Five week ultrasound - no fetus - is this normal?
Hi, this is my first time on this forum. I am 6 weeks pregnant and last week I had an ultrasound (vaginal). My doctor just wanted to make sure all was well since I had some minor brown spotting before I knew I was pregant (thought A/F was on the way). The tech was able to see a gest. sac but no fetus, she said it was too early. Now my dr. has seen my results and wants me to get another ultrasound done ASAP. What does this mean, is is normal not see a fetus at 5 weeks (it done at 5 weeks and 1 day). This is my first pregnancy and I'm worried. Thanks!
The same thing happened to me. I think I am 5 weeks along...but am not exactly sure. I had missed my period last month and thought I was pregnant, but many test showed that I was not. I finally retested 2 weeks ago and got a positive result. I then had a blood test to confirm everything. My Dr. wanted me to do an early ultrasound to confirm my due date; however, she only found the ges. sac and the yolk sac...but not fetas. I have another ultrasound scheduled for next week. It is tough waiting!
i just want to say you are just nice ladies very loving. thanks for your info. im new here. i had u/s at 5w 2 days and didnt see but the sac and it scared me but now im reading comments im relieved. thx girls.
I am vina. I had spotting last saturday (03/01/09) and  I had my ultrasound yesterday (03/02/09). The doctor found a gestational sac, but no embryonic or fetal pole. She also said that the gest. sac is elliptical in shape, not a normal circular shape. Is this normal? The sac measured 5 weeks and 1 day. They told me to come back for another ultrasound schedule after 2 weeks. That would be on March 16.
I am really worried. THis would be my first pregnancy.
Please give some insights abou this.
Thanks.

P.S. I hope that after 2 weeks  there would be a sign of progress.
i am 8weeks preg and had done an u/s last day. the doctor didnt find any h/b or fetus inside. my last period was on jan 06, im so worried. this is my first pregnancy. i longed to have a baby but the result got me depressed. the doctor advised me to have a second u/s after 2nd week. please help me pray to have a normal pregnancy. so worried...please help.
i am 5 weeks preg and had done an u/s (vaginal)  last day. the doctor didnt find anything inside. my last period was on Feb 01, im so worried. i had 2 miscarriage before. i had a daughter about 14 months now.    i longed to have a baby but the result got me depressed. the doctor advised me to have a second u/s next week. some already can see a sac by now. thinking of miscarriage again make me nausea. is this normal? someone please!
i am about 4/5 weeks pregnant and on friday i went to get an u/s and they saw a sac but no yolk or anything. they are mentioning ectopic pregnancy but saying it could also just be too early. i am very worried. can someone help ?
hi all!!! i am sailing in the same boat as most of you. really worried. i had my LMP on march 14th. no spotting since then slight cramps of and on. Had an u/s done on 23rd may and the doc says it seems to be around 6weeks sac but cld nt see anything else. had my hcg levels checked 23rd may and came at 24830. the doc say.s it should double by today. Have done my BT awaiting the reports. can anyone tell me if I would be having a normal pregnancy. its my first and i feel I have waited all my life to hold my sweet little baby in my arms. plz help!!!!!!!!
I'm extremely worried! I found out I was pregnant on 07/30 through a home test. My 1st HGCs were measured on 07/31 at 1103.3 and 4 days later on 08/04 at 4139.9! The nurse said that was GREAT! :) Basically I'm doubling every 50 hours, which is within the normal 48-72 hour range!
My 1st U/S is tomorrow afternoon (as well as my 3rd HCG blood test)... I'm freaking out a little!
In 2001, I miscarried @ 4 weeks... in 02/2009 I miscarried again... on 05/05/2009 I had laparoscopy surgery due to a twin unilateral ectopic pregnancy (twins implanted on my right tube & right ovary).
I feel very pregnant... nausea, vomiting, sore breasts, constipation & gas, moody, etc.... I'm just soooo worried that I'm getting excited for nothing!
UPDATE: Had my 1st ultrasound today! They are able to see a cyst, which is currently believed to be the Corpus luteum cyst! YAY! :) That being said, they did NOT find anything else... yet. I am only 5 weeks pregnant, at most, so even the ultrasound technician was confused as to why they would have me in so quickly.
The doctor (and his student doctor) did a physical examination, to rule out any physical abnormalities in my uterus, and cervix. He said that everything appears normal for this stage of pregnancy, but due to my miscarriages & previous twin ectopic pregnancy, they want to be extra cautious... which I can appreciate.
I've been put off work for 1 week... with another ultrasound 6-7 days from today!
*fingers crossed*
UPDATE #2:

