Abnormal Mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Abnormal Mammogram

I am 28 and my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at 33, and underwent a radical modified mastectomy with reconstruction.  My last mammogram came back abnormal, it states:

FINDINGS:
The breast consist of scattered fibroglandular tissue.  Potential 4mm only partially well-circumscribed isodense mass in the mid medial right breast essentialy in the horizontal axis of the nipple.

Impression:
CATEGORY 0- Needs additional imaging
Pending diagnostic mammography and ultrasound of the right breast as above.

I am nervous about this finding as you can imagine, but I'm more frustrated by not knowing how serious this finding is and my appointment is not for another week.  So although I am trying not to agonize about this, the waiting game is terrible. From your experience does this sound like it most likely benign?? I hope you can give me some more information about these results.  My biggest phobia is not knowing, any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thank you!
Well, i am not a doctor.  However I have had a simialr experience with not knowing anything and having to wait a whole week until the next appointment.  Don't panic yet and look at it this way....if it is something significant, it was caught early and you'll have  great chance of recovery.  Also....the radiologist who examined your mammogram is trained at dealing with things like this.  True, they can't diagnose something without a biopsy, their trained eye can usually detect something that is seriously abnormal and if they really thought it was something significant, I don't know that they would wait a week to see you again.  I don't know if that's always true, but I had a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer.  She had her mammogram and the next day she was going in for a biopsy because her doctor was really concerned.  I hope this helps some and good luck.
Thank you so much for your feedback!! I am still waiting and hoping for the best. I asked my sister how long she waited in between mammogram and US and she said it was approximately a week, and then she had a biopsy done a few days after the US and 2 weeks later had a mastectomy...everything happened really fast.  Part of me keeps telling my self "I'm too young this is not possible!!!"  But my sister was young and not to mention I already had early stages of cervical cancer when I was 21!  Oh well, agonizing won't help, but prayer does.  I know God is bigger than cancer and all is possible through Christ who strengthens me!  Thanks again!