Weight Loss Alternatives Community
weight gain after stopping depo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to weight loss alternatives, programs, and dietary supplements.

weight gain after stopping depo

I used depo provera injections for two and a half years. It's been over a year since my last injection. within the first six months after stopping the shot I gained 40lbs without a change in my diet and excercise.I was told this was unusual to gain after stopping the shot and that i may never lose the weight. Is this true? or is the only way to go back on the shot because while i was on the shot i actually lost weight.but if that's the answer won't i be trapped on the shot forever?
I auctally was on that same shot and the same thing happend to me, i was always active and in pretty good shape until i started using the depo i usede it for appx. the same amount of time as you and i must have gained about 25-30lbs as well....that was about 3 years ago and i am still suffering from the weight.
Yikes! I'm in the same situation! I went off depo after being on it for 2 years, last July. I got married last October and I've gained 25 pounds in a year. Mostly in my middle. I'm not a big exerciser, but I haven't changed my lifestyle all that much anyway. I thought it was the "newlywed 15" but it never felt quite right. My doctor never told me about any weight gain once coming off the depo, only while I was on it. I'm going to loom further into this. Thanks for the info!
Same thing had happened to me! I was on the depo shot for 6 months.  I gained approx 12 pounds, so I decided stop having it.  I stopped using it expecting to lose the weight. (I lost 10 pounds immediately after going off the pill a few years before and never gained the weight back until I started up with the shot.)  After going off the shot I had actually gained another 15 pounds within 3 months.
I lost 10 pounds using the Weight Watchers program, but I still have the extra pounds 2 years later. I had heard about weight gain while using the shot, however this is the first time I've heard anyone say anything about gaining weight afterwards.  I had suspected all those hormones effected me some how, but didn't think much about it.  Now it really makes me wonder....
I was on the depo shot for about 1 year and gained about 40 lbs within the first 4-6 months. This was about 3 years ago and I have had a weight problem ever since, which I never had before.
Same here and it sucks.  I have been on depo for just over 9 months.  I have gained 15 lbs.  I have a hyper thyroid and up until the depo couldnt gain weight if I tried and would loose pounds if I missed any meals.  Now I am trying to loose and cant even with the extremely over active thyroid gland.  I was thinking about stopping depo to loose the extra weight, but after reading all of ya'lls comments...it seems to get worse after...
wow. it sounds like theres a serious problem here. I've been on the shot since November of 2005 and have gained about 20 pounds since then. In the 3 months between my 1st and 2nd shot, i lost 8 lbs. while working out on a regular basis.  I still work out 3-4 times a week, but have yet to lose any weight at all. In fact, i've gained 2 lbs since i've been working out regularly again for the past 3 months. my family and boyfriend blame it on muscle weight, but as small as my frame is, my weight is extremely unnatural. No matter how much i try, the weight seems to stay the same and my self esteem is at its worst.
I was on depo for 3 years and I LOST 25 pounds.  I have been off for 3 months and have gained only 5.
Wow you are the lucky minority, most women - like myself gain on depo... It's taken me 2 yrs and I still haven't gotten rid of it all.
I can't belive i found this thread, i have been searching the net for others who have this problem too... i started depo provera approx 3 yrs ago and whilst on it i never had any changes to my weight.  I stopped the injection 5 months ago and so far have put on 8lb with no change in my diet or lifestyle!! I can't believe it and its really gettin me down!!
I am 20 years old and start taking the shot before my 19th birthday. I didn't gain any weight, in fact I lucked amazing! I weighted 128 pounds and gained maybe 2 pounds the first 2 shots.... Then I took the next 2 and gained 10 pounds!! OMG!! I thought I was so fat. It all went my thighs. Then the last shot I took I gained  another 20 pounds which has put me up to 158! Its all in my thighs and my calves! I have went up 3 pants sizes! I recently just stopped taking it but seem to be gaining weight still, but I'm afraid to weigh myself! I need help with losing this weight too!
I'm with everyone who knew about weight gain on depo, but knew nothing about gaining after stopping. Here is my story.

I Weighed 147 before pregnancy six and a half years ago. Gained to 196 by the end of my first . Two months after I had my child I was down to 143. ( less then my pre baby weight! ) Then I started depo.   Over the course of two years I gained every pound of my pregnancy weight back.
Then I became pregnant with my second child. (while on depo, whole other story! )During this pregnancy I gained about 30 lbs.
This put my weight at 226.  I then shed 44 lbs to 182 in 5 months.  Same as befoe I went back on depo and gained all the weight back over a three year period.  It seemed odd to me that I kept gaining the weight back even though I hadn't changed my diet, food intake or activity level.  I've never been a big eater, I actually don't care to eat most of the time and have to force myself to find something when my stomach growles at me.  When I talked to my doctor about my concern she tested for thyroid problems and diabetes, after all was fine with these tests she suggested that the problem was the depo.  So I stopped the depo, bought a tredmill for my home, started taking Lipozene, and have been faithfully exercising 45 minutes a day for the past 3 months.  Every so often I lose 1 or 2 lbs But imediatly gain it right back.  Until I read this forum I never would have thought that it could possibly be the depo.  I've been so frustrated not being able to get the weight off, And now I'm even more depressed to think I might never be able to.  If anyone out there has any advice please let me know.  I'm desperate!!
I recently hit the end of my last depo shot (April 4) and I've only been off for not even a week and I've gained 5-6 lbs!  I did not gain any weight while on the shot so this came as quite a surprise.  It concerns me how fast I've been gaining weight now that I'm off the shot.  I know it can linger in your body for quite some time so this was not expected!  My belly especially is showing the weight and I feel like I'm 5 months pregnant!  My midsection has really bloated and I am very tired lately.  I've had some spotting coming off the shot too so it has been quite a whirlwind for my body.  I am concerned about how much weight I am going to gain coming off of the shot!  Any advice?????
well here's my sad story. I lost a baby back in nov of 2007. I was sooo scared of getting pregnant again that I took the depo shot. (a single mother of 2 very young boys) I bleed every day until about 2 weeks ago it finally stop. I got off the shot in May of 2008 since i was no longer seeing anyone and want the bleeding to stop. it's only been 2 months or so and I've already agained 15 pounds and feels like the last 3 weeks i gain a pound or two and lose one then gain 2 and it's been horrible. depressed!!
well my situation is diffrent from the ones i read,before my baby i was 102 lbs which i've always had a problem with because i would love to be a little thicker so after i gave birth i was about 130 and loving it. after my 6 week check up i decided to take depo and i'v been loosing weight rapidly my son is 9 months old and i'm about 100 lbs. so i took my last dose of depo in march i wonder will i gain any weight back because i look like a child. i hope i gain like some of the other women
I started taking Depo after my second child 14 years ago. I took it for around a year and a half. I have never had problems with my weight before but since the depo I gained around 50 pounds and never lost it. Just like most of the other woman here it was after the shot not during.
Thanks for everyone's candidness. My turn...I am scared to death after reading all these testimonies. I've been on depo for between 2.5-3 yrs and loved it.. Have a healthy relationship with my body weight since being anorexic in high school.  Since h.s. I've always weighed ~115. High metabolism, very fortunate. Didn't gain any weight on the shot--until NOW. 23, just figured out the damn shot was the cause of the 15 lbs. I put on in 1 month and 5 since. (Last 2 months) For a while I was blaming the weight gain on another medication I was on, that was helping me, and actually stopped taking it until my eyes opened this past week! I have gone from a size 4 to my ultimate low, not fitting into size 11 jeans tonight. The last few days I was getting hopeful that when the chemicals leave my body I will loose the weight. Now I'm super scared. If this is any encouragement--the person who just by chance--opened my eyes to the cause for my weight gain--said after she was on it for 3 years she put on 30 lbs in 6 months, went off it, and quickly lost 20. I'm so upset for all of us. It's not like our lifestyles/diet have changed--if anything we've gotten healthier in a desperate effort to drop a few!
I've experienced the same thing. I was using depo for 6 years and lost weight on it. As soon as I stopped and went to Yasmin I gained 20 lbs. I'm now going back to depo to see if the weight comes off.

