weight gain after hysterectomy
after my hysterectomy at 45yrs old I am gaining weight fast...never had mood swings or sweats...taking no harmones..does anything help?Trying all over the counter pills and etc. nothing working...HELP!!
I worked very hard to lose 120 pounds, only to have to have a hysterectomy and I have gained 60 with in a year! I am devastated, taking over the counter diet pills and prescribed diet pills from my MD. I am very depressed about this and was wondering, any women out there have this problem? I am not on hormones either.
I am 33 and have had a full Hysterectomy since I was 24. I have gained so much weight but this past year it has been bad. I was exercising and eating healthy and can't loose a thing. One pound would be nice you know. I was taking yoga 3 times a week, kick boxing and water aerobics 2 times a week. The doctor said I had to do cardio 7 days a week. Well speaking to real personal trainers they said every to her day.  So, I kicked it up to biking 3 miles every other day.Still nothing! ! ! I have been trying since December and it is June now. All kinds of diets did not work either. So I went to an Endocrinologist. They tested my Thyroid levels and they are fine. They think it is all hormonal. I am on cenestin hormone replacement. It helps for the hot flashes but you still I am gaining weight. They said that people who have had Hysterectomy's are missing a key ingredient which I forgot what it was but it started with the letter "L" does not matter because so far there is no replacement for it. I guess they have seen tons of women with the same problem. Sad thing is there is no way to measure or test for it today. I was told we were a year out from being able to get answers for it. I was put on a list for trail medications. I am sorry to bring bad news but so far I have not found why I am gaining. Oh yeah a nutritionist saw my meal planner and said it was great so I know I am not eating junk food and that is why I am gaining weight. I feel the Cenestin ( Hormone replacements) help with mood swings, and hot flashes but we are still missing something that we need.
I had a partial hysterectomy (I got to keep one ovary) after my second baby, and I haven't been able to lose any weight either.  I was also lactating over a year after I had quit nursing my baby and I was having horrible hair loss.  My thyroid tests kept coming up in the normal range, but I still didn't feel well.  I was wearing three shirts and sitting in front of a space heater in an 82 degree Farenheit house-- oh yeah, with a blanket to trap the heat around me-- and the doctors kept telling my my thyroid, the gland that regulates body temperature, metabolism, and other hormomes, was working fine.  I went to an endocrinology professor/ physician who wanted me to take a radioactive thyroid function test.  I've got enough potential cancer causing issues to deal with, so I refused the make-my-thyroid-glow test.  Instead, the doctor prescribed a natural thyroid replacement with T2 and T3, and then I felt great, wasn't cold, stopped lactating, and my hair was growing back.  I asked the endocrinologist if it could possibly be the placebo effect since I've been convinced that it was a thyroid problem the entire time.  He told me that the placebo effect doesn't regrow patches of hair, stop hormomal lactation, or make me drop five pounds in two weeks.  Moral of the story: Check with a specialist about the possiblity of supplementing your thyroid hormone with a low replacement dose for a couple months.  It worked for me to a certain degree, and may be helpful for you just to see if you're one of the thousands who have "normal" labs but problematic thyroid symptoms.  So now I still gain three pounds of water weight having an ovary still cycle monthly.  But I also remember why my husband and I never used hormone based birth control-- it keeps the weight on, and a woman can expect to gain about five pounds for every year she takes the hormomes.  I wish you luck with your current treatment regimen.  I know how frustrating it can be when your body gains weight for no apparent reason and refuses to take it off.  I've gone for the lipodissolve on my abdomen since my pregnancy, hysterectomy surgery, and scar left me with stubborn fat that diet and exercise won't cure.  Hopefully, it will kill the fat cells and not just remove the triglycerides from them.
I am also gaining weight fast after my surgery.  It is so depressing.  I have never been overweight and do not want to be. Can anything help?
I had  lost 100# and sucessfully kept if off for 1 1/2 years.  then I too had a hysterectomy.  they left 1 ovary.  I had the surgery in early aug. and its now late january and I have put on nearly 60#!!
Most of it in the stomach, rib and butt.  I look pathetic, and am so afraid of being fat agian.  I cook good healthy meals, I live on a farm and am outside doing chores ect.  I have found that I have an INSATIABLE sweeet tooth that I have NEVER had.  so i dont keep sweets in the house.  
I am so relieved to know that some of you have experienced the dame problems.. i was bcoming very depressed as well.  
Tiffany
I am in the same situation I have tried everything. If anyone comes up with a way to lose weight after a hysterectomy we will all be millionaires!
Well I be damn, I'm not the only hysterectomy-notwannabe out there. I'm 38 and I had a hysterectomy in Oct.07 , I still have both ovaries,but I have gained about 15 lbs since the surgery, there has to be something out there for us. I thought you would lose weight with the damn surgery,what is going on?
I had thyroid cancer in 1994 and gained 60 pounds almost immediately.  I do not take thyroid pills nor do any tests come out abnormal after my surgery.  Then in 1998 I had uterine cancer and they took all my female parts including both ovaries.  I am fatter than I have ever been in my life and no matter what I do, the weight stays on.  I exercize daily, eat healthy, no fast food or junk and still nothing.  I went on Jenny Craig for 9 months, followed it to the key and lost 1 pound.....what can I do?  I feel like at first I did the surgeries to save my life, now I feel as if I am going to lose my life from being obese and have no control regarding what happens....

Does anyone have a solution???

Helpless in San Diego
I had a C-Section with Partial Hysterectomy in Sept.07 and I have not been able lose any weight since the procedure. Now of course I lost the weight of my son (6#11oz), the weight of the uterus, and the excessive 10# water weight I was carrying in my swelling body- That totaled about 20lbs. I weigh the same right now as I did at my 6wk postop. My son is almost 7mos old and I am so embaressed of my weight. I weigh 40lbs more than I did pre pregnancy and have NEVER weighed this much out of pregnancy in my life. I am exclusively nursing my son. Now I know nursing is supposed to help you take off the weight but I am afraid that's not happening. It maybe keeping me from gaining more Who knows? I have decided to go to my Dr and see if there is anything else I can to do to shed atleast a pound or two- I am eating well and trying to exercise every day.
At least after reading this I know that I am not alone with this isssue. Good Luck to All and God Bless.
Hello Ladies,
I had a complete hysterectomy in November 2007.  Well let me tell you I can relate to all of you.  I am 5'5" and now 185 pounds maybe more.  I was always skinny.  I was between 115 and 120.  I will be 42 this year and I cannot believe how much I am still suffering in so many ways after this horrible surgery.  I now know that mine was unnecessary and I had other options.  Not only I have I gain an enormous amount of weight but I lose all of my desire for sex and cannot have an O.  I am not sure if I am allowed to say the O word here or not?  I continue to suffer with hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, horrible headaches, my bones ache so much, I could go on and and on.  I am so depressed and now reading that there is nothing I can do to lose weight I am even more depressed.  I have doctors who seem to not know what they are talking about or just don't care.  I really hope that researchers take this problems seriously and other problems we suffer after having a Hysterectomy!!  I empathize with all of you.  I just cannot stop crying.  I feel like I am a completely different person in another persons body!
I had a hyster in 05. Same situation as all of you. I have gained 23lbs after working at Weight Watchers and losing 52lbs in 03.
I have started researching weight gain and hysterectomies just yesterday. I am a Christian, believer in JC. After all the mood swings, depression, anger, loss of sexua desire, no O's, arms that can wave goodbye and hello at the same time, kept journals (I started WW again for the 50th time and write everything that goes into my mouth, I read every label, no MSG, no aspertame, I also have the insatiable sweet tooth. I HAVE HAD IT.
I am putting all my faith in God for guidance. I WILL dig deep into all my research and I WILL find a way to stop this weight gain and I WILL unzip and walk out of this body I do not know and find myself again.
I will post all new findings as I search to try and help all of us.
Yes, I too attend a health club, eliptical and bike 30 mins, circuit training, my trainer says this, (no hitting please ladies-although I could have punched him)..."Weight gain is a mind issue. Weight gain occurs when you put food in your mouth eat it, it goes into your stomach and so and so, then you do not burn off more calories than you eat."
"A woman 40 and older should normally be eating 1,950 calories a day. To lose 2 lbs a week you need to subtract 500 calories a day-down to 1,450 calories a day. That is how it's calculated. You can live on 1,200 normally (any woman) eating healthy and lose or if you are at your desired weight you should use 1,200 to maintain.
OK, for me I have "suffered" long enough. Lost to many days, months and now years being miserable. Drs, truly don't know, nor do they truly care. When they prescribe a med, they make big $. I personally am on a compound bio-identical hormones. Triest 3.75, 0.5 Test. It is made by a compounder at Walgreens. There are only so many compounders around so do your homework. I to have "been back" to the drs with the,"I'm gaining weight issue." She just said, "You have to step up working out and pay close attention to your food intake."
I would like to recommend reading or going to Barnes/Knoble (a bookstore) a book called, "The Menopause Bible." No, it's not religious, it has some great advice on all subjects. I read alot of it yesterday and am going to Amazon.com to purchase a used one opposed to buying the $27.50 B/K price.
I WILL BE BACK, so watch for my research and results, I will share it all!  We will never have to stand behind the camera lense again!
Blessings: Bonnie
I too have been gaining weight like crazy!  I had my uterus and cervix removed in 2002 and then in April of 2007 had my ovaries and tubes removed.  After the first sugery I was about 110lbs and have kept it off until the second surgery.  I now weigh 147lbs and I am only 4'10".  I work out every day intensely and only drink water.  I eat very little, only salads and protein.....and my clothes are getting tighter.  The dr. has me on HRT, which makes me tired, but I still get horrible night sweats.  I'm only 47 and have always looked younger than my age.....now I think I look 10 years older!  It's very depressing.  I can relate to everyone else that's going through this.

I plan on buying "The Menopause Bible" for any advise I can get.

