Adult Head/Skull and soft spot similiar to a newborn child.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have this soft spot that I never noticed on my head. It's similiar to when a child is young/born and they have 'soft' spot(s) on the head. For a long time now, I have had major headaches that just won't go away and also I do have a lot of stress. I am not sure if all this is related to the bad allergy/sinusitus problems that I live with.
Funny enough Ive noticed that aswell, but I dont think its a soft spot as such as with the baby its because its not fused where as after that first year or so it does. I dont think thats in anyway related to the headaches u get. It could be migrane (migraine) or related fully to stress. It might be an idea to go to ur dr to explore why this is happening.
Maybe you should visit an Osteopath who is trained in craneology and get an opinion on that.  Osteopaths are doctors, they just learn other holistic stuff in addition to standard medical school stuff.  Anyway, they are really good with helping babies out who have hard deliveries with their skulls, so that's why this came to mind.
I just noticed a soft spot on my head last night.  It's like I have a dent on the top back part of my head.  I have had head aches for years. Is this sight only for women?  I'm a young man but i've been looking for help.
hey i have the exact same thing happening to me, same area to, top back of my head.  for me its to the right side and about the size of thumb when i press down on it (which it sends pains similar to the headaches i get from.  im a 20 year old male and don't know anything about this kinda thing.  i have all the same factors and symptoms as mentioned above:
                    "For a long time now, I have had major headaches                    that just won't go away and also I do have a lot of allergy/sinusitis problems that I live with."

if anyone else finds out something please post, i don't have insurance so i wont be scening a doc any time soon (trying to beef up my info as of now until i can afford go)
i have the same problem soft area at back of head it gives me really bad headaches. i have many other symptoms too like body aches & nausia also tiredness & anxiety. after  months of persistance my dr finally ran some blood test & it seams that i may have an auto immune disease of some type & i will say that im finding thats like opening up a can of worms
ive just spoke to my osteopath and she said keep hydrated drink lots of water to keep fluids around the brain up so ive been drinking more water today and my headaches appear to be improving and the soft spot isnt as sensitive
I ALSO just noticed a soft spot on the back of my head!!! I actually called my mother and asked her if I had always had it and just didnt notice! (Im 23 yrs old) I think I would of noticed it by now! Its kind of strange how this forum started in 2006 but now two years later in Jan 2008 its taking off? whats up with that? The only reason I found this is because I GOOGLE'd "Adualt Soft Spot". Please let me know if yall hear of anything. Im from NC if it rings a bell? Maybe we all got up-ducted by allians or something,lol. Kinda not joking... though
I am a 29 yr old female. I noticed the same thing (soft spot on top back of head) about 3 yrs ago. I do not have a history of headaches but lately I've been getting dizzy easily and my vision is sometimes blurred. My husband and I just started to try and have a baby. I'm afraid that if I go to the doctor and they find something we will have to put off having a family which I don't want to do. It is sensitive when I press or push on it. Does anyone out there know what may be the cause of this??
Here's my story....

10-11 years ago when I was 13 or 14 I finally went and saw a specialist regarding the soft spot I have on the back of my upper head/skull. I had complaints of severe head aches, slight trouble with my vision, and the soft spot was tender to the touch. I was extremely concerned because this area of my head that is affected is about the equivalent to the size of my palm. Anyway, They said I had a solitary fiberous tumor but that it wasn't cancerous. So they operated and removed the tumor from my skull. They aren't sure what caused the tumor or the fact that it was deteriating my skull. My suggestion would be to see a doctor if you have similar issues. They never were able to find out the cause but I had one of the best neuro surgeons.
I also just located a soft spot located just above my forehead, went to the doctor and having an CAT Scan tomorrow. I am a 41 year old female, with severe headaches and pressure on the same side of my head. Very scarry thing.
I will not jump to conclusion on what this may or may not bring, I just hope all of you get the Medical advise that is necessary to live a long and Happy LIFE...
Hello from a medical worker,
Couple of points which may help.
When investigating medical problems it is always very important not to wrongly associate two things, i.e. Just because you have a soft spot, and get headaches, does not mean that the soft spot has cause headaches. The skin overlying the skull can be indented to give the impression of a soft spot although the bones themselves may remain strong. Tumours are rare. The fluid around the brain is so well regulated by the body that you would have to be SEVERLY dehydrated before this changed so drinking more is unlikely to change any soft spot, especially as the fluid is underneath bone and a strong layer of fibrous tissue called dura mater. By pressing on the top part of the back of your head you may be pressing the a branch of the occipital nerve which can cause pain. Good luck to you all.
A couple of years ago I was in the shower washing my hair and noticed when I rubbed a spot on the upper-back part of my skull it hurt...quite a bit! I never saw my doc, but asked the pediatrician about it when I was in with one of my kids. He looked at me like I was crazy! Over the years, I've made, what I think, is the connection. The "soft spot" only hurts the day after I've indulged in alcoholic beverage consumption. Obviously I'm not a doctor, but I do believe it has something to do with dehydration. Once I get plenty of fluids - non-alcohoholic, of course - over the course of the day, I'm fine and the area is no longer sensitive to the touch.
Wow I was wondering about this too, I have a "soft spot" on the left side of my skull on the top it is the size of a 50 cent piece, I wonder if you suffered a blunt forced trauma to the head if this could be a result. I also get these spells were I will be doing something and loose track of what I was doing, it happens alot, its almost as if I black out only I don't "black" out I just loose track, or forget what I was doing. I know that it is sensitive to the touch as well. I don't drink alcohol and I drink lots of water and still get minor pain in that area. I understand the lack of insurance as I have no insurance either. Any thoughts?
i am 52 yrs old and developed a soft spot on the top left side of head in august, then in december i got one on the right side. i have been to 4 differant doctors, i have had  blood test, mri, bone scan, cat scans and nothing is showing up.if anyone hears what is causing this keep me informed.
Hi, I'm a 20 yr old female. I've had a soft spot in top middle part of my head for years but now it's started to worry me because it seems like its sinking deeper. I must say I do suffer from headaches that last days. If I wear my hair up the tension on it hurts. I havent been to see may GP because I havent really worried about it until now.

