16 Days Late

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

16 Days Late

Hello Ladies,

My period is now 16 days late.  My last intimate encounter was 10 September 2006 which was 39 days ago.  I have taken numerous HPTs and 4 blood tests all of which were negative.  My last blood test was taken on 16 October 2006.  The test was negative.  What is the possibilty of being pregnant without enough HCG being produced to detect a pregnancy?

Thank you
I would suggest getting in touch with your doctor, it is a possibility, but a blood test should def show by now
you might just be stressing you never know it might not even be pregnancy.
your are probably not pregnant.  With is being that long since your last sexual encounter, a blood test is accurate now.
yes, you just had a negative blood test a few days ago so you are not pregnant. there is another reason (cysts, fibroids)for example why you are not getting your period. have you been late before or is this a first?
Please stick with the appointment. Womens bodies vary ... some women literally NEVER show positive on urine or blood tests whereas others show immediately on both. It is certainly not unheard of to not show positive for 2, 3, 4+ months, so no matter what, please keep the appointment.
As far as the timing, if you are 16 days late and had sex 39 days ago, the odds are that you are not pregnant if your cycle was normal and you were on course to be due for your period 16 days ago. You usually ovulate 12-16 days before your period is due. If you are 16 days late and your last encounter was 39 days ago, this would put your encounter 23 days before your period was due, which severely negates the likelihood of pregnancy (however, this does not guarantee that you aren't pregnant because you may have ovulated early, sperm can live for several days in you, etc.). I would definitely keep the dr appointment. Keep us updated on how it goes. Good luck!
I have never been this late before.  I made the mistake of starting birth control before my period was due instead of starting the Sunday after my period started.  I was under the impression that my period would start on it's expected day.  It didn't.  Saturday is the last day of ACTIVE pills in my pack.  Should I expect my period while taking the sugar pills?

Nichole
Thank you, Ladies.

I have an appointment with an OB/GYN on 9 November 2006.  Hopefully, all will go well.

Nichole
Just wondering have you just come off the pill?

I started the pill on October 1, 2006.
If you just started the pill, it is very likely that it is causing any symptoms you may have, which are leading you to question if you are pregnant. This also can cause a delay in starting your af. My body was really messed up the first several months that I was on the pill. Good luck. Let us know if/when you have an updates. Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!