wellbutrin XL and pregnancy
What affects do WellButrin XL have when trying to conceive and during pregnancy?
I am 40 and have not tried to conceive at this point; however, I am planning on trying next year and am very concerned.
I was on Wellbutrin for years and loved it! I went off of it when we decided to start trying .(I was  38...) Anyway, I had a miscarriage and the depression had been getting bad so last week I asked about going back on it. My Doc. said there iss just not enough studies to show the long term effects. It is classified as safe but it is not for sure and a ris Im not taking especially since I am 39 and that carries its own set of risks. The bottom line is I wouldnt if you are TTC especially since you are already at a higher risk due to age... Good luck
I was on Celexa and went off because of my pregnancy. I was having really bad depression at the beginning but my doctor said the same thing about there not being enough conclusive data on long term effects. I stayed off of any meds but will start back the day the babies are born!
Is there an antidepressant that has been studied and proven safe during pregnancy? My SIL is TTC and has been on zoloft for a few years. Doc says it's ok but all my internet research states that it hasn't been thoroughly studied. Thanks in advance for any advice
I am on Wellbutrine XL 300mg/day now and we are TTCing. My dr said it is 'safe' but like pp said, there is not enough research. No problems have come up in relation to it? Sometimes the benefits of taking it outweighs the bad stuff? They have not said anything about taking me off of it...so i guess its ok?
Good Luck to you...and everyone else!!!!
Your research is correct that enough studies have not been done to list antidepressants as completely safe. They are all more "compare pros vs cons" with respect to pregnancy. My dr prescribed wellbutrin for me after my first trimester, during which he said he wouldn't have given me anything. He also said it was better I was breastfeeding baby because any dependency the infant is born with (they can be fussy from sudden withdrawal) can be slightly alleviated from the medication in the breastmilk. Of course all this is his medical OPINION and he can not tell me that nothing will happen whatsoever or that it is safe. I decided for myself that I needed it enough to function and my baby would benefit from me being healthy in mind and body. She's almost 4 months now and even though I reduced my Rx to half the original dose a few weeks after delivery we have had no complications and she's very healthy.
i have taken a prozac during 3 pregnancies and delivered 3 healthy babies. I changed to wellbutrin and proceded to have three miscarriages back to back all before the 8th week. I have quit wellbutrin and am back on prozac and have just hit my 10th week of pregnancy. I have done some research and a lot of people have made comments similar to mine and some studies back it up. i will say I have 4 children and had no problems with any of the pregnancies except for when I was taking wellbutrin. I also breastfed all of my children to the age of 18 mos while on prozac and they are all healthy children ranging from 13 years of age to 2 years of age.
I am on Wellbutrin XL 300mg and I am 28 weeks pregnant.  (Knock on wood) everything has been fine so far.  Both my shrink and OB said XL is the safe one.  The other Wellbutrins were the ones that had not been tested enough.
I was on wellbutrin AND the pill and I got pregnant with my first child!  So I don't think it affects getting pregnant!  :)  I did stop taking it once I found out I was preggers...  best of luck!
didn't see this was from 2006!  I need to read that part too! :)
I too was on Prozac and Wellbutrin, when I became pregnant the sec. time my doc told me to go off the wellbutrin and stay on the Prozac during the pregnancy.  Unfortutely I ened up having a miscarriage at 17 weeks along.  I am now trying to conceive again, 5months later, and went off the wellbutrin about a month ago.  I hope and pray this next pregnancy will go better...take care becky