Aldara and HPV Genital Warts

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Aldara and HPV Genital Warts

Hello:
I have HPV genital warts and most of them are fairly small.  I have one at the opening of the vaginal and a few on the outer lips of the vagina.  I have a large cluster of them around my anus (very embarassing I know), which are very uncomfortable and make it difficult to go to the bathroom.  I was prescribed with Aldara Cream and I just started using it.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with this cream and its effectiveness on genital warts.  These warts seem to be very stubborn and I have been to the doctor on numerous occations to have them frozen off, but that is very painful and embarassing so I am now trying the cream.  I just want to know what I can expect from this.  Thanks ladies...and gents if there are any willing to respond to this post :)

SickandTired
I've never used aldara on myself, but I have used it in mouse experiments.

From what I understand you may have a reaction to the cream right at the site that you apply it. The skin may become red, inflammed even kind of scabby.  This sounds scary, but it is proof that your immune system is responding.  This cream has sucessfully removed small melanoma's from patients skin and genital warts.  If the reaction becomes severe, talk with your doctor about changing the timing of application.  Like, every other day instead of every day.  Make sure to wash the cream off of your hands and to not get it on unaffected skin.

Hope this helps a little.
Just be careful not to get excess cream on parts of your skin where the warts are not.  Warts are tough little buggers but your regular skin is not. I'm sure you know this but I care enough to check ya know.  

According to drug.com it says it can take several weeks for it to work:  http://www.drugs.com/cdi/aldara.html

Also looks like it has an overall clearance rate of 72% reported in the main FDA trial in females when applied 3 times a week for up to 16 weeks.

So...I guess that means you have a 72% chance it will be effective if used properly.
Thanks for your responses.  THey were very helpful.  I will make sure to use the cream properly and not put it on any area that does not show a bump.  

All the Best!
hi, i have HPV as well. i found out in june  by a biopsy. i used the aldara creme after i had two of them cut off.. the remaingin were in the hood of your vaginal area and 2 tiny ones near the incisions where the others were cut. they came out of nowhere. the creme is very strong. i broke out into tiny blisters went back to the OB and had too do a biopsy for herpes. i thought i was gonna die. 10 agonizing days later, found out it wasnt herpes just a reaction to the medication.
i have not had any new HPV infections since i was told in june.
hi i have started using aldara cream
i have g warts on the outisde and then on the inside when i spread th elips ope, am i allowed to use the cream on the inside of th elips, closer to the cervix, help?
Retta_monroe commented on When Your Cold Is Not...
Des_a_rae, KTowne, and pb95 commented on Des_a_rae's status
JuliWordgirl looking for information on ... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals