Weight Loss Alternatives Community
topamax

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

topamax

i just wanted to keep the coments and concerns going about topamax.Cona serequel also caused me to gain alote of weight ,i craved debbie cakes like crazy. topamax has beenso great .no more headaces!!!:) :)!!my mood swings are down alote +++,andpeopleare starting to notice the weight goig away  ++!!:) :)++!! so great luck to every one on or just starting topamax sallie1
HI!
It has been a bit since i have posted, i am slowly loosing weight. BUT i am still loosing. I have had mini headaches, so i am gonna ask the doctor if we are gonna increase the dosage or not, since no one at the office seems interested in seeing ho9w i am doing at the current dosage. Oh, by the way, i am at 100mgs. When i started Topamax, i weighed in at 199lbs. That was 2/7. NOw, i am at 189. a whopping loss of 10lbs.... hey...
that is roughly 10 lbs in a month. Works for me. I have Very little appitite. I exercise once and a while. I get on my treadmill when i can. I work nights, sleep all day ( well, half of it) attend a class, take care of a husband and two kids....
so, finding time for me (exercise time) is really hard to do)
But i do manage. I average a couple days a week exercise. I do not have too many side effects other than the loss of appitite, and numbness in my heels/toes... and lips sometimes....
all of which i can tolerate for the sake of releif from the nasty headaches and weight.... anyone with me on that one? I have a goal. I am gonna stick out the meds. I like the Welbutrin/Topamax combo... it is helping me...so far. I realy have ALOT of stressful issues in my personal life right now, so many, there are too many to list... i'de bore you all. (lol)and although the pills do not take the problems away, and do not make my issues completely 100% better, there SOOOOOOOOOO much better for me on the meds, verses off the meds.... ask my family (lol, once again...) So, i will hang in here and stick with the program... keep you all posted/updated... i enjoy reading all your postings... please keep posting... you are all very informative, i check this page almost daily for updates on everyone. My goal with my weight, is to be 140lbs by the end of August.... I WILL BE THAT WEIGHT !!!!! ESPECIALLY IF I KEEP UP THIS WAY !!!! WISH ME LUCK, AND I WILL DO THE SAME FOR ALL OF YOU!!!!! KEEP POSTING!!!!!!
DAWN.
Hi, Just thought Id post... I realise the old thread on topomax (topamax) cant be posted on anymore... is this where evryone will continue as I was very interested in hearing all your progresses... I am starting mine today at 25mg... Im worried about the memory loss and inability to form sentences mostly!!! I am hoping for a weight loss but wont put too much hopes on it. I am like a diet coke addict! SO it would be shocking if it ends up making that taste bad if thats true?

I will let u know how i find it and would love to here others progress
im hoping everyone keeps in touch everyone has gone so far i wish you so much luck keep in touch. for some reason it hasnt bothered my tast for soda so maybe you will get luky.
Well, although its only day 2 on just 25mg I havent noticed anything different yet. I will try a soda later on though and see if it tastes weird! Im so glad to have this site because I can see why people would want to rush and start on a higher dose than what seems like a very measly 25mg, but having read some of the other negative reactions that happen after having too much too quick I know I will take this slow...

Thank you so much for the support and how are you doing? What dosage are you on and what for?

x
im ok ,i have been weaning off of effexor very,very,very,evil stuff!im on 200 mg a day ,irealy like it the pins and needels was the hardest toget used to but they go away.i went on topamax for headaces it has worked great,and the big plus is iv lost about 30lbs sincethe end of dec. good luck with everything!
I am currently on 100 mgs of topamax. Been on it since 2/7. I've gone from 199lbs, to 188... i am still 188lbs... How did you increase from 100mgs, to the next dosage? and what was it? what did your doc put you on after being on 100mgs for a bit? i have had a breake through headache or too, and i wqs thinking about asking the doctor to increase the dosage. How much weight per week did you loose per week? and how much exercise did, or do you do? and what do you eat? and how often... i mean, my god... you've lost 30lbs since dec... thqat is awsome. I want so badly in the WORST way to do that BEFORE this summer. YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND.... i have ALWAYS BEEN THE CHUBBY GIRL. i feel it is my turn to shine. I want a summer to celebrate. I want it to be this one. And i have been given this little tease of a start of weight loss.... it cannot stop here...
help!!!! give me some advice.
Thanks,
Dawn.
HEllo

Well done on your weight loss so far... i think u should just keep up whatever it is your doing- dont do anything dramatic just try slipping excecise in here and there as well

good luck and let me know how you are doing id love to know, i know how tough all this is i want to lose aroud 30 pounds myself
Hi just to update im increasing my dosage... it was 25, now im doing 75 a day... .i hope this will bring a loss of appetite I will let you know! So far appetite wise things are the same i.e. big appetite! I look forward to the day I have to 'make' myself eat something...!

