A possible miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

A possible miscarriage?

Last night during sex with my husband, I began to an odd pain. It was a mild burning sensation. I didn't think too much of it since it was a little more than one week since we have had sex so maybe it was just a stretching sensation.

The following afternoon I went to the restroom. I saw that there was a light amount of blood in my underwear. I figured I had just started my period so I went to my room to grab a pad. When I got back to the bathroom to put it on, there was suddenly a massive amount of blood. It got all over the floor and my the shorts I was wearing. The blood was very stringy and it all kind of came out at one time. This is very abnormal for my period.

Up to today, I have been very tired and I have had a lot of aches and pains in various parts of my body. I have been lightheaded with frequent headaches and nausea.

A friend said that it could have been a very early miscarriage, which is possible as my husband and I have unprotected sex, however I didn't feel any pain other than cramping from yesterday and it hadn't been a long time since my last period.

What could have just happened?
I don't think that sex would have caused a miscarriage. Even during the earliest stages of pregnancy the embryo is protected and although you have had unprotected sex, doesn't mean that were pregnant (unless you had taken a test before this incident). I have had my period come immediately after sex. But I really don't think that it was a miscarriage.