Thanks,
Trish
i am 22 yrs old and going the 11th of april for a histerectomy (cervix, uterus, and tubes {leaving overies}) i am now very worried since i have read a lot of what you all have written in here. i am trying to lose weight and do not want to gain weight and certainly do not want to lose my sexual desire or my o's. i was just wondering if any of you out there have had these problems and have had the exact type of histerectomy as i am because maybe then i shouldn't go and get it done. please write back asap. thanks
In november of 06 I had a parial hysterectomy. Unfortunatley I was diagnosed with HPV. I had two options, #1 was to have my cervix scraped and hopefully the disease wouldn't spread to my uterus. #2 was to have my cervix and uterus removed, removing any chance of the virus spreading. I chose the partial hysterectomy. I was only 27 at the time. Here I am almost 30 and steadily gaining weight regardless of the 3 miles I run daily.
If I could do it all over again I would have chosen any other method known to man, other than a hysterectomy. My advice to anybody facing the possibility of even recieving a partial hyst. is DON"T DO IT! If possible look for any alternate route available.
Boy, some of you are awfully young to be getting hyterectomies. I had one in 1996, (left the ovaries) I was bleeding to death, and the quack I was seeing... well, it's a long story. Anyway, after having my "big O uterus" (that's what the butcher called it) removed, I too, went from a voluptuous 155 to 220 lbs!  I'm 5'8", and was always in great shape. Any how, Ashley.... why are you getting a hysto? I found out later that I could of gotten the fibroid tumors removed from my uterus. It is easier for Docs to just cut everything out. Please get another opinion, if you haven't done so. Get on these search engines and read everything you can. So much has been documented that these operations are UNNECESSARY!  As far as the rest of you, I can only tell you what I have done for myself.       For years I have taken "more than recommended" doses of calcium, vitamins C, D, E and super B. I also take this supplement called Venacura. When I do feel I'm "heating up" I drink a large glass of something cold, I sleep almost sitting up. I don't "diet" (it's  another FOUR letter word) and I don't exercise. I don't have time... I work ten hours a day. However, I feel great!  No blood pressure or cholesterol or sugar problems. I'm still alive at 55!  Try to stick to natural foods... even real sugar. The artificial sweetners are making people fat!  I know it's hard. (have you seen the price of oranges)! But, it's the way our parents ate. Nothing bagged, boxed or canned!  Just take it easy on the bacon!  Good luck to Ashley and God Bless you all!  Cynthia, a fat, but healthy and happy gal
I had a complete hyterctomy in Dec 2007, I am 39 now, I was very concerned about weight gain as I have struggled my whole life with it. I to date have gained 10 pounds, truly I eat whatever I want and exercise very little, the weight gain seemes to be more from bloating from the hormones, some women don't gain any weight. If the surgery is for health reasons don't worry about the weight. It is nice not to be bothered every mouth, also I have not lost my sex drive. good luck
How is this possible yet we have men on the moon. There must be a solution to the weight gain I am reading about. I have a large fibroid growing on my uterus and my doctor is recommending a partial hysterectomy.It has been there for over 6 years and is now putting pressure on by bladder. Frankly it sucks! He said due to the size there are not really other options to decrease the ongoing discomfort. But know I am stuck and don't know if I should live with mild-severe discomfort or let it lie and maintain my shape. I am 41 years old and have already been diagnosed as infertile which in itself was very depressing. The last thing I want to think about is the possibility of more depression and mood swings that occur when your body, sex drive and energy are not in sync. We have a newly adopted son and I am not getting any younger. Any advice would be helpful. I am a happy, easy going person by nature and just want to enjoy this new gift of motherhood.
I had a hysterectomy two months ago for uterine cancer. I had fibroids which caused heavy bleeding and anemia but was going to opt for different surgery as there are a lot of things out there. The trick is finding a dr that knows how and is experienced.  The deal seems to be as stated by CindyLooWho that hyst.. are the easiest for them.  Women are still behind the power curve, however, when it comes to knowing about the hormonal effects caused by loss of ovaries, uterus, etc.  I have read there are at least 13 hormones produced by our female parts yet they concentrate on replacing 3, estrogen, progesterone, and testorone.  It would seem that we would have many problems when they take out our parts.  And I have to believe that weight problems are caused by loss of these hormones.  I have been eating healthy and small portions because I have not been hungry for more.  I lost 11 pounds with surgery but no more. I am surprised and am not giving up. Hang in there women.   And please, please , please young lady if you have not gotten more then one opinion about your need for a hyster. please do so.  Study up on what is available. It could be the best thing that happened to you, but I am all for keeping all of our bits and pieces as long as possible. They were put there for a reason.
Don't do it! I was told the only way to be pain free, cervical cancer free, HPV free was to have that horrible surgery! I am 26. I had the HystoCRAP Oct. 18th, 2006. I am suffering more now than ever before. I have high blood pressure, I still have an incredible amount of pain, joint pain, extreme headaches, and I am so tired all the time. i was fortunate to have had my son before this, but I have to look around at all the beautiful babies and realize that I will never again have that feeling in my arms from my womb. I had endometriosis and fybroids and evrything else...whatever....had the surgery to still have pain. I have had my gallbladder and apendix removed because they thought that might be the pain...still in pain and now they are looking back and seeing that all of the pain could actually be going back to the fact that I have chronic kidney stones! Stupid freakin doctors! They are human just like us. I have no clue why we put so much faith in them! Plus....I have gained 27lbs and ..... If you are doing this because of anything endometriosis related issues do your research. No matter what the doctor tells you...it can still come back after a full hysterectomy. There have been tons of cases because there was a seed left behind and behold 3 years later some poor woman starts bleeding and thinks she is dying because she has nothing to bleed from until she goes to the doc and there it is....she has endo. back. Just don't do it. there are other options and it's not worth the risk of all the health risk that come after. i almost died after mine because of the bleeding and then 3 days after went back because of extreme infection. DON'T DO IT!

God Bless and best of Luck!
lord give us strength.  I had a hysterectomy in 03 leaving one ovary.  my sex drive has not changed but my body size has.  35 lbs.  i'v tried over the counter drugs, exercise, now i'm go through a doctor for prescribed pills and fluid pills and nothing seems to work.  it a shame that doctors do not listen to what we are trying to say.  i'm glad to know that their is support out there.  i'm eating right, low carbs, but nothing works.  it hurts, and my husband just does not understand that i'm trying.  I tell him all the time that something is wrong with my body.  i also just had the thyroid test done AGAIN and as usual all is fine.  i'm also noticing my hair keeps breaking off.  Can anyone help me with a natural hormone.
I'm 43 years old, I had a complete hysterectomy (minus cervix) in Dec '07, due to Ovarian cancer, and had undergo 5 months of chemotherapy.  You'd think, I would have loss weight during chemo, but no way, I gained.  I completed chemo a little over a month ago, and I've been working out and eating healthy, only 1200 calories a day, plus 1 hour of intensive exercise.  I lost 8 lbs in the first week, yet doing the exact same thing, gained it all back the next, plus a pound. Now it's up a pound, down a pound, up two pounds.

I'm so confused and frustrated..I could spit.   I hope it gets better over time, especially sine its only been a month, but I'm not holding out any hope.  I'm happy to be alive, but damn this *****!!!  I had lost 50lbs before undergoing surgery and I'm depressed about this weight gain (I've gained back 45 of the 50 I lost).
I had a radical  hysterectomy 12 years ago. After many tests and trials, I was told I had fibromyalgia. I use an estrogen patch that helps with hot flashes and take B-12 shots every week as well as vit E and C . I have found nothing to help with sex drive.
I have been looking into HGH therapy for all this. The hormones contained in HGH should/and have had results( all good) for weight gain problems and ache and pains associated with hysterectomies.
i had a hysterectomy in 2003 at the time I was 165 and could diet and lose weight after the surgery my weight kept going up I know weight 212 I am currently stable a couple months ago I took the diet pill phetermine cut out all sodas and only drank water I also stuck to a stict 1200 calorie diet after one week I lost 13 pounds.once I quit the diet my weightcame back on I dont like taking pills butI will try again with the 1200 calorie diet and only water and see if I can lose again.I am so miserable because I have always ate everything and couldnt gain.I am 5'8 and use to always be 110 pounds a real bean pole after having four kids and a tubal i went to 165 and was satisfied now after a full hysterectomy I look in the mirror and get sick at the site
I've been told to stop the heavy monthy bleeding and clots a hysterectomy is needed.  I already fight weight gain at the age of 49 and after reading the postings I dont want this surgery. I am 5'2"and weigh 175 now.  There must be another option anyone out there with any suggestions please post.  I cant fight more weight gain.

Help please...
I had a hysterectomy in October.  I have gained 12 pounds since then, even though I am exercising at least an hour a day.  I felt better reading through the comments, knowing I wasn't alone, but it is scary when I don't see much hope.
For the person with Fibromyalgia, there is a good book out.
Go to:  thrivingwithfibromyalgia.com
I was going to send private messages to all who recently wrote until I realized just how many were struggling with all of this.

Take time to read my profile if you want. And, read the journal comments on Hormones and "Why I am Here."

I might be able to offer some resources and maybe some hope.

Take care,

Mary 53
I have spoken to many of the clinics who offer hcg and what I am getting is... this could be the answer for us.
Find a doc in your area who uses the hcg and see what happens.
I found a lot of the natural docs and chiros are getting into it, so what do you have to lose besides a few pounds and I will let you know what I found out.
I am 34 years old, I had Hysto in April 2006.  I had everything removed except left ovary.  I have 3 children and I have always been pretty skinny.  I was 99 lbs when got preg. with first child, gained 60 lbs, lost weight and went back to 110.  Got preg with 2nd child  gained 50 lbs, lost weight fast went back to 110 lbs.  3 years got preg. with last baby, gained 30 lbs. during pregnancy, found out I had HPV which was scary since I have had only one partner.  I accused him of cheating..... To come to find out my mom had same thing and had hysto a fews before me do to cancer from hpv.  After I had jacob I waited a year, I wanted to nurse him since my 2 child was diagnosed with Colitis at age of 3.  I wanted to make sure jacob would have a chance not to get colitis since no ones knows what causes it.  I nursed him for a year then during one of my many pap tests, found out I had cancer.  After surgery, I was still in pain,  dr. injected me with lupron  shots thinking I had endo.  so I did that for 3 months.  no relief.  I fired the dr. and went to Oncology GYNO. and she found mass on my only ovary left with 9 inch hernia.  So 7 months after hysto surgery, I was back into surgery for mass removal and hernia repair.  Took 12 weeks to heal again and I felt good.  I started to lose weight.  I got cleared to do some light working out.  I did that but about 6 months ago I was put on no exercise restriction due to my hernia repair to losen, since that I gained 30 lbs.  I am eating healthy, but the weight is coming on fast.  I believe it is water weight.  I am 150 lbs, 5'4.  I cant stand to see my face in the mirror.  I feel so bloated, like a water balloon.  I saw drs.. and they said I was depressed and tried to put me on different depression meds and made life worse.  I saw my internist and was tested and he laughted and said you dont  need depression drugs.  Your levels are great.  you are healthier then me and I am dr.  So I have not taken anything but weight keeps coming as do the body aches, and not sleeping at night.
Help.
Tanya
I had my hysterectomy in January 2007. I had many, many fybroids tumors and one was attached to the uterus.  Even though I protested and tried to find as many alternatives to the surgery as possible, I was told that the hysterectomy was the only solution; because of the numberous tumors and the location of the larger one.

Prior to the procedure I asked both doctors (the OB-GYN and my General Doctor) if the surgery would cause weight gain. I asked because I was already considered, by my doctor, to be moderately obese and I had just lost 20lbs, and didn't want to ever see it again. Both doctors said that I would not gain weight because I had a "partial hysterectomy."  I still have both ovaries.  However, I too am disappointed to report that they were both wrong. I am now at my highest weight ever in my life time 200lbs.

I paid a forturne to joined LA Weight Loss, I had had past success {30lb lost} with LA Weight Loss prior to the hysterectomy. I followed it to the letter for 12 weeks (which included a liquid fast, that I did twice) and lost NOTHING AT ALL. I was aggrevated, frustrated, humilated and I decided to give up on weight lost. Then, the doctor gave me Phentermine, which causes numbness and tingling in my left arm, and the weight is still stubborn. Thyroid checked out okay. And to top it off, when I asked him if he thought that the weight was hormonal related from the hysterectomy; he said NO it was not hormonal and stared pushing the "TEN YEARS YOUNGER" book, because he has had successful weight lost using the book. So I guess it is all in my head right, I know that I can go on a liquid fast twice in a 12 week period and not lose anything at all, but it is all in my head.

I found this forum, while searching for proof (to give to my doctor) that hysterectomies can cause weight gain. I would like to show him that their are many women in the world and all over the world battling with this problem.  It seems to me that some doctors don't want to do the research anymore.  They do not seem to be interested in finding solutions to medical problems, but pacifying them.  There seems to be a lack of concern for us, once they've butchered us up.  It seems like when the medical problems get too tough to diagnose, they want to just throw us away.