Research has shown that about 60% of women gain weight on it, 20% lose weight and 20% have no change. But there is nothing on weight gain/loss after.

Depo also has a slight anabolic effect i.e. making it easier to build muscle.
Ugh!!! I can't believe the stories I have been reading!  I started taking the shot October of 2008. My third injections was scheduled for March of this year but after I did two cycles and decided to get off.  I have gained about 15 pounds which started coming on after the second shot.  I was told by my doctor that "you skinny girls never gain weigh!"  Sure!!!  I am watching my diet more than ever which is crazy because I have always taken care of myself and work out a couple x per week.  I just don't know how to get this weight off!!! I am at 140 5'5 and tired of my clothes being to tight!!  I am 36 and a mom of a 5, 7 and 9 year old.  Please help!!!
AH!
I lost weight on the depo (on it for about 3 years) and then, I also, started gaining MAD WEIGHT after quitting it! Like 30 pounds in the matter of months!! I eat the same and everything. I was a size 4 or smaller before and now none of my jeans fit and I am just miserable I hate this I wish there were some answers to fix this horrible problem. I hate looking in the mirror! I've always been kind of lazy and am really kind of scared to try and make myself exercize only to find out (as so many are saying) that I wont lose any weight! I'm going to stop eating as of today and try and kill this problem because this is aweful and this thread is so scary. I hate fat! And I refuse to be it.  ;(
I was presicribed depo to help with my dysmennorrhea (painful menstrual cycles, vomiting, diarrhea, clotting) I weighed 180 at 5'11 before starting the shot. within 2 months I gained 20lbs. This is during my time in the police academy I was very active. I was on the shot for  1 yr. I recently stopped taking the shot, I now weigh 220lbs. Not to mention I bled for a month & 3 days after my last shot wore off. Women are meant to release the waste that depo makes u retain.  
I too have been obsessed lately with my body.  I stopped using Depo about 4 months ago and it looks like my belly has exploded.  I am extremely fit and work out a minimum of 5 days a week which included bike riding.  I have gained i would have to say between 5-10 pounds in the last month.  I started taking the pill immediately after stopping depo and got so scared that today I took a pregnancy test. Thankfully negative.  I am so uncomfortable in my own skin now.  I just don't know what to do.  This is so not normal.  I just turned 30 and got engaged month ago.  This is supposed to be the happiest time of my life... Now I look in the mirror in absolute disgust.
I was on it for 2.5 years took a year off and went back on cause my periods are so bad. I used to have a dream motabolism but it ruined that.  After the first year on it I started gaining weight and fast.  I lost it when I took my break but my motabolism hasn't been the same.  
The weight is back and I haven't had a shot in 5 months. I run most everyday and I'm only gaining mass cause the muscle builds up under the fat but I can't loose the fat. It's frustrating but if you eat well, (small healthy meals several times a day,) and are active the weight should come off.
I hope that all of you are loosing weight now. It takes a lot of time for Depo Provera to get out of your system.
I went from size 4 to size 14 in Depo, and I am now using Mirena instead and use a zero carb diet and lost 30 lbs so far.
My periods are still not normal. I look a lot better than when when I was on Depo. It literally put me in a constant "pregnant" state for years and made me hold on to fat and water, which is being released now. The weight around my belly and legs is just about gone.
I look forward to getting my body back again!
My BF didn't know it was the Depo making me fat, so while I was on depo provera I starved myself on strict diets, exercised like crazy,Went to a hollywood weight loss doc, took HCG weight loss shots and prescription weight loss pills, even cut out fats, lowered my calories to 500 a day, and GAINED WEIGHT!
My GYN told me the Depo was making me fat. Told me to to stop it ASAP and stop eating any white foods(no sugar,potatoes,bread, and esp. no alcohol), quit starving myself, and eat some protein and fat.Up my calories not lower them. I didn't think it would work. My BF said it was crazy!(he is a vegetarian and uses juice fasts a lot, which made me gain also!) I went home and googled her advice, and found a zero carb diet forum. There are a lot of people that eat zero carb.I just never realized it. It worked! Now the BF weighs more than me!
I feel so much better knowing I am not the only one experiencing this dilemma with Depo. I had been on and off of Depo for the last 6 years and of course gained weight during but was always losing it on break periods. However, this year has been different. I was on it for 6 months straight this year. The first dose I did not gain weight but the second dose I gained 15 pounds. So I stopped to loose that weight but surprisingly afterwards I gained 20 more pounds. I feel like my weight gained happened overnight!!!
Each time you use Depo, your body becomes more and more insulin resistant, therefore weight gain ensues. You will even gain weight after stopping it due to the fact it is still stored in fat. Remember that it is injected into the fatty area to work. Residual depo still resides there. when you lose the fat, you lose the depo provera. That's why our periods are still not normal for a long time afterward, because it is still in fatty tissue.
The good thing is you can lose the weight. A low carb or zero carb diet until you lose the weight. And you will lose it fast.
If i would have known all this all along i would have stayed on the pill.

