Air/Gas bubbles in the vagina?
Over the last few months I've found that I've become uncomfortable - for some strange reason, it feels like there are air or gas bubbles sitting in my vaginal canal. I am 22 and only 'active' with myself currently. I have not gained or lost any weight or had any other health concerns.

Simply, one day when I went to bed I realised I felt uncomfortable, like there was a small air or  gas bubble inside my vagina, only 3-4 inches in. I try to shift around and nothing happens, and I've even tried to open my canal with my fingers and nothing happens. Sometimes it's hardly there and I'm able to ignore it, other times it drives me utterly insane with the strange feeling. There is no pain, but it just feels incredibly wrong. It seems to grow a bit more persistant before my period (I've been on the pill for 8 years), and is really not noticeable during.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how to relive this discomfort, I would greatly appreciate it. I've got a doctor's appointment scheduled late next month, but it's incredibly frustrating to feel like you've got a gas bubble stuck in there while you're trying to settle in to sleep. There is only a slight occasional odor, nothing more than normal, I tend to get minor yeast infections every 6 months or so, though I haven't had one since the summer. No discharge to make note of, either. I do have a dairy allergy so I can be gassy, is it simply possible that when I fart the gas bubble somehow travels up into my vagina and lodges in there?
Gas is most often caused by excessive bacteria particularly when there is no direct contact introducing air.  really important to wash hands with soap and wash your bits after using the toilet - mild baby soap is good as it wont dry or irritate the vagina.  Even if you shower daily the folds of the skin around the vagina wont be clean unless you are very thorough when showering.
Bacteria on the skin can produce pretty nasty smells and when that bacteria is internal can produce excessive gas and asymptomatic infection.  It would be prudent to go to your doc and rule out chlamydia.  If there is no infection present there are other helpful natural aids.
Make sure you drink 2 litres of water daily - bacteria thrive in warm conditions with too little moisture.  Increasing your water intake will favour your bodys friendly bacteria instead.  Cut down on fizzy and very cold drinks.  Have a look at what you eat every day and get nutritional advice if you have tried the above and there is no change.  
Since you are very young - have not had a baby or surgery this problem is less likely to have a physical cause such as a fistula [opening] internally from the anus to the vagina.  If a fistula existed there could be leakage of feces into the vagina as well.  adamin
OK so could anal experimenting cause the fistula...Like noting to weird just normal stuff and also I have a toy fairly small made for that...But it has been forever since we have even played around ?? It just seems like when I push to poop it pushes the vagina bubble .
I'm only noticing Bubbles now in a minor way, because i think I may be pregnant for the first time. I keep hoping it's my period, but it's only air. I hope I'm just having a major bout of PMS, because now is not a good time! But my other experience is: Man is too small and tries to over-compensate with a lot of creative movement... therefore he pushes lots of air in there. Men cannot change their size, and they (hopefully) aim to please... but it's kinda nobody's fault, and he may be used to the "outcome." I just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Well all this talk is more technical than it needs to be I agree it fells nasty .I notice when i have drink milk I get gasy and somtimes the gas travel the wrong way. we are women and more OPEN thean men.
I think the gas just travels up your crevases and out the front expecaily if your sitting down.

