Air in uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Air in uterus

I was recently ill with gastroenteritis and had a CAT scan of my digestive tract taken. The doctor noted that the scan revealed that my uterus was filled with air. I was shocked. But at the time, I did not ask the doctor many questions about this finding because I was concentrating on trying to feel better and that discovery had nothing directly to do with my illness.

But now that I'm recovered, I'm sort of panicked about the finding. I have felt a strange constant bloatedness for months now, and an uncomfortable sort of numbness in my abdomen. I attributed it to weight gain after quitting smoking several months ago.

So it's air in my uterus that's been causing this feeling? I don't know how it got there - I have not had intercourse in a long time, so its not as a result of sex. I have a guess that because I suffer from flatulence that that somehow that could be an issue, but I don't know.

Is this common? Is it treatable? How do I get the air out of there and prevent it from getting back in? If I don't get it out and it keeps filling, how long before I have a very serious problem on my hands? Am I in trouble now and should I see my doctor right away (the doctor who treated me was an ER doctor)?

Thank you for any information. I have tried google searches and have come up with nothing definitive on this condition.
I SERIOUSLY doubt your uterus is filled with air.  An ER doc is not necessarily skilled in interpreting gynecological findings, so I would suspect he had trouble recognizing what he was seeing.

I'd go to your GYN and ask his/her opinion, especially in light of the bloating and uncomfortable feeling in your abdomen.  Could be some other GYN condition (cyst, endometriosis or something else) that is causing your symptoms.

But don't worry about air.  I'd bet anything he just was plain wrong.
i think its just your doctors head is filled with air.