Are mood swings a side effect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Are mood swings a side effect?

I have heard that being on birth control kinda tricks your body into thinking its pregnant.  Well, I've noticed that shortly before I start my period, I start getting EXTREMELY emotional, and during the week I'm not taking the pill, I just feel terrible.  I'm not really like that when I'm not taking birth control. I hadn't heard that extreme "mood swings" were a side effect, but it's really the only thing I can think of that could cause it.  Am I crazy or is that pretty common?
Definitely makes me feel better that I'm not alone! :)

Is there any way to help with it?  Or just gotta deal with it for a while?

Thank you so much!
Exercise definitely seems to release some steam.  Working out before, and during your period controls mood swings and irratibility more than anything else that you could try.  And hey...it is actually good for us.  Even if you just take a walk.  You don't have to engage in anything difficult.  Good Luck!!
I was just telling somebody the other day that I think my PMS is worse when I am on the pill! I snap at my poor fiance constantly the week before my period.
Definitely exercise or even a walk helps tremendously with mood and cramps, for me personally.
All righty, I'll definitely give it a shot, and maybe even get my bf to go on a walk with me (I'm sure he won't mind if it helps with the mood swings ;).  I'm really relieved to know it's not just me being silly; it does happen! :)  

Thank you so much for your help!
I am the exact same. I'm about 3 days away from finishing a pack of pills, and today I woke up GROUCHY as ever!!!! it never fails.
VERY common!!!  My DH knows to watch out a week before, during and sometimes a week after.
Some people go through a withdraw from the estrogen in your pills. Ask your 0b/gyn and they might be able to give you something during that time that will help.