Am i being over optimistic that this day will come?? Or was it because i was only on 25 mg that I didnt see a change before?

I Really hope you all are doing well on this med... yeah there are 2 posts on topamax..  a little confusing!!

Id love to hear your progress
I started this med a week ago specifically for weight loss due to weight gain from antidepressants.  I also had some night time twitching that was rather annoying.  After not quite a week, the night time twitching is gone, but I haven't noticed any weight change.  I, too, wonder when that started to happen for those of you who have lost.  I'm still only on 25mg/day.  I will increase to 50 tomorrow.
Anna
hi everyone.
i am still on 100mgs.
That is where my doc has decided to keep me.
i noticed anymore changes. I am still loosing weight...
about a pound or two a week.
But that is because i put effort into it, i think.....
I get on my treadmill daily, if not twice daily.
i have more energy now.
I have some feelings of hunger here and there, which are
odd to me, cause i would just eat when ever before. i never realy "felt hungry"
I do not feel the need to force my self to eat, although i have no interest in food at all. Nothing sounds good. I just eat a lean cusine meal or a bowl of strawberry frosted shredded wheats for my meals, they are about the only thing i realy think taste half way decent.... oh, and some soups. Pop still is crappy. That is probably a good thing. What good is pop anyhow? i am so glad that the snacking has been eliminated for me. That was the biggest problem for me with my weight gain.
I am more excited about this side effect than i am abot the fact that i have had no more realy bad migrains (yet) ......i have had headaches, though. not major ones, though.
well, hope all is well for everyone on both posted pages for topamax. i post comments on both pages. I am just gonna be lazy and copy and paste this posting onto both pages. (lol) take care everyone!
Later,  Dawn.
miketish,
I have been nosy and reading your post.I hope you dont mind. I also started out at 199 and now at 189 a month later.10 or 11lbs lighter depends on whos scale you look at. Ill take the 11lbs scale. we talk on one of the other post.I also have a family with children,job and never ending life schedule and exercise seems like the last thing in the world i want to do.Heck i spend more time typing to you than i do on exercise.he he.I also have been the chubby girl all my life.I am finnally glad to have the appettite under control.I am the one on the what i call snack of pills a day Wellbutrin300,topamax50mg,zyrtecd,fishoil,licorish,metamucil.I also drink crystal light by the tubs.I got so excited the first 3 weeks and now i am back to my old habbits.not the eating part,but the mental part. not wanting to push myself quite as much to exercise,have as great of an out look about the summer.I need to get that feeling back that this summer is still my summer to wear clothes i havnt wore in years. Maybee we can start cheering each other on. pen pals. Heck we dont know each other.We can be instant pals.We deserve this.I know i do how about you??????????????????
SURE!!!!!
WE do seem to have alot in common... i do not have alot of time to write right now, i'll write more later... but sure, we can be "pen pals". I have to get on the treadmill, get in the shower, and ready for work by 6:30, and it is 5:30 (3/26/06)
I think it'll be fun to cheer each other on.... we an check up on each others progress, and keep eachother plugging along....
I do not know about you, but i have goals. I no longer wish to be the fat girl. I realize i am not gonna be the ideal weight by the time i want to be, but i can be there before the summer's end... and i can be lighter than i am now....and so can you.
let's keep eachother going!!!!!
ttyl
Dawn.
Miketish,
I am telling you that you are reading my mind.. I just thought today,man i wont be wearing a bikini this year,but maybee look good in a one peice and next year watch out bikini.I did goof today. I celebrated and ate too much,but back on track. I prommisse.I have work at 7am but plan to get home and walk on tread mill for at least 20 min.I am tired of being the fat girl with ( The pretty Face)Have you ever heard that one?
Hey have you noticed any mood swings with this medication. if so do you think it is from not eating or just the meds its self....Good luck this week. Davetterrr
HI
it is 7:33am... and i just saw my family off for the day. Not real sure about what to do with myself... I will probably clean my house, clean my car, use my teadmill(that is a definite),maybe see if my mom wants to get a subway sub and go for a walk downtown... we have this realy nice 2mile trail in wooded area by our local college that everyone uses. I work nites, that is why i can write you now, at this hour. I hate working nites, when i have days off, i am all alone and have nothing to do ( i work 12's at night so that i can have days to have some of the mornings to attend college classes.. i am going to be an R.N) The job i have causes me alot of stress, i do not like it. It is not me. I work in a MICA department. (with the mentally ill & chemically addicted. Some of those people are on the same meds we are on...and then some.) I was an employee in Our Operating room here for 5years. I love that department. I was a technician. That job is strictly days (other than the overtime/calltime that cannot be helped ) that job interferes with college classes, so i had to leave. I intend to go back, I miss it so badly. It is a one of the BIG (many) reasons i am on these (welbutrin & Topamax) meds. My childhood and my weight are the other reason for the welbutrin, the topamax was for the migrains, I've suffered with migrains since i was 12yrs old. i aslo have asthma, or should i say had? it has not realy botherd me much since i was about 16. Every once-n-awhile. I would eat excederine for migrains like it was candy... then, one day (the day i was given Topamax) i had a Dr. appointment to talk to the doctor about taking another antidepressant along with the welbutrin.... My depression was just too much for me to handle, and my headaches were outta control. I had a med in mind that i wanted to be put on, right now i cannot remember what it is called ( i get lots of good advice working in a hospital with doctors and nurses with whom i've made real good friends) anyhow, i had a horrible migrain that night ( at my appointment) the doc. reccomended the topamax.. and here i am today! i love the como... This topamax welbutrin combo. They are not gonna increase the dosage though. I m staying at 100mgs. Not real safe to go much higher. Besides,, it is helping at 100mgs. Oh, i bought some sudafed. i also bought some m.o.m.( having some bathroom issues) There, i kina gave ya a little info on me, how about you?
oh.... do you have yahoo messenger? let me know.
Dawn.
oh, by the way, the "pretty face" comment....
well, let me tell you... i cannot remember how many yrs ago, but, i have a aunt (over weight by the way ) who, in frount of family at a cousins graduation party, said to me "you know, you are a very pretty girl, it's just ashame you are heavy. You need to loose some weight." I'll never ever forget it. I look at it as A motivating comment now. i have other comments that were thrown my way since. They are also looked at the same way. They are all motivaters. Those people make me want the weight loss all the more. I like the song "fighter" by christina Augralalera (spelling?) WHen i work out on the treadmill, i use that song sometimes, and those comments that were thrown my way run through my mind, and i think of those people... and keep on working hard. I will someday thank all of those people for helping me get to my goal.
Ttyl
Dawn.
Hello I am new on Topamax. I have suffered from Migraines since I was a child and I am now 35. I was put on an antidepressant(amitriptilyne) as a prevenative and it worked for a while but I have also gained about 10 pounds. I have sitched insurance providers so my new doctor talked to me about topamax. I just started and I am wondering how it works for anyone as a preventative? The weight loss well its to soon for me. I will increase as I go along. Thanks for any help.
Miketish,
No weightloss this week. I mean man I walked and exercised every day and watched my diet,but you know what i get in a few days. The monthly visit. I am scared to death.I only get one headace a month now and only dont loose weight one week a month.
That week is the week from misery.I get the cramps,bloating,headache,weight gain,constipation and I wish i could just sleep for 4 whole days. I have to appologize now because i dont know when i will be able to get back to the computer.For some reason the screen kills my eyes.I bet you are getting your pretty body ready to go with your pretty face..he he. To tell you the truth I feel for my pocket book as i loose weight because i cant weight to shop. I want to wear all the stuff i have dreamed about .......My grandparents tell me all the time how pretty my face is dont you love it.. Well im gonna go. How did school,work,life,and exercise go this week. Hey my co teacher at work just found out she is pregnet.Oo glad it isnt me. he heheheheheheheh. She can change the diapers...I have changed my share.
glad to hear from ya...
i was beginnig to think eveyone on here fell off the face of the earth.
I check every day for comments.
Even though i have a busy life..... i still fine a minute here and there to see if there are any posts. This stuff is great. i love getting advice/suggestions and having a med pal to write back and fourth with on here, so i look forward to checking this page out.  So... let ME give you so helpful hints... or rather than hints, advice. You see, i work with doctors/nurses... and am going to be a nurse, so i get loads of medical knowledge/help. The constipation thing... buy yourself some philips milk of mag.( people call it "mom") for the constipation. Take 30ml(2tlbsp) at night, every night before bed. It will work. i promise. It may cause you some "gas", you will not experience the awful side effects of cramps/pain that you would with most laxitives...("mom" is basically a laxitive)
it is safe enough to take every night. It will run ya about $9 for a large bottle.
Do not feel bad about the "monthly" thing... mine came to visit with me too. I am going to avoid the scales. you know, you can take a water pill for that. But i choose not too. I am takeing enough meds as it is.
Well, keep pluggin. Do not give up on the exercise!!!!!!
It WILL PAY OFF!!!!!
Take care. ttyl,
Dawn.
Sorry it's been so long!!! I came to post and realized the last thread was full, so found that you made a new one..thank goodness!

