2-3 weeks pregnant with bleeding and cramping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I found out on Wed by a home pregnancy test that I am pregnant. Went in the next day for a blood test and got the results early Friday morning confirming I am pregnant. Well, Friday night at around 11:30pm I went to use the bathroom and noticed I'm bleeding. I had been cramping but I honestly thought nothing of it until I saw I was bleeding! I went to the er that night and they did a blood test and checked my cervix. My hcg level that night was at 10. Then I was only slightly bleeding and it was reddish brownish. Well, Sunday I woke up and noticed I am bleeding more. This time It is bright red. It still isn't as heavy as it would be if I was on my period. I'm only having to change a pad 1 maybe 2 times a day! Well, Sunday at around 4pm I went back into the ER because I was worried. They checked my cervix again and took another blood test. My hcg level had only went up to a 13. But, It also wasn't a full 48 hours since I had the last blood test! Because my hcg level is rising it does show that the pregnancy is progressing.. But, I'm extremely worried about the bleeding and cramping!

I've had a few woman tell me that you can have your period in your first trimester and still carry a normal pregnancy to term. Is this true? Can you have your period and still have a normal pregnancy? Has this happened to anyone? This is my 2nd pregnancy but during my first pregnancy nothing like this has ever happened to me? I know I should try to stop worrying about this. I go in tomorrow for another blood test and if my hcg level is rising like it should I may get an ultrasound!
You should take it easy, no strenuous activity and nothing in the vagina. Many women have bleeding and cramping in the first trimester. The thing to remember is that the pregnancy will either progress normally or you may miscarry but there is nothing the doctors can do to change the course of what is going to happen. Doctors cannot stop an early miscarrige nor would they want to because early miscarriages often happen for a reason like their is a problem with the pregnancy. The concern at this point is for the mother, making sure she is not loosing to much blood like soaking 1 pad every 1-2 hours and ruling out a tubal pregnancy which your doctor will probably do if your hcg continues to rise and you are still bleeding and cramping.
my sister had what she thought was her period for the first 4 months she did not even know that she was pregnant until she was 5 months and this happen with both of her pregnancy's. I know it's worry some hang in there my thoughts are with you.
Thank you two for responding! I have actually put my self on bed rest. I have been staying  off my feet as much as I can! My husband has been a huge help! I am now waiting on him to finish showering so we can go get another blood test! They already ruled out eptopic pregnancy. I'm also not soaking a pad every 1-2 hours. I only had to change it 1 maybe 2 times a day. This morning I woke up and am not bleeding as much anymore. I did have tiny clots but nothing big. Anyways, I will keep you all updated and thank you again for responding!
i'm 16 and i think i might be pregnant, we'll i thought i was. i was just turned 16 and found out i was pregnant and then 13 weeks later i found out i'd miscarried at 8weeks, not knowing. i was devestated, both myself and my boyfriend.
i know you are all probley saying your 16 don't be doing that but it wasn't planned.
but then around 1 week ago i felt all the signs of pregnancy again, feeling nauseous, headaches, sore breats, bloating, backacke and pain in my stomach so i thought back to when we had sex and remember there was no protection used so i was worried
but the worrying this is, i would say im around 3 weeks pregnant now, (i'm guessing) but just today there i was in my boyfriends house, went to the toilet and seen a kind of pinky brown colour of blood on my white trousers. now i've got a pain, not too sore but noticable in my right side and i kind of have period pains. then i went to the bathroom and noticed blood coming out like my period but when i looked it was like red tissue? im so confused. this would be my second miscarriage at 16 and im just scared incase its telling me ill never be-able to have kids. can anyone help and advise me what to do.
should i wait?
should i see a doctor?
is it normal?

thanks, x
@steph23, hi I was wondering about the outcome of all this. I am going through the same thing I went to the ER and my hormone level was only 12. I'm worried and scared. It would be my first pregnancy.
@steff23... Sorry I misspelled ur username.