Caffine & ovulation
I am 36 yrs old and been TTC for 1 1/2yrs. I was told to see an infertility specialist by my obgyn but my insurance does not cover it or any testing. I am trying to do everything in my power to up my odds of conception. I quit coffee about 2 months ago. My last two cycles I have had extreme pain during what I assume is ovulation. The pain starts about two days after I notice clear thick discharge and the pain lasts about a day. I start feeling it on one side but before the day is through I can't even side without pain. Can it be that all the caffine was preveting me from ovualting? I have a history of ovarian cysts when I was much younger (14) and family members that have had endometriosis. Is this pain clearly ovulation or something I need to see the gyno about? Any help?
Hi!
If the pain is coming mid cycle then yes it can be ovulation pain. You can buy an ovulation prediction kit. This can help you time the pain and see if it is due to ovulation or not. The pain can also be due to endometriosis and PCOD. Both these conditions can make it difficult for you to conceive. If you cannot see an infertility specialist, see how best your gynecologist can manage this for you.
Take care!
It's unlikely caffeine is preventing you from actually ovulating, but what it can do is slightly dehydrate you, which can cause issues with conception.

Around the time of ovulation, our bodies produce a thick, egg white like mucus.  This mucus is very sperm friendly, and is needed to assist the sperm to get to the egg.  Things like caffeine and alcohol can dehyrate you, resulting in not as much of this fertile mucus.

In addition to cutting down the caffeine, and things like alcohol if you drink it, increase your water intake.  And as the Dr. mentioned, use an ovulation predictor kit.  They worked very well for me.