Average age when Period starts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Average age when Period starts

My neice is just turned 9 and had her first period over the weekend. We live in california, is the average age around that? My home country is about 12-13. I got mine when I was 13 and some of my friends had around that age or later. I did not hear about anyone before that. Are there reading material available for to be able to understand? How much should her mum tell her? She had lots of questions.
Most of my friends got theirs about 12-13, a few got it later. I got mine when I was 10. My cousins also got theirs between 9-10 too. I feel for her, I wish I could have waited until 12-13!
The date of onset of periods has gotten younger in the last 20 years or so because of, who knows? better nutrition?  Better care of children healthwise?  Age 9 is not astonishing but it does put some pressure on, that is for sure.  Her mum should tell her everything she needs to know, or else for sure her schoolmates will and their info will be a combination of invention, fact and myth.  If her mum doesn't know what to tell her, there are good books and probably good websites too.
My grandmother had her first period at age 9, my mother was 16, and I was 11.  I think its rare for 9 but possible.  Average age is between 12 - 14.  Her mother should tell her as much as the little girl wants and needs to know.  It is essential that she understands the changes her body is going through and what entering "womanhood" means.  Not that she is an adult mentally, but physically she is.  The more knowledgable she is the more mature she will be in handeling the situations that arise in being a teenage girl.  Those years can be very confusing and difficult.  You or her mother should pick up pamphlets at the gynecologist's office or from a Planned Parenthood.  There are also very resourceful books on entering puberity you can get at the local Barnes & Noble.
Thanks to all. I spoke with my sister today. She did talk to my neice about it. Sis said my neice is confused, sad, surprised, embarrased, shy about this huge change in her body. She does not know how to walk, feels very uncomfortable right now. Good thing that she is not having any cramping. My neice and I are very close, I don't want to approach her, I'll give her time to talk to me herself. Just want to make her feel supported.
i was 11, but my niece got hers and she is 9 also.  mine was about 10 years ago.
5th grade...day(literally!) of my 11th b-day...and i was tryin to be quiet bout it, but mom had 2 tell ever one her baby was becomin a woman....my sister is almost 12, however, and has NOT started hers...
I was 12. There were a few girls in my class that were nine and ten but not many.  I have heard that girls are going through puberty earlier due to the hormones that they put in meat.  Scary, huh?
my neighbour gave me an article which stated a girl in some village in asia gave birth at 9??????? they showed her picture and everything!!!! her mum stated that she still watches cartoons and doesnt know what really is happening.... she had a c-section ....Isnt this crazy? a baby having a baby
I was 9 when i got mine, most people i know was around 13. I am 31 now.

I disagree with pervious comment on better nutrition.

Meats have been pumped with hormones for decades, which do effect us to develop at an earlier age.

I have had a hormone inbalance which made me have 2 periods a month for the past few years.

I eliminated beef from my diet and eating all organic meats and vegetables and taking herbal suppliments for help balance and my periods are back to normal.