Glad to see many more of you have joined to talk about your successes w/ Topamax...isn't it great? I've now been bumped from 75mg (from the last post...about a month ago) to 200. I was on a combo of Wellbutrin XL and Topo but for me the combo was not working (Wellbutrin would make me really "witchy" and irritated). For years previous to this combination I was a victim (hate that word but I'll use it for now) of the SSRIs and yes like many of you I gained the dreaded 40/50 pounds!! Now I am fighting to get them off, and have found Topamax like you have.

I have been on the 200mg dosage for about 4 days now and the tingling in my extremities have resurfaced, but it's not so bothersome that I can't handle it. I love the fact that I don't want to snack, though the number on the scale has not budged much. I am going back to dieting (with a reputable program such as WW) and hopefully with that in conjunction with a recent purchase of a treadmill I'll be able to make my weight loss dream A REALITY!! Besides...my husband just purchased family tickets to a water park in my area and NOW I have NO CHOICE but to get my rear in shape before the summer! There's no way I can show my big butt in public looking the way it does at this point! (ha ha) Say no to my lovely "lumps".... ;-0 (aaaaaah! Run away!!!!!!!!)

Some of the posts here have been very encouraging (sallie, etc...). Thanks for sharing with all of us (or my apologies for snooping, ha ha!).

It would be interesting for anyone here to post their experience with mood stabilization and Topamax, as that is where I'm really trying to go with it. (the weight loss is an added plus!) Please tell us what dosage you are currently on with each post.

Thanks!

--Denise Ann
I posted a few days ago and I am very curious if any one is on the topamax for Migarines on this post or can anyone guide me in the right direction? I am happy to hear about the weight loss. Thanks. Amy
MochaAmy,
I am taking the topamax for migaranie's.It has helped alot.I am also loosing weight,but that seems to be slowing down.I found out it took almost 2 weeks to really kick in.I also notice my periods are when my worst ones come now. I have had problems spelling,tingling in hands and feet,grouchy,and irritated easily.I still have to watch myself.My family says i am more air headed.I feel myself more uptight.I take 50mg.I like the no head ache part,but I am worried about the mood swings . They just started to happen in the past week or so.I hope this helps . if you have any more questions please feel free to ask any time...DAvette
Thank you. I am just starting week 2. I am having some tingling in my ands and feet. Havent noticed any weight loss yet. I had a migraine today but I amalso coming off of the other medicine. Thanks for replying. How long have you been on topamax?
hello i have been off my topamx for a little while.i got realy sick going off of effexor .i went off topamax to see if the headaces came from the effexor,but they are back .im starting on topamax again on mon. my weight has stayed the same.
Hello All-
New poster to the forum and new to Topamax (third week on it at 50mg AM and 50mg PM). I am mainly taking it for migraines after going off Elavil due to gaining so much weight while on it, so I am looking forward to the weight loss side effects. Some side effects of Topamax I have noticed are occaisional tingling, mainly of fingers, fatigue, and soda pop that contains sugar tasting horrible. Diet pepsi however has been unaffected for me. The one side effect that concerns me which I have never seen mentioned is feeling extremely dehydrated. My lips stick together and I'm hitting the water cooler at work about every 20-30 minutes and I'm drinking 6-8 ounces at a time. I'm thinking this might be contributing to the fatigue. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just an oddity? Looking forward to your suggestions and comments.
hi my name is netty and i live in australia i have been put on tropamax for epilepsiy witch i have not taken anything for for ten years i have been controling myself as i found my trigger but i think now that i am getting older my body chemistry is changing .well i put on weight with the other epilepsy medication i was on ten years ago they also sent me blind and i got kidney faliaur sorry bad spelling .well when does the weight loose start on this tablet i have only been taking it for a week write me and let me know.
  I am new to this site.  I was put on Topamax to help control my panic attacks.  I had previously been on Bu Spar and experienced a 60-70 lb. weight gain *yikes* For a young woman (22) that's major.  I have been taking Topamax for one full week and have been advised to increase my dosage from one tablet at night to one twice a day.  I am reluctant to increase my intake due to the side effects.  Weight loss has not been noticable yet, however, the confusion, tingling, drowsiness, and faint headaches are all I have really experienced.  I was hoping someone out there could give me some idea as to when to expect these less favorable side effects to subside.  Thanks, Ashley
Hi Everyone,
How are you doing.Me pretty good. My headaches have been minimal.I have had a level off in the weightloss,but that is okay.I still dont have an appetite,but my husband has been bringing home junk food.I mean my will has been awful.I didnt have but one headache this month. Of course it was durring my cycle,but not as bad as last months. I am really glad of that.I have still had tingling,in the fingers and feet. Grouchy and libido down the drain.Can anyone tell me if these are some side effects they experienced weeks after starting the medication.I did better 3 weeks after i started than i am now 2 months latter. I just want to know if these effects seem to level off eventullly .......... help... Davetterrrr
Hey everyone,
I have a question for you? My doctor is a great guy and gave me tons of samples for topomax (topamax).I didnt get any directions though. I went on vacation this weekend and everyone was having a glass of wine and i thought hey that would be nice,but then i thought hmmm i never drink and my new meds may have some serious side effects to alchol.I am currious if anyone here has ever had the occasional drink with this medication and if so if it was okay.
I started taking topamax when I was 188 pounds about 1 year ago.. now I weigh 120.. I just lost my job because I can't remember anything.. I was driving down the road .. the same road I drove down every day for 4 years and I all of a sudden couldn't remember where I was going or where this road led too.. This is pretty scary.. this happened quite a few times during my topamax days.. actually right now.. I am being weined off topamax down from 200 a day to as it is right now 50 mg.. It is very difficult.. my head feels like it is going to explode.. all I can do is lay in bed.. I am fussing at my poor little 4 year old.. I feel depressed.. Topamax ruined my life..

