Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Hello.  I am a 25 year old female.  My last period was late by two and a half weeks and then I only had minor/very light bleeding for two weeks straight.  For a couple of days I had no bleeding at all and then three days ago my period started again.  For the past two days I have had extremely heavy bleeding, so much so that I have to change my tampon every two hours.  When should I seek help for this?  Is it safe to wait it out and see if it ends in 3-4 days?  Or is that too much blood loss?  Thanks!
Hi there, I have had the same thing before only I was 10 years older. In my case, my periods were normal til age 35. I was always a little on the heavy side after having kids, about 175 lbs, I didn't look that heavy, but I was.
   I decided to start walking and after 4 months of 6.8 km per day, I lost a total of 40 lbs. In the 5th month of walking I began to bleed very heavily, a night time pad every hour. I would bleed for days that heavily, then it would slow down for no apparent reason, almost quit, then go again real heavy, then stop for 3 or 4 weeks. I kept walking.
    I finally went to the Dr. and they did all kinds of tests and after a month they said that the female hormone is stored in fat cells, so when I started walking I was burning fat cells at such a rapid rate that the female hormone was being dumped into my blood stream and all that excess estrogen or whatever was what was causing the heavy bleeding. So they prescribed me real strong birth control pills which I refused to take after I seen all the sideaffects there were. I did however take the iron pills they gave me as I was low on iron.    
This bleeding came and went and when it came it was so heavy I just stayed at home, it was like having diarhea (diarrhea), I didn't want to get far from the toilet. I couldn't stand it.
   I went to another Doctor, a women this time, she had ultrasounds done and announced that I had uterine fibroids and that it was them that were causing my heavy bleeding. It's true, they do cause heavy bleeding if they get in the way of the endometrium trying to build the blood vessel rich layer in the uterus when the body thinks a fertiized egg is on its way, the lining tries to build, the fibroids are in the way, the endometrium sheds and tries again, hence, the heavy bleeding and clots. She prescribed real strong birth control pills. Desperate, I took them for 10 days, the bleeding wound right down and stopped. I had to take iron again.
   This went one for 10 years!!! Finally, I asked to see a specialist, I was referred and I told him of my fears of taking the birth control and how the bleeding was making my life so miserable (not to mention the cost of the darn pads). He said there was some things we  could do that would help and if all else failed, well, I could get a hysterectomy... I was excited that finally something was going to help me that wasn't risky or requiring surgery, he wrote a prescription and when I looked at it, it was birth control!! I told him I didn't want to take birth control, nor did I want a hysterectomy (so my body could go all out of whack  thinking it was in menopause and all my hormones could get all out of whack!?? forget it!!) I asked him if there was not some kind of diet or lifestyle change that could help and he said no, not really, these were my choices.
   I gave him back the prescription and I left his office determined that I was not going to have to take drugs or have my female parts removed!

What I did:
Tons of research to and:
-Quit using any bath, beauty or cleaning products that might have chemicals in it that could be an estrogen mimic (unnatural, synthetic hormones that the body recognizes as a hormone but that does not have the healthy and proper effect on the body that natural hormones have. They wreak hovoc in the body and cause serious imbalances in the endocrine (hormonal) systems. Hormones do much more than regulate female functions.
-Went right back to basics in my diet, what would Great Great grandma have eaten? Green leafy vegetables, fruits such as apples and berries in summer, lop the head off of a free range chicken which has had the opportunity to eat bugs and grass, get sunshine and exercise (a proper chicken diet and lifestyle) for the weeks meat and stews. In the winter she would have eaten all sorts of root vegetables from the garden stored in the root cellar and maybe a some beef, chicken eggs (from the same healthy chickens). You see where I'm going with this! No more processed foods (I now eat a bit of processed foods, like a small bowl of icecream or some chips or cookies), Commercially prepared foods also have chemicals in them that , get too many, and they wreak havoc in your body too!
-I started drinking 8- 8oz glasses of water a day, I never ever drank water, only coffee, sometimes juice, occasionally alcohol and pop. Things go wrong after long periods of dehydration, I was 45 years old before I drank water daily. I look way younger than I did when I was in my 20's, my sons pointed that out if you can imagine!
-I started taking Krill Oil (omega 3 fatty a acids) magnesium, iodine, selenium, mineral drops for more trace elelments, chlorella, B vitamin complex, rosehips and camu camu berry for vitamin C, vitamin D3 in the winter/sun in the summer.
-I get more sleep than I ever used to, I was a night hawk.
-After doing all the above quitting smoking was quite easy! I took a Doctors advice on that one, he said to get myself feeling good with diet and lifestyle changes first and when I am feeling so much better and healthier, then attempt to quit and success will praobalby come easier, it's true, for me anyway.
-exercise is important for the body as well as the mind. The blood has a heart to pump it around, the lymph system (garbage pickup and disposal system of the body) depends on body movement to move it along, if we don't move enough our whole waste disposal can be like a garbage strike is in the city, with garbage that's not picked up piling up on the  side of the road, dumpsters overflowing, when the body gets like that, disease comes fast.

It will take a while before you begin to rid your body of the years of built up synthetic hormones , chemicals and crap from everyday life. Luckily you are only 25 so it probably won't take so long as it did me. Don't lose hope though, your body can look after itself just fine, you just have to remove the things that are antagonizing it and give it the tools (food, sleep, exercise, the odd supplement if deficient) and it will serve you well! An amazing amazing machine your body is. Hope this helps, feel free to ask me any other questions , April