Could anyone give me some advice??
I am a 53 year old women and I have a soft spot the size of my palm in the back top of my head that is also sensitive to the touch. It was discovered when I was around 16years old, as I was always complaining of headaches. I was told by a doctor that it was the soft spot babies have and that it never closed all the way. And to be careful not to hit that area of my head. I have never been able to have a ponytail, or to pull my hair back because the tension hurts the area and causes headaches. I did go thru a few years recently of migraine headaches with auras, but don't think it had anything to do with this. My older brother discovered he has the same as me, but a bit smaller. It seems this is a quite common condition. I have had several CAT scans and nothing to worry about.
My 15 year-old son has had migraines for years.  He has always pinpointed them to the area on the back of his head that has a softspot.  If anyone slightly touches the spot, he gets a headache...sometimes producing a migraine.  Any advice on what to do?
I have a soft spot on the back side of my head its pretty big, is this something I Should be worried about or have checked out. Im really concerned about it. What should I do?
I thought i was the only person that feared something was not right. I have always had a soft spot but for the past couple of years that "soft sopt" has gotten worse. When i stand up right from sitting down i become very light headed and dizzy. I also gets headaches and migranes (migraines). At time, i forget things and i feel exhausted and tired. My soft spot is extremely tender and is the size of a 3 year old fist. I hope i find a healthy way to overcome this.... thing..
Can the spot on the back top part of your head kill you I worry about hitting it and it killing me.
I to have a soft spot in the back part of my head, but minds puts me to sleep when my girl friend rubs it, i like getting it rub it feels good i don't have headaches like most people.
well guest what me too, and even worst cause i was born with it, my mom told me, she noticed an open spot in the middle of my head( posterior fontanelle), any doctor will tell you, its normal in an infant but my haven't change much, and my mom noticed a big difference in my spot compare to my siblings. growing up i suffer a lot from dizziness, severe headache, sinusitis, and all rest, especially when studding, that spot make it impossible at times, cause it gives me pain, very interesting this toping, so far hope we find answers while waiting for good health insurance.
I am a 16 year old male and I have a big spot on the back top part of my head it is as big as my palm and it sinks down about half and inch it is in like a triangle shape cause i can feel the edges of the skull then it starts to sink down well I have been pushing around on it because I want to make sure that it is strong but It doesn't give me headaches and when I push real hard it doesn't send no pain but thats all i think about all day everyday I'm miserable I can't have no fun because thats all i think about because I don't know if it can kill me, but sometimes I push on it and it feels strong then other times I push on it and it feels like there is no support and all day I am feeling and pushing on it cause I don't know what it is and it worries me none stop, every bald person that walks by me I look at the back top part of there head and its perfect no spot, so I don't know if it can kill me I am so scarred, its so deep i don't know it might kill me please someone help i am so scarred please help, Is my skull just not as strong I'm 6'4 230 pounds and its is as big as my palm and my palm is big, please someone help if it wasn't so big i wouldn't be worrying but please write back and help me i can't take it anymore please help
i have been getting headaches these last few days and sometimes when i stand up to fast i get light headed and i feel like i cant breathe, and i noticed tonight that on the side of my head i have a tender spot that kinda tingles when you touch it or move my hair, what could this be?
I also have a "soft spot" on my head, mine is on the right side and is about 1 inch by 1 1/2 inch. When I first noticed it I was about 13 and it was a bump on my head and the doctors thought there might be fluid in it and they wanted to drain it. Well I went to go have it drained and it just went away and formed this soft spot.
When I lay on my right side, there is fluid build up and it is painful. So now I try not to sleep on that side.
I also get migraines and I notice when I have one that area gets very sore and tender. I have had C.T Scan and MRI and it shows nothing, and they doctors are away of it and they don't seem concerned.
I was wondering if drinking more water (as I read above) has helped anyone? Or any other ideas that may help me.

HI I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.. I AM A PANIC PERSON... I FELT THIS ON MY HEAD IT IS ABOUT 2 INCHES LONG AND A THUMBNAIL DEEP..ON MY RIGHT SIDE.  I HAVE HAD IT CHECKED OUT BY A DR. TWICE..AND BOTH TIMES WAS TOLD IT IS JUST A REMNANT OF MY SOFT SPOT..AND WAS TOLD NOT TO WORRY ABOUT IT.. SO I HOPE THIS EASES ANY ONE ELSE PANIC STRICKEN MIND..LOL.  I HAD MY SELF TALKED INTO 40 DIFFERENT THINGS ALL BAD.  I AM RELIEVED NOW.. THANKS.
Hey! I am a 19yr old female and I have had a soft spot on the top back of my head right in the middle since I can remember I do not yet have health insurance at my job but when I was little I never thought to ask my doctor about it. My mom say's not to worry about it that it's nothing but everytime I tell someone about it and they feel it they kinda get a freaky reaction and tell me I need to go to the doctor it's about the size of a golf ball but its more oval then round and it's about 1/2 inch deep. I know I should see my doctor but it's relieving to know that this happens to alot of people the only difference with me is I think mine has always been there.
LISTEN, i HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE SAME THING. FOR THE PAST YEARS. I NEVER GAVE UP SEARCHING. I STRONG THING ITS Hydrocephalus. Hydro means water and cephalus" meaning "head."  Go to the webite and check out more helpful information www.Mayoclinic.com or riversideonline.com. PLEASE PLEASE CHECK IT OUT
Relax. Those that have had this checked out by their doctors seemed to come away with a reassurance that this was not a serious problem. The number of posts also implies that there are many people who have the same thing. Think about this: so many of you have had this for years. Don't you think you would have seen a severe decline in health if there was a serious issue? I'm not teasing or scolding, merely trying to ease some fears if possible since I am also the type of person who is prone to hypochondria. I myself have had this for as long as I can remember (I am now 30) and nothing has ever changed in my health. Hope this helps a little.
I thought that I was crazy and so do all my friends and family who I've told about my "soft spot".  It is on the middle  back of my head and I've had it for as long as I can remember.  If I touch it too hard, comb my hair too hard in that area, my hair gets pulled or bump my head (even gently) on something, it causes me an instant severe headache and nausea.   Since I've never seen the back of my head up close, I don't know if it looks funny or what.  I also often have terrible sinus pain and pressure so bad that my face hurts sometimes like I've been punched in the nose or someone is scooping my eyeballs out with a melon-baller!  I've worried about my "soft spot" for years but never mentioned it to my doctor.  I'm going to ask him to check it out just to be sure that it's nothing serious.  If I've lived with it this long, it must be nothing, right?
I too have found a soft spot on the back of my skull.  At the very top is an indention that I can feel and then under that is a larger spot that is kinda flat.  I noticed the indention on the top probably about a year ago but have just now started feeling it becoming tender to the touch as if my skull bones are thinning.  I dont really have any headaches that go along with it.  I am in the same boat as some of you as far as not having insurance.  I just got laid off of my job in the mortgage industry so there went my insurance too.  I am really concerned about this...has anyone else seen a doctor that could pass along any info?
Hi I am really concerned about what is happening to me. I started getting sharp pains in my head about 6 months ago on and off. About 2 weeks ago when I was touching the back of my head I fealt a soft indentation in the back of my head..Right in the middle of the back of my head, like a soft spot and there seems to be a ridge underneath it, and tender to touch right around and above it, anyway, I am really scared because my Dad died 4 years ago due to a condition called multiple myeloma , ( a form of bone cancer) I found out it runs in my family,,as his father had it and so did his uncle. I also feel dizzy sometimes as well.. THis is very annoying and scary and when telling my doctor he doesn't seem concerned, He just thinks I am too young for anything like this, but never did a CT or MRI or anything to find out, and I am in so much pain now,,I am 36 years old, my dad was 68 when he died and his dad was only 36.. also when I turn my head I feel and hear a crackling sound,,please help me,,thanks so much  
Hi...it seems there are more and more people who have what we all are describing.  I would suggest that you make your dr do a CT scan and MRI as that is the only way that you will know what exactly is going on.  I am going to go the dr in January when I get insurance but cant really afford it right now...anyway...I know it is scary because I am scared about it to...mine isnt hurting every day but just comes and goes.  If you do go to the dr, please let us all know how it goes.
There is a belief in Mexico that if you go through a traumatic experience or if you fall, your "soft spot" opens up again like when you were a baby. This causes you to become nervous, anxious, etc. I would not have believed this if I didn't experience it. When I was ten years old I lived through my first earthquake. I was very scared and could not sleep properly for days. My mother took me to the doctor and they gave me some medicine that would make me sleepy but when I woke up I felt worse than before. Then I over heard one of my aunts telling my mother about the "mollera" which is spanish for soft spot. They took me with an older lady that lifted my soft spot and I instantly felt better! I have always wondered how this is possible. As I mentioned before, I would not have believed it if somebody told me. Recently I had a scary experience and the same thing happened I could not sleep and I had horrible head aches. I knew it was time to find one of these ladies. Thank God I did! I have felt so much better and my head feels light. I know this is hard to believe but I wanted to share my experience. Best of luck to everyone.
Relax. I've got the same thing.