Went back to the ER Friday @ 5am, after several hours of continuous cramping and sharp pains to my lower abdomen... turns out the "cyst" was in fact an ectopic pregnancy & my right tube had ruptured...
I had a salpingectomy to remove my right tube...
I now have to sit home for 3-6 weeks to recover...
My partner & I have decided to use Depo Provera for the next year or so, to allow my body to heal completely,  before we attempt at another pregnancy.
Wish us luck!
Accordin to my LMP I should be about 8 weeks pregnant. But according to the size on my sono Im about 5 weeks and 2 days. I had a transvaginal sono monday night cuz of severe crampin and lower back pain that I had for a month. I found out I was pregnant this past friday. The tech was able to see a sac but no yolk or fetus inside, not even a flutter of a beat. My HCG is over 3400. I need to know if maybe my pregnancy may be earlier than estimated. Any one have a clue??
I am in the same situation.  Went for an u/s on Friday 8/28 and thought I was seven weeks.  The u/s showed a yolk sac but no baby or heartbeat.  The tech said the sac was measuring 5 1/2 weeks.  I don't know how I miscalculated.  Dr. said the sac looked good and that I had a nice thick lining.  I have had two miscarriages this last year, so naturally I am a nervous wreck!  I have to go back in two weeks 9/11.  I pray that I get to see that little flicker of movement!!
wel i had my last p 9/18/09 i was blein so i went to the er in had in u/s did 2 day in they said it was to early .my qunat levels was 33.But i cal another dr in they said i was 8 weeks what hell is going on.iam goin to wat unstl 10/27 to see whats what.cause on the u/s they did not see nuthing @all
Hi..I am 7 weeks pregnant, based from my calculation.I had to PT kit and both positive.Plus I am regular and now missed my period almost two weeks now. I consulted a doctor 2 days ago and hav a normal ultrasound. I told her that sometimes a feel a pain I think in my uterus for a while, the same pain I feel before I have a menstruation. After the U/S dr. said she cant see anything and Ask me to do a lab test and vaginal U/S. Im quite scared as I had miscarriage 2 years ago.Now I have brown spots.Please Advice me...I dont want to lose this baby..
Im a seventeen almost eighteen year old female... who might be pregnant with my first child.. my mate and i have been planning this for awhile now and we ttc last month so last month wen my period didnt show up we were so happy b/c my period is regular u cud set a clock by it... so we waited and waited and no blood showed up but then i got sick throwing up and having diareaha and everything ( i think it was a 24 hr flu) and the following day i went to the bathroom and their was blood in my panties... i was scared b/c i thought i was miscarrying but a visit to the doctors proved i wasnt having a miscarriage but according to my hcg levels i wasnt pregnant either... they said it was less than one so im confused b/c i feel pregnant and like i know deep in my heart im preggo cus my prd is nevr late.. so y wud it b late the month we try getting preggo?? other than the three days i bled this bright red blood  this month my last period was on November 18 2009 which wud make me six weeks preggo now.... idk wht to do... do i try testing again to see if anything changed? i need help plz someone comfort me and tell me some good news... can something b wrong with me?? or cud i jus have low hcg levels?? im soooo confused
I am a seventeen year old girl, I am approximatly 10 weeks pregnant. I had schedualed an ultrasound to see my baby. When I went The doctors had a very hard time in locating the baby. At first they did not believe I was pregnant, They gave me a pregnancy test wich proved positive. The next step was a concern that it was eptopic(The baby being in your tube) They ran another set of ultrasound pictures at a differant hospital and did not find any problems. I later talked to another doctor who told me that The baby had not developed properly , Therefore the sac is still in place but The baby was not present. It is unfortunate to find out this specific information but it is a 20% chance in each woman that the baby does not develope properly or other problems. The doctor usually will discuss to you that u can either wait for the miscarrage or take a pill call masaprasotal (sorry about the spelling).. which allows the miscarrage to happen sooner by sofening the uterus. You may also go to get a DNC. I hope thisinformation was helpful and remember that it is not always this way, sometimes woman miscalculate the last day of the menstrual cycle .... Dont loose hope.
Hi to all ,
this site really helped me and i must say i'm feeling a little better.... i started bledding on Monday then it stopped the same day ...the next day it was a brown spot and the next day the same brown spot occured ....by thursday it cleared up ...when i went to do an transvaginal u/s they said that i was 5 weeks and all they can see is the gestational sac and the yolk... my doc said that this is normal and that is to early to determine anything ...repeat u/s in 2-3 weeks ... i am so nervous of what might be the outcome .......and the waiting is driving me insane ....i hope all goes well ...
hi my name is Jackie and im 5 weeks...
i went in for my first ultrasound today and saw nothing but a sac..
doc says its a perfect size sac but im scared to death cause we saw no fetus... he says it might be too early so i have another appointment next week... this is my second pregnancy i had a m/c my first pregnancy at 12 weeks... im crossing my fingers to see something next week... pray for me :)
Yes this is Totally NORMAL i had the same thing at 5 week and now i am 25 week +2 and my baby is healthy and jumping around as i type
Hi Im 6 weeks preg went and had my first ultraqsound on sat which I was 5 weeks 4 days they saw 2 sacs no fetus. I am worried I go back tues 9/14 and Im scared does this mean two babies. Is it to early
My wife swears by her cycles.  We have been together for 10 yrs.  Every single time she says she is to start her period, she is usually starts at least 3 to 4 days later and she bases it upon 28 day cycle.  She swears her LMP was on July 13, 2010 and of course when I made the comment to the Doctor about her being latter than normal my wife pretty much dismissed me and as well the doctor did too.  So much for input, I guess..  

