18 weeks, weird shooting pains and fainting spells?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Im 18 weeks pregnant and ive been experiencing some really sharp, shooting/stabbing pains in my, well im not exactly sure where, but down around my private area...this also happened to me one day a week or so ago...im wondering what this could be? just growing pains? even if its so low? or could it be the baby kicking? (im still waiting to really feel baby kick...i *think* ive felt some movement, but not quite sure yet)

also today i was at lowe's buying some paint (just one gallon) and while i was waiting in line i started to not feel so good..i thought maybe it was because the paint was too heavy? so i put it down, then a minute or so later someone opened a new register and i went over there..as she was ringing me up, i felt..i guess the best way to describe it is light headed...like i was going to faint or maybe even throw up...and i all of a sudden couldnt hear A THING...i felt like i had gone deaf...after she gave me my change i rushed to the bathroom, thinking if i just sat down for a minute or splashed some water on my face id feel better...i did feel *some*better...i got my hearing back at least! and i felt like i could walk out to my car okai...but when i got home and carried the paint into the house...i started to feel the same way...like if i didnt hurry up and sit down, i might faint...i dont *think* it was due to low blood sugar (i had just eaten an hour or so ago and usually when i have low blood sugar i jsut get nauseas)
my next prenatal appt isnt till nov 6th...should i call the doc on monday? is what ive been describing normal? Thanks in advance
Avatar n tn
sorrie, ran out of room...my BP has been around 112/73 the last 2 visits(my only 2 really) i also posted this in the maternal~child forum but i know some of you dont really post over there and i wanted to get as many opinions as i could
thank you!
Avatar n tn
I think fainting is normal..since i fainted before when i was about 4 months pregnant, but the shooting pains...that might be a concern. the best way i dealt with fainting ( a nurse showed me this technique) is to get your head between your legs. either sit down or anyother way so that blood may rush back into your head this will stop the fainting. but make sure your head is somehwat upside down. either way i would see a doctor ASAP just in case.
I will keep you in my thoughts since i am too experiencing sharp shootong pains and i am only about a month pregnant.
warmly, dechen
The shooting pains are normal; I've heard pregnant friends comment on them.  My guess is that they are related to the ligament stretching that happens with pregnancy.  The faintness probably has to do with changes in blood volume during pregnancy (we get a lot more) and its effects on our blood pressure.  Lightheadedness and dizziness can also come from progesterone.
Avatar n tn
thanks! i was hoping thats what the pains were...but when i googled it and came up with mostly women who are 38+ weeks experiencing it due to baby's head on cervix, i panicked
Avatar n tn
I get that way especially after bringing the groceries in the house :) I'm now 32wks & it's gotten better, during the 2trim was when I had the most fainting spells, I've sat in the middle of Walmarts store (in the floor) many times :) ALso got those sharp pains, they've eased up too!! Good Luck!!! My mom & grandma blacked out during their pg's many times, I've never went all the way out just seen everyone thru tunnel vision :)
Avatar n tn
gift you poor thing i just imagine you sitting in that mess and people pushing their carts right into you!
Avatar n tn
Wow the subway would be scary!!! GLad u got help :)

Sailor- I know at walmart I finally got smart(up front those benches r always full) so if I get to feeling funny I go to the shoe dept. so i can sit & not be ran over :) LOL
Avatar n tn
Hi also fainted in the NYC subway and some woman picked me up and sat me down. It was scarry and i was always worried what would happen if no one found me. hang in there it should hopefully pass.
Dechen
Avatar n tn
I remember being in the grocery store about 8 months along. so, I was pushin 215 about then. I was so tired and back so sore I sat down in the ile on the bottom shelf. It broke and I couldn't get up. I had to get on all fours (in a dress) to attempt to get up off the floor. lol aaahhhh (sigh) good times........... I also remember getting stuck in a booth at the local taco bell. lol
Avatar n tn
hi everyone..thanks so much for helping me figure this out...the stupid navy base's pregnancy hotline finally got back to me...htey said the pains were round ligament pains, but if it persisted or got worse to come in or call the OB...since the fainting spell was a one time thing..hasnt ever happened before...the said just to be careful when getting up, etc and to keep an eye on it...if it starts to happen more often give a call...

thanks again!!
Avatar n tn
U poor thing on all fours!! I was in Goddy's the other day & seen some cool boots well I decided to sit down thinking that would help me get the boots on (knee boots) well u can imagine a pg tum & me trying to hunch over & pull & pull & pull & not getting anywhere w/em, (I was about out of breath)I couldn't get em on at all which was probably a good thing or I'd been in worse trouble trying to get em off :) LOL (they needed a zipper) :)
Avatar n tn
That one is cracking me up! I took my daughter the other day to buy some boot's, which in itself is bad enough. We were fighting all day. She wanted hills I said no. Normal shopping for us. Anyway she wanted a pair that looked like combat boot's. A million laces!!! then to top it off it had a buckle made of iron over the top. it took me for-ever to get the things undone. giving my daughter down the road the whole time. she just sat there looking at me. that made me even madder! I handed  her the boot and she look's up and......unzipps the sipper on the side!!!!!!!!!!! ALL THAT TROUBLE FOR NUTHIN!!!!!!!!!! I grabbed the boo'ts and  put them up!!!

They were a JC Penny's if you want to go take a look and try 'em on. lol
Avatar n tn
I know this is an old post but I'm replying because I've been going through the same thing and found this while googling, so it might help someone else that comes across it.  The fainting is probably due to low iron, at least thats why it happens to me.  Happened to me today waiting in line at Walmart, wasn't sure if I was going to make it without fainting!  Had to sit down right away till I got my compusure back.  Took my iron pill as soon as I could and was fine the rest of the day.  Sometimes I forget to take it and I suffer for it.  And as for the pains, i'm also getting those and from all the information I could gather its from round ligaments stretching.
pb95, and KTowne commented on renae176's status
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Vikki2 is ...Joyful and Content Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals