Women's Choice Community
Still irregular?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Women's Choices including abortion, adoption, parenting, problems with a pregnancy, woman's health or life, and fetal anomaly.

Still irregular?!

Hi there! I'm 15 years old, healthy, active and gay (so no intercourse or sexual activities whatsoever so far). For about 3 years now, I've had a very irregular period. Since the beginning of my periods actually. The space between them canrange from about 54 days to almost 4 months and when they come, they are usually accompanied with a deep brown colour (old blood?). It also has a foul, fishy odor. As stated before, I am not sexually active and have no health issues besides enthesitis-related arthritis and anxiety. Could this be from my anxiety? It's definitely not from my arthritis medication, because I have been this way even before I was diagnosed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Even thought you mentioned that you are gay you might want to try and get on to some type of birth control your Dr will be able to give you one just for you. There are some where you don't get periods and then you can take others that will make you have a regular period. If you are worried about gaining weight, if you stay active it won't happen.
It's fairly normal for people to have really irregular periods for the first couple of years.  I think mine took at least 2 years to settle, and I had 5 month breaks at first.  The brown color is most likely old blood, because blood exposed to air literally rusts after a while.  If you smell really fishy all the time, it could be bacterial vaginosis.  If it's just fishy on your period, it might just be from the blood being around for a while without coming out.

You should go see an ob/gyn if you're fishy all the time, and it might be good to get on birth control if your periods continue to be irregular and/or heavy.  Birth control can also help if you get really bad cramps (which sometimes don't appear until you've had your period for several years).