The only two times we actually had intercourse after her menstrual cycle was on 27th of July, 2010, she took a pregnancy test on July 30th but it came back negative. We again had intercourse on Aug, 4 2010. According to her, and her 28 day cycle.. her period would have started on Aug 9. 2010 which it didn't.  Aug 13th she tested positive for being pregnant. She basically couldn't even cap the test before it read PREGNANT.. We were of course overjoyed.

We went in for a U/S ultrasound on Sept 7th. 2010 and Doctor said she saw a gestational sac but nothing else forming and called it a chemical pregnancy.  They did take blood and the next day she got her results and they were 81,130. The doctor immediately talked about a D/C though. Not even scheduling another blood workup.  We requested another blood workup which was about 48 hours later but the numbers were only a couple thousand higher than before. They didn't double at this time but did rise. She again pushed for a D/C.

They say she is six weeks along at the time the test were done and they should be seeing something by this time, of course it seems to be all based on her LMP.  I'm of course the skeptical one and never always believe everything a doctor says because they're human and make mistakes.

My question is, if we conceived sometime between the 27th of July 2010 and say August 6th because that's the only time we were together,  wouldn't this throw off the U/S on Sept 7th and only show the gestational sac at this time because it would only be like 4.5 weeks along fetal development?

We have another U/S 9-14-2010, my wife has pretty much given up and is down in the dumps, it's our first try but if conception occurred later in ovulation isn't there a good possibility it was just too early to see anything on the U/S or am I just holding onto false hope?

She isn't showing signs of miscarriage, no cramping, no spotting or bleeding... The only thing she is, is more tired than I have ever seen her and morning sickness without vomiting is daily. sore breasts and well a bit moody but I would be a fool to not understand why she would be.. :-)

I'm stressed because the Doc keeps pushing a D/C and it just seems with conception happening only in the time frame mentioned above, the Doc hasn't said to us there could be a possibility that there is slow fetal development or LMP was wrong throwing off dating.. we never got the measurement of the gestational sac.. we were sort of herded in an out as quickly as possible.. Leaving so many questions unanswered and making us crazy..

Any thought's to if she isn't showing signs of a miscarriage why would the doctor push so much for a D/C if it could be this early in the stages of pregnancy? Of course I'm hopeful that when we go back in, in two days we see something forming.. but of course prepared not to as well.  I have read others who didn't see fetal development until much later on too.. How long should one wait to see if a baby will form and when is a time to call it quits?

Thanks for letting me vent... any answers or thoughts would greatly be a help in understanding this a bit better for a first time dad to be..
I conceived after sex on 23rd August (call it a bad year, but this is the only time this year I have slept with anyone so I know for definite!)...  We used no protection, and it was bang on the right date for conceiving (as I realised later).  Anyway, I had negative tests right up to my 'period'.  My period was late (never happens), I had no pre menstrual cramping (usually have a band of ache around my back the day before), it was lighter than normal, lasted 2-3 days instead of the normal 4-5 and was varying colours.  I basically, with the negative tests, assumed I hadn't conceived.