What everyone is describing is what sounds to be Parietal emissary foramen. Don't panic, not everyone has this unique condition.

What it is (from wikipedia) "At the back part of the parietal bone and close to the upper or sagittal border is the parietal foramen, which transmits a vein to the superior sagittal sinus, and sometimes a small branch of the occipital artery; it is not constantly present, and its size varies considerably." Here is a great link showing the indented skull as described:

http://www.geocities.com/akramjfr/emsry_parietal.html

Hope this helps everyone, I've been trying to locate info on this for weeks.
Is that a serious health issue, or what, is are heads just as strong as the rest of are skull, or is it weak. Please write back. Thank You
I was finally able to go see a dr about my soft spot that is on the back of my head near the top on the left side.  I have a large indention where it is very sensitive to the touch. My dr said that it is not unusual as no one's skull is perfect and he has seen this before.  I was sent for a CT of my head and all came back normal.  I am having headaches in the back of my head around where my soft spot is but we have determined that I have a pinched nerve in my neck that is affecting the muscles/nerves that go from the neck up to the back of the head.  Fixing to start PT on my neck and getting massages...it is all starting to feel alot better.  Hope this helps...
No, its just the way the skull forms, did you follow the link I posted? Its an indent to carry a vein or something. Do some research on Parietal emissary foramen. Heed my advice, if you think you have something different, and it may be, go see a doctor, im an electrician, NOT a doctor :)
So happy to know that I am not the only one with this dent issue on my head. I notice mine when I was about 16 years old. I did see a Dr. for this, but I was put on display as if I was a test monkey, the Dr. called in interns,everyone was just looking at me, however they did a ct scan and everything was normal. I then had this complex growing up that I was not like other teenagers, and I will never speak of it again. Well that all changed I am now 31 years old, I have been married for 3 years, and have a 16month old son. I told my husband about this dent in my head 2 years ago, he felt it and ask if I fell and hit my as a child, I told him no. We then went to see our family dr. the dr. was a little surprised by the dent however he said that he has never seen anything like it, he never brought up the fact that it could be an adult soft spot, He wanted me to go see a dermatologist that was a friend of his, but I declined and figured I have been living with this, for awhile so it may not be to bad. His nurse then assumed because I was of a different race, that maybe I wore tight braids. I told her that I did not put my hair in tight braids, my hair is very long,so I would put it up in ponytails,So fast forward to today 02/06/09. I have notice that this indention in the middle(close to the back) of my head feels very tender to the touch,I often have my husband massage my head because it aches at times. Or if I press real hard on it, or around it, it feels like I am touching a nerve, and then there is a sensation that shoots to my right ear. I sometimes part my hair where the crease (or dent) is and I could put the tip of my finger nail in it. Sorry it sounds weird, but maybe someone else has this same issue, or close to it. Often I've notice that it takes me awhile to remember the smaller things, like where did I put the car keys?.I did tell the Dr. all of this, he figured that it's a change that a woman get's after she has had a baby. Yeah right. Well I feel like people here understand God Bless.
This is so, so weird - I'm so glad I found this page as I've been worried for some time. I have been wondering about a dent in the top of my head on the right hand side, just below the top of my head...it seems to be getting more deep as I get older (I'm a 32 year old woman). Someone told me it could be I have fractured my skull in the past and not known it - this sounds very, very silly but apparently very common - and the skull heals itself over time but you still have a dent. I just want reassurance that this dent isn't dangerous to me. I guess the best thing to do is see my Doctor, right?
My daughter was born with out a soft spot and I was told that was normal. At the age of 13 she got a dent on the top of her head which look and felt just like a babys soft spot.  I took her to the doctor who asked if she had gotten hit in the head and we said no. He then did an mri and said everything looks fine.  When my daughter gets her headached this spot acually gets 3x the size and it hurts her. When she feels fine the size go back to normal (like a quarter size).  It has me worried because how can your skull expand and the shrink and doctors tell u that they see nothing wrong.  When it expands u can feel around it and it is very soft.  when it shrinks the area around feels like a hard skull again.   Please help..  She is 15 now.
apparently when i was being born, i was being very difficult and hitting my head while still inside during the birthing process. They actually had to pull me out and all of this caused my head to be a little pointy at the top. I have a smaller soft spot on top of my head, in the same spot as a childs would be, (where the metopic suture forms). Ask your parents if you were difficult being born, im not a doctor, but it seems like that may be the reason for my spot. HOWEVER, my spot is not sensitive, i dont experience migraines, and it never pains me. My aunt gets insane migrains but has no soft spot, remember that they arent always connected. And to everyone, ask your friends and folks, share your stress. just because your an adult doesnt mean you bear all your worries alone. Your not crazy! youre just not a doctor. if your symptoms arent serious, relax a bit. If you need the peace of mind, and from the sounds of these posts some of you do (and thats nothing to be ashamed of), go to the doctor, and tell him you want the CT scan. He/She WILL tell you its  awaste, BUT if you discover its nothing, and you stop worrying about it, and you can once again happily eat frosted flakes and wash your car (not simultaneously of course, thats dangerous ;)) without worrying about your spot, then its been very productive in my opinioin.
i forgot to mention that i too suffer from lifetime allergy realted sinus issues, which according to Eyeains post may also contribute to my heads pointyness.
All I want to know is if I get into a fight and get hit directly in that spot that it will not kill me, and that it is just as strong as the rest of my skull and everyone elses SKULL.
So you have a soft spot on your skull too!    RELAX   I am 85 years old and have had a soft spot for I don't know
how long.  I lead a very active, productive life. I don't have headaches.  I don't smoke or drink, and don't miss
these things. So quit your worrying.   BOB
I finally was able to go see a neurologist concerning the dent in the back of my head.  As soon as he felt of it he knew exactly what it was.  He said it is calcifications on my skull.  He said he was 100% sure of it and that it was not dangerous at all.  He said some people get it and that I am not the first person to come into his office with this sort of thing.  I didnt really understand all that he was saying about how it occurs but it has something to do with when you get any kind of infection in your body or you have a bump or break or anything like that, it is your immune system's response to have calcium in your blood and it clots at the area where the bump/break might be.  Sometimes there is extra calcium in your blood that deposits in other places...not necessarily where you were initially hurt.  I dont know if any of that makes sense...I may not have explained it exactly right but the main thing is that it is nothing to worrry about...I have been having headaches but he said that the dent in my head is not the cause of my headaches.  I have been having alot of neck pain and the headaches are due to the neck strain that I have. SOOOO...I hope this will help all of you.  