I started the depo shot back in feb of 2009 and went off of it in july of 2009 ( lost insurance and could pay for it ) i gained like 3 lbs on it and i thought it was because i graduated and wasnt running track anymore but i was still working and i was active. i have never weighed over 120 lbs my whole life and now it been 5 months of me being off the depo shot i weight 160 lbs.

I dont kno if i go back on it if i would loose the weight ? If anyone can help me please email me thank you.

***@****
I was on the depo for 7 seven years and didn't experience any out of the ordinary weight gain.  It has been a year since my last injection and I have gained 10 pounds since I have been off it.  I am only 5'2' and 10 pounds has made a huge difference.  I am 34 years old and just started weight watchers in efforts to lose the extra weight.... additionally I have started to go back to the gym... but I also have made up my mind to go back on the depo.  This weight has to go!!
I have already submitted one post on a similar comment under "Getting off of Depo Provera after 11 years - need advice". So I thought I would bring my experience to this page as well. Here is my original post from the other comment:
Hello Everyone. I first went on Depo when I was 16 and was on it for two years before I went off. I was just starting to become sexually active and wanted to be safe, but also I had very painful periods and heard that the shot could reduce and possibly eliminate periods. I stopped getting a period immediately, not even any spotting. When I went off the first time at 18 my cycle returned to normal pretty much right away, maybe about two or three months after the last shot had worn off or two or three months after when I was scheduled for a shot. Then about a year later at 19 I went back on it because I got involved in a serious relationship. I am now 25 and had been on the shot for six years. I was last due for a shot the first week of November 2009 and didn't renew because I had decided I was sick of being on birth control and now that I am engaged to the man I started dating at 19, I think we may want to try to have a child right after we get married. So I had heard that it can take a really long time to get out of your system and that it is very unsafe to get pregnant if you don't wait at least a year after going off.

I too started to feel as if I was pregnant. I have been pregnant once before and miscarried and I remember the symptoms. The biggest one being the tender boobs. I remember about a week before every scheduled shot I would get moody, nauseous and feel a little crampy like I was going to get my period. It would wear off right about a week after getting the shot. Since I have been off the shot in November (3 months ago) I have gained 10lbs, had a ton of nausea, especially in the morning and really tender boobs. I took two over the counter pregnancy tests that came back negative but then went to my doctor and she ran a ton of blood tests, including pregnancy. I am not pregnant and all my levels are normal. My doctor is shocked that I gained weight after going off the shot, I didn't really gain much more than about five pounds when I went on it originally at 19. I work out six days a week for an hour and a half each time and I stick to a very strict diet. I count every calorie I take in my body and don't exceed 1400 a day and I try to make that 1400 as healthy as possible. So it seems almost impossible to gain weight, but I am. Just another symptom that would make me think I was pregnant.

So for now I am just waiting to see what happens, no period yet after three months, not that I am looking forward to it really, but i just want to be normal again. Something I really wanted to make clear here though is... I am not a doctor but I have done a lot of research and spoken with multiple doctors. All Birth Control is dangerous and harmful. Some may have higher levels of hormones but all in all it isn't good for us. Think about it, Birth Control isn't natural. I have been to many sites on the discussion of male contraceptive. It exists if you thought it didn't. Get this, research shows it is less harmful and more effective. Look it up. Now you wanna know why your boyfriend or husband can't go out and find it, because majority of men won't take it. There is no market for it so it isn't on the market. Men complain about women "trapping" them with pregnancy and all that but then won't take any responsibility themselves. Its sad, my fiance would take it if they had it. It isn't good for them either, it still isn't natural but it is safer than the effects on women. So no matter what birth control you take, you are at risk. Just food for thought... it isn't just Depo.
I came back with this update today though:
I wanted to come back with an update. As I mentioned in my post before, I was on Depo for 6 years and was scehduled for my last injection on November 2nd and I didn't get that shot as I had decided to go off of the shot. It is now about Mid March and I just starting bleeding again, I never did during the shot. So almost five months after going off of the shot is what it has taken to start bleeding again for me personally. But it doesn't feel like normal. The bleeding is light and very dark like it would be at the end of a cycle and the cramps are back but not as bad as I remember them being. So its almost like my uterus is getting thicker (the shot thins the lining of the uterus) and it is shedding again, but I don't think the bleeding is from ovulation or a lose of an egg which would cause much heavier and brighter bleeding. I think I am in for a full blown period still, but just wanted to update everyone on the bleeding since some people are curious about the experience some of us have had with when our bleeding returns after going off the shot.

