9mm ovarian cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

9mm ovarian cyst

Hi everyone,

A few days ago i was diagnosed with a 9mm ovarian cyst on a visit to the ER. i was told to use a heating pad for about 1-3 days and if the pain persisted, to see a doctor. I don't have insurance and so i know it will be a very expensive visit which i cannot afford at the moment. My question is, how big should an ovarian cyst be to be considered very dangerous? I've tried the heating pad and i felt a sharp pain a few seconds after placing it on my abdomen and i intend to do that hoping it would either shrink it or make it rupture. I also do intend to see a doctor as soon as i possibly can. most of the information i've found about ovarian cysts do not really tell me how serious mine is. Please let me know if you have any knowledge about this. I'm 24 by the way. Thanks a lot.
You might find the ovarian cancer website more helpful about ovarian cyst or tumor questions =) Usually when a cyst is larger than 5cm doctors may want to remove it.  I have a dermoid tumor, last I heard was 2.3x2.0cms.  Just think positive! Your cyst seems pretty small, most peoples cysts are measured in cm's or inches, not mm's.  Best of luck!
Of course, everything I am about to say should be run by a doctor.  If it is just filled with liquid, it is likely to be more painful than serious in the sense of infection or other damage.  The heat will help with the painfulness.  Also baths will help with the pain.  When I have been in desperate straits, I tried massaging the spot to see if I could make it open up and drain.  Once it drains, generally speaking you are OK (unless, of course, there is something else going on like an infection).  Good luck, I know how much those hurt.
thanks a lot guys...that helps.