Abnormal spotting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Abnormal spotting

Hi all,

I am 17 years old. I've always had irregular periods but the past few have been extremely abnormal...
1) no PMS (no acne, no weight gain, no mood changes)
2) irregular cycle (shorter)
3) darker blood, lighter flow, longer period

and here is where it gets REALLY weird...

4) when i put a tampon in and take it out after 5 hours, the tampon is pretty much white, except for one spot--like one specific area on the tampon has blood on it. every single time i put a tampon in and take it out it's only that one spot that has a significant amount of blood on it.

All of this is super weird, and I don't know if I should just wait for the next cycle to see if things change, or is it something urgent I should get checked out ASAP. What could possibly be causing this?

Thanks.
Hi there.  Welcome.  Is your mom open to discussions related to your period?  She's really the best one to talk to about this.

are you under weight by the way?  Exercise a lot?  

Do you have annual pelvic exams yet?
Hi specialmom, thanks for your reply!

My mom is open to discussions--I've told her and she thinks it's pretty weird since for all her life she's never missed a single period and her cycle has always been exactly 28 days.

My BMI is 20---so no, I am not anywhere near underweight. I exercise a everyday, but not significantly more than I have exercised for the past few years in my life.

And no I have not had a pelvic exam yet...I will definitely look into that, thank you.