Arms Fall Asleep at Night (no matter how I lay)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I need some direction on what kind of doctor to go to for my arms falling alseep. I wake up and they are asleep every night. I have worked on a computer for 20 years. I have been to chiropractor and it did help a little but was hoping to manage it on my own.  Anyone have any help on this subject?
It sounds like you have carpal tunnel syndrome.  My mom had it and she also works on a computer.  She has surgery on both hands and no longer has any trouble and does what she wants.  You can also wear the braces at night, that may help with sleep.  It sounds funny but the only way my mom could sleep before surgery was flat on her back with her elbows bent and her hands laying beside her face (if that makes since and you can picture that).
Heres some info:
What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome?
   Symptoms usually start gradually, with frequent burning, tingling, or itching numbness in the palm of the hand and the fingers, especially the thumb and the index and middle fingers. Some carpal tunnel sufferers say their fingers feel useless and swollen, even though little or no swelling is apparent. The symptoms often first appear in one or both hands during the night, since many people sleep with flexed wrists. A person with carpal tunnel syndrome may wake up feeling the need to "shake out" the hand or wrist. As symptoms worsen, people might feel tingling during the day. Decreased grip strength may make it difficult to form a fist, grasp small objects, or perform other manual tasks. In chronic and/or untreated cases, the muscles at the base of the thumb may waste away. Some people are unable to tell between hot and cold by touch.

For additonal info check this website out:
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/carpal_tunnel/detail_carpal_tunnel.htm

Hope this info helps!
Jen
I was having a lot of problems with waking up at night with my forearm and hand numb.  I discovered by accident that it was being aggravated by a long-sleeved cotton nightgown I slept in that apparently was constricting blood flow or something else..  Now I wear loose pajamas with 95% cotton and 5% spandex, I use a medium low pillow, and I don't seem to have the problem at night any more.  It still happens at times early in the a.m when I'm holding a book or the telephone.  But at. least I can get a good night's  sleep without pain and numbness!!