How big is your dent, I'm to scared to go to the Dr To see what it really is, Mine does not Hurt or anything. But I shaved my head and it is really bad noticeable, and it scares me when i look in the mirror, i start thinking thats not normal, it is about 3.5in long, about 2.5in wide and about 1in deep, But I think it is getting deeper. I noticed it April Last Year, and have been pushing on it everyday pretty hard since, I'll push on it to see if it feels strong then i'll squeeze the meat on my head together so it feels like it isn't there, I know weird huh. My family says its just the shape of my skull and that it is a fat role on my head, but i can feel the edges of my skull and then where it sinks down. It has been almost a year that i have been fooling with it, and it hasn't killed me yet and it still doesn't hurt, But i can't stop worrying about it. I'm 16 6'5 and 200lbs please help me..
I would definitely go to see your dr. and discuss with your parents about how concerned you are over it.  I went to my Primary care dr and he said it was nothing but did a CT just to make sure...CT was normal but I still wanted more answers so he sent me to a neurologist who also said it was nothing to worry about...he also looked at my CT.  My dent is very noticeable...I havent measured it but it is there and everyone else can feel it as well.  It was noticeable on the CT scan as well, but both drs said not to worry and that it cant kill you.  But as you know everyone is different so PLEASE talk to your parents and have them make an appt.  It is the only way that you can feel better about it all.
Thanks I will do that, but I'm Scarred to go to the Dc.
Is it possible that if you push on your skull long enough it can start to sink down.
This is very wonderful that you can have a worry or a question and go on line and find a forum with just the right topic. My daughter who is 11 and who has Tourette Syndrome has the same type of dent that your all describing. She asked me to look it up and see what it might be. I've had a pediatrician feel it and he didn't seem to worried. She dosin't get headaches, but sometimes I wonder if the Tourettes and the dent have something in common. When she was 3 and I felt this dent I thought that it was her soft spot that never healed. As she gets older and the shape of her head changes it seems to be creeping up a little. God Bless Susan
Hi, I'm a 44 year old woman who has 2 soft sopts on the top back of my head. I was told by my mother the it is an inherited trait through my paternal grandmother's family. I am one of 4 siblings and 2 of us have this. I have 2 sons, they are now 20 & 22. the eldest one also has this trait.When he was about 2 years old he went to an asthma specialist. He was shocked to discover his soft spot when he did the initial exam. He excused himself from the room and returned with several other doctors. They were very excited to see this and were even more thrilled to find that I too had this same trait.It turns out that this is a fairly rare( and unknown) genetic condition that is much more common in the British Isles. One of these men happened to be studying the condition but we were the first people he had seen with it.He asked me to find out how far back this went in the family and where my relatives were from. I could only go back 4 generations, and not every family member has this trait ( aout 50% do).Yes, they hurt when touched, and can cause....
... serious headaches at times. Both my son and I find they seem to grow/shrink at times and we are both very protective of anyone who wants to touch them ( including curious doctors!). If you wer to see an x-ray of your skull it appears lighter and perferated like a spiders web.
REST EASY !!!! The reason nothing shows on MRI's etc... is because this part of your skull is as "hard" as the rest of it. In the "olden days" doctors sometimes would insert a steel plate to reenforce the area. Advancement in medicine proved this to cause many more problems than leaving it be!
I played on many sports teams as did my son (including football ... him, not me), neither of us had any problems. SO, find out if it could be a family trait( its NOT a babys soft spot that did not closeup).... or if past family came from the British Aisles. Mine were from Scotland, which re-enforced the research the doctors we saw were studying.
In conclusion, if this is a condition you may have had since birth, even if not noticed early on. If this is true, as in my case, rest easy and live like its not there... and for heavens sake, quit poking at it if it hurts!!!
If you feel its something new, or if it seems to be changing be sure to seek out your own medical opinion. I am going to be a grandmother this November and we are waiting to see it this family trait is again passed down. My son who's "pregnant" does not have it. Good luck to you all and I hope that my really long note brings peace to most of you.
I too have a spot on my head. It's right below the hairline on the top of my forehead. I have had a small indentation for a long time, but now it's pretty big and my husband noticed it! Did you ever go to the doctor to find out what your spot was? I wrote you because not many actually had a spot as close to mine as you did, so I was really curious to see what the outcome was for you. I'm a little worried...I hope you are OK.
Please respond if you will on the site and I'll check for your answer in the future.
Reading all this I'm no more enlightened than I was before. Some say this, some say that. Guess it can be from various causes, genetic and otherwise. Evidently more women get this. See this link (the top arrow shows thinning of skull) http://www.learningradiology.com/archives2009/COW%20341-Parietal%20thinning/parthinningcorrect.htm
Wonder if it's actually diet related, as per calcium absorption etc.
Finally, one person with what I've got! I part my hair down the middle of my head, and to the left, parallel to the part, I have what I call a "valley". Maybe "crease" is a better word for it. Either way, it's a dent, and it's freaking me out. It's about an inch and half long.

I know that I haven't had this for very long, as I constantly run my fingers through my hair. I just discovered it a few weeks ago. I too have head aches in that area, but they are generally sudden and quickly disappear.

I'm really freaking out about this! I don't have insurance and I worry that this is serious!
I have the same thing and discovered it about a month ago.  I went to see my GP and she is having me go for a CT Scan tomorrow.  She also took blood work.  I don't have any other symptoms except for this soft spot centered where the top of my head meets the back.  Her first suspicion is Paget's Disease which is treatable.  Read up on it.  I'll post again after my CT Scan and hopefully I'll have a certain diagnosis.
Cleidocranial dysostosis... please search its the cause of OUR soft spot.. its hereditary and from our parents abnormal genes.. no need to worry.. trust in GOD with all your heart and everything will be OK..
I'm back and all is well.  My CAT scan showed a perfectly normal skull thickness and shape.  It was so weird but I saw it with my own two eyes.  I spent quite a bit of time with the radiologist and he said it's definitely not Paget's Disease.  I said, "Why does it feel like I'm pushing on it and there's nothing beneath it?"  He pointed out that for some reason I have an area of tissue over that part of my skull but below the skin's surface. He thinks it's just fatty tissue.  He said I'm just pushing on that tissue and it feels like there's no bottom to it but I'm not even touching my skull yet.  The whole thing is very strange because I don't remember it being there before I discovered it a few months ago.  I am 40 years old now.
My best advice is to just go to the doctor to ease your mind.  I know not everyone has health insurance though.
God wants us to pray to him when we are worried.  Prayer works and God is good.
Just noticed I had a very small dent about a yr ago (Now 30)  at the top back of head. I've never had headaches, migraines, etc and I still don't. In fact, I haven't been sick at all for at least 10 yrs. I'm probably dehydrated a bit though - lots of coffee, not enough water. My guess is that it's harmless but i may check it out eventually.

