Anyone else use Seasonique (Birth Control)?
I just started using Seasonique (used to be called Seasonal) Dec 19,2006 and I'm hoping there will be some ladies on here that can provide me with some feed back. I was hoping I would be able to read the insert that was supposed to come with the filled prescription, but the pharmacy didn't include it in the bag. Anywho, can anyone tell me if they had swollen, sore breast and sore nipples when they first started taking this type of bc? My stomach is also a little tender to the touch. I'm just wanting to see if anyone else experienced these side effects when first starting this type of bc. I used to use the Nuva Ring prior to the switch. Also, for those of you who have been using this type of bc for awhile, how do you like it? I'm still trying to get used to taking a pill daily, I've only had to double up twice so far. Thanks in advance for your feed back.
Oh my word...I'm supposed to start the Seasonique today...but now I'm too afraid...Dr. said it would help my mood swings and heavy periods.  Many years ago I took the pill and was sick to my stomache, tired and very very moody, all the time...My husband has had a vascectomy...so I don't need it for bc.  I think I will just wait it out...does'nt sound like much has changed!  Thank you so much for sharing your stories...!!
I am currently taking Seasonique and the only issue I have had is breast tenderness, I wear a bra to bed and two when I work out/ ride my horse. I completely skipped my period in the first month of taking it, no breakthrough bleeding and have actually found it has leveled out my moods quite nicely. I used to get murderously ticked about ANYTHING the week before my period and now I am just my usually chill self. I am lovin' it.
I've now been on Seasonique for 7 weeks and still bleeding. I've bleed all but 3 days since I started this pill. I'm trying to hang in there until I have my follow-up appt. this Friday, but it's been very trying. I really wanted this pill to work for me and I love the concept of this pill, but I'm at my breaking point. I was terribly irritatable and moody in the beginning, but that has finally subsided. But this bleeding has been horrible - full on heavy period style bleeding, not just occasional spotting.
I have been on bc for about 12 years.  I took orthotricyclen for most of those years until about 8 months ago my new gyno suggested Seasonique to help with my migraines.  I thought it sounded great.  I was on Seasonique for 7 months and I literally got to the point where I thought I was going crazy.  I didn't know how to deal with life, I cried all the time, I wasn't motivated to do any of the normal things I did in life, etc.  I couldn't make myself function like my normal self.  My husband was going to check my into a mental health hospital.  The only change I had made in my life was the Seasonique.  I have been off it for about a month now and things have improved, however now I am suffering from such a bad hormonal inbalance.  I am taking natural supplements from my holistic dr. to try and get back on track.  I absolutely do not recommend taking this bc.  Think about it... our bodies are made to menstrate once a month.  What in the world are we doing to our hormones in order to stop our bodies from performing what is only natural?  Please think twice before taking this bc.  
I was on Kariva (Mircette generic) for years (NEVER HAD ANY PROBS with this or any other BCP) and switched to Seasonique 9 weeks ago. For the last week I have had small spotting episodes, light cramping and weird, throbbing (but not debilitating) headaches that will not go away, even with taking Advil or Excedrin. I assume it's from the new pill. I will take the rest of the 13 week pack and then see if things improve. Anyone else have these problems?
I had a follow-up appt. with my OB-GYN on Friday and she decided to take me off of Seasonique. She said breakthrough spotting is very common, for up to 6 months. But in my case, it has not been breakthrough spotting - it has been constant, heavy bleeding. She said that I obviously need a pill with a higher dosage of progesterone, so I have switched to a different BC. If anyone experiences the constant, heavy bleeding that I experienced, I suggest you do not try to wait it out - call your doctor and switch rather than just hoping the bleeding will go away.

My doctor also told me that if I liked the concept of taking active pills consecutively and having only 4 periods each year, that method can be obtained using any BC that has 3 weeks of the same hormone levels. You simply keep taking the active pills and don't take the placebo pills. She said that method has been done for years for women with certain medical conditions. So if you're trying Seasonique for the 4 periods each year, you don't necessarily have to put up with the awful side-effects to achieve the lesser periods.
