Amenorrhea for over a year
Hi, I lost a little over a hundred pounds in 11 months and have been maintaining for a year. In June of last year I missed my period and didnt get it again until January. I have not had it again since. I saw my pcp who told me it was most likely that my body needed to adjust to the weight loss and amount of exercise. He said it was likely okay but he would do blood work and a vaginal exam to be sure. He asked if everything did turn out, did not getting my period bother me, because if it did he could put me on birth control. I said it didnt bother me (I'm not sexually active and have no desire to have children). So my question is, if i stopped menstrating, does that mean i am in menopause?  Is it okay for a 29 year old stop getting a period?  I know athletes can lose their periods but I am not at that level. I work out an hour a day either on my elliptical or running 6 days a week. I am at a healthy weight (5'4, 140 pounds and always eat at least 1200 calories a day. Thanks
How are you? Cessation of period may be brought about by amenorrhea. In your case, this is secondary amenorrhea and may be attributed to a variety of issues such as as hormone changes, birth control methods, stress, poor nutrition, medication side effects, extreme weight loss, depression, illnesses, sudden weight gain or being very overweight, thyroid gland disorders, and tumors on the ovaries. If this persists, additional diagnostic tests such as imaging studies may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.