I still haven't really lost any weight but I can say the gaining has come to a halt. I am maintaining my weight but still not happy about the weight that I have gained so I will keep trying to get it off and hope that with a return of a normal cycle that maybe my weight will start to go down too. I will come back and report any further updates or changes.
Thank you for posting your story. I learned a lot from you. Your periods will one day be normal. It took me about 8 months to be like they used to be. Congrats on your engagement!  Glad to hear the weight gain has stopped, and that you are working out.
If you want to lose weight faster after depo-provera, do what my Dr. told me. I was eating healthy and eating 1500 cals a day. She told me to eat only meat and fat (so, cheese, meat, chicken, butter, oils, eggs) anything zero carb. I didn't believe her. I had to have my tortillas and salads! She also suggested dropping down my calories to 50-1000. What? And starve? But I wasn't hungry after trying it.
So, guess what. I told her I would try her crazy advice for a week. She told me to never eat anything white (except chicken). Well her advice worked. It's something about the Depo Provera and and inability to metabolize carbs while Depo is still hiding in your tissues. She told me to eat this way until I lost the weight I want, and that then I could eat bread, salad, and the foods I love again. She also said the weight will not come back, as the depo will be gone. So I look forward to that in another month or so. I have already lost 45 lbs!  
Thank you for posting and I look forward to hearing more about your experiences!
SG
I had been on the DEPO for about 5 years, i came off it 4months ago.  I still haven't come on my period and now i am feeling sore breasts.  IS THIS NORMAL?? I don't think i'm pregnent.
Wow I am in the same boat as alot of you women are.  I've been on the Depo shot since I was 15 and I'm now 21, my senior year of high school I weighed roughly 100 lbs.  Now almost 22 I weigh 140 lbs! and it doesn't seem to be stopping.  I would love to get off of the depo shot but unfortunately my doctor keeps telling me that there is nothing else that will work for me.  I have extremely horrible cramps when I have my period.  It was so bad that I had a week a month in school that was an excused absence because they were so bad.  The only way that we found to get rid of them was not having a period at all.  The 3 side effects that I noticed the most was weight gain, lack of sex drive and laziness.  My family doctor perscribed me to a weight loss pill about 3 months ago.  I went for a check up and had actually gained 2 lbs!  He switched the weight loss pill to try something else so only time will tell..I just want my body back, no matter how much I exercise and watch my portions I don't seem to lose anything. It is mainly in my lower tummy and thighs..I actually have stretch marks on my inner thighs, and I have never had stretch marks!  Im only 21 I should be in my prime but the shot has made me feel like I'm 60!
I can help you. I have been where you are. The depo shot causes insulin resistance. Please Google insulin resistance, or look in my earlier posts above. I feel your pain with the heavy bleeding and cramps you experienced before going on Depo Provera. I too went through this. Let me assure you that you will have lighter periods after stopping the shot, and no periods for a long time, even a year, as your body returns to normal. The Mirena is your answer to birth control. you will have lighter periods on the Mirena. Insurance covers it, and it is a one time deal insertion, and no worry after. It can be taken out in  5 years, and there are no side effects.
Please note: As long as you are on Depo, there is no amount of exercise, pill, weight loss shots, and caloric restriction that will help lose weight. Really. The hormones from the Depo put you in a permanent false state of pregnancy. This means you will hold water, fat, etc because your body has been given a hormone that kicks in to cause a primitive instinct to help the fetus survive, even though there is no fetus! It also changes your body chemistry. It causes your pheromones to attract clan (family) instead of significant others. So, boyfriend-husband relations suffer. Many have reported awful fights, change in personality, and ruined relationships while on Depo. It's just the nature of the hormone. As soon as you go off, your body will start to get rid of the Depo Provera. It is not instant. It takes time because it is stored in your tissues (fat, muscle). But I assure you you will get back to normal and have a much happier, thinner life. You will be happy with your first period, when it finally returns. We are supposed to have them, it is unhealthy not to. The weight will be the hardest you ever lose, but there is a quick way. Zero Carb Diet (eat high fat, meat, cheese, heavy cream in coffee-No vegetables,fruit, juice, or bread) and take Metformin for your insulin resistance. The Metformin takes some getting used to,(you will go to the bathroom a lot for the first 2 weeks) but you only need it temporarily. After you lose the weight, and get that Depo out of your system you can eat normally again and your life will be just like before.
Hi everyone,

similar situation here. I was on the dreaded depo for 2.5 half years, i weighed 9.5 stones, and im 5.6. Everything was ok until i came off and my goodness the weight has pilled on- especially round my stomach! just under 11st now and i feel miserable :-(....i have exercised, stopped drinking alchol in the week and been cutting down on the junk but to no avail.
I have seen in some of the above posts abotu a zero carb diet? one that your doctor recommended?....i was wondering if this would help, i miss the old me, is making me miserable. Im only 24 years old and feel like a frump,. :-(
I have tried the implanon , and now the depo. I was on the implanon for 4 months and i got it removed due to have having my period for 4 months straight and got jack of it. Then i got recommended the depo. The 1st shot was great, my period disappeared, when it started to wear off my period appeared so I went and got my 2nd shot on its due date. After that i had my my period for the entire duration. (Must admit, there was no pain and it was pretty light, but was spending to much money on tampons. I should have got shares in a tampon company.) I also did lose 5-10kgs which i loved.

Anyhoo, I decided not to get my third shot to see if my period would disappear and get back on track before I decide what to do next. I have now been off the depo for a month and in the last week I have noticed my self getting fatter. I have been pregnant before, and i know the symptoms. I know I am not pregnant because if I was, it would be immaculate conception. I hope this weight gain disappears, or should I consider getting my third shot to see what happens. What are your thoughts peoples????
Yes the zero carb diet will work for you.

and
Chunk 5: your weight gain is from the residual depo provera in your body. If you get another shot, you will have more in your body. You lost weight because you didn't have much in your system yet. I didn't gain weight for months after starting because I am naturally thin, but if you realize it is a hormone that your body makes after pregnancy, then you will understand how it works. If you continue to take it you will look pregnant, have cravings, and get irritable in no time flat. BTW, it is also used in the US for male castration for perverts. It makes men NOT want sex.
Came off depo mid april this year (2010) and have many of the symptoms you are all talking about. Rapid weight gain on my tummy and boobs, sore nipples,acne,heachaches...the list goes on...horrible poison I believe it to be...
Anyway am going to follow SurfergirlLaguna's advice and have gone zero/low carb as of today - I need to fit into my clothes again very soon!!! I'll update if it works :) X
I cant believe what l have just read!  I have been on depo for 9 years. Didnt get last injection in Jan, and have gained 14 lbs since. I did a preganancy test yday as l couldnt work out why l was putting on so much so fast, and why l had sore b**bs. I am relieved its not just me.