And if God had all the answers why are you here? Please, go ask your preacher about your dent. Rationality and science trump faith every time. Please keep your fairy tales to yourself.
I've always had a soft spot. in the front center of my head i have a spot about the size of a quarter that never closed. it doesn't give my any problems. I just make sure I wear a helmet when im doing something that could cause my head to be hit. oddly enough, it is in the same exact spot where the doctor stuck a sensor to my head while my mother was in labor with me. it left a mark on my head, and thats exactly where my soft spot is.
I also have a "soft spot" on the top/back of my head about the size of the palm of my hand across. I noticed it a few years ago after sustaining a concussion where I bumped my head after reaching for something underneath a desk... I've bumped my head before in different places and never had a concussion. But when I hit this spot on the back of my head... I stumbled around then was out for 3hrs before anyone knew what was going on. They called an ambulance and I went to the hospital, diagnosed with a concussion. They didn't say anything about a soft spot on my head... My memory, speech, balance were affected for weeks. I was in bed nauseous with a horrible headache for 2 weeks... now if I touch the spot at all even brushing my hair or getting a haircut it's tender, and my headaches seem to stem from there down into my skull.

I don't know what it is. I am afraid of hitting that spot again and suffering another or worse concussion. I have yet to talk to a doctor about it. I feel silly - but it's a genuine concern I need to address. I am a nurse... but I hate going to Doctors... go figure!
wow, i'm SO happy i found this thread. i'm a 19yo female. i recently noticed a large ridge running down the middle of my head that widens towards the back. i allowed my family (none of them have it) to touch it but asked them to stop after i started to feel a bit light headed and a slight headache. i've been worried all week especially after finding out that none of the friends i asked knew anything about it. i'm still going to the doctor but seeing that other people have these sensitive depressions makes me feel a whole lot better. i'm thinking i either still have a soft spot or "Parietal emissary foramen". i found out about it from a post made earlier. here is the link again
my head feels just like that.
hi I'm 22 and I have noticed I've has the same problem for the last few years, I have never thought of my allergies and sinusitis connecting to the soft spot!! But as I get older I can sleep with my hair tied up or even little brown clips in my hair as it is soo sensitive!! I often get dizzy and feel nausious, but have never went to the doctor about the soft spot! No one else in my family has one nor does any one I know! Do u think I should get it checked out as it doesn't seem normal?? I'm actually shocked to know other people have been on this site via google lol. I thought I was the only adult with a soft spotam
my adult daughter has a soft spot on back of head, dr siad probably cracked skull from childhood. she is going for scan tomorrow.  has Anyone else been told similar told similar. her symptoms sound very much like most of you describe.
I have also noticed recently an indentation on the right side at the top of my skull. I felt it a few weeks ago and have been touching it regularly. Tonight when I felt it, it was even bigger. I am worried! Could this actually be cause from a vitamin deficiency? I hope that is all it is.
I'm 15. I was trying to put my hair in my hairband while cleaning today, and poked my head, and it hurt really bad. It still hurts if poked. Today's the first time I've noticed it. Could it be a soft spot? I've also had blurry vision, dizziness and headaches since. COuld it be a concussion? Help me, please!
im 24 yrs old and for the past year ive noticed my soft spot right above my forehead. has been growing and right where the soft spot is i never grew hair its really weird. i also have bad headaches and i have a bad memory could this be a factor of my soft spot???
I am an african male, I always had my hair cut short.
I also have a small soft dent in back of my head.
I have bad headaches and stress. More stress worse headaches.
I am 36 now I live a single less stressful life. Something told me to google to see if anyone has same issue. And wow I am definately shocked. My mom told me the doctor stated as long as the soft spot dent move I would be ok.
I also noticed when I lived in Arizona no hat + sun+ = horrible headaches.
I have the same indentation which, to my surprise, isn't rare. I went to my doc and he told me that the reason for this is because of a high level of stress. He said that everyone has a soft spot that gets very sensitive and or painful when stress level is high. A friend of mine carries her soft spot under her right big toe, and another one carries hers on her right shoulder. Both of them told me that whenever they are stressed, either from studying for a big exam or family problems, their soft spot gets very sensitive that they can't bear to touch it. My doctor said the indentation is nothing to worry about because he has seen worse than mine and those with the worse ones are as normal as any one else.
I'Ve Noticed a soft spot just below the top of my skull on the back..... I've tried for a long time now to figure out what it is. It seems like when i pull my occipitalis muslce back, the movement of the scalp stops at this very spot.... It might be a Coincidence but i'm convinced there is a relationship between the movement of the galea muslce at the back and the feeling of a soft spot on the skull.... does this sound to crazy? :)
For those of you who have the dent/soft spot on the top of the middle of your forehead like I do, I think i've made a little progress toward finding out what this may be, though I still don't know why. There is something called a "metopic suture" there, a line in the skull that usually goes away in early childhood but in rare cases persists into adulthood. When the suture doesn't close up, it's called metopism. Here is a picture of it: http://images.scran.ac.uk/RB/images/thumb/0180/01800216.jpg
I found one site that says it can be treated with a surgical procedure called cranioplasty: http://www.ooooe.net/article/S1079-2104(06)00111-9/abstract
Also, I believe the headaches and intense local pain that occurs when the soft spot gets touched may result from pressure being put on the unprotected cerebral cortex.
The problem is, I still don't know why the sutures that closed up when we were one or two are suddenly opening up again. It does not seem good. We have to keep trying to figure out what's caused this and not listen to people when they tell us it's normal, because we know it's not.
I'm a 32 yr old female and I noticed my flat spot probably when I was a teen. I may have had it all along but never noticed until I started doing my own hair often as a teen. As I got older I started to notice that it was soft and tender to the touch usually when I have slept on it wrong or tied my hair too tightly.

I have had headaches as far back as I could remember..probably around the age of 7 or 8. The headaches would be so bad that I could not see and I was very light sensitive. I classified my headaches into two different types... the bad painful migraines (that could last for days)  would often happen on the left side of my head and my eye would just feel like popping out. The other type was behind my head where my soft spot was which happened usually if I slept on it or put pressure on it. By the time I was in my 20's, I got a job in a hospital which was the perfect opportunity to find out what in the world was going on with me. Mind you by this time it was not unusual for me to go through a bottle of Excedrin in one week. It really was scary!

