood work levels were normal that was Friday. Monday I was back at dr office blood work again levels were high again. The next day started throwing up again. He wanted to admit me to our local hospital but test the next day was in town 67 miles away. Told me to go to ER and dr W would admit me.problems getting blood dr refused to call dr W. Was giving a morphine shot sent home back to hospital next day for test MRCP sent home and Dr Admitted me back in the hospital.they put in a Picc line which was great IV fluids and blood could be done with out poking me. Dr made mistake of giving me choice to stay in hospital or go home. Sunday was Easter so I chose o go home. I'm sick of liquids and mashed potatoes and cream of wheat and yogurt. I'm taking tramadol 50mg for pain and it isn't touching it. It the pain kept me up all nite. This morning I ate and a hour later I had to pull over and throw up. I wanted to know how much I had thrown up a cup and a half.
    I love my gastric bypass dr he is a fine Christian dr. This has him baffled. Have had ulcer bout two years and it hasn't healed.on protonix and carafate
HAS IT GOTTEN ANY BETTER? I"M 8 MONTHD OUT AND FEEL THE SAME WAY. JUST DRINKING WATER (TAP) HURTS MY STOMACH.
I had gastric bypass in 2003.  I did great up until about a year ago.  I began having severe epigastric pain that went straight through to my back.  I was in and out of the hospital with no clue what was causing it.  My last hospitalization I spent 2 weeks in with testing that was all normal.  My MD makes me feel like its in my head yet I lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks which I didnt need to lose.  Im scheduled for a gastric emptying study at the end of May which Im hoping they find something so I dont think im losing my mind.  Has anyone had this test????
My daughter had gastric bypass on June 19,2012, and now she went to er  for stomach pain, even drinking water , they gave her carafate, hopefully it will work, and I read somebody with that med, only was on liquids for a little bit, I will do the same.
Hi all, I am an RN and had Roux-N-Y done in 2003 with a good weight loss that I have maintained, have gained 20 pounds back is all.  About 5 years ago started having intermittent abdominal pain that increases in severity,  It would go away for a few days or even months and then return.  The last few months it has been almost constant.  Wakes me up during the night, starts out in the morning pretty minimal but by late afternoon is severe.  I go to work every day and then go home and lay in the bed and cry.  I feel like no one believes me and none of the doctors seem to have a clue.  My bariatric surgeon left the area for parts unknown after several law suits.  I truly don't know what to do.  I am a tought person with high tolerance for pain but I don't think I can do this much longer.  Went to the ER this week and was told it was a gastric ulcer.  Wants me to have yet another EGD.  I have had 10 or more of them and colonoscopy and CTs and flat plates of abdomen.  This pain starts in the mid epigastric region, radiates to my back and migrates to the entire abdomen.  I get very bloated with hyperactive bowel sounds.  Any suggestions?  I wish I had never had this surgery now!!!
Strangely enough I have had very similar pain. No amount of meds seem to help. Pain is where my gallbladder used to be, but also rradiates up into my armpit region and down my back, sometimes shooting down my leg. Everything on the right side of my body is painful. At times it will be worse, for lack of better wording, an attack of whatever it is. This past time was probably the worst, left me in so much pain and, strangely enough, very bloated. I've seen so many doctors and been hospitalized. I go to the Cleveland Clinic in a little over a week and PRAYING they have some idea why my body is failing me. I can't walk at times because the pain is so bad. I am also wondering if gastric bypass was what I should have done. Happy with the weight loss, definitely not the pain. Anyone have any ideas I've overlooked?
I had similiar pain(s)...I had my gastric bypass in July of '11 and exactly one year later abdominal pain(s) primarily in the stomach area and under the left side of my ribs...gallbladder was removed prior to gastric bypass. My diagnosis after CATscan revealed a perforated ulcer AND a larger umbilical hernia...I had to have both surgeries at the same time. Other than some pain still as a result from I believe the large hernia surgery, I am better (I pray) I actually went back to work on light duty after two weeks. I wish everyone well. If you have NOT had a CATscan, have it done, I believe this will reveal any perforated ulcers.