This is an appeal to an upcoming Medical Intern, please, please, please conduct a study to find out why so many of us women are gaining weight like a vengence, after hysterectomies.  And what can be done to stop this enemy and reverse its ugly damage on our bodies.  Like so many of these other ladies, I am still full of hope and I will be praying, believing and waiting on a cure/solution.
Some of you are very young to have had hysterectomies.  I had one at 43, last year, due to invasive fibroids. I still have both my ovaries.    I have gained about 30 lbs however the jury is still out.  Is it related to my surgery or my lifestyle changes?  I used to be very thin as I walked everywhere, worked out faithfully and watched what I ate.  When I found out about my fibroids I stopped exercising and ate everything in sight.  I still refuse to believe that my weight gain is a direct result of my surgery.   I did notice that most of my weight is around my stomach which is an area I never had a problem with.  I am going to make an effort to get back into my old routine of exercising etc and will see where it takes me.  
Just wanted everybody to know that you are not alone.  I am taking diet pills prescribed by my doctor and am gaining weight.  Never been big before.  Never struggled with diets.  Am so upset especially now that I read that it isn't just me.  I thought it was me because I wasn't eating correctly or getting enough exercise or something.  I refuse to starve myself to death to be thin, but yet I feel like I am dieing on the inside because I am not me.  I have gained 30 lbs in 3 months.  Mad at myself and mad because I only had a few cysts on my ovaries and the doctor removed everything not letting me know the side affects.  So upset with myself for not researching this.  At night I feel like I swell in my stomach.  In the mornings it doesn't feel that way.  Taking laxatives, diet pills and eating salads all day and raw vegetables,  Doesn't sound healthy does it.  But what do you do?  Get fatter?  I think not.   Am exercising too.  My friend told me that she ate rice cakes and drank water and she did that for   5 days and took 1 off not to splurge, but to eat normal and then started again.  If anyone hears of anything that may help, please write ***@**** and let me know.  I am so sad and upset and depressed that I can hardly stand myself.  
Anybody out there that is considering this hysterectomy surgery, make sure that it is a life or death situation.  Because the after affects are not worth it.  With pills without doesn't matter, the panic attacks , the sweats, the hotflashes, the weight gain, the rage you feel inside, not worth it.  Research and make sure you have thought about this before you go ahead and ruin the rest of your life.  I am 42.  I feel like I am 90 and ready to retire from any kind of relationship I have ever wanted because this is not me, who I used to be and it isn't about age, it is about this choice I made.  (should I say mistake).  
I'm in the same boat and feel so much better knowing I'm not alone.  Had a hysterectomy in '07 and they left the ovaries.  I'm gaining weight despite daily exercise and personal trainer.  Dieting doesn't work at all.  I'm consistantly throwing good money after bad by paying a trainer and she doesn't understand why I'm gaining weight.  She says it's all diet.  I disagree and glad to know I'm not going crazy.  Going to Dr. next week to get some advice, info, and hopefully some blood tests.  I've also had my thyroid removed so I'm on lifelone thyroid hormone too.  I work too hard to see such little results!   Anyone with thryroid removed too?
The simple truth is the female body is a complicated, interactive, computerized system that downloads a virus after a hysterectomy that causes the hard drive to malfunction as far as metabolism is concerned. Without that "L" chemical thingy that we lose when we have a hysterectomy...our goose is cooked!

We have a voice ladies, we need to use it to get help. We need someone in the medical/nutritional/weight management arena who is willing to take the time to help us balance our systems again...without those horrible toxic chemical hormone replacements! Did you know that one of the top hormone replacement therapy pills is PREgnant MARe urINe? That's what I was told at the health food store. I found out that we are gaining "estrogen fat!" Hmmmm...no kidding, Sherlock!

We need something natural that our bodies can understand. I have gained 40 lbs and have a horrible history of dual lineage and sibling diabetes and high blood pressure. Yes, I'm freaking out about my weight...I'm 52 years old!!!
I am writing once again after 2 weeks of walking 5-7 miles a day.  I stopped gaining, but my legs ache, still big and still craving high fat and sugar foods.  Still taking diet pills, still cranky, but haven't lost 1 single pound.  Let me ask you if this is too much food, or do you think it would make you gain.  I ate for 2 weeks now, I remind you.  Breakfast1 egg and 1 slice cheese 3 cups of coffe with creamer, lunch: raw carrots with fat free dressing, dinner: microwaveable pot pie and 17 grapes.  All day long I had 1-16 oz gatorade and at the end of the day I would drink 1 10 oz soda to keep from having withdrawals from caffeine.  I was drinking 3-4 sodas a day DIET COKE only.. and I would drink coolaid in between.  Some times water.  And that is it for two weeks.  Didn't even loose a quarter of a pound.  There is a chiropractor here that says that he can help with diets and pain, there is a gym here that have nutrition and weight trainers (fat trainers), but my worry is do they understand the reasoning behind having hysterectomies and weight gain.  weight watchers say they do, jenny craig says they do, diet doctors that give pills say they do, gynocologists say they do, but you know what, from what i have read and experienced, they do not.  I kinda wish I could find a female doctor that has experienced this and would know why and what to do about it.  These men doctors don't know what the heck they are talking about.  It, to me, is like me reading a book about Japan and going and telling my friends that I went there.  You know how people want laws passsed so they take it to a higher court and get up petetions and eventually they are heard and get to present their case?  This is a situation when women need to ban together and figure out a way to take this case to a medical board and make them figure out something that can stop this and doctors from giving unnecessary hysterectomies.  I wonder if a world magazine would be interested in these stories that I have read.  Is there anybody on here that might know a way to get the ball rolling?  I will write our local newspaper and see if they are interested and try to do some research on this, but I need your support and guidance as well.  HELP!!!!!!!!!  I think it is possible to get their attention, but it has to be a lot of people that ban together and do this, they aren't going to listen to a single person.  Thanks for listening.
I, too, have struggled with weight gain since having my hysterectomy. I do not regret the surgery, though. It probably saved my life, and gave me back a level of comfort I had forgotten could exist. Unlike some here, there were no good alternatives for me. I actually changed doctors begging for a hysterectomy, and I am delighted to be free of large painful precancerous tumors crushing my other organs, weakness and loss of mental clarify from anemia, and constant worry over repeated abnormal biopsies.

I have stopped my weight gain by drastically changing my eating habits and lifting light weights while doing aerobic type exercises, but I still haven't lost the weight I had already put on.

Now that I have been exercising regularly for a couple of months and trying to eat light snacks 7 or 8 times a day, I am not craving sweets or carbs the way I was before. For me, it seems more important to build some muscle in the arms, shoulders, abdomen and legs, than to spend hours a day walking. The muscle cells seem to crave more protein and fewer sugars and carboydrates.

I have also quit going out to eat, except one day each week, and then I will not go to a restaurant that does not offer something light that I enjoy. I just won't go. I am keeping packages of vegetables that can be steamed in the microwave, cans of vegetable soup, and yogurt on hand to snack on when I get in from work, because I am always hungry then.  I also started drinking a cup of tea in the middle of the afternoon along with a glass of water.

And I keep a daily calorie journal. For me, I have to write everything I eat down every single day. If I quit writing, I start eating poorly immediately.
I also had a hysterectomy when I was 29 (they left one ovary) I was not put on any hormones.  I gained over 30 lbs. the doctors kept telling me that I had to be eating to gain weight, that you only gain 5 or 6lbs right after your surgery.  I was so depressed and then 10 years later I had to have my thyroid radiated within 3 months I gained 69 lbs.  The Endocrinologists were heartless, they told me there was no connection to hypothyroidism and my 69 lb weight gain.  After hitting 197 lbs and being 5 ft 4 in. with asthma, sleep apnea, and boder line diabetis I quit my job and took out a loan for $14,000 and had lyposuction on most of my body.  The breast being down to a small C cup instead of an E or DD has helped tremendously with my breathing and the fat being sucked from my neck now lets me look down and swollow without choking.  My butt and thighs are still very big and my stomach is still large but I'm told this will shrink within 6 months.  I want to tell all of you, you know your body and you know your not sitting around all day cramming food down your throats and denying your doing it.  I too exercise and diet religiously to no results.  Please hang in there and do your best on a day to day basis.  I will let you know if the weight stays off.  The doctor removed 20lbs but I've only lost 10lbs to date (9 weeks later).  Hang in there everyone!
I posted earlier in August so I won't repeat my background.  But I, like many of you struggle with feeling like I'm going insane when I exercise more than I ever did and continue to watch what I eat.  Desperate is what I feel most times.  I've since been to consult with a naturopath here in Phoenix.  I really like her.  She's advised me to go on a gluten free diet, buy organic fats (like butter, milk, cheese, meat) and to a variety of supplements, cleanse course, and pro-biotics to my daily intake.  I still am at a high weight but at least I'm not still gaining.  It's been only 1 month.  She changed my thyroid to a compounding T3/T4 and I now take it in the morning.  My Endocrinologist basically said that I'm peri-menopausal and unless "I grew another foot" I'd be struggling with weight the rest of my life"...I left his office crying and vowed not to return.

I continue to run/walk 4 miles a day and have discontinued working with my trainer for a while.  My trainer didn't really know what to say to me and thought it all resulted from my diet.  I felt and still feel that there is a trigger somewhere in my metobolic state or horomone level that will not budge.  Once I find the right combination of diet, meds, supplements, horomones, and Thyroid meds, I'll start to see the scale drop.  I feel like all the hard work and exercise is for nothing when I try on clothes.  In my earlier years I would have lost 15 lbs by now.  

Nice to have a forum like this...I don't feel so alone and crazy.
i hate to sound repetitive here.. but i am 29 yrs young and i had my horrid surgery on 01.18.08

it was the worst day of my life.. what was to be 1 1/2 hour procedure turned out to be 4 1/2 hours of hell... i say hell because when i woke up i was in so much pain..

i had endo.. and now i have gone from 125 to 170 in less than a yr and im only 5 foot 2.
i have no clue how to make it go away.. and i have no sex drive, and my boyfriend does not believe me when i say that because his aunts have had the surgery and they are very lovey with their husbands so that causes fights. i get so depressed looking in the mirror and NONE od my clothes fir.. i wear sweats all the time with baggie shirts. i wish i knew how to make it stop..

on a brighter note.. a friend of mine's mom went through this and she went from a size 18 to a size 10 by eating bananas during the day and special k for breakfast and then having a very light dinner and walking every morning and every night. i 've been told more than once that bananas have a natural weight loss in them for females.. dont forget grapefruit also.. it uses more caleries to digest than it actually has in it.. so its a great snack and its filling.. use real sugar on it tho.. no artifial sweetner, they are VERY bad for you.

Good luck everyone
Id like to suggest the HCG weight loss program. I have been on this program twice and have kept the weight off. Besides losing weight, the program also teaches you to change eating habits and your lifestyle. A lot of people get the product off the internet , and that isnt safe. I would like to suggest Body Solutions RX, a reputable clinic located in Colorado Springs , CO. They serve clients in the US 50 states regardless of distance. Body Solutions RX offers more than just weight loss solutions. Some people have other issues that make it hard for them to lose weight. This clinic deals with those issues as well. It is best to speak with one of the clinics physicians to see what may be right for you, what can help you the best.  You might want to view the website at  www.bodysolutionsrx.com  for more information and to contact one of the professional staff. A free consult is available, and they welcome your questions. 95% of Body Solutions RX clients are from out of state. They also have a clinic in Fairfield, NJ. www.bodysolutionsrx.com  
I was obese before I had a total hysterectomy a few months ago, 100 pounds over weight. I did no research on the surgery. Now I'm gaining more weight even though I am eating less. If this continues I'll die from obesity. Several of my co-workers told me I'd probably lose weight after the surgery. What were they thinking? I had to stop taking the hormone replacement due to severe migraines. Why didn't my doctor tell me about the weight gain? She should have considered any more weight  could kill me. I'm also diabetic, another health problem. I'm so depressed to know that the surgery was optional. I never would have had it done knowing that this was the price I'd pay for it. Much regret.
Just joined and saw your post.  I, too, had a total hysterectomy at 35.  I am now 44.  I weighed 135 pre-op and now am a whopping 179!!  OMG, I cannot believe I actually said the weight out loud.....ooh!!  Anyway, I, too, had fibroid tumors.  I also had a ruptured cyst on one ovary and endometriosis on the other ovary and the doc recommended a total hysterectomy.  I didn't know any better, completely trusted his opinion (after getting a second) and went for it!!  That is my single regret of my life!!!!!!!  Now there are procedures to remove the fibroid tumors w/o having to go through a hysterectomy!!  Wish I could go back, but alas, we cannot.  I was put on HRT immediately and seemed to gain some weight.  I have been taking Estradiol for nine years and really want to get off.

I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis two years ago.  So now take Synthroid on top of the Estradiol and wow, the scale keeps going up.

There has to be an answer!!!!

Hi i had a hystorectomy in Feb 2007, The surgeon ( who i now call the bucher!) told me that i had to have my cervix & ovarys removed at the same time because if we left them there was a high chance i would develope cancer in them. ( the reason i was having a hystorectomy was because i was bleeding heavely almost every month.) Well during the opperation the Bucher put a stitch through the left tube leading from my left kidney to my bladder. The tube swelled up causing me a lot of pain untill it caused a fistula (hole ) in my vagina.( can i say that word on here?) resulting in me becoming incontinent as urine was porring out of my V. Because of this i had to go back to hospital for further surgery to shorten & reattach the tube to a new part of my bladder. during this opperation i had stents put in both of my tubes leading from my bladder to my kidneys to make sure the tubes didnt colapse. I had to keep the stents in for 4 months before having another opperation to remove them. The pain i suffered was horrendus & i still am in alot of pain most days, i could just about cope with the pain but then i started to gain weight & lose my sex drive. It feels like he not only robbed me of my femininity hs has left me feeling fat & worthless as well. I am now on antidepresants & i see a councelor once a week & slowly i am starting to feel a little better.  Because  none of my friends & family have had a hystoectomyi have felt very alone & reading the comments on this forum has helped me realise i am not. :)
i am 42yrs. old. i have cancerous cells. my gyn told me that she recommends a hysterecomty. i am so afrais of the after effects, like weght gain
To all you ladies,
Hi I am Gidget, 41, and just joined this month. I know not all women go through this angst, but I too had a total hysterectomy...UGH!
Oh where to start...First off I feel for all of you and am grateful to have found this forum, while we feel bad it is good to know we are not alone! I know the wieght gain and all the other side affects are nearly impossible some days! I'll share with you what I have learned and then my story proceeding...I tend to right short novels, so please forgive.

