9 weeks pregnant had a car accident, can it harm the baby????

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

I was in a car accident 3 days ago, I am 9 weeks pregnant.  It was a pretty rough car accident.  I am very stiff and bruised.  At the ER the doctor wouldn't take x-rays b/c I'm pregnant, and he didn't perform an ultrasound b/c he said that at 9 weeks your pregnancy is still inside the pelvis which makes it very well protected.  I want to know that if you have a very violent trauma such as a high speed car accident.  Can you harm a 9 week pregnancy.  Now I am not having any cramps, or bleeding.  But am concerned that there may be some birth defects possible, or epilepsy, seizures, something from this trauma.  Can you please give me as much info as you can.
I am sure that you are ok.  That dr. absolutely would not have released you without further testing if there was a reason to be concerned....Does your ob/gyn have an u/s in his office?  If he does, I would call and ASK for one.  It is not okay for you to be in the worrying state that you are currently in.  If you were in a car accident, and your dr. did an u/s, insurance wouldn't even question it!  Sometimes, the peace of mind is all that is needed, and I would do everything in your power to get that.  You deserve it, and you and baby will benefit from it!  Best wishes to you, and I am sure that you are ok!
i agree with the previous poster!
I'm sure your ok, but to make sure call your ob and let him/her know what happened.
Thank you 'ladies' so much.  I will call the doctor to ask.  But I was wondering if anyone had a similar incident or knew someone who had.  I'm not sure what can be seen on an ultrasound.  As far possible side effects from the accident.
I agree with above but u could still get the us if it makes u feel better,or in the very least a doppler
I was also 9wks pregnant and had a horrible car car accident my car was completely totaled and the police said i shouldn't survived. my baby was completely fine,  no effects on him at all. he's 2 now and driving me crazy
The baby is tiny at this stage, like the size of a lentil or pea, and it is swimming in its sac full of fluid (a natural air bag if ever there was one), and that entire protective structure is inside the uterus, which is two inches thick of muscle (think of a snow globe inside solid styrofoam), and the whole thing is supported by your pelvic bones which form a circle around it.  (Take the snow globe inside styrofoam and put it in a strong framework of wood, and that is what you have, and if you took that and threw it off the roof of a building it would just bounce.)  Nothing could get at  your little embryo unless you actually had something sharp penetrate into your abdomen.  Your baby is fine.
Several monthes ago there was a woman that was skydiving & had a slight crash, when she got to  the hosp. she was fine they also told her she was pg. So she was not even as far as u & things were fine w/ her. But i agree w/ the others they should offer u an u/s for your peace of mind:) Good Luck
I was in a car accident in 1994.  It was pretty bad.  I was not wearing a seat belt and was t-boned while making a left hand turn at the intersection.  I was in the passenger seat and the car hit my side dead on.  I bashed my head into the metal frame surrounding the windshield.  I was knocked unconscious and was taken to the hospital.  It was there that they told me I was 13 weeks preg.  Everything was fine with the baby.  She is now 10 years old and as healthy as can be.  Aside from the damage that was caused to my head, the baby was just fine.  Ahhh I miss having a baby!@!!
Des_a_rae, specialmom, and KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne commented on Belle313's status
Soy products may decrease testoster...
11 hrs ago by gymdandee
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals