2-3 weeks pregnant with bleeding and cramping

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I found out on Wed by a home pregnancy test that I am pregnant. Went in the next day for a blood test and got the results early Friday morning confirming I am pregnant. Well, Friday night at around 11:30pm I went to use the bathroom and noticed I'm bleeding. I had been cramping but I honestly thought nothing of it until I saw I was bleeding! I went to the er that night and they did a blood test and checked my cervix. My hcg level that night was at 10. Then I was only slightly bleeding and it was reddish brownish. Well, Sunday I woke up and noticed I am bleeding more. This time It is bright red. It still isn't as heavy as it would be if I was on my period. I'm only having to change a pad 1 maybe 2 times a day! Well, Sunday at around 4pm I went back into the ER because I was worried. They checked my cervix again and took another blood test. My hcg level had only went up to a 13. But, It also wasn't a full 48 hours since I had the last blood test! Because my hcg level is rising it does show that the pregnancy is progressing.. But, I'm extremely worried about the bleeding and cramping!

I've had a few woman tell me that you can have your period in your first trimester and still carry a normal pregnancy to term. Is this true? Can you have your period and still have a normal pregnancy? Has this happened to anyone? This is my 2nd pregnancy but during my first pregnancy nothing like this has ever happened to me? I know I should try to stop worrying about this. I go in tomorrow for another blood test and if my hcg level is rising like it should I may get an ultrasound!
You should take it easy, no strenuous activity and nothing in the vagina. Many women have bleeding and cramping in the first trimester. The thing to remember is that the pregnancy will either progress normally or you may miscarry but there is nothing the doctors can do to change the course of what is going to happen. Doctors cannot stop an early miscarrige nor would they want to because early miscarriages often happen for a reason like their is a problem with the pregnancy. The concern at this point is for the mother, making sure she is not loosing to much blood like soaking 1 pad every 1-2 hours and ruling out a tubal pregnancy which your doctor will probably do if your hcg continues to rise and you are still bleeding and cramping.
Avatar n tn
my sister had what she thought was her period for the first 4 months she did not even know that she was pregnant until she was 5 months and this happen with both of her pregnancy's. I know it's worry some hang in there my thoughts are with you.
Thank you two for responding! I have actually put my self on bed rest. I have been staying  off my feet as much as I can! My husband has been a huge help! I am now waiting on him to finish showering so we can go get another blood test! They already ruled out eptopic pregnancy. I'm also not soaking a pad every 1-2 hours. I only had to change it 1 maybe 2 times a day. This morning I woke up and am not bleeding as much anymore. I did have tiny clots but nothing big. Anyways, I will keep you all updated and thank you again for responding!
i'm 16 and i think i might be pregnant, we'll i thought i was. i was just turned 16 and found out i was pregnant and then 13 weeks later i found out i'd miscarried at 8weeks, not knowing. i was devestated, both myself and my boyfriend.
i know you are all probley saying your 16 don't be doing that but it wasn't planned.
but then around 1 week ago i felt all the signs of pregnancy again, feeling nauseous, headaches, sore breats, bloating, backacke and pain in my stomach so i thought back to when we had sex and remember there was no protection used so i was worried
but the worrying this is, i would say im around 3 weeks pregnant now, (i'm guessing) but just today there i was in my boyfriends house, went to the toilet and seen a kind of pinky brown colour of blood on my white trousers. now i've got a pain, not too sore but noticable in my right side and i kind of have period pains. then i went to the bathroom and noticed blood coming out like my period but when i looked it was like red tissue? im so confused. this would be my second miscarriage at 16 and im just scared incase its telling me ill never be-able to have kids. can anyone help and advise me what to do.
should i wait?
should i see a doctor?
is it normal?

thanks, x
@steph23, hi I was wondering about the outcome of all this. I am going through the same thing I went to the ER and my hormone level was only 12. I'm worried and scared. It would be my first pregnancy.
@steff23... Sorry I misspelled ur username.
I'm 15 and me and my boyfriend had sex for the very first time maybe three or two days after I got off my period. Which that day was the 9th or 10th of november and I started having signs of pregnancy a couple of days ago and its the 3rd of December but anyways i was having signs of it such as sore and tender breast, fatigue, constipation, cramps and more. So I thought I was pregnant so I was gonna take a test later on in the week to give it time. But the night before yesterday me and my boyfriend had sex and yesterday I was supposed to start my period and I didn't till later on in the night. I was bleeding and then i whipped three times and then it stopped. Then brown stuff started coming out and then light red blood would come out again and then it would turn brown again. This has been lasting for hours. I'm only spotting a little bit. But it aint like my normal period. Usually i bleed really heavy. And im not this time, this is really light and ain't as thick as the periods I usually have. But i think its getting worse. I'm still concerned cause what if I'm pregnant and something is going wrong with the baby?. I don't know how many weeks I would be if i really am pregnant but i dont know if I'm starting my period or if its something else? Please someone help please. I just want answers!!
Hi, welcome.  You've tacked your question to someone else's older thread  These often get missed.  Better to start your own question by exiting out of this question, going to the top of the page and hitting "ask a question".  Anyway, hard to say if you are pregnant.  You have to take a home test.  Unprotected sexual intercourse can definitely result in pregnancy (and std's).  Use protection such as a condom.  I will say though that women and girls your age have irregular periods and it is perfectly normal too.  so take a test to find out.  good luck
I had my period on Dec14-18 had sex on the 26th an started bleeding again on the 2nd of January I'm not sure what's going on idk if I'm pregnant or not is it too early to test?
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
May 28
Des_a_rae, and KTowne commented on Belle313's status
May 28
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
May 28
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals