mthfr gene mutation and child growth
When I became pregnant with my son i was told that i had the mthfr mutaion. My first doctor put me on a elevated folic acid suplement and told me that was all I needed to do. When i switched providers the doc told me that there was no need for me to take the perscription any longer and if i was concerned to take a baby asprin once daily. Well everything with the pregnancy and birth went fine and we had a healthy baby boy. His birth weight was average at 6lbs 15 ozs and legnth 18 in so a pretty normal size. Well now he is 15 mos old and at age 4 mos began to have seizures and was diagnosed witth epilepsy. At his last "well baby" check his weight was a shockingly low 17 lbs 7 ozs. His growth is very slow and we are scheduled to go to a endocrinoligist soon to address the issue. But back to the quiestion at hand. I was wondering if anyone knew of any issues with groth in children whose mother has this mutation.
from what I understand, MTHFR would have nothing to do with growth later in life.  The gene mutuation can cause blood clotting and cardiovascular issues in the person with the mutation, that is why they often suggest baby aspirin during pregnancy and why a good RE would test mom's homocysteine levels not just MTHFR.  I have the homozygous MTHFR mutation but have never been told that we had any concerns about the baby's growth after the fact.  And we did see a genetic counselor, so I would like to believe it would have been mentioned.

I think they are unrelated.  Good luck figuring out what the issue is though, as it sounds like there is something going on.

Thanks for the reply. Possibly you could answer another quiestion. My original doc had put me on a script for the gene disorder and I contacted him earlier today and he stated that there is a possibility that stopping the medication could have stunted his growth. I am from a very small town and it seems as the doctors are not all that great
the doctor had you on a medicine while you were pregnant for the MTHFR?  I would think that would have been Folgard or something similar which is extra folic acid, vit B6 and B12.  The reason for it with MTHFR is your body often times doesn't use the folic acid properly so giving extra (more than in your prenatal vit) is found to be helpful.  From what I understand though, the folic acid is for spinal cord growth in utero and lack of it can lead to things like spina bifida.  If your son doesn't have spinal issues I wouldn't think it has anything to do with your gene mutation.  But I'm not a doctor, these are things you should mention to the endocrynologist.  I'm not sure what else to tell you on this but good luck!
That is extremely weird that u and I both have the gene and a son with seizures..my son is 6 months old but started seizures around 3 months old...he has not been diagnosed with epilepsy yet..they thought at first changed their mind and think maybe yes again..we are getting genetic testing done and I am going to tell them to test for that.