My mom had her tubes tied and they were wrapped around her ovaries which made them begin to rot (she was 15 when she had me and 17 w/ my brother) then a hysterectomy at 18, leaving a partial ovary and subsequently had more ab surgeries and evntually had it removed as well. She and my aunt did not gain the wieght or have many side affects w/ their hysterectomy's, sexual or otherwise, so I don't know why we are so "dang special", but hopefully some of this helps...

Finding a good doc/specialist is probably key before and after, so I hope some of info helps! I also have Firbromyalgia and I can tell you what my doc(s) say and are doing now to help me AND some of THOSE Endo docs seem like quacks!.My endo doc said I had the fat gene and I needed to accept it and do botox for the excessive perspiring. Never had a weight problem until the female problems started.

There is now a product out called Optifast. It is monitored monthly by a doctor and supposedly you can lose about 10 pounds or more a month. However, it is about $300.00 a month, so if you have the moola perhaps it may help boost your energy and melt away the lbs. When I can afford it, I will definitely try it.

I have also found out that sometimes after being under anesthesia and trauma to the body our bods change, including thyroid. I have had soooo many Tyhroid tests (T2 & T4)in the past several years but just found out I have Reverse T3, which is in the liver (most dr.'s do not do that particular test). I am on med's for it now and am losing some of the weight, so that may also be something to look into. I was taking Enjuvia after the patch seemed to fail and currently went off all HRT's. It is cooler now, so the "flashes" aren't quite as bad but still doing at least 2 showers a day and sleeping with the fan full blast at night. I do have to take sleeping aids and until I did i was a complete crankster! My poor family!

I have 3 kids, sons 20 and 16 and 5 yr. old daughter. After my 2nd son (1992)  and 2nd c-section, which they had a fouled up I have had a total of 8 more abdominal surgeries, with the last in 12/06. Some of my uterine lining was sewn on the outside of my uterus causing an endometreoma which grew into my right stomach muscle (uterus and muscle were stuck together). In the following 14 years were surgeries and depro-vera and lupron were injected monthly to try to shrink the masses and prevent pain, blood loss and surgeries. I went through "synthetic" menopuase at 28, 30 and 32 with a year break in between but it kept coming back. I didn't gain much weight but was younger and very active and watched my grams of fat or did Atkins diet during the injections

That menopause was nothing compared to my total hysterectomy in '06!  They thought I had ovarian cance as my uterus, bladder, ovaries and cervix were plastered together and attached to the peritenium. They didn't know until they got in and sent it to pathology, but Thank God it was not cancer. Six months prior to the Hyst. I tried one last time of synthetic menopause (injections) and I began gaining weight, but minimal compared to the hysterectomy. I have put on an additional 55 lbs. since then and have just lost 15 in the past month. I went from 130 lbs. when my daughter was about 18 mos. to 212! She was a real surprise as they told me I would never get pregnant again.

At any rate, it almost seems as though the hysterectomy's are possibly interfereing with nature and maybe that's why some of us have a harder time. I put it off until they thought I had cancer, but now regret some of it. I feel mostly with the cervix gone, sex is not the awesome experience it used to be. I don't feel cute and perky anymore and don't like going out or entertaining because of the weight, the sweating and fatigue. I finally have a different health plan and a great GP, so it is a work in progress and hopefully soon I will know more and feel alot better!!!

I hope those of you looking into having one get second opinions and those of you going through this misery find some relief! Sorry for rambling on, but hopefully there may have been some info helpful and questions to ask your doctor.

Good vibes coming your way! Gidget

Thanks for letting me know I am not crazy either. I had colon CA, age 30. Age 34 high levels of dysplagia (cancerous cells in uterus) therefore hysterectomy. I was 166 pre-op at 5'11'' now 185 and very disgusted. working out, exercising. My OBGYN tells me to exercise more- obviously he is a man and does not get it. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in this horrible battle.
Everyone who has had a total hysterectomy, or has symptoms of fatigue, weight gain, hot flashes/night sweats, constipations, dry hair, skin and nails, joint and muscle aches, etc, (or any combination thereof) needs hormones.  Not the synthetic ones that cause cancer and blood clots, but natural, bioidentical hormones.  Most doctors pooh-pooh it, but there is a reason it is so popular.  Don't let the drs tell you they are a waste of time or there is no evidence to show these work and DO NOT cause cancer, etc.  There are many studies by main stream journals (such as New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, Lancet, etc).  There is no reason to suffer like this.  Go see a doc who is actually able to "think outside the box", research the studies on his own, and get some relief.  Believe me, your life may depend on it!
Wow! I'm sorry to hear of the trouble your family has had with doctors. That old saying of "They call it a practice for a reason" seems to be at work in your case. I hope you continue to improve and get help from people that know what they are doing and not just blindly trying to find their way...
sending you ((((hugs))))
Wow, after going back to the beginning of this post and reading all the stories I want to send (((((hugs))))) to all of you. Then I get nervous, because it seems to run in families and my mom had to have this done, which means I might also. Good thing, I'm married to a naturopath as I don't trust medical doctors anymore.

I know someone earlier posted about hcg. I think hcg could help a lot, too. It works on your hypothalamus gland. Your hypothalamus controls your thirst, hunger, sleep, temperature and fat storing or metabolizing.(Well, I'm not a doctor it is probably more complicated than that, but this is my understanding of it)

I'm not sure of all the possible problems with taking hcg after having cancer. You would have to consult a physician willing to prescribe the hcg for you and have him/her monitor you closely to make sure it didn't make things worse. However, people who have thyroid disfunction have been able to utilise hcg to help them lose weight. I think there could be hope with this hormone...

My husband told me that your endocrine system gets messed up when you have a hysterectomy and that is a big part of the weight gain. Hormones work on your endocrine system(adrenals, thryroid, ovaries, etc) but they also work on your hypothalamus(part of the lower brain). So the hcg could benefit your overall health if it gets your hypothalamus working more optimally.

Well, I know that I might have some of that not quite right, because I am not a doctor and the body is very confusing, so please forgive me. I have been researching the hypothalmus and finding out how it is interconnected but I'm not really scientifically minded and could have things confused. I DO KNOW this: hcg does work for weight loss. I have seen it in myself and other people. Please find a naturopath or alternative friendly md that is willing to work with you and hcg and ask him/her if it would be safe for you to do it. My husband doesn't want to say that everyone can do it, 'cause he doesn't want to give out blanket advice without knowing the individual, but he is confident that the hcg works for weight loss, too, or he wouldn't be prescribing it.
UGH, I just wrote a long note and hit post and it booted me, so maybe I can give you all the short version...((( 0 :

First I wanted to sat to got_nd, thank you for the (((HUGS)))! That was very sweet and cute so much so it brings smiles and gratitude! And thanks for the empathy, info and understanding from eveyone of this forum, it's awesome!

**Side note to all of you whose hunnies are comparing your libido to their friends/families women: Perhaps print outs of info or even this forum will give them a better understanding. I personally went from the blissful side of the scale to the not-at-all blissful extreme side and it stinks! I figured if I made it to 80, that part of me would NEVER change...**

The above mentioned Bioidentical may be worth looking into. You can research it more through the Net, but I did see a show on Oprah and the controversy surrounding any or none in the matter of HRT. Robin McGraw (Dr. Phils wife) and apparently Suzanne Sommers swear by it and they look fabulous. Of course, most of us do not have the moola for personal trainers, etc...but Robin said it helped with weight, energy, moodiness and is a very strong advocate because of her success with it.

Something to look into with your docs (if ya haven't already:

Through great doc's (GP and Fibromyalgia) and testing, they found I am severely D3 deficient (which greatly hinders your immune system) and have added that (working up to 4000 IU) along with multi-vitamin, folapro, B 12 injections AND Hydroxy B12 subligual and then upped my Cytomel (reverse T3 meds). So we shall see if all that helps. I've been told that surgeries can cause alot of different ailments...perhaps that's why some of us didn't fair as well as others? It can possibly cause Fibromyalgia, which causes many of the symptoms we are all talking about (unfortunately there is still a stigma and doubt on if it exists)...but that's what I Heard...

In the past I have had great success with both Atkins (not trying it now as once in a while I like to partake in a glass of vino) or doing 25 grams of fat a day. After my 2nd son, I lost 45 lbs. in 4 mos.  with 25G a day and kept it off for over 3 yrs. I did both during synthetic menopause (depra lupron injections) and it worked. Albeit it didn't have this much to lose though...
I would treat myself 1 whole day a week to whatever I liked. It is not good for diabetics though as most low fat foods have alot of sugar. If anyone is interested, I will post what I ate, how easy it was and once the weight started to drop, it made it easier to do yoga or walk. Yoga is great and low impact. I have a VHS (yes a VHS from the 90's and it's from Cosmopolitan...very low impact and stretches and boy did it tone...perhaps on DVD somewhere now?)

I probabbly wrote more on my original, and apologize if I am too chatty, but mostly wanted to convey you all have good vibes, (((HUGS))) (courtesy of got _nd), prayers and thoughts coming your way. Keep smilin' and know that we beautiful and temporarily stout gals will find an answer eventually! (((( 0 :

I forgot to mention, I went on thyroid meds (R-T3) and lost 12 lbs. right away, but went off my HRT shortly after and still am off and put the weight back on and a bit more...

I need to look into the natural stuff as well, but there may be something to needing it, then maybe weaning down the road when the bod is back to normal????
I had a partial hysterectomy in sept 08.   I had 2 c sections before that.  one in 01 and one in 95.   The doctor who did my hysterectomy had to cut me lower than the c section scars because of scar tissue.  I now have 2 ugly scars down low, the latest of which seems to stay infected.  I have gained about 10 pounds in the last 6 months.  I cry all the time.  I don't know what to do!   I also walk 3 miles 3 times a week,  barely eat, and drink slimfast for two of my meals a day.  Have lost nothing!  I am a mail carrier and am running,  walking,  and climbing stairs all day 6 days a week!    I don't know the answer but hopefully we will find one soon!!
i am 40 years old and i too have had a partial hyserectomy and have gained weigth tried every diet none to man nothing works. i am constently thinking about my weight and how fat i am. i had my serg. in 2000 weighing 140 i am 5"7' now i weigh 176  i am able to loose 5 lbs but it comes right back in a weeks time. i just started the weight loss for idiots i dont want this diet to fail so i have very high hopes but i just dont know what to do if this diet fails, and like most of you i before never had a sweet tooth and now i do. thats also a big fight  i exercise almost daily and run regularly. i will keep you postted as to how the diet works .
Please find some information on the hcg diet. If no where else, then look up my user id on google (gotnd) and find my hubbies web page.
The hcg diet can help where other diets fail because it works to change your hypothalmic function on a cellular level. A lot of diets fail due to hypothalmic issues and not on a person's will power. Also, most diets make you lose your structural fat and normal reserve fat but never get to losing your stored (what I call abnormal) fat.
Please, please, please do some research on this hcg protocol. It can help almost anyone with few side effects. It has not been approved by the fda for weight loss(fda approves hcg, just for a different purpose), but it does work. Even here on medhelp, i have read many reports of how well it has helped people to lose weight when everything else seemed to fail. I haven't had many medical problems to deal with, but this diet also worked for me.
Ok this is my  8th day on the fat loss for idiots diet and i have lost i am down to 171.5 and it was a lot easier than i thought. i do have to admit that the lack of carbs does leave me tired and that yesterday i was actually weighed 175. i will continue on my last 3 days and then start on another 10 days using the food generator. so maybe their is hope for weight loss after a hyserectomy it's just that i think my body has changed from the way it was 10 years ago and my lifestyle has also changed. i will keep you posted.
Has anyone heard about the B12 shot? I go today to talk to my doctor about it. I too am only 23 and just had a histerectomy in March. I weight a comfortable 118 and was in shape. Now i weigh 150 and i am misserable. My thighs have more than doubled and i exercise, eat well, cut out "all the bad" and "junk food". This is my next decision and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it?
Wow, I also had a partial hysterectomy just had my uterus removed and still have ovaries.  I had the surgery in July 2006, and I was always very think and I have gained 30 lbs since my surgery which has now been 3 years since surgery. My weight is mostly in my stomach and hips.  I wish I would have known that I would gain weight... I would have not gone through with it if I would have known about the weight gain.....I feel bloated alot of times and very sluggish and tired alot...I workout and eat healthy and still can't get the weight off...I will continue a healthy lifestyle....If anyone is debating about a hysterectomy...PLEASE don't do it unless it's a life or death situation.......It's not worth it....  
Good luck to everyone!!!