Hope this helps
No I think it fine and if you don't like it don't read it first of all and second you are talking about a fart from being lactose intolerant and Indulging In dairy any way slipping from your hinny up your coot and making bubbles not the same as a bubble traped In your vagina.
I did tell my doctor about this bubbles phenomenon. He immediately told me that it is caused by bacteria and advised me to use evey 7-10 days a vaginal douche of 1.5 - 2 glasses of water with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.  I use boiled ( and cooled ! ) water, to be on the safe side.
I think it helps a lot , although does not eliminate the bubbles totally.
I get this. I noticed that it was worst right after a shower. I was told by a friend who is an RN that it is pretty common. She said it is the walls of the urethra that are too dry, so they make uncomfortable contact with one another, causing a little friction that feels like an air bubble. It is not really air, but two areas of your vaginal touching, creating a nagging discomfort. You just have to wait it out. I know this sounds weird, but I try to masturbate in order to lubricate the area, and this alleviates it for me. Good thing this is anonymous lol
im 17, a virgin, and never been to a gyno. i used to get the bubbles every once in a while and the longest one i ever had lasted about an hour. but yesterday i got one and it has not gone away yet!! i was up until 6 in the morning last night fidgeting trying to get it away that i forced my self to take nyquil to finally get some sleep. AND ITS STILL THERE!! It is driving me crazy!! Ive read this whole forum and tried all the positions to try and push it out and nothings worked!! PLEASE someone help me! i go to an out of state university and am leaving on sunday so their really isnt time to visit a gyno. please any suggests??!!
Im 18 and just started experienceing something quite like that only i dont ever have to 'squeeze' them out. The air bubbles usually just come out whenever but its really annoying!! I dont know if i should be concerned about this or if its just 'normal' Its different from a 'queef' because u usually hear those air bubbles after sex or during sex. But i can just be walking around and it just come out silently. Along with some milky discharge. :/
whenever u get to whatever school u r going to look up the local health units and make u an appointment there. i have the same problem, but not as bad as you are describing, but i think its just gas. are u normally a gassy person?
Ok so I've never had this air in the vagina problem until recently...during sex and it's embarrassing...how can I make it go away? I don't even want sex now!!!
I think you are talking about something completely different. A quief air that gets in while having sex and being pushed out by him or when you push is normal, most guys like it and I don't think there is a way to eliminate it. Just shrug it off hunny everbody that has ever thrown a leg up or got on all fours has done it. You could forever do it missionary but that's boring...
I am 17 and a virgin and I am having the EXACT same problem as you it's driving me mad
I am so thankful to have found this thread, and to find out that I am in fact NOT alone.  I just thought I was "broken" somehow and how on earth would I ever explain this to a doctor w/o him looking at me like I had lost my mind.  I have no suggestions for anybody out there, but I just wanted to add to the thread to let each of ya know that there is in fact another woman out there just like you!!!!  I have NEVER EVER posted any comment on anything before, and just felt compelled to on this topic for some reason.  I know this is such an embarassing topic, and am so thankful to each and every one of you that have had the courage to post your experiences here, that you gave me the courage to do the same thing.  I do intend to try the lifting the leg suggestion in just a bit.   Sure hope it does the trick, but if not, then it is off to the doctor that I go!!!!  Best of luck ladies, and thank you again each from the bottom of my heart for sharing!!!!!!!!
I have a similar problem, when i have a doggy stile position. I don`t experience any pain during intercourse, but after this i am in pain for whole day. I feel very gassy. I am intense. My whole abdomen hurts! I was in ER once and they didn`t even find anything(I had a CT) I had a fever couple of times. What is it? I have no idea. I don`t have any infections. My Gynecologist looked inside and everything was fine.
Somebody said that it can be leakage from the rectum. I think it is a problem i am having. I had a big child(9 pounds) 14 months ago. I was pushing for 11 hours but finally had a C-section.
health101455 can u tell me how your mother problem with leakage? was fixed? And how they diagnosed that? Ths!
I normally get this after holding my urine for a long time. It feels like the gas is bursting through my vagina even my anal too.  I feel bloated and have a weird pain thingy below my abdomen.  Can't have sex during this time.  If I do I usually squeeze where Ifeel the pain during the intercourse so I won't feel it.  During intercourse it feels like someone is poking u hard with a stick. When the gas finally decides to come out I get an irritating pain in my virgina.  I wish there was a cure for this.
obviously you dont go to an obgyn or youd know that douching causes problems not helps them and its not nasty although some of the comments are i have had this problem myself and when it happens so much and you explain it to your dr and they have no clue what your talking about thats when people turn to places like this i think hoping to find answers and people with the same problem so they dont feel insane and hoping beyond hope that someone has the answer untill you have an issue with your body that no one has an answer for and that issue causes you to be really put out and uncomfortable then you should refrain from making comments about somthing you know nothing about and for the record ladys it is most likely bv as stated by more then a few others i went to the dr told her of the problem she looked at me like i was insane while she was out i started reading flyers in the exam room i had never heard of bv but i asked for the test sure enough i had it i took the pills it went away and so did the feeling of something in the v canal i think that perhaps the symptoms of this should be amended to include this oddity  
hi i am 17 and i have had the same problem for about 8-9 months now i have only just recently gone to the doctors about this bubble problem my mum give it the name  of an aero bubble belly lol but i have had the bubble sensation just like you lot i have read the entire blog and would like to thankyou all i thought i was weird anyway i went to the doctors about these bubbles and i also have  headaches which has nothing to do with the bubbles but ... he put me on some antibiotics for the bubbles while he sent of for test results they didnt work so i went back a week later and told him about my headaches he prescribed me some more antibiotics called (metronidazole) my bubbles have seem to have gone im am just finifhing the course of a 14 tablet course and they havent seemed to be around from about the 3rd day so i would consult your doctors about them tablets but i am also on headache tablets but there more for muscle tension or something like that it got me wondering if they could be loosening muscles in that area or something so ask about them aswell (diclofenac sodium) i hope this is any help to you areo bubble bellys lol if they come back i will be sure to try the methods of sitting in different positions and stuff so thank you very much iv been refered to a specialist in the next 2-3 weeks so if the come back before then i will keep you posted on what the specialist says thank you guys you have been a great confident boost on me not thinking im the only one