Ive joined ww and am going to work it around a low carb diet for sure.
I was on it for 2 years and was told it risked a slight bit of weight gain. I gained 3 and a half stone because of it. When I first gained a stone, I started eating more heathily, exercising more and drinking more water, but it carried on. I never gained weight like that in my life, I've always ate whatever and not gained a thing. I especially never gained weight on my stomach, which has happened since I was on the depo. It took me from coming off it in early august to late march to lose 9 pounds after lots more exercise, only drinking water and cutting out what little snacks I ate. Still struggling and its now june. Never going on it again. By the way I'm not even twenty yet so it's not an age issue. i have actually had a decrease in my appetite. I rarely eat chocolate and even when I do I only have a couple pieces. i can't go on the pill as I have migraines in my medical history.
Oh, wow, my cousin sent me this thread cause she thought it might help.. I went off Depo sometime during the summer I believe of 2006, then in January 2007 I went to Chile for 3 months to learn Spanish, I was eating lots of homemade meals for the first time pastas and sandwiches.. anyways I also had bought a bicycle to get around.. I'd never been over 107lbs before I went to Chile I was always between 100-103lbs.. I came back in April 2007 at a staggering 117lbs and then went on to gain about 5 additional pounds after being back home.. I always thought it was the change of environment and the different foods, or that it might be that also in 2006 in September I started a fitness boot-camp I was 102lbs but had a flabby stomach and wanted to tone up.. so I kept hearing that since I had been exercising in a routine for the first time ever it gave me an increased appetite and when I went to Chile I wasn't exercising the same but my increased appetite was still there and that's why I gained 20lbs..

Anyways.. that was over three years ago, I have been trying every sort of diet imaginable since then and I can't fricken get below 112lbs it is so frustrating and I keep thinking my metobolism use to be so great I ate chinese food this one time, weighed myself after I was 105lbs (this was when i was in highschool btw) I went back on the scale the next day and had gone back to 99lbs overnight.. and that's how 'd always been.. until I came back from Chile in April 2007 and I always attributed the weight gain to my 3 months there, now I see I may have been off base all along..

I mean I had been off depo for about 4 months before I started the fitness boot camp and hadn't gained any weight and before I left for Chile in December 06 I still hadn't gained weight.. and then suddenly I gain all this weight and still can't lose it.. I'm about 118lbs I think now.. I tried eating only one meal a day would lose weight then gain it right back.. I even dropped $1100 on those HCG injections April of this year.. I lost 8lbs and well lets just say that loss is about 3lbs now.. then I started taking Zoloft in June of last year and thought maybe that was causing me to keep the weight on, but I got irritated and moody when I just recently tried to wean off.. I don't know what the hell to do next.. but anyways all of you people of depo really caused this.. then I feel your pain and hope a cure for this comes soon.. cause I refuse to be over 125 I'm very short at 4"11 and have a small frame, always have .. I'm on nutrisystem now, but am having trouble avoiding other foods, I've never had to control what I ate before, IT *****!!
Hi I was on the depo shot for 2 years and I weighed 98-102 pounds fluctuated and my last shot was Aug of 09 and i now weigh 116 pounds.
Man, am I scared to come off this Depo shot! I've gained about 15 pounds in 1 1/2 years since I started the shot & stopped nursing my daughter! I feel like my pounds are packing on due to the shot stopping my periods! I'm hoping & praying I lost the 15 pounds when this damn shot is out of my system! I'm 36 years old, so I'm no spring chicken, and I know the older you get, it's harder to drop the weight...wish me luck! And good luck to all of you girlies!! It's tough being  a female, men have it SOOOO easy!!
I was on Depo for 3 years and the last injection I had was May 2009.  I missed my August 2009 injection and gained 30 lbs by Thanksgiving.  It's now December 2010 and my total weight gain has been about 50 lbs - almost entirely in my abdomen and I experience frequent and painful abdominal bloating.  While I was on Depo I easily mananged to maintain my healthly/ideal weigth.  My lifestyle and eating habilts since stopping have not changed significantly.  I have an appt with my GYN next week and have every intention of starting the injections again in the hope of getting some balance back into my metabolism so I can lose this weight.
I am so glad that I found this blog.  I had been on Depo for 10 years and never experienced any weight gain, though I knew a few people that did.  I decided to go off Depo this past year becuase I wanted to start a family and had been told that it can take up to a year to become pregnant after going off of Depo.  So, I had my last shot in July 2010.  I did not experience weight gain right away, but in December I started feeling bloated a lot and my stomach, which has always been flat started becoming pudgy and no matter how many sit-ups I do, will not flatten and recently my breasts have been sore and tender.  I also gained about 15 pounds and my butt and thighs have gotten significantly larger.  I started exercising more and dieting, but neither seems to make a difference.  I took a pregnancy test and was not pregnant, but I couldn't attribute my symptoms to anything else.  Until I read this blog.  I agree with many of the other posters, you are warned about the weight gain while on Depo, but no one tells you about the problems you'll experience after you go off Depo.  Even with the side effects that I have experience after going off Depo, I am still glad that I was on it.  It was an effective method of birth control for many years, I never had any bleeding or spotting, cramping or mood swings.  I just wish that someone had warned me about the possible problems after you go off it.  I will try the zero carb diet like others suggested.  
Ugh. So, I was on the depo for around 3 1/2 years, and I think I gained MAYBE 5 pounds while on it. I just got off of it around a month ago, and have gained 10 pounds. All in my belly. When I was younger, no matter how fat I was, I still had a flat stomach. I look like I'm 6 months pregnant. I hate it :( When i first got on the depo, I weighed about 165. I now weigh nearly 178. I hate it so much.

I'm going to do the zero-carb diet. I need to get this weight off. You ladies know what it's like to have no self-confidence because of a few pounds. :(
How are all of you doing on the zero carb diet, and I hope the depo provera is finally getting flushed through your body.