It took months of running different tests and doing a CT scan. My CT scan was clear, however they found that I had extremely high blood pressure and probably had this my entire life. Mind you I was 23 yrs old at this point. I've been on hypertension meds ever since and will be for the rest of my life. I was slightly overweight as a kid, athletic as a teen (5'4" 118-125lbs), and back to my weight as a kid when I was in my 20's (5'4" 140lbs). I've had to really revamp my life and learn to decrease my stress levels and improve my health. It was not magic and didn't happen overnight, but gradually I have learned to manage my headaches. I only have them occasionally now and have not had the types of headaches I used to have for about 6 years now. I also owe a lot of credit to a Holistic Health class that I took in college on "mind over body". I know it sounds corny but I was actually a Finance major and it was a class I took on the whim...boy was it worth it!

Long story short...back to the soft spot...please don't freak out and think the worse scenario. There are so many causes for headaches and it is frustrating no one has the answers.  If there were answers, then there would be cures for headaches, right? Everyone is different and headaches can be caused by a million different things including sinus problems/allergies, high blood pressure, genetics, etc. In most cases, it is a combination of factors as with me.

I still can't pinpoint what caused what..the headaches, the blood pressure, genetics, weight problems, allergies, my diet,  etc...I've given up trying to figure it out because a doctor can only speculate what the causes are and a lot of it is trial and error. As a certified medical assistant myself, I suggest to everyone that you take advantage of your medical insurance or any access to medical you can get to make sure you are screened for the important stuff - a full physical, a full blood work up, and a referral to a neurologist (which I got). Be brave...honestly you have to take charge and be a ***** if you have to be to get answers you need.

Once you get the clean bill of health from your doctor, begin to keep logs of symptoms you may have including time, place, day, location. If there is a pattern, there may be a solution. ( I lived in a very foggy city for a couple of years during which my headaches were the most debilitating. I moved away to a sunnier place and improved 10 fold. Occasionally when it is overcast my head WILL hurt and I'm always prepared for it). Check with family members to see if there is any history of medical issues. (My dad had a stroke and has had hypertension issues forever). And last, the best way to aid any type of health problem you may have...even mysterious ones...is to revamp your lifestyle! It genuinely is like a domino effect (your body) and I've learned in my class that when you aim to improve your entire self and control your body, the stress goes down, the headaches decrease, the blood pressure improves, your mood goes up, body aches less, etc. In the end it really doesn't matter whether the headaches caused the stress or vice versa. In general good things you do for yourself affect your body as a whole.

Hope that gives people some ideas. Sorry for the blatant Holistic Health promo lol. I'm not usually a believer in all that mumbo jumbo but it helped me quite a bit. As for my soft spot..it still is tender when I touch it hard but my CT's were fine so I'm not too worried now that my headaches seem pretty unrelated to the spot. Since so many of us have this "problem" I guess we are just special.
Why dont doctors have more information on this?  It seems quite common and it gives people anxiety.  Although I think I need to see a doctor about mine because its pretty big, and there is a indentation that runs from the dent to the top of my head.  Its really painful too.  I have had it since i can remember and the thing is, is that when I was four my dad (who is mentally ill and had violent out bursts) threw me across a room and I hit my head really hard on a wooden chair and Im wondering if this has anything to do with it.  I have headaches almost every day, but I also have TMJ thanks to my dad.  When I ask people about the flat spot and they feel it they get grossed out and freak out...even my fiance.  I have had a lifetime of difficulty learning, and paying attention and I guess like everyone else im just looking for answers.  Thanks if anyone can help me!
I have a soft spot in the middle of my head also,actually its a dent.Wen u press or play wit it for too long i start to get migrains,not only i cut my hair in september,and now its starting to grow alittle but barley.I dont know wat the problem is but i think its getting worse
I am a 51 year old female.  Picture of health, except for now I've found this spot and combined with head aches, memory blips, sometimes I can't find my words or remember names (early onset alzheimer scary stuff), blurred vision that comes and goes.  I made the appointment today.  I recently accepted a very stressful position and I am in great hopes that I'm making much to do about nothing.....however, that spot was not there before all this crap starting happening to me.  My father died last year, he had brain cancer.  So, I am a little freaked.  
after months of waiting for mri scan results ,my doctor  told me the results showed two small gaps in top of  skull were skull hadnt fused together!   he  now wants to get another doctor to have a look at results but says that i shouldnt worry and will have more answers in a months time. i just want to know if this is why im getting cluster headaches, and terrible memory,also why is there not more information on this?
hi my15 year old son just brought this to my attention too as he has a soft spot on the back right hand side of his head too, he doesnt suffer from headaches or anything but itvseems very worrying so i am bringing him to our gp on monday and get some tests done as i have never heard of this before and just looked it up on the internet tonight. hope its nothing but its very alarming to me as i havent heard of this before ever.
Hi,you are doing right thing getting him checked at doctors. i had to see my doc a lot of times before i was taken serious,because basically no one (even doctors) seem to know a lot about this but as long as you persist,(i even printed information from the internet,such as this to show my doctor so they had better info on what i was worried about) then i was taken seriously. am sure he will be ok just for peace of mind best get checked.
Okay, just got back from neurologist.  Good news I don't have Alzheimers and there's no sign of cancer in my brain.  MRI results did show lacunar infarct pens (microscopic stroke),  I have a spot behind my left eye that I have to have checked out, the skull soft spot is still in question, looking at Paget's Disease, although my lab tests and x-rays don't indicate it   Still looking........  
In the area where you have your dent does your scalp feel abnormal as in wavy or lumpy. In my case the right side of my head where i dont have the dent the scalp feels firm and when i run my hand down it it feels normal but when i run my hand down the left back side of my head where i have the dent my scalp feels loose and lumpy and thick. Also at the top of my head where i have the dent it is slightly taller then the right side but it feels that this is so because of the thick scalp on that side of my head.
I hit my front part of my head into a door (near the hairline).  so hard, i was not sure what just happened.  a couple of weeks later i noticed a dent in the back of my head.  i dont think it's a soft spot because i can still feel my skull.  it is about the size of a 50 cent piece.  i have had severe head aches for 4 weeks straight.  no relief.  i have had an mri of brain, ct of head, xray and mri of neck.  nothing showing up concerning this new discovery.  in lots of pain.  will be getting other opinions this week.
I have the same problem. Mine started two months ago. It's kind of hard for me to miss since I shave my head. I stopped eating meat 4 months ago. Animal fats are how we get vitamin A&D, essential for absorbing calcium. I'm assuming that my little trip down "meatless" lane has led me here. I will start supplementing with a better multi-vitamin. If that doesn't do the trick I will have to resort to eating meat. I'm not letting this get worse.
Im 23 and I to have and indent ontop of my head it starts from the top of my head. 3inch long and 2inch wide and kinda deep.  I noticed it about 6 years ago, but its gotting way bigger .  I just started to get really bad headaches every day they never go away.  I have also been getting dizzy and having a hard time remmbering things, also my eyes feel like they are puffy from all this pain..  I cant see a doctor yet because I dont have any health care.  Its scarry because its getting bigger and im in more pain..  wish i new what it was......
Mannn this **** is weird that so many ppl have the same issue... I have a lil dent to and I also have blurred vision and migranes (migraines).. it is so so scary at times I wish I knew wat it was.. Dr. Said its muscle strains and my neck Dats causing the headaches... Idk.. I pray for the best and prepare for the worse
If you have a soft spot just like a babies. I am 21 yrs old and i get a massage from my mother she knows how to massage my head and it feels better. Its a midwifes tale but it works. I have seen plenty of doctors no reall response. Soft spot is something you have since your a baby so its not something you just got its very long term. As an infant your cranium may not have completely close and forms this soft spot that is sensitive. Causes headaches and loss of appetite or it may be difficult to swallow. If you have this always consult your doctor. Also if  the roof of your mouth is sore or you feel like its dropped like a lump on the roof of your mouth this is an indication of a fallen mollera. Its due to rough movement with your head due to your soft spot being sensitive to movement you will suffer from this as well. but what helps is to not pull your hair when brushing, do not lay on high pillows when you sleep or suck out of straws or on lollipops for it causes suction creating more pressure. Hope this helps.
im 16 and I've had this soft spot in the upper middle of my head for as long as I can remember. The soft spot is pretty big to me (about the size of my pulm and the start of my fingers). I showed it to my parents and they seem not that much worried about it. I am alittle young but for what I have read it's suppose to disapear a yr after your born. So im sitting here thinking wth happen to me? Am I a late bloomer or something.....all though Im FAR past late. I do get migraines but so does my mother. And I also have ALLLLLOOOOOTTT of allegies but I dont think that has anything to do with the soft spot on my head. I cant tell you if it is tender to the touch because I just got my hair braided and...well my whole head is tender at the moment but I would surely check when it loosens up alittle. So really can a dr or a speciales please comment and tell me wth this is????????
I just found that soft spot on the back of my head too. When I sit on the bed with my laptop I rest my head on the wall, and it's right where this soft spot is. Today it's sort of achy. I'm seeing that most of the other people on here have headaches, and I have horrible migraines. I wonder if they are related somehow.
as i have seen their are many people with this issue i am 25 a mother of three and stay very active i noticed the spot around may of this year i have sever migranes (migraines) my nose will start bleeding out of the blue and now the spot is getting bigger and kinda making a line down the back of my skull i cant even lay on my back because it hurts to touch it could it be just the allergies i have moved to a new state and i think it might be just getting use to the evironment but my head kills me i have seen a dr and they did a scan and didnt seem to worry about it but is their anything i can do for the headaches instead of just taking some tylenol and migrane (migraine) meds
Everyone has these "soft spots".  They are normal...do a search for pressure points on the head. They are actually pressure points that you can press to help your headaches.  You headaches are not caused by them but people with migraines probably notice them more because when we get one we will rub our head...so we are mire likely to feel these contours on our head.   Google pressure points on head.  If you have continuous symptoms or blurred vision / dizzy spells you need to be seen by a physician.  Noted all the above symptoms can be relates to migraines as well.
I've got a soft spot on the left top middle part of my head!!! I just found it when I had a sudden burning feeling I touched it and it felt like a hole! It really freaked me out! Now it's hurting me maybe because I keep poking my fingers in! I'm scared to see the doctors! Does anyone know what this is yet? Please.
I just came back from the doctor about the same type of indentation you are describing.  She explained it was like a baby's soft spot but nothing to worry about.  I mentioned that if I put pressure on it, it caused pain.    She said that the skin covering there is not as thick and for me NOT to press on it.  She also said that taking Xanex would help the area relax.  I was very worried when I discovered the dent, knowing it hadn't been there before, but I am now reassured that nothing is wrong.  Of course I had feared the worse and thought the dent was a rarity as I had never heard anyone else mention it, but I see now from these posts that it is common.
hey i am a 23 year old male, healthy.  I have a dent in the back of my head to where the fontanelle would be.  I dont have headaches and i want to get this thing cosmetically filled in. how can this be done and where do i go to start this ?

thanks really want to fix this thing so i can shave my head and feel proud!
Wow I m16 and I have this soft spot too. Im kinda worried now im, I never get headaches but my symptoms are similar to those listed here.I have a 2inch flat spot on the top if my head,and its kinda soft and sensitive.I never thought any thing of it because my dad has the exact same thing
Okay so I'm 15 and the back of my head is  TOTALLY FLAT. I mean It's like the back of my head is a cliff. Please is there any way to make the back of your head not flat anymore I get made fun of all the time and everytime I look at myself sideways in the mirror it puts me in a bad mood. I want the back of my head to have a curve. I heard that baby's heads are soft when they are first born and stay that way for a year, and that they need to wear a helmet to keep the curve in the back of their head and/or sleep with their heads sideways. I've been on a bunch of web questions posted by people with the same issue as me but I REALLY need help. Is there any thing that can temporarily make your head cartilage soft so you can reshape the back of your head or something? Please I'm desperate. Thanks for reading and/or answering.
I have just found a soft on my head and Googled and this came up. It was making my head hurt when I touched it and it felt as tho I had a mosquito bite(bump) right in the middle of the soft spot. My head is shaved so put an ice pack on it for a couple of minutes. As I am typing this and feeling for the same spot..it is not soft and the pain has faded significantly. I have suffered from migraines since I was about 10, I'm 30 now. It freaked me out and I'm kinda worried. I'm amazed how many of us have similar things happening to us. If anyone finds out anything please post. I know I'm 4 years late but an issue is an issue. Good luck to us all.
I have a similar are on the back of my head & I also experience the "black out" feeling.  The "black out" feeling could be related to postural hypotension related to reduced fluid intake.
I'm a 34yr old black female. I always knew I had a dent in my head but never knew what it was. I saw my dic this year and they told me I have a hole in my skull that never closed. My brain is only covered by skin. I was just thinking I survived  8 yrs in army, 1yr in Baghdad, 2 brothers, rape, and abuse, hair pins from hairstyles, and a brain AVM and not once did my brain get injured.
I know this is an old post, but my mom sounds like she has something similar. she is geting a cat scan, but what happened with you.  Hope all is well!
I have had a soft spot on the back of my head from birth I am 55 now and still have it and never had any problems
have you figured anything out? my son has this!
I have a soft spot or indentation i noticed about 6 month ago on the top right rear of my skull. about 1 inch behind my ear and 3 or 4 inches up. my right ear seems to ring sometimes too. I have also had sinus issues for the past year or so and I'm beginning to think the sinus pressures are affecting my skull. I am going to a doctor soon for a CT scan and am going to do a nasal cleanse i found online that involves distilled water, sea salt, collodial silver, and chlorophyll. I am almost positive it has to do with the sinuses because after a day when i got into a huge screaming argument my sinuses were horrible as hell and the dent got a tad deeper and wider, scaring the **** outta me and forcing me to go to a doctor. No results yet, in the middle of changing docs because the last one knew nothing helpful.
BUT... I have also been lactose intolerant for the past few years too and am thinking the decrease in calcium and vitamin d might have been a contributing factor. I do tend to get very dehydrated sometimes too, and i know there are many fluids and layers in the skull. there is a layer of protective tissue UNDER the skin, but OVER the skull, and I am wondering if this is the layer that is being affected.
the dent sometimes painfully tingles, gives me goosebumps all over and just makes me mentally sick.
I'm almost positive this is all sinus related, I never had these issues before hanging with a friend who has horrible sinuses. I am 25 yr old male, skinny but I am healthy. it also feels like i have some kind of a knot forming down by the base of my skull in the same area, and after just barely pushing and messing with both for a while, my sinuses are now acting up, ONLY in my right nostril. WTF... i'm gonna go drink a bunch of lactose free milk, do a sinus cleanse to rid of all bacteria, clean the hell outta everything i own, bathroom, new toothbrush, new pillows... i was even thinking it could have been scalp ringworm so i tried putting creams on my dent and it didn't do anything. I have even thought of maybe I have parasites, as i occasionally eat sushi and I have heard horror stories of brain parasites and the issues they can cause. Anyways, I hope some of this info helps somebody and I'm comin back here once i get my CT scan and rest my worries that i have a brain cyst or something like "water on the brain"
Oh yeah, I also had a ton of tests ran recently for some GI issues and my blood tests came back negative for anything so that made me feel a ton better... best of luck to all, and if you have sinus issues, time to look into cleaning that huge hole in your head that makes up our sinuses.
If you are suffering from headaches or migraines, find a good Bowen Therapist and ask them to use the Migraine Procedure developed by
Peter Short of New Zealand. It solves migraines all the time.