WOW!  I had a complete hysterectomy (uterus & both ovaries) in 2004 - since then I have gained over 35 lbs.  I like many of you, can't  stand to look at myself in the mirror or even have pictures made!  And each time I mention my weight issues with my OB-GYN, I have felt like I was imagining the weight gain, the hair loss,etc.  I am on horomones for the menopause symptoms - but wasn't able to start them until 6 mo AFTER my surgery because of endimetrosis.

Anyway, without sounding heartless, it feels so wonderful to find out that others are going through what I am going through and that I may not be crazy!!

My 'goal' was to lose the extra weight before my 40th b-day - which is in December.  But I am lacking MOTIVATION!  I seem to stay motivated for a few weeks but then I fall off.  I am so glad I found this forum!  I am sending hugs to everyone.  There has to be an answer somewhere!!!
I just had a hysterectomy this past January.  One ovary is left.  This was actually my only option as I cannot take hormones and was bleeding to death from uterine fibroids.  Prior to surgery, I had a doctor who prescribed birth control to stop my period.  I told her that I didn't do well with estrogen, but she insisted saying I had no other options.  Well, I ended up in the hospital with DVTs and pulmonary embolism.  Apparently, I really don't do well with estrogen!  Anyway, and as I said, I had to have the hysterectomy.  Truthfully, it was the best thing I ever did.  I used to be down for the count for at least 4 days every time I got my period and the horrible pain was killing me.  It's so nice now not to have to deal with that.  My problem, like everyone here, is the weight gain.  I'm so sick of hearing you have to eat less and exercise more.  I was always very athletic and I've worked with trainers in the past, so I do know a little something about the body and exercise.  I eat the same exact way I did before the surgery - healthy diet, just right in calories.  I used to walk three times a day before the surgery and was a perfect weight of 126.  I'm now at 179 lbs.  I exercise and lift weights.  I burn a minimum of 450 calories each workout just on the cardio.  I haven't lost a single pound in the past 7 months.  I haven't even lost inches so it's not the muscle weighing more than the fat!  I recently spoke with a woman who had a hysterectomy when she was 32.  She said it takes at least 8 months to 1 year for your body to completely heal from the surgery.  She had the same problem with weight gain.  Her doctor said that was normal.  She drank a lot of milk and did not work out at all.  After 8 months she began to lose the weight.  She's now thin as a rail.  I still think there's hope.
I had a partial hysterectomy in June 2009 and am still trying to recover and am like all of you I have gained about 15 pounds since my surgery and really watch what I eat and exercise daily sometimes twice a day. As if the surgery didn't already depress me enough this weight gain has really added to it. I am 5'4 and weigh about 147 and it seems to continue to climb. I am only 34 and this surgery has made me feel like I am twice my age, I am on a mission to figure something out- my doctor did not warn me that this weight gain was going to happen-there has to be an answer out there somewhere -will let you know what I find!
I have posted this before, but I think that the hCG diet protocol could help, even post hysterectomy. It is not hard to follow, you are eating very little, but the hcg makes your body burn your stored fat for energy and aren't very hungry. (The hCG is a hormone that is injected 6 days a week while on the diet in very small dosage. It is not like estrogen. )Don't just go by what Kevin Trudeau says, though, as I think he is just a guy out to get rich. Find Dr. Simeons book "Pounds and Inches". He was the doctor who discovered the protocol. His book is out of print but can be found multiple places on the internet.
I am willing to bet, lannie1011, that you have problems with synthetic estrogen (Premarin).  The natural estrogen doesn't have the same clotting problems as the synthetic.  ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A COMPLETE HYSTRECTOMY NEEDS HORMONES!  Any dr who says you don't needs more education!  Your whole body needs progesterone (not Provera or Prempro), your cardiovasular system, bones and brain need estrogen.  Many, many studies prove this (even though most American drs refuse to see it.)  There are different ways to take medications: by mouth, cream, under the tongue, shots, etc.  Don't think that because Premarin or birth control pills by mouth cause blood clots, all estrogen causes blood clots.  You need to see a dr (not pharmacist) who is well educated in the use of BIHRT. You don't have to suffer from brain fog, forgetfulness, weight gain, fatigue, muscle and joint aches!  There is a reason women who don't take BIHRT after menopause have the same health (read heart attacks and stroke) risks as men. Women who start hormones when menopause begins (peri-menopause) keep the (health) edge.  Don't listen to a dr who says, "You are getting older and just have to learn to deal with it."  He wouldn't "deal with it"!  Take back some control over your own body!  It is not necessary to suffer like this.  I have seen it time and time again.
I had a radical hysterectomy 4 yrs ago. At first I had really bad sweats - I know they call them night sweats, but when it happens all day long - ugh! Then I noticed that I could not remember things, even basic thought processes seemed to be just out of reach. Then the weight gain began, about 10-15 lbs per year for the last 4 yrs. I am 5'4" and always weighed between 100 and 130 lbs - now I am tipping the scale at 177! I have been on a very low calorie, fat, sodium diet and keep myself around 1200 per day; I use to exercise all the time, but I kept getting more tired and gained even more weight! I have seen several specialists, weight management, nutritionists, endo doc and have gone through at least 4 OBGYNs and no one can figure out why I am gaining the weight! I am so frustrated and it has gotten so bad that I am embarrassed to be seen in public or around my friends. I don't know what to do anymore. I do not take hormone replacement therapy due to a high risk of stroke and cancer that runs in my family. But at this point I have seen not just my weight increase but my cholesterol levels have risen extremely high (and my blood pressure is low); can anyone give me any advise as to what type of doctor to see that may be able to help?
I too had a hysterectomy in may 09 and I was left with one ovary. I am 5'10 and have always held my weight around 135-140. I now am at 170 and it keeps going up. I know that 170 is probably were my weight is suppose to be according to the doctors but when it's never been that high my body feels so abnormal, our body can tell us when we have too much weight. Knees ache, ankles hurt, I tire out by midday, feet, ankles, hands swell really bad everyday and the brain fog,forgetfulness and spacing out when someone is talking to me is awful. My husband thinks I just don't pay attention to what he's saying, But thats not the case. I asked the gyno. about it, I was told to join weight watchers. I dont eat a lot, and the weight still pours on. I am sooo tired, it feels like all I can do to make through my workdays.If anyone has a magic cure PLEASE let us know.. Thanks
I'm so glad I found you ladies! I had a hysterectomy(kept both ovaries) Sept 08 at age 37. My doctor did warn me that I would gain 10 lbs but it would come off after I was "back to normal." I pushed my doctor for a TVH and then had him release me after one day. I thought if I was superwoman and never "laid around" I could be the one that didn't gain. I never rested during the day, I was driving to my office 4 days after surgery(I only took pain pills for 2 days) but I had back pain so bad at one week I went to the doctor and found out that I had a bladder infection from the surgery. The doctor said I was healing fine so I had my husband drive me around all day meeting clients. I lost 5lbs the first week and so I thought I was good. I teach kickboxing and circuit training and was on my way to obtaining a personal training certificate and certification in pilates/yoga. I knew I couldn't do a normal routine for at least 4 weeks(strictly no abs for 6 wks) so I went to the mall and walked. Went back to work at 4 weeks and that is when the weight piled on quickly. By the time I started teaching my class again, at 6 weeks, I had gained 10lbs. by Christmas another 5lbs but I thought it was holiday weight. The first of the year I started on one of my intense training programs and I lost 5lbs. Then I picked up teaching 2 more classes so I was working 40hrs, teaching 4 intense kickboxing classes and strength training adding up to 6-7hours exercise per wk. I have a very technical heart monitor and it had me burning 5000 calories/wk. Over the summer I dropped 2 classes and played softball constantly staying busy. I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing, I had convinced myself I was suffering from adrenal fatigue. I'm always tired, since my surgery I don't sleep the same, feel brain fog, IRRITABILITY, water retention and bloating. Also have been experiencing extreme breast tenderness lately. I never had trouble with any of those things.
In August I had my 20 year class reunion so I wanted to look my best but had to buy size 12 pants for the 1st event b/c none of my pants fit. I was wearing a size 6 two years ago and I had even won a weight loss contest, so I know my body and how to lose weight. I've tried it all and read almost every diet theory out there.
Here's the scary part: I gained 10lbs in the last 6 weeks and I am doing all the same things. I'm so embarrassed when I am teaching class and I am miserable with how I look and it is really starting to affect my daily life. I have also had problems with my lower back, sciatica in my right leg and my hip went out of it's socket. I have never had a sports injury before and the compression problem in my back is due to sitting at a desk all day. The GP doc ran basic blood tests last week and told me everything was fine. Easy for her to say. I pointed out that I had gained 25lbs since last Oct. but she had nothing to offer.
So if I can harness my intense carb and sweet tooth cravings I am going back to the basics and try again. But I have found that caffeine and other stimulants seem to make me gain weight now, and I only take them in pill form so there are no carbs associated with it.
I am determined to figure this out and I am glad I am not crazy b/c I am tired of hearing that I could be depressed and need a Rx.
Smiles and Blessings to all!
I don't have a "magic cure", but I know of something that can help. It is called the hcg diet. Hcg is a hormone women make when they are pregnant - one thing it does is it allows the fetus to be nourished even when the mother is not getting enough nutrients herself through the breakdown and metabolization of the mother's stored fat. The hcg does a similar thing to a dieter, it allows your body to metabolize the abnormally stored fat, something that your body tends not to do on its own due to it being easier to get energy from your structural fat or lean body tissue. Used in conjunction with a five hundred calorie diet, the hcg diet protocol can help just about anybody - including people who have had hysterectomies. People don't get very hungry on this diet because for every pound of fat that is metabolized, the person is being "fed" around 2000 calories. That is why you can go on a 500 cal diet and not starve to death.

Look it up here on medhelp or google it - there is tons of info out there on the subject. You can try my husbands webpage if you want - it is the same as my user name without the underscore.
I am also very happy i am not alone. I am 37 and had a hysterectomy in 2007, i still have my ovaries but no uterus or cervix. I also quit smoking while i was in the hospital so i thought the weight gain was due to that, but i guess now its a combination of everything . In the past 2 years i have gained about 35pounds, it goes up and down. I have been working out, watching what i eat also and nothing is happening. My doc put me on hormone patches and i gained more weight , but it did take the hot flashes away. After 3 months i quit the patched and decided to deal with the hot flashes on my own, i am too scared to gain more weight. I now take black cohosh and primrose oil to help deal with my symptoms like mood swings , hot flashes , and things have been a little better. I too am getting depressed because of the weight and cannot look at myself, my husband keeps telling me that i am still beautiful , but i dont  believe him, so things have slowed down in the bedroom debt. but when it does happen everthing is still functioning fine , lol. Even sometimes better then before the surgery. I am desperate for to lose all the weight....
I feel your pain.  I am in the same boat.   However, my thyroid was removed in 2001 as well.  I've gained a good 25 pounds since the surgery.  I am back to my weight after giving birth to our 2nd child.

I found a Dr. here in Phoenix who treats hypothyroidism which is the condition I now have since the thyroid removal.  I've been taken off Synthroid and am on a natural thyroid.  I have been exercising since 2005 on a regular basis to include hiking and running.  I've done hcg and other diet plans.  The weight keeps coming...