I had a gastric bypass three years ago and have lost 90 poinds. I have had the same pain as all who have written on this site. The doctor removed my gallbladder a few weeks ago and then said the EGD showed two hiatal hernias and that my pouch was enlarged and I should get a traditional revisional surgery. Has anyone had this done? If so, did it help the pain?
I am not having the stomach pain as much as before after removal of the gallbladder. But I do have chronic constipation and that really concerns me.
I am going to a specialist this week but main concern is whether I should even have the revisional surgery with this constipation and stomach issue?
Any replies to assist me with my worries would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there, don't know if this reply will find you but I too have developed debilitating abdominal pain.  Had many tests to no avail.  I have a doctor appointment with a new doctor from my surgeon's office to discuss.  By reading many internet blogs I am not hopeful that there is a cure.  I have had several doctors tell me that this is something I will have to live with.  I have never known this kind of unrelenting pain!!!  All the doctors seem to want to keep pumping more pain pills into me.  That's no solution!!  I had morphine and percosets while being put into the ER and they did not stop the pain.  Do you know of any support groups for people like us??  BTW way everything else is healthier for me so the surgery was a success in that respect.  Take care and much luck to you~Georgiana
I'am so amazed that so many people suffer from this debilitating mysterious pain, especially since all have had a Gastric Bypass. In going through all the posts there was one answer that made a lot of since to me called the Blind Loop Syndrome. Which actually can be caused from a surgeon who unintentionally through surgery creates the blind loop. I have had (3) Surgeries beginning with Gastric Stapling (1978) never had a problem with pain after that surgery but as soon as they revised me to the Gastric Bypass (1980) about a year after I began experiencing the pain...My pain begins in the back and radiates up under the top of the middle of the stomach right under my breasts...I have tried everything to make this pain go away which includes sticking my fingers down my throat to make me throw up and this actually worked for several years but doesn't anymore. The pain lasts for up to an hour or more and leaves me completely exhausted. I began having the pain maybe once a month and now I experience sometimes once or twice a week. I feel it coming on and I can tell when it is subsiding and leaving me. To me it feels as if I have an obstruction of some kind and that the obstruction sooner or later passes and the pain subsides. It is horrible. I have to unhook my bra and pants or I will actually feel like I'm going to pass out from the pain...I had a 3rd surgery to a distal gastric bypass in 2009 and since then I get these attacks way more often. What is really horrible is that the pain medicine that the Dr.'s have given me actually bring one of these attacks on. I remember receiving a lortab from my dentist for some work he did and this was a couple years after my Gastric Bypass Revision, after I took this pain med I began to have an attack...So not only do I get them just randomly but if I take pain meds I will get one and it is the exact same kind of pain either way...Bariatric Surgeons need to study this as it is a common problem for GB Patients...My Daughter had GB Surgery and now she is going through it and being tested with everything under the sun and I told her I hate to tell you Sis but they won't find anything I can almost guarantee it...I believe it is definately something that the surgeons do while doing the GB Procedure that creates this because it doesn't happen to all patients but it is happening to a large percentage of patients...You can just look on this site and see that and there are tons more....
I had the sleeve surgery done on the 24th Sep. Now I am having a pain and tenderness above the cut, I wasn't feeling it before. Is this normal?.
Hi Marshafacey,

I had gastric bypass around a month and a half ago.

Yes, you will feel tenderness under the cut this can be expected for a few weeks more.