Well I am sure it didn't but I would have been better off without it.. I used to say hey everyone try this great drug.. makes you lose weight.. it also makes you lose your memory.. I thought I was going to have to go on disability.. but my memory is coming back.. if I survive the night sweats and if my head doesn't explode.. I think I will be alright.. I am eating alot now..

I am on wait I can't remember.. let me think..Wellbutrin.. 100.. I am taking myself off of that .. because that is why I think I am depressed and night sweats and drinking water all the time.. and I am on um... Lithium 300 .. that I believe will work for me.. since I am bi-polar.. and I do have mood swings.. but the Wellbutrin is making me want to die.. so since it is Easter Weekend and my doctor isn't there I will take myself off of it.. I am tired of seizure medicine anyway.. Wellbutrin can cause seizures...  Oh.. forgot to tell you.. don't smoke pot while you are on Topamax.. I had two seizure's.. duh.. man I felt like people were slapping me all over my body and I could hear my husbands voice fading away.. and I was going into the darkness.. I was actually choking on my tongue..

It sucked.. Well, Oh I am on Xanex too.. that was hard for the doctor to give me.. I had to go to a regular doctor for that.. then the psychologist just agreed I needed it.. I felt alot of tension in my chest.. so I need it 3 times a day..

Anyway .. don't want to bore you with my story..