I started seasonique on 6/20/07 and everything has been going great up until the last week of August. I started a little spotting, then on 9/9/07 my period started, a week before it should. So far this is the worst effect as its been great so far (except for one more thing, the weight gain of 4 lbs. which my dr. says is just from me, although the packed clearly states it is a serious side effect and I should contact my dr.). I'm hoping as some people have stated, that on my next cycle my body will become use to the pills, and the weight will go away, if not I'm going to look into another pill and just take the active pills for 3 wks. I'm taking seasonique to control my moodiness, outbursts and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY!! In fact two weeks before yesterday, I noticed myself becoming moody and definately don't miss that every month. I'll see how long my period goes.
I started seasonique at the end of July, 2007. It is now Sept. 10, and I have had bleeding for the entire time.  At first I was wearing panty liners but they were ineffective.  I am bleeding as if I have had a full blown period and wearing tampons and pads. I am calling my doctor to ask if this bleeding is normal.  This btb is not at all what I expected and I'm very disappointed in Seasonique.  If it continues I'm quitting this pill.  Anyone who has had similar bleeding?
This is my second week taking Seasonique, and I am experiencing different symptom then posted on this board. My first week taking these pills I had acid reflux so bad that I did not want to eat anything. I felt like I had a big piece of burning bread in my throat. I thought it was this other medicine I was taking for a bladder infection. However I am finished with that medicine, and still have the acid feeling. I don't know if it's just me, but after I take the pill in the morning I get that feeling. It's not as bad as the first week, I can handle it. But its annoying. I thought it was one of the symptoms that I would experience, but nowhere does it say acid reflux. Does anyone else have this symptom or I am the only one???
Hi 0720,
I had the exact same issue! I lasted 8 weeks on Seasonique and I finally just quit. 2 days after I started the pills, the bleeding began. And it wasn't just spotting - it was constant flow, like a typical period. Soaking a pad, not just a pantyliner! I kept taking the pill, telling myself to just stick with it and it would surely end soon. I had a scheduled appt. with my OB-GYN on 9/7, so I discussed the bleeding with her. She said that heavy bleeding is very common on Seasonique - for up to 6 months - but that almost 30% of women who take it quit before the bleeding can subside because it goes on for so long. I told her it wasn't worth it to me then. She said that women experiencing a lot of bleeding on Seasonique typically need a pill with a higher level of progesterone, so she switched me to Junel (I think that's the spelling?). I started the new pill on Sunday and after just 2 days, the bleeding is beginning to subside. I still have a little spotting and need a pantyliner, but it's not nearly what I had experienced for the past 8 weeks! I definitely think you might want to talk to your doctor and discuss any other options. The side effects of Seasonique just were not worth it to me. Good Luck!!
Thanks kwoerd!

I did not get to call my doctor today but will tomorrow.  I agree with you that there has to be another option that will work for me.  This is not working. I appreciate your feedback. It is reassuring to know that  it's not just me.  Good luck to you and I'll post again after I see my dr.
I am on my 13th week taking seasonique and have been bleeding steady for the last 3 weeks.  No spotting before then and it is just now starting to lighten up.  I am taking seasonique after a friend told me about it and my periods started coming every 20 days and lasted a whole week.  I am 47 and plan to take this bc pill for a few years to get thru these peri-menapousal symptoms.  I had breast tenderness for a few days  but have not gained any weight.  I have been a little moody but cannot blame on seasonique at this point.  I plan to stick it out but appreciate the other ideas with other bc pills if it doesn't turn around after 6 months.
It is such a relief to read everyone's testimonials and know that I am not the only one experiencing weird side effects.  I read the whole pamphlet that came with my first pack of pills, and I never read anywhere that breast tenderness would be this intense.  I have been cramping for the past few days, possibly because I would have been getting my period now if I wasn't on Seasonique.  This is my first experience with any type of pill, and I have been making myself crazy thinking that I am pregnant because of this breast pain!  This is my 6th week on Seasonique and other than some spotting which made my initial starting period feel like it lasted forever, I haven't had any.  I really don't like reading about the painful periods a lot of people are experiencing on Seasonique since that is one of the reasons I wanted to start taking a pill in the first place.          
About 4 weeks ago my Dr. switched me from Loestrin to Seasonique... At first I thought everything was great, but today I realized that it was about 4 weeks ago that I started having really strange headaches.  They are not exactly a miagrane yet they don't feel completely like a stress headache either.  However, i teach so that could definetly be the probelm.  I have been mood recently too.  I just thought it was the headache caused by stress.  Now, I am beginning to wonder if this could also be a side effect of Seasonique.  I agree with AJD1981 in that it is a relief to hear other peoples testimonials about side effects!
