5 months Pregnant - not feeling any movement! Concerned

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I'm 20 weeks with my first child and I haven't felt any movement and I'm a little concerned. When I read up about it online, it says that you should feel the baby anywhere between 16 and 20 weeks. I've felt nothing!  Is everything okay? Any comments would be appreciated.
As long as you heard a heart beat at the last visit I would not fret so much.....Don't stress out.  There could be a number of reasons as to the reason why You dont feel the baby move yet...You should call your doctor and see if there truely is a reason to be concerned.......Good luck and let us know what you find out......I have heard that Bigger women dont feel movement until like six months......dont worry about it until you talk to your doctor and your doctor tells you to worry.
Yes, I heard a heartbeat the last time. I'm not big, I weigh 130 lbs now and I'm 5.4

I'm going to the doc next week... I'll hang in there until then. Thanks!
Oh hun, its okay. I'm 17 weeks along, right behind you, and I cant feel a darn thing.. Just gas. :-)
I had an ultrasound last week and she was so active. I had a room full of the staff just watching how energetic she is. It's amazing that I cant feel her, because she was kicking and flipping over, and it looked like she wanted out. lol. I found out today that they used the pictures as a model for the office. lol, thats neat. :-)
You should start feeling your baby in a few more weeks. THis is also my first, and our bodies are going through changes. Women who have previous children can feel the baby at 3 months, but it takes times for us rookis. :-)
I would bring it to the attention of your doctor just to be safe
if it is your first pregnancy some women arent sure what they are looking /feeling for
Also heavier women tend not to feel it as much (but that isnt the case with you)
a doctor can do a fetal stress test..If you heard the heartbeat that is good!!
sometimes you feel it early, sometimes not, and if its your first baby, first movement isnt always a "thud" sometimes the first things you feel are flutters, you may think is gas, but is a small difference in that, kinda like water swishing in your belly, babys maybe not big enough to make heavy movements...if you heard a heart beat, im pretty sure its ok.
I agree with corykis that most first time moms just don't know what they are feeling for. I know with my first I was expecting to feel kicking and to know EXACTLY what it was. This isn't the case. A lot of women describe that first movement as flutters or like water rushing around. And yes Jenni, even gas!LOL Jenni is always talking about gas and I wonder if it isn't just that ballerina she is feeling doing some major dancing in there.
As time goes by and the baby gets larger and closer to the surface of the belly, the mystery feelings will become clearer. You may find that the same sensations that you thought were gas or digestion get bigger and more defined as they were just the baby the whole time. As song as the doctor is hearing the hearbeat and isn't concerned then you shouldn't worry either. But make sure to mention your concerns at your next visit, or even give a call to the nurse and ask her for reassurance. You may also try laying flat on your back. Try to relax there for a few minutes which fakes the baby put. He/she will think your sleeping which you will find is when they are most active.. Then place your hand flat on your belly applying just a little pressure so taht you can feel your uterus. Try to hold your hand there as still as possible and see if you feel anything. Even if it just feels like air bubbles moving about, or it may just feel like your uterus balled up or tensed up. This is most likely your baby moving. It won't be long before you'll be asking baby to be still so you can get some sleep!
Hope you are feeling reassured and less worried.
--J
Thank you all for your comments... feel much better. This website is incredible!!
sometimes if you are active yourself (busy working, walking, cleaning..whatever) you may not feel the baby move. what you should do is drink a nice big glass of either orange juice or milk. they lay down. that may do the trick and maybe you will feel some movement.
kjsk is right!! Fill your bladder and then do the laying down on your back thing. It's what they do for ultrasounds.. The full bladder actually pushes the uterus closer to the surface. Really good idea!
well..any movement yet? how are things going? if you see this post back and let us know how you are doing. im curious to know if the drinking oj or milk worked as it worked for me. (if you tried it).
I am 5 weeks pregnant and the nurse called me on Monday and told me things didn't look good.  She said my HCG level was 100 and it should of been at 288 already.  My progesterone level dropped to 9.57 and now they are putting me on 400mg of premetrium daily.  They are also going to have me go in next Tues to do an ultrasound to confirm pregnancy.  Should I be scared?
Hi, I'm 19 weeks pregnant and was just wondering whether this is the baby moving...right..ill explain it. It feels like little twitches like your eye would twitch. Is that the baby or am i feeling things??
I'm sure it is thats how I felt at 20 weeks I'm now 25 weeks it's a sudden feeling huh! Lay on your back and you will certainly feel it! Good luck
Your baby can probably be lazy they do sleep alot I'am 5 months i have went days were I don't feel my baby then all of a sudden i feel him just pay close attention it feel's like your stomach is growling like when your hungry!
Hi...

