EPIDURAL OR NOT?
I am 13weeks and after started weighing my choices for having no epidural I want  to hear if anyone has ever had a true natural child birth with no pain meds and if they think it is a good idea for first child or what the general thought is for having pain meds during labor?
I say try to avoid it, but I'm a tree-hugging, hippie mama to be!  Seriously, I really want to be able to experience the whole thing the way it was meant to be.  DH and I are going to use a doula b/c apparently this greatly reduces the chance that you will have an epidural.  I have friends that have done both.  I know this is going to sound biased, but the women I've know that have gone the natural route seemed to have the most positive experience. I think it's b/c they feel mor ein control of the situation.  I think the important thing is that you remain open to all possiblities b/c there's really no telling how things are going to go.  If you are having a hospital birth with an OB (not a midwife or doula) then you can probably count on having an epidural.  It's practically routine. You still have some time to do some research so hopefully you will figure out what you think will be most comfortable to you.
I say if the pain is bad or the labor is long and tiring.....Get the epideral!!!! I did with my first son and it made me so happy and relaxed. My family said I was more enjoyable to be around, LOL. I was taken off the epideral right before I had to push. I felt everything from that point on, the pain is worth it after you see your baby. Don't be scared and you still have plenty of time to figure out whats best for you and your body. Take Care and keep us posted.....I just found out I'm pregnant again today, I am still early, I think I should be 3 weeks 6 days. Well, hugs to you!!!
Hope you have a happy and healthy baby!!!
I've had 3 children without pain medication. I 2nd the idea of getting a doula. Without that extra support, I think I would have given in and gotten the epidural.

For me, natural childbirth was worth the extra effort.
I was in labor for 27 hours with my first baby and I could not have made it without an epidural.  I discovered that I have a really low tolerance for pain and natural child birth was not the way for me.  If I could tolerate the pain I would have liked to have done it naturally because I now have back problems from time to time in the same spot where I got the epidural.  I'd say keep and open mind and do what's right for you.
I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I've already told the doc the minute I walk in the door they better hook me up to the epidural and keep it coming.  Not that I have a low threshold for pain, it's just that we have the technology to make the experience as painless as possible, so why not use it.  You're going to remember and enjoy the experience of childbirth regardless of pain meds, so why not be as comfortable as you can while doing so.  That's just my 2 cents on it.
Each to his own but I'm definitely pro-epidural. I did 12 hours of laboring without any meds but then the pain became intolerable to the point where I just couldn't take it. For me the epidural took me from a state of sheer agony to a comfortable place where I felt WAY more in control of the labor and delivery than I did when I was in excruciating pain.
Hi there I had a no pain med first child birth June 2005. I thought I was havivg some cramps my husband finally made me go to the hospital it was a good thing because I was 9.5 cm we got to the hospital at 5:30am I had my son at 6:52 am Sure it hurt but it wasn't as bad as everyone told me. But the choice is all yours. Good luck.
Of course it depends on how much support you have for thenatural process.  If a nurse comes into your room every 15-30 minutes asking you if you want and epidural because, "You don't have to be a martyr>"  Well it's almost impossible to achieve the most empowering event of your life--natural childbirth.  I'm a homebirth midwife and women choose to use my services because they don't want to be tempted by the "candy store."  Natural birth is so doable, so finite, and with the best reward ever--I love it when my clients say they don't think they can do it at the end of the labor and then glow with excitement after the baby is out and tell me it wasn't so bad after all.  A little like the rollercoaster thing.  You're not sure you'll make it at first and then once down the hill you realize it wasn't so bad after all.  I, of course, would highly recommend natural childbirth which will avoid the problems that are created by an epidural like increased risk of fetal distress, increased risk of c-section, and difficulty for the baby to nurse afterwards.
I'm also pro-epidural. It's like any other part of medicine in which we can control the pain. How people decide childbirth w/out pain relief is all part of the 'experience', but would not tell the dentist that during a root canal,or a surgeon that during any other procedure is beyond me. I don't believe it brings you any closer to the experience either- perhaps the opposite. When my sister finally got her epidural she went from crying,sweating, and pacing to being able to listen to the nurses to what's going on, looking at and holding her husband, and even remembering the 'starry,blue, night sky'. It was amazing. Plus she wasn't totally exhausted afterward. I'm glad as women we have a choice and that for every choice, you've got support!
those people here who have never giving birth befor dont count your chickens befor they hatch most people say no natural for me then they actually experience contractions then they have an epidural why put your body through unesesary pain beleive me some of you will probly change your mind i say go the epidural for sure once i had my last epi i relaxed totally and dialated 6 in 3 hours that was my first also i did not find an epidural to hurt at all i just asked for the lowest does possible i could still walk and go pee pee it was good all though i new when i was fully dialated the pressure is immense i will be opted for one for my upcoming birth in june aswell ohwell good luck to all you ladies out there.
My sister had 2 babies naturally.  Her labour only lasted 3 hours in length (3 hours being the longest) so she didn't really have time for an epidural.  My SIL had 2 babies. One with an epidural but they gave it to her too late and the baby was a bit drugged (that was for a 32 hour labour) and with her second she went natural for an 8hour labour.
I truly belive that until you get there and experiece the pain that you can't choose between having an epidural or not. Unless you know that you can't handle pain at all, don't make the decision right away. You have plenty of time to think about it and how you want to have your baby. If you're a first time Mom, don't rule it out. I went in for an induction on a Thursday night. Had an epidural early Friday. By Saturday night they told me not to "push the button to keep the meds coming" so that the labor would go quicker. I have to admitt, the pain got worse but my girl came quicker. And the pain was well worth it. When you deliver, if your Dr gives you the chance, reach down and feel your baby coming out. Not only will it blow your mind cause you can feel your child, it'll make you realize that even if the pain is horrible, that you're almost throught it. When you see your baby, the pain doesn't even matter anymore, all that matters is that little person in your arms.
I've had 3 children each with epidurals. I can't imagine going without one. My daughters labor, which was my first baby was pretty easy and the contractions weren't hard, until they broke my water!! Then I needed the epidural. My 2nd I woke up in the middle of the night and was already 5cm when I got the the hospital and it started with MAJOR MAJOR pain contractions lasting 60sec 2 min apart! They gave me the epi as soon as I got in my room. with my 3rd I was induced and just wanted it as soon as they would give it to me. Every women has different contractions, and some can tolerate pain. It's going to be up to you and you're going to have to decided if you can handle the contractions. The epidural made everything so much more comfy for m and in all three times, after I got the epidural my labor went very quick after that so some ppl says it slows labor down but from what i've experienced and also other ppl don't be surprised if you do get it if it goes fast. And I thought it would hurt, I felt nothing but pressure. the epidural didn't hurt at all!! Good luck to you!
I was at three cm for two weeks and finally ended up in hard labor at the hospital. Despite the strong, close together contractions I was having, I was making no progress. I eventually asked for an epidural, and it had relaxed my muscles enough that within 56 minutes of it being administered, I had become fully dilated and pushed my baby boy out. I remember every little detail of my experience, and I couldn't have asked for a more positive one. Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that women are taught that epidurals are bad and that your labor and delivery somehow don't count as much as they would if you went all natural. My dr told me later that I probably would have had a c section if I didn't have that epidural to help relax my muscles. To each their own, but it's really kind of stupid that some people push their way of things and their views on others. Do whatever feels right to you at the time, Hun! Good luck :)