Hi Texas Angel,

Take a look at spincter odi dysfunction. It fits all of your symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphincter_of_Oddi_dysfunction

Good luck
hi Stephanie, I has gastric bypass back in 2006 and a correctional surgery in April of this year where they found two gaps in my intestines and a bunch of scar tissue they had to remove. I have the same pains you have, my Dr.s have done evrything they can, tests, endoscopys, etc., and still can't find anything.  I have these spurts of pain sessions that put me in the emergency room and all they do is treat it with protonix, daladed, and zofran.  I also live on pain meds as these pains do not seem to go away.  I am also looking for an answer. I have lost 100 pounds but sometimes I wonder if it was worth it after allI have been through. The pains are in my upper stomach above my navel and below my chest, hard to explain what it feels like but it will ruin your entire day. I just was in the ER last night for the same reason, I don't think the Dr.s there understand what we go through and sometimes think we are just there for the pain meds.... Does anyone else have the same problem?
I had gastic bypass 2/14/12 and I have been having the same pains. Went to the ER they did a ct scan and couldnt find anything said if pain gets worse come back and sent me home. Next day the pain was even worse. Went back to the ER where i sat in the waiting for for an hour for a lady to come out and tell me to go see my pcm ( primary care manager .... or main dr ) so i went and seen here. She pushed on where my new stomach is located and the pain was so intense it made me cry right then :( She told me to go back to the ER and dont leave til i see the on call surgeon.. So i went back seen the surgeon just for him to say he doesnt know why i am in pain gave me pain meds and sent me home once again. Its crazy that there are so many of us that have this mystery pain and yet no one seems to know what it is from. I go back tomorrow to see my main surgeon to see what they say. He thinks its a possible Ulcer. But we shall see tomrrow. Will keep you all posted.
I had Gastric bypass rRNY IN SEPT 1997, I have experienced on an off stabbing stomach pains ever since. The one thing that does work is 1 TBSP RAW APPLECIDER vinegar( must be raw and not processed) with about 4 oz of water drink and it  quickly and it goes away instantly. Sometimes u have to repeat it several times a day but it has kept me able to work and live after surgery, I keep a mixture in a water bottle with me at all times. Hope this helps someone
You have a bowel obstruction. The pain described as" the most excruciating and stabbing pain, the pain is located right in the center of my stomach, above my belly button, but below my chest.  it stabs right straight through to my back and down my lower back" is exactly the symptoms of a bowel obstruction. It can cause death if not treated. You must tell the ER that you are a Gastric Bypass patient and you believe you have a bowel obstruction. They must open your abdomen to correct this. This is most common in patients that have multiple abdomen surgeries and is caused by adhesions of the bowel to the scar tissue from your operations. It will cause your bowel to twist like a garden hose and nothing will pass. It can also be a partial obstruction which will still allow passage of waste but it will eventually cause a backup. You MUST go to the ER if this is your situation.
not sure if our pain is the same but i too have this type and am getting NO answers!
this is me to a tee just like all of u under the rib cade sever pain radiats into the back i thought i was going to pass out it does not happen all the tme maybe 3 times its ha[ppend i have my surg 17 months ago lost 150 in like 9 months im 150 now i spoke to me doctor when you get your gallbladder removed a stone can stay in the passage way and if you eat something your not suppose to it will aggrivate it and it will go up and down the passage way and feel like your having an attack it can be brutal that could be what is happening to some not all i hope this help
I am 3wks post gastric bypass surgery. I started my pureed food phase . the first night I got dumping syndrome. it lasted 3 days. everything I ate made me sick. I tried everything  to help with the stomach pain. nothing helped. finally I got beano. it helped but now Im afraid to stop taking it. don't wont to hurt but cant take it forever. can someone give me some advice
I hope you can read this... Go to the doctor, or find an experienced bariatric surgeon... It sounds like you have what is called petersens defect, an internal hernia which is extremely difficult to find in gastric bypass patients! Go now! If you don't find it there can be fatal complications! Go and asked to have a laproscopy looking for petersens hernia, or in the least for the doctor to do an investigative laproscopy... A doctor on a hunch saved my life and found this as well as removed my gallbladder, and cleaned out my bowel ducts, and had to realign my whole bowel it was twisted around my new little stomach! Don't delay... Go now!  If you want more jnfo google petersens defect xxx
I truly can relate to everyone's pain and frustation. I too have had GB, 12/2012 and I remember waking up from the surgery with pain in this area that never really went way, the pain lessened with time but I was never able to ware anything tight around that part of my waist. After 6 months the pain changed from just being there to a horrific, stabbing, cramping pain that sent me immediately to the ER. As I am in the waiting area screaming in pain, the nurses first have to rule out if I am just there seeking pain meds. Once they take their time and figure out that's not the case, the finally call me back and want to ask me a ton of questions that I said I would gladly answer If they would first just make this pain go away. The agreed, gave me Dilaudid and the pain subsided, thank God! The tests began and like everyone else nothing was found but then they refocus their efforts on other things like your iron or potassium is low so lets admit you for that but in the mean time I'm still in pain. After many many trips to the ER and many hospital stays, I am yet to find out what sourse of the pain is. I had surger this past June because they said it was an Intussusception, they were conviced that is what it was so I went and had the surgery and low and behold 8 weeks later I was back in the ER with the same damn pain. I have been tested for everything and everything is fine. The last hospital stay which was just las week, they got stuck on my gallbladder and insisted it be removed. I argured that it wasnt the problem and after the HDIA scan and it came back normal I was right and was able to save my gallbladder. I think they didnt know what else to do. My question is, what are we supposed to do for the pain? They don't want to prescribe anything strong enough to help. So I am forced to return to the ER each and everytime this pain flares up which is averaging every 6-8 weeks. I was told I can no longer have a CT Scan because I have had too many and to have MRIs, ok that's great but my insurance isnt so quick to approve MRIs. I am at work today after being out all last week dealing with this pain, I'm sitting her typing withing with my stomach in pain. Is this my life?
I to have had of these symptoms been in and out of the er and inpatient.  I had my gbs 2007.   And the pain started about 6months later and has not stopped. The doctors ignore me I think they think I am nuts  The surgeon that did my surg told me the last time he did an endoscopy told me that I needed to lose 70 lbs and go see my gyn.  He is the quack not me.  I go to see a gastro dr on Tuesday and I am going to show her all the information that I have found.  I will not be leaving her office until I get some answer.
I thought I was the only one with the pain in the abdomen.  My surgery was done in 2002, i had the gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y Surgery.  Immediately after surgery, I was sent home.  I didn't feel well and I let the CNA know this and she said that I would be alright.  I should have let my doctor know I wasn't feeling good, but he didn't come around to my hospital room the day I was discharged.  I went hope, but in so much pain, literally crying on the airplane (Surgery was done in L.A., CA. and I lived in Modesto, CA.) That night when I got home, I was rushed to the ER, I later found out that I had Pulmonary Embolism (PE).  I almost died, had to be on Coumadin Pills and Heparin Injections because of PE.  After my year of blood thinning therapy, I had really no more problems, until about 2 years ago.  I start get ting the pain in the upper center abdomen underneath my incision.  You see they had opened me up, I have a large incision scar from the top off abdomen (about 1" under the center of my breast) to the middle of the abdomen (just about 4" above my belly button).  It is also around 1" wide all the way from top to bottom.  I get the pain right on the top but underneath the incision.  It hurts so much when it hits, I literally cannot breathe, there's pain all under the incision. When I try to lay on my stomach, the pain hits, so I don't lay on my stomach anymore.  Now the pain just comes on without warning, but it starts slowly then hard and lasts about 20 minutes, then like nothing and goes away.  I'm thinking it's maybe scar tissue growing over something that's causing this pain.  Or like I read in one of the comments above, it's probably the "Loop Syndrome" or something like that.  I also get massive gas when the pain hits, belching constantly and vomiting but only when the pain hits, then poof goes away.  What can it be?