I am a 33 year old female. My soft spot seemed to just appear a few many years back. It is on the crown of my head (parietal lobe). It is egg shaped and approximately egg sized, as well. I am definately not able to touch it. When I do bump it directly with any force I get an instant concussion, puking, loss of balance, and all. Even barely rubbing it will make my stomach turn & I'll feel nauseous for a good many minutes. I have definately had numerous blows to the head throughout my life, although I've never gone to the hospital for them, concussion or not.  It would not surprise me to learn I had  had multiple, minor skull fractures throughout my life, but this is different. It just seemed to appear one day. I tend to half-joking, blame it on aliens though, this truely would not surprise me either.
I have a sensitive spot on my head that is tender to the touch, gives me major headaches and I can't concentrate well. Especially if I bump it or even massage it.
This is really scary how many of us are going through the same thing. I noticed that I had a dent on top of my head a few years ago but thought it was from wearing my sunglasses on top of my head for too long. I changed that idea when it was still there the next day. Now years later I've been having issues with daily headaches, sudden depreciation in vision including night vision, gait issues, anxiety and extreme exhaustion. I noticed that the dent got bigger and deeper and more tender too. I don't like nor trust the doctors where I'm currently living they all seem to have graduated at the bottom of their classes no lie. It's truly scary and unnerving. I wish we had some answers here but as weird as it sounds, it's kind of comforting, (but not really) to find out that I'm not alone with this issue.
I just started noticing my soft spot on my forehead. I'm a 28 year old healthy female.  I received a  reflexology massage last year and I remember the massage therapist push hard on my forehead.  I didn't notice the indentation until I took a rent picture weeks ago.  I'm scared... What if he caused it? I don't usually get headaches,  but I do have a high stress,  fill my calendar with multiple tasks type of life style.
Its ok folks its the next evolutionary step for the human . We have genes that can be turned on or off. The next step is full head development .My head is opening up at the back of my head as well ,its now 4 inches long and about an inch wide.Its caused by the pineal gland turning on and causing a release of a hormone that melts the skull so the head can expand.
You just have to look at the skulls they have found from ancient civilisations to see that it has happened before.
Other symptoms you may get is a tingling feeling in your hands, we call that the fizz. Thats ok as well it is also a healing force.Also you may find increased clairvoyance and a  sense of well being.If you want to know more best contact the Emin society which has been  into this stuff for years and years.
I was told by some Chinese traditional masseur about d soft spots behind my skull. It's somewhere near the bottom of the skull area and it is the whole bottom where I often get headaches which started from the shoulder , neck and up to my head usually one sided sometimes both sides. My left side feels bulge like some nerves were bulging out when the headache presents. Otherwise it's just some small bulge which also could be felt with hands, none of the specialists know what's wrong and I've been seeing chiropractors for 2 years now for my sudden weird symptoms - dizzy, blurred vision, head feels heavy n filled with water feeling, shoulder and neck pain + discomfort of my stomach and nausea.

Stomach discomfort n nausea were gone now, dizziness has improved though not 100%. And now getting massage therapy for my muscles by a Chinese traditional masseur, and he was concern of the soft saclp at the back of my skull. And told me in their believe its water / fluid that had been stucked or blocked it for a long time. I forgotten what's the term of it, u know there's a layer of thin protection for our brain what's that call? From my Chiro point of view is that my cranial bones have shifted slightly of coz, that caused the fluid to stuck there not able to flow properly hence I get headaches n dizziness and sinuses problems. In Chinese tcm point of view, they called it rheumatism? Something like water accumulated at the back of skull - which was due to wet hair, and the body system not able to drain the fluid properly down, well both western n eastern had similarity when they explain to me It seems like they came down to the cause - water - and the combination of both their explaination makes good interpretation.

How to help - get ur cranial bones adjusted by professional chiros. Some do cranial therapy and each time cranial work really helped! The root cause is likely due to trauma to the head before, that caused the bones to be easily shifted, be it a small fall or blow to the head or spine.
Oh ya and maybe some good traditional masseur could help? I guess they are all related - muscles, nerves, bones, spine, ligaments and tendon. They all need to be functioning well in order to support the spine hence the brain could receive good signals to inform our body of what to do.
I've had the same thing at the very top of my head...soft spot and while painful it's sore. I don't get headaches and have normal stress but it's like an 8th wonder ...what is it... it's just not normal.
This forum is only making me more worried.
Did you have the ct scan? What did you find out?  I have chronic headaches, blurred vision , vision disturbances and just found a dent in my skull that feels like a soft spot.  I was wandering if you could enlighten me.
     thankyou for giving the metaphysical explanation...I agree...I recently noticed the posterior fontanelle..and in some folks its more open...I believe it means we are more open to higher Self and subtle energies, and we need to protect it more to avoid stress and headaches..  grow hair long and coil it on top of head where opening is....look at the yogis  they where turbans for a reason...do it at home instead.....this opening is our connection to God and our Godself..treasure it..cover it and slow down, meditate and relax

listen to your body...you can feel more bliss and joy then the average person if you dont mix in with all vibes, crowds, etc,   love self and spend time alone and in short periods of silence..we are evolving as a species and just have to cooperate with nature and the cosmos....It wants us to open and channel the loving energy..it has chosen you!   If you resist you will obtain headaches, etc.   Walk in nature and pray..feel gratitude, be near water...rest often   This is the Age of Aquarius  and time to wake up!!      The worst you can do to self is CT scan..huge dose of radiation to brain.!!..use seaweed to try to heal from CT and special clay baths to draw out poisonous radiation

Bless you all with open fontanelles...I have it too!