My doc seems to believe there is a correlation between the cysts that I had on my thyroid to the fibroids I had on my uterus.  I wish I had found him before my uterus was removed!  All hypothyroidism.  Endo docs rely too much on what is on the blood tests rather that what "isn't" shown.

I love this forum.  It's the only one I've found with women suffering from the same symtoms as I.  I don't feel alone or like I'm going crazy.

OMG! I've had my hysterectomy in may 2009. i have gained so 35lbs, i was1201bs. im gaining non stop. I thought i was alone, but i'm not.  i need help bad! i'm exercising, walking, eating healthy.  my joints hurt, my lower back hurts. HELP! please if you have any suggestions for me, feel free to e-mail me at ***@****. Thanks ladies!
Thank goodness I found this site.  I was starting to honestly believe I WAS CRAZY.  Exactly today is 1 year since I had my full hysterectomy.  I had endometriosis, cysts and fybroids.  Although my life is much better now without pain, I have struggled with all the mentioned symptoms.  Before my surgery, for 2 yrs they had me on progesterone and other hormones to control my heavy periods and pain, since then I have gained 30 lbs.  5 years ago, I lost 48 lbs on Weight Watchers, it took me 8 months and I was so proud of myself.  Since then, I have continued to exercise and eat healthy, but since I took that medication the weight started climbing.  Since my surgery I have gained about 10 lbs more.  I go up and down, but really do not loose.  I try to exercise and definetely watch what I eat, but I am not successful.I do think if I did not watch it, I would be worse. I am on the Vivelle patch, which they had to lower the dosage, as I started getting migraine headaches, I told my doctor I rather deal with the hot flashes than have those horrible headaches, so he changed it.  He keeps telling me once my body heals from the surgery...about a year or so, I will start loosing the weight, but I have yet to see anything.   Like most of you, I get very depressed about it,  A few months ago I started on this chinese herbal treatment and it has helped me greatly with the hot flashes, depression, the sleepness, energy and libido.  I do feel much better but the weight issue has not changed. It angers me when they tell me, to stop eating or start exercising and then I will loose the weight, they don't understand, I have been doing that, without success.  I hope that someone can help women like us, instead of assuming we are just not doing enough to help our selves.
Thank you to all for sharing your experiences, it sure made me feel like I am not alone or crazy.
Best Regards,
Vicky G
I forgot to mention..I am 46 yrs old and I had my surgery at 45....sorry....
Good day ladies!! I am so happy to have found you all! I had a partial in 2000, then my doc "finished the job" later that same year, I was told both of my ovaries were covered with cysts and that because there were so many, it would be impossible to remove them all. I went from being a very fit 115 lbs. at 5'2" to being 147 lbs., and I struggle every day! I exercise, walking, turbo jam, tai bo, pilates, yoga, the firm, and what ever else I can find, but unless I basically starve, I cannot lose anything. I have had the thyroid testing, and been told by my doctor that I "EAT TOO MUCH, STOP EATING", nice, huh. It has been 10 years, I am 40, and I am frustrated and don't know what to do any more, I enjoy food! I do eat well, I don't overindulge, but I don't want to starve any more. All of my gain has been in the belly (never ever had fat there before, even after 3 kids) and butt/legs!
I had a partial emergency hysterectomy in march 2008 at 21 yrs old.  I hemmoridged severely after childbirth so it was my only option.  :(  I have no idea how much ive gained and i dont want to know.  All of my weight is in my stomach, hips and thighs...im miserable!!!  My libido is severely diminished :( it makes me sad.   Does anyone have any suggestions????
There is hope for you! Because your ovaries were removed, you are in (surgical) menopause.  You desperately need hormones.  Not only will they help your libido and weight gain, they will help your sense of well being, of feeling like yourself.  Hormones aren't just to prevent the cosmetic discomfort of hotflashes, they are for your health!  Without them, you will have a slow, miserable life and most likely, die at an earlier than necessary age.  (We are all going to die.  The trick is to live life to it fullest, feeling great until then!)  If your doctor won't prescribe them, he/she is not keeping up with the latest research.  They are "treating the numbers, not the patient".  Run, don't walk to a dr who will help you, even if your insurance doesn't pay for it.  We are talking about not only your life, but the quality of your life!
I am so glad to have found this site.  I had made up my mind to have a partial hysterectomy (keeping the  ovaries) due to the fact that my uterus has enlarged over the months and I have heavy bleedings - so heavy it makes it very difficult to deal with day to day life when I have it. I chose the hysterectomy because I didn't want any "let's see" treatments.  I have been dealing with these heavy periods for so long, I wanted them gone.  I felt choosing other alternatives would just perhaps give me a break for just a bit, but then I would have to go back to the heavy periods.

I am 45, weigh 149 and have not been happy with my weight, even though this is not alot of overweight for my height of 5'9 1/2.  However, after a while, my body is not losing the weight as quick as it should and seeing how easily the weight can creep up on women after a hyterectomy, I decided against it.

My heart goes out to you all and I am so glad that you have all enligtened me to the fact that, unless it is absolutely necessary, hysters are not necessarily the best route to go.  I discussed this site with my husband and him, knowing how I am about my weight, understands why I am now choosing an alternative.  He thought the hyster would be best because he says he hates to see me suffer so much month after month...but now we know it is not.  I truly hope you that doctors learn to warn women of these side effects.  God bless you all, thank you and best of luck! Hugs!
Wow, I had a partial hysterectomy in 2005 due to uterine tumors and pre-cancer cells on my cervix (non hpv related).  I also had a long history of edometriosis.  I had my hysterectomy and 38 and will soon be 43.  I managed my weight for a year but I have steadily been gaining weight.  I have gained 40lbs since then.  I eat healthy and exercise but nothing seems to work.  I have this pot belly and I almost look pregnant...I hate it.  I am going to go to my doctor because the weight gain has to stop.
I'm 54, had my hysterectomy 01/05/2010.  I had lost 72 pounds between 01/05/2009 and the date of my surgery.  Now, I've gained 6 pounds back.  I had to spend a lot of money buying clothes and now am seriously wondering if I am going to gain any more weight.  I cannot allow this to happen, because I cannot afford to buy more clothes.  Also, I would like to continue feeling at least as well as I do now.  I am taking 50 mg C-Progesterone SR which helped the warm flashes alot (still have some and summer here in Phoenix should just be a real adventure) and also helped my "lethal mood swings".  I lost the weight by going vegan, with little added fat and no sugar.  I eat meat occasionally and have some fat but not much.  I just finished physical therapy and am planning to resume walking my dog each day for half an hour.  Will amp up the exercise and work on my abdomin.  Anyone have a success story?
Wow, this is amazing. I thought I was alone in this. I had my hysterectomy in July 2007 and have gained 20lbs since then. At first I thought I was over eating, until I began reading up on this problem. Now I realize that this is a bad thing. No matter how much I change my eating habits, exercise, etc. the weight in my midriff is out of control. I hate buying clothes, and when I do it's big enough to hide the bulge. Has anyone found a solution yet. I have read all the problems,but no solution. If I do happen to find one in my research, I will be back to let all you hyster-sisters know. Trust and believe. Hang in there ladies.
After having a TAH with oopherectomy at the age of 40 (actually 2 days before my 41st birthday)....I just continue to gain SO much belly fat!!  I was never a skinny minny, but at least when I tried I would lose something!  I wonder now....being as part of the reason for the hysterectomy was multiple cycts if I had Polycystic Ovary Disease??  From what I have learned from others, this is a leading cause of obesity in young women.  SO....now that all the cysts and fibroids and endometriosis is gone....why am I still unable to lose weight?  I stopped oral HRT (which only gave me migraines and terrible mood swings) it doesn't matter if I walk miles every day OR sit around eating tubs of ice cream.  Worst of all....I look forward to NOTHING in life.  I would say I am clinically depressed, but are anti-depressants going to help anything?!?  I do have to say ladies that it is at least extremely comforting to read your stories and that I am not alone.  I hope someday soon, there will be an answer!
I too had a hysterectomy. I just turned 37 a week ago, and had my hysterectomy in 2006 just 3 months after I married my husband. At the time I thought it was a wonderful idea to have it done cause I was bleeding and cramping all month long due to a large fibroid tumor embedded in my uterus the size of a large apple. About a year after my surgery, I started having cramps again and went back in to my doctor and was told my ovary was attaching itself to my scar tissue. After dealing with that, I started dealing with weight gain. I wasn't sure if it was due to age or the hysterectomy. My husband and I decided to work together to lose weight by working out together and eat healthier. As I still gain weight thru all of this, I am watching my husband shed the pounds like crazy! In tears, I confessed to my husband that I can't keep watching him shed the pounds while I keep gaining and get more and more depressed because my clothes just keep getting tighter. He was the one that talked me into researching hysterectomies and weight gain to see if that is what the problem may be. You all will never know how much it helped me when I started to read some of your comments and made me realize I am not alone out here. I would love to find some help with this issue!!!!!
I too had a partial hysterectomy in November of 2008. Prior to my  surgery I was bleeding pretty heavily and I would bloat very bad in my lower abdomen. So the Dr said that I had early signs of cervical cancer and endometriosis. so they took my cervix and uterus. I still have both my ovaries, which have cysts that act up every once in a while. It is now May 24th 2010 and I have gained over 80lbs since my surgery. I have a very active life style. We eat pretty clean, especially with my youngest and my husband having touchy stomachs I need to make sure there are not any harsh foods. I exercise regularly still nothing. I stepped on the scale today and that was a major mistake. I can't fit in any of my clothes, with the economy and not having a job to buy new clothes, it makes me sad that I have to revert to sweats for my clothing. :~[ All I know is that I try and try and try and I am ready to give up. I don't invite anyone over anymore because I am too embarrassed.
OMGOODNESS!  I'M SCHEDULE TO HAVE AN ULTRA SOUND DUE TO MY HEAVY PERIODS AND I PRAY IN THE NAME OF JESUS THAT I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE AN HYSTERECTOMY.  I've did some research and my Dr. told me that they have a lot different methods that they're now using.    
I am due to have a hysterectomy in 5 weeks time.  I have had endemetriosis for 15 years and am so lucky to have 3 wonderful children, age 9, 6 and 4.   My periods take over my life.  I am sick, bedbound and literally in agony.  Ive had an endometrial ablation which made them a bit lighter but the pain is still just as bad.  Now my only option is a hysterectomy.  The surgeon has told me that I can keep my overies and I should therefore not gain any weight.   Ive also had 3 c-sections.  Ive always struggled with my weight and am currently 12 stone which is about 1.5 stone over weight for my 5ft 7 frame.  Im really worried about gaining.  Surely if just the uterus is removed it shouldnt have any affect on the weight.  Thats what my surgeoun has reassured me with anyway.  If I had any other option and could stop my periods in any other way I wouldnt consider this drastic surgery but I just dont know what else I can do.  I tried the coil and it got embedded into my c-section scar and I was rushed to hospital with agonising pain.   Ive taken the pill back to back for months which isnt good for me.... Im 38!!   Has anyone got anything positive to say about their hysterectomy.  Surely once I get rid of my womb which has caused me so much hell all my life I can get on and have a normal pain free life...... anything positive please????
I had a partial hysterectomy in 2008 and a total hysterectomy in 2010. I am going thru menopause (insomia, sweats,headaches,bone soreness/pain/depression). however, It is been 5 months already and i tried the natural way. I am also gaining weight and I would like an advise. The only thing I want to say is that please go natural do not take any hormones my doctor told me to go natural. I am taking black coho and it is helping me a lot. not with the weight but the menopause.
I had a hysterectomy in Aug of 2008 because of a grapefruit size fibroid. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. NO MORE CYCLES!!!!!! I still have both of my ovaries. I have PMS but no where on the same level as before. I have slight water gain and I am moody at what would have been my cycle days. After the surgery, I was still keeping up with days that I would be menestating (every 21 days with PMS lasting 3 days). It was still like clock work with the exception of bleeding all over the place, however the PMS last longer now, about a week but I feel like I can control it better by not eating junk when I know what would have been cycle time is near. I have always been a person that exercise and TRY to eat right ( Im from New Orleans) never was into fried food. Every now and then I eat out. I dont know what they put in restaurant food, even if you eat low calorie, you will still gain weight. A home cook meal is so much better. I am 48, however people think that I am 30ish. I fast alot for spiritual and cleansing reasons and I control what I allow my brain to receive. Everybody's experience, dont have to be your experience, so dont anticipate negative results. I believe that my experience was different because I still have my ovaries. So ladies, if it is possible to get only the uterus removed, then the hysterectomy is the way to go, but IF NOT, I would try some other form of treatment other than surgery, with a doctor that I trust and know what they are doing. I also had 2 ceserian births and the small cut that was made for the hysterectomy was on the same thin scar from the births. Pulling the staples out and gas pain was the worse of all and it was no joke however I dont miss my uterus. Robotic surgery is the best for good post surgery results, however I couldnt get it because of the size of the fibroid. The rumor about your vagina feeling cold to your partner during sex is not true either. The ph level in the vagina changes more because the uterus is gone which causes slightly more yeast infections however the over the counter stuff will take care of that. Stay positive and get as much GYN info as possible. Prayer keeps the depression out and help you to feel good about yourself which will cause your body to react properly to whatever treatment you are seeking.
i am 24 and have the complete hist at 23 i have gaied 60 lbs iv never be this heavy ever im sooo ashamed of the weight i do not go anywhere i exercise everyday eat good no junk food i only drink water and the weight keeps adding on i am only 24 this is the prime of my life i should be living my life to the fullest but im not plzz if there is someone to help and guide my to my old body i would be greatful thats all i want is my body back there is heart des and diabeties in my family im in need badly and as quick as possible
also i have had 2 kids and my youngest is almost 3 and had my complete hysterectomy march of 09 and my breast still produce milk and the weird thing is i never breast fed my kids and my boobs get so sore,fevered and leek like crazy to its not only my weight gain its all this too will this crazienes ever end  
Help me i have read all of you guys comment and it don't help at all. So what are we going to do. And who are we to call or write? I have gain 50 pounds and climbing. Drinking water does not help and salads is not good anymore. On my tredmill 30 minute a day does not help so now what? Why did we get an hysterectomy if all this trouble comes with it? Where you at DOCTORS?
I am 43 years old and had a "surprise" when I found out I was pregnant at 41 with my 2nd child.  I have had endometriosis for years and have had every drug and laproscopy surgery (3 times) that we could think of.  I also have lupus and have had to take medication for that occasionally and it can lead to weight gain.  Mostly everything was controlled by healthy diet and yoga.  After I had my daughter everything was kicked into high gear.  I had endo, fibroids and cysts and heavy bleeding.  I ended up having a hysterectomy leaving my ovaries and since then have also had weight gain (currently 23 pounds).  I went to my doctor and she had me go through more tests and ultrasounds and a thyroid biopsy.  Everything is normal
While back at her office I asked her about the weight gain and she told me that if I were losing weight then it would probably be a medical reason but because I was gaining that the only reason was because I was overeating.  She claims that because I still have my ovaries that my body doesn't even realize that anything has changed.  I knew that wasn't the case but needless to say it still hurt. I eat well and exercise regularly but continue to stay at the same weight.  It is nice to know that this is a common problem and that I am not the only one, unfortunately this is a common problem and I am not the only one.  These days grants are given to people for some really worthless studies, why cant someone do a study on this and try to help us all???
I have just had a hyst, doc left my ovaries behind as they are healthy and producing lots of hormones.  Neither Doc or I wanted to perform the surgery but after  exhausting alternative options for years with unstable hormones, this really was the last option open for me.  Truth is over the last 3 years my hormones have raged so fiercly out of control that I have gained 40+ pounds of which 20 pounds piled on over a 2 mth period last year.  Nothing was shifting the weight, I had previously joined weight watchers and lost all my weight become a life time member but when the hormones became unstable every diet I knew didnt work.  I did try Michael Thurmans diet this year, with fantastic results, worth looking up.  My husband had kidney cancer a couple of years back and had radical surgery and since then he could not lose any weight whatever he did, but this diet worked for both of us with amazing results.  I am aware I have the potential to gain weight post surgery now, however, I was gaining it pre surgery with nothing really working other than this extreme diet.  So heres to life after the hyst, at least I wont be having floods every 2 weeks for 2 weeks....
OMG!!! I like you all am suffering with wieght gain not just a little but too much,as i was reading ya's comments i also share alot of the same symtons i can not have a "O" ...
i have really hard time using the bath room#2... my left thigh is numb... i got a partial hyseractomy at 15yrs old having my son by c-section he didnt wanna come out normally after inducing my labor from april 17 1996 to april 18 1996 they decided to do a emergency c-section once my son was born my uterus rupterd and they had to cut my uterus out so i could survive they said as i layed there watching the doctors scrambling everywhere my mother left with my son to the nursery my mom finally came back to my side and the nurses explained in what had happend and said inorder to save your daughters life we will need to perform a partial hyseractomy my mother scared agreed i now 29 years old am married and have suffered a great deal of wieght gain proplems using the restroom depressed about who knows what my husband says he thinks i am going through menapaus i dont know i logged in here today and i am sorry you guys are going through this but i am happy i am not alone thank you for who ever thought of this website although i have not seen any ansers just comments from you and i we should all work together and find all the facts sounds like our doctors provided us with any facts or what we were gonna expeirence
Hi all
Thanks so much for your stories.....I have read all of them..   I just had a complete hysterectomy a week ago.  I have always been a slender type of person.....i now look like i did when I was 4 months pregnant.......I have no other symptoms other than night sweats - when I go to bed within a 1/2 hour I am so hot my hair looks like i just got out of the shower.   I know its only been a week but i am concerned about weight gain....I have been blessed with being slender by genes.  I have never had to watch what i eat.  Now from what I am reading here is that weight gain is no longer a controllable option for me....am i wrong?
I am 38 yrs. old had a hysterectomy 2 yrs ago and i am about to go nuts The docotors wont help me without a big chunk of money that i dont have as a waitress job. I have no sex drive, Im fat, No energy and Im about to go crazy. karaoke1972
i have the exact same problem and i had the surgery 2 years ago and i am now 50 lbs. heavier. it is so depressing. if i had know this then i wouldn't have done the surgery.
Holy Cow!  I thought that is what I am turning into anyway...  I had a full hysto May 2010 at 39.  8 months later and i've gained 8 lbs and my pants are tight.  I don't eat bad, mainly fish, turkey meat, etc. and have eaten healthy as long as I can remember.  I ran more frequently before the surgery but still do now (except this passed week from being lazy!) I don't want to gain anymore weight!  I am 5 ft 8 and went into surgery weighing 141 lbs and now i'm 149 and frustrated!  I feel like I am pregnant by the way my clothes are fitting!  Anyone have a routine or organic tea that they use please share it with the rest of us who have the same story!
hi to all and im glad to go through this site . i too did this surgery last year everything went fine but since last 2 months have gained 16 kg  and look like a big baloon ppl around me are making fun and i feel rejected plz someone help out im 49 year old with 2 sons and also daibetic
I had my total hysterectomy 8 years ago. Worst mistake ever. The pain would be worth it.