thanks xxxxxxxx
hi am 22...

i hve experienced the same bubble trap when i was 12 years.... howevr it aggravated during my higher secondary school days. and believe me i actually fart came out of my vagina wen i was in a class yoga session. OMG!!! it was sooo embarassing. none of my friends seem to hve dat... does dis mean dat my hymen is broken.... i honestly wish it has not. i hve nvr had sex....  but my marriage falls next year... could somebody help pls....
Thanks so much, I will sure try the metronidazole because I am very miserable for two years now.  I try to bend my legs but it is on an off.
Nala
thanks but what if you are walking and can not lay.... and it is not like one big one it is bunches of little ones.... (really red faced)
i do get this sometimes,but only usually when my husband and i make love
Don't want to alarm anyone however, I am doing some research for my girlfriend who is also experiencing there symptoms and came across an article that may or may not be relevant to the underlying pathophysiology as the study was done with CT rather than only sensory reports.

Apparently air in vagina can be an indicator of intrapelvic pathology.

Here is the abstract and link to the article.

http://0-www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.catalog.llu.edu/pubmed/2031804

Acta Radiol. 1991 Mar;32(2):170-3.
Air in vagina. Indicator of intrapelvic pathology on CT.
Hadar H, Kornreich L, Heifetz M, Herskovitz P, Horev G.
Source
Department of Radiology, Shatkai Outpatient Clinic, Israel.

"Computed tomography of the normal female pelvis may show the presence of a tiny air bubble within the vagina. Among 2,800 female abdomino-pelvic CTs, 27 were found to contain large amounts of intravaginal air. Twenty-three patients suffered from pelvic malignancy while in 4, non-tumorous pelvic pathology was present. Detection of air bubbles in the vagina is abnormal and indicates, in the majority of cases, an intrapelvic malignancy."

I have not been able to get the journal online, but will go the my university library to do some more research on the topic. However, my two cents are that it would be more likely that either endogenous or exogenous intravaginal flora are forming gases as a byproduct of their natural metabolism, be it aerobic or anaerobic.
You've been on the pill since you were 14??? Jesus, woman, that's just wrong. I get them too, but they come out. I haven't had sex in years, and I haedly diddle myself. I wonder what it is.
Thank you for sharing.  I too have had this problem for many months.  I am 58 and have been celibate for quite a few years.  It means a lot to many others suffering from something like this that you've all taken the time to share an awkward problem that seems too insignificant to trouble your doctor with.  It creates a nagging worry and discomfort that something must be amiss.  It is logical that gases are created where there is bacteria so having read all the messages left here - I've now made an appointment for a smear test..something I've been putting off for some time now.  It's a process of elimination I think so I'll wait and see what the results of that are first before going into further testing.  However, the posting by "HeresHopin" seems a feasible reason so far and indeed, I hope she's correct.  To anyone reading this forum, I'd suggest biting the bullet, taking down all the information you've read here - and going to see your Doctor to at least eliminate potential causes.  That's what they are there to do. No-one has a definite answer so it's the only course of action for peace of mind.
Can that happen to 16 year old virgins? Ive never wore a tampon or had sex and i still have that um..well...gas build-up is that normal? Im embaressed 8
(
This happens to me right before and during my peroid ... I w inder y ?!
I have the bubble feeling. Yesterday I was diagnosed with a stage 3 cystocele. This is the bladder pushing thru a tear in my vaginal wall. It is also called a prolapsed bladder. Glad that I went to the dr.  This cystocele will require surgery. I have already had one bladder tack and it didn't work. Not sure if this is your problem, but a vaginal check by a dr. will tell if this is your problem. Good luck!
Hi, its my first time on...anyways I do know what ur talking about as I do have the same issue as well,...I always ask myself y when my body I'd discharging my vagina sometimes make a bubble sound, I sometime wonder if it normal.....but the good think about it no one can hear it, I only feel it when it occurs....lol..nothing for u to worry about woman r bless....and if ur on the family planning pill it most times change ur body structure.....I have xperience with that as well....
NOT true... Colloidal Silver is an excellent product when used appropriately, A few millimeters a day, not a 20 ounce glass or more as the "blue man" did.

Always do your research before posting or at least question what you say.

Everyone has their opinion about colloidal silver, but trust me, it takes great volumes to accumulate in the body to cause a "blue person".
YES! and it's so uncomfortable and such a turn off when u actually let it out. but, woman do have the weirdest and grossest things happen to them. i just don't know why for us its just a life time of embarrassment! LOL i hate it
yes it does, its called a quiff
omg! i hate these things!! i've had them since i was little. i had a vaginal exam; at that moment i felt my torso and half my body down there 'fill up'. when i got home i was in a lot of discomfort and it ws like that for a while. i didn't like feeling like this as a kid. but in time it went away and didn't come back until i became a teenager and started my menstrual cycle. and i always had an idea that i kinda needed to push it out, but i gave up a long time ago and just thought it would come out on its own! and it did, once i became sexually active and stayed that way for a while, one day it just came out like a volcano!!! lol. i was so glad that tha big one came out because if i get them now its not so ba and they come out easier! :). All i know is i am forever pissed at that doctor who gave me a vaginal exam at such a young age!!! :(  
I have this damn thing and it has got worse since I've had an internal and I told the doctor I did not want it and he still firmly insisted. I'm trying to remember an antibiotic I had before which made it a bit better at least - something like FLAVIA - does anyone know the one I'm talking about?
But otherwise - still hell plus some.
I had to have a complete hysterectomy a couple years ago because of uterine cancer. Thankfully they got it all. Anyway, recently I have made some changes in my food and liquid intake. I started drinking a lot of water to reduce fluid retention as well as cranberry juice to prevent UTI (my doctor suggested it). A couple weeks ago I started experiencing these air bubbles. They tend to just happen when ever, but mostly when I am sitting down or just after I use the bathroom or wash. My doctor seems to think it is just air that gets trapped and has to work its way out. I am in my mid 40's, there is no discomfort just the funny feeling when the air escapes. I have never experienced this previous to my hysterectomy. My doctor said it could also be because of the change my vaginal tissue is going through because of the lack of estrogen. Because of the cancer, I cannot take estrogen supplements. So I just have to deal with it. My doctor did suggest sitting in a warm bath with baking soda, he said this may help.
I'm sorry it's so late but how are you doing now? Bizarrely with the air bubble  thing I thought having a hysterectomy may solve it, now having read your comment of course I've change my mind :-).
So... I know exactly what a queef is and what one feels like. I am 21 weeks and I have had this same sensation for weeks now. My dr told me its due to an increase in vaginal discharge that's normal with pregnancy... At first it scared the **** out of me. I thought I was loseing my baby It felt like a bubble slowly swelling up near my cervex so all I'm thinking is oh god its a gush of fluid my worst nightmare. After inspection I noticed just an increase of discharge.. And nothin more. Just ask your dr you will feel better.: )
17 and also a virgin, I was wondering this too
I have been having this problem for about a month and a half now. I looked on this site, but did not find solutions much help. Realize there is a difference between a bubble you can push out and one that never goes away. This causes uncomfortable feelings when sitting or sleeping. I felt a lot of insomnia because I could not get rid of this feeling. If it does NOT go away, please go to your doctor and mention bacterial vaginosis. I looked up these symptoms before and figured it wasn't possible. But here's the thing, bacterial vaginosis is an imbalance in pH in your vagina. The bacterial may be reaction to a change by increasing in numbers from certain symptoms such as ***, menstrual blood, and douching. Also, you do NOT have to have sex to have bacterial vaginosis. It is curable with pills or an ointment prescribe by a doctor. Tell your doctor about your pressure and if they do not mention getting tested, mention it! Always best to be 100% sure. Do not ignore these symptoms if they continue to persist for longer than what should be normal. I should have gone LONG before a month and a half.

Note again: You do not have to have had sex to get bacterial vaginosis.
After having sex 12 hours ago, I keep feeling this strange sensation, not queefing, which I'm familiar with, but sort of similar. It feels like my va-jay-jay is slowly releasing a small amount of air every few minutes, or think of the feeling you might experience when your hand "goes to sleep." It's annoying, not painful at all. This has never happened before, and I'm slightly concerned that I might be pregnant, like something is forming down there. My period should start in a couple of days, though, so maybe it's related to that (as other comments have mentioned). I'm not sure what to make of this. Sometimes, being a woman can certainly be a drag.
This is weird because I am going through this rite now. I've tried everything. Wont nothing help. I've been looking for resources that's how I found this page.
OMG! Thank you Liz, you are the only one that gets air bubble the same way I do. Man it can be painful as well. Thanks for sharing.
i think sex is the result to your solution.......let your husband put u in a backward position an let him strike u in an out very easy will u **** your butt up an that's how I get the gas out of my vigina trust me it works
I  don't think that's the same thing dear.
It's not a "quief"  which feels like a large pocket of air and is usually quite easy to come out. What I think the poster is talking about it just a very small but surprisingly annoying air bubble. I have tried everything to get it out except the lifting your legs and pulling them back onto the floor by your head. I have it right now and I can't sleep because of it. Note: my AF is due in 5 days. Tht seems to be a common factor in all of these.
Why do we have these air bubbles
To the women who are snickering, really ladies, no one knows your body better than you. And I think anyone should know the difference of air escaping their A**, and their vagina. Grow up.

I experience this problem too. Like you stated it does not seem to have anything to do with if or when I am more sexually active or not with my husband.

With me it is very noticeable during my cycle. The air seems to gush out and I can hear it, so I'm nervous that other might too.

Luckily for me there is no discomfort with this (although I have other discomfort issues). When I stand up after sitting for a while, and after a drive stepping out of the car is very noticeable for me.

I too would love to have an answer for this.
OMG, I don't why it took me so long to google this, but over the past couple of months it's gotten so much worse though, I've been experiencing it for years.  It drives me INSANE!!!!!!!  It's so uncomfortable.  While I'm driving, walking, sitting at my desk at work, sitting on the couch, when I go to bed.  

I haven't had a period in years due to a medical procedure so for me, it's definitely not associated with that.

I really need an answer and my GYN doesn't have any ideas.  

I get so pissed off when I can't get the "bubbles" to move and get out of the way. I've shaved, not shaved, done all kinds of things, but at the end of the day I end up squiggling around and always trying to push those air bubbles out and wanting to scream.

I'm so glad I found this because I was beginning to think I'm going crazy.