Hey I'm not sure if any of you are still experiencing pain in your abdomen, however, i had my R-Y gastric bypass 5 1/2 yrs ago.  About 2 yrs after my surgery i had lost 125 lbs (wanted to lose 15-20 more) anyway i started having the pain you have discribed as well as abdominal distention, gas, belching diarhea and some constipation. I tried explaining to all my doctors (not bypass doctor, he won't see you more then 18 months after surgrty unless you pay large consultation fee or you stayed in his stupid study) anyway, no one did anything to help me because i was already on pain management prior to surgery for chronic pain all over of unknown nuerological ediopathy. also i am bi-polar (not really crazy by-polar but more like bi-polar lite with 35% less crazy and full knowledge of what in my head inn't always real. Anyway, I stopped going to any doctor except pain doc. i would be fin for weeks sometimes a couple months and then BAM!!!! It's back. even my husband started believing it was in my head. i became so depressed that for almost 12 months i did nothing but eat cry take too many pills and eventually never left the couch for 6 months straight. my kids are now teens and my husband took care of everything but pay bills. i could do that from couch. I went from 145 to 180 in those 12 months.  Then something wonderfull happened 6 months ag0 in went into a moderate manic state (some reaction to sleeping pill that is also anti-depressant), I told my pain doctor about the past 12 months (i never did because i did not want to deal with the judgement and people assuming things).  He told me to go get an annual physical and make sure they do colonoscopy (mother had colon cancer. I was starting to believe i did too),  and all the bloodwork you can get them to order. Since i had all this energy from being manic i complied. Meanwhile i start losing weight like crazy and i have continues constipation. not even suppositor meds helped after using them for 1-2 wks. by the time i got in to see GI i weighed 144lbs (i lost 36 ils in less than 6 wks after the severe chronic constipation started) the following wk he does colon oscopy and EGD. The lining of my stomache wall looked a bit inflamed so he took samples from several parts of my stomache and my small instines and my colon and sent them all for  biopsy. only my stomache was inflammed but he wanted to be check everything. Surgically, he said i had the best looking gastric bypasses he'd ever seen or heard of. It had healed so well that it almost looked like i was born that way. SO, he did not believe the pain was related to any post surgical issue with the structure. 1 wk later and 6 more lbs of weight loss I had my answer...H -pylori infection. H-pylori is a bacterial infection that basically you can get from fecal matter. KNOW, THAT DOES NOT MEAN i AM NOT HYGENIC. You can get it from hand to hand or mouth to mouth if you have a really bad attack. Plus public rest rooms, hotels and the grosest part - fresh fruit and veggies (apparently some fleid workers think it is ok to "relieve them self" anywhere. However, most people who get h_pylori never know they have it and never experience the pain like I did. Usually only old people, very young children and people with a poor immune system have significant problems. the bacteria takes up housing in the lining of your stomache and proceeds to change the atmosphere to a more hospitable place to live. Well, people with R - Y type bypass are extremely likey to have a lower immune system because of mal - apsorbtion.  In addition during periods of constipation you don't expell the bacteria, if your pain epidodes get a lot worse or starts with during the time you are constipation, It is very likely you could have this bacteria. most doctors don't think of it because it is not a commom problem in the USA unless you are in some sort of crowded living space like a home for the elderly. It is however more commen in places like Vegs, Disneyland areas, you know places people from other counties visit. It does not lives outside the body very long, so just keep washing your hands and disinfect bathrooms if you have anyone else in your family that may have immune problems (that includes people with asthma, cancer, aids, etc). It does not always show on stool sample, because it is not necessarily expelled during ever BM. You can have blood test, but I have heard that can have a false negative sometimes because it is looking for anti-bodies your body created, depending on how badly your immune system is malfunctioning you may want to request EGD with biopsy (even if stomache is not inflammed).  