Women's Choice Community
pregnant and cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding Women's Choices including abortion, adoption, parenting, problems with a pregnancy, woman's health or life, and fetal anomaly.

pregnant and cancer

I am 23 weeks pregnant but this is about my friend. She found out Friday she is pregnant. She recently had a lot of cancer removed from her throat. She has an appointment coming up to tell her if she will need radiation. Has anyone ever been through this? Her gp has said that there are options. She did not fall pregnant on purpose but she has desperately wanted kids for so long, and she knows she may have to have an abortion. Any way I can help her through this? Just any info would be good.
All you can do is be strong for her and be there for her. She needs friendly faces around her. No matter what the outcome is its not her fault and she will need all the support she can get.
But do you also know of anyone whos been through radiation and been pregnant?? What are her chances of not having to have an abortion? They don't have kids yet and after radiation she may not be able to have kids...
bump
My mom was telling about a girl who the.drs found breast cancer while she was pregnant. She had treatments. Not sure what kind all while she was preg, and she had a healthy baby. A few years later she got preg again and they found cancer in the other breast. She had to do treatments again. She has two healthy children so there is hope your friend and her baby will be fine. Just pray and encourage her to stay positive and be there for her. I will keep her in mt prayers.
I have an aunt that went through something similar...when she was pregnant with my cousin, she found out she had melanoma cancer on her back. Her doctor told her she needed to abort the baby and focus on treatments. She refused, and saw another doctor who helped with treatments while pregnant. She got rid of the cancer and gave birth to my cousin! Today, my cousin is 18 years old and perfectly healthy! And technology has changed a lot since then! Hopefully your friend has just as good of doctors...so sorry she is going through this, I wish her the best! Cancer has hit my family hard in the past recent months, I know how hard it can be.
BEST NEWS!!! Because they got so much of the caner during the surgery, the radiation doctor has said they can wait until after she gives birth. She will have to be away from bubz for 5 days whilst she is radioactive, but YAY!! He actually reccomended she keep the baby (as radiation can make you infertile) SO YAY!! I went shopping for her yesterday and i will go buy some more stuff on the weekend for her.
That's wonderful news for your friend.