I hope I survive.. and you guys too. be careful with Topamax.. I would never get on it if I were you unless you actually have had seizures.. I mean to lose weight.. that is not worth what I am going through now.. This is HELL.
Hey,
I have talked with others about going off of the medication and they say it is like you need to go to rehab.I really am so sorry you have had to go threw this. I have been trying to do some reading on this drug because i am very curious of what i am getting myself into. The studies have shown this drug to be inafective for use in mood stabilizers,seizuers and weightloss.The only thing it seems to be good for long term is migrains.Witch i have struggled with my entire life. I have had great success with this medication although some side effects.I only take 50mgs a day and i do forget small things now and then. I really started to notice mood swings,tingling of the fingers and low libbido.Also my spelling has gone to the pitts. So i appologize. Well I have lost 15lbs but that isnt why i started the topomax (topamax).I am on the ride for the loss of head pain.I had loss of memory and motor skills after my head aches so i guess i really am just experincing some of the effects at a minimal daily balance instead of after a huge migraine.
It basically ruined me as well.  I was driving my kids to their dentist appt. and I couldn't remember how to get there--it was very scary.  I also had a lot of other bad reactions to it.  While I did lose weight on it, which is why I was prescribed it from my dr., I gained 30 pounds within 3 weeks of going off of it!!!  Has anyone else experienced this?  Now, I can't lose any weight since I've been off it of for about a year.
what was the reason the doc put you on topamax?was it for bipolar or headaces? lithium 300 carb can cause weightloss and memory loss.topamax realy helps for headaces alote.you seem to be takeing a couple of different things,plus smoked pot on top of it how can you pin point it to topamax.i think pot can cause memory loss too . i wish you luck!!!!
I am finding that I have a lot of questions with thi medicine. Some of you are on this for different reasons. I guess my question is directed to the migraine sufferers(spelling?) I was put on this strictly for migraines. I did gain 10 -12 pounds being on my other meds. I am now coming off of the other and am now taking 100 mg a day of topamax. I havent noticed any weight loss yet. I am more concerned that it works for the headache than weight loss at this point for me. I do suffer from them very badly and I really would like to have relief. I have just had a headache that lasted one week. I know I have to give this new medicine time to work so that is my question to you all.. About how long does it take for it to start to notice that it works? For the headache? The weight loss too? That would be a plus for me. Thanks.
Have had a BAD few weeks. Have not posted due to depression. I have not been able to handle some family issues very well. I am not doing very well. Lost all hope/motivation. I am not having any migrains, but i do get some cluster headaches here and there, and i am sure they are stress induced. I have not lost anymore weight. I do not care about much. weight, or otherwise.
9i know negativity is nothing anyone here wants to read, but i am all about honesty, and i am just being honest. So lets be honest here.... Topamax is not helping as a mood stablizer... and what happend to my 300mgs of welbutrin? ha ha ha. I do not know. I continue to medicate myself everyday, but for what? where is it getting me? honestly?  Am i risking unnessacary nasty side effects for nothing at all? because that is what i feel like i am doing.
Maybe i will get lucky and this dark cloud hanging over my head will leave me alone... and i can go back to being semi-okay.... i do not know. I wish i had a normal family. I hale from an alcoholic/domestic violence family. My dad was a drunk. He abused my mom. My mom and dad are still together, although he put her through a living hell, and me and my siblings had to live through it as well. And now that we are all grown up, my dad is now a "sometimes recovering alcoholic" and my mom, well, she is another story. She takes almost everything out on me. We had a great big blow up on the saturday before easter, and it was over something EXTREMLY PETTY... and, now it is really bringing me down. The abused is now the abuser. And she is abusing me. I am 30years old.... Why do i take it? I have been the care taker to this (my) family all my life... I have had enough. What do i do? I wish i had the patience and space and time to tell you everthing that went down on that day, to be able to ask for a wide variety of advice, but i do not want to go any further into it. it would take to long. maybe later. I just do not know what to do.  i have had enough.  I am thinking of letting go... cutting my ties to my mother. But i do not know that i can.  i am so mentally drained right now.  Oh well, so much for my "happy pills" comming to my rescue. They were not there for me the last few days when i needed them. Oh, they were in my system, but i think they went into "pause" mode for a few days....
well, i think i've vented enough. And bored everyone enough.
ttyl
Dawn.
Re:  drinking on topamax

DAVETERR -  I have been on topamax now for about two months.  I have noticed that i am not able to drink anymore.  By that I mean, I used to be able to drink socially, even on antidepressants without any effect different than the usual.  I'd have a few drinks socially over the course of a few hours, wait awhile, and go home.  Now, I have tried to do that twice since topamax and I feel drunk and sleepy.  I am unable to drive.  It takes much less for me to be affected by alcohol now.  So you made a good choice by not drinking the wine, or by at least giving it thought.  I'm not sure if we should be even drinking at all on this drug, but at the very least, we should all know that it can make you drunk much sooner than your body is accustomed to and you should not plan to drive at all.