For those that gained after stopping Depo: The Depo-Provera is still in your system. It puts your body in a false state of pregnancy, thus the weight gain and bloated abdomen. What ever you do, DO NOT GO BACK ON DEPO PROVERA! There is more weight gain the second time around, and harder to loose.
Remember: No Salt,no Sugar,no booze except for occasional red wine (3 Carbs),no fake sugar like splenda, xylotol or any other fake sugar by any name, bread,chocolate, doughnuts, pizza, bagels, carbs including vegetables (yes I said it!) mac & cheese, cakes, pancakes, cookies until you get the Depo Provera out of your body and get back to your thin weight. Eat meat, cheese, butter, eggs, heavy cream in coffee. Organic when possible! Nothing fake like tofu-cheese, coffee whitener, preservatives, or even coffee mate. It's all poison. Do a candida cleanse. You only need to do it once a year. You will be amazed at how you will feel. Your sinuses will clear up in 3 days on eating meat alone. Some spices and herbs are ok to flavor your meat, and a little onion and organic mushrooms, but not very much, that's it. Remember that some spices like paprika have a lot of carbs so be careful and look them up on line. Google is your friend. Get a green garbage bag and empty your fridge and pantry of carbs, sugar, flour, cookies, noodles,ketchup  and carby sauces, dressings, and condiments. Just throw it all in the trash and don't re buy carbs. Go buy meat, mustard, real mayo,horseradish, sour cream, real cheese (limit cheese to 3 oz a day), turkey & chicken breasts with skin, Bacon. Yes, all the things you were told about bacon and the skin on turkey being bad is wrong. Just try it. Loose weight. Become healthy like the cavemen and Eskimos that suvived on bison, whale blubber, and what ever meat they could hunt. And they ate wild, organic meats. Oh...No Margaritas unless it's your birthday. And don't eat Beef Jerky unless you made it yourself without anything but meat. If it's at a store, It's full of sugar, salt, smoke flaving and unknown gunk. Eat fresh meats. A bison or buffalo burger with organic cheddar is so delicious. Eat it with a fork. Buy high fat hamburger.
YOU DO NOT NEED CARBS, "HEALTHY" CARBS OR VEGETABLES! IT IS ALL BUNK!
I started out looking for help here. I was a fat vegetarian on depo provera. Exercise and dieting, starving myself made me gain and look/feel worse. I learned a lot. I was 198 and now down to 140 range. I feel better than I ever have in my life and am never hungry. I don't get headaches or get sick anymore since ditching the carbs. You can do it! I eat a small meat snack at noon, then eat dinner. So, basically one meal a day. I started out eating three meat meals a day.
If you need help:google dirty carnivore forum. They are a great bunch of people with great recipes to make you thin in no time. They helped me, and have lots of answers and ideas.
Lots of love, SG
I was on the depo since I was 17. Just got off this year and I'm 28 now. Didn't gain much weight while on it. Stayed pretty much the same- flucuated 5 to 10 but nothing major. I'm on the pill now so ill let you how that goes. Just starting my second pack.
I stopped depo (only had about 4 jabs) back in Oct 2010 and having always been a size 8 and weighed 8st max, I am now stuggling to stay at 9st (I'm 5ft 5) and my stomach is massive. I bought a X trainer at home and religiously spent an hour a day on it, but then I caught a virus over Xmas which stopped me in my tracks for over 10 weeks. Has anyone else trialled this meat diet? I've been warned not to go overboard on red meat as I have a heart problem and IBS, so I get really constipated when I don't have any veg. I'm so unhappy being this weight and I did take Orlistat for a bit, I lost a bit of weight, but I also ended up in hospital with a severe kidney infection due to the bowel leakage... not pleasant! Obviously I can't risk getting that sick again, but I'm getting married next year and I want to look great in my dress. Without carbs I get REALLY tired and sluggish and I can't function properly - is this really the only way?
The same thing happened to me except more drastic. I gained a total of 70 pounds (causing stretch marks everywhere) within 2 months after terminating the shot. I am very active and work out everyday. No matter what I do I cannot lose the weight. It has been one year since I was on the shot. My nipples had also darkened and so far have not turned back to "normal". I never had problems while taking it only after. I curse that shot everyday. According to most people it looks like I will never have a normal waist again.
All of this sounds too familiar. I am 27 yrs old. I was on Depo for 2.5 years (and for a boyfriend who could have cared less about me it ended up :[ )  I had the last shot April of 2010. I have been 115-118 lbs since high school, and have always been small and had a small frame. Starting December 2010 I gained almost 30 lbs in just a month or two. I worked out every single day, an hour or more. I cut my diet down to almost nothing. Nothing changes. I found out I have high cortisol levels in my blood and now I have to wait three weeks to see an endocrinologist because I have all the symptoms of Cushing's syndrome. I don't know if its really the Depo, or Cushings. But I have been off of Depo for over a year and a half now and nothing is changing. I totally understand the utter depression and loss of hope this causes.  It's hard to keep going when you can't fit in your clothes, and you buy new clothes and then can't fit into them...or you can't bend and move like you used to because of all the rolls of fat on your belly and back...really doesn't make me want to go out and be social or do much of anything  :[  Losing a little bit of hope each day. I'm sorry for all of you who have to be telling the same sad story as me on here :[
It gets better when you are off the shot for a while. You can be happy and thin again. I promise. Just stay away from Depo-Provera. One day it will be outlawed. But just tell everyone you know about the side effects that are happening.
I have taken Depo Provera for the past 11 years.  I came off of the injection in March 2010.  Since stopping Depo, I have gradually seen my weight increase.  I am 34 years old and was always around 115-118 while on Depo - since stopping 18 months ago, I have gained approx. 12 pounds.  As I am not planning to become pregnant, I am thinking about going back on the injection as I can't seem to shift this extra weight despite my best efforts.  I have always been a very active and healthy person - when I saw the weight creeping up, I increased my exercise, started a low-carb/low-calorie diet and nothing has worked.  For those of you who have been in the same situation and have decided to resume Depo Provera, has it helped in terms of losing the post-depo weight gain?  Thank you for any advice.
Its been over a year and a half since my last shot, and I still don't have a period. I gained 30lbs on my little size 2 frame and now I'm up to a size 5 and growing...
I wish I knew what would happen if I went back on the Depo too...I'm afraid to go back on it, but if it meant I could go back to my normal weight and body I probably would. I now I have the exact symptoms of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)...I'll get my test results back in a week or two...however there is no cure and pretty much no chance of ever losing weight with the disease, even with cutting out anything and everything that tastes good and excersizing your axx off....oh and the fact that I may never be able to have kids is also an addition.

(ive been on no-carbs for 3 weeks now and the Hcg diet with only 500 cal for a month before that and I haven't lost anything)

Now I'm looking into laser lipo to remove this 'inner tube' from around my middle. Its expensive, but I rather have debt and be able to go out in public and live my life then stay stuck inside embarassed about my disgusting body....
Dr Jules: If you go back to Depo-Provera, you will gain more weight. Choose a safer alternative,  like Mirena, and give up all carbs for the time being. Also research X-syndrome and Metabolic syndromes. This will help. There is a cure.

Electricat: Keep on keeping on. I gained with those HCG shots too. Stick to the zero carb and you will see changes. It takes a while. Go on Zero-Carb forums for ideas.

You both can do it! I am sending healing thoughts and imagining you both thin and happy.
Go to Fitday.com. It's free and user friendly. It will instantly tell you all your calories and carbs consumed and more. Don't be afraid of natural fat or meat. It burns fat on your body. Avoid sugar and fake fats and fake foods. Cook at home whenever possible to avoid salt and additives. Go to your fridge and pantry and through away bread, flour, cookies, ketchup, etc. and don't buy anymore. For a quick fat loss even avoid dairy if you can.
Record everything in your Fitday. If you have to eat out, the waitstaff will understand your zero-carb high protein diet. A hamburger can become an Angus patty with mustard or mayo. A chicken dinner with vegetables and potatoes become just chicken. You may have a headache for a couple days, then amazing things happen. If you accidentally consume carbs, don't worry, just start over again and in 3 days you will start loosing weight again. Join a Forum like Dirty Carnivore. They will give you ideas and tricks. The support they give is amazing. You don't have to join (It's free) and can just read the forum for ideas. Every time you start Depo again, you will gain more. When you stop again, you will gain more. Your body on Depo believes you are pregnant and is holding on to fat and water for the non-existing baby's sake. It changes your entire metabolism. There are some of you that say you loose weight on Depo. But-You will gain weight eventually, and it is you that will gain the most, and it is the hardest weight to loose, ever. Just say no to Depo-Provera. It is used for child molesters to chemically castrate them, so that they will not molest again. It takes their "mojo" away. See:                       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_castration
Thank you for your feedback - Surfergirl.  I have now signed up for fitday.com and it's a really great resource.  I appreciate the suggestion.   I completely understand your views on Depo, you have made your opinion very clear, but am still hoping to hear from someone who has resumed the shots and what the effects were.  If somebody has done this, I would appreciate hearing about your experience.  Thank you in advance!
I have been advised by my nurse to come off the depo because of my excessive weight gain. she advised me that jadelle would work better with my body so I'm hoping i will lose weight once i come off the depo, but by the sounds of things, it's gonna get worse before it gets better :(
I only took this shot one time, Before i had took it, I was at a normal weight of 120. Never had any problems with gaining weight, was able to eat anything without having to worry about it, After the shot ran its 3 month course, I gained a total of 50 lbs. I was devistated! Never before in my life have i looked worse. I can run and exercise daily and it dosent do anything for me, however i did try the hcg diet and i was able to loose about 10 pounds in one month. But as soon as i stopped the shot , the weight creeped back up on me. All i can say is i been miserable with the weight gain. I dont recommend the shot to anyone!
I have expierenced the same thing!! I took depo for 2 years. Lost 19 pounds while on depo. Stopping dating - so I stopped depo in October of 2011. I have gained 14 pounds just since the first week of October just because I stopped the depo shot. My appetite has drastically increased and the majority of the weight is in my mid section!  
:-(  
hello there,
thanks for all your help and advice, i was on depo for 11 yrs came off last Aug 2010 as i wanted to start a family, the last 1 1/2yrs have been TERRIBLE, weight gain, bloating, anxiety, breast soreness and my boobs hav gotten bigger, acne etc etc, i tried, hebal teas, sitting in a steam room, exercise, liver detoxes...finally my periods are back to a normal cycle BUT does this mean that the depo is finally out of my system coz ive noticed i still havent lost the bloatness and sore, massive boobs, i would go to my doctor but they all say its in my head so in other words there idiots with no idea!!! i hope this question isnt too confusing for you, i only ask u as u have experinced it...thanks for you time
Dear all,

I wanted to share my experience.  I too had gained a lot of weight after coming off of depo provera 2 years ago and went from 115 to around 130 within one year (despite the fact that I eat very healthy and workout on a daily basis).  Nothing was working, even a low-carb diet - I just kept putting on weight and I was miserable.  As I am not planning on having children, I have resumed my depo injections.  Within the first 5 days, I started losing the gained weight.  I have now just had my second injection and am down to my normal weight again - 118 pounds.  Going back on depo worked - I lost all of the weight I had gained after stopping.  I know that this is not an option for everyone, but it certainly worked for me.  

