A recurring bump in a questionable place
I recently noticed a small bump to the right of my clit. It was under the skin and a little itchy/irritated. After about a day, the swelling went down and it "popped", similar to the way a pimple would. I have taken the time to read many of the posts, and I've seen many responses suggesting this may be an ingrown hair. However, this is a recurring thing for me in the EXACT same spot. The first time I noticed this problem, I was about 11 years old and not sexually active. This bump appears once MAYBE twice a year, completely randomly (I see no pattern in the times it shows up). Also, it heals very quickly, and has only been a solitary bump in that exact same place.

Has anyone experienced, or heard something similar to this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Sounds like an ingrown hair, regardless of recurrence or location. You had it before you started having partner sex, so you know it's not a STD. Certainly nothing to worry about :-)
perhaps a bartholins cyst.
I went to have my yearly gyno exam, and I showed the doctor the bump. I had scratched (I know it was unwise) and the bump was a little raw. Understandably, she did a herpes culture (is that what it's called?). I'm a bit freaked out though, because she asked me NO questions about it, did NO other tests on it, and when I asked her if there was anything else it could be, she wouldn't answer me.

I've been looking at some pictures of herpes, and this just doesn't look anything like it to me... although every picture I seem to find is of the most severe cases. I've also had this before I was sexually active, but her response to that was, "You could have genital HSV-1 from biting your nails, then scratching". I have had nothing in my mouth, and I've never even had a cold sore. She seems fairly adamant about herpes. I understand that they want to rule out "the most simple explanation", I just feel like they weren't thorough.

What can I do to be sure that I get a proper diagnosis? I don't know how accurate the test they did is, and they didn't do a blood test (I'm aware that they exist). Do I have a reason to be worried? Could I get a false positive and be diagnosed with something I don't even have? Sorry to make this so long, I'm just very worried, and the doctor wouldn't answer my questions. Thank you so much for your responses! I will post my results as soon as I get them, as they may be able to help someone else.
You say it "popped", what comes out when it pops?
Wow, I think you should seek a new gyn.

It is possible to have HSV1 genitally, but it's rare to autoinnoculate yourself, particularly if you weren't having a primary oral outbreak at the time (it's actually more of a theoretical risk). But if your culture's positive, then it's positive. And if it's negative, I guess you could also ask for a HerpeSelect blood test... but even if it shows up HSV1 positive, you still won't know WHERE. You could indeed have oral herpes and NOT genital herpes, regardless of what she thought of the sore.

I certainly wouldn't stress out about this in the meantime. But I would look for a new gyn, one who will take time to answer your questions and offer more support, and relax.
i am telling you it sounds like a bartholins cyst! look that up and tell me what you think. either way you do need to go see a dr./RN and get it looked at because you are right, you wont get a diagnosis here. just suggestions.
bartholins cyst can come back in the same spot. they are nothing to worry about just a nuisince. let me know what ya think.
i still say bartholins cyst. that whole area has whatever.. those bartholins glands. i am not all up on the vagina and its parts but i am highly confident (based solely upon your description) you have that cyst or an ingrown hair.
I've been looking at some descriptions of bartholins cyst, and it keeps saying "near the vaginal opening". Could bartholins cyst be located up by the clit? When it pops its usually within a few hours to a day of when I first notice the bump under my skin, and the stuff inside is almost exactly like when you pop a pimple. It's not a sore, or a blister. Just a pea sized (or less) bump under the skin, kind of like a boil or something. The swelling does go down with warm water.

Thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it! After the "look of doom" from my gyno I felt condemned, but now I feel a bit optimistic. If the test comes back negative I will ask for a blood test, and if that comes back negative I'll see if I can get a referral to a dermatologist. Thanks again!
it does not sound like a bartholins cyst at all!!!!!
i think i read that u said a bartholins cyst usually pops after a day or so.... i just had a bartholins cyst and it lasted 2.5 months and they r in ur vagina not on ur labia, i think u r thinking about a garters cyst(sp?)....
look at this picture....
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.doctorshospital.org/healthreference/reference/images/image_popup/bartholin_big.jpg&imgrefurl=http://venuro.info/articles.php%3Flng%3Dru%26pg%3D205&h=252&w=360&sz=39&hl=en&start=16&tbnid=Q1fGBoohmOSUtM:&tbnh=81&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpictures%2Bof%2Ba%2Bbartholin%2527s%2Bcyst%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26hs%3DqcV%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official_s%26sa%3DX
shyan
You're right. Typically herpes is superficial - Dr. Handsfield has often said something like, think *on* the skin, not in the skin. I seriously doubt you have herpes - especially if you can pop it.

Let us know how it turns out!
How accurate are the cultures? I haven't gotten my results back yet, but I'm just curious.

A prior infection with oral HSV-1 lowers the risk of acquiring genital HSV-1 even further. Studies show that genital HSV-1 infections almost always occur in people who have no prior infection with HSV of either type (Corey, Annals of Internal Medicine, 1983). -found this on herpes.com, not sure how accurate the info is.

That quote eases my mind a bit... I think it would be kind of farfetched to assume that I got genital HSV-1 from myself by biting my nails during an oral HSV-1 shedding as a young child who was not sexually active, then scratching my own vagina. It's possible I suppose, but for that to be the FIRST guess seems a bit silly because it's SO unlikely.

Doesn't herpes start ON the skin, not deep under the skin? Imagine pinching a section of your arm (not just skin, a little fat under the skin also so the area pinched is about 1/3-1/2 of an inch thick) and there being a pea sized lump inside. That was exactly what my bump was like. Sure sounds like a developing boil to me! Also... If the doctor thought there was even a CHANCE that I have herpes... shouldn't she have given me some valtrex or something to see what kind of results came of using it?
It is not herpes. I got the results of the culture back, and they're negative. I was having some other blood labs done, and my doctor offered to do the herpeselect, but said it was optional. Better safe than sorry, right? I'm expecting a negative result. Thanks everyone for your help!
can herpes be on the clit and cause it to swell