Women's Health Community
49 and perimenopause but not period for 21+ days
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

49 and perimenopause but not period for 21+ days

I am a 49 year old women and have experienced symptoms consistent with premenopause for the past 1 1/2  years.  For the past year I have had irregular periods;  Some months I experience very Heavy periods and other months light periods, or I may miss 1 month, then bleed normal the next. I also have months with symptoms consistent with PMS when my period is due and then not bleed at all or the bleeding my start after all symptoms have disappeared about 1-2 weeks later.  Each of these have seemed consistent with perimenoupause and bleeding last under 7 days.
I am a wee bit more concerned this time around.  
About 5 weeks ago I experienced symptoms consistent with PMS for about 7 days without bleeding.  2 weeks later I had 2 days of breakthrough bleeding.  I did not bleed for about 1 week and then approximately 18 days ago I began bleeding again.  The bleeding was fairly light without any other symptoms.  I continued bleeding lightly for the next 14 days and then 4 days ago bleeding became much heavier with clots and I experienced symptoms consistent with getting my period.  The bleeding appears to have lightened today.  22 days of bleeding seems a bit odd and definatley unpleasant.
I wondered if someone could give me a bit of insight into whether or not this is consistent with Perimenopause if the long bleeding cycle is reason for concern.  
Tags: 22 day period; perimenopause;