Anna
Hey girl,
I am so sorry that i havent wrote in awhile. I hope this makes you feel better,I also have been feeling sucky too. Boy we are a pair.Well letts get off our soap box and at least get happy about somthing. My somthing is this delicious cheese cake i ate last week.He He .. When depressed eat.ha ha. I guess my depression goes hand and hand with my hand and mouth disease. Every thing that hits my hand food wise hits my mouth. Well okay i told you the truth. I fell off the wagon and it rolled over me a few times. I hope you feel better. Now it is your turn.Tell me your sins.And back on track we go.I am sorry to here about your family life.I also came from a jerry springer family episode.Hey when in need to cry about it just laugh.What the heck else can we do.I am still here. Hey if you ever want to just exchange email we can. Go for that last ben and jerrys double brownie fudge icecream tonight and meet me at the treadmill in the morning or afternoon. when you arnt cleaning the house,working a job,cooking dinner,washing clothes,doing homework with the kids or what ever other duties we seem to have besides just doing somthing for ourselves.Man how in the world do recken we get depressed????????He He HeDavetterrrr
Hey thank you for your post.I was very currious because many people say it can cause seizures if you drink on topomax (topamax). I wasnt sure if that was it you took topomax (topamax) specifically for sexzures and it just didnt work or if even if you took it just for migrains that it would cause seizures.I take topomax (topamax) for migraines. I usta get them all the time .. Now once a month. I am doing remarkably well with some side effects. My side effects are slow weightloss,finger tingling,bad spelling,memory loss,grouchy,and loss of libbido.hey some people would say that is enough to say good by topomax (topamax),but my migrains were even worse. for days at a time i was shut up in my room with no daily life.at least now i have some sort of life.I really appreciate you writing me and sharing your experience's on topomax (topamax).I also talk with others.I have learned so much about this drud in the past couple of months.The bigest thing i have learned is that for long term use the drug is only known to work on migrains.The use on weightloss,mood stabiliazers and seizures seems to fail over the course of a year for most not all though. I am hoping that mixed with other meds it will work for all problems.I am lucky and i hope everyone can have luck.Thank you again ... keep in touch and let me know how you are doing.Davetterrr
So sorry it took me so long to post again.
But faimily life is not any better, only worse. And you would think that i could get depressed enough to put down the fork, right? (lol) not! I do the opposite. I think all i did was gain some water weight and maybe a pound or two. Nothing i cannot loose. It is so hard to stomache, you know? the idea that My very exsistance means squat to my mother. It is something that is gonna be hard for me to get over. I have not spoke to her since that day. I plan to not speak to her. I have had enough of her abuse, Like i said, i am 30 years old. Time to learn to let go of whats eating me, so that i can quit OVER eating.
I AM SO INTERESTED IN EXCHANGING E MAIL ADDRESSES!!! DO YOU EVER DO THE YAHOO INSTANT MESSAGING THING? I DO..... WE COULD CHAT THERE!!!
i realy look forward to reading your comments to me, you are a dear friend, who seems to care about me, and we've never even met! we're like pen pals! LETS STAY THAT WAY!!!
we are alot alike.... we can see eachother through our rocky rides through this journey called " medicated life" (lol)
well,
thanks for being there.
Let me know about the e-mail, yahoo thing. leave an address or yahoo IM id on the next posting, or lets talk about a way we can meet through yahoo in a chat room if you are not comfortable posting for all to see.... cause we can do that in private, so that those do not have to be shared.
Thanks,
Dawn.
Hey,I just finished my 2nd chips ahoy cookie.Boy it was good.I did do better today.I only had 3.I did have a weight watcher meal for lunch and a small dinner.I here you with the family stuff.I have a family from down under.It has gotten better as i get older.I have tried to shelter my daughter from it.I have been on a eating binge too.I think we probable got our hopes up on this wonder drug.I think we had the illusion that we would instantley be skinny and lean for summer and summer hot weather snuck up on us and we reallized the illuzion wasnt happening, but we can help each other get back on track.The drug is a good drug.It doesnt do wonders,but can help.We need to start telling each other good things about our day and ourselver too...Ill go first.I tried golf for the first time today.he he.I also giggled with my daughter about fibbing on her home work paper.We are suppose to boycot t.v this week,but we didnt so we fibbed and said we did. oh well we lied ..Hey have you tried those new lean Quizin Chicken blt sandwitches? they are awesome..I like them alot..I have also had a pinapple craving.Well My email address is ***@**** letts write.Smile the world will wonder what you are up too.......
oh yeah no exercise all week (oops am i bad)ha ha (yes)Davette
My friends and Family call me Daie. So that means you can too.
ok ive been on topamax for probably almost a year now.  im struggling with constipation.  its cured my migraines so theres no way im going to go off it, but is anyone else having this problem?  is there a solution i dont know about?  im trying flaxseed oil.  i read that a while ago but its not working.  help!
miralax!
I JUST STARTED TOPAMAX ON 05/08 25MG @ NIGHT AND AM JUST STARTING TO FEEL IT, JUST WAITING FOR THE LOSS OF APPETITE TO KICK IN BUT MAYBE IT WILL WHEN I START TAKING 25MG IN MORING AND @ NIGHT, DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK THEM TO START LOSING THE WEIGHT OR @ LEAST LOSING THE APPIETE?
what vitiams work good with topamax also , sorry all the weird ?? just new and want all the info on this , ya know??
i take topomax (topamax) for sleep problems.. it works like a charm.. but it doesn't work for weight loss. i take from 100-200 mg.
is any one in  here suffering in here from migraines and how many mils did the doc give u to lose lose the weight and did any one  get this description. for disk problem and why
I've been on 300 mg of topomax (topamax) to stabalize my mood for over a year. My hair is falling out, I lost 20 pounds [ am now 110 ] and situations in my life have made me no happier as of late. I also have a terrible memory, but, I always have. I just wonder now if it's only made it worse. I think I'm addicted to it because I also have an eating disorder that I've been suffering with for years, and, this drug has  made me lose weight, so I never want to go off of it.