Other symptoms I have include bad taste in mouth and most food taste bad to me (especially pork and most beef, sometimes lunch meats) even the smell of meat cooking can make me nauseated. Hear is the really bad news, it is difficult to treat and often requires multiple courses of treatment (even in people who don't have problems absorbing medication). Water based medication is more easily absorbed by the small intestine, also if you have it, part of threatment requires you to take prilosec 2 x daily, unfortunately, I believe it only comes in time release which, depending on the person, is very, very had for our digestive systrm to absorb even when we don't have a bacteria blocking absorbtion through stomache lining. i have done alot of research (still in mild manic state). You must take the prilosec, so what i did was break the casule open, carefully, there is a small pill inside surounded by all these little white balls that is the time release, dump it into something and try smashing it a little (or just put it in the table spoon as is) add water, and drink it. Wait 20 mins or so and take half the little pill inside, take the other half in 6 hrs. I got no relief from the prilosec until i did it that way. I do not understand why doctors don't provide us with liquid meds when ever possible. Make sure u ask for liquid meds. my doctor said it was not necessary, but i am starting my 3rd couse next wk, haven't had post treatment test but symptoms are returning. If you get tablets, they can also be crushed to powder and added to water to drink. ask pharm they know alot about alkiline and non alkelines  and base forms. if you can't get rid of it it can givr you extreme ulcers (mine was in the earlier formation of ulcers, not just 1 but 5. you doctor needs to read about absorbtion in people like us. i was able to google the question and read a  two posts and it confirmed what i already knew but can't get one doctor to grasp the concept. It is actually quite disturbing. not even my GI listened when i explained what i had read and printed it out for him and my pain management doctor. ANYWAY!!! GOOD LUCK signing manic in Vegas. (BTW - JUST BECAUSE I'M CRAZY DOES NOT MEAN I CAN'T BE RIGHT) look in to it, for your own good.

I hope you get to know the exact reason for the pain and get well soon.
And as a newbie I am have learned a lot about the bypass, so thanx..
I had rny gastric bypass surgery May 18, 2008 I weighed 277lbs. Within 7 months I was down to 117 lbs and having stomach problems that would make me scream in pain!! It went on a month or so my pcp Doctor at home said I was havin telescopic intestinal problems. I lost so much which in so little time that my intestines were being sucked in the pouch. Terrible pain doesn't cover it so they put me in an ambulance and I had the surgery again which helped for about 5 years I'm just sorry to say it's starting again.  Check this out if you are having this problem pain meds and a drought drink of GI cocktail will help a lot. I hope this helps. I am currently below my goal weight at 120 but my goal weight is 131 so I think after all these years I am doing ok!!
I am so so so sorry for your loss.I want to thank you though. You may have saved my life, and I thank you for sharing this from the deepest depth of my heart and my mom says thank you too. My drs are at a loss and are talking about exploratory surgery and possible a full gasterectomy. I've been grasping at every possibility to try and find a way to live through this. It's been going on a year now. No answers. I'e lost over 100 lbs and am barely able to function most the time due to malnutrition and dehydration induced dementia.. I will bring this up to my drs. I am so sorry, but thank you.
I had my gastric bypass surgery 9 months ago.  I have been craving sugar so I eat sweet cereal and cocoa with marshmellows.  Well I have excruciating pain in my upper stomach everytime I eat anything with sugar, I pay for it with several hours of terrible pain.  I guess I know the answer is to stay off sugar.  Have you had sugar that may have caused your pain?
Cari and everyone that has horrible stomach pains after stomach bypasses or bands,  you are swollen and you cannot eat or drink one drop til that pain passes.  It's like something gets "stuck" and you die for hours or a day.  It's like your stomach is allergic to some foods especially rice, bread, you have to see how you do with certain foods.  You swell shut and it is soooo miserable.  You will be fine for months and then it here it comes again.  You might also have too much scar tissue and need to get stretched especially up to 6 weeks or longer after surgery.  If it happens too many times you must go to the surgeon that did the surgery or someone who does your type of surgery.  Pills can cause this stuck feeling especially if you take them late at night with no light food chaser.  Go to *****.com or those weight loss websites and you will get more help there.  So sorry you suffer with this too!  Allyson