bone infection
Hello my name is Sharon and I have 2 children,the problem is with my 14 year old son .It has been found yhat he has an infection in his hip bone,Cancer has been ruled out.He has had 2 courses of antibiotics and has not cleared up.at present he is on a 6 week course of them Fucidin and Geriflox the specialist has said if it does not clear up they might have to investigate inside.Can you please tell me the medical name for this infection and what do you think can cause an infection in the bone? How can an infection get into the bone itself.Thanking you in advance
Sharon Dublin Ireland.
I'm afraid their aren't any doctors who answer questions on this forum.  The general medical name for an infection or inflammatory process of the bone is osteomyelitis.  Here is one site with some information:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000437.htm

The infection can be started by a many things-a puncture wound, for example that drives infection deep into the tissues is one way.  Sometimes the cause is never known.

Good luck to you.  I wish I could give you a better answer.  Do a search under "Osteomyelitis" and you will find a wealth of information.
Thank you for your reply, it was just the medical word i needed and i am going to look that up now thanks for all your help
Sharon Dublin Ireland