Hope that is helpful.
I have been on depo for 13 years. I am 13 lbs. heavier since starting and I think most of the weight gain occurred early on. I am 43 and do not plan on having children. The post-depo weight gain stories are unbelievable!!! I am due for my injection Monday and I was seriously thinking of stopping but I can't afford the extra weight gain. I am 5'4 and am most comfortable at 115 which I haven't seen in awhile.
My advice is to just keep having the injections.  Although I have had friends who have had horrible side-effects with Depo, I never felt any.  In fact, I lost weight on Depo where I know most people gain weight after starting the injection. Plus, when I was off of the injection, I started getting very irregular periods - some lasting 2 weeks - and so that was another incentive to go back on.  Not only did my periods stop again (which is great) I lost the 15 excess pounds within a few weeks. Thank goodness.  I was starting to get quite depressed about my body and the depo definitely helped me get back to where I was pre-stopping the shot.  Good luck!
When I was 17 I started Depo and stayed on it for 2 years. I had no issues back then. Well jump ahead to 28 and I decided to go back on it. After 6 months I noticed slight weight gain and some bloating so I decided to stop. That was Oct. 2011 and now it is March 2012 and I have gained 15 pounds and I have constant bloating and uncomfortableness in my stomach. This is every day and has affected my life to the point where I am extremely depressed about it. I have had so many tests done and have even visited a gastroenterologist about my stomach weight gain to rule anything out. Well I am positive now that it is due to Depo. In January I started the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and was religious about it. I actually gained weight do to muscle but was so disappointed! I should have had a six pack and instead my stomach looked like I was 4 months pregnant. My boobs are so extremely tender all the time too. I've always had a wonderful metabolism and have always been active. I am 5'4" and since highschool my weight has always been a constant 110-115. Now I weight 130! All because of Depo. I hate hate hate this birth control. I have only gotten my period once and it lasted a few hours. I am so frustrated with my body and nothing I do works. Can't wait to get this out of my system. Has anyone else had the extreme bloating and uncomfortable stomach? I have about 4 rolls when I sit down and can't seem to tighten up the excess skin. Even after I drink water this happens. Hurts to suck my stomach in which is what I constantly have to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I got 3 injections of depo. I never went back to get my shot in December, for many reasons. I lost weight with the first injection n then I gained 5-10 lbs with the next one. I decided to continue with depo and work out more to manage the weight (the shot seemed to be a very good birth control option for me)  then I gained about 15-20 more. After I stopped the shot I still gained around 10 more pounds. The extra weight makes me feel terrible and along with it, I'm still suffering from other lasting effects 4 months later and no period.
So my last shot was september 2011, I did not go back for my December shot. I was on it for about a year and a half. After not getting my shot, I have gained about 15 pounds and have tried everything. I've always been fit. I am also having random cramps and my breasts are still tender. I've had about 6 periods in the last 2 months. I'm wondering if me starting my period means that the Depo is leaving my system. I am interested in that no carb diet, though. By chance, does anyone know roughly how long the Depo will remain in the fat tissue? Reading this blog made me feel a lot better. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Update: Its now been over 2 years since I've been off the shot and I still can't lose a pound. I've done all the non-carb diets there are and it didn't do a damn thing. and I'm not kidding...i've been NO CARB for almost a year now. I see a personal trainer 3 days a week for an hour, and then I do an hour of cardio the other 4 days of the week  (been doing this religiously for 3 months now) and I still cannot lose an ounce of weight.
I haven't worn a pair of jeans in about 3 months because jeans do not fit me anymore...its all yoga and pajama pants for me now. I haven't been on a date in over a year...and I just don't have any desire to put my nasty body out there anymore. I don't know if I'll ever have the confidence to find someone and fall in love ever again. Hell I lost my job and had to move back in with my parents because all the doctor visits cleaned out my bank accounts...and what came from that? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. After spending a year of going to doctor after doctor and no one listening to me and all of them telling me nothing is wrong I've given up on modern medicine.

Now I've resorted to seeing plastic surgeons to see how much it is to get my huge love handles and thunder thighs sucked out because absolutely no amount of diet or activity is changing the damage this drug caused to my body.
Hi Julesinlondon,

I was on depo for about 3 years then went off then on again...my last shot was about 2 years ago, 1st year wasnt too bad started to get my period back every sort of 2 weeks but about 3 months ago my period stopped completly and I have also gained about 4 kilos since then, doctor told me its normal and I should wait another 3 months and if still nothing then they will put me on the pill ( I was on the pill briefly before and it was terrible!! weight gain, massive breasts, felt like a walking balloon all the time) I really want to go back on depo too as the same as you I had no side effects and actually lost weight and could eat anything I wanted. My weight is really putting me down, I exercise about 5 days a week and its not getting any better so I started throwing up after meals just to keep my weight from getting any worse. Really depressed about it as nothing fits any more. Not planning to have children either. What I wanted to ask you is do you think if I go back on the depo will it effect me in a same way again? And I will lose the weight? When I started the depo the first time I was about 23, now 31. Thanks for any advice
I was on the depo shot over 7 years, I was supposed to have a shot in late June. I just turned 50 and decided I should quit. It took over 4 months to have a period, and it is a good one. Hoping it will end soon. I have bloated up 20 lbs. After a month I gain15 lbs. in one week, I freaked out and started researching. I believe it is because I finally got off the depo shot, and have been reading similar horror stories. I will keep off, and try the zero-to low carb diet. I hope for the best. My husband said he had a friend and it did the same thing, and it took over a year to get normal again.I can only hope, it is nice hearing I am not the only one that has this problem. I used to be a small size 4 and I hope I can get back there again.

Tired of being fat.
I just went though all of your post. Your suggestion is my last hope. Sincke 2010 I have been trying to lose the weight i have gained. 50 lbs in total. I was 120 and now up to 170.  I have tried worked out to the point i fractured my ankles, becuase i over did it. I have tired vitamins, striving myself, veg. diet etc.

But i am going to try the zero carb diet. I am just wondering while doing this, was your calories at 1000 per day? and were you working out? If so how much and how often?

Thanks...hopefully2010
I was 37 y/o and 128lbs when I took my first depo. All together I received four shots before quitting due to a 20lb wt gain. I am now 43 and have gained another 20+lbs,  I have been small my entire life by eating low carb and walking a little.   I have tried fasting for days at a time, pure protein only, one small ( lettuce only) salad a day (for two weeks),and numerous diet pills including adipex.  I have managed to lose minute amts of wt. only to gain it back with an additional cpl of lbs. I retain fluid, swell horribly, and have massive all over body fat with my belly so rotund that I look pregnant all the time. Dr. can't find anything wrong.  My biggest complaint is the overwhelming profound fatigue I experience daily.  The fatigue has ruined my life and keeps me miserable it is so disabling.  I am a Registered Nurse and any and every opportunity I get to warn women of this poison I do so. Also, I am so SICK and TIRED of people implying that Im lazy, undisciplined, and must be cheating on my diets.  I would love to force everyone who tries to suggest the right way for me to lose wt. to have to sit and read this very forum. Sorry for the rant, but finding this site makes me feel as if I can vent my outrage and it will be understood. We have a sisterhood of sorts lol.