Toddler with red blister rash around anal area
Hi, My two year has a red blister rash around his anal area. The dr. has tried to treat for a yeast infection and bacterial infection. So far nothing. My son is scared to pooh because he knows we'll have to change him so the poor little guy tries to clench his cheeks together to try to stop it. It doesn't work and he's just filled with anxiety and cries all the time. I'm at my wits end because I can't help him. Any one else experience this?
The Girlfriends' Guides recommend two things that I have found useful:  take a bottle of regular Maalox, and open it and dab a cotton ball into the stuff that has risen to the top (in other words, you don't shake it up first) and dab that onto the area.  It neutralizes the acid on the butt the same way it neutralizes acids in the stomach.  The second is something they say the Boston Children's Hospital mixes up, and I have mixed it up and used it to good effect:  1/2 Aquaphor and 1/2 Maalox (this time shaken up).  Put it in a bowl and mix with a mixer, then put it into a jar to use as a butt cream.  The acid-neutralizing effect of the Maalox is added to the water-beading protective effect of the Aqualox, and it works quite well.  Good luck!
1twinmom - when he says he's upset because you'll have to change him,  are you using commercial diaper wipes?

That really stings,  if that's what you're using.  

Paper towels with warm water or even seating him in a sink with warm water would be better.

Best wishes.  This sounds like the yeast infections my boys got in the diaper area after intestinal infections or a round of antibiotics.  We just treated them with monostat from the women's health section of the grocery store.

Best wishes - this is no fun!
Thanks to both of you. I do use comrcial wipes but theyare alcohol free hoping that would help. He did have major antibiotics after Christmas for pneumonia. We'll see. I just want him not to be scared anymore.
hi hope this helps it helped my lil guy i put regular oatmeal in a nylon tie it in a knot and then run a bath it helps with the rash, it will dry it up its the same as using  aveeno but cost a lot less my ped told me about it and have used it with all three of my children,i have also used a lil cornstarch after the bath as well i hope this will bring some comfort to your lil one
anti bs can cause nappy rash ,was he loose too? i had this with my son ,we used timodine cream  THE BEST STUFF IN THE WORLD ! i only used it 4 days and it was bad, his bum bled it was so sore . hope you can get it ! x x
thanks, I never thought of that
Great advice above, I would also recommend using a very soft cloth in warm water for cleaning.  I always found wipes harsh.  
My son had a similar problem last year and we tried switching from wipes, etc.  I finally took him to the Dr and he had  peri-anal strep. Yes, you can have anal strep.  They culture it the same way as strep, but it had just traveled through the body and ended up there.  Please call your Dr and take in your son to be checked for sure.  Once we had the prescription, he was better in a matter of a day or two.
Another thing that is worth knowing is that salt water hurts raw skin much less than just water.  That's because the body is naturally salty, so regular water can sting like acid when the skin is raw.
is your son better? How's the potty training now?
I have a 3 1/2 yr old with the same condition but worse in that it looks ulcerative and bleeds. He is traumatized by it and won't use the potty. I am at my wits end! What to do?
I have made up a paste of baking soda and water and apply that to his bum but he has endless losse stools and eveery time he goes-- it gets worse! Any ideas?