I hope to find an answer.
Some inverted yoga poses can help...I experience it no more.....I am a 31 year old and growing as a woman is just an impressive journey. I like to stretch a lot on the bed and elevate my legs due to poor circulation problems. One day I started to push my legs farther and opened them wide and the bubbles came out, I feel a positive change and practice it very often. You all should try it!!!
Did you mean you are lying on your stomach or back or side when you open your legs? Sounds an awful question but I'm seriously trying to find a solution. This is drive me nuts. I'm that close to swallowing  all the tablets on my bedside cabinet and that's about 77.  Right now that seems THE ONLY way out.
I discovered this way not long ago. I don't do yoga, but I just stand either in my kitchen or bedroom with my hands on the counter or dresser. Then, I quickly lift one leg to the side as high as I can. I then bring it down pretty fast too. I do maybe 10 of these with each leg. That helps some.
I don't do yoga, but I stand in front of my kitchen counter or my bedroom dresser. I put my hands on whichever one, and I kick my leg out to the side as quickly as possible. I do this about 8-10 times with each leg just about every day. It can get a bit noisy with how much actually comes out at times. That's why I do it when I am alone.
I just recently had my second baby 2 months ago. My baby was 9lbs, and I got the worst hemorrhoids due to it. ( yes, worse then giving birth! I thought I would pass out going to the bathroom) Maybe I do have a small tear between the two canals. I swear I had this problem before, but didn't think of it as a bad thing.So, hopefully, there is no tear. It bothers me now, as the bubbles hurt when they pass a certain part in my vagina, since I ripped. I've been on two rounds of antibiotics for infections. Last, round he didn't check me out, as I was still very tender.  Maybe, they are due to infections. When I was on the last round of antibiotics, i was also on my first period. I didn't notice the bubbles.  Anyways, a few days after my antibiotics and my period was over, I noticed the bubbles,and the pain around my tear..I also started feeling like poop again. Hopefully, things get figured out.  Anyways, going to him with all the information is going to help! I want to get back to feeling normal! I can't even carry my baby around in her car seat due to not healing and hemorrhoids.Having these bubbles with everything else that is going on, *****! So, far I can rule out sex as a culprit, as we haven't had it for almost 8 months due to complications with my pregnancy. Going to get infections checked. Possible tears between the canals checked. Get my bladder checked! Hopefully, it's in the right spot. Also, I hope the Dr will agree to all this!
Hello purple midnight!

I am a certified midwife, your hemroids are linked to the pressure of carrying your baby internally, and of course pushing during giving birth. It seems that you should have been healed after 2mos regarding your tears..when people are ready to start a family and have children close together it usually is about 2 mo after giving birrh they want to get pregnant with another. Maybe you could consider switching gynecologists. The air in the vagina could be linked to a lot of things. And is less likely to have nothing to do with your tearing. I would highly recommend finding a new dr. So you can have your sex life back with your husband after 8months of not being able to please him as well. Also the rise of infection is a concern. If your still this sore after 2mos this is not normal and you could be prone to infection. I just noticed you had made this post going on a year ago.  Has things changed since this?
I have had this problem too. here is an amazing solution but kind of weird.

Go into a yoga pose called "candle stick pose" and then lower your legs fairly quickly. This will release all the gas (in your vagina or your butt) so you might want to be alone when you do it lol

Hope this helps
After 2 months of testing (urine sample, ultrasound, blood test, pelvic exam), "pelvic organ prolapse" is my diagnosis. No odor, discharge, or infection. I just have the uncomfortable feeling of an air bubble in my vagina, 24/7. This pressure is caused by an inflamed bowel, which is pushing on the other pelvic organs. Not even close to a "queef."
How long does this last? Did it ever get better? Im having the same thing and have tried everything to get read if it and nothing has helped. Hope everything has gotten better in your end
Hello! I am experiencing the same thing currently. What is the treatment for this and how are u feeling?? Thx!!
So what was the solution? We just have to live with a bubble chilling in the vajayjay??
Hey ladies, a while ago I remember searching the same thing and no one had answers. Turns out it was something called Bacterial Vaginosis. It is relatively harmless, turns up in women from their late 20s onwards and is treatable with antibiotics. Common side effects are the feeling of bubbles in it escaping your vagina and sometimes an accompanying smell that is not terrible but noticeable. Hope this helps.
I should add of course that it's only bv if the air bubbles are actually escaping your vagina. The feeling of a bubble that won't come out could be different.
The absolute best thing that has helped me is drinking a probiotic like Lifeway kefir at least every other day. I hate the taste, but if I remember to do this, then I don't have my bubbles anymore at all. Then, I get lax and forget to drink it, and I kick myself right after drinking another glass of it.

It truly is the only thing that completely helps me. I do the kicks with my legs, and that temporarily helps, but nothing does the job like kefir.
This happens to me also. I think its just gas. I get gas in my head, neck, vagina, womb and several other places. What i do is boil orange peels, ginger and about 2cloves crushed garlic with skin on, after mixture has come to a boil let simmer for a 5mins or more to make sure all potency is out and then strain . I then season with a tsp of brown sugar (optional) just for taste and i drink as hot as possible. If you have ulcerated stomach problems then you can exclude ginger the rest of the ingredients will work just fine. Hope this helps.