I would do anything to have my ovaries back. I have gained 70 pounds. I hate my body and my life. I hate that doctor. Level 4 endometriosis and I would do anything to have it back.

DONT LET THEM TAKE YOUR OVARIES EVER!  I am 31 and I feel like I am 60 years old. The weight goes nowhere. I have never been fat, I now look 8 months pregnant. Permanently.  I have tried every diet, exercise like crazy. Forget it the weight goes nowhere. I am going to see if they will staple my stomach like they do for the obese people. No one has come up with a answer to our prayers. I need something that will permanently help my body.
I am 47 yrs old and had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I had a huge fibroid and they had to remove it all. It saved my life and I don't regret it. I am so glad I have found this website as I don't feel alone or crazy anymore. I am lucky I am not in menopause, don't sweat or feel anything unsual. My problem is that weight gain, I have gained 50 pds and I cannot get it off. I have tried everything and nothing works. I have never been so heavy in my life. I will look into biodentical hormones as I am not taking anything. I will attempt my last diet after that I will look for surgerical alternatives. I am fed up don't know what to do anymore. I don't have a life anymore due to weight gain. I may smile all day at work as I have to but I am so unhappy. It is beyond depressing and to make it worse I am single also. Who in the world would want me looking like this? I used to be beautiful now I am someone I don't recognize anymore.  
I too am like you all!! Since my hysterectomy I have gained so much weight 40lbs and no matter what I do it won't come off.  I am so depressed.  I have had my thyroid tested and my dr tells me it's fine.  I exercise, eat right and can't loose a pound.  I am going to seek a specialist and start some natural hormone replacement.  Maybe I will see a difference and I am going to check out Michael Thurman diet .  Thanks for the tip.
Lori
I have gained 8 pounds since my hysterectomy 6 weeks ago.
I have been kind to myself by telling myself that I just went through a tough
surgery.
I will have to go on Weight Watchers and lay off of the large meals and candy. I crave candy.

I am 52, and still think that the hysterectomy with the removal of the ovaries was the right decision for me.

I just hate all of this talk about so much weight gain. I hate it because it wounds like it comes with this type of surgery.

I am going to see if I work harder about getting rid of all of the junk food and eating smaller, healthier meals helps.

I haven't felt like doing much exercising, because my belly is still tender.

My belly makes me look
pregnant!

Sad, but true.
I had heard a few sad stories from friends and family about people that opted not to do the surgery, so I decided to go through with it.

Just curious:
Has anyone LOST weight after their hysterectomy?
im about to have my surgey a full hysterectomy i don't want it now but isn't there a hrt that they give you after your surgery to stop the sweats and weight gain? its in my notes that they do so???
It is a great relief to find this site as I too had a hyster about 1 year ago and have gained about 20 lbs since then.  I also have the pleasure of hypothyroidism oh what fun which makes losing weight even harder as I have a very low metabolism.  I am so frustrated and depressed that I just want stay home all the time but I do make myself stay with my soccer games 2 to 5 times a week. I am 44 and have 1 child who is almost 17 and was born by emergency c section.  Just fustrating as is what it is to have people look at you like you are a lazy person when I am not at all.