If you want ur Baby to be Fair and healthy...Eat cocunut +Mishri in the morning as the first diet and see the results afterwards.
I was worried to when I wasn't feeling anything at 19 weeks but I had my sonogram and saw that the baby was very active. He was asleep at first so we had to keep nudging him to get him moving, then we he did roll over, he shook his fist at us lol. That was hilarious because his dad hates when you wake him from a deep sleep. He has major attitude. THe baby sure enough will take after his father. Give it time, soon enough you will begin to feel it. Just keep up with regular appointments and as long as you hear the heart beating, everything's okay.
Hi, i'm about 19 weeks and i feel so depressed at times about the baby coming and all the changes that have to happen. Is that normal for a first timer?
your not in the first trimester

its normal to have mixed feelings sometimes.
I went my whole pregnancy with out feeling any movement. I went to the doctors office at least once every two weeks just to hear the heartbeat to make sure everything was OK.

The day I felt movement was the day he was born.
I'm 20weeks pregnant, I have not felt my baby move since lastnight..and since about a week ago this little peanut has not stoped haha! should I be concerned what do you think I should do? sometimes I feel like i have felt something but not sure..i heard the heartbeat about week and a half ago and it was good and strong so, from reading the comments i don't know if i need to be concerned but I am a little worried, as i said from all the movment the past week to nothing at all..
anything is helpfull thanks
I too am 5 mnths pregnant nd I haven't felt my lil lovie move at all!!! I'm really excited to experience his movement nd am kind of worried!! I had a misscarriage about a year nd 1/2 ago so I really stress out over things...have u felt ur baby move at this point? Or discussed it with ur doctor? Any type of feedback would be appreciated
im worried somethings happened to my unborn baby , im around 18 weeks i think, and i felt movement about a weekago all day long, and ever scince that day Nothing, should i go to the doctor or something...??
Hi all my fellow preggers! I am 5 months pregnant and I don't feel like i have much movement in my tummy for a day or two. Sometimes i feel like the stomach gets hard certain places or minor lower back ache but no real kicks lately. Last month the baby would not stop kicking and now, nothing. My last doctors appointment where we heard a healthy heartbeat was 8-3-10 but now I'm worried. I don't want to be a worry-wart but I don't know how fast you can lose your baby/ miscarry. I'm scared not be worried. I have to go to the restroom every hour it seems, and have a migraine if I don't have a little caffeine everyday. Do I go to a doctor to ensure a heartbeat or relax and just things be until my ultrasound 8-27-10, or what???? I'm nervous. . anybody out there?
Is it ok to not b showin dat much at 20 weeks
I am also 5 months pregnant and yesterday I felt a lot of flutters and not so much today but I have felt flutters here and there. Someone made a comment earlier that when u r busy and active u may not feel anything which is probably the main time ur lil one is moving about! Me personally being on the go as I am, I have noticed during my activities that I can feel rumbling in my belly and so then I'll stop to see if I can feel again, then I feel nothing and as soon as I get busy again I'll feel the rumbling again. So my lil one is playing tricks on his mommy! We all as loving mothers have the same general concern, and that is making sure we feel our babies move. I really wouldn't worry too much as long as u r going on your annual checkups and u see or hear that beautiful lil heartbeat....then just sit back and relax and take very good care of yourselves!! May God bless all those who r expecting their bundle of joys and may u all have a healthy delivery and a healthy baby!!!
Hi im 16 weeks pregnant and I feelt my baby move so much for the past week but its been about three days and I have not felt him move I am very worried
I am 20 weeks with my second child my son suddenly came and pushed my stomach it didn't hurt but baby movement has stopped should I go and consult or is it because of my tension help me  
i am 7 months pregnant and havent felt anything :( its my first baby but im really sad because i see other friends enjoying their baby move and i cant. i kno everythings ok bcuz we have heard the heartbeat but im just sad im missin out on the most enjoyable thing :''(
I'm 181weeks and have never felt my baby move.. Is evrything ok?
my five month start but my baby not move