experianced breastfeeders...help!
I had my little man 8 days ago and I've been breastfeeding and pumping since he is in the NICU. My right boob is producing about 70 ml each time i pump, and little man latches on and feeds from that side like a pro ...but I'm lucky if i get 30 ml from my left side and even that takes forever to get. He will latch on to that side, succk twice, an just sit the and stare at me until i switch sides. I don't understand why its not producing like my right...any ideas on how to increase supply in one boob? Lol i think that nipple may be inverted too which could be why he won't latch on, but id still like to pump if possible
Perhaps you have some clogged milk ducts in your left breast. You can place a warm towel on top of your left breast to help loosen the clog. You can also do gentle massages and to use the breast pump to help stimulate more milk. Good luck and congrats!
I've heard mothers milk tea help produce milk
Try pumping more on that boob to increase supply. Tmi warning: I have a double nipple on my left boob (it should have been two but became one) so it is extra large and my son had a hard time with it. Once he starts getting the supply he needs and gets used to the feeding on that side it should be flawless. If you are still at the hospital ask to talk to a lactation consultant and see what advice she has. If not they have breastfeeding hotlines to help you out. Good luck! =)
Thank you ladies! I'm hoping that once he gets used to breastfeeding in general that itll be easier for him. He's still on the feeding tube part time which is why he is still in the NICU. Once he gets the hang of it then he can come home, so I'm trying everything right now to help. He's only been breastfeeding two days and is doing great on my right side so hopefully soon he will pick up the left :)
I always had better production on my right then my left. I've also heard from many nursing moms that they have the same issue. What I would do is pump my "bad" side first, then my "good" side, and then my "bad" side again.
I actually tried that today and got a bit more out of it!