However, since then I have been sleeping a lot, talking 8-12 hours a night plus naps mid afternoon where possible.  I had tender breasts over this weekend.  And I am freezing cold (I've read some women get very cold, others very hot).  And Thursday of last week I almost passed out on my way home from work so I decided to do a test Friday morning, and it was positive, did a second and that was positive so went straight to the doctors.  She told me that I must have miscarried on the 12th and my hormones weren't back to normal.  She booked me in for a scan this morning.

Over the weekend I took two Clear Blue Digital tests that said I was 2-3 weeks (which when looking at sex, ovulation, time it takes to implant it is right)...

However, when I got the scan this morning, they couldn't find anything.  But I have since read that 2-3 weeks is too early???  Is that right?

Anyway, they took some blood and rushed the results and they called me earlier to say I have high HCG levels and to come back Wednesday morning.  BUT they are treating it as a failed or failing pregnancy because I bled and they can't see anything.

Is there any hope at all or should I start dealing with the fact that I have lost a baby?
ok i had a period sept.4th & ended on the 9th and slept with the other guy on the 10th of sept. and my husband on the 17th of sept so i went to the doctor on oct.11,2010 and they did a u/s and all they saw was a sac no fetus so can it be to early and be my husbands or they others.please help me
hi ,,can someone please help me ?? i'm 5 weeks 2 days pregnant..i have light pink spoting when i wipe on the tissue i went to the drs and they did an u/s on me twice ((VAgINAl)) the dr scared me to death because they couldnt find an embryo pleaase someone give me some advice what do do what to think? i have 3 kids never ever did anything come ou of my private part other than the white stuff that comes out ..
hi sandy, 5wks2days is a bit too early to guarantee we can see anything on u/s. how are u doing now? any follow up u/s?

i just had my u/s thinking i was 8wks 2 days based on my last period being dec 12, 2010. my periods are usually quite irregular.. every month to few months apart. i had 2 positive urine pregnancy tests. the u/s report done at 8wks 2 days says "?wrong dates vs missed abortion". my breasts still hurt. i suspected the report would say something like that. i'm a doctor myself. i think i'm just going to wait til my body lets me know what's going on (either some cramping or bleeding if i it really was a missed abortion), or i will go and get a repeat ultrasound 3wks from now.. whichever comes first.

