Abnormal bleeding on birth control

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Abnormal bleeding on birth control

I was previously on Yaz and started having some issues so my doctor switched me to Nuvaring. She told me to use it continuously but to give myself a 1 week break every now and then. So I did on Dec. 6 of last year. A week later I put a ring back in and my bleeding never stopped. It was still pretty heavy and continued. I saw a different OBGYN in Jan, and he started me on levonorgestrel-ethinyl estradiol which I've been taking since Jan 10. I took the pill on time every day. I kept a record of my bleeding until my next follow up which was on April 4. I bled every single day from Jan to Apr (some normal flow, some light, and most spotting). He then gave me a script for 1mg estrogen to take in addition to my birth control to take for a couple weeks. I stopped bleeding, but as soon as I stopped the 1mg estrogen, I started spotting again.

I can't seem to stop bleeding, and it's driving me crazy. I'm only 27, and I don't think it's normal to have to take bc AND estrogen to stop myself from spotting continuously.

Some additional info: I only take bc to control my periods because they normally last 2 weeks and are extremely heavy & painful. I have a little endometriosis. I've also been having some lower back pain. I've had a pelvic ultrasound and CT scan which were normal. My endometrial stripe was 7.2mm (at the time of the ultrasound, I had been on bc for months).

Has anyone else ever heard of this/had this problem or had to take hormone replacement therapy at this age? I'm tired of not knowing what's going on. I feel something is wrong and my hormone levels are abnormal due to a specific cause that the doctor isn't finding.
Causes of menorrhagia are Hypothyroidism, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometrial proliferation or hyperplasia like ovarian tumor and polycystic ovarian disease, polyps(cervical or endometrial.They are small, fragile, non cancerous growths in the cervix or uterus) and neoplasia, hormonal imbalance, endometriosis, fibroids(benign (non-cancerous) tumors that often occur in the uterus of women during their thirties or forties),uterine cysts and uterine sarcomas.

In my opinion you need to get your pelvic examination done from your gynecologist along with investigations like complete blood count, thyroid function tests, PAP smear and ultrasound uterus. Once cause of menorrhagia is identified, treatment can be planned.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Des_a_rae commented on photo
14 mins ago
Des_a_rae, and pb95 commented on Des_a_rae's status
23 mins ago
Des_a_rae commented on photo
25 mins ago
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals