Bicornuate uterus
I am 6 weeks pregnant and just found out I have a bicornuate uterus. This has been confirmed by 2 different physicians after 2 different ultrasounds, one being a level 2 ultrasound. What they didn't tell me is how severe the split of my uterus is. Is there anyway to diagnose whether the split is partial or complete via ultrasound, maybe 3D? Will my chances of having a live birth be lowered if it is a complete split? What I find particularly odd is that I was pregnant before and had several ultrasounds where nobody noticed this. I had to terminate that pregnancy at 14 weeks due to multiple anomilies (omphalocele, neural tube defects, others). I was told that the baby had no chance of survival. How could they miss the fact that my uterus is bicornuate? One last question: does it matter where the fetus plants itself in a bicornuate uterus? Mine is in the right horn, but they did not say how far up.   I have done tons of reading on this subject but have not found answers to these questions.  Thank you so much for you help. I just really want to know what to expect!
I feel like I am reading my own story. I too found out I have a bicornuate uterus when I first got pregnant back in March. I've had multiple ultrasounds previously but it was never noticed. As far as my doctor tells me, it is hard to detect and some women won't know until a doctor is performing surgery or a c-section for a breech baby. I too lost a baby at 19 weeks that had an severe giant omphalocele ( this is so bizarre that both of us have both unrelated things - and that one has no bearing on the other). I am again pregnant (like you) but am 14 weeks along with the baby  up in the right horn. My doctor is considering me high risk but also says that many women with a bicornuate uterus deliver happy healthy babies, we just have a higher rate of early delivery and/or the need for a c-section due to the baby being breech. As far as where the baby is implanted, as long as it is not on the septum, things are generally good (it wouldn't get enough nutrients to support growth). And as far as carrying, only time can tell how big your "half" of a uterus where the baby is will stretch before it says, time to have this baby. I'm still in shock to  be reading your post. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go and how your doctor handles your situation. But we do have good chances of carrying healthy babies.

Shelley
Thank you for your post.  I am not alone!  How very odd that we have had such a similar experience.  I was also told during the last pregnancy that it was a giant and severe omphalocele.  That is a 1 in 10,000 occurance.  Since nobody knows what causes omphaloceles and bicornuate uteri are often unreported or unnoticed, maybe it is more likely that women with uterine abnormalities have babies with this birth defect.  Possibly it could happen due to lack of blood supply (on the septum like you mentioned) or maybe we produce a few more bad eggs than those without uterine abnormalities.  I did read somewhere that those with uterine abnormalities are more likely to have babies with birth defects.  Maybe someday we will have all the  answers!  More studies will need to be done.  Until then, please let me know how it goes for you and I will do the same.  I have an appointment with a new doc on the Monday after next and I will post any new info I get.  Best of luck to you!
Hey i'ts disheartening to find out you have a bicornate uterus. Mine was detected quite a few years ago after 2 micariages. Ihad a test called hysterosalphingogram or hsg for short. they run a radiopaque dye into your reproductive system. When I was pregnant with my son, i lost him at 19 weeks. Don't know why, there's was nothing wrong with him. any way i went to the complications clinic at UAB and they told my he was implanted midline, not in a horn. they said that was good. but i still lost. I'ts been very hard to deal with this. i alos have ahd a hard time getting pregnant. ususally taking at least one year to concieve, however this time i haveonly had 2 periods since my last miscarriage in aug. now I'm 5 weeks and praying that God will bring this child forth in spite of my uterus. I'm sorry you having to deal with this. most stories you read on the internet are not good. i stopped reading them. like shelley said though, there are many many women who go on to have healthy babies. HOpe
Hi Hope - I'm still praying for you that this pregnancy is the one you've been praying for!!! I meant to post earlier at how much I appreciate you sharing your losses and experiences with everyone. You are so open about it and it does help everyone else. And your faith is unstoppable. I just needed to say that.

So I wish everyone with a bicornuate uterus the best of luck. Let's keep each other posted and keep the words on encouragement going. I know that I need it...

Thanks!
Shelley
I just wanted to encourage you my dear friend has a bicornuate uterus.  She had several miscarriages, two healthy babies, another two miscarriages and she just delivered another beautiful healthy baby girl a few weeks ago! My thoughts are with you guys! Kellie =)
just a quckie - how are "bicornuate uteri" and "double uteri" similar? are they the same thing?
Oh Thank-You Kellie - that is encouraging!!
Shelley
Sometimes the 2 are confused.  A bicornuate uterus can be heart shaped or almost a complet split, but the bottom part of the uterus is together.  When you say "double" uterus, you might be referring to uterus didelphys. That is when there are 2 separate uteri and sometimes to separate cervix.  In most of the cases, a septus separates the vagina into 2 parts.  I guess this one is pretty easy to diagnose if the septum in the vagina is present.  If you want more info here's a good site:  http://www.dyspareunia.org/html/uterine_abnormality.htm

Hope this helps!

Eboni L.
Hey sweetie thanks for your sweet post. After everything that's happened to me, if I can help somebody at least some good came out of it.. know what i mean?? i got a good feeling about this one. Ihave bben realy nauseated.. but I'm not complaining!!! anyway, I'll keep you  informed on myself and you do the same!! Hope
Hi to all you lovely ladies out there with heart shaped uterus'
I too have a bicornuate uterus and I am 6 months pregnant with my second child.  My first born was a footling breech by emergency caesarian after my waters breaking at 34 weeks.  I am anxiously awaiting the position of this little one as I would like to try VBAC?? Unfortunately my town is very small and a breech birth is not possible.  This is just a short note to let you all know Good Luck to us and our Babies, healthy is all we ask.
I just have a story to tell....I too have a bicornuate uterus which I didn't find out I had until my baby was 6 months old.  I have since found out that I have worst case scenario in that I have 2 cervixes, 2 vaginas and a total split uterus.  Although I did carry full term and had c section birth (elective) my baby has had severe dislocation of his left side of his body and head.  Has anyone else experienced any problems with their babies being dislocated or worse.  I would like to hear about it.
I had a miscarriage last year and found out through an ultrasound that I also have a bicornuate uterus. I was told by my doctor that plenty of women also have this problem and go on to deliever healthy full term babes.  I found out last week that I was 5 weeks pregnant (absolutely excited,yet very cautious and scared).  Well this morning I started bleeding and know that the pregnancy is doomed.  We had no problem conceiving, but I have a big problem retaining the pregnancies. It is at about 5-6 weeks where I will start to miscarry, probably due to the fact that the embryo does not attach itself to a viable area in the uterus.  My question is, how many more times do we try before we give up?  My heart breaks into a million pieces each time this has happened.  Is there anyone out there that has had a successful pregnancy after a few miscarriages?  Please write back to someone who is so hopeful yet so sad.  Thank you.
Bless your heart.  My friend has had the same situation as you with her bicornuate uterus.  She miscarries between 6-9 weeks.  BUT she HAS had three babies go to term and had annoying bleeding and spotting with all of them.  So, she did have viable pregnancies and 4 miscarriages.  I wish you the best and know that you are not alone.  Kellie
I am glad that I find women who have been going through the same like I have.  I too have a bicornuate uterus which is not fully split, just at the top and have had 5 miscarriages.  I have 1 child, an 11 year old and I'm not once again pregnant.  I have since changed doctors and am being treated by high risk specialists and get monitored every other week.  Right now I'm 9 weeks pregnant, the baby's heart beat is beating strong and I'm optomistic that this is the other child that I've been longing for.  Although from time to time I do have spotting but the doctors ensured me that it's the other horn thinking that it too is pregnant.  I will continue to pray for each and every one of you out there with the same problem with the hope that each and every one of you has a healthy child.
It has been so nice to read all of your emails.  I too have a "heart shaped uterus" and have been completely stressed out about it.  I am 26 weeks today and my little baby has chosen the right horn as well.  I couldn't believe it when I read your emails stating the same thing.  I am so nervous that I am going to have this baby WAY too early.  I would curious to hear what your doctors have told you.  My doctor has remained calm, he doesn't seem too worried about my condition.  It sounds like that we won't know until later (32 weeks) because that is when the baby would be too big for the right side.  Is that what you guys have been told?
So glad I found this site. I am 19 weeks pregnant after being told I would not conceive due to polycystic ovaries and bicornulate uterus. At 6 wks pregnant and totally unaware that I was, I recieved a nasty beating by my now ex partner, I dare say I am very lucky to be 19 wks pregnant!!  My problem is that no-one has explained bicornuate uterus to me. All I have been told is not to worry as nothing can be done about it? I can except this but would really like to know a little of what to expect what possible complications I may encounter and what to look for and take note of! Can anyone help please?
I have just found out that I have a bicornuate uterus and I am about 6 weeks pregnant.I found out during an internal ultrasound scan because last year, I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks.What is so weird is that it has not been diagnosed before. When I was 17 I had scans to check for endemetrosis.

I have a beautiful three year old daughter who was born naturally 2 days before her due date after a 3hour 45 minute labour using only gas and air. I had a problem free pregnancy and she was head down from 32 weeks.

This time, I keep repeating to myself "I am building a strong healthy baby who wil be born in late August/early September"

Good luck to you all who are also bulding strong healthy babies.
I too had a hystersalpingogram back in Nov. following the termination of my first pregnancy (after trying for 1 1/2 years)It was ectopic
I found out I had a bicornuate uterus and my doc told me not to worry and to just keep trying.  What I want to know is if there are any positions or anything that help someone with a bicornuate uterus to conceive.  
L.
At last I have found somewhere where other ladies have this condition!  I was diagnosed 2 weeks ago, initially with PCOS (Polycustic overies) which just confirmed what I thought,  but then my doc also said the I had a 'split' in there and I was heart shapped.  HE did not tell me what the condition was called or much about it - and I was too shocked to ask!  He has referred me to a specialist but I am awaiting for an appointment.

Me and my partner are desperate for a baby - we have been trying since last xmas and niavly thought it would happen pretty quickly!  

My biggest fear is to never be able to have a child.  I have always been very maternal and known that I wanted children from a very young age.  Now I've finally met the right man and am ready for a family, I find that I may not ever have one!

It's very scary because it's all inside.

Anway, I shall mark this page and hopefully share experiences with you all.

I envy all of you who are carrying special packages ;) but really I do wish all of you the very very best.

Take Care

Nyk x
Hello, everyone.  I too have a bicornuate uterus and am 36 weeks pregnant.  I also have two cervixes.  My baby is in the frank breech position, so I will most likely have a scheduled C-section.  But, what I really wanted to share with you is that a lot of times when women have bicornuate uterus they also have KIDNEY anomolies.  I found out that I only have my right kidney!  Which of course, you can live with only one kidney, but it sure is important to know if you only have one.  If something happens to my kidney(God forbid), I would have to have a donor transplant and/or live on dialysis for the rest of my (I'm sure short) life!  So find out ladies...it's important.  Good luck to all of you!