Women's Choice Community
abortion

This forum is for questions and support regarding Women's Choices including abortion, adoption, parenting, problems with a pregnancy, woman's health or life, and fetal anomaly.

abortion

I got an abortion on june 19th I was 8 weeks pregnant I went to the the hospital this past saturday they did a blood and urine test that both came out positive an ultrasound was aslo done ans I was told that they didnt know if it was pieces of the aborted baby they were seeing or if it was the start of a new pregnant I got discharged and was told to follow up monday I end up goin back to the er where they test the pregnancy hormones in my blood they were lower from the saturday i came in I end up gettin admitted in the hospital and still here now so they did blood work this morning and I was told that the hormonr levels in my blood are starting to raise again Im confused and scared because the hospital isnt really tellin me anything so could I be pregnant again seeing that I never gotten a period after the abortion or if there is still remains of the aborted baby in me could that stop me from having my period can you please answer my question
If your hCG level is rising, it suggests either a new pregnancy, or some placental tissue that is retained in your uterus that is somehow continuing to grow.  It will not be pieces of the aborted baby that cause the reading.  The placenta, in early pregnancy, is what gives you an hCG reading.  It can stay attached to the uterine lining with blood flowing in and out, and not entirely come away with a D&E.  If so, theoretically it could continue to grow for a while before it detaches.  Are the numbers rising slowly or quickly?  An indication of a new pregnancy would be hCG levels that double in 48 hours.  This would be (presumably) a faster rate of rise than if it was just some placental tissue left behind.

Did you have sex since the abortion, and if so, was it unprotected?  You definitely can get pregnant again that quickly, even if you did not have a period.  You don't need to have a period, you just need to ovulate.