baibug
I am turning 41 this year and last year I had my gallbladder out and a full hystetectomy I to am gaining weight very fast this is not fair I worked very hard to get it off and now the fear of it coming back.It also has not helped my sex life I'm kinda lost with all this.what help is out there for us where do we turn for our answers.ask your doctor get more test all for what. I think its up to us woman to take control of this and just keep working hard and don't give up I'm not and all of you shouldn't either.
I am 12 years out from a complete hysterectomy- immediately I started gaining weight and lost my waist line, I watched my calories and increased my exercise to no avail.  I am a pharmacist and what finally helped me was researching my own hormones.  I discovered that our blood tests in menopause can be normal, but our cells aren't getting the hormones! I started researching natural hormones and discovered bio-identical hormone replacement therapy.  BHRT changed my life.  I lost weight, got my waist back, started sleeping again, wasn't depressed and found my sex life I had lost!  For me BHRT has been a life saver.  I have since become a certified compounding pharmacist, and spend the majority of my day helping patients with their hormone disorders.  I was researching information for a new patient and found this site.  Maybe BHRT can help you too! Best wishes
BHRT RPH
Wow, I am so glad I found this site.   I am scheduled to be checked for fibroids....with extreme bleeding and irregular periods. (sometimes every week and a half)  I am sick of how I am affected by this every month.  My cramps are unbearable.  I was so ready for the doctors to just give me the surgery and now I am definitely going to try other options.  My reason for posting is to thank all of you who were willing to share your experiences...it is helping me a ton.  
My other reason for posting is this....remember that it is what you are on the inside that counts.  You are beautiful!  God is so good.  As a best friend, Jesus can provide you with the confidence and happiness you need...even when something like this surgery seems to be taking so much away from you.  Look up Romans 10:9-10 to find out how to make Him your best friend.  It's free of charge!! and will be the best decision you will every make!
I have had a complete hysto and before surgery I could climax 5-6 times in one evening, now lucky to even want sex, not to mention a climax. The only thing that has helped me climax was an electric massager with an understanding husband, and then if the feeling hits me once a month. And I've gained 100# in the last 15 years. I've read Dr. Lee's book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause." a wee bit too late. and even talking to my physician doesn't help, NOONE seems to know how to replace the needed hormones and NOONE cares. The damage is done! And artificial hormones are not the answer. So now what? I had two male doctors refuse to give me that fateful hysterectomy and finally a woman butcher told me she would and how wonderful it is not having to worry about migraines, painful cramps and heavy bleeding. I went for it, now regretfully trying to lose weight and keep my husband.
Unbelievable as I have read all of your comments...I too have had a complete hyterectomy, actually in 02 they took my uterus then continued to repair my ovaries year after year removing one and keeping the other. I just had the last removed 2 years this September and have gained 60 pounds and my sex drive is completely gone. I never had the mood swings nor hot flashes. But recently i get a surge of heat over me that passes in no time the weight continues to add if eating  good and exercise. I went from a 4 to a 12 and am miserable to say the least. Oh an I too seem to have in belly and NEVER had a belly in my life except when prago. I am 47 and really feel at my lowest and not pretty nor any enery ever. There has got to be something out there to help
I too had a complete hysterctomy last year in March. I lost 40lbs prior to my surgery and kept it off for two years, Then a few months after my hysterctomy I gained five pounds, One year later after counting calories and my job is physically demanding so I do get exercise I have gained 15 lbs if not more. Most is in my belly and hips. I am on estrogen and after my doctor increases my dosage this year in Janurary I gained more weight.. I watched a talk show last year about women and weight gain after having a hysterectomy and they say it is due to hormone loss. Testosterone and pogesterone, also estrogen play a key role in your metabolism and sometimes your thyroid. HRT is low dose so that is not enough to stimulate your metabolism. Exercise and eating healthy is all they suggest and that sometimes is not enough to get the metabolism going. Do a youtube search on weight gain after hysterectomy. They have doctors giving advice and also answers to why there is weight gain not just only after a hysterectomy but after natural menopaus.. Chin up ladies we are all not alone and we might just have to accept our bigger bodies and realize we have an excuse and we are doing everything right but nothing is working.
Hi ladies I to feel your pain, I had the cramps, back pain, bleeding etc.. and I went to the doctor and was told I had fibroids the size of grapeftuits. It called for a total hys.They took everthing. I went in Febuary 2010 at 235IBS and three months later started to rapidly gain my weight back. After surgery I looked in the mirror and thought wow I look good skinny, except for my thighs. I told my self I'm going to try my best to keep it off, but I failed. Like all of you I walk twice a day, watch what I eat and drink, I take estogen everyday and still NOTHING!!!. It really makes me mad. Today and I say this with a sad heart I weigh 250IBS. Somewere, somehow, someone must know what the hell is going on and give us the help we all need to feel confident, beautiful, stressless, and give us the ability to be ourselves in and out of the bedroom.
i had mine when i was 35,i am now 46 years old,at first it was ok,then i lost my desire with sex and then came my stomach,wow that was fun.now it is with me where ever i go.like everyone here i have tryed everything.i walking and do my set ups,eat right,nothing works.i have been to  a few doctors.nothing new there.i was hoping to find some good new on here,looks like another dead end,will ladies like the men say,chin up! tommorow is another day!
I had a partial Hysto due to systs. lost one ovary. ( doctor inserted a coil and didnt notice the syst- went back for 6 wk check and another doctor saw me and thought I had an ectopic!- syst was size of a grapefruit- rushed into hospital and had the surgery.)
about a year later I  was in intense pain..even walking hurt. back and forth to doctors who treated me for wind, constipation, piles , you name it ! finally doctor examined me at 12 wks and said I was pregnant (yippee) but had a lump on my other ovary. Sent to Hospital who couldnt tell me if it was cancerous but surgery was advised. Bottom line  was told i had 2 choices-
1) have immediate surgery to check if cancerous and if it was they would remove it , but I would lose the baby but have higher chance of retaining both my life and bits so could go on to have another.
2) wait till later in the pregnancy, risk cancer ( if lump was cancerous) additional risk to myself and could still lose baby, and be in ever increasing pain and also higher risk of losing my bits.

I opted for 1 with no further medical advice( worst decision of my life but hey doctors could be trusted ? yes? )....and when I came round from surgery ( while still groggy) I was told " you lost the baby and the ovary" just like that....."oh and by the way no cancer". I cried myself stupid especially when they addded insult to injury by saying it was a miracle I even got pregnant - 1 in a million - given the state of my one ovary....

I kept bleeding every day as I still had all my bits except the ovaries and was on HRT. For 9 months I put up with it...bleeding every day , gaining weight... gained 3 stone (42 pounds) in first month yet my lifestyle had not changed one iota- even was back at work inside a fortnight- albeit taking it easy and being driven to and from - apart from the bleeding and weight I felt fine physically!

However I  was miserable on HRT , doctors wouldnt listen and eventually after 9 months went back to hospital and told them I was stopping HRT.  they werent happy but the bleeding stopped.
When I mentioned the weight gain my doctor ( a man) said - and I quote! " well what do you expect at your age" I was 35. "look at my nurse - she's overweight but doesnt moan about it" his nurse could have killed him if the look she gave him connected... I went out to my car and cried for half an hour solid....

I have always been slim - from age 16 I weighed 7 stone (98 pounds) ate evrything in sight and never gained an ounce. was active . Only time I gained weight was when I was pregnant with my two kids and lost all weight within days of giving birth with little or no effort.
I am 5 ft 1.5 inches.

When I stopped the HRT they  gave me a full hysto.

I have regretted my decision every day since then to my current day - I am now 52. I have tried everything and the weight is still there- as with others bum, tummy and thighs.... I hate myself. I hate the weight.....and am at a point where I could quite easily end it all...but for my two beautiful grandchildren......who despite my weight love me.

My partner of 24 years has admitted that he finds me less attractive at my current weight. we havent had sex for over 3 years although I still have my sex drive and can still achieve the big O- thank god we dont need men to be able to do that...

I havent taken any form of HRT since age 35.
I have an odd flush which can last an hour or so but isnt severe, I dont get night sweats, but do suffer insomnia getting often no more than 2-3 hours sleep at a time, appetite is up and down, am still  at my heaviest ever topping 170 pounds and it may vary by a pound or two but no more regardless of how active I am or how much/little I eat or the type of food I eat.

I hate my body- I hate my life because of it- I hate the doctors and medical profession that havent worked on this issue especially given todays obsession with fitness and weight issues......
I still have a few treasured items of clothing that fit me back in the day... one skirt I used to wear all the time I cant get past my knees. It depresses me but I keep them to convince myself I was that size once although it feels a life time ago and I suppose it is...

I have almost resigned myself to being miserable for the rest of my life... this forum at least lets me know I am not alone... and I thank you for that ... I am in UK and dont think the HCG metioned in previous posts is available here? anyone know if it is? as it sounds worth a go.

My best wishes to you all lots of hugs and God willing perhaps my daughter and any subsequent generations will have access to a solution even if its too late for us.
J
I had a partial hysterectomy nearly eight years ago. I ballooned instantly! The MDs said my thyroid was sluggish. I took levoxyl and lost about sixty pounds only to put it back on again. Grr. Now for whatever reason I've lost 20 pounds. I. Think my endocrine system is FRIED. Any one else out there with this problem?
Well my Gynecologist never warned me of this. I wonder why?? He has moved so I can't ask him.  Were any of you warned about weight gain?? This really ticks me off!
I too at 43 had a hysty, due to bleeding, fibroides and anemia. I don't regret it a bit despite the sessions with night sweats, hot flashes, broken sleep patterns, weight gain and profuse sweating. I "cured" some problems with Wild Yam Complex, which helps as long as I remember to do three a day usually with meals, the difference is there. I too went through "hormone replacement therapy" and tried to keep it natural, after needing pills once a day, creams twice a day and a shot every week I opted out and decided to fight it on my own. Black Cahosh helps, so does vitamin e and b12 and b6, you have to find your own mixes, usually takes about a month for your body to tell you whats good for it. The Wild Yam Complex has been my best, get it from Standard Process as they are the best quality around. So far I've tried Adreanal Suppliments which have helped raise my energy, and now am going to try natural thyroid support recomended by my local health food store. Always try to keep it natural, and try to get rid of all your whites, sugar, flour, rice. While I still cant seem to lose the thirty pounds I've gained I'm not gaining any more. Also try grazing, eat little bits every hour or so especially within an hour of wakeing (a granola bar, a piece of fruit, raw veggies, no fat milk or soy milk) till about six hours from wakeing,(a lil nibbling keeps the body from realizing it's hungry and asking for lots) stop eating after your five oclock in the evening or four to six hours before sleep. It all helps, keep exercising both body and mind, meditation does wonders and if you have to have alchol, (some of us do), low carb beer, fruit with clear alchol like vodka and dark red wines to moderation). While I too hate to look in the mirror at what this body builder has become I also remember that I have my health and don't do pharmacuticals to live comfortably, (besides the occassional tylenol for major pain from all weekend softball tourney which I still do at fifty). I also do a baby asprin a day for my heart and my peice of mind, (my cholesteral is near three hundred and the statin drugs do not help.) Remember to always smile especially when u r at your lowest, and pet a dog, that helps with stress and worry.
At 26 i had an emergency hysterectomy, i used to be slim and eat more than i do now.2 yrs on and 28lbs heavier (so depressing :( ) i have tried everything to loose the weight! i even went 3 weeks just having a slice of toast and apple every day, the scales didn't shift! i havent put any more weight on and have stayed at this heaviest weight i have ever been. the good thing though is i'm still full of energy and have very high sex drive now too (so it cant all be bad for me lol ;) ) On a serious note if any one does find a break through please please share :) i want to fit back in my size 8's!!! (yes i have kept the clothes lol)- i keep telling my self "one day!!!!" X
I feel so helpless now. I am 32 and had only my womb removed a year ago the weight is comin on fast and nothing I do gets rid of it. Now they are threatening to take my ovaries and I'm petrified I will just balloon. I'm not vain but I don't want to be fat. I hate being me
Thank God for you.....I needed to see your post..I am 46 and preparing to have a partial hysterectomy 8/29/11.
I am a yoga instructor 44 years old and had my first hyst removing just uterus in 09 and in March of this year had it all removed due to serious endo growths.  I've gained a lot of weight and I exercise, eat well and teach yoga!  I am up to 167 pounds on a 5'4 frame and I was 134 before my first hyst in 09.

I am thinking that the only way to lose the 30 lbs I have gained since my hysterectomy is to completely cut out all grains and all forms of sugar and eat only vegetables galore and lean proteins with a supplement of healthy fat (coconut and fish oil) with a bile salt supplement to digest the fat.  I also think the key is consume all nutrition before 7 pm and only have water between 7 pm and 7 a.m. PLUS daily cardio and light weights and gentle yoga.... I'm about to try this... is anyone with me?
I didn't read through this entire blog due to its length but am wondering if anyone has had issues such as mine. I gained weight over a long period of time, gradually my monthly period also got worse. At this time I didn't really work out and I maintained a weight of about 147 lbs. which is a lot on a 5'2 frame. Immediately after my hysterectomy (removed uterus and cervix only) I lost tons of weight was down to about 134 and feeling awesome! Now the weight is packing on fast.. like I currently weigh 150 lbs. (it *****) and am starting to wonder if something else is wrong with me, is something else growing that shouldn't be?.. lol! hypochondriac by nature. I've started working out, weight training, tread mill, eliptical, and cardio just this week, so we'll see how it goes.. I've also quit smoking but do not indulge in food as a back-up.. Guess I just need to vent but this is a battle and I specifically asked the doctor before surgery if there were going to be ANY negative outcomes from this surgery.. I feel lied to!
There has got to be a solution to counter the insult to our beautiful bodies.  Before my dreaded surgery, I had lost down from 239lbs to 185 and was proud of myself losing so much weight.  I was on a role.  Then, I had that dreaded surgery, because like a few of you, I was bleeding to death and my blood count took a nose dive all the way down to an alarming 6.5, which is dangerously low.  So convinced in my mind that surgery was the only way, I had the surgery in June of 2010.  Since the surgery, I have gained 38 lbs.  I am now at 223.  I too am totally disgusted.  Just like all of you, I have been exercising my butt off.  I would eat a little of nothing.  Also like you, I have this sensation able, yet unbelievable sweet tooth.    Totally I have to fight my craving.  I refuse to keep sweets in my home.  There has got to be an answer somewhere.  Doctors have got to listen.  There are far too many of us for this to be ignored