anyone else out there with irregular periods?
i m 4 weeks pregnant and wanting for an abortion. I underwent an ultrasound but the doctor just found a small dot and said it could b ectopic and has asked me to come a week later.I just want to know wud ther b any changes and will it b able to aborted
OMG this made me feel so much better i have been an emotional wreck bc i had ultrasound done on 8-23 to determine how far i was bc i had just missed my period i wasn't far enough along they could barely see anything well i went on 7-13 and we saw the sac but had to do an internal ultrasound and were about to see something in there but not sure they said that i was about 5 weeks but they told me some other things that got me all worked up i go the 21st for a better ultrasound and im really hoping i see something other then what i saw on the 23 & 15th i know this post is from 2006 but i wanted to say it made me feel a little better.
I found out I'm pregnant this past Friday. Went to the e.r cause I was bleeding heavy and had clots. The Dr did an ultrasound and didn't find anything . She said it may b too early. But my hcg was 19000, she said I could b pregnant with twins cause my hcg is too high for one baby and I may only b 3-6 weeks pregnant. I'm scared......this is my first pregnancy
hi i need help my lmp was on 12th till now i have not got my periods tried hpt came faint positive went to dr for ultrasound was told no gestational sac seen can any one advise what are my chances of conceiving. i havent checked by hcg but with 2 faint reports and no symptoms i am a bit confused and tensed.
I went to er today because of spotting after taking two pregnancy test that came out positive, my beta hcg is 677 however the could not see anything in  ultrasound, whats going on and they want me to come back in 48 to 72 hrs to do another beta test... I pray I didnt miscarry some onr help me!!!
I had spotting when I was 4.5 weeks and it showed nothing, not even a sac. I was told I had most likely lost the baby. When the retested my HGC levels they were still rising. I had a second ultrasound at 6.5 weeks and there was my baby with a beating heart.
Spotting can be a scary thing, however I think we only hear the worst stories. I amnow 20 weeks and everything is going great. My baby is healthy.
I am to worried about no baby. Lmp was sept 21 so tec. I should be 8 weeks. Went to dr yesterday for first apt and did ultra sound and she didnt get to good of pic but tried to measure and got 6 weeks. Sent me to a more reliable machine and they found a sac but no pole yet and measured me at 5 weeks 5 days. I'm worried cuz I just delivered a still born at 17 weeks in June , should I have waited to get pregnant again or is it really to early to see any thing. Did do a hcg test yesterday and doing one tomorrow, I'm crossing my fingers that they have doubled in numbers.
I had my first u/s at 5 weeks and only sack and yolk showed, I was told to prepare to miscarry and rescheduled for another scan 10 days later to see if I need an d&c just had the scan and everything is there, they have put me at 6 weeks and I could see the heartbeat so 5 weeks must be a little early x
Went to today and had u/s done at 5w5d and only saw yolk sac no heartbeat. Go back on the 29th. Just a lil worried is this all normal
Went to the ER on yesterday due to heavy bleeding(no blood clots). Didn't have any pregnancy symptoms other than missed period.(lmp 11/7/11) The ER doctor says nothing was found on ultrasound. Wants me to get repeat labs on tomorrow. I am so nervous!
I'm 38 days from last prd I took 4test all - should I wait to take another test I c my doc on the 6th of Jan and I need a piece of mind should this b normal never late on my prd and as u knw a lot of ppl worrie i been emotional and boobs r sore nipples r darkin then normal and pinching pains on the left lower side and my ribs hurt time to time is this normal?
Hi I had my ultrasound   at 4 w and 6 day nd saw nothing yet my pregy test still negative. But I'm delayed almost 1week is it possible I did it early ?my menstruation cycle is always 28 days..
I just had a ultrasound at 5weeks 5 days amd my ob said this is normal. I am scheduled for another one next week so no worries!!!
did everything go okay for Nads03 because i am going through the same thing
Hi I am five weeks preagnunt did an ultersound because of pain my belly my doc said they did not see anything but a black spot what must I do what to think
i read your post and i thought i was 9 weeks went for my u/s and it said 5 wks and all we say was a gs ... how is yours working out.... i just need some hope
Hi I had my first vaginal ultrasound yesterday at 5.1 weeks, doctor saw nothing but a sac, he schedule me in two weeks, and requested tons on blood test (9 tubes of blood) and really scared, my husband and I have been trying for over two years and we are really excited, this is my second pregnancy I'm just praying to God, everything will be ok, dont know if he saw the yolk sac, he just said... hmmm I only see the sac. I am schedule for another ultrasound on May 1st.
Hi im new to this im 23 yrs old this would be myfirst child. I went into er because afta intercourse i had terrible abdominal pains they gave me an us vaginal and on stomach i was 5 weeks 3 days they saw a sack but no baby. Im worried but i havent had any spotting. Is this normal??
This is sara.i.am 25 and its mg first baby.i went for an ultrasound and it revealed 5weeks with no embryo no fetal pole and illdeveloped gastational sac.i had very scanty spotting too yestaerday.is it a miscarriage?? Plz helpp
I had a scan yesterday and all they could see was the sac but they want me back in for another scan in a weeks time. Is there anychance there is just no bsby there or is it too early too see anything?
Hi I took a pregantcy test it was positive.twice.so l went to a center and they told me I was 5 weeks.from ma last period.so she schedule me and ultrasound for the next week.I went.so we where doin the ultrasound there is nothing buterus a dark spot..so we did it vaginaly still nothing.so she said it might be a miscarriage or its outside my uterus.but I have no pain or bleeding..so people say it jut to early..need advice..Help
My sister is in hospital she found out on sat she was pregnant but had a spot of bleeding she had ultrasound but nothing could be seen. her hormone levels read that she should be bout 7 weeks.dr did an internal  and couldn't see nothing in tubes either.they are doing another hormone levels today but have told my sister to prepare for the worst is it possible they just got dates mixed up and she less than 7 weeks thanx
i am 5 weeks pregnant, i have cramps, and bleeding like if i had my period, had an ultra sound yesterday one normal and they did an ultra sound another ultrasound inside my viginal, but they did not find nothing, no yolk or sack,. i had a positive prey, test in my house , they did a blood test and another urin test in the dr office and both came positive , is that normal, for 5 weeks preg?