Anyone had an "endometrial biopsy" without having any major symptoms? Just endo cells showing up on pap...if so, please reply! Thanks
I had a pap smear a little over a month ago, appox. on Day 5 of my period (last day).  I'm 42 yrs old, overweight, no pregnancies, no previous abnormal paps, last pap was in 2009 and was normal.  

This year's pap came back with results showing "endometrial cells" present.  

The Dr wants me to have an endometrial biopsy to check things.  I'm okay with that--good precaution.  I'm just confused though.  Seems like those cells might be commonly found in a pre-menopausal female on Day 5 of her cycle.  But the Dr. says that shouldn't have anythng to do with it and that she wants me to have the biopsy.  So I guess I'm doing it this Friday 11/12.

I have read good and bad things on this website--painful and not so painful comments from folks.  I don't know what to expect.  I'm scared because I'm not having any symptoms like bleeding between period or spotting, irregular bleeding--nothing like that, and certainly no pelvic pain or anything like that.  

My cycle is like clockwork--every 28 days but as I understand it...I could have too much estrogen in my body and the progesterone phase doesn't kick in and the endometrial lining might not be completely sluffing off during my period & leaving behind a thicker lining that builds up gradually.  I'm not on birth control pills which might would have helped the situation some--but I've been off of them for about 4 years now...got married late in life @ age 38.  Hubby and I tried to conceive for about 1 year and just gave up trying and figured if it happens it happens so we stopped thinking about it and I just never bothered to get back on the pill because I figured I couldn't get pregnant because it wasn't happening for us.  I never pursued any medical testing or anything--just decided to see if it happened or not.  Now it appears that these 4 years of NOT using birth control may have contributed to my excess estrogen in my body, not to mention that fat produces estrogen too and since I'm overweight--that has made it worse.  So I'm just confused as to what to expect from this biopsy.  

I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had a similar experience--having NO SYMPTOMS but needing an ENDO BIOPSY due to an abnormal PAP SMEAR result or a pap that had identified endo cells being present.

I sure do hope it's nothing...or that birth control pills or some progesterone hormone treatment can help the situation and possibly REVERSE what's going on.  I'm really overweight, over 100 lbs, and I know that's bad.  I'm just starting the process for having RNY (Gastric Bypass) surgery in Feb 2011.  I know that losing an excess amount of weight should help my situation tremendously, but for now I have to do the endo biopsy and am just hoping that I'm not too late at finding something before it gets serious or has gotten serious like "endo hyperplasia or endo cancer" even.  It's very concerning to me and I'm gonna worry myself sick over this until my Dr's appt Friday and then after that appt I'll go crazy until I get a call with the results.  It will be an agonizing time for me for sure.  I dread it, but am hopeful that I'm catching anything that needs to be caught EARLY.

Please write back if you've had a similar problem or relate-able story similar to mine.  I'd love to hear from you.  I can use all of the support I can get.  

Thanks!!!!   :~)
I had one years ago for the same reason (I was in my early 30s), and I wasn't having any symptoms either. I'm not sure why it was necessary, but it seems to be the accepted protocol for having AGCUS.  I don't remember much about the actual procedure since it was such a long time ago, but the biopsy came back negative, and I went years without having another problem.

I did, however, just have another endometrial biopsy just this morning for abnormal bleeding.  My doctor found a cervical polyp that most likely was causing the problem, but she went ahead with the endometrial biopsy just to be safe. It really wasn't that awful, just some pinching.  Just remember to take 800 mg of ibuprofen 30-60 minutes before the procedure.  Also, I found that it helped to distract myself with a magazine and do deep breathing during the biopsy.  The whole thing (including polyp removal) lasted about five minutes.

I think relatively few pap smears come back with AGCUS, but it certainly doesn't mean you have cancer. You are doing the right thing by checking it out.  It is most likely nothing to worry about.  Best wishes.