I am supposed to start Seasonique the first day of my next period, but now I am very nervous after reading these stories. My cramps and emotional episodes are so severe when I have my period, and after trying natural methods tha have failed I am going to use the pill as a last resort. It seems though that the side effects are just as bad if not worse then my symptoms. My Dr. said birth control has never been proven to cause weight gain? I recently just lost a lot of weight and after my hard work I'd hate to put it back on. Is it that the pill increases appitite or do you just gain? Idk, it seems like everyone's body is different so I will try and see.
Wow- I am so glad that I am not alone!  I am 2 weeks into my 3rd month of Seasonique and I am having some significant spotting, which is a pain and inconvient, but doable.  The thing that is getting me is total loss of sex drive and the desire to be totally isolated from family and friends.  I thought that it was  my anti- depressent, but I never put the 2 together before now.  I had horrible periods that lasted 20 days...so I started this pill, and I couldn't understand way I didn't feel better emotionally, when I definitely felt better physically.  And No more crazy periods!  I should've been the happiest woman alive...but I went from having the sex drive of a 15 year old boy and dating 4 x a week, to 0 drive and staying home on the couch like a slug.  I was considering counseling, but now it sounds like it might be related.  It just doesn't make sense.  any thoughts?
I am halfway through the second month of Seasonique.  I had been experiencing no side-effects and thought this was the greatest pill ever.  Then, a little over a week ago, I was grocery shopping when blood started gushing out of me.  I had felt strange and very, very tired all day.  I was also having some cramps, but didn't think anything like that was going to happen.  It was awful, not to mention embarrassing.  Now the bleeding has slowed down to some spotting.  I've even had a couple of days with no spotting at all.  Every time I've attempted to have sex though, I start bleeding.    My boyfriend freaks out and thinks I'm hurt or dying and starts patting my head, etc.  My sex-drive is fine, but the bleeding is a real mood killer and it's starting to make me feel gross and undesirable.  Is anyone else experiencing this?
Well i commented earlier that I was only experiencing the breast tenderness, but a week later (end of week #7) I am in a completely different boat.  I have been bleeding nonstop (and yes it's more than spotting), I have horrible cramps that I had to miss a day of work for, and to make things worse, my gynocologists office is not answering the phone today!  I have also noticed that I have some weird headaches, bloating and been overly tired, I don't want to say for sure that Seasonique is the cause, but there is really nothing else to attribute it to.  For a pill that is supposed to cure all the PMS symptoms, it has unnecessarily intensified mine, and I shouldn't even have a "period" for another 6 weeks!  I hear ya with the bleeding being a mood killer too.  If it is that I'm not having sex because I'm doubled over in pain, then its because I am bleeding like crazy which doesn't make me feel too attractive.  I hope this subsides soon, I'm only giving it another few days to prove its worth to me!
Boy, I'm sorry to hear that.  I know what you're going through.  Yours hit you about the same time on the pill that it hit me.  I shouldn't say it, because I'm probably cursing myself, but today has been the first day that I have been "normal" in two weeks.  Tomorrow? Who knows with this pill.  I guess I'll hope for the best.  Hang-in there a little longer.  Hopefully it'll stop soon.  By the same token, I'm really thinking hard about whether I want to continue with this at all, as well.  It's completely unnatural feeling and, frankly, it's starting to creep me out.  I've been on birth control pills before, but I've never felt like this.  I think they're affecting my over all mood.  Not really irritable, or pms-y feeling,  but just weird.  I just feel weird.
I'm on my 3rd month of Seasonique.  I started taking it for migraine headache, and it's been great.  I had no breakthrough bleeding until a little over a week ago, and I've had bleeding every day since - certainly not gushing but more than spotting.  My issue is night sweats - I take a lot of meds for migraine, but I haven't changed anything recently.  For the last several weeks I've had severe night sweats, and I'm wondering if it's the Pill.  I'm planning to stay on Seasonique because it's really helped my headaches, and I'm looking forward to the pill that never has a placebo week.  The night sweats are getting a bit unnerving, and I'm hoping that they, like the bleeding, will stop in time.