Scary stuff, when you don't know if you or the drug is what's hurting you.

Hi All,

I just started taking Topamax perscribed by Dr. for Fybromyalgia, has anyone noticed severe night sweats when they first started taking this medication? I am on day four of 25mg and I am awakened about every hour just fripping with sweat, I would love to hear from someone with the same symptoms and does it go away?
Been on Topamax a month and a half up to 100 mg a day now, still waiting for the loss of appetite I hear about? Not really feeling anything yet at all.except for tingles, wondering if the dose just isnt there yet?
February 2 2011
Day 2. Heard mixed reviews. None in recent years. Given for migraines with added bonus of mood stabilizer and weight loss. Desperate for all.  Will post progress.
hey,
I'm 21 and have just been prescribed topamax and am slowly moving off epilim for seizure control. I'm on my 5th day of 25 mg and over the next 7 weeks will move up to 200 mg a day.  
to sluffy- After reading a lot of forums some people appear to lose weight or have reduced appetite almost immediately whereas some people take weeks or months for that side effect to kick in, so I guesse it just depends on the individual- but I am hoping for that side effect too!
Just wondering if anyone has tried drinking alcohol whilst on topamax- particularly those with epilepsy and how it effects them and if it induces any seizures. On the information sheet for topamax it states not to drink any alcohol at all so was just wondering what the actual effects would be.

thanks guys :)  
I have been on Topamax for a few weeks now, and I find I am having a lot of issues with memory and forming coherent thoughts. This is a very large issue with me as I have always been a very eloquent communicator.

I have noticed I hate soda now. That is awesome, as I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I cannot drink it anyway. I am losing weight, and that... is honestly a blessing.

The migraines are getting better, but I had two last week. My doctor just bumped me to 150mg a day, then I go to 200mg if that does not work.

I learned last night why we should not drink on this stuff... It makes things look weird, like trails. I never took it, but people tell me it's like what you would experience on something like acid. I do not know if that is typical as I am reacting pretty strongly to the medication. Anyway, I had to leave my friends bonfire. I only had 3 beers, which tasted like apples (thanks to the Topamax), as I had quite a buzz. So, I will not be drinking again, that is for sure.
I had been using Topamax for a few years for Migraine prevention and it worked wonders.  I just recently restarted my prescription but I don't know which is more effective for minimizing headings--taking it at night or in the a.m.

I sure it's helped you.
I was on Topamax for 2 years, I had t come off of it due to the fact it was making my eye sight so bad, I had laser surgery back in 2008, I had 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other, I could see anything regardless how close or how far away, since being on Topamax for the past 2 years (Dec. 2009-Dec 2011), I can still see great far away, I canno see anything up close anymore, and all my doctors agree it was the Topamax that caused it, and not only did it ruin some of my eye sight, but it didn't help with my migraines at all, so for anyone that takes it and it helps them and doesn't affect their eyes, I'm sooo happy for you, I for one will never take it again...But, I had to try it to find out, so no-one is to blame, you live and learn...Good luck to all that are on it or that are going to try it...
Anyone out there taking topamax for a tremor?????? I was reading thru to see but there are so many lol.....thoght Id try to take a shortcut....thanks in advance
Sam
Im starting my generic for topamax im a little concerned about the side affects, hesitating on taking my pills, any one got some good advise, please let me know??
Topamax is wonderful and it has helped my migraines tremensously.  I have suffered from migraines all my life and AS LONG AS YOU TAKE YOUR MEDICATION AT NIGHT AND GET YOUR FULL EIGHT HOURS SLEEP you will do just fine.  Yes, when you are tappering up on your medication (getting use to you medication) you will have tingling in your hands and feet but that will only last for a little while.  I take 100 mg and I have lost 30 pounds since last October, 2012.  This is the third time I have been on Topamax.  This medication is great, it's wonderful and I received my B.A; M.S. and presently working on my PhD. without a migraine and I am so blessed.  Do not let people tell you any different about Topamax because if they do it's only because they are taking this medication during the DAY.  WHO CAN FUNCTION TAKING THIS MEDICATION DURING THE DAY????? I sure can't.   I hope this comment has help all those thinking about getting on this medication.  

Guillerma
i was told to take half in the am and half in the pm...depends on the person i guess..
I started it around 6 weeks ago and still have the cluster migraine and it really gets bad in the evening and I can't hardly see, I seen my doctor last week and he said it took time to get in system so I don't know what to do but I have lost around 20lbs,